Bringing new life to an ancient fortress
February 17th, 2011

Restoring Herat's legendary citadel

The ancient citadel building in Herat is undergoing a massive restoration, which officials say they hope to finish by May with an extended deadline just announced. Late last year, CNN's Tommy Evans and Nic Robertson explored the citadel, where workers were on the way to completing restoration of the baked brick parapet around the perimeter wall, consolidation of existing historic structures within the site and the clearing of accumulated debris from the area.

1. Dan from Chicago, IL

Nobody is justifying the killing of innocent people. Just those who are terrorists, Taliban and those who help them with their mission to destroy what we have built up in Afghanistan! They do not want us to succeed because they want to again have a place where they can plot, train and recruit terrorists to attack western civilization! DO NOT THINK THAT WE ARE FOOLS! AFGHANISTAN WILL BECOME A FREE AND DEMOCRATIC NATION THAT WILL BE A PARTNER IN THE WAR ON TERRORISM! SO YOU FOOLS CAN HIDE IN YOUR CAVE OR BEGIN TO ACT LIKE LOVING AND CARING HUMANS INSTEAD OF THE ANIMALS THAT YOU ARE OR THE DRONES WILL BE DROPPING FIRE UPON YOUR HEADS!

February 19, 2011 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • salerno

Dan you and other americans are justifying the killing of innocent people in order to kill the enemy. This is not only anti-christian, but also a crime. This is why US are considered so badly.

February 19, 2011 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dan from Chicago, IL

Salerno if the Taliban would not hide in traditional clothing behind the civilian population there would be less accidental killing of innocent people, but like in all wars innocent civilians do get killed mistakenly. As for the enemy killing innocent lives they do it without remorse and will send out another suicide bomber as soon as they can get one ready to go across the border from Pakistan. They have killed hundreds if not thousands more innocent lives than NATO or Afghan security forces have! And I never hear you say anything about this sick and horrific crime that kills so many people, but maybe you do not care for their lives so much because they also believe in freedom and democracy, you only cry out when those who are killed are people who sympathize with the Taliban and their terrorist allies!

February 19, 2011 at 11:39 pm | Report abuse |
      • salerno

All civilians killing is caused directly or indirectly by US invasion. This is why people like Bangash and other are protesting claiming Osama and Obama are 2 faces of the same coin. Let the people solve their problem without your intervention.
        You are like the terrorists. No difference.

February 20, 2011 at 7:40 am | Report abuse |
      • Dan from Chicago, IL

And what problem is that? Force rules over the people? BUT YOU STILL DO NOT GET IT THE TALIBAN HARBORED THOSE WHO PLOTTED AND ATTACKED THE USA! LETS SAY A KILLER WAS IN YOUR HOUSE IN THE US AND THE POLICE CAME TO GET HIM BUT YOU DID NOT GIVE HIM UP TO THEM, YOU THEN ARE AS MUCH OF A CRIMINAL AS THE KILLER FOR HARBORING HIM AND WOULD FACE THE CONSEQUENCES. THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED TO THE TALIBAN BUT ALSO LIKE SADDAM THEY DESERVE WHAT THEY GET FOR HOW THEY RULED THEIR PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 20, 2011 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
      • salerno

Only few Taliban harbored Osama. Responsibility is individual. They must be identified and targeted precisely, without indiscriminate bombing. These military operations undermined people collaboration, as they are targeted by Osama and by the US in the same time.

February 20, 2011 at 9:21 am | Report abuse |
      • Dan from Chicago, IL

When we came in we came with full force to get Omar, bin Ladan and al Zawahiri they also fought back with full force if they would have surrendered there would not have been a nine year war, but their surrender would have been under our conditions and they did not want that so here we are, surrender or die! There is no other way out until we believe that afghan security forces are capable of handling their own security, but still we will be on the lookout in the region for bin Laden, Omar and al Zawahiri. We will never stop in our objective to capture or kill these criminals!

February 20, 2011 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
      • salerno

Dan – you are bombing indiscriminately even worse than the Taliban, as yesterday 64 civilians were killed, including women and children.

February 21, 2011 at 2:11 am | Report abuse |
    • Dindy..

Very well written Dan. Good Answer. God knows all the pain Americans went through all these years after 3000 or more died on that day. Their families expect justice from God more than us. Their hearts will never heal unless these dangerous suicide bombers surrender or give up their evil acts.

February 21, 2011 at 5:42 am | Report abuse |
      • salerno

I heard many families completely uninterested in revenge through war.

February 21, 2011 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Dindy..

Bangash......you should write your post to salerno .....I am not asking to pray for killers . I asked to pray for the Brave troops who went to fight like real men on the grounds face to face . Not for some crazy men on Jets who went through buildings where innocent people work for their daily bread. why dont you close your eyes and just imagine a jet coming right front of your face and think for whom should you pray.

February 18, 2011 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • salerno

Dindy – the troops are the killers, like the AlQaeda terrorists. No difference.

February 18, 2011 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
      • Dindy..

salerno....you are hurt ,I am hurt. We cant solve this. We should not continue this argument as I have not been in Afghanistan to see the truth But I have been to all over USA and I am happy with their hospitality . I know Afghan people from the books and comments I read and feel they are Jewels unless the Taliban. Also many Muslims are good people to me accept the Al qaeda.

February 19, 2011 at 1:22 am | Report abuse |
      • Dindy..

iI have typed universal prayers in almost every comment page before but you guys ignored .

February 19, 2011 at 1:25 am | Report abuse |
      • salerno

Dindy – your preyers were addressed to support specifically the american troops.

February 19, 2011 at 5:31 am | Report abuse |
      • salerno

So it was not universal as a preyer.

February 19, 2011 at 5:32 am | Report abuse |
      • Dindy

salerno..to recognize the animal nature of others you too must have been an animal

February 21, 2011 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
      • salerno

No Dindy, to recognize an animal you have to be also different. We have an "inferior soul" based on passions and instincts, but some of us have developed a superior soul too, in order to control the inferior. This is the jihad, the sword of Jesus.

February 21, 2011 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • BANGASH

How you can call them brave DINDY when they despite latest weaponry, huge resources are loosing to a poor, weaponless and barefooted Taliban in Afghanistan. You ask your so called real men about their life in Afghanistan so that your doubts about their bravery could be cleared. DINDY you have no mind therefore talking to mindless is useless however when you raise any question on my comments I am bound to reply accordingly. You keep on repeating the 9/11 incident but ignore nine years long killing in Afghanistan and Pakistan despite the fact that none from Afghanistan and Pakistan were involved in this unfortunate incidents. We will pray to GOD for justice and hope soon you will see the justice of GREAT GOD.

February 19, 2011 at 7:19 am | Report abuse |
      • salerno

I too hope we 'll see justice, but even if we 'll not see, finally it will come.

February 19, 2011 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |
      • Dan from Chicago, IL

BANGASH, I am the property of no one but that of Jesus and as He said the Father lets it rain on the good as well as the bad and what good is it if you love those who love you. And he also says love your enemies(which is hard for me to do)and you will be sons of the Most High. Therefor be merciful to your enemies as your Father is merciful. I had prayed that the mountains in northwest Pakistan tribal regions would crumble because of my hatred towards the terrorists who use suicide bombers to kill as many people as possible and now are training children to do the same which we have already seen in Pakistan so my hatred still boils as all they want is to control the people with theocratic rule that gives no mercy for the people which is against the ways of Jesus and the Father. So you can pray and I hope it comes to pass because NATO is their to help the afghan people and to rid the region of terrorists whether you believe it or not. And the Taliban are cowards just like the terrorists because they use their civilian clothing to hide among the civilian population to fight their war and most probably have used suicide bombers also.

February 19, 2011 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
      • salerno

Dan – Jesus did not ask for any property, as well as did not ask to be loved, but asked to love each other, so if you hate somone to the point of justifing the killing of innocent people, you are completely out of his way.

February 19, 2011 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
      • Dindy..

Bangash.......what else can US do rather than using their weapons what they are given from their government? These are two different cultures. US citizen always wear boots or shoes even in their house.while the Taliban are used to walk barefoot or with sandals. In Sri lanka we too walk barefoot but in the Army they wear and use all the modern weapons.
        You know very well Osama was in Afghanistan and their were Taliban training camps too.
        Opium was the main business.
        In Pakistan and Afghan Border they (terrorists) were breeding. So US and Nato were chasing after them. Them Bin hid again somewhere. Now these troops are still there because Taliban also were dangerous.
        I cant understand why you have sympathy for Taliban (nose cutters) and Bin ( who has a spirit of destruction)

February 21, 2011 at 6:00 am | Report abuse |
      • salerno

Bangash is not pro-Taleban. I know many lies were told about Taleban by US military to gain support for war, and mutilations are a tribal problem, but this is not a justification to kill people indiscriminately.

February 21, 2011 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
    • Dindy..

salerno and Bangash......hey two of you so pure and intelligent....as two of you believe why did not two of you forgive and love your most hated enemy ( as you say) US troops ?? At least Dan is honest .He is brave and talk openly to live or die. But two of you are loosing something in your side and trying to save that part from not only lying but with evil words and abusing our names . There is no mercy for Israel even in your heart so how do we believe two of as the followers of God ... Let me tell you something.
      I dont worship a dead body . My God rescued me from five massive explosions which did by Satan"s Army.
      From giving that testimony many have come to salvation in my country and Holy spirit guided me and protected me always when I talked about God to gentiles. Dead body cant protect anyone else. But my living God guides me every day.

February 21, 2011 at 5:38 am | Report abuse |
      • salerno

US troops are not my enemy as they are not bombing me, but I cannot forgive them because they are killing innocent people.
        Bangash deserves all my solidarity because his people is attacked by US military, as well as by AlQaeda-Taliban.

February 21, 2011 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
  3. BANGASH

Please do not take the name of GOD in such dirty political issues. It is insulting DINDY that you are asking to pray for the killers of innocents in Afghanistan and Pakistani public. Why not DINDY you, me, Salerno, DAN and YAKOOBI jointly pray to GOD to help all innocents in Afghanistan, Iraq and rest of the world and destroy all terrorists, criminals, invaders, usurpers and aggressors. Dindy and DAN probably you have no objection to this joint prayers.

February 18, 2011 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
    • salerno

Bangash – this is the right prayer, the onlyone I can joint, because it is universal.
      True God is beyond any form.

February 18, 2011 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
      • BANGASH

Salerno I knew that neither DINDY nor DAN will join us in this universal prayers as they are employees of MIC and these deaths and destructions of innocents is their main source of income . They don't care for GOD commands as they are against their business interests. But God sees all these injustices therefore facing his wrath in this region.

February 19, 2011 at 6:12 am | Report abuse |
    • Dindy..

Bangash..... do as your indwelling spirit say ...Do not tell us what we should do. You are not my GOD.

February 18, 2011 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
      • salerno

Dindy – You were the first pretending to tell me to pray for your stupid soldiers !
        Bangash rightly showed you the universal form of the preyer, not a particular one !
        This is why I rejected your invitation.

February 18, 2011 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dindy..

Bangash..Afghan people will decide what is best for them . with the help of Almighty I will dicide what I should do and how I should pray.

February 19, 2011 at 1:28 am | Report abuse |
    • Dan from Chicago, IL

February 19, 2011 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |
      • BANGASH

DAN you have spoken the truth that JESUS taught you to be merciful to and loving to your enemies but you were bold enough to confess that you can't love enemies. This is greatness of JESUS but you deny this therefore this is for DINDY to comment on your this face. Rest your hate against we tribal is not new and no doubt we are paying high price, but you know your this ignorance of JESUS has now deprived you of your options and now we in this region will decide your fate. Remember GOD decides on merits and make justice on merits, not according to our or your's desires. So be honest to GOD if you beg for his mercy.

February 20, 2011 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
      • salerno

Loving the enemies is difficoult, but killing innocent people including children is just for animals like Dan and Dindy.

February 21, 2011 at 2:09 am | Report abuse |
  4. Dindy..

Salerno.....go ahead....as you wish...Look at things from your third eye(spiritual eyes) Your mind is gambling with Tax you pay to USA while thousands of our children have dedicated their youth for us to live safely. From doing right thing we dont face second death, Instead of blaming everything and every one please pray for these young Men and women out there with your real living God(as you say my God is dead) so they will finish their mission and come home. with your prayers for your true God.

February 18, 2011 at 9:04 am | Report abuse |
    • salerno

Dindy – I do not pray for killers, so I don't care if they die. Some soldiers are better than others, but thay are all voluntary and accepted the possibility to kill innocent, so they are guilty.
      Do not worry about my tax as I don't care even if Obama confirmed the Bush's tax break, this cannot be comparable to the lives wasted by the war. I am not so dependent on the US economy like the american workers. They are really feeĆ²ing the pain, and should revolt like in Egypt and Bahrein.

February 18, 2011 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
      • Dindy..

SALERNO...If you dont care for the death of the soldiers then you have no right to talk about USA. Because USA is built on the many who dedicated their lives. you have no feeling about USA because you went there as a Migrant. Just do not talk about them as you have no covenant with them.

February 18, 2011 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
      • salerno

I have a covenant with USA and the right to criticize the military.

February 18, 2011 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
      • Dan from Chicago, IL

salerno, you have no covenant with the USA. What would be your vow to the United States of America other than terrorism?

February 20, 2011 at 8:59 am | Report abuse |
      • salerno

My vow is to be a loyal partner, not an execution order.

February 21, 2011 at 2:03 am | Report abuse |
  5. Dindy..

salerno...Judge each and every one so you will be judged too. God need to bless Afghanistan with tender mercy and you are always against it because you are worried about your Tax paying to US government,

February 18, 2011 at 7:11 am | Report abuse |
    • salerno

Dindy – as you are a liar you mtry to manipulate what Yacobi or others are telling, but everyone can read that Yacobi did not talk about herself.

February 19, 2011 at 5:17 am | Report abuse |

try- not mtry

February 19, 2011 at 5:17 am | Report abuse |
  6. Dindy..

Thanks to Nic and Tommy for reporting. May God speed up the good work in Afghanistan

February 17, 2011 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • salerno

Dindy – your God is Satan, as you are a false christian.

February 18, 2011 at 2:54 am | Report abuse |
      • Dindy..

salerno.....you dont know me and my relationship with God.I know that no one else can replace God.

February 19, 2011 at 1:32 am | Report abuse |

Dindy –
        I know waht you are saying and that is enough for me to say you are a false christian and your false god is a dead body bringing more dead bodies.

February 19, 2011 at 5:13 am | Report abuse |
      • Dan from Chicago, IL

Salerno why not go all the way and sin against the Holy Spirit too?

February 19, 2011 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
      • salerno

I do not worship a dead body. You are worshiping a dead body because you are a sinner against the Holy Spiirit.

February 21, 2011 at 1:58 am | Report abuse |
      • Dan from Chicago, IL

How then do you receive the Holy Spirit?

February 21, 2011 at 8:53 pm | Report abuse |
      • salerno

Dan – I will not comment on my personal spiritual esperience.

February 22, 2011 at 3:54 am | Report abuse |