February 9th, 2011

Civilian deaths in Afghan fight called 'accident'

Coalition troops "accidentally killed" two Afghan civilians and injured one "during a firefight with insurgents" last week, NATO's International Security Assistance Force said Tuesday.

That conclusion was reached after an assessment of the Thursday incident by the Afghan and ISAF military, it said.

The flare-up occurred in Helmand province's Nahr-e Saraj district.

The unit was ambushed while traveling between two forward operating bases and returned fire at a van they thought was part of the attack.

"During an ambush, a vehicle approached the ISAF convoy at a high rate of speed," an ISAF statement said.

"After determining the vehicle was a potential threat and wouldn't stop, coalition forces reacted by using appropriate escalation of force procedures to protect members."

Civilian deaths in warfare have undermined the credibility of international forces in Afghanistan, and ISAF has been working to avoid them.

– CNN's Joe Sterling contributed to this report

Post by:
Filed under: Civilian deaths
  1. 2020

The same boring stories good luck with their accomplishment.

February 10, 2011 at 2:27 am | Report abuse |
  2. Dindy..

In Afghanistan ......no body knows who is citizen and who is the bomber. Troops must defend themselves too . If anyone come towards you in a wrong speed why not defend.

February 9, 2011 at 10:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • salerno

This is why they are killers. They should stay in USA.

February 10, 2011 at 2:41 am | Report abuse |
    • LarryKegel(US Army)

What are They doing with the Enemy in the first place???

February 10, 2011 at 7:31 pm | Report abuse |
  3. HumanShields

Collatoral damage. Carry on.

February 9, 2011 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Spiro T.Agnew

I totally agree,HumanShields. We do need to go on killing accidentally on purpose. Like I said before,ignorance is bliss or otherwise I would have never been elected to public office.

February 9, 2011 at 8:51 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Shamrock6

Is that right? It smells like another NATO cover-up to me! Those thugs in Washington will go to great lengths to save their reputations!!!

February 9, 2011 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • LarryKegel(US Army)

This is not the Bush Government any more!!! Our President is more careful not to kill innocent People!!!

February 10, 2011 at 7:30 pm | Report abuse |
      • salerno

Sorry Larrty, I don't see much difference betwen the two.

February 11, 2011 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
      • Dindy..

LarryKegel( US Army) good post again Sir,

February 12, 2011 at 1:42 am | Report abuse |
  5. salerno

The serial killers hit again. Don't tell you are protecting me, because it is the exact contrary. We have less freedom and cannot travel without the fear to be killed for retaliation. We are the aggressor.

February 9, 2011 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dan from Chicago,IL

To you salerno there is no "we" you are not an American as far as I'm concerned. You are though a Taliban and terrorist sympathizer and your comments on others blogs prove it! Also If you were brave enough to go to war to stand up for American ideals and you were in a firefight with the enemy and a van was speeding towards you you would also think that they were insurgents that you were just ambushed by and would not take a chance with your life on the line. I am sorry for the civilians killed but seeing that they were in a war zone and fighting was going on they should have been more careful of not only the way they were driving bit also in the direction they were driving. And how can you talk as an Afghan and then make yourself sound like an American, YOU TWO FACED LIAR!

February 9, 2011 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
      • Dan from Chicago,IL

That should be but not bit.

February 9, 2011 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
      • salerno

Dan – you are not a true american neither a true christian. The old american spirit was not a military one. America is now like the Nazi-fascist. They want to dominate the wolrd, especially the week isolated country in the third world. It is a shame that the cowards are using so sophisticated weapons against them.

February 10, 2011 at 2:44 am | Report abuse |
      • Kivu

Yes, only a terrorist would be against killing civilians.
        Real patriots subscribe to bin Laden's philosophy – kill civilians en masse to force surrender. Of course, that didn't work out too well for him.

February 10, 2011 at 10:10 am | Report abuse |
    • Dan from Detroit, MI

Come on Dan,you know better than that! Salerno has the guts to tell the truth here and that makes you mad. It shouldn't.

February 9, 2011 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
      • Dan from Chicago,IL

No two faced liars don't get me mad, but those that are Americans who do not stand up for the ideals, beliefs and values that our forefathers fought for do especially when they call them right wingers! When in fact some are moderate liberals and have the same faith that is the foundation of which the United States of America proudly has grown to the super power it is today! Phony boy!

February 9, 2011 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • salerno

Dan – I was born and still live in the west, I pay tax to the american government. 60% of my tax is used for the military. I have all the right to protest against the US military wasting resources. They are parasites .

February 10, 2011 at 2:39 am | Report abuse |
      • Dindy..

salerno ..you said you were Italian. nOW YOU SAY THAT YOU ARE AMERICAN AND PAY TAX TO USA.

February 10, 2011 at 7:32 am | Report abuse |
      • Dindy..

SALERNO...YOU DID SAY THAT YOU WORK AND YOUR PEOPLE WORK IN aFGHANISTAN AND tALIBAN ARE NO PROBLEM TO YOU BUT THE aFGHANISTAN. GOVERNMENT.

February 10, 2011 at 7:35 am | Report abuse |
      • salerno

I travel a lot, but I pay my tax in USA. My Italien friends are working in Afghanistan, they had problem with USA and Karzai.
        I never had problems with USA, but criticize the policy and the new american ideology.

February 10, 2011 at 8:07 am | Report abuse |
      • salerno

Dindy – I never told to work in Afghanistan and never visited Afgjhanistan. You make wrong assumptions and then keep going with them. It is a wrong method. You are wrong even in the interpretation of the Bible like Matthew 24.

February 10, 2011 at 8:29 am | Report abuse |
      • Brandi

What military gets 60% of your taxes? Not the US; that's about the number for welfare. A simple google search can tell you that. And a large proportion of military spending is salaries and health care.

February 10, 2011 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
      • salerno

Brandy – I got the 60% percentile from a financial news, but I don't remember exactly the source. The cost for the military is outstanding. This does not bode well for us.

February 10, 2011 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
      • Dan from Chicago, IL

You salerno are just like the terrorists, liars to justify their sick and murderous ideology! You will face God's judgment for bearing false witness which is a commandment that most if not all Islamic extremists have broken along with thou shall not kill! And before you say Americans kill people, we are at war and there will be times that civilians are killed but not intentionally and God will be the Judge as to which side intentionally kills innocent lives! As for you God also knows which side you stand by and support and surely it is not the USA, LIAR!

February 10, 2011 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
      • salerno

Dan – I support the 63% of the american people conrtrarian to war in Afghanistan. This percentile is diffused by CNN.
        When the US military aim to a TV building, a civilian train, a village, a shop, they INTENTIONALLY kill civilians even if the target is also some non-civilian. They target civilians hoping somone will tell where is Bin Laden or others. They decided all people in a region are terrorist so they can kill them without problem, even the children becouse they harbor the terrorists.
        Hitler had better justification, my dear anti-christian.

February 10, 2011 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
      • Dan from Chicago, IL

salerno move your butt to the tribal regions in north west Pakistan and make yourself comfortable amongst friends that have the same beliefs you do!

February 10, 2011 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
      • salerno

No they have not exactly the same belief. I am just contrarian to war.

February 10, 2011 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
      • GPS

You are a spineless coward! Go back and hide inside your home! No one cares what you have to say! You are human trash!

February 11, 2011 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
      • salerno

GPS – I am exercising my speech freedom.

February 11, 2011 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • reality check

well sayd Dan. Salerno obiously isnt the quickest of cats at the best of times lol. Another one of those people who have never seen war or combat other than on a screen in front of them in the safety of their dwelling. they think they can apply the same things they do wen they play call of duty to real life. its an unfortunate thing that those civillians were killed but thats wat happens in combat. its not like they specificaly targeted civilians....like certain muslim terrorists. bottom line dont talk a bunch of crap if u wernt there

February 10, 2011 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
      • salerno

reality – why your custom is to make always false assumptios ? I never watch a movie or play stupid videogames. I had family members involved in war and wathc actual video diffused by US military, Media, even Wikileaks. If you go to war you are guilty to me, as nobody forced you to sign up.

February 10, 2011 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
      • Dindy..

reality check......good post. They are against when US is trying to attack insurgents. where were they when innocents died in USA early morning in those towers........? How can any man or women with heart just stay dumb without doing anything against the criminal who planned that inhuman attack.
        He screwed up with the wrong one and now hiding ..THE BIGGEST COWARD IN THIS WHOLE WORLD .

February 12, 2011 at 1:38 am | Report abuse |
      • salerno

Dindy – If a criminal kill innocent people like the USA did before 9/11 and you reply killing other innocent people, you are no different. American surrounded AlZarqaui and could take him without casualtie or even alive, but preferred to bomb the house killing 2 female .children. They could use soldiers to control the Pakistan border, but prefer to bomb villages with innocent people.

February 13, 2011 at 7:44 am | Report abuse |
    • LarryKegel(US Army)

If I was any where near the war... I would make sure I wasn't close to either side of the firing going on!!!

February 10, 2011 at 7:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • myklds (expose of a fat-fingered liar)

To All:

May I have the privilege to present to you two posts from a the same monicker claiming to be of what he is not.

The ff: post can be found in the site below

and I quote,
      279.salerno

"Papa – Italy is still a fascist country with the Mussolini nephew in the parliament. My grandfather was a politician forced to go exile to France as he adversed Mussolini when Churchil supported him. I went to US with my father. You should go to Iran and visit Sinagogues and christian churches."

February 8, 2011 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse | Reply
      AND..

290.salerno

"Papa – Italy is still an horrible country. Liberation did not work. My father had to come to America after the war. Communist and Fascist are the problem. Italien will never change."

February 8, 2011 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse | Reply

Let's check it;

In the first post claims that he/she/it "went to US with his father." WHILE, on the second says that his/her/its "father had to come to America after the war."

BUT in here he/she/it was telling Dan saying and I quote, "Dan – I was born and still live in the west, I pay tax to the american government."

It's up to you people to a-n-alyze but for me above posts and statements are more than enough to describe what a fat-fingered liar looks like.

February 11, 2011 at 8:34 am | Report abuse |
      • Dan from Chicago, IL

Thank you my kids, salerno must have had a terrible upbringing to hold so much hatred for America which has had some tough decisions to make and may have been on the wrong side of history a time or two, but as I said it's foundations were built on Christian ideals, beliefs and values and if we stick to those we will come through all hard times including the great tribulation where good will triumph over evil and all mankind will be put to the test of where they stand!

February 11, 2011 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |