Hero Afghan dog accidentally euthanized
November 16th, 2010

Hero Afghan dog accidentally euthanized

A dog rescued from Afghanistan after she alerted soldiers to a suicide bomber was accidentally euthanized at an Arizona shelter on Monday.

A Pinal County Animal Care and Control employee has been placed on administrative leave for failing to follow procedures and euthanizing the wrong dog.

Watch file video of "Target" reuniting with a U.S. soldier he saved in Afghanistan

Read the full story

Post by:
Filed under: Troops
  1. Sommer Stellflue

As a dog owner, I can't imagine how difficult it would be to find out that my dog had been "accidentally" euthanized. My heart goes out to Target's family.

November 17, 2010 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
    • Dave

I don't think it was a accident, come on. Use your head. If isn't a pure bread it takes longer to adopt. so they kill them. Thats the bottom line. They justify they're actions by blaming us the public.

November 17, 2010 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
      • Kerry

"pure bread" What kind of English is that? By your logic and and after reading your previous comments you should been euthanized instead of this brave dog.

November 17, 2010 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Shawn Marie Hardy

Everything is ALWAYS about money. Those of you who are so worried about what this cost taxpayers should do your homework.

I think it's so sad that these animals are euthanized, yet our prisons are filled with killers, rapists, and other violent criminals who get to live for free. Sure doesn't seem right to me. That should worry taxpayers more than something like this.

I see that the employee was put on administrative leave for not following protocol...if it was a human, instead of a dog, I'm sure they wouldn't be paid for their time off. It's a real shame.

November 17, 2010 at 9:21 am | Report abuse |
  3. SGT Jansen

It had to be a Marine that wanted to complain about the dogs bills. As if were not wasting more of our tax money on stupid things that are less needing. I for one am glad to hear that the dog got sent home but am sad to hear it got euthinized by some stupid employee. I bet you the Marine guy would change his mind if the dog had happened to save him from death.

November 17, 2010 at 1:13 am | Report abuse |
    • Brooke

Sad that an employee was doing his job? I don't think so. I'm sad that the owners did not feel it necessary to have tags or microchip on their dog, and did not feel it was urgent enough to search local shelters for their dog. The dog could have been home safe and sound as early as Friday afternoon. If that was impossible for some reason, they had until 2pm on Saturday to claim the dog. I'm sorry for the owners loss, but they share some blame in this.

November 17, 2010 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
  4. Lisa

God bless you Target, may you rest in peace. Does it really matter what it cost to bring this beautiful life saving creature to America?? She put her life on the line when it mattered the most to save American lives and all you can speak about is the $$$. Shame on you for having such a COLD heart.

November 16, 2010 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • mcmurdo proud military fiance

amen to that lisa I agree, why does it always have to be about money , what happened to compassion and love

November 17, 2010 at 1:01 am | Report abuse |