September 10th, 2010

Afghans protest planned Quran burning

Sporadic demonstrations broke out in Afghanistan Friday, with hundreds gathering to protest against an American pastor's planned burning of the Muslim holy book, the Quran, the International Security Assistance Force said.

The largest demonstration was in the northern province of Badakhshan where about 500 Afghans protested outside of a NATO base in the area, ISAFsaid.

The security assistance force said two people were hurt in the protests.

However, the deputy governor of the province said thousands of people turned out, and one protester was killed and three wounded.

- From CNN's Atia Abawi and Matiullah Mati

Filed under: Daily Developments
  1. Daniel-2

I don't hate muslims they don't need anyone's help in hating each other.

September 12, 2010 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Daniel-2

Sorry everyone,that was not me but some bozo who usurped my name to conceal his rabid hatred for the Muslims.I still find it quite incredible that Al Qaeda could have pulled off 9/11 completely on their own.

September 12, 2010 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  3. ryan

good now they need to take that same emotion and build a damn country for themselves!!!

September 11, 2010 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
  4. CJ

Mindless drones spurred into violent rage at a moments notice over a non-event. What do these people care anyway what some uneducated hick "pastor" does to his own property half way across the planet? Don't they have bigger concerns, like lack of running water, infrastructure and roads (that are not just dirt)? The korans were never burned and the morons are still rioting and killing. Personally, I find it highly offensive that they have the nerve to protest over this non-issue – which includes chants of "Death to America" and the burning of American flags – on the very day we are commemorating the slaughter of thousands of our people by terrorist trained in that country. I've really had it with our attempt at installing "democracy" in that worthless backward country. It's obviously never going to be such with people like that making up a significant portion of the population. Bring the troops home now.

September 11, 2010 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  5. JOJO

Okay, I don’t think it’s cool to burn any ones holy book....BUT......I say Let this be Proof that this religion is ANYTHING BUT PEACEFUL....Those people hate Americans and it will always be that way no matter what. ANY EXUSE TO HATE AMERICA IS WHAT THESE PEOPLE LOOK FOR
    ONE PASTOR AND ONE CHURCH AND THE WHOLE COUNTRY IS TO BLAME
    WASNT IT THEM WHO DANCED ON THE STREETS ON 9/11??? YES!! AND THE AMERCIAN MUSLUM COMMUNITY...ALL THEY SAY IS WELL, IT WAS BOUND TO HAPPEN BC OF OUR FORGIEN POLICY.....WHAT EVER, I AM SICK OF ISLAM....I wish the would all just GO GO GO AWAY

September 11, 2010 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Dan in Lafayette,IN

You say that you're proud of the American flag but what about those who dishonor it like those 12 guys who just got arrested for murdering unarmed Afghan civilians lately?Did you even hear about it?I noticed that the people broadcasting the NBC Nightly News never mentioned it.Talk about Yellow Journalism!!!

September 11, 2010 at 3:08 am | Report abuse |
    • Daniel-2

Did it ever occur to you that the MIC(military-industrial-complex) might have had something to do with it,Dan? They don't want anything to hurt their reputation nor that of NATO's.

September 11, 2010 at 3:13 am | Report abuse |
  7. Dan in Lafayette,IN

David Patreaus just made the most idiotic statement I ever heard the other day.How in the world is burning the Coran going to "put our troops in danger" when the Afghans are already killing as many of them as they possibly can? I find the whole thing quite ludicrous.

September 10, 2010 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • George Patton

Thank you,Dan.I feel the same way you do about this matter.

September 10, 2010 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
      • Dan in Lafayette,IN

Mind your own business you marxist loon

September 11, 2010 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
      • Dan in Lafayette,IN

Hey you Phunnie boy,it's one thing to usurp my name in order to make a sick joke out of this rotten war but another to bring dishonor upon Gen.George Patton.He commanded the 3rd Army during WW2,not you!!!Besides,you're not half as funny as you think you are!

September 12, 2010 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  8. USMC Forever

And now I am getting ready to go on Patrol and I think I will split a few more stinkin Paki Talibani skulls with my M82A3 at 1500M. Hey General retard, comon out to play here and let me get a crosshair on your stinkin Paki @ss!!!! Time to take a General Retard and wipe my @ss with an ALLAH!!! FOOOOOOOOOOKKKKK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!

September 10, 2010 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • USMC Forever

Hey folks,I didn't post the above as I never condescend to using that vulgar Tea Party lingo and I want as many people as possible to know that.

September 10, 2010 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
      • USMC Forever

You just gave yourself away by using that Tea Party lingo,Phunnie boy.I never use it like I said before.

September 10, 2010 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
  9. USMC Forever

I think Muslims are hipocrite SOBs. You Anus' burn our American Flag, Bibles, and some times even Christians and you have the balls to demonstrate?? FOOK YOU, the Quran and Mohammed and your worthless ALLAH who has done nothing to help you cave bast***ds at all!!! FOOK YOU ALL!!!!!

September 10, 2010 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
    • Daniel-2

Thank you,USMC Forever.Inasmuch as I hate that Tea Party lingo,I still want to thank you for your honesty in expressing waht most of the people in America think but don't have the guts to admit it.Again I thank you for your frankness.

September 10, 2010 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Bobo

This weekend should be interesting........

September 10, 2010 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
    • B

I sure hope it is a boring one, Bobo. All hell could very well break loose. No pun intended.

September 10, 2010 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
  11. B

As a soldier serving in Iraq at the moment, I believe that the decision to burn the Quran(s) is a poor one, and puts many American soldiers and civilians lives at risk. We currently have less than 50,000 troops in Iraq and will do what we must if the violence here intensifies, but at these levels we are more than likely outnumbered, though never outgunned. I imagine the violent reaction to the proposed burnings would be much the same in Afghanistan. Pastor, please pull your head out of the spotlight and your own ass long enough to wake up to the far reaching implications of what you are about to do. Perhaps you should reread some of the teachings on love and forgiveness attributed to Jesus and scattered throughout the new testament.

September 10, 2010 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
    • General Dr Bad

as a Soldior in Iraq you are breaking YOUR law posting here.
      you are not allowed to speak if you are serving.
      you are nto alowed ot speak if you are in uniform.
      you are not allowed ot speak to any press without clearing it with the pentagon.

September 10, 2010 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
      • B

You are uninformed sir. The first amendment guarantees my rights to do so. It may be highly discouraged, but I am doing nothing illegal by posting on here. I felt like I must say something about this disgusting display of false christianity. Have a good day.

September 10, 2010 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
      • General Dr Bad

dont, TELL "me" go TELL obama.

September 10, 2010 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • V.E.B

i agree with you! my husband is in iraq now and we have 2 small children. i very much dislike how that pastor is putting so many lives in danger! and i personally think he should be punished if he does it;especially since he is putting lives in danger that are currently protecting his ass and everybody else's in the USofA. everybody can say what they want but i can bet money that everybody that has a family member in iraq or afghanistan disagrees with what the pastor wants to do.

September 11, 2010 at 12:22 am | Report abuse |
    • ladydi

B – AMEN!!!!!

September 14, 2010 at 8:45 am | Report abuse |
  12. General Dr Bad

YOU now have 3 Choices as far as the coward obama.

September 10, 2010 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |
  13. Maritta

How is it okay to burn our flag and nothing is done? Our troops have to be politically correct in that hell hole with their hands tied because of our idiot administration. Obama sent well wishes to the muslims. Why?

September 10, 2010 at 10:08 am | Report abuse |
    • General Dr Bad

OMG!!! kardashian is upset over nude photos!!!!!

September 10, 2010 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |
    • John

You're quite Maritta.I'm sick to death about all this "political correctness" and hipocracy.In fact,the vast majority of Americans despise the Muslims as they applaud the obscene butchery halfway around the world be carried out by our military day after day.

September 10, 2010 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  14. General Dr Bad

Now WHO has the password for the Nuetron bomb?

September 10, 2010 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
  15. General Dr Bad

and go tell bush that "God" is getting ready to turn america into a parking lot.

September 10, 2010 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
  16. General Dr Bad

Joss Stone wil be at Macy's in New York Today God willing,
    Promoting Her Boots and Collecting Shoes for some charity.
    Please Donate. God Willing.
    Eid Mubarak.
    you have one hour left.

September 10, 2010 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |
  17. General Dr Bad

If you are serving in Iraq? The cease fire truce is off with the Mehdi Army.
    now insult me some more.

September 10, 2010 at 9:59 am | Report abuse |
  18. ohenry

i think is crazy for a pastor to even think about burning the quran.....dont bash on anyones religion let GOD take care of everything.....tht wouldnt be a godly thing to do PASTOR.....you need to repent from those thoughts!!!!!

September 10, 2010 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
    • General Dr Bad

speaking of crazy, your troops are going insane and self destructing now. while your generals and leaders hide and lie.

September 10, 2010 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
  19. marie

Not every muslim is an extremist, what is burning the Quran suppose to accomplish?

September 10, 2010 at 9:05 am | Report abuse |
    • General Dr Bad

more blocked messages. you just dont learn do you?

September 10, 2010 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
  20. Dan in Lafayette,IN

This Pastor does not represent the love of Christ Jesus, but I do have to say where is all the out roar when these same Muslims burn our flag or the radicals who kill converts and behead Jews and Christians alike? I would like to see the same from Muslim groups when hatred comes from the radicals of Islam also!

September 10, 2010 at 8:29 am | Report abuse |
    • General Dr Bad

blocked message.

September 10, 2010 at 9:50 am | Report abuse |
    • General Dr Bad

go Enlist you bible thumpiing hypocrite.

September 10, 2010 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
  21. Angela

I personally feel this is foolish. It will do nothing but cause more harm and anger for both Americans and Afgahnies Did God tell this paster to do so??? Or is this his own will?? That's the question I have for him !

September 10, 2010 at 8:05 am | Report abuse |
  22. Maurice Clifton

I thought our troops were already in danger by being in Afghanistan. I think they should burn a quran for every citizen killed at the twin towers, and burn them at Ground Zero.

September 10, 2010 at 7:52 am | Report abuse |
    • juju

true dat

September 10, 2010 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
    • B

Obviously, Mr. Clifton, you have never been in combat.

September 10, 2010 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
    • Daniel-2

Inasmuch as I disagree with you Mr.Clifton,I do respect your right to stand up for what you believe in.I think that the Rev.Terry Jones has a perfect right to do what he wants on his own property and not cave in to "political correctness".

September 10, 2010 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • sync55

Burning is a waste of paper. I keep mine in the bathroom. It is not as soft as Charmin, but it works.

September 12, 2010 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |