June 9th, 2010

Chopper downed by hostile fire; 4 Americans killed

Four Americans and a Briton were killed in southern Afghanistan on Wednesday, military officials said.

The four U.S. service members were killed when their helicopter was downed by hostile fire in Helmand province, said International Security Assistance Force spokesman Lt. Col. Joseph T. Breasseale.

The British soldier was killed in an explosion, also in Helmand province, the British Ministry of Defence said.

June is turning into a deadly month for international forces in Afghanistan - 29 service members, including 19 Americans, have been killed, bringing the American death toll in Afghanistan to more than 1,000, according to CNN's calculations.

"It's been a tough week," said Pentagon spokesman Bryan Whitman. "Our operational tempo is at an all-time high. We try to do everything to prevent casualties, but we have active operations and more forces there than ever in the past."

Home and Away: Iraq and Afghanistan War Casualties

1. Petre Pike

What is happening with you NICK ? I couldn't recognize it was NICK ROBENSON reporting from that bomb-cake marriage. Could it be that Afghanistan is turning is turning you to a taliban keeping all those beards. Clean up so that i can enjoying your reports.

June 10, 2010 at 3:33 am | Report abuse |
  2. .

That others may live...

June 10, 2010 at 3:02 am | Report abuse |
    • alice

its an amazing career feild and they were amazing men

June 10, 2010 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Kandahar

Hey Gary Gohndro, you mean the empire of death soldiers, yes we r here and we dont miss that. we will build it by any cost if our wedding cermonies are being bombard. we are helping you to build such empire thats a great task do it American politicians.

June 10, 2010 at 12:32 am | Report abuse |
    • fisterwife

We didn't bomb your wedding ceremony. You did that yourself.

June 10, 2010 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
  4. A wife

RIP you 4... your smiles, your laugh, your personalities will be missed... That others may live...

June 9, 2010 at 11:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • afsgt

amen that others may live

June 10, 2010 at 12:47 am | Report abuse |
    • AF Capt

We are with the families of the fallen. Lt we loved your spirit and inspiration we will always be in debt to Kat. So others may live-HUA.

June 10, 2010 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  5. RSAT4

I am saying it once more. fighting will not solve anything but blood shad. Theirs a short and easier of dealing this. Seat down and talk, if one part need to compromise let be it. we are tired of seeing people dying everyday. american please consult with South african I belief you can learn one thing or two.

June 9, 2010 at 10:41 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Joe

i knew one of the young men killed; grew up with him. Be respectful, please. These were people with friends and family just like you. They weren't just soldiers but people who lived real lives.

June 9, 2010 at 10:17 pm | Report abuse |
  7. cindyhooke

SEMPER FI !!!

June 9, 2010 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse |
  8. cindyhooke

My husband is over there fighing for all of you. Even if we dont agree with this war are loved ones are over there, we all need to treat others the way we would want others to treat us.

June 9, 2010 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Gary Johndro

We ought to make these guys pay for shooting down that helicoptor.

June 9, 2010 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Army wife

My husband is currently serving near Kandahar. Every day that there are attacks it gets harder to wait for the phone call telling me his is ok. The last thing I would want to do is find out my husband was killed on CNN.

June 9, 2010 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • AF wife

I heard you on this, my heart goes out to the families. I actually have friends who know or work with these people. I can't imgaine the pain of their loss. The death of a person is not just a number to families, it's a loss of a father/mother, spouse to a family.

June 10, 2010 at 3:08 am | Report abuse |
    • mother wella

I am a mother of an american soldier serving in Aganistan..My daughter-in-law and I talk every night on the phone to support each other thru this 3rd deployment..he has four kids..and we all get nervous when we havent heard from our soldier in a while and then hear a news story like this break....We have to just support each other until she hears from him once more..My heart just aches for these families

June 10, 2010 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
  11. bailoutsos

But let's keep fueling the fire -- Haaretz reported, during George Bush’s last year in office his administration sold, to the Saudis, F-15s, advanced anti-ship missiles, smart bombs, and other weapons similar to what the Israeli army controls in violation of an agreement with Israel.

June 9, 2010 at 7:21 pm | Report abuse |
  12. sue

More details are not available in this article because the families deserve to be notified first. Yes, the reality is that the region is increasingly dangerous. I, too am the sister of a military officer who has just returned safely from the Middle East. I am thankful each day that he is okay and saddened by the losses he has endured as a result of this war. Politics aside, this is a heartbreaking tragedy for the families and the other members of that particular military unit. Well, it is a tragedy for all those who mourn their losses due to this war.
    Rest in peace.