May 6th, 2010

Combating the No. 1 killer of troops in Afghanistan

Improvised explosive devices — or IEDs — are the No. 1 killer of NATO troops in Afghanistan. And although more than 40 nations are fighting in the ISAF coalition there, none of them have the kind of experience and resources the U.S. has in finding and eliminating these deadly bombs by insurgents.

The U.S. military put that expertise to use at a recent conference at the Joint Multinational Training Command in Germany to show dozens of its NATO partners the latest methods of combating IEDs as well as try to standardize the training and gear.

"It is very important to share the best practices immediately for all the others," says Ltc. Mati Lampinen of the Finnish Army. "So that is the most important thing. To share the best practices and then get them to the soldiers on the ground."

Training included mock IED materials.

Computer games simulate the environment where IEDs are likely.

Mock explosions help train in counter-measures to those heading to Afghanistan.

Training included a demonstration of a mini-drone.

Post by:
Filed under: NATO • Troops
  1. Ari

The U.S should get the hell out of Afghanistan and use the resources for humanitarian asisstance. To those war advocates (be it politicians, zionist cowards etc..) you should volunteer or be sent to the front line instead of sending young soldiers to waste their lives there. This will end this senseless war faster.

July 17, 2010 at 8:30 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Matthew

hello everyone.
    Iraq and Afghanistan war made our Army stronger.
    If you don't believe in U.S. Army then you don't have believe in God.
    I have a lot of faith in the U.S. Armed Forces.
    Make us proud guys.
    May God continue to bless our men and women in uniform

June 4, 2010 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  3. LuxuryMaximum

LuxMobiles – the number 1 replica luxury cellphones online shop in internet. All products are made in South Korea, quality is superb, prices are affordable, widest selection of Vertu, Mobiado, Goldvish, Gresso and more brands. If you want to buy status item, but dont want to spend thousands, welcome to us. Only LuxMobiles can make you offer, which will be hard to refuse.

June 4, 2010 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Paul NC

Wow, I think Imy post got blocked ........ and I said some nice things too.

Anyway, it's time to stop trolling

To our troops and the families that "stand and wait":
    You are constantly in my thoughts and prayers. May you walk safely through the dark places
    you go. May the devine watch over you.
    Your bravery, courage and comittment will not be forgotten as long as I draw a breath.

May the devine also watch over the innocent and keep them from harm's way.

I, for one, have not forgetten the dream that was and can be the United States.

May 17, 2010 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
  5. Paul Ronco

That's because you're an idiot.

May 16, 2010 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
  6. ric

Maybe in hindsight, a few dozens nuclear missiles in Afghanistan, wiping out all things living, might have been the easiest solution. There would have been an uproar from many but it would have also sent a clear message out: Don't *&^% with the USA !!

May 16, 2010 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Pete

It seems that CNN is reluctant to give others the same freedoms they are assured by the first amendment. I am a veteran Marine, my son is a Marine currently in Afghanistan and his grandfather was a Marine during the Korean war. Nothing makes us angrier than seeing someones freedom of speech, that we military people pay for, taken away.
    My son is in his third tour in three years. He hates it there. He says he would rather be at home going to school, surfing and hanging out like the rest of us.
    Seems that those who have nothing to lose (Bob), will continue to harass those of us who have everything to lose there and for what? No one knows why we are there anymore. My son, his buddies, his leaders. Iraq is already showing signs of falling apart and then what? These tactics being used against us are guerrilla tactics, David versus Goliath, and they work. My sons life is worth more then anything we will gain in Afghanistan. Regardless what any of you think, this war is not about revenge, it is and has always been about OIL.

May 16, 2010 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  8. General Dr Bad.

Consider this My Official resigination.
    AS of Midnight tonight e.s.t.
    I turn over full Command as well as responsibility of any of YOUR troops.
    NO Longer MY Troops. NO Longer MY wars. NO Longer MY problem.
    dont ever bother me again.

May 16, 2010 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
  9. General Dr Bad.

Im not the one having trouble with reality here.
    Once again all you do is waste my time.
    And show again why america is being destroyed and its Troops Murdered for no reason but your ignorance.
    And of course YOU do not adres even one point I make nor go check any facts.
    AS you smart off to the wrong man.

May 16, 2010 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
  10. 5 combat tours

Do you think Dr. General Bad has herpes? I understand it gives you a false impresion of grandure in it's later stages.

May 16, 2010 at 3:29 am | Report abuse |