April 29th, 2010

NATO raid death sparks riot in village

KABUL, Afghanistan — Hundreds of residents rioted in a village in eastern Afghanistan after a NATO raid there left a relative of a parliament member dead, police and the lawmaker said Thursday.

NATO forces entered the village of Nazibad late Wednesday, searching the community for several hours, including the home of Safia Sadiqi, a member of Afghanistan's parliament.

Sadiqi's brother-in-law was killed by NATO forces after he approached them with a gun, according to Ghafoor Khan, a police spokesman.

"It was (an) unacceptable act by NATO," said Sadiqi. "This barbarian raid of NATO left five orphans and a widow in that house."

Initial indications are that "the individual who was shot was armed and refused requests to lower his weapon," the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force said in a statement.

The force said it take Sadiqi's allegations seriously and that it is reviewing its actions as well as the intelligence suggesting a Taliban connection to the compound where Sadiqi's brother-in-law was shot.

The death sparked rioting in the community, police said.

"Because of this, around 300 people have protested," said Khan. "They blocked the road for three hours. Later, with the help of the elders in the area, we kept things calm."

- Journalist Muhib Habibi contributed to this report.

Post by:
Filed under: Civilian deaths • Daily Developments
  1. Clark

I am not argueing that. I agree. They are our enemy. They hate us. They are weak and ignorant. End of story. It has always been the way of the worlf. All your crying about the unfairness will not change it. So go back to hideing under your bed.

May 3, 2010 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Bledsoe

@Clark.Americans helping people over there???Give me a break! To set the record straight,we're not there to "help" anybody but along with Great Britain and France to conquer the region and build the American Anglo-French Empire.

May 3, 2010 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Clark

It amazes me how many uneducated, illeterate, cry babies that livie in America. Whaa haa haa, Boo hoo. How they got this way is beyond me. Probably due to a little demasculinization of the 90's males had a something to do with it. That guy that said "pointing a gun at someone is like saying hello in that country" did crack me up. IIts life get over it. You will likely not make it long in this country little less over there. And I will lose no sleep over it. And you freaks from other countries whineing about it, give me a break. You let everyone push you around. And when Americans are asked to come help you, you turn on us like vermin. Then we leave and some other punk dictator or regime takes over and it starts all over again, You guys need to grow some and handle your own business.

May 3, 2010 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Frank

Well, I dint know there was a war in Afghanistan. I dont recall they declared was to US, and I dont recall US declared war to Afghanistan. I recall a terrorist train camp over there that launched the attackd to NYC by mostly Saudi Arabian men. So you are telling me if a foreign power, say China, comes to usa with their weapon raised you as and an american you wouldnt defend yourself? If in the future we discover there is a terrorist camp in UK like we discovered one here in USA, should we invade UK and have an undeclared war for 7 years against them? Not logical right? so why is it logical when we talk about an eastern nation?? Afghanistan is a free country and we there illegally. Prove me otherwise. When an afghany person hurt or attacked an american or USA before we invaded their country? It is their right to show up at the door with a weapon. We are the illegal ones. We got not bussiness to be there. Ty

May 3, 2010 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  5. us marine

daniel,these are your words,if it wasnt for warmongers like myself and my brothers,you would not be free to write these stupid opinions you post,you and your bozo friends donot have a clue.

May 3, 2010 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Brian from Chicago

If you point a gun at police or soldiers, they will presume that you intend to shoot. This is true for ANY country, now matter how primitive or civilized. It's true for whether the forces are native or foreign, friendly or hostile. It was true a hundred years ago, and it will be true a hundred years from now.

May 3, 2010 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Daniel-2

@mxr.You certainly hit the nail on the head! Like I said before,if one took a look at the blogging of these warmongering sickos,one would have to believe that we ceased to be a Christian nation.All this right-wing lynch mob mentality gets to be sickening and only proves that we live in a sick society.Enough said!

May 3, 2010 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
  8. mxr

It's so hard to believe there are so many brainwashed, bloodthirsty, heartless people in this country. When will they wake up? No Afghani was involved in 911. We are there for the oil pipeline, 300 billion in opium, and to have a military position near China and Russia to prop up our military empire. "The chickens will eventually come home to roost", and I'm afraid the majority of Americans will get exactly what they deserve. If you think killing, maiming and torturing people half way around the world is going to make you safe at night, you are in for a shock.

May 3, 2010 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
  9. RJO

If their own country could police themselves incidents like this wouldn't happen. Unfortunalty for this family deadly physical force was threatened and it was met by the same force.

May 3, 2010 at 7:50 am | Report abuse |
  10. Jester

Well that makes one more pro-taliban village, way to go NATO

May 3, 2010 at 4:16 am | Report abuse |