April 12th, 2010

Official: Hundreds of militants attack checkpoint

Islamabad, Pakistan  Several hundred militants attacked a military checkpoint in Orakzai Agency in Pakistan's tribal region early Monday, killing two security personnel and wounding eight others, a government official said.

Thirty-two militants died in the attack on the checkpoint in the area of Shareen Dara, Sajjad Ahmed said.

The attack came a day after Taliban spokesperson Azam Tariq told CNN the militant group had officially declared war against the United States and its allies, especially the Pakistan military, which has stepped up its efforts against militants in Orakzai Agency since mid-March.

Orakzai is one of seven semi-autonomous tribal agencies along the 1,500-mile porous border that Pakistan shares with Afghanistan.

On Sunday, militants planted explosives in a boys' school in Mohmand Agency, bringing to 40 the number of schools they have destroyed in the area, authorities said.

No one was hurt in the attack.

Post by:
Filed under: Pakistan
  1. joseph

taliban are already desperate they are rattled what is going on now, they now low on people who believe on them and this is the time outrun them us and pakistanis are doing a very hard blow on them thier days are numbers. and that they know it

April 14, 2010 at 12:22 am | Report abuse |
  2. BeeNee

Yeah, well here we have people who only know one skill–bomb making.
    So that's what they spend their life doing...bombing anything they do no personally value.
    The need lotsa cameras watching to catch the bomb planters & ID them. Too bad they are having such a hard time identifying the bomb planters.

April 13, 2010 at 11:16 pm | Report abuse |
  3. lag whitie

Dear Greg, as Ret SFC stated, you have to be blind to believe when most accuse the military of killing "innocent" civilians. The video you are OBVIOUSLY referring to has been proven to have been edited in a manner to HIDE the RPGs that are not commonly carried by the press. And while I am sorry that the press was killed, if you are running around in a war zone with one side or the other, you are going to be shot at. Did you cry foul when the reporters that were embedded with our soldiers were shot at? Do you cry foul when Ollie North, Geraldo, or any of the myriad of reporters running around with NATO and US troops come under fire, are injured, or are killed? Has the media even mentioned those civilian casualties? You are a fool who believes only what a camera can show. You do not look for the pictures that were happening 5 feet our of the view of the camera. It's called propaganda because it's not the whole truth. No one in the war zone gives you the whole truth, not even the military. And if you want to trade me jobs, then why are you not already there doing better than my men and I can? Oh wait, that's right. You care more about self preservation than about the kids on the other side of the world. Well, go back to guarding whatever it is you guard, and leave the protecting of the children on the other side of the world the men who can and are willing to risk their lives so that all may be free. "Wake up Greg, drink some coffee."

April 13, 2010 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Ret SFC

No, Greg Carlton, you are not smarter than NATO or US Commanders in Afghanistan. You are naïve believer of enemy propaganda, an enemy who would just as quickly slice your free American throat as mine. Of course the Taliban spokesmen quickly renounce every successful attack on their thugs as innocent civilians killed. On the rare occasion when we do make a mistake and hit civilians, we admit it. Bottom line: When a US spokesman says we killed civilians, we did. When a Taliban spokesman says we killed civilians, 99% of the time it is a lie. Wake up Greg, drink some coffee.

April 13, 2010 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Joey

to Greg, sorry and I don't mean degrade your job but lets face it, you're a security guard. I doubt you have IEDs and suicide bombers trying to kill you on a daily basis so you might do well to keep quiet on things you know nothing about.

April 13, 2010 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  6. michael

looks like pakistan is winning against the talibam in its own country, therefore we take the offensive and finish themoff in afghanistan if their leader is serious of removing their threat. but where is Bin Laded and the talibans leader?

April 13, 2010 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Dave

This is nothing new. I must state that I am thankful that the U.S. and her allies have troops of far superior quality to those of the Taliban, resulting a very low mortality rate for the type of war being fought. Regardless, all casualties are to be mourned.

The fact that the Taliban regularly targets institutions of learning speaks legends about the organization. By taking away any alternative future, the Taliban tries to funnel young men and women into the lifestyle which has been predetermined for them by zealots.

I look to the day when this war is over, and children can go to school without the threat of death. We all bear the responsibility to make it happen.

April 13, 2010 at 10:16 am | Report abuse |
  8. Greg Carlton

Several hundred were all still capable of coming together for a single attack? Gee, we have been fighting them for over eight years now. How come these "militant" numbers don't seem to be going down any. Oh yeah, it is because we are continually creating new "militants" by killing innocent civilians armed with cameras or something. You commanders in Afghanistan do know this don't you? I am just a simple Security Officer in Spokane, Washington. I couldn't be smarter than all of you, could I?

April 13, 2010 at 4:47 am | Report abuse |
  9. Jodi Goad

All I can say is, my family has given for our country, my little brother who was a sargent in the Army, died...my nephew went to Iraq to reinforce the humvee's so our soldiers could try to stay alive in a country that didn't want us there, From all the young men that have lost limbs and lives, that didn't work out well. Our Fathers, cousins, Uncles all have tried to keep our country safe and paid the price all gallant soldiers pay, either with their life or their limbs. I am sorry that mistakes are made and innocent women and children have to suffer for it, but sometimes I can't see past the pain those of us in this country suffer also. I am sorry that Iraq, Iran, Palestine, and other middle eastern countries have suffered such casualties but I am also very sorry for those in America who, although we haven't been in the middle of the conflict day after day, fear the letter, telegram or military attache' that comes to our door.

I cry at the pictures of our soldiers tired, hurt, bloodied and wounded. I cry when I see a child carried by a parent in one of these poor countries, many times the U.S. soldier didn't put that child in harms' way. They are put there by their own countrymen.

I hope to live to see peace, God bless us all, Jodi

April 12, 2010 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Alex Winter

The religion of peace strikes again.

April 12, 2010 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Nobama

I find no difference in Obama or Bush. Killing Innocent civilians is just business as usual for the USA. I pray for the day a US Pres will have the courage to say no to the military industrial complex and bring our troops home. During the early 70's media was critical of the white house but that has changed. I hope Obama and his crew get what's coming to them. The anger against him will grow. Now he wants to send 100 million to Africa. Not for food but for weapons. While he is cutting aid to Latin America.
    I guess a black Pres would increase aid to Africa and not Latin America.

April 12, 2010 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Helen Flynn

I get sick to my heart when I read about the bombing of a school in the area. The future of any Country depends on our young people acquiring as much education as possible. I wonder about the head of any group which would advocate the destruction of a school for either boys or girls. Whoever he or they are, he or they know that this is psychologically ruinous and presents threats to the very future of the lives of people–so, so terribly sad.

April 12, 2010 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
  13. Horace

Like they weren't involved in the war in the first place. I wonder if Usama bin Laden is enjoying the jihad. He needs to put his martyrdom where his mouth is.

April 12, 2010 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
  14. Jerry

"Taliban spokesperson Azam Tariq told CNN the militant group had officially declared war against the United States and its allies, especially the Pakistan military"
    Was it unofficial up to now?

April 12, 2010 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
  15. venom

what kind of human are this taliban , planted explosives in a boys school wheeew! is that all they can do? destroying schools which supposed to help their people.

April 12, 2010 at 9:59 am | Report abuse |