February 13th, 2010

2 coalition deaths in Operation Moshtarak

UPDATE: SUNDAY, 1/14/2010: A coalition soldier was killed in a bomb explosion Sunday in southern Afghanistan, but it was not related to Operation Moshtarak, NATO confirmed.

(CNN) - Two coalition troops were killed Saturday during the coalition's major offensive against the Taliban in Helmand province, a NATO spokeswoman confirmed. A U.S. military official confirmed one U.S. Marine was killed in small
arms fire in Operation Moshtarak in Helmand province, and a British soldier was killed in an explosion.

Three U.S. troops were also killed in a bombing on Saturday in neighboring Kandahar province but the incident was unrelated to the offensive, NATO said

Filed under: Operation Moshtarak • Troops
  1. PittW

GOD BLESS YOU AND YOUR FAMILY CANADIAN FATHER....MY HEART HURTS FOR YOU & YOUR FAMILY OF THE LOSS OF YOUR SON. THERE ISN'T A DAY THAT GOES BY THAT I WONDER WHEN SOMEONE WILL KNOCK ON MY FRONT DOOR AS I HAVE A MARINE SON WHO WILL TURN 22 THIS NOVEMBER IF THE GOOD LORD IS WILLING AND JUST AS OTHERS HAVE COMMENTED MY SON FEELS AS THOUGH THESE TROOPS NO MATTER THE COLOR OR NATIONALITY TO BE HIS BROTHERS. THEY EAT TOGETHER, SLEEP TOGETHER, AND I BELIEVE WOULD TRULY DIE FOR EACH OTHER. i GUESS MR. DUNCAN'S IGNORANCE ALLOWS HIM TO BELIEVE THAT THE FREEDOM WE ALL HAVE IN AMERICA COMES TO US FREE OF CHARGE. IT HURTS MY HEART TO READ HOW EVERYONE PRINTS THE NUMBER OF AFGHAN CASUALTIES BUT THEY FAIL TO EMPHASIZE THE GRIEVING FAMILIES OF OUR TROOPS WHO ARE RISKING THEIR LIVES AND ARE ALSO DYING FOR OUR COUNTRY LEAVING BEHIND SMALL CHILDREN/SPOUSES AND PARENTS AND GRANDPARENT/FRIENDS. THOSE PEOPLE ARE ALSO GRIEVING. SEMPER FI......PROUD MARINE MOM, LOUISIANA

February 20, 2010 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Trina Dionne Tilson

I feel that all of the soilders fighting on the side of freedom are "ours". I have a godson serving proudly in Afganiistan in US Marines and my sons in law are also deployed ( enough said). I pray for the soilders and ALL of the other parents who hold their breath every time I hear of fallen soilders.

February 14, 2010 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
  3. grunt

CANADIAN FATHER, MY GRATITUDES TO YOU AND YOUR FAMILY. LIKE I SAID THE CANADIAN WARRIORS ARE BAD DUDES, I WORKED SIDE BY SIDE WITH THE BOYS ON COVERT OVERWATCH POSITIONS FOR RECONASSIANCE. THEY HAD A GOOD SENSE OF HUMOR AND MADE ME LAUGH,BUT NO DOUBT THEY ARE SOME OF THE BEST MEN I EVER MET. I FEEL AN OBLIGATION TO CANADA AFTER HAVE MET THESE MEN. GOD BLESS YOU SIR AND KNOW THAT THERE ARE WARRIORS IN THE USA THAT RESPECT YOU AND YOUR SONS SACRAFICE,

February 14, 2010 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
  4. At home praying

I wish the media would not report casualties until they have names to notify families. We who read this article are hoping and praying that it was not our Marine that was killed yesterday. May God be with each and every one of our soldiers. We hate war, but we love our freedom-so support and pray for our troops.

February 14, 2010 at 6:41 am | Report abuse |
  5. Shaun justice uk

what would we do with out these brave young man who are putting there lives on the line from all nations. god bless them all , My condolence to all the familys who have lost love ones in this conflict

February 13, 2010 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Linda Martinez

Marine Moms, I am like you watching and praying that the Marine Killed is not my Son who is there now. We don't need to read that they signed up to be blown-up. My Son also signed up to serve his Country. And I also am scared, I am VERY Proud of him.

Semper Fi
    Proud Marine Mom from California

February 13, 2010 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Proud Mom

St. Greene – my son was with ya'll in Garmsir 2008. 1/6 WPNS. (Scout Sniper). He is there again now. Thank You for asking for some decency on this board. Those of us that are families back home, that are scanning these reports avidly to see if there is any news, any possible picture of our loved one, and God forbid, any hint in a death report that the Marine is ours, really don't need to read that they signed up to be blown up. My son signed up to serve his Country. And while I am scared, I am also VERY Proud.

Semper Fi
    Proud Marine Mom

February 13, 2010 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  8. clr

THANK YOU Canadian Father! I am sorry for your loss! My Marine son was embedded with the Canadians / NATO forces on his last deployment in 2008. He is once again fighting along side them today. He does not consider them Coalotion forces though, he considers them BROTHERS in arms. God Bless you and your family, and than you for your son's sacrifice. I watch, pace and pray every minute now that my son comes home, and that this fallen Marine is not him. I mourne for the loss regardless of who he is. He is family. I also mourne for the British soldier, who has been lost to us as well, and pray that his family finds solace.

Semper Fi from South of the Border
    Proud Mom of a Marine

February 13, 2010 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Former Sgt. Greene 1/6 BTL Bravo Co.

I'd just like to say that war is indeed hell, I served in the Garmsir District in Southern Afghanistan in 2008 with these guys who are now in Marjah. These boys signed up to serve their country by doing whatever is necessary. So out of respect for them lets avoid saying that they signed up to get blown up or shot down by an enemy that walks among the so called innocent civilians.

February 13, 2010 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
  10. mamadawg

Amen, Canadian Father. God bless you for your sacrifice.

February 13, 2010 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  11. John

NATO made a big mistage announcing two weeks early they were going to kick the Taliban from Helmand Province. Let's see that gives the Taliband time to set more IED's & Mines to kill more NATO soldiers & the Leaders of the Taliban have time to make an Exit. Poor Strategy , I'm just sorry for the troops that have to go in there. The people that announced this plan early should be the ones up front going in.

February 13, 2010 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  12. US Marine

Ducan your the reason we have the problems we do. We give of our all so you have the freedom you do. If it was not for us you sir would be living like those who we free. You are a coward and if you can't support our troops I suggest you leave this great country.

February 13, 2010 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Jean K

Thank you, Canadian Father!

February 13, 2010 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  14. TigerLilly

War is Hell..but if we leave, keep in mind what happened the last time when the Taliban were in control..to the people of Afganistan and to our country

February 13, 2010 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Canadian Father

You know Mr Duncan. I find your comment very disturbing and down right ignorant.Please explain to my son, who is now deceased – part of the Coalition Forces – and the other 140 Canadian Soldiers who died in Theater – along with the other Countries sacrifice's, how their sacrifices were a joke. I hope you enjoy watching your tv all day while these brave Soldiers across the Globe, continue to fight for your Freedom. Have some more Doritos since you didn't have the guts to enlist.

February 13, 2010 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Tony

A futile escalation in a futile and self-defeating war. The soldiers signed up for this. The innocent civilians who will be killed didn't.

February 13, 2010 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  17. John Duncan

I have been watching all morning. Stop the coalition for goodness sakes. A United States Marine and a soldier from England (the only solid coalition we have) were killed. Tell everyone watching TV the other soldier was British. Coalition is a joke.

February 13, 2010 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |