February 12th, 2010

Bodies believed to be 'honor killing' victims

KABUL, Afghanistan (CNN) - Four people found dead in a southeastern Afghan compound appear to be victims of an honor killing, a senior U.S. military official said on Friday.

The bodies were discovered during an operation by Afghan and NATO-led forces in Paktia province, a volatile region along the border of Pakistan. NATO's International Security Assistance Force said the bodies of two men and two women were found, with the women bound and gagged, and the U.S. official said the people were shot "execution-style."

An honor killing is a murder carried out by a family or community member against someone thought to have brought dishonor onto them. The U.S. official said it isn't clear whether the dishonor in this case stemmed from accusations of acts such as adultery or even cooperating with NATO forces.

"It has the earmarks of a traditional honor killing," said the official, who added the Taliban could be responsible.

Afghan and NATO officials are investigating the incident, which occurred in the village of Khatabeh in the province's Gardez district. The operation unfolded when Afghan and international forces went to the compound, which was thought to be a site of militant activity. A firefight ensued and several insurgents died, several people left the compound, and eight others were detained.

Paktia is the same province where a military base was the target of an assault that wounded five U.S. soldiers on Thursday, authorities said. Both the U.S. official and a Paktia province spokesman confirmed that a suicide attacker, apparently wearing police garb, carried out the action. The U.S. official said it may never be fully determined if the uniform was stolen or the bomber was a turncoat.

On December 30, a suicide attack on a U.S. base in Afghanistan killed seven CIA officers and a Jordanian army captain. The Pakistani Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack, also on a base in eastern Afghanistan.

–CNN's Barbara Starr contributed to this report.

Filed under: Daily Developments
  1. distressed

I can't stand the thought of our citizens remaining in a hopeless country. Does anyone here actually think we will make "change". These people are animals and will continue to breed animals. We can pump billions into the "govt" but it will never change.
    Eventually they will all kill each other and the world will be a better place.

February 12, 2010 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Xugos

This has nothing to do with religion, or Islam for that matter. This is a grevious problem with the society's culture. I find it a great annoyance that people always blame Islam for things it doesn't justify or endorse, like covering women with a sack, Islam doesn't endorse this, it's the culture that does.

February 12, 2010 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Sam

Bottom line – this will never end until united states is out of iraq and afghanistan. I have never seen any killings in the name of religion but we need to mind our own business and let them follow their beliefs. A terrorist would be born for every death of a civilian. People don't have money and can get easily employed by militants. They are trained to be killed and why do we have to get in the middle of this mess. Why can't US apologize for our mistakes and get out – we are not spreading peace with military – why can't we follow gandhi and educate people without having to enter someone's land and then try to find the enemies. Let them do what they want to do. How would US like if someone enters our country and decides who has the right to live or die. This will never end and suicide bombings will arrise because for them this is the only tool – they don't have the guns and F15s like we do but they can get so frustrated that they are ready to win without it..Hope we all can understand – we need to end this war by letting them mind their business.

February 12, 2010 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Just Me

Why am I not surprised? This is islam for you..very demented! The United States needs to wake up and not be tolerant of these animals (muslims)! There is NO peace in islam..only selfishness and retardedness! Wake up America!

February 12, 2010 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jodi Goad

Being born in the USA, I am so very proud and thankful. My husband and I have been married 50 years. Always being independent since my siblings were many years younger than I, my father raised me to do the things a son would do, trap, shoot, roof, put siding on houses and my horse, Fannie, blind in one eye so we went down hills sidways with her good eye watching her way. Just a little history.

NOW, if my husband of 50 years ever tried the terrible, smothering things that the poor women of the Muslim religion have to contend with....I definitely shoot him in the foot. No, I am not kidding, I own several guns which is our right in the USA., all registered!! He also knows that I wouldn't hesitate to take care of myself when I would feel threatened. These poor women have my condolences, except the ones that figure if they blow themselves up that Alla will take care of them. Listen, there is no Allla, I don't believe, that would allow his followers to kill themselves for the sake of destroying another nationality. No one knows where these lunatics live...(supposedly, we have terrists training camps in my state, and where else?) granted we have many Muslim followers in this country that love this soil as much as we do, getting away from the drama and uncertainty of their daily lives in their own country. Many American born people follow this religion also, not us, but some people we know do and don't flaunt their beliefs in front of us.

We can have respect for each other, but we are afraid of people we don't know, are they a fanatic and want America to fall in ruin, like our Twin Towers did (oh my God)!!

To HistoryStudent....my grandmom lost family in the concentration camps in Germany, she was finally able to get to America, yes I am part Jewish although we don't practice the Jewish religion....we are part American Indian too. No one has forgotten a thing.

Thanks for letting me tell part of my heritage....I read you every day, all of you...if I commented on all I feel to everyone, I don't think you have the time....Love us or leave us............gjg

February 12, 2010 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
  6. answeringchtistians.blogspot.com

Yes. Islam is sooo responsible for everything. Yet no scriptures to prove so.
    How Sad.

February 12, 2010 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
  7. cecelia kimble

Eric,
    People like you make me sick. Why don't you renounce whatever citizenship you have and go live in Afghanistan. America may not be perfect, but it is sure a hell of a lot better than any other country in this world!! I am proud to be from this great country and whomever blasts her can remove themselves from her soil if they think it's so bad.

February 12, 2010 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Great

If you start the war you are responsible for every death. Period.
    Grow up America and deal with the fact that you kill. Many, many times a year. For heavens sake, you shoot 12,00 of your won people every year.

February 12, 2010 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |