Afghan and coalition forces battled Taliban militants who launched a brazen assault against high-profile coalition targets in central Kabul Tuesday.
Taliban spokesman Zabiullah Mujahid told CNN that they targeted "the U.S. Embassy, governmental organizations and other foreign organizations."
"Our insurgents attacked in Kabul city," Mujahid said as reports surfaced of violence in other parts of the city as well.
The strike occurred amid intelligence that insurgents might launch a high-profile attack in the capital around the 10th anniversary of the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks against the United States, a coalition officer and a senior ISAF official confirmed to CNN.
Militants opened fire near the U.S. Embassy and NATO's International Security Assistance Force headquarters after they stormed a nearby abandoned building, U.S., NATO and Afghan officials said.
Explosions and heavy automatic gunfire were heard hours after five well-armed suicide bombers attacked the British Council in Kabul on Friday, leaving at least eight people dead, officials said.
Two iReporters were in Kabul and captured the seconds after the explosions and what it was like in the hours that followed:
"It was 5:40 when a very strong explosion shook my house and woke me up," said iReporter Nazir Ekhlass. "The first thing that came to my mind was 'may[be] it's a rocket that hit very close to my house.'"
Ekhlass, 23, went up to his roof to immediately take the photos above. "The Taliban claimed credit for the attack," he said. "and the reason they say was 'we have defeated Britain in 1919, this attack is to refresh the defeat.'"
For iReporter Joseph Andrew Grosso, 30, the blasts hit close to home. He lives about two blocks away from the British Council. "I woke up with the first blast ringing in my ears and our whole house shaking," he wrote in his iReport.
"[I ran] to the rooftop with my friends and my camera, tousled headed but instantly awake," the New York native said. "We watched the rest of the attack all day."
Eight militants and 10 others are dead after a brazen, carefully-orchestrated attack on a Kabul hotel that the Taliban has claimed responsibility for, officials said Wednesday.
Two police officers are among those killed in the attack that began late Tuesday night and carried into Wednesday at the Hotel Inter-Continental, according to the Afghan Interior Ministry.
Check out some of the best images as the attack unfolded: FULL POST
CNN's Stan Grant visits a madrassa, an Islamic school, in Kabul, Afghanistan, where children learn to hate America.
The eight American troops killed by an Afghan pilot earlier this week at an airport in Kabul were all armed with "weapons and ammo," according to the preliminary findings released Friday of an investigation by NATO and the Afghan government.
The NATO-led International Security Assistance Force in Afghanistan has said the military pilot opened fire on the troops, sparking a gunfight on Wednesday.
The investigation centers around how the gunman managed to kill eight armed troops, an ISAF official briefed on the investigation told CNN. A private American contractor was also killed in the shooting.
Kabul, Afghanistan (CNN) - At least six American service members were killed Wednesday when a man opened fire on troops and a "gunfight" ensued at an airport in the Afghan capital, military officials said.
A NATO official backed off earlier reports that eight coalition service members and a contractor were killed, saying that the alliance could only confirm six International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) troops were killed. It did not disclose their nationalities.
The incident - which occurred at the Afghan national air force compound at North Kabul International Airport - stems from an argument between an Afghan pilot and an international colleague, officials said.
Seven areas of Afghanistan, including the capital Kabul and a city in the restless province of Helmand, will begin to be handed over to Afghan forces to maintain their security in July, Afghan President Hamid Karzai said on Tuesday.
The announcement from the president marks the first step in NATO's long-awaited plan to hand over security to a series of provinces across the country, leading up to 2014 when it is expected that Afghan security forces will be in control of the whole country. FULL POST
he Taliban claimed responsibility Friday for a blast that killed eight people at a market in the Afghan capital that is popular with international residents.
At least six others were wounded, authorities said.
An Afghan journalist suffered first-degree burns in an acid attack in the capital earlier this week, a report said.
Razaq Mamoon is a writer and television presenter, according to Reporters Without Borders, a media rights organization.
Mamoon was attacked with acid Tuesday night as he left home, the group said. He is hospitalized with nonlife-threatening injuries.
A suspect, identified only as Rafiullah, has been arrested, the Interior Ministry said Friday.
Reporters Without Borders is urging the Afghan government to fully investigate the attack.
"We have already identified a dozen or so cases of violence against Afghan journalists for 2011," the group said. "The authors and originators of this barbarous act must be swiftly identified and arrested."
Acid attacks on journalists are not common in the country, according to NIA, an Afghan organization that protects journalists.
A government official in eastern Afghanistan was killed in an IED attack Friday, officials said.
NATO's International Security Assistance said the district governor of Dur Baba in Nangarhar province was among the three people killed when their vehicle struck an improvised explosive device.
The official is Khorshad Khan Khogianiwal.