February 28th, 2011
10:44 AM ET

10 killed, 17 hurt in Afghanistan blasts

Eight civilians and two police officers were killed when two mines planted in a playground went off Sunday in Afghanistan's Kandahar province, officials said.

The blasts in Arghandab district wounded 12 other civilians and five police officers, the country's interior ministry said.

The explosions took place during a picnic hosted by the former police chief of Arghandab district in the province, said the province's district governor.

No one immediately claimed responsibility.

"The leadership of Ministry of Interior strongly condemns the insurgent's un-Islamic and inhumane action," the ministry said. "The police have launched an investigation in to the case."

Post by:
Filed under: Civilian deaths
February 25th, 2011
02:19 PM ET

Inside an Afghan bank massacre

CNN's Phil Black reports on a Taliban-led massacre in an Afghan bank.

More civilian casualties reported in northeastern Afghanistan
The governor of Kunar province said that 64 civilians were killed by NATO and Afghan security forces last week.
February 24th, 2011
10:33 AM ET

More civilian casualties reported in northeastern Afghanistan

Just days after the governor of an northeastern Afghanistan province claimed dozens of civilians were killed in a NATO-led mission targeting insurgents, new allegations of civilian casualties surfaced in a nearby province Thursday.

NATO's International Security Assistance Force is investigating the claims stemming from an operation Thursday morning in the Alah Say district of Kapisa province, the military said in a statement. Armed insurgents were the target, ISAF said.
FULL POST

Post by:
Filed under: Afghan security forces • Civilian deaths • NATO
Tension between Petraeus, Afghans over airstrike, children
February 24th, 2011
10:21 AM ET

Tension between Petraeus, Afghans over airstrike, children

The U.S. military is denying Afghan government accusations that Gen. David Petraeus, the commander of international forces in Afghanistan, callously dismissed concerns of an airstrike burning children in a northwest village.

The accusation, reported by the Washington Post, stemmed from a weekend meeting in Kabul between Afghan officials and the general to discuss an airstrike in Kunar province.

Afghan officials say the strike killed nearly 50 women and children, in addition to 16 insurgents. The International Security Assistance Force said its weapons system video showed that 36 insurgents carrying weapons were killed.

Read the full story
Post by:
Filed under: Civilian deaths • Petraeus
February 21st, 2011
09:16 AM ET

Suicide attack kills more than 25

At least 26 civilians were killed in a suicide attack at the office of a district governor in Afghanistan's northern Kunduz province Monday, officials said. Another 36 people were wounded. FULL POST

February 9th, 2011
11:16 AM ET

Civilian deaths in Afghan fight called 'accident'

Coalition troops "accidentally killed" two Afghan civilians and injured one "during a firefight with insurgents" last week, NATO's International Security Assistance Force said Tuesday. FULL POST

Post by:
Filed under: Civilian deaths
January 28th, 2011
12:19 PM ET

Taliban claim responsibility for Kabul blast that killed 8

he Taliban claimed responsibility Friday for a blast that killed eight people at a market in the Afghan capital that is popular with international residents.

At least six others were wounded, authorities said.
FULL POST

Post by:
Filed under: Civilian deaths • Kabul • Taliban
January 14th, 2011
03:08 PM ET

Bomb kills 7 in Afghanistan

A makeshift bomb exploded Friday in southeastern Afghanistan, killing seven Afghans, NATO said.

The bomb struck the victims' vehicle in Arghandab district of Zabul province.

"Our thoughts are with the families of the victims at this difficult time, said U.S. Air Force Col. Charles Toplikar, of NATO's International Security Assistance Force. "This is a senseless attack on innocent Afghan civilians using indiscriminate weapons."

Post by:
Filed under: Civilian deaths • IEDs
January 7th, 2011
10:38 AM ET

Suicide attack in public bath kills 17 in Kandahar

A suicide attack in Afghanistan's Kandahar province killed at least 17 people and wounded 23 others on Friday, officials said.

The explosion took place in the southeastern town of Spin Boldak, a hotbed of Taliban militants.

The suicide attacker detonated himself in a public bath where the border police commander was bathing, said the spokesman for the governor of Kandahar province. FULL POST

December 23rd, 2010
04:03 PM ET

NATO probing 2 'inadvertent' deaths in Afghanistan operation

NATO's command in Afghanistan is investigating a military operation in a northern province that it says led to the "inadvertent" deaths of two people.

The incident, which took place Thursday in Faryab province, is among several skirmishes that have resulted in the deaths of apparent non-combatants during warfare, a controversial and much-derided occurrence in Afghanistan.
FULL POST

Post by:
Filed under: Civilian deaths • NATO