August 11th, 2011

Boy's ode to fallen dad inspires tearful responses

The story of a 10-year-old who posted an iReport honoring his dad who died in the recent Chinook helicopter crash in Afghanistan has sparked a huge outpouring from CNN.com readers.

It was Braydon Nichols' desire, his mother, Jessica Nichols, told CNN that his dad not just be another faceless casualty in the nearly decade-long war. The boy wanted the world to see his father's face, just as news reports showed the faces of other soldiers who lost their lives in the crash. So on his iReport, Braydon posted a picture of Army Chief Warrant Officer Bryan Nichols, a pilot, in his jump uniform sitting next to other soldiers.

"Braydon wanted people to know that Bryan was a daddy and a good daddy," his mother told CNN.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Troops
  1. Arun

Braydon, Wish you live a life for your father too.

September 6, 2011 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Joyce Peck

Dear Braydon and family,
    You should be proud of your Dad. I understand how you feel about the Seals being so highlighted. They are serving their Country too, but I felt like the rest on board were not being remembered like they should too.
    Our son, SSG Patrick D. Hamburger, was Flight Engineer on the Chinook your Dad was on. We understand your loss, and pray for all of the family and friends so hurt by this crash.
    What you did for you Dad was very brave. I'm sure it was hard for you to do, but it was the right thing.
    God Bless you Braydon. You are all in our prayers.
    Joyce Peck
    mother of SSG Patrick D. Hamburger KIA 08/06/2011

September 1, 2011 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Jason From Delaware

Most of you people should be ashamed of yourselves. This is not the time or the place for the comments you are listing. I know most of what is posted on here are trolls and cowards but some of this is downright ridiculous. Have some respect for Braydon and his family, Even if you don't have any respect for yourself. And Braydon, There are more then enough people in this world who respect and admire your father for his service and sacrifice. I am sorry you have to read all of the nonsense that these foolish people are writing on here. Just know this isn't all for nothing, Your father will never be forgotten, along with the other brave men and women who have given their lives to defend the freedoms that we take advantage of every day. God Bless You and Your Family.

August 30, 2011 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • salerno

Braydon has a mother who is responsible for him and will choose what he can read, idiot.

August 31, 2011 at 2:55 am | Report abuse |
  4. Mister Jones

Your father is and always will be a hero. The mindless comments on this board do not correctly reflect the way most of us feel about you or your dad. He was a better man than most of the people posting, and their hurtful comments are only because they are lacking something greater inside of them. I am sure he is proud of you and he had some comfort in knowing that he would live on through you. I am so very sorry for your loss, but your father made the world a better place for you.

August 29, 2011 at 8:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • salerno

Mister Jones – you are an idiot. Every son would prefer to have his father alive instead of having a better world.... in Afghanistan may be.....

August 30, 2011 at 3:01 am | Report abuse |
  5. Dan from Chicago, Il

You mindless piece of crap! I bet your a defense lawyer!

August 16, 2011 at 8:47 am | Report abuse |
    • Dan from Chicago, Il

I meant that post for salerno!

August 16, 2011 at 8:50 am | Report abuse |
    • salerno

Dan -Really was disturbed especially by those "pretending to support çhristianity."

August 16, 2011 at 9:02 am | Report abuse |
      • Dan from Chicago, Il

You just keep thinking you know how to give spiritual support to ALL(HUH?)the religions, BUT soon you will see the GLORY and POWER of our Lord Jesus and you will be left behind and most likely ally yourself with the anti-Christ which you probably already have.

August 16, 2011 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
      • salerno

Your Jesus does not exist. You are a dead body worshipper.

August 16, 2011 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
      • D. A. N.

I told you, you are an anti-Christ! May God put you and anyone who has the same beliefs into the earth with bin Laden until the end of Jesus' reign, this I pray in your name, Amen.

August 16, 2011 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
      • salerno

Dan – Idiot, how can I see the glory and power of Jesus if you put me into the earth ?
        Your prayers have always the inverted result like in the case of the earthquake in N.Zealand.
        Jesus reign is not about this world.

August 17, 2011 at 3:47 am | Report abuse |
      • D. A. N.

Your the idiot because if you think MY prayers caused the earthquakes in New Zealand then your not only ignorant but a fool!

August 17, 2011 at 8:11 am | Report abuse |
      • salerno

Your prayers were not fullfilled at that time and will not fulfilled in the future.

August 17, 2011 at 8:36 am | Report abuse |
      • D. A. N.

As Jesus said He will TAKE THOSE FIRST from that have been a sleep then that of which are living. Your time of rule will be 3 and 1/2 years, but then God will be raining fire upon your heads! JESUS' SPIRIT IS LEAVING SOON SO I PRAY THAT ALL TAKE HIM IN YOUR HEARTS AND BELIEVE IN HIM

August 17, 2011 at 9:11 am | Report abuse |
      • salerno

3 years and half from when ? from now ? I need an exact deadline.

August 17, 2011 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |
    • Dan from Detroit, MI

Dan, are you sure you're a Christian? What you need to do is to rid yourself of all that hatred, especially for the Muslims overseas. After all, they worship the same God as we do. In fact, Allah is Arabic for Jehovah. Besides, all that hate is Unchristian. On the other hand, the right-wing thugs in Washington are glad to know that there is a lot of hate around as they use it to their advantage!!!

August 16, 2011 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
      • Dan from Chicago, Il

Yes Dan, a Christian that would give his life to fight evil people who would even use themselves as bombs or fly jets to attack America and believe that all infidels will be killed or convert to their unsubstantiated Islamic faith! As for your assumption of Allah, Jehovah and the Christian God being the same you are very wrong!

August 16, 2011 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
      • salerno

Right, politicians use hate at their advantage. Consider that in late 2009, right before Obama agreed to the surge in Afghanistan, defense farm spent $136 millions in lobbying activities wich was a jump as noted by The Huffington Post.
        The 3 major firms involved were Boeing, Lockheed Martin and Northrop Grumman. They were rewarded with multi billion$ contracts, from 23.5 b. to 35.7b for Lockheed.

August 16, 2011 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
      • D. A. N.

That is correct and put many to work, it also has built up our capability to put down any radical Muslim imposition anywhere in the world. Thank you Omar and bin Laden!

August 16, 2011 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
      • salerno

No Dan, capabilities were improved by tech research and innovations like Reagan did with satellite technology. Thiese contracts were a wasting of money and resources that weakened America militarily (as money was subtracted from research) and economically for the deficit. The demonstration is that now USA must cut defense budget even more giving up many advanced research and new jets production like the F35.

August 17, 2011 at 3:40 am | Report abuse |
  6. Hans B. Pandjaitan from Jakarta/Indonesia

I suggests to CNN to terminate this forum as it seemed some comments no longer reflecting courteous discussion.
    I celebrate the fact that we live in a pluralistic society, with many different worldviews and lifestyles. I support the democratic process and believe that civil society is at its best when people with different perspectives engage in a mutually respectful dialogue.
    Those lacking in confidence were encouraged, the weak supported, the nervous reassured and the sensitive types spoken so privately when the need arose. We are only human after all!

August 16, 2011 at 12:12 am | Report abuse |
  7. Really

If you posted anything other than a condolence on this page, you are a sad person and I am sure whatever group or religion you pretend to support would be ashamed by your complete lack of respect for others. Please don't reply to this with your comments, I'm not posting for thanks for anger. I am especially disturbed by those pretending to support christianity. As a christian I don't care what your goal is, you are doing nothing but harm. Please please stop all of you. This is not the place. The family may see this, I can't imagine the damage that would do to their emotions. As a friend of the family I can't express my disgust and rage strongly enough. You all make me fell ashamed of humanity.

August 15, 2011 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dan from Chicago, Il

OH Really, if you are truly a Christian then you would appreciate the fact that some tell this boy and his family the Jesus and Bryan will always always be with them especially in these hard times!

August 16, 2011 at 8:08 am | Report abuse |

not the but that

August 16, 2011 at 8:09 am | Report abuse |
      • salerno

Dan -Really asked to not reply. You once again showed no respect for the family.

August 16, 2011 at 9:04 am | Report abuse |
  8. Deb Robinson

I just listened to some of the above interviews of friends and family. How it breaks my heart – the losses you have faced–the tragedy of the helicopter crash!! So many lives!! But to hear the grace with which you speak paints a picture of your loved ones. Thank you for sharing even your grief with us.

I wish there were words to say–unfortunately, mine are so insignificant. Please know that you and your families are in my prayers!! The best comfort I have ever known has come from my Lord. Thank you for sharing your loved ones with us!! Thank you for your sacrifice and service!! We love and appreciate you!!

August 14, 2011 at 7:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • George Patton

Come on Deb, those bozoes were there to slaughter people, not to help them. After all, how many people tried to glorify Italian troops who were killed in Ethiopia between 1935 and 1936? Those you never hear about and they had no right to be in Ethiopia either! Just get over it, will you?

August 15, 2011 at 12:54 am | Report abuse |
      • Dan from Detroit, MI

Thank you George for telling it like it is. Like Ryan, Blesoe, Bud Tree Jr and others below, I get sick and tired of all these uneducated right-wingers posting their unequivocal support for this obnoxious war. This war needs to end as soon as possible and the obscene carnage stopped once and for all!!!

August 15, 2011 at 6:57 am | Report abuse |
      • salerno

I agree with Patton and Dan from Detroit, as I don't see hate, just repulsion from war.

August 15, 2011 at 7:45 am | Report abuse |
      • salerno

Americans are doing nothing for the afghan people, except killing them. No reason to be gratefull.

August 15, 2011 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
      • salerno

Taliban applie their laws. God's punishment is afterlife.

August 15, 2011 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
      • Grayson

Salerno – you see nothing but love and tolerance in calling our troops bozos? I see stupidity, intolerance and hate. Our troops didn't ask for this, no one wants to go to war. Everyone wants this to end there is absolutely no reason to post hateful commentary regarding our troops. After reading George's other commentary he doesn't have room to call anyone a bozo. It's like the pot calling the kettle black. Moron.

August 15, 2011 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
      • Dan from Chicago, Il

We've done plenty for Afghanistan and if you think were killing regular afghans purposely just wait till we leave. There will be thousands more deaths just from the infighting of the different Islamic beliefs of how and who will rule Afghanistan! LIKE I SAID YOUR KORAN WAS THE DEVIL'S REPENTANCE TO GOD! THAT IS WHY ISLAMIC LEADERS ARE ALWAYS KILLING ONE ANOTHER, BECAUSE YOUR SPIRITS COME FROM THE DEVIL'S SPIRIT! IF YOU ALL WOULD TAKE JESUS' SPIRIT INTO YOUR HEARTS, MINDS AND SOULS YOU WOULD BEGIN TO LOVE ONE ANOTHER INSTEAD OF ALL THIS HATRED FOR OTHERS. CANT YOU LOOK AT YOURSELVES AND SEE WHAT JESUS SEES!

August 15, 2011 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse |
      • salerno

Dan – Your invasive religious posts disturbed the family as stated by Really.

August 16, 2011 at 3:07 am | Report abuse |
      • salerno

Grayson – I know that there are some military contrarian to the war and they are fallen in a military trap, as demonstrated by the high number of suicide cases and PTSD occurring inside the military. This is why I am telling to the people that enlisting voluntarily in this dituation is wrong.

August 16, 2011 at 3:14 am | Report abuse |
      • Dan from Chicago, Il

Invasive? salerno huh? Your writings do more to upset anybody's family who had one of their members die in this war! If you look back all I said is that he wanted his father to be known as a hero and the his father and Jesus will always be with them in his heart, mind and soul! AS A MATTER OF FACT YOU HAVE SAID THAT YOU WERE HAPPY WHEN THEIR FAMILY MEMBERS WERE KILLED, YOU LIAR AND HYPOCRITE!

August 16, 2011 at 8:18 am | Report abuse |
      • salerno

Dan – Yes INVASIVE, respect to his mother.

August 16, 2011 at 9:10 am | Report abuse |
      • Joyce Peck

"George Patton",
        "Those people" were their to service their Country. If not, you would be unable to post your opinion. They answered their call to duty.
        Joyce Peck
        mother of SSG Patrick D. Hambuerger KIA 08/0602011

September 1, 2011 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
    • Some people

@Deb
      Thank you for your kind words for this 10 year old child. He felt the need to share his thoughts about his dad with the decent human beings in this world, as part of his grieving process. Unfortunately he'll read the hateful pathetic tripe posted by Patton, Bledsoe and others who have no heart or common decency. I hope he remembers posts like yours and others who show compassion for this child's pain.

@Patton
      You're a disgusting pos. This kid is 10 not 30 you jackwagon. Don't procreate the world needs fewer people like you.

August 15, 2011 at 5:01 am | Report abuse |
      • salerno

some people – I see hate in your post directed not against war, but against individuals talking against war.

August 16, 2011 at 3:25 am | Report abuse |
      • Dan from Chicago, Il

Salerno if your so peace loving then why don't you tell your Taliban friends and their terrorist allies to stop fighting for power once again! The afghan people do not want them to rule with their ungodly ways!

August 16, 2011 at 8:22 am | Report abuse |
      • salerno

Dan – Even Pamiri's friend of Northern alliance are fighting for power.

August 16, 2011 at 9:12 am | Report abuse |
  9. Ryan is sick of CNN commentators

Seriously, like you're going to be heard. NONE OF YOU WILL BE HEARD. Left, right, up, down.. it doesn't matter what political allegiance or country you're coming from. You comments will never be heard, and both sides are annoying as hell! Just stop.

August 14, 2011 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dan from Chicago, Il

Ryan if you don't want to hear it don't connect. Simple as that! I will always defend my savior and you need to put Him first in your life too!

August 14, 2011 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
      • Ryan is sick of CNN commentators

Don't give me that sob crap! I served in the Navy for 6 years. It's devastating to hear that shipmates and soldiers have fallen (especially when one of them is a local from your home state i.e Hawai'i), but we don't blow it up (like what you're doing), nor disrespect the dead (like the extreme left, "fake" islamists, ppl from other countries are doing) no matter where he came from and what he was doing. These comment boards are abused to the extreme and are left uncheck despite what the ToS states.

August 14, 2011 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
      • Dan from Chicago, Il

Are you calling Jesus a son of a biatch? Otherwise what kind of sob crap am I giving you? I am very grateful for those fighting evil in this world and feel for the families that have lost loved ones no matter where they are from. All I have ever said was that all those who lost their lives fighting these evil people will be glorified and to be strong because they will always be with them just as Jesus is!

August 14, 2011 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
      • Ryan is sick of CNN commentators

and all I said is that NONE of you will ever be really heard. You're just posting comments of your dribble just because you see a comment box and you want the world to be like you!

August 14, 2011 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
      • Dan from Chicago, Il

OH I won't be heard, huh? Why then do some comment back? And yes I do want people to be like me, a person who hates evil and put Jesus Christ first in their lives to become more Christlike. This is what God asks of all of us! But if you wish you can put other THINGS first and never be close to God. And again if you do not want to hear anything said on these blogs do not connect to them. Your personal view is that of hatred for all who comment here. Maybe you should take time to understand peoples opinions and then give your opinion on what was said. Otherwise your opinion is hatred for all who give their opinions or maybe you want everyone to be like you and not give their opinions on such grave matters.

August 14, 2011 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
      • Ryan is sick of people like "Dan"

You're exactly the kind of person who should be banned from the internet... It's for your ignorance. The world doesn't revolve around your little tiny imposition of what you think is right in the world. Get that through your thick skull.

August 15, 2011 at 5:25 am | Report abuse |
      • Dan from Chicago, Il

NO Ryan it resolves around Jesus! As God said the earth is His footstool and people like you have NO worth in it! So please go away!

August 15, 2011 at 6:21 am | Report abuse |
      • salerno

Dan – there is noone wishing to be like you.

August 15, 2011 at 7:33 am | Report abuse |
      • Dan from Chicago, Il

That's not what I've had heard throughout MY life! Many people LOVE me and consider me as a good person unlike yourself!

August 15, 2011 at 8:24 am | Report abuse |
      • Dan from Chicago, Il

Otherwise MY pastor would not have asked me to be a deacon in his church!

August 15, 2011 at 8:26 am | Report abuse |
      • Dan from Chicago, Il

AND BY ALL ACCOUNTS WHAT I HAVE READ NOT TOO MANY PEOPLE EITHER WANT TO BE LIKE YOU OR BE YOUR FRIEND!

August 15, 2011 at 9:02 am | Report abuse |
      • salerno

Dan – Differently from you, I am not looking for people being like me or even for friends. I am not trying to convert people to another religion, but to the spirit of their choosen religion. I am trying to convert you to be a true Jesus follower.

August 15, 2011 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
      • Pete

@Dan

There is no god. Take your spastic religious beliefs and stick them where the sun doesn't shine. Retard.

August 15, 2011 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
      • Dan from Chicago, Il

And then please tell ME more about Jesus, like you would know! A person who thinks God would need to make more than one Christ!

August 16, 2011 at 9:01 am | Report abuse |
      • salerno

God can make as many Christs as he wants as he is omni-potent and does not need your allowance.

August 16, 2011 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
    • Deb Robinson

Ryan, Please–this is not the place for these comments. I know you have a right to be heard. 🙂 But out of respect for the families and their losses, please voice your opinion elsewhere. Thank you.

August 14, 2011 at 7:31 pm | Report abuse |
      • Ryan

Excuse me, ma'am. Hear it from me (someone who was in the US Navy for 6 years), that most of these comment boards are a bunch of political, and extreme religious ignorance that overshadow the people who generally would be sending condolences out. You can't be that blind to see it. To top it off, this is NOT the place to be sending condolences. You really want to help? reach out personally. Get involved with programs like MWR, the Navy League, and USO. I run a veteran support club from my college campus. Be heard instead of fighting on grossly ignorant, and radicalized posters on this site. I'm not afraid of calling these people out, so I will NOT be told to stop. Do you understand?

August 15, 2011 at 5:33 am | Report abuse |
      • Dan from Chicago, Il

What are you ryan trying to glorify your smart ass? Who do you think you are? Your nothing but a smart ass kid and really have no idea of what war is about! I'd bet you would act differently if you were fighting these evil people! You SAY you served in the navy and if this is true surely it was during peacetime not during any war or you would be heartfelt for this 10 year old boy who wants his father to be remembered as a hero just like the navy seals! Also you never learned brotherhood or else you would not talk to people in such an arrogant way thinking you know how people should show their gratification for this boys father. You sir are not a real American, but a real jerk!

August 15, 2011 at 6:35 am | Report abuse |
      • Ryan is sick of CNN commentators

Wow, guy.. Why don't you troll a little harder? I don't think Jesus heard you yet.

August 15, 2011 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
      • Ryan is sick of CNN commentators

Oh, and your response alone just gave yourself up. The vulnerability brought by your ignorance triggered that troll of a response. You're not a follower of Jesus. You know NOTHING of war... and sounds like you don't know much at all in the first place. This has been quite a laughable 24 hours if I do say so myself.

August 15, 2011 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • KC

@ Ryan

Thank you. I'm also sick of people like Dan/George babbling nonsensically, calling our troops names and blaming them instead of Congress for our situation. Their commentary demonstrates the depth of deliberate stupidity rampant in the US and the pride taken in being in being idiotic. Perfect examples of intolerance and hate from those claiming the opposite. Take heart not everyone in the US is that vacuous, hateful and reveling in the death of our troops.

August 15, 2011 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
      • Dan from Chicago, Il

KC when did I downgrade our troops? And if we did not get involved in this war there surely would be more attacks against western interest seeing the Taliban was harboring terrorist and allowing them to train in Afghanistan! And Ryan when a terrorist group attacks the US we are obligated to take action against those who committed them and those who protect them! So war was inevitable!

August 16, 2011 at 8:40 am | Report abuse |
  10. Love not war!!

All of these comments have no use when someone dies. Keep them to your self! I'm outraged that you have nothing better to do but post obscene thoughts here.

August 14, 2011 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  11. sherri

Hey Brayden, I am so proud of such a strong young man. Your father is a man oh honor.If there were more people like your father in America we would be a stronger country. Grow up to be honorable like him.

August 14, 2011 at 1:46 am | Report abuse |
    • BUBBA--ALABAMA STYLE!!!

Come on sherri, all this right-wing slobbering is getting awfully corney and very old. A boy loses his father and all these right-wing blowhards jump in here to try to populaize this obscene war. Where's their shame???

August 14, 2011 at 2:19 am | Report abuse |
      • George Patton

Thank you, BUBBA. Like you, I don't have any use for this obnoxious war either and I'm super aggravated at all these right-wing nutjobs for try to popularize it by any means possible. Enough already!!!

August 14, 2011 at 2:35 am | Report abuse |
      • salerno

Enough is enough. We are not those pushing the soldiers to enlist and to fight. Their condolences are not sincere.

August 14, 2011 at 5:39 am | Report abuse |
      • Dan from Chicago, Il

Who are you to say that the condolences here are not sincere? A man who thinks that it is OK for Mladic to kill thousands of unarmed men and boys! And you liberal pieces of chit who do not care that the Taliban not only allowed al Qaeda to train and plot attacks against the west but also ruled people by torture and terror! YOU ALL INCLUDING SALERNO HAVE NO HEART AND SOUL FOR THOSE FIGHTING TO NOT ONLY PROTECT OUR INTERESTS BUT ALSO FOR THE AFGHAN PEOPLES INTERESTS!

August 14, 2011 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
      • salerno

Wrong , Dan. Taliban did not plan 9/11. The attack was planned in Germany by Saudi citizens who entered into USA LEGALLY.

August 14, 2011 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
      • salerno

Your lies are the proof you are not sincere Dan.. You enjoy for the tragedies like this, coming out from the war you are supporting. This is why you are a warmonger, but you care to be safe without risking your life.

August 14, 2011 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
      • Dan from Chicago, Il

Tell me where you live and I'll risk my life! AND IDIOT BIN LADEN WAS SEEN ON TAPE HEARING ABOUT THE ATTACKS AND TELLING OTHERS TO WAIT THERE IS MORE TO COME! HE WAS PROTECTED BY THE TALIBAN WHICH MAKES THEM AN ACCOMPLICE!

August 14, 2011 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
      • Dan from Chicago, Il

ALSO EVERY AMERICAN AND NATO MAN AND WOMEN FIGHTING THIS WAR I AM VERY GRATEFUL FOR BECAUSE THEY ARE FIGHTING EVIL THAT EXIST IN THE WORLD AND FOR THAT REASON GOD WILL SURELY BE WITH THEM FOR ETERNITY!

August 14, 2011 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
      • Ryan

Your grandma plotted 9/11.... how does that grab ya?

Your mass nutjob right AND far radical us hating left comments and imposition of opinions are just as credible as me saying that your granny was the mastermind of 9/11. Get it, idiots?

August 14, 2011 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
      • Dan from Chicago, Il

I GET THAT YOUR AN IDIOT!

August 14, 2011 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
      • salerno

Dan – OBL was not protected by Taliban. Conversely he helped afghan people to defend themselves from the aggression. OBL was protected by selected number of people.

August 15, 2011 at 7:26 am | Report abuse |
      • Dan from Chicago, Il

You just love to lie don't you? Bin Laden was protected by the leader of the Taliban and he was asked to give him up and he did not so the Taliban has and will get what they deserve! Not only because of their protection of a mass murder, but also because of the way they treated their own people! God will not relent!

August 15, 2011 at 8:31 am | Report abuse |
      • salerno

Mullah Omar was not aware of the OBL's role in 9/11 and asked proof to the US. Later on OBL claimed responsibility, but the attack was planned in Germany.

August 15, 2011 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
      • Dan from Chicago, Il

More lies salerno? We had told him what bin Laden had orchestrated and he still did not give him up, so how can you tell ME that he did not know and also al Qaeda was training terrorists inside Afghanistan and you will tell ME that he did not know that either?

August 16, 2011 at 8:44 am | Report abuse |
      • salerno

Omar asked proof and offered to consign OBL to an international tribunal for an impartial trial.

August 16, 2011 at 9:16 am | Report abuse |
      • sherri

Why are you so presumptuous as to think I am "right-wing?" Is it because I am caring about the loss of child's father whom is an honorable man? Trust me, I do not give a crap about you so does that make me more to your liking? You are probably some worthless piece of crap who cares nothing about anybody but themselves. I take it that would make you a "left wing nut?" People like you who sit and pass judgement are pitiful, sad, little, lonely men I am sure.

August 17, 2011 at 12:23 am | Report abuse |
  12. J. Weeks

Braydon....

It is clear that you are your father's son by the very act you are taking in requesting that we do not forget your father. He will live on through you and will never be forgotten. You and your mother have my deepest condolences in the loss of your dad. I know there are many Americans who feel as I do – your dad was a brave and honorable man, and we will forever be indebted to him for his service to our country. I know that you will miss your dad. When you are thinking of your loss try to consider how unselfish he was in choosing to do his part to serve the greatest country in the world, the United States of America. Thank you Braydon for sharing your thoughts and making us more aware of your dad and the sacrifice he made.

August 13, 2011 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bud Tree Jr.

Another right-wing idiot here spewing his mumbo-jumbo. This is awfully corney and getting old in a hurry! Enough is enough!!!

August 13, 2011 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse |
      • MicheleG

If you don't like it go away. A simple solution for the simple minded.

August 13, 2011 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Dan from Chicago, Il

Braydon I am sincerely sorry for your loss, but you, your family, friends and God knows what a good man your father is and you should know that he with Jesus will always be with you in your heart, mind and soul! I know it's hard now, but remember he in the Holy Spirit will always be with you.

August 13, 2011 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |

He's in the Holy Spirit!

August 13, 2011 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Really

There are a number of posts on here that disgust me. I don't care about your religion, political affiliation or emotional viewpoint. But, you should show some respect to the son, family, and friends. Find some other article to sell religion, hate, and anger. Left, right, atheist, or Christian a man is dead and his son is sad. Don't use this as your soap box.

August 13, 2011 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • MicheleG

Thank you. Complete agreement here.

The trolls hijack (ruin) and pervert the original intent of any thread they invade.

August 13, 2011 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |

Justification for war!
        1) Killing of thousands of unarmed Muslim men and boys!
        2)Another leader killing unarmed protesters!
        3)Same as above!
        4)Mass killings of defenseless workers!
        5)Harboring mass murders!
        6)Rulers who kill, torture, maim and terrorize their people for power!
        7)Any country that takes over another for it's own benefit!

August 13, 2011 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
      • Dan from Chicago, Il

BUT salerno I KNOW HOW HEARTLESS YOU ARE!

August 13, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
      • Dan from Chicago, Il

I am sure the Nichols family are Christian and are grateful to have Jesus Christ with them in their time of need! As for you and salerno you enjoy seeing these kids husbands and mothers getting killed! So I don't want to hear your hypocrisy of concern for them. You would rather have them convert to your 360 cult than console them! They are well taken care of through their faith, love and hope of a world without fanatical Muslims dictating how one should live and for that matter all evil minded people! If you would rather kill, hate, decapitate others because they do not share the same faith as your so called truth THEN YOU ARE THE EVIL ONE AND GOD'S WRATH AWAITS YOU SICK PEOPLE!

August 13, 2011 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |
      • salerno

Dan – you are continuing talking about religion even if others blamed you to do so. You don't know if the son is a practizing christian and it is irrelevant. Anyway his parents divorced or at least were separated, so not a typical christian family.
        There is nothing wrong with that for me but it is highlighting problems in the american society. Christianity does not admit divorce or separation.

August 14, 2011 at 5:35 am | Report abuse |
      • salerno

Dan – No divorce is impossible inside christianity. You are more similar to a muslim than to a christian. The problem is that protestants are no christians, they are heretics.

August 14, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
      • Dan from Chicago, Il

You know nothing about Christianity, READ Mathew 19:9!

August 14, 2011 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
      • salerno

Matthew is ambiguous. The other 3 gospels are more clear and they say divorce is never admitted. This is what the real christians (like the orthodox and the catholic) are practizing. Marriage can only be nullified if it was not valid from the beginning or there is no consumption "erecto pene".

August 15, 2011 at 7:21 am | Report abuse |
      • Dan from Chicago, Il

Mathew was one of the first disciples of Christ and you are an IDIOT!

August 15, 2011 at 8:33 am | Report abuse |
      • Dan from Chicago, Il

And tell me were infidelity is not a reason to get a divorce in any part of God's word!

August 15, 2011 at 8:37 am | Report abuse |
      • salerno

Dan – Wrong. The first were Peter. Andrew Filippo. The 3 apostiles closer to Jesus were John, Peter, Jacomo (transfiguration). The christianity catholic and orthodox never allow divorce and expell from the church those who are married for the second time without any forgiveness untill they do not stop the sin.

August 15, 2011 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
    • salerno

I agree. Dan posted 13 times and 5 or 6 were about religion. I gave just an answer about that argument and blamed people like him and other war mongers for the loss. What can I say to the son ? Nothing can change the situation and give back his father. I do not push anyone to war and do not find any justification.

August 13, 2011 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
      • Dan from Chicago, Il

And where were you and your family when Hitler took over Italy? Hiding in some shack I bet! When a murderous terrorist attacks and kills Americans he and all who support him will be subject to our armed forces which Bryan Nichols served in and was very proud do so as his son was so proud of his moral character that he and his comrades fought to vanquish evil from the world! AND ANYTHING YOU SAY salerno COMES FROM YOUR DERANGED MIND, NOT FROM YOUR HEART! THIS I KNOW AS DOES GOD!

August 13, 2011 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
      • Dan from Chicago, Il

And for your information I only written two times about Christ other than to let Braydon know Jesus is always there to comfort him. The two times I wrote about Jesus was when you and your beloved Islamic racist talked falsehood about HIM!

August 13, 2011 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
      • Dan from Chicago, Il

AND LIAR, IF YOU AGREE WHY THEN DID YOU POST THE FALSEHOOD BELOW? I DID NOT MENTION ANYTHING ABOUT JESUS ABOVE! ALSO YOUR REMARKS ON AUGUST II, 2011 AT 4:11 PM WERE IN NO WAY CONDOLENCES TO THE CHILD! AS A MATTER OF FACT YOU GAVE NO CONDOLENCES TO BRAYDON OR HIS FAMILY!

August 13, 2011 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
      • salerno

Dan – You posted many times about religion and I gave you only ONE answer. You are talking about Jesus comfort without knowing if He and his family are believers or practizing christians. His parents were separated, so his family is was not a model for christians. Many american families have problems and parents divorced.

August 14, 2011 at 5:28 am | Report abuse |
      • Dan from Chicago, Il

When one sins it does not mean they are not Christians!

August 14, 2011 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
      • Dan from Chicago, Il

And many Muslim women are submissive to their husbands and have a very unholy unification. They have no say as to how they want to live their lives and I am sure are very unhappy people! If you call this LOVE then you have no idea of what LOVE IS!

August 14, 2011 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
      • salerno

Dan – as you can see, you are always talking about religion, assuming they are christians, and even talking about muslim women. Women were often submissive as in the Bible Old T. is said they are under men control. Islam was the first tradition to give women some rights. One of the first OBL wife, a descendent of the prophet, did not want to follow her husband in the jihad, as he preferred a quite life. The same could be said for many american women who leave their military husbands as a father should be near his family.

August 14, 2011 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
      • Dan from Chicago, Il

Your an IDIOT salerno! God said that when man marries a woman they become ONE! HE did not say that the man should be the property owner of that woman which is the way in the Muslim world!

August 14, 2011 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
      • Dan from Chicago, Il

AND YOUR PROPHET IS A FAKE!

August 14, 2011 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
      • salerno

Dan – Women are not a property inside Islam. In USA women were a property (like men) untill some years ago.
        The Quran allowed the women to get heritage, so they are owners not property.

August 15, 2011 at 7:12 am | Report abuse |
      • Dan from Chicago, Il

In the Muslim world women are not even allowed to go outside by themselves, TELL ME that they are not the property of men?!

August 15, 2011 at 8:40 am | Report abuse |
      • salerno

Dan – Muslims should follow sharia more strictly. If they mistreat women that is wrong, but even in christians countries like Romania or even Italy women are often mistreated.

August 15, 2011 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
  15. salerno

Dan – Jesus will not judge anyone. God will judje the individuals, not the nations as he is not racist like you scu-m

August 13, 2011 at 10:08 am | Report abuse |
    • Dan from Chicago, Il

Read Mathew 25:31-32 and you can read further in the chapter through 46 and find out what will happen to you!

August 13, 2011 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
      • Dan from Chicago, Il

If you read Takobi In the end of that chapter you will know why Jesus tells you to go away!

August 14, 2011 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  16. jleoxii13

Braydon, you are a good son and will grow up to be a good man. The world is lucky to have you.

August 12, 2011 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bledsoe

More right-wing bla-bla-bla. I just wish that the right-wing news media would quit using this boy's feelings to further glorify this obnoxious war. Enough is enough, don't you think???

August 12, 2011 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse |
      • ((

since when is simple encouragement for this boy "glorifying" the war?

August 12, 2011 at 8:30 pm | Report abuse |
  17. BANGASH

What a tragic moment to see this kid asking world to remember his fallen father for what he had been doing in Afghanistan. Certainly for kid the fallen was a hero as he was his father however he was completely unaware of the background leading to depriving him of his dear father. Now the question is who should be blamed for the tears of this innocent kid the Taliban or the Pentagon. If Taliban had grounded this helicopter on American soil then there was justification in blaming them for the killing but if same has happened at Afghanistan the home of Taliban where Americans are Invaders, and aggressors and killing innocent Afghans through same helicopters in their homes and towns and like Braydon hundreds of such Afghans kids are deprived of their loved one by firing from same helicopters at their homes. So we all on this page need to understand basic realities leading to such unfortunate moments in our life then projecting one side of the picture. I hope if we all thought over this impartially and with human instinct then we will surely make USA responsible for all such tragic incidents in our world.

August 12, 2011 at 8:16 am | Report abuse |
    • salerno

Bangash – As usual you are impartial and equilibrate. The same day (saturday), right before the chinnook was tacken down, the american airstrikes killed a woman and her six children in that operation. Just to put it in the context.

August 12, 2011 at 9:04 am | Report abuse |
      • Bangash

Salerno for the last three decades my homeland is a warfront either in the name of Islam or in the name of US's wars against Communism or today war on terror. So my three decades long observations has made me reach the conclusion that the best way to see the world is humanism as we all in this way can become one and put an end to the centuries old confrontations on religious, ethnic, racial and national grounds. No doubt I am burning in US inflicted wars on our homes and I should have crossed every limit in condemnation of these perpetrators but I also see people like you and John Perkins in America and even today 64% of Americans condemn these warmonger or in the words of Yakubi the baby killers. So my balanced or impartial approach is aimed at wining maximum against the evil forces whom have made the world, our joint paradise a hell for all of us.

August 14, 2011 at 6:31 am | Report abuse |
      • Dan from Chicago, Il

GOD WILL BE THE JUDGE, THANK YOU BANGASH! HE SURELY WILL NOT HAVE ANY EVIL PEOPLE HAVE ANY SAY IN THE MATTER! IF YOU THINK THE TALIBAN ARE SUCH A GOOD PEOPLE TELL ME WHY THEY MURDER PEOPLE IN THE STREETS, FORCE CHILDREN TO JOIN IN THEIR CAUSE AND PROTECT TERRORISTS WHO WANT TO SEE THE DEATH OF THE WESTERN WORLD?

August 14, 2011 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dan from Chicago, Il

YEA think about IT! If there were not leaders in this world who would either commit atrocities or allow others safe haven to commit same atrocities we would not have to be there or elsewhere in the world to fight, kill or capture these evil people!

August 12, 2011 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
      • Dan from Chicago, Il

The Taliban are NOT victims, but are the ones who allowed this war to begin!

August 12, 2011 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
      • Dan from Chicago, Il

Omar was told what would happen if he did not give up bin Laden! Now his ass is in danger!

August 12, 2011 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
      • Dan from Chicago, Il

What style did Jimmy Hoffa have?

August 12, 2011 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
      • Dan from Chicago, Il

See you don't know chit about America, But you claim it to be the devil and all it's people criminals because of their faith in Jesus as the Christ. You had better take a good look at the people you are and who you associate with because they and you are headed down a dead end street!

August 13, 2011 at 8:04 am | Report abuse |
      • salerno

America is trying to move away from the no end street. The budget deal involves 350 billions cut to the defence as I told. It is not enough, but it is a beginning. Stopping operations in Iraq and Afghanistan coud save soon 180 billions.

August 13, 2011 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
      • Dan from Chicago, Il

I tell you no matter how much money it may cost to rid the world from the evil within you radical Islamic religious fanatics we will do all we can to put an end to it! It's a shame that the Islamic world does not help, But I guess as long as Islam is deemed a force to be reckoned with they are showing that they don't care about the evil within their religion and would rather have the west deal with it. IT JUST GOES TO SHOW HOW UNGODLY ISLAM IS!

August 13, 2011 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
      • Bangash

DAN II You and your Masters are the biggest evil on the surface of this earth. You Americans every where in the world are the main cause of wars and you are the biggest producers/sellers and users of these deadly weapons. You in the name of human rights always disgrace innocent humanity all over the world. Now enough is enough and God is going to take care of your attrocities and highhandednes on Afghan soil and today barefooted Taliban have failed your the most advanced technology in warfare and soon world will see How God make you a lesson for the rest of generations

August 14, 2011 at 6:09 am | Report abuse |
      • Dan from Chicago, Il

YES BANGASH WE ARE A BIG SUPPLIER OF WEAPONS BUT IF WE DID NOT SUPPLY YOU UNGRATEFUL PEOPLE WITH THEM YOU WOULD STILL BE LIVING UNDER SOVIET RULE! AND GOD WILL ALWAYS POUR HIS LOVE DOWN ON AMERICA!

August 14, 2011 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dan from Chicago, Il

GOD WILL BE THE JUDGE, THANK YOU!

August 14, 2011 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |

August 14, 2011 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Kolawole Ajao

Braydon, I prognosticate you would be a better soldier than your dad if you joined the Army. Believe me. You are a man of valour yourself.
    The whole world loves you.

August 12, 2011 at 6:01 am | Report abuse |
    • salerno

Sure ! A better soldier ! What else ?! There are no alternatives !

August 12, 2011 at 9:07 am | Report abuse |
  19. Kolawole Ajao

A very nice post and conveys what is the truth of the whole matter.
    Thank you, Andrea.

August 12, 2011 at 5:59 am | Report abuse |
  20. Mikey

Lest we forget in this technologically loaded society of ours, it was Braydon himself who posted an iReport. iReport, being, if you will note, a sub blog on this gigantic website. A NEWS venue, heart and core.

If you want to keep something private do not post here. But Braydon wanted the world to know of his loss. Give him a break.

August 11, 2011 at 11:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • salerno

He posted because he need a comfort. You should do something to repair.

August 12, 2011 at 2:55 am | Report abuse |
    • Mikey

F*&K you. Filthy hypocrite. It is NEITHER about you or me.

August 12, 2011 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |
      • Mikey

YES, he needed comfort! Duh!

At least insult me rather than a grieving son.

August 12, 2011 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
      • salerno

In fact my post was directed to you.

August 12, 2011 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
      • Dan from Chicago, Il

He posted it because he was proud of his father and wanted the world to know that along with the seals that his father was a hero too! HE HAS THE COMFORT HE NEEDS WITH JESUS, FAMILY AND FRIENDS WHICH YOU ARE NOT PART OF, SALERNO!

August 12, 2011 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
      • salerno

Dan – So everything is ok for you. Keep going on that way, if you like. Americans will continue to have these problems for ever......

August 13, 2011 at 3:05 am | Report abuse |
      • Dan from Chicago, Il

America like all nations will be judge by Jesus and I am sure that he will deem America as one of the greatest nations!

August 13, 2011 at 5:29 am | Report abuse |
  21. Dan from Detroit, MI

As with Bledsoe below, the very use of a 7-year-old boy grieving for his father to try to glorify this obscene war by the people in the right-wing news media nauseates me to no end. Al the time the Russians were in Afghanistan, even their news media people never sank that low! I suppose that they'll be using a 3-year-old girl next!!!

August 11, 2011 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Andrew Lubin

I feel the same way you and Bledsoe do, Dan. Using the feelings of a 7-year-old boy in order to glorify an obscene war is a very unsavory thing to do. How the people in the right-wing news media can sink so low is truly beyond me, but then again, they are right-wing and therefore capable of anything.

August 12, 2011 at 12:05 am | Report abuse |
    • salerno

Americans are very similar to the Taliban. The latter use young suicide bombers, the former use an orphan as a propaganda tool.

August 12, 2011 at 2:52 am | Report abuse |
      • Dan from Chicago, Il

Such a LIAR and a HYPOCRITE!

August 12, 2011 at 5:12 am | Report abuse |
      • Mikey

Yup, that says it....you are a liar and a hypocrite. Self righteous and contemptible.

August 12, 2011 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
      • salerno

Your condolences are not sincere, as you want people to die. This is why you support the war. You are indirectly responsible for this boy's loss.

August 14, 2011 at 5:45 am | Report abuse |
    • Dan from Chicago, Il

You guys who want to accuse the media should have a thoughtful thing to say to Braydon and the news media for they did what Braydon ask for Braydon wanted his father to be known like all the rest of the fallen, a hero and asked CNN to show a picture of his father. Why don't you three do something good for him instead of being hypocrites. He fought for freedom and democracy for others more than what you guys would do for anybody.

August 12, 2011 at 5:34 am | Report abuse |
      • salerno

Dan – My target for the blame are the war-mongers. They are the true responsible for the situation and for the deaths occurred among both sides. Looking from the picture Braydon looks a good guy. I had many american friends like him.
        I know that even if he disagreed with the war he could do nothing as the military does not admit objection and there is a big price to be paid. Many soldiers are fallen in a military trap and cannot exit from the military.

August 12, 2011 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
      • Dan from Chicago, Il

MOST WANT TO KILL YOUR BELOVED TALIBAN AND THEIR TERRORIST ALLIES!

August 12, 2011 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Hans B. Pandjaitan

Dear Braydon:
    I have always believed that God never gives cross to bear larger than we can carry. No matter what, He wants us to be happy. Birds sing after a storm. Why shouldn't we? Look not mournfully into the past; it returns no more, wisely improve the present and go forth into the shadowy future without fear and with manly heart. God Bless You and your Mom, Braydon!

August 11, 2011 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Bledsoe

This goes to show just how far the right-wing news media is willing to go in order to glorify this obnoxious war. Now they're using a 7-year-old boy to that end. How repulsive indeed!!! This is going a bit too far!

August 11, 2011 at 8:10 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Mikey

Regardless of all the politics and all the hate and propaganda, a boy misses and grieves for his father.

Wish I could hug him and give him comfort. Don't let cruel and mean bullies mess with your head Braydon. Those who would be especially cruel act that way only because they are at a distance and cannot be held accountable (as they should be!) for their atrocious behavior.

You are loved, by those who really count in your life, as you loved your Dad. Nothing else matters.

August 11, 2011 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • salerno

Mikey – I defined this boy as a victime. Conversely you warmongers are responsible for the hate environment and rhetoric that pushed his father to die.

August 12, 2011 at 2:50 am | Report abuse |
      • Dan from Chicago, Il

I'M A MAN WHO HATES EVIL AND IF THAT MAKES ME A WARMONGER SO BE IT!

August 12, 2011 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mikey

Respecting a son's grief IN NO WAY makes me a war monger.

August 12, 2011 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
  25. salerno

This poor boy is a victim of the war rhetoric that pushed his father to enlist. In this environment the risk is that he will never understand the truth beyond the war. Congratulation to the war mongers !!

August 11, 2011 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  26. thomas j parker

Get Out of Afgainstan, and take care of our on!!we give and give to other countries just to pay them off to [BE OUR FRIENDS [o'no]

August 11, 2011 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Andrea Warner

Dear sweet Braydon...

Youur story has touched me deeply. Not only is your daddy a Hero but he is an inspiration to to many people around the world. He was handpicked by God to fight this special fight and his reward is eternity in heaven. Your dad has saved thousands among thousands of lives and he will never be forgotten. He lives not only in you but in the faces of those that he's saved. While were down here mourning his death he's smiling down on you at the right hand of God saluting those who continue to fight for what he believed in. The good thing is little man...you can count on seeing him again. God is so good and i'm sure your daddy is being well taken care of!! I can promise you i'll do what I can to make sure everyone I know remebers your Dad. He's my hero too🙂 because of him, he helped this world become a better place. He is so lucky to have such a brave son! I salute to your father Bryan Nichols...a soldier, a father,a husband, and a child of God. May Bryan Nichols rest in peace, and while he's gone, he's never forgotten.

August 11, 2011 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kolawole Ajao

A very nice post and convey what is the truth of the whole matter.
      Thank you, Andrea.