Firefight at COP Pirtle King
June 29th, 2011

Photos: Firefight in Kunar

CNN's Tommy Evans grabbed these photos as a mortars and RPGs pound a the U.S. Combat Outpost Pirtle King in Afghanistan near the Pakistan border.

MORE: Watch video of the attack

Post by:
Filed under: Troops
  1. +

Punitive Articles of the UCMJ Article 85—Desertion

“(a) Any member of the armed forces who—

(1) without authority goes or remains absent from his unit, organization, or place of duty with intent to remain away therefrom permanently;

(2) quits his unit, organization, or place of duty with intent to avoid hazardous duty or to shirk important service; or

(c) Any person found guilty of desertion or attempt to desert shall be punished, if the offense is committed in time of war, by death or such other punishment as a court-martial may direct, but if the desertion or attempt to desert occurs at any other time, by such punishment, other than death, as a court-martial may direct.”

July 10, 2011 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  2. +

my post was not merely an "allegation."
    The Con sti tu tion of the United States of America, Article III, Section 3:

Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying war against them, or in adhering to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort. No person shall be convicted of treason unless on the testimony of two witnesses to the same overt act, or on confession in open court.

The Congress shall have power to declare the punishment of treason, but no attainder of treason shall work corruption of blood, or forfeiture except during the life of the person attainted.

July 10, 2011 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
    • +

Aid and Comfort, Legal definition:

To render assistance or counsel. Any act that deliberately strengthens or tends to strengthen enemies of the United States, or that weakens or tends to weaken the power of the United States to resist and attack such enemies is characterized as aid and comfort.

July 10, 2011 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
    • salerno

+ – Idiot, warmongers are traitors weakening the USA. On the contrary I post the truth to strenghten the USA and to enlighten the true direction. USA had no enemies in Afghanistan, but the true traitors artificially created those enemies in order to defend a foreign country, not the US. I hope the responsibles for traison will be prosecuited to the full extent of the law.

July 10, 2011 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
    • +

interesting......I am an idiot for quoting the con sti tu tion and providing the legal definition of aid and comfort.

July 10, 2011 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
      • +

but i realize trolls post this way if only to have the last word, a cheap, hollow "victory." Watch, there will be another post after this in an adolescent need for that "last word."

July 10, 2011 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • salerno

I reply when needed. For istance, I do not called you idiot because you quoted the con sti tu tion, or provided definition, but for your failure to understand that I am fully supporting the true interests of USA. Sometimes it is difficoult to do so without offending someone. Wars in Iraq-Afghanistan are deleterious for USA, like the Vietnam or Kosovo.
      On the other side Ronald Reagan policy was succesful as he did not waste money to move useless wars, but to strenghten research and technology, and the satellite technology was a great success. He increased US debt, but only temporarily, paving the way for the greatest economical espansion in the 1982-2000.

July 10, 2011 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Hermanson stepmother of soldier in video)

TO ALL OUR BELOVED SONS AND DAUGHTERS OF OUR USA MILITARY-GOD SPEED AND i BOW TO YOU. YOU ARE HEROES BUT TO THE CAMEL MOLESTERS SUCH AS SALERNO, AND A FEW OTHER PIGS AND MAGGOTS WHOSE BRAINS DIDN'T DEVELOP BEYOND THAT OF A FLEA'S ASS-THEY ARE TRAITORS, AND DESERVE TO BE PLACED IN FRONT OF THE LINE OF FIRE OF OUR FIGHTING MEN AND WOMEN. TO THE ONES WHO ARE CONDEMNING ISRAEL- I WOULD SUGGEST THEY DO A REFERENCE CHECK JUST TO FIND OUT WHO GOD'S CHOSEN PEOPLE ARE. JUST A QUESTION-–WHO DID MOSES LEAD OUT OF EGYPT FROM BONDAGE? WHO HAS EVER STOOD WHEN THEY ATTEMPT TO DESTROY GOD'S CHOSEN PEOPLE? I SAW SEVERAL COMMEMTS REGARDING ISRAEL BEING THE TRAITORS--WELL SIR OR LADY-READ YOUR BIBLE AND I THINK YOU WILL GET A TRUE PICTURE OF WHAT THEY MEAN TO GOD. AS FOR SALERNO I AM A TRUE SOUTHERNER AND HAVE A VERY STRONG GEORGIA SOUTHERN DIALECT, i CAN JUST SEE IT ALL NOW WHEN YOU DIE AND GO TO HELL BECAUSE IF SATAN IS SOUTHERN, HE'S GONNA SAY, "WELCOME TO HELL YA'LL! JUST MAKE YA'LLS LITTLE OLE SELVES RIGHT AT HOME NOW-CAUSE IN JEST A MINUTE I'M GONNA SET YOUR LITTLE OLE ASSES ON FIRE!!!

July 8, 2011 at 12:56 am | Report abuse |
    • salerno

Hermanson – You are too much southern for me, even in your grammar. With that grammar I doubt you can be qualified to enter even in the hell. You are below human level.

July 8, 2011 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Hermanson stepmother of soldier in video)

SALMON–OOPS IMEANT TO SAY SARDINEO and BUBBA (if the name fits and it sure does–wear it) Why don't you both stand on top of one of those mountain tops and bend over holding a bright red flag? We sure wouldn't want one of our boys to miss the BULLSEYE!!!
    On second thought--BAR-B-CUE AND SARDINE- PAKISTANI STYLE!!!!! Paint a bullseye on your rear ends then hold up a bright red flag. BE SURE TO WAVE IT NOW !!! ya"ll COME TA SEE US NOW YA HEAH??????

July 4, 2011 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • salerno

I do not go because I am not so stupid like the 4 US-Nato soldiers killed yesterday and prefer to be safe.

July 5, 2011 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
      • Hermanson stepmother of soldier in video)

Salerno AKA Sardineo You Don't go because YOU ARE A TALIBANI COWARD LIKE THE REST OF THE MAGGOTS THAT ARE OVER THERE. YOU INFERIOR PIECE OF NON HUMANITY. I AM SURPRIISED SOMEONE HASN'T MISTAKEN YOU FOR FERTILIZER (YOU KNOW THE STUFF THEY FLUSH DOWN THE TOILET) AND SPREAD YOU ON SOME FIELD OF CORN SOMEWHERE. THAT GOES FOR ANY OF THE REST OF YOU WORMS THAT CONDEMN OUR FIGHTING MEN AND WOMEN WHO ARE PROTECTING YOUR SORRY NO ACCOUNT ASSES WHILE THEY GIVE THEIR LIVES. SURE THEY NEED TO SEND OUR SOLDIERS HOME AND SEND ALL OF YOU DUNG HEADS AS WELL AS A NUMBER OF POLITICIANS TO FIGHT IN THEIR PLACE. HOW MANY OF YOU ARE WILLING TO EXCHANGE PLACES WITH THEM? IF YOU AREN'T WILLING TO EXCHANGE PLACES-THEN GET THE HELL OUT OF THE USA AND SHUT THE F--UP ABOUT OUR FIGHTING MEN AND WOMEN. SALERNO AKA SARDINEO CAUSE YOU SURE SMELL FISHY-GET THE HELL OUT OF THIS COUNTRY AND GO BACK TO THE CAMEL MOLESTERS OF YOUR COUNTRY!!

July 5, 2011 at 7:21 pm | Report abuse |
      • salerno

Stepmother – you are hilarious ! If your son enlisted, it is his problem ! I don't care if he die, as he was not forced to do it.
        I never asked any protection and I never had problems with Taliban or muslims.

July 6, 2011 at 2:48 am | Report abuse |
      • private bowers

sir your remarks are treason against the united states.Be glad your name isnt on here because that is still punishable death you have a problom with the u.s. leave,im sure the family of my brothers and sisters who have died not just in this war but every war this nation has fought would thank you.

July 7, 2011 at 6:30 am | Report abuse |
      • salerno

private – treason is when you act against your country. I just told my opinion.

July 7, 2011 at 7:29 am | Report abuse |
      • +

1. the offense of acting to overthrow one's government or to harm or kill its sovereign.
        2. a violation of allegiance to one's sovereign or to one's state.
        3. the betrayal of a trust or confidence; breach of faith; treachery.

July 9, 2011 at 11:26 pm | Report abuse |
      • salerno

+ – The 3 allegations you posted should be contested to the american president and US military for lieing to the people.
        I am defending the american principle against the american traitors.

July 10, 2011 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
  5. Marcia

And further more, Dan someone of your "intelligence" should have recognized that I said nothing at all about "glorifying this obnoxious war" IT IS MORE THAN OBNOXIOUS you have no idea my political views, I post something about loving my grandson and you automatically take it that I am some advocate of keeping Americans in harm's way. We need help from our military here.

July 2, 2011 at 7:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • salerno

We need nothing from the military in Afghanistan, but I understand that you want your grandson back.

July 3, 2011 at 6:21 am | Report abuse |
      • Marcia

"Here" means "here" USA

July 4, 2011 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  6. Dindy

MAY WE RAISE THE NAME OF GOD MOST HIGH TO CHASE THE DARKNESS AWAY!!!!!

July 2, 2011 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
  7. Dindy

Marcia & Sharon....praising God for them everyday who serve far away from their home !!

July 2, 2011 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
    • Dan from Detroit, MI

Two more broads trying to glorify this obnoxious war. How old this gets!!! They ought to know that we have no right to be there if they were of first rate intelligence!

July 2, 2011 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
      • Mama Bear - Shining Star's Mom

How dare you belittle the family members for expressing their support and love of their soldiers? I don't really give two craps whether you believe in this war or not. I notice that you DO live under the blanket of protection and freedom that our soldiers provide but are hypocritical enough to criticize them for doing their job. I'd suggest that since you obviously don't stand behind them, that you stand in front of them instead It's quite apparent that there isn't really any question about Marcia or Sharon's intelligence, however there is serious doubt about yours.

July 8, 2011 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
      • salerno

Mama – soldiers are not protecting our freedom in Afghanistan. Freedom is not threatened by anyone if not by the military itself. We did not ask any protection and your claim is totally abusive.

July 11, 2011 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
  8. Sharon Grassi

My son is the infantryman/medic smoking the cigarette after saving another infantryman. We are all so proud of him. Way to go Derek!
    To those who don't like our men & women in harms way:
    US soldier/marine/airman = a Peace Corps volunteer + combat training + permission to use that training to eliminate evil.
    Bothe have a desire to change the lives of those who are in need but our military does it while putting themselves in harms way.

July 2, 2011 at 8:39 am | Report abuse |
    • salerno

Sharon – Tell these stupidities to somone else. Look to Iraq and tell me what you have done for the people in need.

July 2, 2011 at 8:53 am | Report abuse |
      • Sharon Grassi

Salerno,
        My arguments for or against our military involvement are saved for intelligent debate, which I see from previous posts will not be happening with you. As the saying goes: "When you fight with a pig you both get dirty – but the pig likes it"
        I hope you never need my son's protection. God Bless!

July 2, 2011 at 9:16 am | Report abuse |
      • BUBBA--ALABAMA STYLE!!!

Come on Sharon, anybody can "fight bravely" when they have all the odds in their favor. The NATO forces get to hide behind their military hardware whereas the Taliban cannot. It doesn't appear to be very fair to me. Enough is enough.

July 2, 2011 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
    • salerno

But for your enemies you are the pigs.

July 2, 2011 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
      • Sharon

Guess this verifies my 1st comment about the lack of intelligent debate. The pig in my comment was you Salerno, not the Taliban. Just laughing here at the comments. You boys look like you have nothing better to do than rank on old ladies and patriotic Americans. I'm picturing acne covered geeks in mommies basement :o) Get a life!

July 5, 2011 at 10:08 am | Report abuse |
      • salerno

Sharon – When I stated "for your enemies you are the pig", I was meaning that you, sharon, are the pig.

July 6, 2011 at 2:52 am | Report abuse |
    • Kristina

Ms. Grassi,
      I have had the honor of conversing with your son recently while he has been deployed. I want you to know you raised an amazing man, and I thank you for giving him to our country. As the sister of one fallen soldier and another who just returned from the Kunar Province, I understand the sacrifices families make during deployment, and it's my understanding that this is "Tope's" third deployment. You have my utmost respect for being able to go through all three. God bless you, your family, and our troops.

-Kristina

July 16, 2011 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Marcia

My grandson, my only grandchild, my shining star is in the video at Pirtle King. My heart and prayers are with the soldiers and their families and loved ones. RB, thank you for the background on the naming of Pirtle King. No, they will not be forgotten. Jack, your brother, Bonnie, your son-in-law.....I keep them in my heart.

July 1, 2011 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dan from Detroit, MI

Did it ever occur to you Marcia, that the Afghan people do not want foreign rule and never did? We need to get out of there as soon as possible just like the Russians did back in 1989 if need be!!!

July 2, 2011 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
      • Marcia

Dan, It"occurs" to me every minute if every day. Politically, I do NOT thnk we should be there and never have! I am and yes, I am quite certain that the Afghans do not want us there...Nonetheless, he IS MY GRANDSON and I love HIM, it was his choice..you have NO idea how hard we tried to convice him that this was not a a choice to make.
        Families still cherish thier loved ones there, even if we do not agree with why they are there

July 2, 2011 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Marcia

My grandson, my only granchild, my shining star is in the video at Pirtle King. My heart and prayers are with all soldiers,families and loved ones of the soldiers. RB thank you for the background on the naming of Pirtle King. No, they will not be forgotten. Jack, your brother and Bonnie your son-in-law...I will keep them in my hearrt

July 1, 2011 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
  11. RB

I was apart of Big Red 1. We named Pertil King after Sgt Pirtle and Spc King. These men were killed when Barli Alie was over-ran on May 1st 2008. They will never be forgotten.

-6/4 CAV
    PREPARED AND LOYAL

June 30, 2011 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Jack

the man in the back is my brother... please pray for them and keep in mind that the U.S. troops are fighting for THIER and OUR freedom. please keep that in mind this 4th of July and support them.. thank you

June 30, 2011 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dindy

Jack....praising God for them . May God be with them always!!

July 2, 2011 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
  13. Bonny Million

I see my son in law, Grizzle, in your videos at Pirtle King!!! Even more frightening to witness what he and his soldiers are enduring for our freedom!! God Bless Them All!!

June 30, 2011 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
  14. pamiri

terrorist is terrorist everywhere no different they are, all of them are the killer of people, no matter if they are ismlam or belong to other relegions , terrorist is terrorist,

from kabul

June 30, 2011 at 5:57 am | Report abuse |
    • Dindy

Good post pamiri

July 2, 2011 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
  15. Arturo

Why is carnage, and slaugher of innocents, condoned.
    When a suicide bomber takes his or her's life!
    Have they become synthesised, to believe, idioly, supersede humanity, I thought humanity should supercede idiology we will not survive until we realise what is important. But than, ...

June 30, 2011 at 3:49 am | Report abuse |
  16. Cory

"One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter" – Gerald Seymour (not Ronald Reagan)

So, while I dont agree with nor support what Salerno said, the word "terrorist" means something different to everyone. To you, it may be the men and women taking up arms in the middle east trying to kill members of the armed forces. To me, it is someone who wishes to do harm to my country because their ideology is against the freedoms we in uniform fight to protect. However, if you look at it from viewpoint on a radicalized muslim, wouldnt a terrorist be the men and women who represent everything you are against that, in your eyes, invaded your country and are attempting to make it more like their own?

June 30, 2011 at 3:49 am | Report abuse |
  17. Arturo

I respect your coment and I pray that you will overcome the treachery, that become your country!
    I pray that peace and justice will be achieved in my lifetime

June 30, 2011 at 3:36 am | Report abuse |
  18. Arturo

Karsi's corupped leadership/ka Iran's puppet @ the expense of the USA! Has anyone proven why he got those millions of dollars from Iran who is he really serving?
    Maybe he's the ultimate con-man, playing both sides for his own benefit! If he is sure he can negotiate with the Taliben, wake up you Idiot! You got your response on the attack on the hotel.
    You can go to Disneyland, and keep dreaming till you are all dead!
    Sorry I can't think of anything good coming from so much hate!

June 30, 2011 at 2:57 am | Report abuse |
    • pamiri

Karzai is a Taliban and he gets supports from Paksitan and Iran, etc directly and indirectly and always he is trying to show that northern alliance get support of Iran , but infact they do not get any support of Iran and other countries, they are the brave sons of this country, can defeat Taliban Pakistan and Iran, the time is coming that Karzai has to be send udner the investigation by the parliment ( house of the people ) for what he is doing now or in the past, he is the real criminal against the people and country of AFghanistan and international forces too,

from kabul

June 30, 2011 at 3:14 am | Report abuse |
  19. pamiri

Base on what actions happen in Kabul and in around the country, it shows the insurgents (Taliban) has strong hold in Afghan government by their supports and lobbies at high positions. And on the other hand the weak leadership by ( Karzai) and his interested angels to Taliban and Pakistan have made the situation like now, and it requires reform in Afghan government to expel those, who has link with Taliban in one or the other way.

Best regards,
    from Kabul

June 30, 2011 at 1:23 am | Report abuse |
  20. Karl

R u Paki..t? Saleeno

June 30, 2011 at 12:47 am | Report abuse |
    • salerno

No, I am not Paki, but it is not the point.

June 30, 2011 at 8:52 am | Report abuse |
  21. USMCAmmoOki

If anyone is interested in more of this sort of thing, watch Generation Kill. It was made based on reports done by a journalist embedded in a marine unit for a combat deployment in iraq. It's the most realistic depiction of a combat unit we've ever seen.

June 29, 2011 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Martina

I pray for all the Soldiers on the Fronts and i hope,they will come home all sound and healthy! I do my Salut to all them! God protect them!

June 29, 2011 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  23. army wife!!

salerno....do us all a favor and suck it!!!

June 29, 2011 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |
  24. salerno

Soldiers are the terrorists. I support those defending their country and fighting inside its borders.

June 29, 2011 at 7:30 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Marlene

Those "Talibans" are probably Pakistanis or foreigners who joined alQaeda. The real Afghans are already sided with the Americans, so you're nothing but a cowardly supporter of terrorist hiding behind the screen.

June 29, 2011 at 9:08 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Nickell

You rat

June 29, 2011 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Karl

Salermo . go back where you came from ?

June 30, 2011 at 12:22 am | Report abuse |
  28. wendell

Troll

June 30, 2011 at 6:30 am | Report abuse |
  29. kunar soldier

funny you say that, because i've been in that area, and fought alongside the locals. the majority of fighters there come from pakistan, and everyone in the area hates them and the country they come from.

June 30, 2011 at 8:16 am | Report abuse |
  30. salerno

Marlene – you are totally wrong and completely miss the point. The real Afghans are against american occupation even if they are anti-Taliban, like the RAWA (Revolutionary Afghan Women Association) or even some tajik (non-Pashtun).
    There are no Pakistani in Afghanistan , but afghan refugees in Pakistan trying to escape from your aggression.
    They are not terrorists, but people heroically defending their country. US military are the terrorists killing civilians.

July 1, 2011 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  31. salerno

Shortage of good leaders ? It is impossible to have a leader in Afghanistan as a central government western style is unsuitable for that people. Corruption is the result of aamerican invasion, and their alliance with the criminal part of the afghan society.

July 11, 2011 at 5:11 am | Report abuse |
  32. BUBBA--ALABAMA STYLE!!!

Come on army wfe!!, Could you kindly cut the Tea Party lingo out? It has no place here!!!

July 2, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Bilal

you are right in some aspect but the thing is that the Afghans are in shortage of good leaders who could convince the people that we are moving in right path as it appeared Karzai is unsuitable character for the post that he is doing. thousand promises in elimination of corruption but it goes higher and higher
    and Afghans are always stay beside US if Pakistan let it happen