June 28th, 2011

In the deadly valley of Kunar

Kunar, Afghanistan — Kunar province, on Afghanistan's eastern border, is as alluring to outsiders as it is unwelcoming.

It's a key transit route for militants from Pakistan. But it's also been the scene of some of the fiercest fighting for U.S. troops in the 10-year war.

In a tiny outpost, Pirtle King, troops test mortars against an insurgency that is rarely seen but frequently attacks from all sides.

And further south, the road between Pirtle King and the next city is almost impassable because of the insurgency.

It was here that a U.S. unit experienced its worst losses: a roadside bomb killed four soldiers.

"When I walked up to it there was a pair of legs leaned out crossed over that were hanging out of one of the doors," remembers Lt. Ryan Petersen, with the 2nd Battalion, 27th Infantry. "That's always stuck with me. ... If I ever think about it at night or ever dream about it, that's the first thing that comes into my head."

Some here say they're glad that the U.S. now has a clear timetable for departure and are glad it's ending.

"My gut feeling now is that it is good. That it is time to be done," Petersen says. "I think that we've done as much as we can. We've done what we've done here and it's time to be done."

A few days after the losses here, the unit dropped $3 million in bombs in just 24 hours.

That stopped the attacks — for five days.

Post by:
Filed under: Taliban • Troops
  1. Crazy-K

NEC-ASPERA-TERRENT

October 15, 2011 at 8:21 am | Report abuse |
  2. RixNoifeRow

I like the site here. I will for sure bookmark this!

July 5, 2011 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Jeremy

I have an idea. Bring home all of the troops and put them on the Mexico border. Let's stop the illegal immagrants and drug cartels. It's time to protect our country.

July 4, 2011 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |
  4. pamiri

Base on what actions happen in Kabul and in around the country, it shows the insurgents (Taliban) has strong hold in Afghan government by their supports and lobbies at high positions. And on the other hand the weak leadership by ( Karzai) and his interested angels to Taliban and Pakistan have made the situation like now, and it requires reform in Afghan government to expel those, who has link with Taliban in one or the other way.

Best regards,
    from Kabul

June 30, 2011 at 1:24 am | Report abuse |
    • salerno

There is no stronghold, but many Afghans are tired of US occupation and want a deal with the Taliban.

July 3, 2011 at 6:25 am | Report abuse |
  5. Jason

NO FEAR!!

June 29, 2011 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Alethea Skinner

UNTIL THAT DAY COMES when you all can come home, 2/27 Wolfhounds keep holding it down. Stay focused. And to my own Wolfhound, A-DAWG, I say the words of a song you know: “After you have done all you can—you just STAND!”
    Those who love The Wolfhounds are here. NOT BUDGING a fraction of an inch. NO FEAR ON EARTH.

June 29, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

Thank you Mrs. Skinner for your son's service. My brother in law is there with your son. May God bless all of them.

July 19, 2011 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Alethea Skinner

Now. Just in case one of you Wolfhounds reads all of this squabbling to end NOTHING, I want to talk to you. STAND STRONG, WOLFHOUNDS! You didn't start this war. In fact, some of you were children when it began, so, as it goes with war, you may not even be the ones who end it.
    While you are in it, however, KNOW THIS- You are fiercely loved and treasured. Those who love you support you and appreciate your commitment to doing the job with which you are tasked. We appreciate the sacrifices you are making because of that commitment

June 29, 2011 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Alethea Skinner

Hey!!! ALL OF YOU POSTING ON HERE. These are MY WOLFHOUNDS! I am the mom of one of THESE soldiers in this blog. So, let me say this. Nothing you can post on this blog about each other, the President, past wars-NOTHING you write will end this madness.
    Yes, I guess it helps to just get stuff off of your chest but RIGHT HERE????? GOOD GRIEF. The post is about the loss of five precious Wolfhounds. MY Wolfies. So, give them a break.

June 29, 2011 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  9. ranger1508

I've got your Allah Akbar right here. Secret weapon? Like throwing acid in a little girl's face, or detonating a car bomb amongst women and children. Oh yeh, Allah is real proud of what you clowns are doing in his name.

June 29, 2011 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • salerno

You are confused. Americans are killing women and children.

June 29, 2011 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • .

a classic sidestep by our troll. US does not fight with acid and car bombs among civilians.

the troll always twists and perverts the truth to make US military ops look like the taliban.

June 29, 2011 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • salerno

If the US used all the military committing suicide as suicide bombers, they could win the war. There is no difference betwen car bombs and missiles other than the cost and the Taliban cannot pay it, but nonetheless their bombs are quite effective .

June 29, 2011 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • pamiri

these actions as you mentioned, taking place by wild animals Taliban Alqaeda not by all other people who live in Afghanistan , they are very good people, just Taliban do bad actions to defame the name of Islam and Alah Akbar means the god is great , which is true , but the god never says to kill anyone, god says to respect everyone if they are muslim or no,

this is wild Taliban that do such action,

from Kabul

June 30, 2011 at 3:20 am | Report abuse |
    • salerno

Pamiri – there are some bad people inside the Taliban like inside the non Taliban. This is not the point. The point is that the war is making you all animals. It is horrible when children are forced to be suicide bombers, but most of the time they are older.

June 30, 2011 at 8:57 am | Report abuse |
  10. thebut

I have read most of the posts on here and honestly who is right or wrong in this war is a mute point this far into the game. Sadly, we have lost far too many our men and women for a cause that no one even knows if it is worth the cost to our country and our people. With that said, to the contractor, I worked with quite a few contractors during my tour on a FOB in Afghan, and they were all great guys. But them being great guys and I am sure most are, that does justify one single loss of even one of our service members. In addition, for anyone to think that this war is anything but a ridiculous blank check for each and every American company involved has not been in country. This war if anything is a contractors dream, there are more dollars per day wasted between Iraq, Afghan, and the supporting bases! Said money could easily be brought back home and help our ailing country restoring America to what it used to be. If I learned anything in Afghanistan, I learned that they are a very stubborn culture and the word no doesn't seem to exist in their vocabulary. With that in mind, I honestly do not see an end to this without us pulling out of their country and letting them do their thing

June 29, 2011 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  11. 2timeveteran-deployedagain

i dont understand the politics behind all of this and i wont try to pretend to. what i do know and understand is afghanistan, and the soldiers to the left and right of me. if you ask most privates why they are here, they will probably tell you they dont know. hell, sometimes i have to wonder that myself. standing this place up on its own two feet is the official answer. to me, that seems almost impossible. regardless of why we are really here i take great pride in making sure my soldiers are well trained and taken care of. because to me, day in and day out, getting these guys home safe is all that matters. we are here, and thats all there is to it. we all signed the same contract so whether we believe in the cause or not, we rely on each other. the soldier must care about his fellow soldiers above all things. and that brings me to my point. it would be nice to see the general public embrace that frame of mind and stop confusing the political agenda with the mindset of the soldier on the front lines. we serve the people of the united states and we go where we are sent. it isnt up to us. try to support the soldiers, even if you dont support the war.

June 29, 2011 at 3:11 am | Report abuse |

Guys I know you are frustrated and there are a lot of us who want this to end, but it has to been the right way. Sacrificing liberty and peace for temporary safety is not the answer. I'm active duty Army with 16 years of service and yes I would like the war to end, but at what price? So that we have to go back over there in five years?

I do disagree with the earlier post from a contracted civilian employee. I'm not sure what company you work for sir, but you're not helping your cause. I have absolutely no issue with any of those companies you mentioned and we the military appreciate the support that you give us in the field. I'm sure there is some validity to your statement that if the war ends the loss of DOD contract jobs will affect the job market, but I do not believe the impact will be that great. That's the reason you get paid so much because you are less than 1% if Americans who deploys as a civilian. The younger Servicemembers do not understand what you bring to the fight and that without you manpower would significanlty be affected having to cover down on task that DOD contractors manage. Thanks for your service.

For the last poster. Partner there are people who love and care about you. They understand how you feel and what drives you to fight through everyday deployed. I love Soldiers and always will support you to the death. Keep your head up and bring your folks home. AATW.

June 29, 2011 at 7:54 am | Report abuse |
  12. Leather Neck

Low grade nuke Afghanistan and Pakistan after the last troop leaves. Problem solved. I will dance in the streets like they did on 9/11

June 28, 2011 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dan from Detroit, MI

You're a shining example of just what a sick society that we're living in, Leather Neck. No wonder we have such a high rate of crime here in America. Then again, I'm sorry but I don't like sociopaths no matter how patiotic they sound!

June 29, 2011 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
      • .

and you don't get it that YOU are an example of (words fail me here) a ........... somebody fill in the blank........

June 29, 2011 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Contractor

And where do you all propose to employ the 96,000 + soldiers, sailors, marines & airmen, not to mention the 90,000 contractors supporting them, when we come home? That's just for Afghanistan. Without war, the unemployment situation at home would be much worse. Say good-bye to General Dynamics, Raytheon, ITT, DynCorp, LockheedMartin, L3, and about a dozen other companies. Close to an additional 1/2 million folks unemployed. I suppose that would make some happy, or at least give them something else to complain about. Too much outsourcing from American companies. Seems like only the defense contractors understand where we have been, what we can do, and know what our time & training is worth. Maybe I'll start looking at the want ads - plenty of new gigs popping up in LIBYA! Oh, and our friend Mr Obama gave the Chair Force $300 million to be spent on three separate bases here in Af-crap-istan for improvements, reinforcements, and additional infrastructure. Are you all SURE we are leaving? I don't see us spending that much and walking away from it, don't kid yourself!

pro peccatis nostris

June 28, 2011 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jason

Contractors are overpaid and for the most part working 4 hours a day so cut that fraud waste and abuse and we can save millions, I'm not saying cut the contractor just the waste.

June 28, 2011 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
      • Contractor

I can't stand that - there are a few who wander around doing nothing! Blast them, they give us a bad name. The pay is more moderate than it used to be back in '03. But the base pay for knowledge is not a lot; th ebonuses for harsh duty and sub-standard living conditions (next to an open air sewage pond, for example), is what boots the income. Most do a year, then bail.

June 28, 2011 at 11:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • contrator_is_a_mornon

First and foremost couch monkey your a contractor as you say you have not earned the right to knock the air force your commenting on a fraternity you have not entered (the US Military). When you stand the line with a PJ, call in a gunship (which is the only God a grunt can count on every time) and then take a C130 out of country after being payed crap for 18 months without complaining then just maybe you can have an opinion. But your weak and spineless thats why my friends so you will never know what a Man is. Second if you loose your job and my brothers and sisters stop getting tore up then thats an unemployment statistic that I can deal with. Whether the war is right or wrong is an endless debate but your stupidity is not in doubt.

June 28, 2011 at 10:27 pm | Report abuse |
      • Contractor

First of all, learn to spell. Second, how would you know my qualifications? My friends and I have bled, and in some case died, in crap-places like Somalia, Kenya, Kosovo, Croatia, Bosnia, Congo, Nigeria, Iraq & now here in the 'stan. So go blow. Where was the Air Farce during the 2nd Gulf War?? The NAVY had to fly extra missions because the morons (correct spelling) ran out of fuel. Sad, very sad indeed.

I earned the right to say what I think. I am still on the ground, and I still see my mates and brothers come back torn up on a daily basis. We are here to make sure they can go out there and do their jobs. I put in my 10 years. I worked for free, and gave what I could. Now it's my turn to make a few bucks, and ensure the safety of my family.

Instead of complaining about those of us making some real money, why not tag along? How many confirmed kills do you have? How close to a man have you been when you have taken his life??

Whatever dude. Why not translate the latin - might give you a clue.

June 28, 2011 at 11:23 pm | Report abuse |
      • contrator_is_a_mornon

Your a joke (is that spelling correct)? Hold your head up high chase that buck tough guy.

June 29, 2011 at 12:11 am | Report abuse |
    • MA DUCE

all u that complain about goin home and not havin a job when we finally leave this place. you can stay over here and get and be fobbits all you want so until u go outside the wire and actually do the legwork of protecting the people on the bases you have no room to speak!!!

June 29, 2011 at 8:20 am | Report abuse |
      • salerno

Protecting people ??? You are not protecting anyone.

July 2, 2011 at 5:05 am | Report abuse |
  14. baconeater

this war is garbage...it's morphed into a projection of power and pride, and geopolitics...soldiers die to prop up a weak and corrupt afghan govt....soldiers are just pawns, used and thrown away, no way I would volunteer my life for some idiotic politician to gamble with it....we need to keep it to special forces, CIA and drone attacks.....building up a dump of a country while ours goes down the drain is stupid, but that is whats going on....stop waving your flags blindly and actually open your eyes to see whats happening..

June 28, 2011 at 8:22 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Bud Tree Jr.

Can the person who moderates this web page do something about the jerk who keeps on posting these nasty pictures here? They have no place here and are distracting from our discussions. Please!!!

June 28, 2011 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Smokey

In the 80s they called Afghanistan the "bear trap" – the Soviets went in and couldn't get out, then with the help of Pakistan and the arab states we pinned them there until by the time they left, their already weak economic situation had been dealt a crippling blow. Less than five years after the Soviets left Afghanistan, there was no longer anything called the Soviet Union.

Al-Qaeda's leaders are on record stating that this was their intention and goal in perpetrating 9/11 – it was for no other reason than to draw out America's armed forces into Afghanistan, hold them there, and bleed the American economy until it reached the point where we could no longer carry out operations on the "lands of Islam." Our economy has been more resilient, I think, than expected, and certainly there is no other major power aiding today's mujahedin in the way we aided them against the Soviets. But we have been there much longer than the Soviets were and our society is less accepting of losses than they were. The fate of the Soviet Union could still befall us if we aren't careful. Afghanistan is a dangerous trap. We need to extricate ourselves before it's to late – if it isn't already. Again, the goal of our enemies is not to defeat us militarily or to even kill our soldiers, it is to force us to expend way too much money, time, effort, and resources for way too little gain, damaging our regional and global hegemony. What are our goals? To get out without the whole place falling apart when we do?

June 28, 2011 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hasselhoff

makes sense.

June 29, 2011 at 12:05 am | Report abuse |
    • salerno

Smokey – You understood the situation. USA are vulnerable more economically than militarily, and Taliban know it very well. Anyway they are very happy when they kill the US soldiers or their allies.

June 29, 2011 at 2:05 am | Report abuse |
  17. Dan from Detroit, MI

I get quite nauseated every time I see some right-wing nutjob blog in here in order to glorify this obnoxious war. This war is being fought just so that some American, British and French thugs can enrich themselves and for right-wing politicians to further their political careers.

June 28, 2011 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Eliot

OH, I thought it was for oil...my bad.

June 28, 2011 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • my two cent

dan from DETROIT, i would like to shoot you

June 28, 2011 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
      • .

understandable though your frustration is, the urge (and means) to shoot someone is most of the problem around the world. use Freedom of Speech rather that violence to set the standard for conflict resolution and all the rest that usually lead to blow a d bullets. Sometime you just have to walk away.

June 29, 2011 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |
  18. Rebecca

After viewing the comments and thinking of how long this was has been and seeing my son who just join the army January 2011. He told me yesterday that it isn't official yet, but his unit is going to be deployed to Afghanistan in January 2012. I am disheartned by this and wish that this can end soon. My hearts and prayers goes out to every American Soldier who is stationed there and in other places where Americans are so hated. I agree that if they want the Ameircans out of their country, they need to act like it. We are only dreaming when we think that everyone else outside of the US will embrace our way of life and live chaos free. Thank God we do not have to wake up to motar attacks everyday or worry about someone in a supermarket is going to blow us up there or out in public at a restaurant. May our troops return home safe and sound and for the ones who has lost their lives. God bless and rest in peace!

June 28, 2011 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rebecca

Sorry, I typed too fast and typed repetive characters!

June 28, 2011 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Facts

Afghanistan needs to threaten Pakistan with a declaration of war. The majority of Afghanistan's fight is coming from Pakistan. The rest is coming from Iran. Afghanistan is going to have to address both of these neighbors if it wants peace and to escape its decades of war.

June 28, 2011 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ilovenyc

We need to start looking at situations from others perpective also. People at the other end are dying too and they also have loved ones just like people here. What would you do if another country takes over part of USA and kill people dear to you. You will pick up a gun also and fight them. That is what is going on in Afghanistan. Any insurgency with local grass root support can never be crushed by outsiders ever!

June 28, 2011 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Teeninchee

Rebecca, this particular incident probably happened to a unit my son is connected with–it's too familiar. As a soldier's mom, I feel what you are feeling now (my son is 10 years in) Being in theater now, we pray that the casualties will be few and our troops will return home body, soul, spirit, mind intact. There are no guarantees. Love your soldier fiercely, guard every second of every minute, and join us in praying for an end to conflict. In the meantime, it sucks.

June 29, 2011 at 1:11 am | Report abuse |
  19. Kerry Bedford, TX

The insurgents are either VERY stupid or they want the US to stay in Afghanistan. If they would lay low we could leave quietly, but all this activity only reinforces the need for the US military presents and assures that the politicians and public will see the need. I have to wonder if their child like minds need enhanced thinking or is this war going to continue forever because they don't know what they are doing? Don't fight, we leave, what is wrong with you people, it's not rocket science, just logic?

June 28, 2011 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • salerno

No – It is they fight and you leave.

June 28, 2011 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
      • Dan from Chicago, IL

No salerno, they haven't gotten yet what they deserve and what a stupid question, but with these kind of people who even put explosives on themselves and believe their going to heaven must love war and boy do they have BIG problems!

June 28, 2011 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
      • salerno

They have not got what you think they deserve as they are true fighters and US military is composed by cowards ubnable to face the enemy. They make war with the people and peace with the crimiunals.

June 29, 2011 at 1:59 am | Report abuse |
      • Dan from Chicago, IL

salerno your brain is incomprehensible, i AM answering your post below. It is the US and coalition forces that haven't got what they deserve yet and you WILL be suprized when they do! Also the criminals are those who torture and kill men, women and children because they THINK they know what's most important to GOD! YES IT IS THE ISLAMIC FUNDAMENTALISTS WHO WILL PAY IN THE END!!!

June 29, 2011 at 7:06 am | Report abuse |
      • salerno

Islamic fondamentalism is a reaction to western terrorism.

June 29, 2011 at 8:55 am | Report abuse |
      • .

June 29, 2011 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
      • salerno

your link is just falsification and propaganda.

June 29, 2011 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
      • .

you just like to have the last word and it is always a autonomic disparagement. (autonomic on purpose, as in "functioning largely below the level of consciousness")

he will post here again if only to have the last word while trying to assume a pseudo authoritative role.

June 29, 2011 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
      • Dan from Chicago, IL

no your right .. And this link also shows the falsification of the prophet Mohammad as the spirit of truth when Islam proclaims that their is only one version of the Koran when in fact proven by this link and Mohammad himself there were many! Also as a Faith, Islam is in no way close to the Holy Spirit with the exception of mercy and forgiveness because Jesus, where we receive the Holy Spirit was only full of love and compassion not conquering through hate and killing!

June 29, 2011 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
      • salerno

Dan – you should add "like the americans" after the phrase "Jesus ... not conquering through hate and killing".
        The Quran is one. False versions are worthless. There are also false bibles and false gospels.

June 29, 2011 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
      • Dan from Chicago, IL

Where did we conquer and who do we hate? LOOK AT YOURSELF!

June 29, 2011 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mortimus

Al-Qaeda would love for the US to stay in Afghanistan; that was bin laden's master plan; attack the US on their soil, have the US counterreact and flood afghanistan with troops, where they locals with some foreign help could bleed the american empire dry over the long run.

bin laden's whole calculus revolves around the idea that he can't do anything in the muslim world without a weak america; so he draws them into a useless, expensive fight, where they deplete themselves economically, militarily politically, thus making them weak, thus forcing them to retreat, thus giving his organization room to operate; and this goes for all the other insurgent groups; ilyas kashmiri also had the same idea (he's fighting for kashmir, but can't do anything until he weakens america's hold on the region).

We may have drones in somalia, yemen, libya, afghanistan, pakistan, iraq, etc., but we won't have them there forever; our politicians assume we'll always have the resources to spend on military attacks; the bad guys are betting that we won't.

June 28, 2011 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Sgt. Pepper

Folly just like 'Nam!

June 28, 2011 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • rwdragon86

You are pretty ignorant about "nam" and apparently just as ignorant about how the people in "nam" viewed our assistance compared with Afghanistan. Go cower in your little corner of the world.

June 28, 2011 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Nabun

Well, lets see, if they were not there, then we would not have to worry about a body count, our boys being in danger, and adding billions to our already overstreched budget. But that would make too much sense.

June 28, 2011 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  22. my two cent

the best thing the us can hope for is the israelis starting ww3, then we can move into the mid east and uterly break the people, we have been fighting everyone of those countries since 2003, break the people just like we broke the germans, total warefare, attack the social structure, religion, economy, food, politics and military

June 28, 2011 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nabun

Yes, becuase the world and US can afford a 3rd world war, very well thought out.

June 28, 2011 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
      • my two cent

excuse me nabu but what's not thought out, 30-90 days of killing, all dveeloped peoples converging on the undeveloped, get moscow up in the muslims along with the rest of shanghi 5, nato on the other end, finally unite the world under two banners as it should have been in 1989, put the stupid children in line – what is not thought out on that – the world would basically be under two governments, much closer to one – sounds like quite an advance in mankind if you ask me

June 28, 2011 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • WWIII

China will lose vs Vietnam.

June 28, 2011 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Frank

Get these Men out of there; the War can't be won. This whole mess is a fool's errand. The whole Middle East is not worth one American life + America is bankrupt and can no longer afford to have troops there. I feel deeply for these Men as when they return no one will ever remember them or what they did there and the VA will just give them the "finger". They will wind up wondering the streets sick with PTSD and be the next generation of hobos like their brothers from Vietnam. The whole mess makes me sick...............

June 28, 2011 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • salerno

They deserved what they got. Do you like the war ? it's your problem !

June 28, 2011 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ilovenyc

First thing Ahghanistan is not in Middle East.

June 28, 2011 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
      • Eliot

Thank you.

June 28, 2011 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
  24. my two cent

obama and the intel community have brought a huge blow to al qaeda, bin laden's compund obviously led to some high value targets, how many heads have been cut off the top layer, al qaeda is just one of the threats we now face, that gand is now just like the crips – a decentralized gang network, pakistan is not even worth the trouble now, the taliban were a threat because they were harboring al qaeda but now that doesn't even matter, who cares about what government afghanistan has, just make sure to kill the jihads where they happen to be

June 28, 2011 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Army wife

i love you sweetheart, come home safe and sound to me. We miss you. Drop as many bombs a day as it takes to bring you all home. We love every single one of you.
    Love
    your wolfhound family <3

June 28, 2011 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dan from Detroit, MI

Don't you think it's about time that this obscene carnage stopped? Their are people over there being needlessly slaughtered day after day just for the benefit of a few wealthy thugs in Washington so that they can enrich themselves. All I want to say is that there is absolutely no glory in this obnoxious war!!!

June 28, 2011 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  26. my two cent

the cia and state department are the key to the war on terror, we need to get into the schools, we need to socialize the people, we need to change their values, and we need to track down the jihads at the coffee shops, follow them to their little gang houses with 20 all males and we need to exterminate them

June 28, 2011 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Andrew Lubin

Another sociopathic warmonger here. These creeps keep on pouring out of the woodwork like roaches. No wonder they call ours a sick society!!!

June 29, 2011 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  27. chris

What they don't tell you is those "$3 million in bombs" killed so many of the death worshippers that it was worth every penny because each one that dies is one of you opinionative fools who won't be flown into a building. Just say thank you and get a life

June 28, 2011 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • my two cent

agreed but the death worshipers come from saudi arabia, pakistan is just the front where we are fighting, saudi arabia is where we need to start murdering people

June 28, 2011 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • salerno

Idiot, it was a road side bomb that killed 4 US soldiers, not an army ! They shoot on anger without any clue !
      Keep going on with your dreams. If those bombs were effective after 10 years the enemy should be destroyed, but it is not the case.

June 28, 2011 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
      • my two cent

who's side are you on salerno, we are talking about bombing the terrorist not laying ied's on soldiers – i am of the opinion you should be shot my friend

June 28, 2011 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
      • salerno

The bombing was a stupid reply to the IED, of course it was not effective !

June 28, 2011 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
      • .

our resident roll is a taliban supporter who does not want Afghan children to learn to read and write.

June 28, 2011 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse |
      • salerno

. Education in Afghanistan is not an american problem. Education in USA is.

June 29, 2011 at 1:56 am | Report abuse |
    • Nabun

Yes, scorched earth policy, burn and kill every man, woman and child, even if we dont know them, or what they are, Pashtun, muslim, christian, atheist. If they are there they must be evil, even the unborn children. Just burn the whole country, its the american way.

June 28, 2011 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  28. my two cent

i feel bad for the troops, the know where their enemies: chow halls, hospitals, ops center, barracks, rifle ranges and basic training camps are but they can't go kill them – and u can't blame the president although he should be working some treaty or threat out with pakistan iot get substantial attack forces into the wild west (tribal regions), the soldiers will come home soon enough and that region will be a dump, bush is guilty of treason at tora bora, nobody escapes from us air force – especially an army of people, but anyways the war is now going to be gang warefare, 20 spec ops guys taking over the block with ak47's into the third world to take out the jihads

June 28, 2011 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • salerno

Nobody is able to escape from us air force ? Actually they did and did it using a donkey and a motorbike. Don't blame Bush, the US army is composed by incompetent and ridiculouse people.

June 28, 2011 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Carole Clarke

No president is in office long enough to FUBAR a situation globally, thank God. Politicians lie to get elected then can't deliver. Despite getting bin Laden, Osama is not going to be re-elected anymore than Churchill was right after WWII. There's more to it than the wars. We are in debt up to our eyeballs to China which can sink us – we've spent moeny we never had and don't have the time left to earn. Very, very serious. Millions of Latino illegals stream across our southern border and all we have down there is a Dutch boy with maybe two thumbs in the dike. Bring our troops home from central asia and clean house – we can go on from there without the illegals and without any 5th column of jihadists who think they can fool us. Put a Sherman in charge of the clean-out and elect a President who is knowledgable and can do the job without the egotistical prancing around. Forget the wannabees – my vote would go to Bob Gates, he is trusted by all and has done a good job at the Defense Dept. And he's an American before he is anything else.

June 28, 2011 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • salerno

I believe that Obama will not be re-elected, as unemployment is still high as well as the debt for the families, and everybody knows taxes are going to increase. I prefer Ron Paul, but the president is not so important as USA and the world are controlled by 2-3 families.

June 28, 2011 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  30. mejazzbo

These soldiers are winning like Charlie Sheen is winning. Political pawns for politicians who consider the obscurity of winning more important than soldier's lives. There is no such thing as nation building. Afghanistan will go back to it's origins no matter if soldiers leave tomorrow or 5 years from now. The only difference is we will save some US lives and America can start deal with our own massive problems if the government brings them home now. That's what I call winning! Sorry Charlie.

June 28, 2011 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
    • Lin

I agree- you cannot change the spots on a leopard. This is ingrained for centuries, this is their way of life. These people do not understand the freedom to choose. We in turn cannot force our beliefs on others when we have not cleaned our dirty laundry ourselves. We are not the country to be mentoring others; think about it.

June 28, 2011 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
      • Nabun

We should not be the ones to indoctrinate others, you are right. But who are we to cast accusations to an entire civilization. As they say, he who is without sin, let him cast the first stone. They are not like that, and by generalizing, killiing without regard, we are being just like the people we claim to be after.

June 28, 2011 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  31. blabby

The war IS winnable it just takes a while and a lot of money. Okay so we don't have the money to spend right now so lets start cutting stuff, oh wait what is this giant new obama healthcare increase in spending crap how about we get rid of that instead of bringing home 33,000 troops and putting more of our soldiers their at a higher risk of KIA. Their are two ways to win this war and thats stay and keep up the war and establish a government in afghanistan or the other is unchoosable...... annihilation of the indigenous population!

June 28, 2011 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
    • Nabun

Yes that makes a lot of scence, lets take away from American citizens, so we can fight a war in another country that does not have much of a centralized govt. and depends on us for everything. Hmm, so an afghan citizen can get free health care, but a US citizen cannot. BRILLIANT, our economy will be on its way to recovery and the lives of US citizens will be improving shortly. That is the main problem with out country. With statements like that I think we need to build less bombs and more schools, or invest in better teachers and education.

June 28, 2011 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mark

Are you retarted?

June 28, 2011 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Michele G

waiting for our resident liar to "face to face" rebut a soldier directly......

June 28, 2011 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
    • salerno

Generally retired soldiers are a little more open minded than the non retired, especially if they are old and educated.
      Anyway I have never had problem to argue with them.

June 28, 2011 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
      • Eliot

Read a book jack ass. Your comments are so stupid they make OTHER people stupid.

June 28, 2011 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
      • salerno

More then retired they are retard !

June 29, 2011 at 1:54 am | Report abuse |
    • Nabun

iIt does not matter if they are a soldier, or if non soldiers dissagree with a soldier. The main reason this country is so great, is because the armed forces HAVE to answer to civilians. Its what keeps us a democratic republic, that is unless you prefer dictatorships akin to North Korea, Myanmar and Venezuela. Having said that, god bless our men and women in uniform.

June 28, 2011 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Another Retired Soldier

OK, we have captured and hung Saddam Hussein and put a bullet in the head of Osama. Now its time to go and let Afghanistan and Iraq rebuild their country's. Yeah, we still need the oil...

June 28, 2011 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
    • JFast

We need the oil and Iran needs to be taken down.

June 28, 2011 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
      • Another Retired Soldier

Agrees with JFast. On the news this morning it stated that Iran now has missile silos, even showed them loading missiles into them...whats wrong with that picture? Looks like Israel better start building "bigger and better" shelters

June 28, 2011 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
    • David

On the contrary, fellows, the last thing we need is oil. This whole mess in the middle east is ALL because of oil. We need to wean ourselves OFF of oil, not get more of it. Getting more oil is a short-term solution to energy problems with long-term negative effects. You guys are totally missing the point.

June 28, 2011 at 10:36 am | Report abuse |
      • Another Retired Soldier

We (the US) have been talking about "alternative" fuels for years. Everyone knows that with all of the major manufactures of autos lobbying against it, it will NEVER come to fruition, at least not in my lifetime and probably nobodys lifetime who's reading this.

June 28, 2011 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
      • salerno

RetardSoldiers- Wrong- Italy for istance is building distribution pumps for natural gas and there are many cars using methane or propane.

June 28, 2011 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • salerno

Another retired soldier – USA did so after 10 years, after 6500 soldiers killed in Iraq Afghanistan, 30 thousand wounded and the biggest debit in their history. The companies working in Iraq are making no money for the high security costs.
      You got some little oil from the libyan rebels, but David is right. USA needs to invest in Natural gas distribution equipment to use it as fuel instead of gasoline, awaiting in a more distant future the use of solar energy.

June 28, 2011 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
    • Nabun

I agree with Retired Soldier, we need to get out. Let those countries surrounding Iran take care of Iran. Maybe its time Israel, Saudi Arabia, UAE, put thiere differences aside and work together agaisnt a comon enemy.

June 28, 2011 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Retired Soldier

It's time to go. Bush and Obama both screwed this up royally. At least Obama got lucky and killed Osama (did I get that straight...yes I did). Bush's third term (Obama's foreign policy) is not going to yield the results we need either. Sad.

June 28, 2011 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
    • David

How did Obama screw this up? The only thing he could have done differently was schedule a pullout on his first day in office. Had that been the case, though, the Seals would not have gotten bin Laden. I appreciate your post, Retired Soldier, and await your reply. Thanks.

June 28, 2011 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
      • JFast

Obama is nothing but one big screw up. Time for the O to GO!!!!!

June 28, 2011 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
      • David

Okay, JFast, I respect your opinion, but can you support it with any actual evidence? How would you have done things differently? I'd sincerely like to know, but I get the sense you're just spewing vitriol because you hate all things left-of-center.

June 28, 2011 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
  35. john

its called war not GI Joes. War is expensive. Id pay twice that a day to keep america safe. 5 days without an attack is like a lifetime. thats 5 days that noone on that outpost had to die. think about that before you decide to run your mouth about numbers. the only one that counts is the body count and for those 4 days it was zero

June 28, 2011 at 9:40 am | Report abuse |
    • salerno

John – It was zero for 5 days in that locality of the Kunar province. Out of that zone and out of those 5 days other deaths are occurring. It was just an exercise, made in anger and frustration.

June 28, 2011 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
    • Hank

Do the math. That equals $219 million per year to keep anyone from shooting at 1 company of U.S. infantry on 1 small post for 1 year. Still willing to pay TWICE this amount, as you boast? Our infrastructure crumbles around us. Our schools are underfunded. Industry is packing up the whole shop and moving to better pastures. You are an impotent little man screaming at the clouds to stop raining while your children starve at your feet. WAKE UP!

June 28, 2011 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
  36. David

No matter with which American political partisanship you affiliate, the truth is that this war was never "winnable." Foreign occupation is almost impossible since the advent of automatic weapons and compact explosives. The most that could have been hoped for in this endeavor is the death of bin Laden. While this will have little to no real impact on the ability of Al Queda to operate, it's (depressingly unfortunately) the most for which the US can hope. Time to bring EVERYONE home and deal with the elephants in our own room.

June 28, 2011 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
  37. salerno

HaHaHa !! 3 million$ bobmbs stopped the attacks for just 5 days !!! It is 219 millions $ every year just for bombs (not including fuel, soldiers pay and other collateral costs) and just in the kunar province !

June 28, 2011 at 8:08 am | Report abuse |
    • Eliot

If it were your life that was in danger in that ashtray of a country, I suppose you would not have a problem with spending tens of millions to stay alive yet one more day.

June 28, 2011 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • salerno

Eliot – I am not so stupid to put my life in danger ! Do you like the war and the military ? it's your problem !
      Don't cry when you die.

June 29, 2011 at 1:52 am | Report abuse |
      • 2timeveteran

support the troops even if you dont support the war, god knows they support you.

June 29, 2011 at 3:15 am | Report abuse |
      • salerno

2time – No I don't support troops as they are criminals and put my life in danger. Troops are not supporting me, but are doing a dirty job for money.

June 29, 2011 at 8:58 am | Report abuse |
      • .

another twisted comment. YOUR life is not in danger from a US soldier.

June 29, 2011 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
      • salerno

Tell to the people who died 9/11 or in UKL and Spain, after those countries were pushed in the war against Iraq or Afghanistan.

June 29, 2011 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
      • .

your twisted "logic" defies description.......

June 29, 2011 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
      • salerno

You are misusing the transitive property. Actions have reactions and 9/11 was a reaction. London bombing was a reaction.
        Spain attempt was a reaction. Muslims in the midle east are tired to be attacked and bombed since the 1800 by the western terrorists. Afghanistan was attacked 3 times by the british and by Clinton before 9/11.

June 29, 2011 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |