April 6th, 2011

ISAF accident, friendly fire lead to deaths

Two NATO-led soldiers died in a friendly fire incident in southern Afghanistan, and a civilian was killed in an accident with a coalition convoy in the Afghan capital, NATO's International Security Assistance Force said.

An ISAF Joint Command incident assessment team is looking into the troop deaths, which occurred Wednesday. There were no details about what happened, and the precise location of the incident was not available.

ISAF said it plans to "determine the circumstances" of the friendly fire, the term for troops killing or injuring their allies or comrades.

In Kabul, the nation's capital, the civilian was killed and two others were injured when one of the three ISAF vehicles in the convoy "accidentally struck some civilians who were in the road," ISAF said.

"A nearby ISAF patrol provided a security cordon while first aid was administered." The injured were taken to a medical facility, the statement said, adding that no shots were fired by ISAF members.

The ISAF is the NATO-led mission helping the Afghan government in stabilizing the country and establishing security.

1. Kim

Eric, what is happening to you
    Afghans have never attacked the U.S., Saudii Arabians and Egiptians but no afghans
    Maybe for you it does not matter who struck in your country
    in that case why not Mexico, closer to home, you could see your kids more often

April 12, 2011 at 11:56 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Hindu WISE man

mr "polemic" strikes again....................

April 12, 2011 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
  3. salerno

Probably the 2 US soldiers dead were killed by drones. There is an investigation, but it is clear now that drones are not so precise and reliable. I am alwaus right in my assessments, and my opponents are always wrong.

April 12, 2011 at 9:15 am | Report abuse |
  4. salerno

The only right war is when your country is attacked militarily. This is the original sense of the islamic jihad. The last time US was attacked was before WWII. All the wars after that were unjustified. German soldiers were put on trial because they followed orders. So following orders is not always good.

April 8, 2011 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Eric

Salerno, Check it out it is not Afghans we are fighting. I have afghans that work on my post over here. I worked alongside two afghanistan men a week ago. One is in his 70's and one is in his 40's. They are father and son from the local town outside our gates. They were hired by us to help spread rocks around the Plywood shacks that we (Soldiers) live in for a year out here. These two men that I had the privaledge to work with were very thankful for the US Troops clearing their town of the Taliban influence and look forward to a brighter future for their young children. Their smiles and their thanks, though it was all in very broken english, is what helps me cope and deal with the fact that I have only been home for 1 year out of the past three years and watched my children grow on a webcam and in pictures. I was raised in Louisville, KY by a hard working father and a mother who was an in home health care Nurse. My parents made sure that our family sat at a dinner table for supper everynight, said grace, and had that valuable family time together in person. I get to do it over webcam on a Laptop. My four year old daughter told her Pre-K teacher that she understands that her Daddy is in another country helping them get the same freedoms we have in our country. She said she is thankful to for her daddy. Sir let me tell you I am a 6'4" 230 lb man and that brought tears to my eyes when I heard about that. I am very proud of what I do and nothing you tell me is going to change the way I feel about what I do for those Americans and Afghan people that are thankful for what we, the armed forces of America, do for them. I am not trying to change your views on anything going on in this country either. All I would hope to help you understand is that American soldiers are not here because we want or like to be we are here because we believe as our ancestors believed at the birth of our country that ALL men are created equal and deserve to live in a free and democratic country led by its people.

Mr. Reuven Frank, Thank you for all your unwaivering support for all of us that fight for freedom and liberty. No sir, I salute you!

April 8, 2011 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • MicheleG

I run under many pseudonyms on the Afghan blog but it was I who sincerely saluted your valorous service.
      (((HUGS))) and deep respect again!

Bummer, I can't use Reuven Frank any more....

April 8, 2011 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • salerno

Eric – I don't care about your motivations, I do not support you at all for what you are doing, even if some afghans could support you, as it happened even in France with the Nazi. When you invade a country you will alwauys find someone happy, especially the criminals who can go out of the prisons.
      There is a civil war in Afghanistan and 10% of the afghans are fighting against you , while other 10% are US allie. The majority is non fighting, but hostile to you, as they protested against civilian casualties and against the Quran burning.
      So stop spreading lies about the freedom and the human rights you claim falsely to bring to other countries.
      You soldiers are even worse than your politicians, as they are elected and needs the votes of the people.
      There are intelligent americans like sen. Ron Paul or the Vietnam veteran ex-politician Jesse Ventura who are in line with my views. So you soldiers are just looking for money and career, I do not see any honor in your job.

April 8, 2011 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • MicheleG to ERIC

Know that salamee is a traitor and deserter. Therefore his so called "positions" are invalid and not deserving of the time and energy to answer them.

April 8, 2011 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
      • salerno

Michele – you stupid, as even the americans were British desertors when they fought for independence !!!

April 8, 2011 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
      • salerno

So I preserved the TRUE american spirit.

April 8, 2011 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
      • salerno

While you are the traitors (and stupid)

April 8, 2011 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
      • AlexanderTheGreat

The babbling twit would have America undergo a third world style coup d’état.

And/or is trying to elevate is vile desertion and traitorous views into something far higher than he can aspire to in real life.

The fool is a TRAITOR and DESERTER.

April 8, 2011 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
      • salerno

Alex – You are jelouse of my freedom as NOBODY can give me orders. You can only kill me, if you are capable, but you like any soldier must obey to orders. There is an abyss betwen me and you.

April 8, 2011 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
      • AlexanderTheGreat

The bigger the abyss the better you fool.

April 8, 2011 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
      • salerno

I am fine on this side, as I am free, while you have to deal with your superiors giving you orders.

April 8, 2011 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • BANGASH

Eric I see a lot of sincerity in your feelings and see no doubt in your loyalties to your nation or others in world which your tears in your eyes after listening what your loving daughter had in her innocent mind about her daddy, speak. But I see you as an emotional man,a best tool in the hands of enemy of America. You see it a privileged for working with Afghan father and son which mean you respect these Afghans when dealing with them therefore receive respect in return. You also see same Afghans what they do to their killers in your Army. So every action has equal and opposite reaction. It is law of nature which you me cannot change. I think this last address of ex President Eisenhower in 1961 is sufficient to make you understand the real enemies of your mother land you love a lot.
      How can a nation that prides itself on government “of, for, and by the people,” justify hiding these black budget allocations from taxpayer scrutiny? How can a nation continue to prosper by ignoring its own long-term demise at the hands of a militarized economy? If we truly want a real democracy to survive for generations to come, then we must demand extensive military reductions. We must demand a peaceful and sustainable path for our country and for the world at large. We must bring our soldiers home. We must protect ourselves from the tsunami that is building on Wall Street and in the halls of Washington DC).
      Eric USA has spent $ 60 billions in Afghanistan in last ten years and in return have earned hate for American nation by using military means to occupy Afghanistan against the will of Afghans. So you true and sincere sons of USA should have the right to be clear about your use in baby killing not only in Afghanistan but also in Middle East, Latin America and Africa. You can't deny US involvement in wars all over the world and US Military Industrial complex and Pentagon role in masterminding wars in world to find markets for their war materials. I also refer you to a web link http://www.johnperkins.org and his books the confessions of an EHM and US rising world Empire which will show you how few enemies of your homeland make you fool. Remember you as sincere and loyal citizen of USA must have clear vision about what you do for your country as same your nation will reap tomorrow.

April 15, 2011 at 6:13 am | Report abuse |
  6. Bobby

Salerno, while you sit there at home in your fancy recliner or whatever and you call me and my brothers and sisters in arms "the real terrorists", you just remember that it is us that provide that freedom for you. Yes, while we all may not be perfect, at least we had the BALLS to heid our nations call and fight to defend the freedoms of ungrateful people like yourself. So enjoy

April 7, 2011 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • salerno

Bobby – I don't have to joint a stupid war to demonstare I have the balls. Above the balls I have the brain (that you lack), additionally, modern warfare is no longer about balls, as you fight with high tech weaponry. So the strenght is not in the soldier but in techology, and US-Nato soldiers are true cowards fighting against poor armed third world poor armed citizens and children. As soon as you see few Taliban you call for air support !.
      My freedom is not in danger. We fought for freedom in WWII, that was last time. All the wars after then were for global domination. Remember how the war against AlQaeda started. US started it when arrested 4 AQ members in Albany in the eighties. US military routinely killed civilians as terror tool in Iraq, Serbia, Afghanistan, Pakistan.
      So I think you should desert, like we told to the Nazi ssoldiers 60 years ago.

April 8, 2011 at 2:02 am | Report abuse |
      • Eric

Salerno, so you think that all we do over here is target the innocent women and children and the weak people. These people are not that weak or stupid, considering they were smart enough to get into the united states learn how to fly commercial aircraft, hijack three different aircraft take out the Twin towers and Kill thousands of american people that went to work that morning just trying to do their job and make a living. Osama took responsibility for the attack on the united states then ran to afghanistan and pakistan for asylum. Now when we helped afghanistan beat the russains out of their country by training them all those years ago now we are fighting against our own tactics. Even though they are old tactics they are still trained to an extent. Now what you do not know is that Islamic people consider this war with america a Jihad. so we are not just fighting Al-queda or the Taliban all islamic people that believe in the "Jihad" are coming over here to fight us. Do I agree with this war, no. But I volunteered to serve my country and obey the orders of the President of the United States, so if he says go here and fight this war I will do it without question. That is Honorable. I do not have to like this war but I will fight this war until the POTUS, says we are done. Now I ask you why are you calling soldiers terrorists. We do as we are told that is it, if you want to blame anyone blame the government. Which, by the way, has decided not to pay us because of the government shutdown. So I still get to do my Job without pay and wonder how my wife and 2 daughters are going to get Groceries this month, and how my bills are going to get paid, and how I am going to pay my Rent to house my family. Go ahead and keep calling me a terrorist when all I am doing is trying to hold up my end of a contract I signed when I signed up for the Army when the Government is not going to hold up to their end of the deal and not pay me this month and put my family in a financial hardship. Thank you for your time and thank you for your support.

April 8, 2011 at 7:43 am | Report abuse |
      • salerno

Eric – I have to point out 2-3 things about your post:
        1 – People who learnt to fly in US were Saudi or Egyptians, while you are fighting mostly Afghans.
        2- If you go to http://www.rawa.org , you will find why I call you terrorists.
        3- I think you did very bad to sign a contract without any garantee. I wlod never permit to anyone to use me to kill innocent people. I prefer to go to Jail like Mohammed Alì when he rejected to go to Vietnam.

April 8, 2011 at 8:08 am | Report abuse |
      • Reuven Frank to ERIC

Thank you sincerely and devoutly for your generous, loyal and dangerous service. Salute to you! Thank you!

April 8, 2011 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
    • Eric

Idiot

April 8, 2011 at 7:44 am | Report abuse |
  7. milsyman

u are the terrists and if you think we are look at who started it

April 7, 2011 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
    • salerno

US STARTED IT

April 7, 2011 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
  8. rob roy

well folks,if their not chewing up Afhgan boys gathering firewood along a mountainside. I guess their allowed to sight in on their own people.correct me if i'm wrong but wasn't pat tillman{the all american hero} smoked with shells made in the U.S,what a bummer.fight for your flag and get taken out by your own people. i know, i know these jobs come with great risk,but there's too many gungho boys popping pills and watching too much call of duty, don't you think folks.

April 6, 2011 at 10:46 pm | Report abuse |
  9. BANGASH

what a shame, giving different names to the killing of Afghans. So called civilized world under the leadership of USA how mercilessly commit inhuman crimes under the banner of UNO in Afghanistan and this incident is just a media show while those killed in friendly fires or in the name of war on terror remain unnoticed.

April 6, 2011 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • AlexanderTheGreat

"those killed in friendly fires or in the name of war on terror remain unnoticed."

READ THE POST!

April 6, 2011 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Mainer

Our former police chief is a contractor over there training Afghanistan officers. Please update us on the names of the two dead and one injured; we're worried.

April 6, 2011 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  11. salerno

They are unable to drive, fortunately it happened not in US but in Afghanistan, where people have no rights and Nato forces can kill anyone without taking any responsibility.

April 6, 2011 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
    • Dan from Chicago, IL

Soon salerno your sympathy for the Islamic radicals will bring God's condemnation upon you.

April 6, 2011 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse |
      • salerno

You call radicals or terrorists the heroes defending their country, but my sympathy is first of all for the innocent non combatant and the children killed by the US military, the real terrorists.

April 7, 2011 at 1:46 am | Report abuse |