Brothers in arms
February 8th, 2011

A real-life band of brothers

Camp Pendleton, California (CNN) ­- Daniel and Joshua Beans don't spend a lot of time together and don't have much in common. But these brothers share a bond only troops who've marched into battle can fully understand.

Three years ago, Daniel, a Marine corporal, and Joshua, a Marine lance corporal, patrolled the streets of Ramadi, Iraq, together as part of the same infantry unit.

“We were lucky enough to be in the same platoon," Daniel said. “We both traded out being turret gunners and drivers for our respective vehicles.”

After returning home, the Beans brothers said they felt there was still more work to do.

“Both of us feel like we have something we owe to our country,” Daniel said. “And we have the means to repay it with our service.”

The brothers started looking for another Marine Reserve unit preparing to deploy. They wanted to fight the war in Afghanistan, and that's when they volunteered for the 1st Battalion, 23rd Regiment known as the “Lone Star Battalion.”

Video:  Brothers prepare to go into battle

Marines think of themselves as “brothers in arms.” But when the Beans brothers joined the unit of mostly Texas reservists they discovered brotherhood runs deep.

The “Lone Star Battalion” uniquely includes five sets of brothers:­

- Lance Cpls. Guillermo Hernandez, 27, and Raul Hernandez, 24, from Corpus Christi, Texas;

- Cpl. Daniel Beans, 24, from Gainesville, Florida, and Lance Cpl. Joshua Beans, 23, from Tampa, Florida;

- Lance Cpls. Jonathon Faseler, 21, and Matthew Faseler, 19, from Jourdanton, Texas;

- Gunnery Sgt. Hector Vega Cigarroa, 35, and Sgt. Francisco Vega, 32, from Houston; and

- Lance Cpls. Cody Henrichsen, 22, and Bobby Henrichsen, 19, from Katy, Texas.

This real-life band of brothers has even surprised longtime veterans of the Marines Corps. The unit's commanding officer, Lt. Col. Todd Zink, said the family bonds make this Marine unit stronger.

“I was surprised when I heard it myself,” Zink said. “I think it can be a force multiplier in the sense that no one knows you better than your brother and to have him close by probably gives you strength in trying times and the difficulties that lie ahead.”

There are no U.S. Marine Corps policies that prevent brothers from serving together on the front lines. But Marine officials said it's more unique to the reserves because these Marines usually join units near their hometowns.

The journeys of each set of brothers to this point are unique. Most had no idea that their unit included so many blood brothers.

“It’s pretty incredible,” said Hector Vega Cigarroa, who is serving alongside his younger brother, Francisco. “Years from now, when we're both grandfathers, we can sit there and talk to our grandchildren about it.”

The “Lone Star Battalion” is wrapping up its final training missions in Camp Pendleton.  In the coming weeks, it will begin a seven-month deployment to Afghanistan.

The intense final preparations bring into sharp focus the hazard and danger they’ll soon face in Afghanistan. And each set of brothers admits that having family around helps ease the stress.

The Hernandez brothers come from a family with deep military ties: Their father fought in Vietnam. Guillermo Hernandez, a lance corporal, joined the Marines first. His little brother, Raul, recently promoted to lance corporal, followed in his footsteps, and now they'll go to war together for the first time.

“I don't think there's anyone better to keep me safe than him,” Guillermo said. “It's a little reminder of home. It’s comforting having him here, knowing he’s safe.”

But for the families of these soldiers, the strain of war deployment is doubled. And each set of siblings said the idea of watching two brothers march off to war triggers a complex set of emotions for their parents - fierce pride and gut-wrenching anxiety.

The Hernandez brothers said their mother has cried a lot.

Cody Henrichsen said his mother is “emotional about the entire thing.”

But the families do find comfort knowing the brothers will be fighting together.

“I think they take comfort in knowing we're both going,” Daniel Beans said, “being able to get each others' backs instead of going separately.”

Post by:
Filed under: Troops
  1. Lee

Salerno, if you hate this country so much, why don't you leave?

February 14, 2011 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • salerno

I do not hate, I critic about US because I love this country.

February 15, 2011 at 8:39 am | Report abuse |
  2. Lee

Salerno, the US has not been killing innocent people since well before 9/11. Read a history book.

February 12, 2011 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
  3. myklds

@salerno, so it was "THERE ARE" not "THEY ARE, Ah..ok, not bad, despite the continuity of thoughts in a statement and some few "0" instead of 9;"countrries" instead countries "becouse" instead of because; "week" instead of weak; "replay" instead of reply;and "lykids" instead of myklds; but still it's my bad and I'm sorry, I must...WHAAT??!! "conyestualize"??!! WHARR DUD YOW GAT DAT WURD YOW STIPID!

"Oh, sorry for my spelling and grammar if it counfused you. Although it sounds like a 5th grader Iranian but "I was born", Ahhh...I mean "I came here with my father after world war. It's my metphoric fat fingers fault.

And it also habduallah's fault of not telling that (most probably) he got his monicker from King Abdullah who was allegedly talking to a US diplomat and was referring IRAN as the "HEAD OF THE SERPENT" that must be cut-off, According to one of the 250,000 released by wikileaks.

I didn't knew it, but yapping about wikileaks and other media but don't enough knowlege about it. But I know everything.

You might say that my stories have been inconsistent and incoherent but you must understand that I have been here with my father after world war that's why I already have alzheimer, I mean memory loss and...my arthritis, I mean my knees is aching but women love my slim body and they don't have problem about it. And I'm a fat-fingered liar, literally
    not metaphorically."

February 12, 2011 at 6:40 am | Report abuse |
  4. Lee

They are not Fascists fighting an offensive war. Salerno, your responses keep getting stupider and stupider. My brother is a Marine and I am offended by what you say.

February 11, 2011 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Lee

Salerno, do you honestly believe any of the crap you're saying?

February 11, 2011 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  6. myklds

@ Salerno..Here's another post of yours that confirmed your 101X the name you have been calling to posters that don't share with your thoughts:

"Folks – I have the right to tell my opinion. I don't need you, so don't tell you fight for me. When I travel I am protected by the local police, be it Uk or Egypt or Iran, or Hungary, or China. There are little countries with little military without problems.
    I think US did too many wars recently.". This can be found at #26 on your second reply to Ssgt's post.

Were you saying UK and China as "little countries with little military"??? You must be on crack, OR just a fat-fingered liar to say that.

And..you were saying that you traveled a lot? Oh c'mon..have you seen a Map in your entire miserable life?

February 11, 2011 at 7:30 am | Report abuse |
    • salerno

I did not say China is alittle country. You said. You know everything right ? You know how much I traveled, how is my body, my fingers, congratulations my NostraDumbus !

February 11, 2011 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Lee

Salerno, you're still an idiot.

February 10, 2011 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse |
  8. CharlieSeattle

It is a very bad idea to have the brothers serve together. Split them up in to seperate deployment rotations.

February 10, 2011 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  9. salerno

Uncle John, Sam, John Doe, Gl Joe- You talk like animals and shoild learn to treat better the women in America. This celebration of the war and the military push them to the war. The women in the army have triple rate of suicide than the non military. It is not normal situation to be forced to war to get consideration and health care insurance. You should cahnge your evil culture of violence.

February 10, 2011 at 8:36 am | Report abuse |
  10. hADEUS

Salerno, go back to TIMBUKTO!

February 10, 2011 at 7:17 am | Report abuse |
  11. LarryKegel(US Army)

AMEM:

February 9, 2011 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Lee

Bayo, you're stupid, too. These are not foreign, imperial wars. They were started to rid the world of the menace of crazy extremist terrorists. Those terrorists launched an unprovoked attack on Americans on our own shores. If we didn't fight back, there would be nothing to stop them from doing it again. 9/11 was not caused by some " top-secret" plot of the government. My brother is a Marine, and I resent anything said about him and the rest of the armed forces. Before you say something so stupid again, read a history book.

February 9, 2011 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Lee

Salerno, you're an idiot, too. My brother is a marine, and I resent the things you've said about them. The Marines are nothing like the Nazis or the Fascists. If they were, you wouldn't be able say any of your crap. You would be put in jail for saying any of it. So think about that the next time you want to say something so stupid.

February 9, 2011 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  14. HuntingTowelHeads

With your bro. Priceless.

February 9, 2011 at 10:28 am | Report abuse |
  15. jonez

Band of Brothers was real-life, not fiction.

A better headline might be A Band of Real Brothers.

February 9, 2011 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |
    • jonez

And for the record, screaming at someone to shut the hell up because they question why we put our young people in harm's way is truly missing the point. Questioning government policy regarding war does not equate to denying support for our soldiers. TRUE patriots question, particularly when it puts the lives brothers and sisters at risk. It is a fundamental freedom to debate in America. Those who try to shout down or intimidate people whose opinions they don't share are no better than the Taliban or Al Qaeda.

February 9, 2011 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  16. salerno

Yacobi is using HER freedom, not yours.

February 9, 2011 at 9:38 am | Report abuse |
  17. salerno

US military is formed by parasites wasting our tax payers resourses. Their military operations caused the death of 3000 americans on the 9/11 attack. They failed to protect them, so why should they thank ? Other country like Switzerland, Hunngary, Portugal have no problem.

February 9, 2011 at 8:01 am | Report abuse |
  18. salerno

No they are not christians, they are anti-christians, exactly what predicted by Matthew 24.

February 9, 2011 at 7:55 am | Report abuse |
  19. salerno

US military is formed by parasites wasting our resourses as taxpayers. They failed to protect the people dead on 9/11 and caused the attack with their activities in the middle east. You do not protect me,, on the contrary you endanger the american lives.

February 9, 2011 at 7:47 am | Report abuse |
  20. Dindy..

AFDAV
    Good post .

February 9, 2011 at 3:52 am | Report abuse |
  21. Lee

Joe, you are a complete stupid idiot. My brother is a marine, and it's people like you that make me sick. The only reason you can spout your crap is because of the Marines and other branches of the military fighting and dying for the freedom to say that crap. I honestly don't know where patriotism has gone. There was a time when people wouldn't dare to bad-mouth the military. They appreciated what the fact that their sons and husbands and daughters fought and died for their freedoms. You, sir, ought to be ashamed of yourself.

February 9, 2011 at 12:30 am | Report abuse |
  22. cynthia

PRAYERS BE WITH U AND GODSPEED!!!
    THANK U FOR GIVING OF URSELVES SO THAT MY FAMILY AND I MAY CONTINUE TO LIVE FREE. U ALL HAVE GIVEN SOMETHING THAT A VERY SMALL FEW ARE WILLING TO GIVE...SO FOR THAT AGAIN I SAY THANK U

February 8, 2011 at 11:48 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Aaron

ok well the sulliaven bros where all the parents had if thats all the kids in fam then they would not be able to serve but obesiously theres more the just them read into you history pepole

February 8, 2011 at 11:07 pm | Report abuse |
  24. R2RO

This is common in the Guard....especially father-son, uncle-nephew, siblings.

February 8, 2011 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Joe Gonzalez

I personally know Gunnery Sgt Vega, over the past 4 years I have learned many things from this individual, many things that words cannot teach. Vega is hope, inspiration and a role model. I also met the little big brother Frank, and the their little brother who is a Drill SGT in California.

Vega, brother, take care of yourself and Frank, I cant wait to see you back home, my prayers go to you guys. If yall need anything from me, you know what to do!! Remeber that the wind will always travel from West to East.. SEMPER FI!!!!
    86O42..

February 8, 2011 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Bulletprooftiger

I know the beans brothers and they smell like poo

February 8, 2011 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
  27. jojojabber

Semper Fi, Marines. Viet Nam vet, 2 tours. 0311. Keep your head up and your ass down. Fight instinctively, Fight intelligently. Adapt, overcome, improvise. Again, Semper Fi!

February 8, 2011 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
  28. MO Pharm

You don't have to agree with the fight to thank our military for serving. THANK YOU!

February 8, 2011 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse |
  29. hendeeze

dumbest idea ever, god forbid they get rpg'd /IED then the parents would lose all their children

February 8, 2011 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
  30. RITA

As a proud American citizen it pains me to read such ignorance from people who actually live on this soil. My son's father, my father and brother were all Marines and I thank and appreciate anyone and everyone that has served in the armed forces for serving this country so that we can sit on our a** and play on the internet and watch big screen T.V.'s and relish in the luxuries of this superficial lazy a** country! A lot of Americans have become so spoiled that they have forgotten what our troops fight for. Whether u agree with the war or not atleast have some compassion and humanity for the troops and their families. People never cease to amaze me with how dumb they can be or how cold. I knw there is a lot of corruption in this country but I wldnt want to live anywhere else. I'm proud to be American!! Thank You and may God protect and keep u all!

February 8, 2011 at 8:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • salerno

Rita – People around the world can watch big screen TV without sending soldiers to kill civilians abroad. Just an information for you, but better if you travel and look for yourself.

February 9, 2011 at 9:36 am | Report abuse |
  31. Brian

But – don't forget, when we're really needed we combine to form DecaTen Ben Zen Fighting Robot 62!

February 8, 2011 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Signal Corp

I served & my father served.
    At 1 point we were on the same base living in the same home but with different jobs. Siblings can serve together if they volunteer. But the military will not draft brothers if there only 2. I amire the Bean brothers' loyalty to the principals of our nation.
    Its a disappointing how ungratful many Americans are.
    If you've never served you'll never understand the bond, love, friendship, loyalty, & willingness to die for a fellow serviceman or country that exists in the military.

February 8, 2011 at 7:32 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Angie Fraser

First and foremost, God bless our men and women in uniform all over the world. That being said, having brothers serve in the same regiment is not unusual in the British Army, especially in the Scottish Regiments, where most enlistees come from a specific area in Scotland or family members have served in a particular regiment for several generations. It's not unusual for as many as four brothers to serve in the same regiment or to have a father, son, and grandfather all serving together.

February 8, 2011 at 7:31 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Jay

That's nice. They can get in the same BN, but I can't even get in the same damn BDE as my husband ever and we always end up on opposite deployment schedules. I love the Army

February 8, 2011 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |
  35. james

All of you liberal morons should open your eyes better yet head over there and wave your white flag and promote peace but when you get nabbed don't go crying on your tape say I'm sorry for being ignorant somebody save me as a vet it sickens me to see what you guys post I was proud of what I did and if my legs were not busted up I'd be right back over there

February 8, 2011 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Retired MP

Now there you have it there are 8 Marines taking a moving photo and they cant even stay in step. Left right left right left right left, keeping in step, your doing double time, evidently they dont do it all the time.

Thats exactly why I joined the Army.

February 8, 2011 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • sagmaj

Wow. I wasn't aware that close order drill was directly related to the capacity in which a bunch of young men can close with and destroy the enemy. For some reason I can't remember in all my days of being a knuckle dragger where I executed a close order drill movement in a kinetic environment. The statement you just made is precisely why you joined the Army. Drillin' don't mean killin'.

February 8, 2011 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • sagmaj

Also, if you get out your NASA super computer calculator, you'll notice there are 10 outstanding Marines there instead of 8. S/F.

February 8, 2011 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse |
      • The Wife

Semper Fi, Sagmaj! That's why I married a Marine and NOT a soldier! Oohrah!

February 9, 2011 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Rob

At least, they're doing something with their life.

February 8, 2011 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
  38. WO1 Dixon

Well, if that doesn't define why we fight, then I don't know what does. Semper Fi, MARINES. Best Story every, best of luck to all of you guys, take care of one another!

February 8, 2011 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
  39. doug

Not uncommon – actually liked it as a commander because brothers tended to check each other well. In modern combat, mass casualties are usually limited to the size of vehicles or helicopters; if the unit took any precautions, it would be to split them between chalks (sorties) aboard helicopters, not unlike how leaders are routinely split up. Godspeed and thanks for serving.

February 8, 2011 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
  40. nathan

When ppl serve as marines the make a bond between eachother that makes them just as much brothers in real life... Brothers in arms... Have a real brother with u wld b something to make the realtionship better and let's u knw u have someone watching your back... One reason why they dnt like brothers fighting together is if 2 sons get killed n war and they r the only sons in the family with the last names... Causes familyies to b cut away frm history

February 8, 2011 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Proud American

I am not in the military. I am not close to anyone who has been or is now in the military. I'm just a proud American. To those of you who say we shouldn't be fighting a war, have you forgotten about 9/11? I haven't! To those who bring hate upon our servicemen and women, you should have been in those towers instead of the many great lives that were lost. You should reconsider your stance before voicing your opinion publicly to a very patriotic nation.

February 8, 2011 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fallout

Well said!

February 9, 2011 at 7:37 am | Report abuse |
  42. Shamrock6

I have never so many uneducated,mean-spirited,self-righteous,arrogant statements as I've seen here. In the first place,we have absolutely no right to even be in Afghanistan and to belly-hoo a bunch of guys who are going over there to kill people is absolutely nauseating!!! Enough already!!!

February 8, 2011 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Gary D.

The military must have forgotten World War II, when 3 brothers were killed in combat serving in the same unit. The sight of the 3 gold stars hanging in the family's window, so completely demoralized the American war effort that they passed a rule in the military that relatives cannot serve in the same unit.

February 8, 2011 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
  44. ExLDS

Way to go Marines!
    Even though I served in the Army (Airborne), I respect the great traditions you adhere to. I work with many retired Marines here in Jacksonville, NC as a Chaplain and these men are just awesome. They love their country! One guy I work with who is in is late 60's said if he could go to Iraq or Afgan; he'd do it in a heartbeat. It's men like this who make this country what it is. I am proud that I served and proud to be an American, "where at least I know I'm free."

February 8, 2011 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Vilheim

After reading all these comments, I decided to post my own view on things. Before I start, I want to get one thing clear for all of you. The main thing is that you CHOOSE to join the military. I have never served, and probably won't, but I still respect the military and the uniformed even if I do not agree with what they are fighting for. The Afghanistan war started during the war against Soviet Russia. The Soviets invaded Iraq and Afghanistan, and brutally cracked down on any city who opposed the new Communist government. The resistance group known as the Taliban tried to fight back, and a Texas senator decided to fund this group and supplied them with weapons. The Soviets were repelled, but now President Bush has drawn us into a war against the Taliban, a now large terrorist organization. I think this war should never have started. This is a war over resources. For those who are shaking their heads, what I am about to say may anger you, but I believe that our nations choices have huge ripples throughout the world. We should be careful on how we use our armed forces, and I, for one, do not want to grow up in a world of war and violence. This war affects all of us, even the High School kids

February 8, 2011 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Mike

VEGA BROTHERS = SIR SKATE A LOT

February 8, 2011 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Julia

I find this story really amazing. My brother, sister, and brother-in-law were all randomly stationed together at Ft. Lewis in Washington, and even though they don't work together or deploy together, it has been a huge blessing for them and for us to know they have people to lean on. I hope that as these Marines get ready to deploy they find comfort in having family close by. Be safe boys and God bless!

February 8, 2011 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  48. kimjr

Never send kids to war!

February 8, 2011 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  49. kimjr

These soldiers are dying for no cause protecting what country? lol none they are in iraq and afghan to ocmmit suicice they are doing nothing but dying for no cause, fail war !!! go die in iraq b/c you're wasting your time! stupid bush and obama

February 8, 2011 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  50. sagmaj

OOOOORAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! This is the best ever loving thing I've ever seen in my ever loving life. Good to go? Hot diggity dog, corn on the cob! OOOORAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! Hopefully you all get to serve together and they don't split you up! It would be sweet if you brothers could watch each other's back and not have to worry about where your brother is! Good to go? OOOOORRAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

February 8, 2011 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Navygirl

The military should seperate these brothers; this is just heartache waiting to happen for their families if somthign unfortunate happens. Yes I know exactly what I'm talking about.

February 8, 2011 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  52. mitchncincy

Like any sane person I am not thrilled about the fact that we are involved in 2- wars which appear to have no end in sight and I don't always agree with how our government handles things but unlike some of you I know which team I am on and as long as we are not out there raping & killing women & children, damn it I will stick by and support whatever our government feels needs to be done to protect the best interest of our country and my fellow citizens. Those of you that speak ill of the young men & women that serve need a swift kick in the back side and if you think it's so bad here your more than welcome to get the heck out because you're not wanted anyway. What you need to remember is these brave folks are out there protecting our way of life. Our way of life, think about all that statement encompasses, no really think about it. If you do you may just think twice before you bad mouth the brave men & women sacrificing their lives and own future to protect our. Like it or not G. Bush said "your either with us or against us" It's your choice, why because you live in this great country!

February 8, 2011 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  53. warpigs

we in the USA have the biggest hypocrites and dictators. we dictate how people in other countries should live.

February 8, 2011 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Kelly Curry

God bless and God speed to these 5 sets of brothers and all of our men and women who serve and have served in out armed services

February 8, 2011 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Sgt. Steve

When I was deployed to Iraq in 03 I went with my twin brother. It def. gives you some sense of normalcy. Just being able to talk and be around a family member makes it a little easier. As a matter of fact we had 3 sets of brothers deploy together in my National Guard Unit. Good luck!!

February 8, 2011 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Byrd

To all who write the words: "To those who serve...", well, screw you. Cowards one and all, I care nothing for your chicken s&%t opinions. Your armchair patriotism is nothing more than disgusting. Live with your cowardice, jerkwads. You're far less than nothing to me.

February 8, 2011 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Hillary

Thanks for the article highlighting these brothers. But a HUGE thank you to the men themselves. Be safe and THANK YOU FOR ALL THAT YOU DO FOR US AND FOR THIS COUNTRY. Hopefully we will see a continuous follow up on all of these men. We are truly grateful to them.

February 8, 2011 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  58. bandofbs

where are Band of Sisters?

February 8, 2011 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  59. solomon

what a coincidence! Thanks to you guys and your families for the sacrifice and may the good lord watch over you through your tour of duty.

February 8, 2011 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Byrd

Positive proof that insanity is genetic. Why else would anyone even begin to consider joining the Marines? I did it too for eleven years. And what do I think of the warmongers on these pages? Chicken s*%t morons one and all. All talk and no gumption. Basically , cowards. Sure glad that I don't have to live with that fact.

February 8, 2011 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Rusty 1522*** USMC 1954-1962

God Bless these and all Marines. They are my Fraternity Brothers.

February 8, 2011 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • BUBBA--ALABAMA STYLE!!!

You mean they're a bunch of trigger happy bozoes who are there for the killing since none were drafted to fight this needless and senseless war!

February 8, 2011 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  62. boog

We serve this country for our own personal reasons. And the greatest thanks we get is from those who spew their ignorance so proudly and without fear of having to pay for it. Thanks to all who support the military

February 8, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Rusty 1522*** USMC 1954-1962

It is obvious that some of the people making comments on here about the USMC are not the brightest bulbs on the tree. Here's a deal for them. Let"s let them enlist and they all will be assigned to the same Boot Camp Platoon. We'll call this platoon the "Turd Troop".I'll gladly break out my old D.I. uniforms and serve as their Senior Drill Instructor.
    Semper Fi and God Bless not only these 10 but ALL MARINES.

February 8, 2011 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Chedar

To all who serve this great nation. I salute to you. May you be safesnd healthy.

February 8, 2011 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  65. MK

To the brothers Good Luck and God Speed! I wont comment on the posts here as some just dont deserve responding to. As a Viet Nam era vet I thank all who came before me and all who continue today. I cant speak for others but I also felt I owed my country this small service. I continue to live in the greatest country on earth today with all its flaws and all its problems. I do know this, we have the greatest armed forces in existance today. Thanks again for your service. I wont ever forget. Ohhh Rahhhhh Semper Fi!

February 8, 2011 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Byrd

I jjust hope that their mothers don't end up like the Sullivan brother's mother when she lost all five of her sons during WWII with the sinking of a single ship. That's why it's not a good idea for family members to serve in the same battalion. In support groups maybe, but infantry battalions, definitely not. We're all brothers in the Marines, both past and present, but as an infantry Marine your attention needs to be directed not at worrying about the safety of your sibling or cousin, but elsewhere, both down range and with the Marines around you who are depending on you to save their butts when the SHTF, just as they'll save yours. Semper Fi, Mac...

February 8, 2011 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
  67. pierce

and 5 sets of irresponsible parents.

February 8, 2011 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • DontBHateN

Good thing you're not defending our country!! 5 sets??? DUUUUUH!!!!

February 8, 2011 at 11:39 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Brian in Toronto

Service to your country is fine and should be encouraged whether is be military, civil service or volunteer.

I still think it is bad policy to have family members serve in the same unit. It would be traumatic enough to lose one family member but to lose 2 or more because they were in the same unit would be even worse.

February 8, 2011 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • DontBHateN

Nothing like positive thinking!!!

February 8, 2011 at 11:38 pm | Report abuse |
  69. JarHead

There sure are a lot of ignorant, sit on their butt, arm-chair, X Box 360, geek/wannabe warriors making anti-military comments. Try living in the real world like my brothers in arms have. Go outside the U.S. and see what's really happening. Put some muscle tone on your flabby butts and arms and spend a little time outside your house away from your computer. You might see some reality and change your ignorant perspective.

February 8, 2011 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fallout

Heh, well said, Marine. Thanks for your service to our country.

February 8, 2011 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Fallout

These guys are all heroes. Brave men who have signed up to do a dangerous job that has to be done. I hope you stay safe and return home whole and healthy. I'm really tired of people griping about what they refer to as "illegal wars" by the U.S. Our conflicts are not illegal. Flying planes into buildings full of civilians: that's illegal. Using bio-weapons on ten's of thousands of civilians (ala Saddam Hussein): that's illegal. It's not about oil, politics, greed, or other petty concerns. It's about world safety, justice, and (why not?) revenge. It's about doing the right thing because you are the only ones willing and able to do it. I admire these guys for rising to the call. Hell, I wish I could join 'em!

February 8, 2011 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  71. just saying

This civilization is about done what use is fighting for it.

February 8, 2011 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Daniel-2

I suppose that we're going to be hearing about these bozoes for the next six months. Hip,hip,hurrah or should I say,SIEG HEIL?!?!?!

February 8, 2011 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  73. TwoGuns

I served with my brother in the Marines during Operation Phantom Fury in Fallujah. I know my mom barely got to sleep the whole time. Oooooooorah to all my fellow service men and women. Check out http://www.americanhitmen.com for a rock band made up of 4 Marine Corps combat vets!

February 8, 2011 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  74. f

man i wish i could be in the marines, army or some US forces. My parents wont let me, they want me to be a doctor 'sigh'

February 8, 2011 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Knucklehead61

Now if we could only get ALL the Palins to enlist....

February 8, 2011 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Byrd

If god was really protecting soldiers and Marines, then they wouldn't be in combat in the first place, now would they? Unless, of course, this god isn't so powerful, benevolent and wise as many of you proclaim. He may in fact be a jerk the likes of which you've never known. But then you wouldn't even want to think about something so terrifying and sinister as that, now would you....

February 8, 2011 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dindy..

Byrd..please do not blame god !! God did not tell man to start a war.

February 9, 2011 at 8:10 am | Report abuse |
  77. Bamagirl

It seems that we still do have some of the characteristics that make this country strong. I think of my grandfather & great uncles who fought in WWII, they fought on different continents & across the oceans. They were strong, determined good men who fought for OUR FREEDOM, just like these men are doing. As a mother of 3, two of which are sons, I can only imagine how they must feel. As an American, I am proud to hear this story about the men who think enough of my freedom & security to be willing to fight for it. To be willing to go with their brothers to do so. I pray for their safety, thank them for their service & bless the parents who raised these sons. This is what it is to be an AMERICAN!!

February 8, 2011 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • salerno

That was a better time for America. Now it is no more the same America.

February 9, 2011 at 7:51 am | Report abuse |
  78. Ituri

These brothers might find serving in the same unit less "honorable" and more a curse when they see their beloved family member opened up by an IED, or hit in the head by a sniper.

There are rules against husbands and wives serving in the same unit. These are in place for a reason.

February 8, 2011 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Gromit801

Monumentally stupid. Guess the military forgot all the lessons of WWII after the five Sullivan brothers all went down on the USS Juneau. Never put family in the same unit. Take any of these siblings and say while they are visiting or together in a tent, a rocket or mortar rounds takes them out? The family tree dies right there.

ex-USAF, eight years.

February 8, 2011 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dindy..

Gromit801..
      I agree with you. Better to let them serve in different units for their own protection.

February 9, 2011 at 8:07 am | Report abuse |
  80. buckyfever

It's nothing new having brothers serve together. When I went to Iraq we had three sets of brothers in one company (100 people). It happens all the time. I don't know why all of a sudden now it gets reported as a frontpage story.

February 8, 2011 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Meredith

The bottom line here is that regardless of people's feelings about the war (I myself am NOT a fan of war at ALL and hate seeing our troops put in the line of danger) the POINT is to appreciate and be thankful for the men and women who are willing to put their lives at risk for US. Without them, you D-AMN sure wouldn't be able to run your mouth and spout of your personal opinions. Go overseas where you could be killed for saying similar things. So instead of sitting on here talking sh-it about our troops, why don't you fix your mouth to say THANK YOU instead! And then SHUT UP!

February 8, 2011 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • salerno

Meredith – speech freedom is all around the world in many countries. Actally it is reduced in USA. Many comments are deleted.

February 9, 2011 at 9:40 am | Report abuse |
  82. steve larson

Stay safe, and God bless!!! Thank you for your service!!

February 8, 2011 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
  83. vernon

as an ex sgt in the u.s.a.f. i will always stand beside our troops wherever they may have to fight and those of you who wont then you can feel free to stand in front of them!

February 8, 2011 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  84. zzzzzzzzzzzz

There's a huge problem in the military right now that none of you know about yet. You may never know.

February 8, 2011 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • DontBHateN

Why don't you tell us???

February 8, 2011 at 11:35 pm | Report abuse |
  85. USMC Wife

Salerno, I find your understanding of American life appalling. REGARDLESS of whether you agree with the reasons these wars were started, these brothers...these Marines...are still putting their lives on the line and following orders given to them by their superiors. And while you sit and bash the American military maybe you should go and ask your father why he came to this country. Ask him exactly what it's like to be free, then go and enlist in the USMC (that is if they'll take a spineless POS like yourself) and go see for yourself in Afghanistan what my husband and these brothers are fighting for every day.

February 8, 2011 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • salerno

USMCwife – I have no intention to serve the military, as I fought to avoid the draft even in my original country. I appreciate when the military defend borders or ships from piracy, but do not support them when attacking other countries killing civilians and even children. This is too uncomfortable to me.

February 9, 2011 at 4:34 am | Report abuse |
  86. ollie

I to have the right to comment whether any of u agree or not to my comments. that is my right as American. how could we possibly ever acheive to be a peaceful nation when u can't even agree to disagree? @papa ? why r u so angry n threatening physical harm to those that have a differant view than urself? @joe,selreno? my husband was recuited from a gang-infested neighborhood, is well educated and served his country with pride! and i as a wife am proud of him! do not assme that in which u do not know!

February 8, 2011 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  87. RonD

Maybe it's just me, but I couldn't help but wince at the fact that they are out of step in the photo. Civilians think that's a minor point. But Soldiers know differently – especially when stateside 🙂

My hat's off to them all. The military is one of the most important tools for protecting the US from invasion and destruction. Yes, the military has been abused at times. Decades ago we had a saying that one of the most dangerous things we had to worry about were the politicians in D.C. But our job was to carry out orders and that hasn't changed.

February 8, 2011 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Cesar USMC-0302

Semper Fi, brothers!! Will keep the Marines and Sailors of 1/23 in my prayers! Get some....

February 8, 2011 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  89. Parrymax

God bless and come home safe your work is valued.

February 8, 2011 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  90. DevilDog

Get some Marines. Keep your heads down and watch your six.

February 8, 2011 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  91. MR

Please God Bring them all back home safely to the their parents..

February 8, 2011 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  92. jason hansbrough

Thanks to all u guys and gals that protect all of us. Keep ur heads down and may u all come home safe. THANK YOU!!!!!

February 8, 2011 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  93. mangoz

"MONEY"...I'm sure this is what you tell yourself each night before you switch on your spongebob nite light...but...you are an idiot if you really believe that there are "gangs" in the Marine Corp. I'll make sure to pass that little tidbit on to my son...the Marine.
    Joe...you and the others can get your night lites at "BabysRUS".

February 8, 2011 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  94. Bulletprooftiger

I'm sure it's all part of the vast right wing conspiracy, seems to me that bush is behind all of this, he is known for hating brothers

February 8, 2011 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  95. DontBHateN

Bless their hearts!

May God bless and protect each one of them and bring the whole battalion back safely!!

February 8, 2011 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  96. mangoz

Its easy to sit and bad mouth this country and our military when you choose to hide behind the skirts of women and children. The ONLY reason you would attempt to down grade the military is because you lack courage and this is just your way of over compensating for your cowardness. There is no other answer...you are afraid. “To be one's self, and unafraid whether right or wrong, is more admirable than the easy cowardice of surrender to conformity.”

February 8, 2011 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  97. Tootough

As a Navy combat veteran, I was hospitalized during 'Nam in a 4-man room with 3 Marines. They were the bravest men I've ever known. Pretty much shot or blown to pieces, they tried so hard to be upbeat and get their lives back together. They even struggled mightily to stand at attention as the doctor's made their rounds, which used to be required.

Rangers, Lrrps, Green Berets, Delta, Seals...I've never served alongside a tougher, braver, more dedicated group than the Marines!

God and Jehovah please keep these Marine's safe and bring them back to their families alive and well!

February 8, 2011 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dindy..

Tootough Amen to this brother!!!

February 9, 2011 at 8:05 am | Report abuse |
  98. buck

To joe and rest of you ignorant people? (being nice calling you people) Yes it is sad you folks missed being on top of the tower on 9/11 and as for the "POOR" traitor in the brig, there should be a law of automatic death for traitorism.I'm proud of our military and to of been a military person in Viet Nam and in US army 65-69 various assignments plus Turkey Berlin. Would LOVE to meet you in person joe and discuss your thoughts on the military.

February 8, 2011 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  99. searchingForAnAtheistExtremist

What rights and freedoms did we risk losing?

February 8, 2011 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |