Brothers in arms
February 8th, 2011

A real-life band of brothers

Camp Pendleton, California (CNN) ­- Daniel and Joshua Beans don't spend a lot of time together and don't have much in common. But these brothers share a bond only troops who've marched into battle can fully understand.

Three years ago, Daniel, a Marine corporal, and Joshua, a Marine lance corporal, patrolled the streets of Ramadi, Iraq, together as part of the same infantry unit.

“We were lucky enough to be in the same platoon," Daniel said. “We both traded out being turret gunners and drivers for our respective vehicles.”

After returning home, the Beans brothers said they felt there was still more work to do.

“Both of us feel like we have something we owe to our country,” Daniel said. “And we have the means to repay it with our service.”

The brothers started looking for another Marine Reserve unit preparing to deploy. They wanted to fight the war in Afghanistan, and that's when they volunteered for the 1st Battalion, 23rd Regiment known as the “Lone Star Battalion.”

Video:  Brothers prepare to go into battle

Marines think of themselves as “brothers in arms.” But when the Beans brothers joined the unit of mostly Texas reservists they discovered brotherhood runs deep.

The “Lone Star Battalion” uniquely includes five sets of brothers:­

- Lance Cpls. Guillermo Hernandez, 27, and Raul Hernandez, 24, from Corpus Christi, Texas;

- Cpl. Daniel Beans, 24, from Gainesville, Florida, and Lance Cpl. Joshua Beans, 23, from Tampa, Florida;

- Lance Cpls. Jonathon Faseler, 21, and Matthew Faseler, 19, from Jourdanton, Texas;

- Gunnery Sgt. Hector Vega Cigarroa, 35, and Sgt. Francisco Vega, 32, from Houston; and

- Lance Cpls. Cody Henrichsen, 22, and Bobby Henrichsen, 19, from Katy, Texas.

This real-life band of brothers has even surprised longtime veterans of the Marines Corps. The unit's commanding officer, Lt. Col. Todd Zink, said the family bonds make this Marine unit stronger.

“I was surprised when I heard it myself,” Zink said. “I think it can be a force multiplier in the sense that no one knows you better than your brother and to have him close by probably gives you strength in trying times and the difficulties that lie ahead.”

There are no U.S. Marine Corps policies that prevent brothers from serving together on the front lines. But Marine officials said it's more unique to the reserves because these Marines usually join units near their hometowns.

The journeys of each set of brothers to this point are unique. Most had no idea that their unit included so many blood brothers.

“It’s pretty incredible,” said Hector Vega Cigarroa, who is serving alongside his younger brother, Francisco. “Years from now, when we're both grandfathers, we can sit there and talk to our grandchildren about it.”

The “Lone Star Battalion” is wrapping up its final training missions in Camp Pendleton.  In the coming weeks, it will begin a seven-month deployment to Afghanistan.

The intense final preparations bring into sharp focus the hazard and danger they’ll soon face in Afghanistan. And each set of brothers admits that having family around helps ease the stress.

The Hernandez brothers come from a family with deep military ties: Their father fought in Vietnam. Guillermo Hernandez, a lance corporal, joined the Marines first. His little brother, Raul, recently promoted to lance corporal, followed in his footsteps, and now they'll go to war together for the first time.

“I don't think there's anyone better to keep me safe than him,” Guillermo said. “It's a little reminder of home. It’s comforting having him here, knowing he’s safe.”

But for the families of these soldiers, the strain of war deployment is doubled. And each set of siblings said the idea of watching two brothers march off to war triggers a complex set of emotions for their parents - fierce pride and gut-wrenching anxiety.

The Hernandez brothers said their mother has cried a lot.

Cody Henrichsen said his mother is “emotional about the entire thing.”

But the families do find comfort knowing the brothers will be fighting together.

“I think they take comfort in knowing we're both going,” Daniel Beans said, “being able to get each others' backs instead of going separately.”

Post by:
Filed under: Troops
  1. BFBrother

My brother is in the Air Force, and I do not always agree with what the government does, but I will have no problem defending him and the other members of our Armed Forces.

To all who are serving or have served, a sincere and heart felt thank you.
    To everyone else, be appreciative for what they are doing, not necessarily what the governement is doing.

February 8, 2011 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dindy..

BF Brother well written. May God be their Guide and protector.as they went there to save all of us from these dangerous suicide bombers!!

February 9, 2011 at 8:02 am | Report abuse |
  2. chris

I am a US Navy Vet and it doesn't matter which branch of service your in because when it comes down to it weather your a Marine, Army, Navy, Air Force, and Coast Guard all of us are brothers and sisters because we do what so little of the country is willing to do sacrifice everything for the better of our country and our family's and your family's. Sop when someone like Joe wants to run his mouth about being brainwashed or others saying we haven't had to defend the US since 1812 let me ask you this. Why is that? well the answer is quite simple when 9/11 happened America knew that we had to put a quick end to being attacked in our own country so we took the fight to them. Had we just sat on our ass's (JOE) and complained but took no action we would have been left open for another attack where thousands more civilians would have lost there lives. Thanks to the few brave men and women who took arms and said No we wont sit idly by while these countries wreak havoc and spread terror on our land and we will defend our people and the rights of our people (JOE) so maybe instead of running your mouth about all the BS that comes out of it maybe you should take a trip to your local recruiters office and give it ago for a few yrs and see what it cost to be free.
    SEMPER FORTIS

February 8, 2011 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Amber, Houston, TX

VERY well put sir. thank your for your service!!

February 8, 2011 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dindy..

chris....only people who has been there only know how it is. true patriots will not tolerate such crime like 9/11. Bless you for your service Sir.

February 9, 2011 at 7:59 am | Report abuse |
  3. ArmyWife

For all of you who are asking "Who are we defending our country from?" Do you not remember 911? That is why our SOLDIERS are fighting for our FREEDOM so we can sleep at night!! "If you don't support our SOLDIERS feel free to stand infron of them." My dad got a silver star in Vietnam-my husband has served 2 tours in Iraq and YES I am Patriotic and its not because I was "brain washed" in school to sing the National Anthem or to saulute our flag..I hear the National Anthem and I get the chills thinking of all the people who have died and been wounded for us..for all the babies out there with no fathers or mothers and the husbands and wives with no spouses. They are all/ were all protecting us and your right to sit here and make stupid remarks.

February 8, 2011 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • salerno

Armywife – your words reflect your violence. You can feel protected by troops killing civilians, but even the Nazist thought to do did the same. On the contrary they put their country art risk.

February 9, 2011 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
  4. brown

Don't take ANY chances in Afghanistan brothers! The rich are getting richer and you are putting your lives at risk
    for a war the people of this country are too ignorant to care about.

Don't be a statistic, let the rich shoulder the burden for a change!

February 8, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Chris

Why does this article refer to them as "A real-life band of brothers
    " yes they are siblings.... but I'm referring to the original Band of Brothers...where they not real? No they may not have been related to each other through blood, but they did exist. I'm sure the author didnt mean anything insulting by it, however their story was not fictional...just sayin

February 8, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Indian

Guys , this is madness , why are these americans so eager to die , what is this war about , let it go

this is not a war-game video game , you dont see any politicians , industrialist , or even your beuraucrats , judges sending their kids to war -wake up , you have a choice

you think deepak chopra or dr gupta or bill gates or tom hanks or jay leno or .....will go to war and fight -obiviously not -these are selfish and intellgent people who know when not to die , and how not to die and nothing is worth to die for

none of the above mentioned guys will give a drop of blood to save your life -why ???? and oh they wil never confess openly or advise you

i am Indian and even a mortal like me is able to see that , that you guys are wasting it man
    you dont have to be selifish but atleast dont be stupid

this is not patiotism , this is either ego or ignoarnce in action, be loyal 2 truth

atleast dont waste the the gift and if you want to then fight for the worthy cause

February 8, 2011 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  7. darrell

Never has been a policy about brothers serving together. It is discouraged. The only policy is in regards to sole surving sons. The sullivan brothers only increased calls for a ban on brothers serving together.

February 8, 2011 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Smokey

Hey it's just like the Fighting Sullivans! Hopefully the ending is happier.

February 8, 2011 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  9. MrSnuggles

Sad to read some of these comments. No matter what you think about current and past wars is completley irrelevant. The relevant factor is that you should support the troops, no matter what. They go to war whenever needed, and sometimes these wars are pointless but that is not the fault of the men and women serving their country. Hopefully some of you can realize you should support the troops and not the war. Be angry with the politicians that started these wars, not the soldiers! Also, please realize pulling out of Afghanistan and Iraq cold turkey is a bad idea. We must finish what we started, no exceptions.

February 8, 2011 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • MrSnuggles

Sorry folks,I didn't post the above. Some jerk usurped my name here.

February 8, 2011 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
  10. searchingForAnAtheistExtremist

@Joe: Hang in there. You're on the right side of the argument in my opinion. Unfortunately we seem to be the minority as usual. Most of us don't have any interest in even trying to engage in these types of debates because the responses are always so disappointing (not to mention tasteless, abusive and hateful)

February 8, 2011 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • MrSnuggles

I totally agree with you. I doubt that ant of these right-wing birdbrains ever finished high school or even grade school for that matter!

February 8, 2011 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
  11. martian

Joe, the truth is bitter to swallow. The way I look at it, small scale war is necessary evil to prevent large scale war. By engaging with our enemy constantly, we put them in check and make our military ready and strong. Collateral damage is unavoidable. I rather see they suffer the collateral damage than us do. If you call that selfish act, then yes, by your definition, I'm selfish, we're an selfish nation and the human beings are a selfish race, and it will stay this way. Don't forget, by bin laden's teaching, you're put of this too. So don't be a hypocrite, admit it, child killer!

February 8, 2011 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  12. will

I'm one of the brothers in this story,my brother and I would like to say thank you to all for well wishes.And to the friendly people at CNN for takin an intrest in us, we never really thought we were special.so this is kinda strange all the attention.but again thanks to all!

February 8, 2011 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Eni

Will, thank you for everything! Be safe, and I hope you will see your family soon! I am not American born, but I feel just as much American as if I had been born here. I love my birth-country too, but now I feel I belong here, and I feel so lucky to have been able to come to this country and given the opportunities I have been given! I never take it for granted! When I see stories like yours, I look at the future and I hope my son will grow up to be like one of you! The best of luck and God be with you!

February 8, 2011 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bob Nance

Will, I served with your Dad in 1970 Semper Fi Keep your head down and tell Bill Hi.

February 8, 2011 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse |
  13. John

Joe,
    Are you an idiot? You should go over there and stick your *** in harms way. You should thank these brave men and women for protecting your sorry ***. Who knows what happens if we don't go over there and tear up terror camps. There is always going to be people trying to bring our country down but these brave men and women try to make sure that number continues to grow smaller every day. If I was able and the military would take me, I would be more than happy to shoulder a gun and go to save your sorry ***.

February 8, 2011 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

Sorry Joe,I didn't post the above. Some jerk is trying to make a fool out of me!!!

February 8, 2011 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Praz

I don't normally comment on any of these stories. But. I think the reasons that America sends our boys all over the world to fight / keep the peace and the reasons those boys choose to serve are separate discussions.

ANYONE who serves in the armed forces in almost any capacity has my respect and admiration. They are at the mercy of the government in terms of what situations they are put in, so that right there requires some bravery.

The rest is a debate for another story / another day – to me anyway.

February 8, 2011 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  15. searchingForAnAtheistExtremist

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind" Mohandas Gandhi – (Labeled a terrorist for the majority of his life) Innocence and guilt are in the eye of the beholder and reality is partial to human interpretation. Anyone who thinks they _know_ who is guilty and/or innocent is simply arrogant.

February 8, 2011 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dicky

Ganhdi was a pacifist that accomplished nothing for his people, explains why there still having problems with china? Easier to deal with a dead taliban then letting em go free to fight again another day while your "cheek" is turned.

February 8, 2011 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
  16. blursd

Dear Bean Brothers,

We're not sending Tom Hanks over to Afghanistan to get one of you out if the others get killed.

Sincerely,

Hollywood

February 8, 2011 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Meredith

@blursd: Go f- yourself....for real.

@Will: Thank YOU so much for what you do. It was awesome to be able to read a story about all of you...best of luck and may God protect you guys and bring you home safe.

February 8, 2011 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • exnavy

your an idiot

February 8, 2011 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  17. bostongye

As a former Marine and Iraq veteran, I tip my hat to these guys, I had a pair of brothers in my unit and am still friends with them today. And allow me to call out people like "Joe" making the comments that they're making accusing us of being mindless murderers, etc.... I never once witnessed the murder of an innocent person except by Islamic fundamentalist insurgents... You know how they'd behead Westerners on camera? Well they were (maybe still are... its been a while) doing that weekly to regular iraqi people. Capturing them and beheading them. We're the murderers? You obviously have no clue whats going on in the world outside your comfort zone, which is safeguarded by the military.

February 8, 2011 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dindy..

well written bostongye.

February 9, 2011 at 7:55 am | Report abuse |
  18. Gale

I hate the thought of losing brothers in combat in any service. I hate the thought of losing my son when he leaves yet again this month for Afghan for the second time in two years! He is my youngest of three sons. This time he will be leaving a baby boy and a five year old daughter. His son won't know him when he returns a year later. I have a friend who lost her ONLY child, a 30 yr old Captain in the Marines a couple of years ago. He was not married, nor had any children. I felt terrible for her. He was so proud to be a Marine. My son is Army and is so proud. My dad was Navy World War II. He talked about it for years..ha. We were bored to death listening. I wish I could hear him talk about it again. Now my son won't talk about anything. It worries me sick. He keeps it all inside. I fear he will explode like one of those bombs someday. He lives for his wife and babies. He just better make it home in one piece this time. They will have to answer to me this time! I hate this damn political war that will go on and on and on. Money, money, money. Our country can't afford it any longer.

February 8, 2011 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dindy..

GALE......NOT THAT i AM PRETENDING. i AM TRULY SORRY TO HEAR YOUR STORY. HOPE HE WILL RETURN HOME SAFELY IN THE MIGHTY PROTECTION OF GOD!!! MY SON IS IN TH E ARMY TOO.

February 9, 2011 at 7:53 am | Report abuse |
  19. defending hypocrites

Joe, your interest in children is concerning.

Now that your dishonorable, useless life has been minimized by people who wake up proud of who they are and what they have done for the parasitic members of our society like you and Tonya Harding, the 90lb loudmouth on this thread, we can return to the topic of the article. Thank you all of you who have served in the US Armed forces. If it weren't for your service as a deterrent to imperialism in the various forms it has manifested as in the past, I thank you for defending the consitution for which I find the right to type these words. I dread the thought of living without these rights, though I may not have earned them.

That's all the societal parasites need to say to acknowledge the source of their freedom to speak their opinion.

February 8, 2011 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • salerno

Don't assume we are parasites, because we aren't. Assumptions are dangerous. To me actual soldiers are parasites as they are wasting our resources.

February 9, 2011 at 3:50 am | Report abuse |
  20. Janelle

These men and women put their lives on the line every day for US and all that SOME people can do is talk crap???? Wow people like Joe really are a daisgrace to American people everywhere. My father served in Vietnam and my husband was in the Marine Corps and now serves as a cop for the last 10 years and I for one am VERY proud of him as I am ALL the "HEROS" that serve this country so that we can enjoy our life of freedom. Joe I surely hope you DO get out of this country and move somewhere where you have NO freedom and stay there to rot!!!! May these BRAVE young men return home safe to their loved one and may they know they are APPECIATED.
    ~A Proud American~

February 8, 2011 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • salerno

I agree with Joe and hope he will remain in US. 63% of americans are contrarian to the war. So you have no right to tell to Joe to go out of his country.

February 8, 2011 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
      • Dicky

95% of all statistics are made up on the spot, this one included.

February 8, 2011 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
      • oorah

he doesnt fight for it

February 8, 2011 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
  21. searchingForAnAtheistExtremist

I don't differentiate between who's an 'innocent' victim and who's not. Frankly, I don't see any difference. One person's terrorist is another person's Martin Luther King Jr. It's no more up to me to decide whose life is worth taking than who's innocent or not. My ego simply can't inflate enough to uphold such a claim.

February 8, 2011 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cris

So let me get this straight....even Hitler and his minions didn't deserve to die? What about Pol Pot? Stalin? I think you need a strong dose of the real world.
      Cris HC/2 USN (ret)
      1st Medical Battalion
      1st Marine Division

February 8, 2011 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  22. NHK

Didn't this stupid country Govt. ever learn any lessons from the past? Two brothers should never be deployed to the same place in ths same time! Griovwing worser and sorryer all the time. No ethics, no morals, and of all things NO CONSCIENCE!

February 8, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Fan

Has everyone forgotten "The FIghting Sullivans" - five brothers on one ship in WWII, all died aboard in battle. (Look it up on Netflicks, if not in a history book.) Thought we gave up putting people from one town, much less one family, into battle together after disastrous experiences with mass casualties in World War One. (Hence MacArthur's "Rainbow Battalion.)

February 8, 2011 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • NHK

If this country was able to learn anything from the lesons of the past, it would not be in the shape it is now! Pride comes before the fall, and o brother, how fast are we spiraling down to the rock bottom!

February 8, 2011 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  24. chuck

i believe its a bad idea.

February 8, 2011 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  25. hopewellmomschoolagain

"more unique"???

February 8, 2011 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  26. padawan

You'd figure that highly trained Marines would be in step with each other...

Joking aside, I give my praise and thanks to these soldiers and others in the service, and their families.
    May you make it home safe.

February 8, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Jack Daws

Those five young men should not be in the same unit. That's too much risk for one family to bear.

February 8, 2011 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Pedro Alicea

Thank you to all the soldiers who serve, have served and will serve. This country is great because of you. Whether bound by blood or duty, the brotherhood is the greatest that the United States of America has to offer, whether it be Army, Navy, Marines or Air Force.

February 8, 2011 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  29. JWB3

Americans seem to have forgotten what they should do when the National Anthem is played. As an Army veteran that spent 30 years serving our country, it bothers me when Americans fail to render the proper respect during the playing of the national athem. I don't mean to single out our professional athletes, but I do think if the NBA, NFL, MBL, and NHL would encourage players to display the proper respect during major sports events such as the Super Bowl while the television cameras are running, other Americans just might see it and once again show the proper respect to our country's Anthem and Flag. Just in case anyone needs a reminder here is what is suppose to happen when the National Anthem is played:

(b) Conduct During Playing.— During a rendition of the national anthem—
    (1) when the flag is displayed—
    (A) individuals in uniform should give the military salute at the first note of the anthem and maintain that position until the last note;
    (B) members of the Armed Forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute in the manner provided for individuals in uniform; and
    (C) all other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, and men not in uniform, if applicable, should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart.

February 8, 2011 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • T.O.

How bad is it that I don't care if anyone burns an american flag or any flag? I don't even like the national anthem that much. They're just symbols of limitations we as a world are going to need to transcend. Burning a flag is a waste of money though.

February 8, 2011 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • T.O.

I don't mean any disrespect. I think being too nationalistic can diminish people outside your country, in some way. We need to be able to work together regardless of what country you're from. Especially as technology is making individuals more and more capable every day.

February 8, 2011 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Semper Fi don't hide

Return together brothers.

February 8, 2011 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Ronald

I blame the internet for polarizing America. Everyone speaks their mind, but insted of venting they get angrier. Everyone has an opinion on these websites, but the reality is no one is listening, or even cares for that matter...including the one I'm currently typing.

Like someone above stated, Most of the instigators in these forums would never have the guts to say it infront of a real live person, so that person holds it until he/she gets here, lets it go, and now everyone gets angrier.

These forums ultimatley solve nothing, and I argue just makes things worse

February 8, 2011 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  32. searchingForAnAtheistExtremist

@selarno: Exactly.

February 8, 2011 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Name*F

Great story of fine young men with good intentions. Time to bring them all home and give them an education and a job.

February 8, 2011 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cat

Name*F: Are you saying my brother, my mother, my father and my grandfather are not educated people? Are you saying that serving your country isn't a job? I'm just trying to understand the point of your comment.

February 8, 2011 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  34. tylene

Pawpaw25

February 8, 2011 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  35. TRIXIE

WHAT WEIGHS VERY LITTLE BUT IS DIFFICULT TO HOLD.CLUE THE 9th COMANDMEND 4 OF 7 BROS SERVED IN VN GOD BLESS AMERICA LAND OF THE FREE

February 8, 2011 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Don DeNike

My younger brother Steve and I both served in the same unit in Vietnam (3/17th Air Cav). Even though he died there I was always happy he was there with me and we did watch each others nback as only brothers can do. My best to these brothers and all those who serve. God bless and keep you safe.

February 8, 2011 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  37. searchingForAnAtheistExtremist

Papa Kilo- I would gladly say that to your face and I'm a 90 pound absolutely non-violent woman. Your desire to try and enlist fear or come off as threatening is only acting to amplify the fundamentals of the point Joe and I are trying to make. Its too bad you feel such a need to appear awesome. It really only accentuates your underlying fear and feelings of powerlessness.

February 8, 2011 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Papa Kilo 15er

No what is sad is people like you who think they have all the answers about everything, and try to down those that serve our country. Tell you what sweetheart, take your happy little self to the ME, and after you're slapped around and put out in a field to slave all day long in the blistering heat while your husband sits in the shade with his buddies drinking tea, then get back to me about how bad things are here is the states.

February 8, 2011 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  38. CocoA

I hope and pray for safe return to you all and I salute the brave men and their families!

February 8, 2011 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Meredith

@ Papa Kilo 15er: Exactly! And good for you and THANK YOU for your service!

February 8, 2011 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Jim

Remember the motto of the sullivan brothers in ww2. We sullivans stick together.

February 8, 2011 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Amber, Houston, TX

Im a proud wife of a 10 year vet. He served on the Nimitz for 4 years, and was in infantry for 6. Our son in August will be leaving for the lakes to join SARS. Now, to all these idiots who are bashing the military, i suggest you show some respect to the men and women who give willingly everyday so you can wake up. Im sure glad they are around and for all those before them.

February 8, 2011 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  42. George

My hat is off to any man or women that chooses to serve in any branch of the United States Armed Forces. You choose to put your life on the line so that the rest of us can sit at home in peace. You choose to live in horrible conditions, day after day, so that we have the rights that make this country the best in the world. Thank You – Thank You – and Thank You!!

February 8, 2011 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Ronald

I see all of these ?'s about the Sullivan Brothers. While yes, they are Brothers, they were also the last ones to carry on their names. It doesn't matter if "Brothers" serve together. I served with a pair of twins. They could have a cousin that could carry on their name, making them exempt from the rule.

I could've played that card when I was in b/c I'm the LAST male to carry on my last name, but I thought that was cowardly, and I'm not a pansy.

But it doesn't matter, if they wanna serve, let'em serve.

OOH RAH, and Semper Fi!

OOH Ra

February 8, 2011 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Dennis

@ Meredith: Great come-back! Thank you for your commitment next to your serving husband, and thanks to your brother for his service. There are always people like me and others who really appreciate the service man and their families 🙂 Please do not forget ...

February 8, 2011 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Andy

Btw... Nothing wrong with killing people that need to be killed. Might makes right.

February 8, 2011 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Darci

They are all reservists If they were active duty then they would not serve together.

February 8, 2011 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sam

This is not true, I have served with several sets of twins, and I am an active duty army soldier.

February 8, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Dennis

@ Joe: In every war are victims that should not have been victims. Every war. It's not a good thing and it's not a bad thing. thousands of Iraq's were killed and gas'd by Sadam. Is Iraq now safe? or democratic? no, there is a long way to go. BUT I belive that many iraq's are glad that sadam is gone, many are glad that they don't have to worry about to gettin executed by his regime. Kids can go to school, and hospitals are getting build. It that's all? No, it might just make 30% difference to Iraq but 30% people can live free. It is a START, the Iraq's have to get their own country in shape now, with the support of the world. We and the supporting countries made a difference.

How ever the war is run, and however we try to avoid innocent victims. You have to remember that there will always be innocent victims, which noone can avoid. It's not a excuse but that the reality. I pray for the lost souls on both sides and I smile when i see a future. and Iraq has a future .. now

February 8, 2011 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Andy

@ Joe, people join the military to protect people like yourself. Internet loudmouths who would never in a million yearshave the nerve to speak to a marine like that or defend themselves and their families.

February 8, 2011 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  49. keith

what happens when another incident like The Sullivan brothers occurs? Thought they changed siblings and all serving together like this and limited it so that families would not receive notifications that both (if not all) of their children were kiled in the same unit. Sorry while I'm all for brotherhood, I just don't they should allow situations like this to happen

February 8, 2011 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  50. moraki

Semper Fi, its cool to know brothers go to war together and have one another for support

February 8, 2011 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  51. searchingForAnAtheistExtremist

@Joe: I _completely_ agree with you. Murder is murder.

February 8, 2011 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Gerard Hoefling

Potentical recipe for disaster. Look up the Sullivan Brothers.

February 8, 2011 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Phillip

OOH-RAH fellow Texas Devil Dogs! Thanks for your service to our country and prayers for you and your families. Nobody understands your service and sacrifices like your brothers. Get some!

Phillip
    USMC
    Vietnam 69-70

February 8, 2011 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
  54. searchingForAnAtheistExtremist

I'm not grateful to anyone who kills anybody..regardless of who their employer is or what outfit they wear.

February 8, 2011 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • okap4397

Exactly.

February 8, 2011 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Meredith

That's fine. BYE!

February 8, 2011 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dicky

Thats cool, next time someones breaking into your residence or doing you bodily harm, just take it, don't bother calling the police hmm k?

February 8, 2011 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
  55. donna

Thank you all for your service to this county, and boys – girls be safe out there.!

February 8, 2011 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Dennis

@ Joe. You can't put all and everything in one bucket. that's wrong. In every country, every instutution, every sociaty, you will find a few bad ones. I agree that some individuals should have been watched more and probably kicked out the uniform BUT I do not belive and WILL not put all soldiers (don't matter what branch) in one bucket. This is a great nations, and we have a great military force, enjoy many freedoms others around the world don't have.

There are many soldiers who belive in the good, do good, and sacrifice their life for the good. So, to put all in one bucket is like a slap in their face. You need to appologize for your words.

My personal opinion: It makes me sick to find people as of today, sterotyping everything and put all and everything in one bucket. Where is the good? do you belive in the goos at all?

February 8, 2011 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  57. AM

This article had nothing to do with religion, yet I never cease to be amazed at the sheer hatred of atheists toward the Christian God. These hypocritical hateful bigots always turn every story into a religious discussion instead of making comments relevant to the news article. I hope these young patriots return safely from war.

February 8, 2011 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Doc P

Ive read every post and theres nothing warranting your victim-stancing. Grow up.

February 9, 2011 at 7:31 am | Report abuse |
  58. Matt

It's people like Joe who bring this country down. It's so sad, where is the patriotism anymore?

February 8, 2011 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • salerno

US went down becouse of WMD lies, Guantanamo tortures, civilians killing, prisoners executions, financial scandals, Clinton activity in the oval room, financial debit and so on....

February 8, 2011 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Kwesi

Hello everyone, I see the Sullivan brothers mentioned repeatedly. We have to remember that this is a reserve unit, not regular Arm or Marines. Being a reservist/nation guardsmen the unit is comprised of the local community. So once again it would be difficult to eliminate or require assignment of individuals to seperate units.

God Bless to those deploying, and may the lord keep you safe. From a former ormer US Army/Army Reservist...

February 8, 2011 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Nicole S. Hilo Hawaii

Sullivan brothers should be a lesson learned!!!! Im really gald to hear that they want to serve our country but I must really disagree about more then 1 son going to war! its just not right!!!! its down right wrong to put them together to go to war!!!!!

February 8, 2011 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Matt

Wth have you done for this country joe? Not dam thing these men at arms have. You have the right to b!tch and complain because of these men. So go ahead be the little b!tch you are. I hate people like you.

February 8, 2011 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Adam

I admire all past and present vets, thank you for risking everything for your service. Now that I established that, what the hell is wrong with you Marines? This sounds like a movie with bad news written all over it. It's one thing that these siblings want to serve together, but any armed forces branch needs to have the stones (and common sense) not to let this happen!

February 8, 2011 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cat

I think it's very good for morale that these brothers are serving together. I will admit that it adds stress to the families back home but it isn't about those families, it's about those Marines. If he wants to serve with his brother, than why not? My family is a military family and familiy is everything. People come and go but you will always have your brother or your sister. Is the idea of a brother wanting a brother to watch his six so bewildering? I don't think so.

February 8, 2011 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Byrd

I just hope that their mothers don't end up like the Sullivan brother's mother when she lost all five of her sons during WWII with the sinking of a single ship. That's why it's not a good idea for family members to serve in the same battalion. In support groups maybe, but infantry battalions, definitely not. We're all brothers in the Marines, both past and present, but as an infantry Marine your attention needs to be directed not at worrying about the safety of your sibling or cousin, but elsewhere, both down range and with the Marines around you who are depending on you to save their butts when the SHTF, just as they'll save yours.

February 8, 2011 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Joe

Hey joe, your a B**** and have no balls sir. Grow some before you talk next time.

February 8, 2011 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Hmm

I heard about this at work and I think it is a great idea. My brother and I are both Marines. I went to Iraq years before he went to Afgan but I wish I could have been there. It would have been great to have him around. I figure since we are letting gays in the military and women in the Infantry why complain about brothers being side by side

February 8, 2011 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Adam

Because they have nothing to do with each other.

February 8, 2011 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Meredith

My big brother is a Marine, and my husband is a Soldier. I am SO grateful to all our servicemen for the extreme sacrifices they make. May these brothers, and all servicemen, be under God's protection, and I pray that their families be strong while they are away. God bless, and THANK YOU!

February 8, 2011 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Meredith

My big brother is a Marine, and my husband is a Soldier. I am SO grateful to all our servicemen for the extreme sacrifices they make. May these brothers, and all servicement, be under God's protection, and I pray that their families be strong while they are away. God bless, and THANK YOU!

February 8, 2011 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  68. searchingForAnAtheistExtremist

I guess it's a good thing these young men are murdering people somewhere else because it makes them heroes! If these young men were murdering people in the US they would be called crazy and just be common criminals...it's all about geography I suppose...

February 8, 2011 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Yup

Its to bad too cause there are many things I would enjoy doing to people like you that made me a "hero" over seas

February 8, 2011 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
      • PeacefulWarior

You and your ilk are yet another reason why I don't feel comfortable with praising US soldiers. I know there are some good guys in there, just as there are everywhere else in the world. But as with the rest of our sepcies, most of you all are just awful. I am desperately trying to find hope for us.

February 8, 2011 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • salerno

searchingforanatheist – your comment was very ironical. Appreciated. You get an horrible animal-like answer showing who really are the american soldiers.

February 8, 2011 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dan from Chicago,IL

When you go to war it is NOT murder when you kill the enemy! We are defending our homeland which was attacked by Islamic extremists such as Omar, bin Laden, Qari Hussein and all their terrorist friends who are willing to kill themselves and even brainwash children in doing so to kill and destroy the American way of life! It is these people that are animals that we are fighting and they are the murderers!

February 8, 2011 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
      • PeacefulWarior

That's great.... if those were the only folks getting killed. Alas, even using your own explanation, many more people are "murdered" than are "righteously neutralized."

February 8, 2011 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
      • Dan from Chicago,IL

Tell me what is righteous about war?

February 8, 2011 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike Sterling

I really can't believe I have to explain this to you, but they serve to protect innocent lives (and those with no back bone like you.) Not to murder. Grow up.

February 8, 2011 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  69. angelikabertrand

We need to stop fighting other country's war. We are supposed to be a people of peace. Its done our duty to the world. We are done spreading innocent blood of our fathers, sons, daugthers in the armed forces of the United States of America. Let's get them all home. Let the country's be responsible for their own battles. No more and no less do we ask for being involved.

February 8, 2011 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • salerno

angelika – I agree, as in addiction to the US casualties there are also casualties caused by the US intervention. The problem is the politicians use the people for their goals. They are not fighting for other countries, but against them.

February 8, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Mike San Diego

Shameful!!! Have any of you asked yourselves why are we still throwing away our valuable young men and women.? and come up with an answer you can honestly live with?
    Someone please help the United States wake up.

February 8, 2011 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  71. okichewy1

I served 20 years in the Marines as a sole survivor of my name. I went to Iraq in combat. If you all remember, these individuals signed a contract with the understanding that they could go to combat and give their lifes. There is the sole survivor policy out there, but not many individuals that volunteer to join the military will use that escape when their friends are heading to war.

February 8, 2011 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Craig T

Why do I hear an echo in what everyone is saying. My only problem is that 9th picture doesn't do the two young men justice (but perhaps they choose the images).

February 8, 2011 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  73. RichP, easton, pa

The 5 Sullivan brothers come to mind and that did not end well.

February 8, 2011 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  74. drb

Well I think it is a wonderful thing,If two brother's can be in a gang together running the streets,why can't they fright for theic country together.I thikk it's awsome.lets keep the tren going..... God Bless each and everyone of them and their family.

February 8, 2011 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Adam

I guess logic is not part of your skill set. The difference is the Marines is a branch of our military that is funded by our government. Street gangs are full of low lives with no education. Are you saying our servicemen are no better than common street gangs?

February 8, 2011 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
      • lightfighter 1-9

Adam, did you write this while sitting at your computer naked, petting your cat while smoking a bong? Get off the computer and move to Iran you @$$#%&@!

February 8, 2011 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  75. SSgt. G

I am a Marine and will be reenlisting soon, the only difference for this next 4 years my sons will join the Marine Corps this summer. They know and hope they will be able to serve together, as they put it they can count on each other to ensure their safety. All Military personnel share a bond that those who say, I just don't understand will never know. My boys will be going into the infantry and they may end up right down the road doing a job that some cannot imagine themselves doing. "life has a flavor the protected will never know" a quote from Vietnam. for the 5 sets of brothers good luck to you and i might just see you out there. As for the Sullivan brothers they knew what they were doing and they had no fear. Don't ruin their bravery by lashing out at what you cannot do. Semper Fi Marines

February 8, 2011 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • salerno

Please don't call me "protected", as the 3.000 americans died on 9/11 were killed right becouse of your stupid military operations.

February 8, 2011 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
      • LiberalOne

The sad bit of this whole conversation is that someone believes that the existence and presence of the military is what is making the U.S. a target. Contrary to popular belief we've been a target for as long as we've existed. We'll always be a target. Country's without an active advanced military aren't targets because those contries are either consumed by a neighbor or fall into chaos. Even the Vatican has the Swiss Guard. Also, opinions about freedom and persecution can't be quantified from region to region because education levels in the regions differ. Someone raised believing that the only way to survive is to obey a tenent that they can't read on their own will always be more of a pacifist than someone raised to read and interpret what they are reading. The meek may inherit the earth but until that time comes they better buddy up to a warrior. Everyone has the right to be either predator or prey. I'm sure the mouse hiding from the hawk isn't really hiding, he's just exercising his freedom.

Thankfully, if it all goes to hell in a hand basket at least salerno's neighbors know they can kick in his door take his food and everything else he has and he wan't do jack because he doesn't want retaliation.

February 8, 2011 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
      • U.S.Army-OverLord

Well Salerno, 9/11 happened due to our enemies trying to destroy us. You sound like one of them. You must be a troll or a fool. We serve because we choose to. We don't need you to understand or to care for that matter. The real Americans stand in support of the military. The haters can take a long walk off of a short pier.

February 8, 2011 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
      • salerno

Folks – I have the right to tell my opinion. I don't need you, so don't tell you fight for me. When I travel I am protected by the local police, be it Uk or Egypt or Iran, or Hungary, or China. There are little countries with little military without problems.
        I think US did too many wars recently.

February 9, 2011 at 3:45 am | Report abuse |
    • quent97

Just asking...although it would give the brother's strength to serve together, how difficult would it be for a brother if his brother was killed? Can the surviving brother be pulled if he cannot go on psycologically sound? Also, what is sempre FI?

February 8, 2011 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
      • USMC AVIATORS GAL

quent97: Semper Fi is the motto of the United States Marine Corps. It means "Always Faithful.'

February 8, 2011 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Aubrie

Is this a Texas thing? It looks like 4 of the 5 pairs are from Texas. Way to go!!!! God Speed.

February 8, 2011 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Granite Sentry

It's great that they want to serve, but maybe in different units. Hasn't anybody watched Saving Private Ryan lately? Be a shame to break some moms' hearts just for the cheap rush of this press coverage. http://www.granitesentry.com

February 8, 2011 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • YBP

I agree. Split them up. Too emotional otherwise.

February 8, 2011 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
      • Dindy..

I agree YBP

February 9, 2011 at 7:48 am | Report abuse |
  78. Standing Army

Support the low-level functionaries, even if you are against both wars. You must support the order-following automaton grunts that do the actual killing, because White Jesus demands that it be so.

February 8, 2011 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Papa Kilo 15er

Dude you are pretty much shot out aren't you? 'White Jesus demands it'? What does that even mean?

February 8, 2011 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Amanda

To Will and Raul... I love you boys! Come back home to us safely. Semper Fi.
    To all the men and women serving currently or have served... Thank you.

February 8, 2011 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Hondo

Go with God, brothers!
    An old Vet

February 8, 2011 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  81. jfs

Godspeed young Marines!

Semper Fi.

February 8, 2011 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  82. AC

I have a great admiration for these young men!

February 8, 2011 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  83. endre

And why exactly are they going to Afghanistan?? I would love for someone to give me a straight answer on that...

February 8, 2011 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • YBP

Bravo.

February 8, 2011 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • xm

Because Bush thought that attacking a country (Afghanistan) could help fight terrorism caused by a few individuals from another country (Saudi Arabia).

February 8, 2011 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
      • salerno

xm – agree. It looks like a pretest for war. Wars are betwen nations, not betwen a nations and few individuals nobody knows where they are.

February 8, 2011 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
      • Dicky

Nobody ever recalls the fact that the Taliban aloud these terrorists to train in afghanistan before 9/11. Seeing as how we have also caught Canadian, British, Austraillian and many other nationalities in this conflict, should we attack their home countries as well or attack who actually trains them?

February 8, 2011 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Eni

Where were you on 9/11? I do not want my children to die in another 9/11. You need to educate yourself a little bit. I grew up in a dictatorship, and it only breeds hate. Our soldiers are over there to help these people out, get rid of these regimes, and help democracy win, and hopefully their future generations will not think about coming here and killing us. Instead they will live free and enjoy their lives! That's why our soldiers are there!

February 8, 2011 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |
      • bayo

these are foreign, imperial wars just like the UK had in the 19th century. it's not about protecting except US corporate interests. 911? if the security measures that were already in pace at the time had been followed it wouldn't have happened. instead it was hijacked by politicians as a pretext for further limiting US freedoms. If the US is so concerned about people living free, then why no action in so many other places, like Burma or Cuba which has suffered under dictatorship under US noses for over 5 decades?

February 9, 2011 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  84. rkned

these brothers have a choice and they chose to stick together so that we can sit in front of our computers and twit and comment via cyber for free. God bless all of oue troops. stay alert the enemy never sleeps

February 8, 2011 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  85. Lee White

Sullivans, anyone?

February 8, 2011 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  86. Alllicia

My prayers are with these boys and their families. Their words are so touching. I'm Proud to be an American.

February 8, 2011 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • salerno

soldiers are ridicupouse. I am ashamed to be an american taxpayer.

February 8, 2011 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
      • Osti

If you don't like it, I'll pay you $10,000 to forfeit your US Passport. Honestly. Then we can send you to somewhere like Somolia where there aren't any taxes and you can live tax free for the rest of you life. Just let me know.

February 8, 2011 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
      • Razor11

salerno, man you have alot of hate for someone who hasn't served and probably will not ever be able to serve. There are some other countries you can go and live in if this one doesn't fit you. Until you put sign up, put on the uniform and take an oath do not pretend you know what your talking about. And that does not mean just the military, become a cop, a firefighter, a social worker etc. And maybe just maybe you will be able to sit back and have the right to know something about our armed forces and the civil servents that serve this great nation. As for everybody that believes that the military is a bunch of mindless idots walking around shooting civilians, I ask you to show me me any 18 year old male or female that can lead, decide, and manage the situations that our troops do on a daly basis. While their peers are chasing tail, and tweeting on their phones that mom and dad paid for our boys are taking down terriorist cells, saving lives, making decisions that will effect the lives of their team as well as themselves. Not debating on whether or not to get high or go to class. I challenge anybody to prove to me that our men and women of the armed forces are mindless zombies doing the government dirty work and I will prove to you that they are leaps and bounds ahead of their civilian peers.

February 8, 2011 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
      • salerno

Folks – My opinion is the war are wrong and many lies were told to the people. I am grateful to the military men and women (I am reluctant to call them women, but this is the formula), when they defend borders, defend the ships from piracy, or other limited operations, but recent wars with so many civilians killed directly or indirectly by US military made me very uncomfortable.

February 9, 2011 at 3:37 am | Report abuse |

e.c. ridiculouse.

February 8, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
      • Wow, Again

Care to try a third time?

February 8, 2011 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
      • Dan from Chicago,IL

I'm ashamed that we have people like yourself as Americans,salerno! You should go back to whatever country you came from!

February 8, 2011 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Rick W

Semper Fi, brothers!

RJW
    USMC 1968-70

February 8, 2011 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Jessica

While I commend the brothers and thank them for serving my country I thought that putting siblings together in the same unit stopped when all five of the Sullivan brothers died when their ship was attacked and sunk in WW I or WWII.

February 8, 2011 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  89. Dan from Chicago,IL

To the band of brothers,
    May God make your missions successful and bring you home safely to your families, God bless NATO and ANA!

February 8, 2011 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  90. Norma

I didn't think that brothers were permitted to go to war at the same time? In reading the article it sounds as if it has changed?? Do they not take into consideration that the parents might lose both of their sons?

February 8, 2011 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • chuck

see what happens when you start thinking.

February 8, 2011 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  91. Matthew

Kick same taliban as and come back safe.

February 8, 2011 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dollarbill

AND THAT WILL PROVE WHAT? DUDE UNTIL WE CAN GO AFTER THEM WHEREEVER THEY ARE WE WILL NOT WIN. IN ADDITION NOBODY AND I MEAN NOBODY HAS EVER WON A LAND WAR IN THAT COUNTRY. THAT IS THERE HOME AND THEY AIN'T GOING ANYWHERE. INSTEAD OF SENDING TROOPS WE NEED TO SEND MTV AND THOSE OTHER STUPID TV SHOWS THAT COME ON, WE SEE WHAT IT DOES TO OUR DUMB-ASS KIDS, MAYBE IT CAN WORK ON THE TALIBAN.

February 8, 2011 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
      • RightOn!

Make them all watch Skins & Jersey Shore!! That's better than Water Boarding!

February 8, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  92. Andres Romero

My son is a usmc to and my older son is army we are with you !!! God go to be with all you ....just keep your self on him and GOD will help you in evething ...Josue 1.7-8 "BE STRONG AND VERY COURAGE.BECARFUL TO OBEY ALL THE LAW...DO NOT TURN FROM IT !! GOD BLESS YOU.

February 8, 2011 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |

Vietnam 66-67

February 8, 2011 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • carlinism

Pleiku?

February 11, 2011 at 11:25 pm | Report abuse |
  95. Delila

I always thought after the Fighting Sullivans that the armed forces did not allow siblings to serve together

February 8, 2011 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • chuck

see what happens when you think

February 8, 2011 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  96. Paul Willson

I thought having brothers serving in the same unit had been banned after the loss of the 6 Sullivans brothers in WW II > Is this such a great idea ? Don't think so.

February 8, 2011 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
  97. Mathews

I thouoght after the 5 Sullivan brothers were lost when their ship went down in WWII, the US Military put together a policy regarding siblings serving together?

February 8, 2011 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • midnitejax

Apparently the Navy has (had) that policy inplace following the Sullivan's deaths. There is a Sole Survivor policy that covers all military branches. That policy is voluntary.It stipulates that when the last namesake is in combat, or due to serve in combat, they can be removed from harms way if requested.

February 8, 2011 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
      • midnitejax

Let's just keep the brothers in our prayers for their safe return, along with all our brave servicemen and women.

February 8, 2011 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rose

From what I understand the Sullivan brothers were the only son's their mother had therefore there were no other sons who could carry on the name. If these brother's that are going to Afghanastan have other brother's who could carry on their name than they can go to war together sadly for the mothers who is probably having some difficulties wrapping their minds around this.

February 8, 2011 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  98. WudLyk2know

WHY are these great young men being put in harms way?

February 8, 2011 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • CLassyblue

So that you could ask that question.

February 8, 2011 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
      • WudLyk2know

Who in Afghanistan is trying to keep me from asking that question?

February 8, 2011 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
      • HM3

Best comment so far. THANK YOU.

February 8, 2011 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
      • AndyInAtlanta

@WudLyk2Know – In the case of Afghanistan, U.S. forces are fighting a campaign against the Taliban and other extremist elements to combat the spread of radical Islamist fundamentalism and global terrorism. Just as the U.S. fought against the conquest of the Kaiser in WW I, the global spread of fascism in WW II, the global spread of communism in Korea and Viet Nam, we are now fighting to keep another threat to our freedoms and way of life off of and away from our own shores. Or haven't you been keeping up with current events? This is important so pay attention: It is better to fight and defeat an enemy before they get here. Don't make me have to expalin the wisdom of that to you.

February 8, 2011 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
      • WudLyk2know

@AndyinAtlanta you could have written half as much and still been as condescending and uninformed. You truly need to stop believing everything Fox news tells you.

February 8, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
      • Josh

@WudLyk2know – He had to spell it out for the ignorant.

February 8, 2011 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
      • Fallout

Osama Bin Laden, that's who. Remember him? Tall skinny guy, beard, turban, mastermind behind the attacks that killed 3,000 Americans? Ring a bell yet? HE wants to stop you from asking questions. HE wants to stop you from doing anything ever again! Don't you people get it? The job isn't done!

February 8, 2011 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
      • WudLyk2know

@Fallout and all others commenting about 9/11. If you really believe Bin Laden is in Afghanistan you have a weaker grasp on reality than I guessed.

February 8, 2011 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
      • USMC71

@WudLyk2know – Oh, you know where Osama is? And to think, all this time all the satelites and specail forces have been lookin for him and all they had to do was ask you where he is. It is better to be thought of as a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!!!!!

February 8, 2011 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • jhoff0216

Being the mother of two Marines, both my son and daughter, I can tell you that these young adults really are the very best this country has to offer. They go to SERVE. Instead of asking WHY, we should be saying THANK YOU.

February 8, 2011 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
      • salerno

We should avoid our relatives going to kill or be killed for wrong reasons.

February 8, 2011 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
      • WudLyk2know

I disagree. I don't think wondering mindlessly into war for the sake of war is a negative.

February 8, 2011 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • demombe

They are put in harms way so you have the freedom to make stupid comments, get up in the morning & drive your gas guzzling SUV, worhip or not as u choose, state your opinion whenever you feel like it and basically use your head for something other than a hatrack. As the wife of a Viet Nam era Marine I thank my husband every day for defending my rights & freedom. If you don't want these freedoms I suggest you move to a dictatorship & see how you like it. Ooh Rah boys!! There's no such thing as an ex-Marine.

February 8, 2011 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
      • George

Could not have said it better myself!!

February 8, 2011 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
      • Gabe

Asking why isn't necessarily a stupid comment. In fact, it's a necessary one.

It's a noble thing to want to serve your country. That fact alone means that we should be extremely careful not to send people to die unless it's absolutely needed. These amazing people have put their lives in the hands of their government. For that reason, the government should be extremely careful with what they ask them to do.

Asking why isn't going against the soldiers. If anything, it's showing them the utmost concern, respect, and love.

February 8, 2011 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
      • Anthony Hutchins

As a member of the Marine Corps DEP leaving in september i really like how you put that Semper Fidelis to your husband

February 8, 2011 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
      • Gabe

As an added note:

The soldiers fight for us. Shouldn't we, therefore, fight for them by exercising our freedom and making sure that our government is in check? If they're overseas, who will look out for their rights back home? Fighting for freedom isn't only done with guns, and it isn't only in other countries. It also includes asking questions and can be done in the voting booth.

February 8, 2011 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
      • WudLyk2know

Did you not understand my question? When did Afghanistan invade us and try to make us into a dictatorship?

February 8, 2011 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
      • WudLyk2know

Afghanistan is doing NOTHING to threaten the freedoms you speak of. I drive an electric American made car and feel that people like you who support war for the sake of war put us as a country in grave danger.

February 8, 2011 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
      • AF DAV

@WudLyk2know before you say that they are doing NOTHING to prevent our freedoms think about 9/11. The Taliabn took credit and the Afgan people, want to or not, are helping these people hide, providing them with funds and food. Our military is over there trying to catch the people who very much do threaten our way of life. Now. If you can now stand behind our troops please feel free to stand in front of them. And remember for over 200 years our military men and women have been fighting to protect your right to worship how and where you please, to speak how and where you please, and in some cases, like yours, to be just as uninformed as you say the others on here are. I am a disabled vet, I wear my scars, inside and out, with pride. My husband is a vet, my brother is a vet, several of my uncles and cousins are vets. Any of us would proudly take up arms and defend our country and your right to free speech again. No one likes this war but we would much rather fight it over there and don't for one minute think that if we up and left over there it would not be over here.

February 8, 2011 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
      • Montana Army Mom

How did you feel on 9/11? My son volunteered so others would still have a choice. My husband also served in the Army.

February 8, 2011 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
      • AmericanFL

Wow wudlyk2know, you drive an American made electric car?!? That's awesome, how about you get over yourself and start respecting the people who defend us against extremists. Oh that's right you think that if we ignore them they will go away. Great job!

February 8, 2011 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dave

Because they signed up to serve and protect us so we can post goofy crap on this web site...uncensored.

February 8, 2011 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
      • WudLyk2know

And Afghanistan is trying to limit our use of the internet in what way?

February 8, 2011 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
      • Dave

Meaning we do not have to go do the military's job, that is for the soldiers to do why we sit here and do this.....We are here safe at home.

February 8, 2011 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
      • amarinewife

@WudLyk2know: Why are you so ignorant? Just respect and support the men and women who risk their lives to protect ungreatful strangers like you. People like you make me sick. If you can't stand behind our troops then please do us all a favor and stand in front of them.

February 8, 2011 at 7:57 pm | Report abuse |
      • salerno

amarinewife – your challenge is a violent one, but when your relatives die you cry.....

February 15, 2011 at 8:35 am | Report abuse |
    • Craig

Because they joined the Marines.

February 8, 2011 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • WudLyk2know

UNCLE! You truly can't fix stupid.

February 8, 2011 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Janet

I thought that after an incident in WWII that so many family members in a single unit was not allowed. I seem to recall my father saying something about all 5 brothers dying when their ship was sunk. And no, I don't think they should be given preferential treatment. After all, they VOLUNTEERED to serve in the military.

Being in the military does mean sending people into harm's way. That's what they do! Don't you know this by now??This country would not be free otherwise. You have the luxury of thinking such nonsense because of those who served and are currently serving being in harm's way for YOUR FREEDOM/

For those who help protect me and my country: THANK YOU!

February 11, 2011 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
  99. midnitejax

I was under the impression that the military wouldn't allow brothers to serve together after the Sullivan brothers perished together on a naval ship during WW2? I believe all 5 died on the same ship sinking.

February 8, 2011 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Krista

It's true, my older brothers' father was serving in Viettnam in the Marines and when they found out his younger brother was in the same country (also in the Marines), they gave their father his papers to leave (unfortunately he was killed the same day).

February 8, 2011 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mel

I think it's only in the case that there are no other sons in the family to carry on the name. But, I won't swear to that.

February 8, 2011 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
      • midnitejax

You are absolutely correct. It's called the Sole Survivor doctrine.....I beleive.

February 8, 2011 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
      • Montana Army Mom

At the time of the Sullivan's soldiers were drafted. Today this is a volunteer Army. My only son, who is the only one to carry on our family name, is with the 82nd Airborne at Fort Bragg. He had done one tour in Iraq.

February 8, 2011 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • USN CPO

Ql: What is the Navy's policy on brothers serving in the same ship?

A2: Brothers or members of the same family may serve in the same ship following approval of their request to do so by the Commander Naval Military Personnel Command so long as the ship is not in a hostile fire area. The member requesting assignment to a ship in which his immediate family member is serving must sign the following statement, "I voluntarily request assignment to duty with (relationship and name of other member) and do not anticipate submitting a request for transfer or separation in the near future."

The brother, or other member of the immediate family requesting the assignment must meet certain conditions for the duty requested, such as a need for his rating in the ship, sufficient time remaining in his enlistment and other eligibility requirements for the transfer.

Q2: Was this policy different during Vietnam?

A2: The policy has remained essentially the same since 1942.

Since that time approval for such assignments has been required from the appropriate assignment control authority at the headquarters level. Each approval has been accompanied by a statement of understanding which is signed by the member seeking the voluntary assignment.

Q3: In the event of war, do sole surviving sons on active duty have a deferment from combat operations?

A3: Not automatically. When the Chief of Naval Personnel approves an enlisted member's request that he/she be designated a sole surviving son/daughter a limited duty designator is assigned. Commanders delegated control of enlisted personnel shall ensure that members under their distribution control who are so designated are assigned to duties not involving combat. This is not intended to preclude their assignment to overseas commands where combat conditions do not exist. The member may submit a request to have the designator removed and sign a statement, "I hereby waive my right, as a sole surviving son/daughter, of assignment to noncombat duty

February 8, 2011 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
      • Papa Kilo 15er

Thanks for clarifying that for everyone Chief.

February 8, 2011 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
      • USN CPO

Anytime Marine!

February 8, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
      • Gina Faulk

How amazing and wonderful these young men and their families are and I pray they all return safely home. Thank you for clarifying military policy. My mind was going back to the 5 Sullivan brothers in WWII who all died on the same ship. I was under the impression that the military stopped allowing members of the same family to serve in the same combat zone. My husband served at the same US Military Base and then in Da Nang and his brother at Chu Lai in Vietnam. It was so hard on their mom. She only had the two boys but they would not hear of a deferment. I am proud of our military – not just those who are fighting now but those who fought so long and hard in Vietnam. Semper Fi from a proud former military wife.

February 8, 2011 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • SHERRY

Actually, four of my uncles served on a naval ship during the Korean war together. It made our local newspaper as a big deal.

February 8, 2011 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ciara

I thought this as well. I thank all of these families for their service but I think it is a bad practice to keep families together on the front lines.

February 8, 2011 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
      • Dindy..

Ciara .I also agree.

February 9, 2011 at 3:46 am | Report abuse |
    • Muttling

As has been noted, it's not so simple and siblings serve together all the time. There was even a father-son in a battalion that I was assigned to. There is a selective service rule that says the survivor of a parent who died in combat isn't required to register for the draft during peace time, this rule is suspended during times of war (WWII was the last declared war.) There is a tradition (not an official rule) of relocating the last remaining sibling to a non-combat post when all of his other siblings have died in service. In short, the military wants to take the last living son out of combat if all of his brothers have died. However, this gets complex and is more of a guideline than a rule. Everything today is a volunteer military, we're not in a declared war, and none of the siblings mentioned above have died. Brothers can serve in combat together as can fathers and sons. Sisters and mothers can serve as well, but can't be assigned to certain combat positions such as infantry.

February 8, 2011 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
  100. Peter

Rangers lead the way.

February 8, 2011 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Papa Kilo 15er

Peter no offense man, but this story is about the Marines. As a 3 tour vet to the Raq, I saw many brothers and even a brother sister serving, as one was a nurse, the other in infantry, so it happens. Keep your six clear, check your corners, stay out of los, and get some. Charllie Mike and Ooh Rah! Semper Fi.

February 8, 2011 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
      • Clayton

@ Joe... you're a tool man. GTFO this forum. Throw your hippie ass off a bridge. I don't care.

February 8, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
      • TexMarine2254

Well said Papa Kilo . . . Semper Fi and keep attacking!

February 8, 2011 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
      • soldier mon

God bless their mothers, 2X the worry and God bless thier families. As proud as they are of their sons they will each time they hear about an attack or a death from the war their heart will skip a beat and they will wait always wait for thier return. My prayer is that God will bring them back to their families safely. Please let them stay safe.

February 8, 2011 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
      • jdog707

Billy, you are seriously wrong. Our military is about 4 million strong and the college attending population is over 20 million strong. Brainwashed society? Check your facts. Most join the military because of tradition and love for their country. Something you don't seem to display much of. Democracy in Iraq and Afghanistan... yeah, what a failure these wars have been. Semper Fi Papa Kilo and Tex Marine

February 8, 2011 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
      • jdog707

How enlightening you are, Billy. You are just so above it all that none of us could possibly know we are brainwashed. Free us all. You probably never walked a mile in a soldier's boots but hell, that doesn't stop you from making stuff up.

February 8, 2011 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
      • USMC79

@billy
        Hey retard if that's how you feel about our brothers and sisters serving then I suggest you go back to what ever third world country you came from. The only reason you moved to America is to exploit it anyway right? As far as your comment about "how would we like it if Iraqis invaded our country" that would NEVER happen because of the same brothers and sisters who serve to protect this country. Anyone can be a tough guy behind the keyboard but I bet my life you wouldn't talk like that to a service member's face you pu$$y!

February 8, 2011 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
      • S. Studenberg

What I want to know, is what military genious put 5 pair of brothers in the same platoon in a war zone. Don`t they want to avoid causing pain to 5 families in case of an incident, and have 5 families affected by wounded or killed Marines. Bunch of morons, USMC should have separated the brothers to different units. With few exceptions, our armed forces are run by ninnies. Do they let the Prez, the Veep and the Secretary of defense take the same plane, no sireebob. The 5 pairs of brothers are just Marines, not as important as the big cheeses. What a load of crap.

February 8, 2011 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
      • DrFunkes100%NaturalGoodTimeFamilyBandSolution

@S. Studenberg
        I find it hilariously ironic that you spelled the word "genius" wrong.

February 8, 2011 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse |
      • Nice

"Brothers or members of the same family may serve in the same ship following approval of their request to do so by the Commander Naval Military Personnel Command so long as the ship is not in a hostile fire area." But join the marines. 5 sets of brothers can be deployed to the front lines in the same battalion.

February 8, 2011 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
      • LarryKegel(US Army)

We had the same thing in Vietnam... Infect today all the Brothers take care of each other even what War You Fought In!!!

February 9, 2011 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shamrock6

Ha ha! Right on Army Doggie. The rangers are definitely the army's finest Marines. Ooh rah brothers. Semper Fi.

February 8, 2011 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
      • Ranger Ed

You legs wish you were in the 75th Ranger Regiment!

February 8, 2011 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
      • carlinism

To all that served in the military.I just want to thank you for your service,whatever capacity it might have been. I tried to join myself,but they found out my folks were married and wouldn't let me in.(lol) OK,I was just kidding you serious donkeys.Everybody in my family is military.Air Force and Army. I'll tell you the truth,If a person spends his 20 to 31 years in the military he deserves his retirement. Father (20),brother (23) uncle (31), friend ( bought out at (18) ....The problem
        is the military welfare program that costs billions. I don't know a military retired that is not also on disability. They don't need the money, they take it because as one said " I can always use the money ." The Old Man is hard of hearing from Vietnam.I think he would be hard of hearing at his age anyhow. 100% disability added to his retirement check .(Sweet! But it's not right). Brother (45 years old ) 50 % disability added to his retirement and he runs 5 miles a day and works another full time job at the Prison.Friend bought out early. 18 wears in the military and you let them buy you out early and loss your retirement.(Well sorta ) He still gets a 100% disability check. Military retirees talk to each other and tell each other about the military welfare.Then the next one runs and gets it. I just hope they don't cut the military budget. It is 15 times the size of the nearest country we consider a threat. If they cut the budget, the gravy train can't keep rolling in.Now you know you wouldn't turn it down if they gave you a government handout like this one. Unfortunately it smells like the civilian welfare programs in this country. Like the Illegal aliens that come to America because the welfare system is so easy to rip off. The military welfare system is a lot easier to rip off. OOPS! Now you know a dirty little military family secret that is repeated by military families across America over and over again.

February 8, 2011 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
      • George Patton

I wish that you right-wing idiots would just shut up!!!!

February 8, 2011 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
      • Shamrock6

Who gave this jerk a right use my name here.CNN? Shame on you!!! I never post any right-wing mumbo-jumbo!!!

February 8, 2011 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • George

Joe – There are plenty of countries in this world in which you never would have been able to post anything against the government. You just happen to live in one where the people actually have rights. And those rights are defended by the same men and women you chose to bash and belittle. You have little clue as to what this world would be like if it were not for the men and women of the United States Armed Forces. We would have been Nazi or Communist a long time ago. If we did not defeat the enemy on their turf, we would certainly see them on our turf. If we do not defend our smaller allies, we would be without the resources we take so for granted. So as you post your anti-American rant, thank a soldier for putting his or her life on the line so that you can. Semper Fi!!

February 8, 2011 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
      • okap4397

Tell me how the military is "defending Freedom" or "defending America"? We haven't had to defend this country since the War of 1812, and even then we were the ones who declared war.

February 8, 2011 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
      • Dollarbill

I don't mind people being supporters of our troops but please stop all that we stopped the Nazis and communist. The only communist we fought were the Koreas (Chinese) and Vietnemese in their country. Read yur history books, the Soviets defeated the Germans, all we did is mop up.

As a forner Marine I know these kids are doing what they are told. It's our leaders who have gotten us into this mess and when people keep sending fools to Washingotn, this is what you get.

Get sum guys as we said, we are being paid to kill so let's make business good.

February 8, 2011 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
      • George

You obviously don't know your history very well. It was a strong defense that brought the cold war to an end and toppled a few eastern block countries back in the 80's. And we did it without any bloodshed. I was there for that. Helped bring up the nuclear weapons capability and take it back down when the need was gone. The military does not need to fight and bleed and die in order to win a battle. Some of you really show your ignorance.

February 8, 2011 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
      • Echo

Blah Blah "defending"... I love our freedoms, but your lame excuses to justify government sanctioned violence is disgusting. How about a less aggressive foreign policy approach?

February 8, 2011 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
      • Dhruv

Completely agree with you George !! I moved to the states 4 years ago and I feel that the military is trying to safeguard us by putting their lives for us.... It's beyond any sacrifice .... thank you for putting a befitting reply !!

February 8, 2011 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
      • jake

okap forgot about pearl harbor lol

February 8, 2011 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
      • Carl

@okap4397: Ever hear of WW1 and WW2? You would be speaking German now without our military defending your parents and grandparents. Without the deterrence of our military and the brilliance of our scientists in subsequent years, we would all be speaking Russian. Get rid of our fine soldiers now and sharia will be the law of the land for your children and their "education" will consist of memorizing the Koran in its native Arabic.

February 8, 2011 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
      • LarryKegel(US Army)

The only reason why We declare war against anyone is if They attack us are try to take Our rights from us!!! We are a Free People Country and are willing to fight to keep that Freedom!!!

February 9, 2011 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kym

My children's father served his 2nd tour in Iraq in 07-08 with 3 of his 6 brothers. Their mother tried to have them recognized for their bravery and committment to their country but no one seemed to care. So...to whom ever cares...Daniel Rodriguez, Luis Rodriguez, Felipe Rodriguezm and Rueben Rodriguez...all originally of Texas and raised Jehovah's Witnesses....all served in Bagdhad together.

February 8, 2011 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
      • HonJ

WHO AA Kym to your brothers. They are true American heroes. We thank them for their service to their country.

February 8, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
      • George

Thank you for their service. Many of us care!!

February 8, 2011 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
      • Erica D.

MANY THANKS!!!!

February 8, 2011 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
      • Carl

Kym, a lot more people care than you will ever know about! Thank you for your family's noble service.

February 8, 2011 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
      • LarryKegel(US Army)

dollar bill: We deserve the right to talk about it as much as it takes to get Idiots like You to understand what We were fighting for!!! If You don't like it go place with the other Children are join the Service and become a man!!!

February 9, 2011 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse |
      • LarryKegel(US Army)

May GOD watch over all Our Troops that are out there protecting Us from losing Our Freedoms!!! May They All Come HOME Safely... Amen!!!

February 9, 2011 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • aatami

Hmmmm....seems like a disaster looking for a place to happen.

February 8, 2011 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
      • Wzrd1

I see this story and have heard of other brothers serving together and I think that the DoD has forgotten the mess of the Sullivan brothers from WWII.

February 8, 2011 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • yoohoo88

All the way to sick bay!

February 8, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
      • LarryKegel(US Army)

Wzrd: We haven't forgotten anyone that fought before us!!! They are the ones that keeps those of Us that has to fight keep fighting... Unless You were in the Military You can not tell what it is like having to depend on Your Brothers!!! You don't care what They are but tht They have Your back...

February 9, 2011 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • donb

I trained as a Aemy Ranger many years ago and am proud of it. I also recognize any Ranger Unit of the US military as the finest fighting group and trained to do what war is al labout. I thought the Military had a regulation that "brothers" would not serve in th same organization nor be stationed in the same outfit. This regulation came to be when the 4 Sullivan brothers in the US Navy, in WW2 all perished while being stationed on the same warship.

February 8, 2011 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
      • Muttling

...Many years ago I couldn't even spell Army soldier, now I are one.

February 8, 2011 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse |
      • LarryKegel(US Army)

They do not allow real Brothers to be in the same outfit!!! But Everyone in Your outfit turns out to be Your Brothers when You are fighting with Them... Because You depend on Them more than You can depend on Your real Family!!!

February 9, 2011 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Geri

Bless you all and you will all be in my prayers for a safe return. My father was in world war 2 with four brothers at the same time but not always together. One brother was lost in Korea. Very difficult for my grandmother. Was a comfort to the brothers when they were together hard when he was lost. I never got to meet him! Thank you all ..

February 8, 2011 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
      • LarryKegel(US Army)

Of all My real Family only Me and Two Cousins were in the Military... But I lose a lot of My Brothers in the Vietnam War!!! They were as much as a lost as My real Family when They passed away...

February 9, 2011 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dana

Seeing the posts on here disheartens me. I too was not in support of these wars, even being a New Yorker after 9/11 I knew these wars would be much longer than a year or two and it just saddened me to see friends face numerous tours, and seeing horrific things.

After knowing several men and women who have served in both Afghanistan and Iraq and speaking to them on their service- my mentality has changed a bit. No war is good- losing young men and women is a tragedy- but our soldiers believe what they are doing is not in vain. Unfortunately the media does little to help Americans see what is being done in these countries- other than the 5 min reel of how many dead, bombings etc. Our servicemen and women are contributing something to bringing education, agriculture and structure to these countries- all-be-it a slow process indeed...but a process none the less.

Don't martar yourselves for jobs our soldiers joined the Armed Forces to do... don't say you are against the war for them- because they will tell you- they do this job for YOU!

God Bless our Soldiers!!

February 8, 2011 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
      • Jessica Leisenring

Excellent post Dana. Our military deserves all the support we can give them. We don't have to agree with the war to support our troops. They are doing their job and doing it for the people of the US, not for any political reason. God bless our troops and come home safe!

February 8, 2011 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
      • Dindy..

Very well written Dana ...Thank you..

February 8, 2011 at 7:55 pm | Report abuse |
      • LarryKegel(US Army)

Those that fought fought with Pride and those that survive feel the guilt of coming home alive!!! That is the hard part of it...

February 9, 2011 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • MAMA CAT

I have the honor of knowing Joshua Beans. And we here in Tampa are very proud of him. OORRRAAAHHH Beans

February 8, 2011 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
      • George Patton

Oh SHUT UP!!!!

February 8, 2011 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike

I guess the history behind the "Sullivan Brothers" did not sink in here? No pun intended.

February 8, 2011 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse |
      • Wzrd1

That was my very first thought when I saw the headline.
        I guess that the DoD is too stupid to remember those regulations and WHY they came to be.
        When an entire family was wiped from the face of the Earth by one enemy action.

February 8, 2011 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
      • LarryKegel(US Army)

Did anyone ever see the movie (Saving Private Ryan??? ) It was a moving that tells the whole story!!!

February 9, 2011 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • USMCREDHAT

JDOG707...Amen brother! Im tired of these pencil pushing DB's talking like they know whats happening over there, if you havent put on the uniform and served in combat keep your mouth shut because it is something you will never understand! Semper Fi Devil Dogs and God bless each and everyone of you!

February 8, 2011 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sean C

I hope someone can help me with my question. I thought that the military had the rule that families couldnt serve in the save unit because of what happened with the Fighting Sullivans? Did they suspened that rule or because of the size of a batallion they figure that it works out?

February 8, 2011 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • USMCJohn

@S. Studenberg. You are not authorized to respond to any other posts regarding the military. You and the rest of the hippie liberal brigade just don't know enough about the military to pass judgement in anyway, shape or form. Please keep your mouth shut so that you don't embarrass yourself further.

February 8, 2011 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
      • Mark

Actually yes we CAN respond to anything we want; I would never disrespect your service Marine, but dont you dare disrespect us for being civilian – you report to us, not the other around – and dont forget it either.

February 8, 2011 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse |
      • Keith

@ Mark,
        Are you serious? They report to you? Shut your mouth!

February 8, 2011 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse |