January 6th, 2011

U.S. official: 1,400 more Marines to Afghanistan

The United States plans to send about 1,400 more Marines to Afghanistan, a U.S. military official told CNN Thursday.

The Marines will support the expansion of its security efforts in southern Afghanistan, and they will be on the ground for only a few months, the official said.

"We intend to keep the pressure on the Taliban throughout the winter and take advantage of the security gains already achieved," the official said.

Southern regions such as Kandahar and Helmand provinces have long been major fronts in the war against the Taliban.

Post by:
Filed under: Troops
  1. franzpc

I don't believe that is a solution, better control their people.

January 10, 2011 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |
  2. ky marine mom

amen texas mom right there with you...........as for the rest of you.............we should all be thankful, despite the decisions the government makes and where they send these kids, that they are willing to fight for your country – not drafted to do so – but make their own decisions to do so despite what they may lose, possibliy their own lives.........

January 9, 2011 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

These guys are there because they want to be,not because they need to be there. This war has nothing to do with national security nor with any of our rights or freedoms. The MIC(military-industrial-complex) just wants get their hands on Afghanistan's mineral resources and that's it in a nutshell.

January 9, 2011 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
      • Sanity

Good posting,John. Thank you.

January 9, 2011 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
      • Dan in Lafayette, IN

Like I said above phony boy why don't you post under your real name?

January 9, 2011 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • :)

god bless and good luck to our boys/ women over there hope they all come home safe.
      USMC girlfriend🙂

January 9, 2011 at 10:23 pm | Report abuse |
      • John

Just cut the right-wing mumbo-jumbo,will you? It makes me sick!

January 10, 2011 at 4:59 am | Report abuse |
      • Dan in Lafayette, IN

Then don't read the blog! This war is not a political one but one that was started by terrorists that killed 3000 American lives! I guess you do not care that Islamic extremists have declared war on us and you think we should just sit back and let them attack the western world with impunity! Are you a wussy or what?

January 10, 2011 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
      • :)

the only thing that should matter are our troops coming home safe.

January 10, 2011 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Texas Marine Mom

God speed, my son & my heart. Be safe. I love you. I know you'll see this since you sent me this link to tell me where you'd be.

January 9, 2011 at 8:53 am | Report abuse |
    • Dan in Lafayette, IN

May God be with your son Texas Marine Mom and all our men and women fighting these Anti-Christ Islamic extremists in Jesus' Name I pray Amen.

January 9, 2011 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
      • Dan in Lafayette, IN

Soory folks,I never posted the above. I'm a Christian and as such,I oppose this obscene war and the wanton taking of human lives to exploit Afghanistan's mineral resources. We have a moral obligation to get out of there.

January 9, 2011 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
      • Dan in Lafayette, IN

Excuse me folks,I meant to say Sorry,not Soory in the above post.

January 9, 2011 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
      • Dan in Lafayette, IN

Phony boy if you were Christian you would not be using other peoples name to make a point and your point is wrong because for one we did not know that there were any mineral resources in Afghanistan when we went in and two we will not take any when we leave! We went in to get those who attacked us on 9/11 and those who harbored them and now there is a government there that wants our help to kill or capture the Taliban and it's terrorist allies let alone most of the people want our help also! So this war is a humanitarian one that pits good(NATO)against evil(Islamic extremists)!

January 9, 2011 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Yak-o-boy_Says

I like to (propogate) my sheep from be(hind).

January 7, 2011 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dan in Lafayette, IN

Why can't you use your own name phony boy?

January 9, 2011 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  5. JD

John, u are a idiot.....

January 7, 2011 at 8:27 am | Report abuse |
    • Bledsoe

I wouldn't say that. John is one of most sensible bloggers here unlike these other idiots who keep touting this stupid war!

January 7, 2011 at 10:21 am | Report abuse |
      • Dan in Lafayette, IN

All you people who think that we should not do all we can to stop these Anti-Christ Islamic extremists just wait until the great tribulation and you'll be asking yourselves why we did not do more to stop these fanatics!

January 7, 2011 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
      • Dan in Lafayette, IN

Oh so now Islam is not going to rule the world, huh?

January 7, 2011 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Andrew Lubin

Jk i posted all of the ones with Andrew Lubin on it

January 6, 2011 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Don Parrotte

God Bless the U.S. Marines! If only the "Commander in Chief" had let them finish the job in Iraq! If anyone believes the U.S. "won" in Iraq, just ask an Iraqui Christian!

NOLATiger46

January 6, 2011 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jerry

Actually Don,we had no right to invade and take over Iraq. I say,leave Iraq for the Iraqis and let them decide their own future and not us!!!

January 6, 2011 at 7:44 pm | Report abuse |
      • Sanity

Don't worry that may happen sooner than you think. The Iraq government wants all US/Coalition troops out of Iraq by December 2011. I think we should listen, things aren't great in Iraq yet, but it certainly is further along than in Afghanistan.

January 7, 2011 at 9:02 am | Report abuse |
    • mcmurdo proud military fiance

I agree with you Don P , go US MARINES go , if we had guts then we would go , I know if I was able I would like to work with the injured people of afghanistan that would be a great experience but no I dont think so

January 7, 2011 at 2:15 am | Report abuse |
      • John

Just when are you people going to learn that there's absolutely no glory in this obnoxious war? This country's only going to villify itself with all this needless bloodshed. All this naivety gets old.

January 7, 2011 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
      • Dan in Lafayette, IN

Good post,John. I totally agree with you. There is no glory nor any sense either, in this obscene war no matter what this mcmurdo says.

January 7, 2011 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
      • Dan in Lafayette, IN

I am also proud of your fiance and hope he returns safely to you mcmurdo as I am proud of all of our military! These people are fighting the worse of mankind and doing a good job, THANK YOU TO ALL OF NATO AND THEIR FAMILIES!

January 7, 2011 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
  8. The Gunny

So Andrew and John, you think that's a stupid statement about the Marines? Why don't you 2 just get a room and keep your liberal crap to yourself. You can come out when you realize that if we weren't in countries like that, they'd be in ours.

Semper-fi Marines, I'll be seeing you soon!

January 6, 2011 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • future Marine

oohrah!

January 6, 2011 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

This is the exact kind of thinking that led to the rise of Nazism in Germany back in 1933! When will people ever learn???

January 6, 2011 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • :)

go Gunny!!!! good luck and be safe to all those who go!!!!

January 7, 2011 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Riza Afghan

Boom😛

As far as i know, US won't leave AFG at any cost.
    Taliban and Pakistan will be very disappointed with this act.

Taliban thinks US will leave AFG after few hours, they can dream only😉

Stupid Pakistani terrorists.

January 6, 2011 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Andrew Lubin

Sending the best to get it done – Get Some, Marines!

January 6, 2011 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
    • Andrew Lubin

Sorry folks,I didn't post that stupid statement above. It looks like Phunnie boy's at it again!

January 6, 2011 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
      • John

He does the same thing to me too,Andrew. I believe you not making that idiotic statement above and agree with you in the fact that we have no right to be in Afghaistan.

January 6, 2011 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
      • future Marine

we do have the right as well as the duty to protect our ally in israel.

January 6, 2011 at 7:30 pm | Report abuse |