January 5th, 2011

Skateboard school ramps up Afghan dreams

CNN first visited Skateistan two years ago, after two Australian skateboarders started Afghanistan's first and only skateboarding school in Kabul.

Recently, CNN's Arwa Damon revisted the skate park, where it's grown beyond just skateboarding.

"We're trying to create opportunities for our students, which means we want to educate them through activities we do in the classroom," Deputy Director Max Henninger says.  That includes art classes, English lessons, a girls' journalism course, a disabled class and a critical "Back to School" program to help children from impoverished families enroll or re-enroll into public schools.

Read the full story from CNN's Arwa Damon

Filed under: Life and Culture
  1. pluppyWeilkiz

hello,

i need windows xp key please

http://www.world-tents.net/ – عالم الخيم

September 26, 2011 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  2. jasonlee99

whats wrong with you!!!!!

March 29, 2011 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
  3. jasonlee99

whats wrong with you!!!!!!1

March 29, 2011 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
  4. bob

go larry

March 18, 2011 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  5. thronn

this is amazing, cute little gilrs.skate or die

February 1, 2011 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |
  6. jasonlee99

I THINK THIS PICTURE DOESN'T LOOK REAL. IT LOOKS LIKE ameris' KIDS PLAYIN', NOT AFGHANS..

January 14, 2011 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • The Prophet Mohammed

I agree, I didn't see any suicide vests or suicide boards.

January 15, 2011 at 3:14 am | Report abuse |
  7. LarryKegel(US Army)

If they just let those that are good at it!!! Know one would get hurt... My Nephew won the Skateboard Tournament here in Calif.!!! You have to qualify to get into it!!!

January 8, 2011 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
  8. tim

make better ramp lern how to ride be one with the bord

January 7, 2011 at 11:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • LarryKegel(US Army)

Will You Please Quit Putting Words Into My Mouth!!!

January 8, 2011 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
  9. RSAT4

" Hey look" thats how we skate, stop worrying about your family I killed. Hey I even forgotten, I got your mother's hand in my locker in washington dc(millitary complex). Keep on skating while I am fixing my mulfunctioning m16 and it is good in killing woman and children since they are non moving targets.

Take this skateboard with you and everytime you miss your mom and dad that I killed; just skate. Killing your parents was the best I can do so that I can be called a hero at home(USA). You know only Israelis and americans are humanbeen, the rest are flies. Thats a reason no matter how many we can kill, our gavernment wil not say anything. Look what we did in Vietnam, Iraq and check what we are doing in PK and AFG. Our target is to kill millions and we have even design a civillian killing machines called Drones, you see these drones are good in killing mass of civillians. Do you disagree? look how many we have killed since last month not including those who were not reported. Remember this are not humanbeen but flies because they not Americans and Israelis.

January 7, 2011 at 6:18 am | Report abuse |
    • Andrew Lubin

Beautifully put,RSAT4. We need more bloggers like you instead of all these ignorant warmongers here!!!

January 7, 2011 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |
      • LarryKegel(US Army)

I totally agree to that,Andrew. Thank you.

January 7, 2011 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
    • LarryKegel(US Army)

Look how the Olympics has made things different in the World!!! If They can make Skateboarding work to... Don't You think things could still get better yet??? I couldn't hurt to try!!!

January 8, 2011 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
    • steve

So... not to claim you didn't/can't read the article, but... I what I took away from it was:
      point 1) the camp was put together by two Australians (flies?) not Americans
      point 2) as best as I could tell they weren't military (could be wrong but... feel free to correct)
      point 3) this comment has no point, you've obviously formed your opinion – in a war people die. I am as sad about the civilian deaths in Afghanastan as I am about the people who died in 9/11, Pearl Harbor, Vietnam (civilians and soldiers), Korea (civilians and soldiers) and the list goes on...

signed
      A simple 'ignorant, arrogant ... (insert whatever negative adjective you wish) american that is powerless over their government's rash responses to a handful of people who flew some planes into some buildings a few years back that does feel sympathetic towards all of those that are unfortunately put in harms way as a result of said handful of people and said government, wishes them nothing but good thoughts and hopes that they can filter out and rid themselves of the elements of their society that brought on my governments response so that everyone can get on with life (and skateboarding if they want to)

the point is
      anyone who honestly thinks that their ethnic group are the only humans and others are flies (or simply lesser humans) is psychotic
      anyone who truly believes that all americans believe that they are the only 'humans' is either ignorant (if this is the case I find no fault) or simply inciting negativity(for some reason I find this more likely in this particular case)

January 8, 2011 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
    • MikeC

Educate yourself.

January 8, 2011 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • The Prophet Mohammed

@ RSAT4- First of all, you are an idiot and certainly do not belong in America- get out! Second, the US military really does not use M16's anymore they use the M4 for the most part. Go back to Pakistan you ungrateful imbecile.
      I do hope this skateboard park has nothing to do with US taxpayers dollars because I honestly do not care what the kids in Kabul have for entertainment. I would rather see our dollars being "wasted" on feeding, clothing, educating, building industry and basically ensuring our children (Soldiers) do not have to return in 10 or 20 years. If the kids in Kabul need a hobby- teach them how to fish- that feeds families; I do not care if Afghanistan will be competing in the Olympics or the X- games next year, I just don't care. Fish on Baby!
      The Prophet has spoken.

January 9, 2011 at 1:34 am | Report abuse |
    • AX44

There is something seriously wrong with you. You sound like you need medication.

July 21, 2011 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  10. LarryKegel(US Army)

If some type of Sport can help make PEACE I'm 100 Percent For It!!!

January 6, 2011 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • The Prophet Mohammed

Fishing is a "reel" sport, and a real peaceful once at that. Fish on baby!

January 15, 2011 at 3:13 am | Report abuse |
  11. framitz

So the privileged few get special treatment. How is this of any benefit to the country?

I see this as self serving BS and nothing more.

January 6, 2011 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Andrew Lubin

I agree with you,framitz. That's exactly what it is!!!

January 6, 2011 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
      • LarryKegel(US Army)

And I completely agree with both of you,Andrew and framitz. Thank you.

January 6, 2011 at 7:57 pm | Report abuse |
  12. MikeC

Nice to see a little bit of good news.

January 6, 2011 at 8:41 am | Report abuse |
  13. jasonlee99

GR....INGOS ARE F...KING MURDERERS AND KILLERS. SO THESE KIDS SHOULD ENJOY THE DAY IN THE SUN,WHILE IT LASTS...

January 6, 2011 at 5:33 am | Report abuse |
    • Andrew Lubin

Good posting,jasonlee99. I totally agree with you.

January 6, 2011 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
      • LarryKegel(US Army)

Of Course You Would You are Another Racist!!!

January 6, 2011 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • LarryKegel(US Army)

WILL YOU PLEASE TAKE YOUR CAP LOCK OFF!!! YOU ARE GIVING ME A HEADACHE WITH YOUR YELLING!!!

January 6, 2011 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nick

so you are saying the people NATO is combating don't kill innocent people?

January 10, 2011 at 11:43 pm | Report abuse |
      • The Prophet Mohammed

Sure, all terrorist are innocent once they are dead; isn't that how it works?

January 15, 2011 at 3:11 am | Report abuse |
  14. jasonlee99

GR...INGOS WILL KILL THEM TOMORROW ANYWAY, SO ENJOY THE DAY WHILE IT LASTS. THEY (GR....NGOS) EVEN KILL THEIR OWN CHILDREN, LET ALONE KIDS FROM THE COUNTRIES THEY OCCUPY.

January 6, 2011 at 5:32 am | Report abuse |
  15. mcmurdo proud military fiance

ok guys for once can we leave nato out of this, cant a kid be a kid at least for a little while, at least that is how i view it

January 5, 2011 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • jasonlee99

STUPID nato SHOULD GO TO HELL IN A HANDBASKET, ALONG WITH GR....INGOS...

January 6, 2011 at 5:37 am | Report abuse |
      • LarryKegel(US Army)

I rather have NATO than the UN anytime!!!

January 6, 2011 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
      • LarryKegel(US Army)

Sorry jasonlee99, Phunnie boy's impersonating me again! I agree with what you say.

January 6, 2011 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse |
  16. LarryKegel(US Army)

nato is a lot smarter than the UN is!!! At least They are on the winning side...

January 5, 2011 at 7:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bledsoe

Who says? We didn't win in Vietnam in spite of our vast superiority in firepower nor did we in Korea!

January 5, 2011 at 11:06 pm | Report abuse |
      • james

You said it,Bledsoe!

January 5, 2011 at 11:34 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Gary Johndro

YABBA-DABBA-DOO!!!

January 5, 2011 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bledsoe

YABBA-DABBA-DON'T!!! Anything to make NATO look good!

January 5, 2011 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |