November 22nd, 2010

119 candidates disqualified after parliamentary elections

A total of 119 candidates for the Afghan Parliament have been disqualified for different reasons since the September 18 elections for the lower house, an election commission spokesman told CNN.

Ahmad Zia Rafhat, spokesman for the Electoral Complaints Commission, said 94 candidates had been disqualified before the preliminary results were announced in October, and 25 candidates who successfully locked in their seats are now disqualified.

Rafhat said the candidates were disqualified for suspicion of involvement in fraud during the elections.

More than 330 polling stations have been declared invalid across the country, the spokesman said. More than 2,000 candidates were vying for 249 seats in the lower house of parliament.

- CNN's Matiullah Mati and Samson Desta contributed to this report.

Post by:
Filed under: Afghanistan elections
  1. nader

sorry there is a misetake there. just 19 was disqualified by afghan parlement, please read carefully.

November 24, 2010 at 6:29 am | Report abuse |
    • The Prophet Mohammed

25 candidates who successfully locked in their seats are now disqualified.
      25 + 94 = 119
      The corruption is widespread 330 Election Polls, Afghanistan is not that big of a country.

November 24, 2010 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
      • atal

Norm?

November 25, 2010 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
      • atal

Normal for them? why put our moral conventions upon them?

November 25, 2010 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
  2. The Prophet Mohammed

@ Dan in Lafayette, IN- Maybe you are not racist, but WE ARE ALL PREJUDICED, try my approach, I like to keep it simple, I just hate everyone.

November 24, 2010 at 2:17 am | Report abuse |
  3. The Prophet Mohammed

@ Larry- I DO:
    "The woods and waters of the outdoors became my church, a place where I could examine my thoughts and feel I was connected to all living things. This feeling is especially strong when, with rod in hand, I am wading a river for trout or salmon...where everything makes sense, where there is nothing but truth. There will be no disenchantment with this church."
    The Prophet has Spoken.

November 24, 2010 at 2:15 am | Report abuse |
  4. Honyak

You said it all there Prophet, "as you know.....this is Afghanistan."

November 24, 2010 at 1:04 am | Report abuse |
  5. The Prophet Mohammed

@ Larry, No one is disputing the corruption in the US and other countires but believe me, it pales in comparision to what is going on over here. A friend of mine has a daughter that was running for public office and he was told for $200,000 she would get elected, she didn't becuase her father doesn't have that kind of money. This is life in Afghanistan.

November 23, 2010 at 11:34 pm | Report abuse |
  6. LarryKegel(US Army)

My Friend Do You Have Any Real Religion???

November 23, 2010 at 10:48 pm | Report abuse |
  7. LarryKegel(US Army)

Everyone has the right to Their Beliefs!!! But the only True GOD i the GOD that the Jewish People PRAY to!!!

November 23, 2010 at 10:47 pm | Report abuse |
  8. LarryKegel(US Army)

Sanity: We don't understand Stupidity!!!

November 23, 2010 at 10:43 pm | Report abuse |
  9. LarryKegel(US Army)

Corruption is not only in the Muslin World!!! I doubt it there is a Country in the World that doesn't have Corruption in Their Politics... Look at all of the Corruption in the United State today!!! How the Rich is keeping the rest of The Country Poor...

November 23, 2010 at 10:37 pm | Report abuse |
  10. The Prophet Mohammed

@ Collin- There are no Hindus in Afghanistan? Are you sure. I just bought a really nice Kashmir sweater and I'm pretty sure it's authentic. I know the Paakis don't have anything nice like that so I presume the guy who sold it to me was Indian, what do you recommend, should I take the sweater back?

November 23, 2010 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
  11. Dan in Lafayette, IN

Any Muslim who would throw an ak47 around his shoulder or plant IED's along the roadside in Afghanistan or plant bombs inside of mosques or put on suicide vests to kill as many of nonbelievers or Muslims who do not believe in their extreme views is not a peace loving person but a man filled with hatred and willing to act out on that hatred who will also be thrown into the fiery pit for eternity!

November 22, 2010 at 10:28 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Bledsoe

Cut the right-wing mumbo-jumbo,will you Sanity? It does get old or are you Phunnie boy blogging yet under another name?

November 22, 2010 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |