A total of 119 candidates for the Afghan Parliament have been disqualified for different reasons since the September 18 elections for the lower house, an election commission spokesman told CNN.
Ahmad Zia Rafhat, spokesman for the Electoral Complaints Commission, said 94 candidates had been disqualified before the preliminary results were announced in October, and 25 candidates who successfully locked in their seats are now disqualified.
Rafhat said the candidates were disqualified for suspicion of involvement in fraud during the elections. FULL POST
An upcoming military review of the war in Afghanistan is not expected to result in any major changes in U.S. strategy, Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Adm. Mike Mullen said Sunday.
In an interview with CNN's "State of the Union" program, Mullen said the U.S.-led international force has "started to make progress" in its mission to prevent Afghanistan from becoming a safe haven for international terrorist groups.
However, Mullen described the progress so far as "fragile." He cited the training of Afghanistan forces to take over security responsibilities as an area in which progress has occurred but challenges remain.
The military review is due in December, a year after President Barack Obama ordered additional U.S. troops to Afghanistan as part of a strategy that would see some forces coming home as soon as July 2011. FULL POST