November 19th, 2010

Biden: 'Take the training wheels off' in Afghanistan

While defending the military surge in Afghanistan after eight years of what he termed "neglect," Vice President Joe Biden said Thursday that Afghan leaders could soon be left on their own, whether they're ready or not.

"We had to say, 'Look, you've got to step up, man,'" Biden said Thursday on CNN's "Larry King Live."

"Let me tell you, we're going to start - Daddy is going to start to take the training wheels off ... next July, so you'd better practice riding."

Biden said that President Barack Obama charged him with reexamining the Afghan conflict soon after coming into office, and since then U.S.-led forces have made "significant progress against al Qaeda." He said that U.S. forces and officials have done a great deal to help the Afghan government under President Hamid Karzai, including working with Afghans to improve their governance and security capabilities.

Read the full story

Filed under: Biden • Decision: Afghanistan • Obama
  1. Dindy.....

People out side states having difficulties understanding American English and accent as I do too sometimes . This big daddy talk is one of that. Please guys...this is just a word. Think about all other good things as we all know there are some for the Afghanistan. MOVE ON...DO NOT GET STUCK WITH ONE OR TWO WORDS . This gentleman is not too young and elder to us. Take it easy. Dont make another war over it.

November 27, 2010 at 9:36 am | Report abuse |
  2. JayMG

I have never agreed more with a Democrat's comments than I have with Vice President Biden's on the situation in Afghanistan! Wow, am I impressed!

Hamid Karzai has been talking out of both sides of his mouth for a long time! In my opinion President Karzai's comments are often insulting to the many US led forces young men and women who have lost their lives defending his incestuous Afghanistan from al Qaeda and the Taliban. Be careful what you might wish for President Karzai! According to Vice President Biden, you may be soon getting your wish! When your Afghan security forces take over and the US led forces begin to leave your country as you have always wanted are you going to feel safe and secure?

November 24, 2010 at 1:03 am | Report abuse |
  3. LarryKegel(US Army)

Lieberman calls North Korea a âCrazy Regimeâ
    Israel National News Tue, 23 Nov 2010 08:20 AM PST
    Follow Israel news on and . Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman called the North Korean regime âcrazyâ following its bombing of military installation on a South Korean Island 57 years after an armistice that ended the three years of fighting between North and South Korean War.

November 23, 2010 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  4. LarryKegel(US Army)

Palestinians Criticize Israeli Land Bill
    Voice of America Tue, 23 Nov 2010 08:21 AM PST
    Parliament passes bill that would make it difficult for Israel to withdraw from captured territories of East Jerusalem or Golan Heights

November 23, 2010 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  5. LarryKegel(US Army)

That We surly don't need!!! The Countries has to start talking PEACE with each other!!!

November 23, 2010 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  6. LarryKegel(US Army)

They can't have training wheels for ever!!! They have to start doing things on Their own... We can't afford to stay there fighting forever!!!

November 22, 2010 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bledsoe

We?

November 22, 2010 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
      • LarryKegel(US Army)

What???

November 22, 2010 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
      • Bledsoe

Hijacked.

November 22, 2010 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dindy.....

Larry kegel (US Army) well..written ..

November 27, 2010 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
  7. whatever

I feel like I am in a time warp........

Its grey outside and I am in germany just after they rolled over their first country with armor. It was an easy victory as we germans had superior firepower. The only fight left in the country we had taken was small guerilla or resistance fighters that were bent on defending their soil to the death. The resistance fighters worked in secrecy and wore no uniform making them hard to find. A lot of my friends for reasons they cant explain starting backing the war. The rich, corporations and government control everything and virtually everyone is either on the govt payroll or poor the taxes are high and going up to fund the war. The corporations are in league with the govt and now are converting their factories and virtually every company now makes things for the military or have govt contracts. I have heard rumors of a secret forbidden prison or camp opened up by our govt on foreign soil. People are shipped to this camp but never heard from again without so much as a hearing or trial. It is bad because you cannot buck or rock the system here and have to watch what you say........freedom of speech has become a luxury we apparently cannot afford. The papers and news seems blind to what is happening as has stopped asking the real question or any questions at all for that matter. I am just a simple farmer and only get to town once in a while keeping on the path. But I am afraid for my children as this country of mine seems bent on war. All I want is my farmland to prosper and my family, my children to be healthy and to know happiness. When did things become so complicated.

My only hope is that the world learns from this war and that this is never another

Unknown farmer in wartime germany.......................

November 21, 2010 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  8. madprof4

I can't believe he said this: apologies to all Afghans. If it is any consolation, Biden speaks of his fellow citizens with the same goofy and condescending manner. He is what the media thought Dan Quale was, and more. I began to have my doubts about the Obama campaign when they announced that Biden would bring foreign policy gravitas to the administration. It's ever harder to doubt that Biden's nomination was all about ensuring that Obama would have to share the limelight with no one; too bad Biden never got the word that the world sees him as one of democracy's bad jokes.

November 21, 2010 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Mark

"Daddy is going to take the training wheels off..."???

Well, if that isn't a classic example of American arrogance, I don't know what is.

November 20, 2010 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
    • Bledsoe

Palin.

November 21, 2010 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
      • LarryKegel(US Army)

Don't make Me sick???

November 22, 2010 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
      • Bledsoe

Nauseous!

November 22, 2010 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
  10. LOVEFORALLHATREDFORNONE

If all the above is any true then i think this Biden Guy needs to get trained to think before he opens his mouth and talks low of a country and its people who have been hijacked by Bigger Idiots with wrong interpetation of Islam.
    Islam is all about Love for your Fellow Human Beings of any Colour, Race, Religion.

Wake up all " LOVE FOR ALL HATRED FOR NONE "

November 20, 2010 at 6:26 am | Report abuse |
    • LarryKegel(US Army)

You are the Idiot!!! Why do You think NATO is helping if We can't win???

November 22, 2010 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Anya Khan

How rude, undiplomatic, condescending, vulgar, basically what a clown. If I thought Chaney was a lousy, this man is ridiculously worse. The US image just hit a new low as the US Vice President refers Afghans as his children. What is next? "Whose your Daddy"?

November 20, 2010 at 2:22 am | Report abuse |
    • LarryKegel(US Army)

Knowone could be worse than Cheney excepted Bush, Palin, Republicans and the Tea Party!!!

November 22, 2010 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  12. RSAT4

1. Okay Vice President Joe Biden, who sent you there in the first place. 2. What have you achieved? 3. Have you found Bin Laden? 4. How many woman and children have you killed there? Answer me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

November 20, 2010 at 1:12 am | Report abuse |
    • LarryKegel(US Army)

He had as much right to go There to see for Himself!!! He does have to help make sure This Country is running right...

November 22, 2010 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  13. James Blunt

Afghani is a form of currency. Afghan is a nationality. what he just said is like calling the American people 'dollars'.

November 20, 2010 at 12:43 am | Report abuse |
  14. Laima

Mr. Biden frist correct your pronunciation, we are not Afghanies this is wrong, we are Afghan' s. All Afghan's are thankfulness from the USA people and Government for thier help with us, if you USA want to win this war in Afghanistan, first you have to listen to Mr. Karzai because he knows every thing about Aghanistan and about Afghan' s people, second one is Pakistan, you have to destroy ISI this is the key of Afghan war, when you destroy the ISI you will be the winner of this war, you and your USA people will be proud of thier solders and Government. REMEMBER MY IDEA?

November 19, 2010 at 11:36 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Jim_Schaefbauer

Mason Mehring thinks he's a better brown noser than I am. But he's not! My peers call me Jimmy Shaftbobber. That proves I'm a better brown noser than he is. Email me to congratulate my brown nosing abilities. Jim dot Schaefbauer at corelinksolutions dot com.

November 19, 2010 at 7:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bledsoe

Daniel-2!

November 21, 2010 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
  16. What????

It doesn't matter. At some point you are going to have to ride this 2 wheel bicycle without help. We are truly over it!!!

November 19, 2010 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |