November 4th, 2010

2 hurt in indirect fire on Afghanistan's Bagram Airfield

Two civilians were hurt when indirect fire hit Bagram Airfield in Afghanistan on Thursday, the International Security Assistance Force said.

Three rounds of fire struck the base, the force said. The civilians who were hurt were treated and released.

Officials said they do not know what type of rounds were used, although insurgents in the past have fired rockets.

Bagram is a heavily fortified base, its perimeter guarded by high fences and thick, concrete walls.

The last time the airfield came under indirect fire was on October 22. Prior to that, it was struck on September 11. In both instances, officials believe rockets were used.

Post by:
Filed under: Afghan security forces • Daily Developments
  1. Dindy.....

Thank you for your post Honyak. It gives a real picture of what these soldiers go through.

November 5, 2010 at 4:29 am | Report abuse |
  2. Bri

Honyak**

Do you know what its like to be in Afghan away from your family with little ammenties to help get you through the day? What about our soldiers who are away from 15 + months, and are our in the war zone patroling for long periods of time eating nothing but MRE's, taking a bath with baby wipes for cryin out loud? Heaven forrbid they go to the PX for some soap to take a quick combat shower, or stop by a Burger King trailor (which i might mention is no where near the real thing) and have a good meal...just remember that next time you are eating out with your family or wanna stop by Walmart to grab your toiletries. ** and if you are military SHAME on you for bashing out at your own people.

November 5, 2010 at 1:45 am | Report abuse |
    • Honyak

Hey Bri, didn't mean to rattle your chain there. Sorry 'bout that. I just got a "thing" about that Burger King trailer I guess. See, I stood in line there one day with my filthy, bearded buddies for a Whopper after 2 months out on the old goat trail & all the local Fobbits who never leave the wire hogged all the burgers & I was left with a chicken sandwich that gave me food poisoning. So please forgive my personal issues with the Bagram Boys. I didn't have MRE's tho; I lived on goat & rice with my Afghan warriors cooked on a fire in a Russian T-62 tank roadwheel. But that was 3 tours ago when I lived in a mud-hut mosque in a captured Taliban compound ; I'm getting out of WTU to head back for # 4 soon, my family left after the 2nd tour so I don't have to worry about them anymore. We never used baby wipes, but did wash up in a local Afghan creek whenever we could. We folks who live outside the wire over there in the greater Islamic Republic Of have the greatest distain for those who dwell in the air-conditioned finery of BAK & KAF (don't miss the KAF 'poop-pond" tho) but the fact of life is that 90% of them sit on their comfortable butts in complete safety while only 10% of us are actually out there hunting Talibs. They think the occasional stray rocket justifies their combat pay. BAF & KAF are not Afghanistan; they are America East, and are a good joke amongst the folks doing the actual dirty work in that scenic little place. I think that I've been blown up & shot up enough that I can bash those FOB living folks as much as I wish. Maybe I got some issues.
      Yeah Bri, I know what it's like to be in Afghan...

November 5, 2010 at 3:10 am | Report abuse |
      • Bri

Honyak,

I as well was not trying "rattle your chain" it is just that Bagram was my first tour and that "occasional stray rocket" (which was alot more than occasional during the time I was there) was definately enough to scare a single young mother like myself into realizing that we are NOT safe no matter where we are but especially in Afghan or Iraq. I as a soldier will never bash another soldier on where they are, we are all suppose to work together and encourage one another into keeping our heads up. I appreciate you AND every other soldier who is in this war...that being said I also appreciate those at any of the bases helping to keep myself and other soldiers safe enough to return to our families. For those that have not had that same experience of returning home and to their families I will forever be in debt to them and their families for my life, and the freedoms I get everyday, many thanks to you as well.

November 5, 2010 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Opinion2606

Yes the media tends to focus more on the negative because it sells. There are far more victories here than you will ever hear about! I'd like to see CNN do a story about the man deployed here with a prosthetic leg and other inspiring stories! And you're right, it would be easier to give up, but you can't look at the children here and still have that thought in your mind. You are naive if you think everyone in the middle east is evil.

November 4, 2010 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bledsoe

Evidently the American public deems the people in the Middle East evil enough to impose this obscene war on them. We need to wise the public up!!!

November 4, 2010 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Anabel

Onesmallwhatever Pakistan is not in the middle east if you are confused obtain a map.

November 5, 2010 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
      • Bledsoe

Sorry Phunnie boy, my mistake. We're all fallable.

November 5, 2010 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse |
  4. GoodNews316

Our world is paralyzed by fear. Every day you turn on the news and see evidence of our impending doom. Pretty depressing stuff! Fortunately, there's good news! There is hope. See for yourself, visit: Story4.Us/2050.

November 4, 2010 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
    • Onesmallvoice

About what? We keep on hearing about NATO victories which the successful they are,the longer we stay there. In fact,the only way out of there is by our losing lke we did in Vietnam!

November 4, 2010 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
      • Dindy.....

Onesmallvoice...please do not talk negative things . so many brave men and women still out there who cant return soon like spider man does. May God be their shield !!

November 5, 2010 at 2:57 am | Report abuse |
  5. Andrew Lubin

Base defense begins a mile beyond the concrete walls and barbed wire – they need to get out of the chow halls, PX's, and rug shops and patrol the area //

November 4, 2010 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
    • mike

we do, Andrew. the area is heavily patrolled. I can say that because i'm here. obviously you don't know what you are talking about

November 4, 2010 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
      • Tanya

You tell 'em Mike! My son is at Bagram and I'm sick of ignorant people who seem to think it is so easy over there. Keep up the great work and THANK YOU FOR SERVING!!!

November 4, 2010 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |
      • Honyak

Mike, guess you didn't get out to "rocket range" then did you? I agree with Andrew, BAF (Little America) remains as yet the prime example of the Fobbit Mentality that is based on being Reactive instead of Proactive. You gotta push that Force Protection bubble farther out and get your heads out of the PX. For your own good my friend, you gotta get Pro-Active in the defence. I know; you can't find ALL the little rocket-men, but you can keep them on the move. By the way, is the little Burger King trailer back in buisness?

November 4, 2010 at 10:52 pm | Report abuse |
      • mcmurdo proud military fiance

hi MIke keep up the good work at bagram finaly someone who is actually there, my fiance is there to near kabul , have heard nothing for 2 months which is hard, i believe you there is alot going on there , thanks for all that you and my fiance and the others are doing , may god protect you and bless and god ahead of you all ,

November 5, 2010 at 1:35 am | Report abuse |
      • BUBBA--ALABAMA STYLE!!!

How about knocking off this right-wing mumbo-jumbo? It's stating to get awfully old!

November 5, 2010 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • SusanH

Good heavens, ANDREW. Do some research before you respond to the world. This attack was during the wee hours of the morning, and rockets/mortar have nothing to do with getting out of the "chow halls, PX", etc. And, as another stated...this is a heavily guarded installation. My husband is there and you are offensive to those who are serving our great country. Go back to bed, Andrew.

November 5, 2010 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
      • LKrontz

Well stated.

November 5, 2010 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
  6. Gary Johndro

This is not good. They ought to stop it.

November 4, 2010 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |