October 12th, 2010

1 dead in RPG strike at chopper

An Afghan interpreter was killed and eight people were wounded when a rocket-propelled grenade was fired at a coalition helicopter in eastern Afghanistan on Tuesday, NATO's International Security Assistance Force said.

The incident occurred in Kunar province. A CH-47 Chinook helicopter had just landed and had been off-loading when the RPG was fired into the cargo bay. Seven ISAF servicemembers and an Afghan Border Police officer were injured.

Afghan and ISAF soldiers secured the landing site.

The incident comes after nine U.S. servicemembers were killed in a helicopter crash in southern Afghanistan in late September.

The NATO-led command on Tuesday also reported incidents in other parts of the country.

A coalition service member died in an IED attack on Tuesday in southern Afghanistan. It didn't release the nationality of the person and the precise location of the incident.

A Taliban senior leader who leads up to 20 fighters in the Sistani area of the Marjah district in Helmand province was captured overnight. Marjah is the area where coalition forces conducted a major offensive earlier this year.

An airstrike in northern Afghanistan's Kunduz province on Monday killed two insurgents. The actions targeted a Taliban senior leader.

Filed under: Daily Developments
  1. dindy Sri lanka

I Thank God for both of you !!!

October 14, 2010 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  2. dindy Sri lanka

sodiergirl
    there are people who are frozen and do not care for others. I am very proud of you. your boy friend is blessed to have someone who truly loves .him like you do. God is on your side . Do not worry. you are a power house because of our lord JESUS CHRIST who is in you. Because love is from above. I cant write who I am because for security reasons.. But please remember ...I have lived with war and know what you are going through personally. yet..our god is a living spirit and lord answer the people who truly seek him. May God"s peace be with you.

October 14, 2010 at 1:02 am | Report abuse |
    • Soldiersgirl

Thank you dindy, I believe I am truly blessed to have such a selfless boyfriend that is risking his life for his country. He is my hero, & I believe I am the one that is lucky🙂

October 14, 2010 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
  3. dindy Sri lanka

I am truly sorry if any of my comments brought any kind of hurt to troops who serve there.

October 13, 2010 at 11:33 pm | Report abuse |
  4. GUEST42DAY

hey soldiersgirl, we got your back..no worries...i'm over here to

October 13, 2010 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Soldiersgirl

Thank you for your service Guest42day!! Stay Safe & God Bless!

October 14, 2010 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
  5. Soldiersgirl

I am not stupid, because I never said where my boyfriend is. You are very immature for being on this board if you have no consideration for other people. Quit making a mockery of all of this. It is not a game. Its a shame my brave boyfriend is over there protecting your freedom and you sit here and talk crap all day and show how ignorant some people really are. I know you will just have something rude to say to this, so just save it. I am proud of my man & everyone else over there!

October 13, 2010 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
  6. GUEST42DAY

right on man, if you dont support the troops you can get the hell out of our country cause we dont you

October 13, 2010 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
  7. GUEST*PC*

I agree with guest42, he knows who I am. Is very irritating when people give their opinions and don't know the facts. I hope the guys get well soon and join us as soon as posible. We as a unit will recover from this. God bless our guys, our unit and The Army. Everyone else that don't agree go to hell.

October 13, 2010 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • dindy Sri lanka

i did not post on 4.21pm October 13.

October 14, 2010 at 12:01 am | Report abuse |
  8. GUEST42DAY

please keep in mind that some people who read these stories and some of the idiotic comments posted know people in afghanistan and might just know people who were on that aircraft, so you know...watch what you say, thanks

October 13, 2010 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  9. dindy Sri lanka

Soldier girl....
    Praise lord , communicate, and keep an appointment with God each day !!🙂

October 13, 2010 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  10. dindy Sri lanka

these incidents prove that the al queda is still there and Taliban has not agreed with peace talk :(...

October 13, 2010 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  11. dindy Sri lanka

This war should end. Fighting for nine years in another country unknown is not easy at all. Because it is difficult to get to know the enemy.

October 13, 2010 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  12. dindy Sri lanka

I think the shooting was troops back fire.

October 13, 2010 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  13. dindy Sri lanka

Torben schmidt, you are correct. Because when LTTE once shot a RPG to ceylinco tower in Sri lanka I was few meters away and saw it. i had a narrow escape that day. As they had blew off central bank too at the same time. If what we suspect is true ..then they must pay Afghan army for serving .

October 13, 2010 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Roy

Some 9 crew members were killed as an ISAF cargo plane was brought down by Mujahideen of the Islamic Emirate in the mountains of Tangi, the west of Kabul province later last night.

Mujahideen, however, also shot down one of the US invading forces’’ helicopter in Murawara, Kunar province yesterday morning, killing as many as 26 US invaders.

October 13, 2010 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
    • dindy Sri lanka

Chopper incident was on news here and after the chopper was attacked there were more shooting.

October 13, 2010 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • dindy Sri lanka

Roy ..then altogether it is lots of young lives ..this is the way of terrorists. They keep quiet for sometime and then attack when no one expect it. That is how they trick.Soldiers know that they go for war and it is risky. But they are still going as they are so brave. But for the people like us who see some of the fallen....it is always a great pain.war must end.

October 13, 2010 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Torben Schmidt

How could this happen ? The chopper obviously landed on "friendly", or on a secured field. To get thát close, as you need to come,to do damage on a target,with an old-fashioned RPG, you must be very close,about from 25-50 meters. How could a Taleban be so near,that he wasn't spotted, firing directly at the gate,of that big chopper ? This sounds more to me,that one of the afghan guards,supposed to be protectecting the plane,turned Taliban,and shot at it instead. He might have got angry,becuse he got no salary,and that he's more well fed in the Taleban camp. Unfortunately,that happens often here,and understandingly also,as these guys AREN'T paid, every month, and at checkpoints,they have to steel to get food.Terrible

October 13, 2010 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
  16. dindy Sri lanka

what a shame!! This Afghan Interpreter died in this attack😦 It is a great lost .

October 13, 2010 at 7:37 am | Report abuse |
  17. hkbrigman

This war is very importent,people died while going about their daily lives. going to work ,supporting their families. then all of a sudden their lives were taken from them.,i can"t imagine the lost to the families that are waiting for their love ones to come home when this horrific incendent had incurred. ,knowing that their parents and love ones work there.and listening to the news.too many lives were lost over a nut ,who thinks god is on his side .to bad the god of abraham and iassc and jacob and our LORD JESUS CHRIIST is in control !!!

October 12, 2010 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • dindy Sri lanka

hibrigman.....Praise , sing in spirit.., make songs from your heart when worship and ask in JESUS name to make us free from this great sadness. pain after 9/11

October 13, 2010 at 5:46 am | Report abuse |
  18. Fellow soldier of aircraft crew

How about we support our troops and our country. Nobody remember 9-11.

October 12, 2010 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bledsoe

Isn't that what the Germans use to say during WW2? It sounds familiar.

October 12, 2010 at 11:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ernie Beatty

Sieg Heil!!!

October 12, 2010 at 11:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • mcmurdo proud military fiance

i totally agree with you there fellow soldier of aircraft crew, we must not forget , and keep praying for the safety of our men and women serving over there wether they are from the USA or canada , my fiance is in the US MILITARY over there and am very proud of what they have been doing

October 13, 2010 at 12:40 am | Report abuse |
      • Gary Johndro

Me too,YABBA-DABBA-DOO!!!

October 13, 2010 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
    • dindy Sri lanka

Fellow soldier of aircraft crew......never can forget 9/11 unless through the divine power of God !!! take good care sir.
      Do not forget these enemies are in bondage with evil spirits. May God be with you and be your Mighty shield !!!

October 13, 2010 at 5:52 am | Report abuse |
      • Bledsoe

Wrong,dindy. The only people who are in bondage with the evil spirit are the self-serving, right-wing thugs in Washington who live and think only for themselves.And that's why we're at war!!!

October 13, 2010 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
      • Bledsoe

You are so right Bledsoe i agree with anything you say!!!???

October 13, 2010 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • wow

If you are a soldiers girlfriend maybe you should try practicing OPSEC!!! If you dont know what that is, I suggest you ask your boyfriend. Little did you know you just gave the terroist what the wanted, and you are providing information on troop movements. YOU ARE A MORON. Go feel sorry for yourself and watch more ARMY wives.

October 13, 2010 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
      • Crystal D

Wow: You should perhaps read the military provided information on OPSEC. Where is it that she discusses any of the guidelines as listed? Here are the examples: flight schedules, ship movements, temporary duty (TDY) locations,
        and installation activities. It disgusts me that every time you feel the need to rip into another serviceman/woman's family about it, you have absolutely no interest in understanding what compassion is. YOU having the ability to write your nonsense is BECAUSE of Soldiersgirl fiance and all of the other men and women risking their lives for your freedom to do so. The facts that were stated about this particular incident are in the article above. Provided by whom? The media. It is also on dozens of other websites. The same, basic information is listed. It is no secret that there are troops in Afghanistan. Get your facts straight before you voice your opinion & disrupt the moral of actual supportive individuals.

October 13, 2010 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
      • Soldiersgirl

Thank you Crystal for taking the words right out of my mouth! How did I at all give the enemy any information on the troops movement? I said hes coming home. WOW. You picked the right name for such a jerk. WOW have some compassion as Crystal said. You must not have anyone you care about over there risking their lives for us to be over here enjoying our freedom. Freedom is never free, but this war has got to stop. Next time you feel like being rude WOW re-read what your going to be a smartass about. Thank you again Crystal.
        Ps. WOW I dont watch ARMY wives.🙂

October 13, 2010 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
      • soldiergirl

I am stupid to talk about where my boyfriend is at....

October 13, 2010 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Soldiersgirl

My boyfriend is over there, I cant believe that happened. He comes home to me next month, I hope nothing like this happens again. Stop the war!

October 12, 2010 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dan in Lafayette,IN

That's what I say,Soldiersgirl.

October 12, 2010 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse |
      • LarryKegel(US Army)

I totally agree with both of you.We need to stop this obnoxious war once and for all.

October 12, 2010 at 7:58 pm | Report abuse |
      • John

Larry in Lafayette,IN I agree!!! you are right i couldn't agree more!!!???

October 13, 2010 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • mcmurdo proud military fiance

hi soldiergirl, my fiance is over there too and is due to be coming home i gather this month as it was 3 months he said he is to come home in, I dont know about you but i have gone 1 and half months without hearing from him and it is hard and yet here we are hearing all this crap that is going on over there,

October 13, 2010 at 12:37 am | Report abuse |
    • dindy Sri lanka

Soldiersgirl....please focus on the Almighty although it is not easy in a time like this and get connected with lord !! Communicate with lord in spirit and thank God a lot for all the good things lord has done to you already and ask Tell that as you( God) are trust worthy in your promises I thank you for bringing him back home with your protection under mighty arms!! Do not talk the words unless it does not agree with God"s word. Be strong and Praise. I will keep you in my mind too.

October 13, 2010 at 5:42 am | Report abuse |
    • dindy Sri lanka

Soldiersgirl.....nothing else...believe he is coming home..do not allow negative thoughts enter your mind ..from devil. Trust in God !!! you and your Brave boy friend is in my prayers too !!!

October 13, 2010 at 5:56 am | Report abuse |
    • dindy Sri lanka

Soldiersgirl ....(Psalm 112 :7,8 ) (Hebrew 4:14) (Isaiah 44:26)

October 13, 2010 at 7:44 am | Report abuse |
      • Soldiersgirl

Thank you all for the support! He has been there since last december, & is suppose to come home the day before Thanksgiving. Fortunately, he is able to call me when he has time. He had some friends on that helicoptor that were injured. I am happy to say he is suppose to be at home for atleast a year. I hope they dont change anything at the last minute as usual. He has served 3 tours in Iraq & Afghanistan & he just turned 24 over there. I miss him so much, & I am extremely proud of him for risking his life for all of us. Thank you all again for your support, I know he will come home to me & I continue to count down the days! & to the soldiers fiance, I hope he is able to contact you soon. I cannot imagine not being able to hear from him & hearing all of this bad news every day😦 My prayers are with you!

October 13, 2010 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
      • wow

October 13, 2010 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
  20. Yo mama

Who the "F" was killed in todays Helichopter crash in Afghanistan and when is this S**t going to stop!!!! I've F-N had with this SH......., stuff!!!!

October 12, 2010 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Gary Johndro

This is terrible. How could this have happened?

October 12, 2010 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • atal

There you are, you big fake.

October 12, 2010 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • dindy Sri lanka

According to yaklbi "s post defeating is ok. It is 360 truth. Then every body should defeat because it is 360 truth.So defeating al queda is ok because it prevent future attacks.

October 13, 2010 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • dindy Sri lanka

360 degrees is killers

October 13, 2010 at 11:20 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Dan in Lafayette,IN

How long is this going to go on?

October 12, 2010 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • LarryKegel(US Army)

Until the right-wing thugs in Washington stop it,but I'm afraid that won't happen any time soon so the needless bloodshed goes on!!!

October 12, 2010 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |