October 7th, 2010

12-tour soldier's final homecoming

CNN's Martin Savidge talks with parents of a U.S. soldier who was killed after four tours of duty in Iraq and eight in Afghanistan. Sgt. 1st Class Lance H. Vogeler, 29, of Frederick, Maryland, died October 1 in Bastion, Afghanistan, of wounds suffered in Helmand, Afghanistan.

More: Home & Away: Casualties in Iraq and Afghanistan

Vogeler's widow Melissa is expecting a child, and a trust account has been set up for the unborn son. Those wishing to donate to a trust fund for Baby Boy Vogeler can contact the Coastal Bank Johnson Square office and mention Baby Boy Vogeler or the parents' names.

Filed under: Casualties
  1. rob roy

you folks have 330 million people and you send this poor bugger off to play the roulette game of war for the 12th time.now a woman has lost her husband and a child will never no his/her father.10 years into this mess go to icas.com check out the coalition fatalities chart and see how many heros have been created there and 10 years from now those chart numbers will be bigger and most of us won't be able to put a name to those numbers because thats all they'll be,just a number.this poor lad did not have to go over there 12 times,you've got 330 million soldiers in waiting i.e. there's a former president with 2 daughters and a former vice president with a gay daughter[yes folks they'll even enlist those ones] so come on you folks get your kids down to the recruitment center so fellas like this poor lad won't have to carry the workload,my condolences to the widow and unborn child of this soldier

October 9, 2010 at 10:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • dindy Sri lanka

well written rob roy

October 10, 2010 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
      • spc jong hong

I just want, to say that being a ranger you have to realize what your getting into...the ranger community will miss lance...may his spirt watch over us...

October 11, 2010 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Kim

From my heart...I would like to offer my most sincere, heartfelt condolences to Sgt. 1st Class Lance H. Vogeler's Family, friends, and many team members that he served with. Most of all I pray that GOD brings you all some measure of comfort and solace in your time of such awful, debilitating pain, heartache and despair. I would also like to commend his valient, honorable service to GOD, his country, and his efforts to protect and look out for his team members all the while. He has paid the ultimate sacrifice. May he rest in peace for eternity. May GOD Bless You, Be With You and Keep You Strong till you meet again. "Thank you Sgt. 1st Class Lance H. Vogeler" With Love and Respect❤

October 9, 2010 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
  3. William Peterson

How horrible it must be for you to live in that toilet you call a thoughtful mind.

October 8, 2010 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
  4. e. russell

As predicted...no one seems to comprhend that fighting for one's "country" is one issue..fighting for an
    unknown "cause" is another...to the poster ..who wanted to know about the russian archives..go to gogle
    and type russian archives and then as a subhead...afghanistan...u will be truly amazed..and equally
    disheartened...the bottom line is this:..you cannot fight what you cannot "see".. the enemy does not wear
    a uniform..or a bandana or a headband or a tattoo telling us..so please read the russian archives..and also
    read bob woodwards book obamas' wars...no one is dissing america and certainly no one is dissing our
    troops..however, because they are in "it" doesn't make it the "right" thing for America..and we all have opinions
    as to the "reasons" and it is not about our FREEDOM...so please read..let me know what you think...

October 8, 2010 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
  5. dindy Sri lanka

How come anybody in this world are happy when we know we live like this on other peoples sacrifice from their precious lives???????? This is terrible. Lord ..bring ...every one to salvation so there is no more hate, anger or any kind of sin.

October 7, 2010 at 11:47 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Molly

My heart goes out to Lance's family. My thoughts have been with you all week. Be proud of your brave Son, Brother and Husband, his sacrifice(s) will never be forgotten.

October 7, 2010 at 10:48 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Chris

My condolences to Lance's family.

And I would like to know, why this soldier who did 12 !!!!! tours, and only being 29 years old, deserves just a couple of short paragraphs.

October 7, 2010 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse |
  8. dindy Sri lanka

I have military members in my own family. some have gone to the battle field and some have not yet. when read all these stories i come to know how difficult it is to serve in Military. No one is sure about their life when they go to battle field. yet ..I see so many have joined including my own. I cant stop feeling sad and uttermost respect at the same time as I am a human being. Because they gave their life for us to live safely. It is the simple truth ...which sometimes, some people don't understand.
    God......has said he is a husband to widows. I know you dont say lies god. from now on you will be always with Mellisa and her baby !!Thank you for this hero lord !! My prayers are with Mellisa ,Baby and her whole family !!

October 7, 2010 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse |
  9. katrina Johnson

My condolence to his family, but I was wondering the young man was only 29yrs., how could he have served 12 tours? How long is a tour?

October 7, 2010 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Friend

Katrina, Lance was a Ranger. Their tours are anywhere from 3 to 9 months. He was a great man and has given his life as the ultimate sacrifice to protect our country. May god bless his family and his soul rest in peace.

October 8, 2010 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
    • Macdeluxe

@katrina Johnson, does it really matter how long a tour is? Obviously your not military or you might understand. Thats what I hate about Americans they are always worried about the small stuff, he paid the ultimate sacrifice. What have you done for your country lately?

October 9, 2010 at 12:44 am | Report abuse |
      • CCS

I can't help but be thankful for a man who would sacrifice so much of his young life for his country, but I also can't help but wonder how his wife feels about him spending 6 of his last 9 years of life, most of their married life, away from home, risking his life and leaving her alone to care for their children. I just hope that despite the pride they justifiably feel that she and her children aren't ultimately as bitter and resentful as they have every right to feel. Two tours, three, four...that would be understandable, but 12 is excessive...you can't cheat death forever. Clearly his first love was his service and his commrades in arms. I'm sure the family will get support from other military families and the government, but they'll never get those 6 years back. And before you say I don't know what I'm talking about, my father flew 45 bombing missions and survived, though many of his friends did not. And I know several who died in Viet Nam...their families were proud of their service, but were glad they left no widows or orphans.

October 11, 2010 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
  10. friend

Lance was a great person. I had the luck of knowing him at one point in his life. May he rest in peace and be remembered for his unwaivering duty to God and this great country.

October 7, 2010 at 7:10 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Armywife

He's a true Hero doing what so many have done before him and are still doing like my own husband who is there now, God bless his family RIP Lance thank you for your ultimate sacrifice.

October 7, 2010 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
  12. icemountain

Your story touched me. I have only been over there two long tours. Thank you, thank you, thank you for fighting for our country and giving your all. You might end up a statistic to most, but you are now a person to me.
    Duncan

October 7, 2010 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
  13. j.austin

why would cnn ask the family were expecting this day to come. does cnn reports have no respect. i also serve my country. rest in peace soldier.

October 7, 2010 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  14. e. russell

Its very sad..but anyone who thinks Afghanistan is about freedom is erroneous in their thinking..you really
    should read the russian archives to understand what its really about..its complex and convoluted..and
    we all have our opinions...but its not about "freedom"..sadly..

October 7, 2010 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • NLF

What Russian Archives? In cnn.com?

October 8, 2010 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
  15. Old Sarge

Welcome home Fallen Hero-may you Rest in Peace.

October 7, 2010 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ranger Vet

Welcome home soldier, we are proud of you. To your family we are sorry for your loss, your son is a true american hero! Rest in peace Sgt. Vogeler

October 9, 2010 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |