September 21st, 2010

Source: 9 killed in helicopter crash were Americans

Nine American service members died in a helicopter crash Tuesday in southern Afghanistan, where an international coalition has stepped up efforts against the Taliban, according to a Western defense source.

The source spoke on condition of anonymity when revealing the nationalities of the nine, who've added to the grim toll for Operation Enduring Freedom.

According to a CNN tally last updated Monday, 517 coalition troops had been killed in Afghanistan this year, including 341 Americans.

Even without the inclusion of the latest numbers, the figures make 2010 the deadliest year for Operation Enduring Freedom since it began nine years ago. (More: Home and Away: Casualties in Afghanistan and Iraq)

The International Security Assistance Force, as the coalition is known, did not release the nationalities of Tuesday's crash victims.

Two other service members, along with an Afghan National Army soldier and an American civilian, sustained injuries in the crash. They were taken to a NATO medical facility.

ISAF has ruled out enemy involvement in the crash, said Jan Rasuli, spokesman for Zabul Province's governor, Mohammad Jan Rasuli.

Earlier, the force had said that there were no reports of enemy fire in the area.

ISAF was formed under a U.N. mandate to bolster a secure environment and support the reconstruction of Afghanistan.

NATO took command in 2003.

The force comprises about troops from more than 40 countries, according to the organization.

U.S. President Barack Obama ordered the deployment of 30,000 extra U.S. forces to Afghanistan this year, increasing the total American troop commitment to almost 100,000, while at least 25 other countries pledged an additional 7,000 troops.

Unpopularity with the war in Afghanistan reached an all-time high in CNN polling in August, with 62 percent saying they oppose it. Moreover, confidence in the Afghan government is low. Seven in 10 Americans are not confident that Hamid Karzai's government can handle the situation there.

The Obama administration says it will begin withdrawing troops from Afghanistan in August 2011, depending on conditions on the ground.

CNN's Atia Abawi and Matiullah Mati contributed to this report.

Filed under: Casualties • Daily Developments
  1. chararoon

chararoon fsdfsd

September 26, 2010 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  2. chararoon

hehehehhe

September 26, 2010 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  3. zafar

its mere propoganda game, when it comes to palestine and afganistan issue, CNN becomes a mere zionist tool, but propogandas are primitive and pathetic..just compare teh atrocities american comitted in vietnam and iraq,, Taliban , might even termed as angels, while being compared. journalism is sacred affair, CNN is its most dilapidated form of a great mission.

September 24, 2010 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Eric

Learn to spell and someone may take you seriously, only it won't be me.

September 24, 2010 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  4. vallejo23

war sucks all those innocent Americans dieing. over some thing that happened over 10 years ago. why dont we leave and let are soldiers live their own lives.

September 23, 2010 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  5. bangash

Sorry to say that instead of answering my question you called me a stupid but fact is fact, that in all wars, today in this world, America is a direct contributer and all weapons being used are made in USA. You know how much your survival depend upon your Military Industrial Complex MIC. This is death merchandise is contrary to what your founding fathers have promised to the world after winning a war for for liberation from British Empire and your statue of liberty stand for your national commitment to universal justice, equality, and fraternity. So showing you your real face is not anti Americanism but some ground realities which luckily Americans as a nation have now realized and have voted for a change but coward like you, using name of Yakubi, either due to your ignorance or your association with the MIC, cannot afford this CHANGE. I suggest you to visit a website johnperkins.org and see your face the mirror.

September 23, 2010 at 7:32 am | Report abuse |
  6. Osama bin ladins son

i vant to eat my daddys beard

September 22, 2010 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
  7. dindy Sri lanka

I wonder how it happened ?Anyway truly sorry to hear that some one you know was flying in it.. Renee.

September 22, 2010 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  8. atal

Milk and two sugars if you are offering!

September 22, 2010 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Renee

My friends husband was killed in that helicopter crash in Afghanistan on Tuesday. After losing a brothewr in Iraq it brings back somber thoughts.

September 22, 2010 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • A Fellow Sailor

A very good friend of mine was on that helo as well, and to see a certain person's comments just irritates me. In memory of him I will keep doing my job and serving my country in his memory. My condolensces about your brother, and to your friend that lost her husband... as well as to the families of the others.

September 23, 2010 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
      • Concerned

First of all, my condolences on your loss. I typically do not comment on these types of articles but desperation and ignorance on m y behalf has driven me to respond. I have been corresponding with my brother's friend that is in naval sop and I have not heard back from him. Yes, usually there is a elapse of time between emails or phone calls but when I heard of this crash, my heart sank to my heels. I am not family so I believe that limits me from any information privi to him. The names have been released to who? Is there a place that I can view the names? He was private in disclosing his unit, I assume due to orders..so I am desperate to know if he was on that heli. Can or will you help me? I would certainly be grateful. _Respectfully, Elisa

September 25, 2010 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lauren McCornack

Renee, My heart goes out to you and his family. Please let them know they are in our prayers and tell them "thank you". God has escorted them Home where we will all gather again some Day. It just feels so sad today. Families and friends of all these soldiers are in prayer. God bless you.

September 23, 2010 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jake

And R.I.P. troopers, from a danish colleague.

September 22, 2010 at 8:48 am | Report abuse |
  11. Jake

And Sangin is in helmand, not in Zabul province..

September 22, 2010 at 8:46 am | Report abuse |
  12. Shannon

Bangash, you are very uninformed. Learn a little more about miitary protocol and maybe you can post something a little more intelligent. Helicopters don't go on bombing runs, as mentioned above.

September 21, 2010 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  13. John James Smith

Hi Cnn ,
    .... We have no money left for this revenge on Bin Ladden . Time to send in the Trident . Then go home.

................................................................................................. Jack

September 21, 2010 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
  14. bangash

PROBABLY THEY WERE ON BOMBING MISSION IN SANGEEN DISTRICT OF ZABUL IN AFGHANISTAN THEREFORE ENEMY FIRE MIGHT HAVE TARGETED BUT GOVT HAVE DENIED THAT. STRANGE WAY OF AMERICANS, KILL AND BE KILLED. IS THERE ANY END TO THIS OR THIS IS THE ONLY WAY OF LIVELIHOOD FOR AMERICANS IN THIS WORLD? IS THIS WAR BETWEEN A DINOSAUR AND A MOSQUITO, IS IN ACCORDANCE WITH, WHAT IS BEING CALLED AMERICA

September 21, 2010 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
    • Faith

yea no crap and when will they release the names of the people that passed

September 22, 2010 at 2:10 am | Report abuse |