September 17th, 2010

Opinion: Wild Wild West in Afghanistan

Editor’s Note: Farah is an Afghan-American businesswoman in Kabul. The opinions expressed in this guest blog are solely those of Farah.

Afghanistan has been the graveyard and battlefield of empires for centuries. Now I see the slow tortuous death of my ancestral nation and people. Sacrifice of the lambs - that is what I feel our people have become.

In September 2002, I remember my grandmother and I boarded the old Ariana Airlines plane for Afghanistan. Afghanistan: the myth for me and Afghanistan the motherland for my grandmother. We landed and were both so overcome with emotion – with tears for different reasons. For me it was the fact that I had landed somewhere I had never known and for my grandmother it was the return to a home destroyed. At least when we got home and saw everyone, there was a great energy of optimism as much as the devastation. Optimism and a will to change were in the air — more like a high. I was enjoying every minute of being in Afghanistan. I extended my trip an extra month to keep working with my mother and her NGO at the time. The Taliban are gone. We can fix Afghanistan I thought: We can.

Now, we are almost in October 2010 and everything is unraveling. The Taliban are back and stronger than ever. Taliban are now Pakistanis, Arabs and Chechens. I came back from a recent vacation very charged and very motivated to get back to work. But the events of the past few weeks have put me in a dark place. I have explained this to some of my friends that in the span of one week: we lost a team of foreign doctors with their team, heard about dozens of kidnappings, read about the stoning of a couple in Kunduz, seen more civilian deaths and there was a suicide bombing on my street. I used to be able to deal with this over the years but these events had more impact on me not just because some of them hit close to home, but it is apparent that the downward spiral which is Afghanistan is getting darker and deeper — more like a black hole where all the hard work of so many for the past eight years is going to be lost. Everyone who is in power has eaten hundreds of millions from the West to play puppet to the grand scheme. No one is brave enough to step up for the people or those who do are killed or ridiculed into some political exile. A lawless Afghanistan: that is what is happening right now. The Wild Wild West revisited.

During the “Great Game” — the British-Russian rivalry during the late 1800s — Afghanistan tried to be neutral; the British, of course, declared war on Afghanistan. Yes, I do think that imperialism has ruined this world. After studying the whole region all fingers point there. Pay off the leaders – use them to divide and conquer the people — create chaos. Sound familiar? Shame on us: during the reign of Zahir Shah (the leader for decades until the 1970s), we were a unified Afghanistan. No one asked, “What part of Afghanistan are you from? Oh you’re Mazari? Oh you’re Pashtun?” Everyone worked together as AFGHANS. Working together as a nation to build a better life for the future. How progressive we were in those days. I remember reading in one of author Ludwig W. Adamac’s books about the timeline of Afghanistan. It broke my heart. Seeing how high we were going and how we were stopped from so much as a nation.

As the years went by, the West or larger powers have always tried to divide us and for us to do their job for them … KILL EACH OTHER. “Kill your Afghan brother. I will give you money or power.” I wish we loved each other more. I wish.

I think of the lineage of strong Afghans I come from — especially Afghan women: mother, grandmothers, great-grandmothers. Today they are not the same — they have been destroyed beyond belief. Afghan women were the heads of the houses and the families. The men had integrity and honor — would fight for what was right. The people of Old Afghanistan are a dying breed and I see the genocide of my people here everyday. This is what has happened to our women and children: raped, mutilated, sold, killed. Here’s the latest: Afghan women, kids turn to drugs

There is only so much we can do. I say that Afghanistan is like a “treasure chest on fire.” With all the minerals, artifacts and oil that has been discovered recently, of course, let's bring chaos so we can control all these resources. We have a choice. I am so fortunate to carry an American passport. I can get on a plane and leave. Millions here cannot do that.

God help those who are in the provinces suffering everyday as well as the people suffering around the world because they have no choice. Nothing I can do about it because this whole thing is a lot bigger than me, than all of us.

Sacrifice the lambs.

Dedicated to my mother and grandfather who have sacrificed their lives for years for their people ... This is also for those who are suffering everyday in Afghanistan. Sending you light.

Filed under: Voices • Your View
  1. fatavoice

Realy this lady changed my mind about Afghans in USA and rest of the West as before this I thought they might be singing their song and support what is being done today in Afghanistan. Great Farah though never have been in Afghanistan like her grandmother but despite this she knew more then any other about Afghanistan, its history and conspiracies of the West under the shameful name of Great Game. Last three decades long US wars in this region is main reason and main contributing factor in the making of today's terrorism, a monster which has destroyed Afghanistan and Pakistan. But Great Game of the big one has always been buried in Afghan soil therefore Afghan soil is once again getting ready to another invader in its soil. This is indeed very unfortunate that human history is full of such blunders but no body take lessons from it. USA of today has emerged after fighting war against British Imperialism but today same USA as an imperialist power killing innocent people every where in the world, facing the world with extreme threats and insecure. This is unfortunate for every one including American.

December 5, 2010 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  2. AdelineSORIA

Nice, YourPages will be the top 10in the world!!

– Carlie HEIM

October 16, 2010 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
  3. larry grumet

as one who served 13 months in Vietnam, 2/66-3/67, i had hoped our leaders had learned something. obviously, they have not. Just like in Vietnam, the leaders who send our troops, never seved in combat.

October 7, 2010 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Locksmith Knoxville

For some reason i'm ending up with a blank page after i try and post a comment,do you know the actual reason why its going on?i'm making use of oprea web-browser

September 27, 2010 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Payold-online

Tres intiresno, gracias

September 27, 2010 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  6. dindy Sri lanka

If you leave the big rat alone ...it makes more rats to eat up ....if you are after the Rat.. then the nuts trying to hatch

September 23, 2010 at 7:31 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jon

War is hard, but without it there would never be any peace.

You can't have the cake and eat it all too. This article is just more complaining and no answers.

September 23, 2010 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Jon

Peace doesn't first happen without sacrifice. You must FIGHT to have freedom. An early pullout of any sort is like giving the country back to the Taliban. That's like throwing all of the work in the past 10 years away.

Peace is not free. War and strife and famine are hard, but they're required for there to be stability in this world.

September 23, 2010 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • dindy Sri lanka

I agree Jon. yet it is nice if the wars end soon .Did you see the video by New Osama Bin. The video on CNN says that they attack US BECAUSE OF ISRAEL. That means Alquada wants to fight forever .

September 23, 2010 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • dindy Sri lanka

Jon.. furthermore..the video clip say.. Taliban fight because US has invaded their country. And it is only Alqueda attacked US (9/11)

September 23, 2010 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
  9. kimberly snow

I can't imagine the pain you and your grandmother must feel seeing your homeland in disarray. I can't fathom seeing my beloved United States of America broken and beaten. I understand why you feel helpless to do anything. I am an American soldier who served in Iraq and I felt at times like we were doing much to aid the people of Iraq and other days wondered what we were doing there. I have not yet deployed to Afghanisan, but imagine it is much the same situation. I won't pretend to have any answers either, but I do know until we gain some real cultural understanding, we cannot make any headway.
    I wish the best for the people of Iraq and Afghanistan, who I know have had enough of war and death and only want to raise their families in peace.

September 23, 2010 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Andrew Lubin

So, this is where you have been hiding!

September 23, 2010 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  11. dwight huth

So, this is where you have been hiding.

September 23, 2010 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Bledsoe

So this is where you are hiding!

September 23, 2010 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Dan Morgan

There's an Afghan proverb which says, "After every darkness comes the light." How I wish it could be true. There are so many committed to darkness or to hiding in fear that the problems are insoluble for even the best and the brightest. All we can do is help one person at a time – and that does make a difference.

September 22, 2010 at 11:40 pm | Report abuse |
  14. LarryKegel(US Army)

I hope tomorrow I don't have to go through so many listing from a Child that shouldn't even be on here!!!

September 22, 2010 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  15. LarryKegel(US Army)

Why don't You do Us a favor and stay away!!!

September 22, 2010 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
  16. monte

lets pull out and let them kill each other. what the hell is there anyway poppies?

September 22, 2010 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
  17. U. No Who

The US supports the Northern Alliance because they controll the drugs. The Taliban shut them down & we put them back in business.

September 21, 2010 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • LarryKegel(US Army)

How else are We going to make money here??? The Big Corporation left This Country to make More Money!!! The Rich spend Their Money on the Big Corporations instead of the US for the same reason...

September 22, 2010 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  18. U. No Who

The US Gov. took over the heroine for Brits & CIA & Israel, hired Kharzi the trafficker to run it.

September 21, 2010 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • LarryKegel(US Army)

Right the US wants to take over the World right???

September 22, 2010 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  19. CR6

Why does every comment posted on CNN turn into a liberal vs. conservative battle? Grow up America, BOTH sides are to blame! And until we pull together as a nation and stop blaming each other, we can't/won't fix our country, economy, problems.... let alone try to help Afghanistan! We can't even help ourselves, what makes us think we can help anyone else?

September 21, 2010 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  20. RichP, easton, pa

Farah, only you non combatants can throw them out by becoming combatants, QUIT BEING VICTIMS.

September 21, 2010 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Mehdi General Dr Bad

LIe =
    American detained more than a year in Iran arrives in United States
    CNN – Susan Candiotti – ‎Sep 19, 2010‎
    By the CNN Wire Staff (CNN) - Sarah Shourd, the American hiker released from an Iranian prison, told reporters Sunday that doctors in Oman have assured her that she is "physically well.

September 21, 2010 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  22. buggy

Old Mehdi General should start a blog. He has a lot of time on his hands.

September 21, 2010 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
  23. Mehdi General Dr Bad

September 20, 2010 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse | Reply

September 20, 2010 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse | Reply

September 20, 2010 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse | Reply

September 20, 2010 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse | Reply

September 20, 2010 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Mehdi General Dr Bad

and NO , YOU idiots I was NOT having an "Affair " iwth " BOBBY ".
    I was having an "Affair " With "Dave" .
    How Is Michael Doing ?

September 20, 2010 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  25. piece be with you

losers all of you

September 20, 2010 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Common sense

man I wish they would ban Mehdi from posting. His comments are such a wast...

September 20, 2010 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Steve

Who is this chick? Typical fingerpointing that will keep Afghanistan in the dark ages. "Women were the head of households." When was that? How come bacha bazi is gaining such popularity? Doesn't sound like your men don't think too highly of their Afghan women. I suppose the infidels brought that into your country as well. And don't forget lady, your little "treasure chest" you keep speaking of includes 93% of the world's heroine supply.

September 20, 2010 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
  28. Robrob

Loony.

September 20, 2010 at 8:19 am | Report abuse |
  29. tony russo

IF HITLER WOUD HAVE DESTROYED UK EVERY WHERE WOULD HAVE BEEN PEACEFUL BY NOW.

September 20, 2010 at 12:19 am | Report abuse |
    • LarryKegel(US Army)

If GOD gave You a Brain You still be stupid!!!

September 22, 2010 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  30. tony russo

Everybody is saying that 9/11 was caused by muslims NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO. IT WAS AN INSIDE JOB. BY BRITISH, ISRAEL, AND US TO INVADE IRAQ AFGHANISTAN AND IN THE NAME OF TERROR THEY WILL HAVE THE GREEN LIGHT TO DO WHATEVER. THIS IS GONNA GO ON FOR GOD KNOWS HOW LONG...BUT THEN AGAIN NOTHNG LASTS FOREVER. ONE DAY ALMIGHT GOD WILL THE MUSLIMS DAY TOO.

September 20, 2010 at 12:15 am | Report abuse |
    • LarryKegel(US Army)

Right I guess everyone of Those Country bombed Their Homeland just so they could go after Iraq and Afghanistan???

September 22, 2010 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
  31. tony russo

One day the the west will get test of their own medecine.

September 20, 2010 at 12:07 am | Report abuse |
    • jerseyborn

Its idiots like you that keep the hate alive. Aside from not being able to spell, you puke out this rhetoric thinking you actually have a clue.

September 21, 2010 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Mehdi General Dr Bad

oh and bin laden wants to know,,,
    Inshallah.
    How Many Penis's fo Whitney Hueston?

September 19, 2010 at 11:08 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Mehdi General Dr Bad

MASH – Microsoft Agent Scripting Helper
    Mar 10, 2008 ... MASH – Microsoft Agent Scripting Helper. Bring your Desktop and Presentations to Life with Microsoft Agent animated, talking

September 19, 2010 at 10:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mehdi General Dr Bad

" Agent ", NOT, " BOT".
      YOU = IDIOT.

September 19, 2010 at 10:41 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Mehdi General Dr Bad

Next.

Duplicate comment detected; it looks as though you’ve already said that A Million Times !

September 19, 2010 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Mehdi General Dr Bad

Now " Who I Am ", To MY TROOPS ???

I Am The First Fuking MAN IN And THE Last FUKING MAN OUT.
    and YOU?????
    ARE FUKED.

YOU? ??? ARE FIRED.

NOw Where The Fuk IS MY FUKING M.I.A. NURSE?

oh, and ask agaain, Why Fuking Gomer, is STILL A private.

September 19, 2010 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Guest5119

Those mindless bigoted right wing nuts put us in that mess up there and now they are blaming Obama for not being able to clean it up! Send these morons to Afghanistan!

September 19, 2010 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Mehdi General Dr Bad

" I " Only drink " White Russians " or Draft Beer When I Am " Working ".
    Idiots.

NOW. WHERe, THE FUK, IS MY M.I.A NURSE?

Oh And " Shrek '? Have YOU Seen HIM ?
    My Boots ??????
    Uh, " Gator ".
    YOU EVER Seen "GaTor " ???
    No ? Kewl,,,
    What?
    oh,,nuthin,,,

Next.

September 19, 2010 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
  38. JimboJones

This woman is a joke. Afghani's have NEVER EVER worked together to create anything. They are a base civilization and define the term "third world" to a T. They cannot grasp basic ideas, or even accept the fact that they live in rediculous amounts of poverty. I say we just conform them to our Western Ways, completely forcing them to change themselves. Their civilization is one that hasn't changed since the time of Alexander the Great. They need to change.

September 19, 2010 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Mehdi General Dr Bad

what was your name again she whispers,,,
    oh,,Just Call Me " Doc ",,,,
    Whats IN A Name?

She sighs,,, and says,, well Just call me dirty names, slap my ass hard and pull my hair and call me anyhting YOU like,,,,

September 19, 2010 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Mehdi General Dr Bad

My Lip ?? She says all worried,,
    I squent my eyes
    and lean in Looking at her Lucious Lips,
    uh,,,what would you like to drink She Asks Softly,
    " Black Russian " , Please, I say, Softly,
    as I lean IN and Softly Kiss Her lips.
    Then She says The oddest Thing To Me?
    What?,, as she catches her breath,,, Not A " White Russian " ???
    hmmm She does not even know me, What an odd thing to say,
    Why Would She Say That To Me?
    No, doll, What ever You Have, Is Fine, as i run MY Tounge across HER lips,,,

September 19, 2010 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Mehdi General Dr Bad

my name,,hmm,,Im Sorree, Mam, Let Me Itroduce MY Self,
    MY Name Is Larrry Medina. from Denver.
    What ? Stay ? For A Drink ?
    Well , Maybe Just " One",,,,
    oh, Exucse me Mam,,
    what is " that " on, Your, Pretty Lip ?

September 19, 2010 at 7:21 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Mehdi General Dr Bad

I'M Sorry, What is That you Said Mam? he is Doing WHAT with WHO??
    For Weeks At A Time?
    To Vegas?
    Well NO Need Me waste any More of YouR Time Mam, And iT Is Getting late so I better go,,,

September 19, 2010 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Mehdi General Dr Bad

and obama goes for a cheap photo op. of course.

im stil trying to figure out what Black base leaders he is calling out ?? umm,,, The N.B.A?

September 19, 2010 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
  44. bluh

People with religion have a serious inability to chill the F out

learn to chill the f out, man

September 19, 2010 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Mehdi General Dr Bad

What ? you dont think he wil be back for a few days?
    He does this All The Time ??
    HE Would Rather be with THEM Then U ???????

hmm,,,so you say,,,,

September 19, 2010 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Mehdi General Dr Bad

so,,that You say that sweet smell is Dinner? wel, i was talking about you actully, ill just urn along,,

what's that ? Stay for dinner,,why i wouldnt wnat ot impose Mam, it would just go to waste?
    well ok Mam, If you insist,
    Where Shall I put MY Hat ?
    ' We " can go look for Him Later, or, maybe tomoroorow or,,

September 19, 2010 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Mehdi General Dr Bad

>>><<>><<<<

September 19, 2010 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Ron

I sure do respect those peace-loving Muslims. Obummer should apologize again for America's arrogance.

September 19, 2010 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Mehdi General Dr Bad

'Tes2t:

Se,x Bom>b' Explodes on 'Dan,-cing With the Stars'
    TMZ.com – ‎13 hours ago‎
    TMZ is blowing the lid off of the "Dancing with the Stars" premiere - 'cause we know EVERY SINGLE THING that's set to go down on the show ... from songs to props and even EXPLO-SIONS! The most shocking performance - Bris~>tol Pa-lin and Mark Balls ...

September 19, 2010 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Mehdi General Dr Bad

Now,once again, YOU just made the Mistake of blocking and intercepting The Last message OF MINE, YOU will EVER BLock.

September 19, 2010 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
  51. mario

Just kill all ragheads!

September 19, 2010 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Mehdi General Dr Bad

NOw I am going ot take MY NEW 4 wheel drive, MY new Gun, and go see where I live.
    GO se how much MONEY " I " < have in the bank,
    oh look i have a Wife and two teen age daugheters,
    HI HONEY IM HOME !!!!!

September 19, 2010 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Mehdi General Dr Bad

BI:>

NOw, To That Wo~man hwo smarted off to me last night? if YOUR "hubby" ,works for ME/
    " YOU",go TEll HIM , YOU Just Got HIm Fired.
    and THEN? " YOU " make an apointment to come suck MY D.i..ck, to get HIS Job BacK.

September 19, 2010 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Mehdi General Dr Bad

NOw, To That Woman hwo smarted off to me last night? if YOUR "hubby" ,works ofr ME/
    YOU go TEll HIM , YOU Just Got HIm Fired.
    and THEN? YOU make an apointment to come suck MY Dick, to get HIS Job BacK.

September 19, 2010 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Mehdi General Dr Bad

netercpted:blockedd.:

If YOU work for any of MY ocmpanies? here is yOUr comapassion.
    GO Find a new job.
    i see bilVl ga>tes juste made ME another 200 million.
    shove YOUR wars in YOUR ass. not MY problem.
    Slit Thier f.u.k.ing throats.

September 19, 2010 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
  56. Mehdi General Dr Bad

they wont let me posta bout pow.ellll and clinnnnnton. Thye r blocking me.

September 19, 2010 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
    • Mehdi General Dr Bad

for those of you who read what i say and run and cash in? i dummped Wellls Fargo, I have pulled out of both at&t as well as pg&e.

September 19, 2010 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  57. Mehdi General Dr Bad

I see more of yOUR troops charged with murder.

September 19, 2010 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
  58. Mehdi General Dr Bad

:blocled -intercpted.:

do I "see" My M.I.A Ar<my NUrse ? NO.
    I see c.u.n.t. clo<nton with c.u.n.t chris<tine amnoupour (not lalowed) blab<binga nd spinning their talks. one ABC (thec.u.n.t channel)
    spewing the va<gina agaenda.

September 19, 2010 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
  59. Mehdi General Dr Bad

obaama on t.v calling "His " Nni.ggers to arms,,hmm,,cnat wiat ot "See " who shows up, panthers? N.O.I ? jackson? hmm,,
    and of cours ei allreayd hear the faux noise spin,

September 19, 2010 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
    • LarryKegel(US Army)

Why don't You go to Your Southern Ought House and put You head in it??? You Mouth only deserves that!!!

September 22, 2010 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  60. Mehdi General Dr Bad

AS you all see, words do not work.

Wrong Answer.

September 19, 2010 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
  61. Mehdi General Dr Bad

God Speed. ***]DR:BAD>

September 19, 2010 at 12:39 am | Report abuse |
  62. Codifex Maximus

I'm MAD AS HELL and I"M NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE! Whew, I'm glad I got that off my chest.

September 19, 2010 at 12:33 am | Report abuse |
  63. Mehdi General Dr Bad

YOU have NO Options. I Have Many options, God willing.

September 18, 2010 at 11:43 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Mehdi General Dr Bad

Reality is on The way, and NO, YOU Are Not Going To Like it.

September 18, 2010 at 11:42 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Mehdi General Dr Bad

MY Troops Know every INch of ALL These Countries.

September 18, 2010 at 11:40 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Mehdi General Dr Bad

MY Troops speak All These Languages. YOU Do NOt Even Speak English.

September 18, 2010 at 11:40 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Mehdi General Dr Bad

I have You Surrounded. Inlfilterated as well as in Many differanT cross fires.

September 18, 2010 at 11:39 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Mehdi General Dr Bad

I have better Drones and Missles. With Better A.I.

September 18, 2010 at 11:38 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Mehdi General Dr Bad

I have Better Bombs Then you do.

September 18, 2010 at 11:38 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Mehdi General Dr Bad

I have More Troops Then you do.

September 18, 2010 at 11:37 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Mehdi General Dr Bad

I have More Countries Then YOU do.

September 18, 2010 at 11:37 pm | Report abuse |