2 killed in Afghan protest over Quran-burning plan
September 13th, 2010

2 killed in Afghan protest over Quran-burning plan

At least two people were killed and four were injured in Afghanistan Sunday in protests against the pastor who had planned to burn the Quran in Florida, a local official said.

On Saturday the pastor of the Florida church said the planned burning of the Quran had been canceled.

"We will definitely not burn the Quran," the Rev. Terry Jones told NBC's "Today." "Not today, not ever."

Demonstrations against the plan began in Afghanistan before Jones made his announcement.

About 600 people were at the protest which turned deadly Sunday, a spokesman for the governor of Logar province said.
Video: Media coverage of Quran burning plan
Video: Chopra on Quran controversy

Afghan security forces opened fire to prevent demonstrators from entering the offices of the governor of Baraki Barak district, Din Mohammad Darwish said.

Read the full story

Post by:
Filed under: Afghan security forces • Civilian deaths • Daily Developments • Kabul • Life and Culture
  1. avoisaDig

October 10, 2011 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  2. zhnikkijamesp2

Awesome site sincerely, Dayna Reinfeld

June 16, 2011 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  3. Barry

As I consider these matters, I am reminded of what Jesus said:

"You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’
    But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,
    that you may be children of your Father in heaven.
    He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good,
    and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.
    If you love those who love you, what reward will you get?
    Are not even the tax collectors doing that?
    And if you greet only your own people,
    what are you doing more than others?
    Do not even pagans do that?
    Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect."
    (The Gospel of Matthew)

I believe that Jesus' way is best.

April 19, 2011 at 9:40 am | Report abuse |
  4. Fazu

great. you're not alone.

September 22, 2010 at 2:19 am | Report abuse |
  5. Taqiyya

Oooo...look more monkey muslims dancing around.

September 16, 2010 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Cho

I may not know which is the one true religion. But what i do know is that while we are all here arguing about social and religious issues, the extremists are arguing about how much explosives to attach to themselves because someone wants to burn a bunch of paper with words in it. So I would much rather put up with you fine people.

September 15, 2010 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Dennis

Yo Annah Mae-

Your Allah is a fabricated myth and one of a myriad of gods worshipped by the early inhabitants of that god forsaken part of the world. That is until your pedophile warmongering propet liberally stole from the Bible and consolidated things into the false Satanic cult called Islam with the help of that ridiculous Quran. Believe what you want but you are not worshipping the real Lord.

September 15, 2010 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Catie

in saudi burning the Bible is law, and done regularly. This is getting way too much attention

September 15, 2010 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
  9. Catie

People, dont be naive. This little pastor of 50 people did not set off these riots. These extremists are opportunists, they do this daily, listen to the news, they detonate car bombs daily

September 15, 2010 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  10. bailoutsos

Afghanistan on brink of civil war? -– They were already having internal problems.

September 15, 2010 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
  11. herewegoagin

So you are saying you are not going to burn the Quran. Well we already are all worked up so we are going to go ahead and have our rally, oh and don't worry we will make sure and kill at least one! Do they not even remotely care about civility.

September 15, 2010 at 10:16 am | Report abuse |
  12. bailoutsos

Reminds me of the LA Watts riots.

September 15, 2010 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
  13. Anna May

I have to laugh at the stupidity of these people who are protesting over the burning of our Qur'an. If anyone wants to burn our Qur'an let them. Its not for us mere mortals to judge these people, they will be judged by our Lord almighty Allah. So dumb people how about concentrating on helping your people by housing them and feeding them.

September 15, 2010 at 7:24 am | Report abuse |
  14. Daniel-2

I'd love it better better Ernie Beatty if you'd stop trying to make a sick joke out of this obnoxious war and start posting under your own name for a change!

September 15, 2010 at 4:57 am | Report abuse |
  15. Eddie

The Koran and other sacred writings instruct violence against non Muslims. Included in the instruction is the permission to lie for Allah to any infidel. Therefore how can one possibly believe what any claimed Muslim says when their Allah tells them to lie for their cause?

September 15, 2010 at 2:41 am | Report abuse |
  16. Randy

Heres the issue I have with the whole thing. I turn on my tv and see some disgruntled little weasel burning my flag and uttering curses to my country. Then I go to a quikie-mart and see a little greasy look- alike relative with his green card cashing in on the American dream. I personally don't care what you think if I decide to burn your countrys flag and slander your 3rd world living conditions. I was rather proud to see an American stand up and say, "You know what, screw you too!" Of course all the pansies we now have running our country rushed to condem such an action but what if we, as proud Americans, stood together and just said "Screw you! We hate you too!"? Would they notice?
    On 9-11, I sat and watched as Americans jumped to their deaths to avoid burning in the fires of the towers. I was devastated when the towers collapsed on or heroes who were trying to reach the victims trapped inside. Now you DARE to express your pathetic little demand for me to respect your religion? I would not lose a nights sleep if my country decided to make a glass parking lot of yours. I served in the 91 Gulf War with the 82ND Abn. Div. and the one thing I learned is that muslims only understand one thing, killing. Not that I blame you for the whole jihad thing, if I was forced to live in your screwed up world, I'd want to kill myself, too. I am one disgruntled American, I don't like you and I could care less about your beliefs, however, I was taught tolerance of others in my Protestant upbringing. Yes, I also read the quran, the peace all you muslims profess to believe in, that comes when the last infidel is driven from the Earth, right?

September 15, 2010 at 1:29 am | Report abuse |
  17. Spartacus

Lilith Wrote; "Why don't you read more about the Quran before criticizing an entire belief system. Maybe if you read a book instead of watching TV and video games you would learn something more about the world. I am an American and could belong to the Daughters of the American Revolution. My family settled this nation, married into the Cherokee Nation."

Hey there Lilith, sorry to get in between you and whoever your angry with but I HAVE READ TEH QURAN and the fact is, it is the single most repressive and divisve thing I have read in my life...it starts oiff innocent enough, praising allah and such but in passage after passage after passage throughout the entire body of work are passages that are so shocking and disgusting I do not even know where to begin..perhps I will start wiht trhew fact that it CLEARLY STATES...anyone who is Jewish is an "Infeidel" and then goes on to state that with the blessing of "ASLLAH" Muslims have a responisbility to cut off the heads of such people...it also states in several passages that anyone who critisises the Prohet Mohhamed, Islam, or allah or anytihg inside the Quran itself is to be classified as an "infidel" and that wiht eblessing of "Allah" their heads are to be cut off. This is FACT, andyou shoulkd CHECK YOURS before you make rediculously uneducated statements about how peacful and beautiful a book the Quarn is, because thew FACT is it is NOT...it is the single most DIVISIVE THING I HAVE EVER READ IN MY LIFE...S WELL, IT CONDONES ACTS OF VIOLENCE BLESSED BY "ALLAH" AGAINST EVERY OTHER RELIGION ON EARTH AS WELL.
    Sorry to have to be the one to tell you but you are So wrong it realy is wrong of you to be telling anyone anything until YOU HAVE READ IT !!!

September 14, 2010 at 11:45 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Religious Book Burning - The Great Revelation

If anything this controverscy has revealed how truly stuck parts of humanity on this earth are in, old, ancient, dated, old world-ways of thinking. It's 2010 for Christ's sake. Twenty... ten. And we're still, STILL in again, 2010 coming onto 2011, fighting, debating, holding dear some old, old, ooooold text and fancy books from so long ago. How stifling, how backwards, how ...archaic.

September 14, 2010 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Peter

People just need to get along. I don't care what religion you are and I don't care what you believe in, but the day you slam planes into my country's buildings and kill innocent people is the day you go on my s**t list. Keep your religion and your beliefs to yourselves. No matter what you believe. Don't push your thinking on others. Anyone. These radicals are out of their minds and completely brainwashed. I just can't help but love seeing their faces when they died and didn't get the virgins they thought they were getting and instead burned in hell.

September 14, 2010 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Dave

To Jack- You are a real simpleon, as evidenced by your juvenile posting name. How old are you anyway, about 12?Immature jerk

September 14, 2010 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Apeman

The entire world bows to the FEAR of ISLAM. I don't agree with his methods but the pastor made it very evident once again that we live in fear of Islamic retribution if we offend them in any way. The problem is that we offend them in every way. When is someone going to let them know we do NOT fear them and will not be controlled by this fear. Time to evolve. It's not the afterlife I fear but life with a bunch of religious zealots.

September 14, 2010 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Apeman

Hey Jack Meoff,
    Nice simple synopsis of the physicality of man but greatly devoid of "true" facts about the spiritual side of life.

September 14, 2010 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Francine

To Jack- You wrote as follows:

"There is only one problem: "eternal life" is a fabrication. The Bible is a fictional book written by primitive men so its promise of eternal life is make-believe. The reality of the human condition is quite simple, and it is this: the time that we have on earth is all the time that we have. For many people this idea is terrifying, but it is a fact of life:

There is neither heaven nor hell. These two places are fairy tale worlds that spring from the human imagination.

You do not have an "everlasting soul." The concept of a soul is completely imaginary.
    People do not have "eternal life" after their deaths. The whole notion of eternal life is a fantasy".

As Drake pointed out that is your opinion which does not qualify as proof. They are not "facts" as you claim. Therefore, why should it be given any more consideration than those that believe otherwise? Opinion is not proof and you can't prove any of those statements. And we all know about cell structure and DNA in the natural world so quit trying to impress us, you are a psedo-scientist. If in fact there is an after-life I would expect it to be outside of the natural world. You sir come off as an illogical and arogant know it all.

September 14, 2010 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Religious Book Burning - The Great Revelation

Thank you for pointing out one very, very important fact about these or any ANCIENT religious books, writings –– they were written by PRIMITIVE men.

And I'll add – primitive men in primitive times with primitive knowledge about explaining the world and or our existence.

September 14, 2010 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • ML

I believe in Jesus Christ

September 15, 2010 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  24. Drake

Hey Jack- Would you care to back any of that up with real "facts" or is it your opinion? Didn't think so.

September 14, 2010 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Jack Meoff

Death is a central feature of every human life. As we live, we know that we will die.

For some reason, many people find death terrifying and mystifying. Throughout the ages this terror has been a constant. You can go all the way back to the Neanderthals and find that they buried their dead. They even placed flowers and other artifacts in the grave. This was happening tens of thousands of years ago. Obviously death has been a very big deal for a very long time.

The central feature of the Christian faith, therefore, is "eternal life." In John 3:16 we find the signature verse of Christianity on this topic:

"For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."
    By believing in Jesus, you can have life everlasting. This is the promise of Christianity.
    If you are terrified by the idea of death, you can imagine that the promise of "eternal life" is quite compelling. This is one of the fundamental reasons why so many people turn to religion.

People do not have "eternal life" after their deaths. The whole notion of eternal life is a fantasy.

People do not meet back up with dead friends and family members in the afterlife, nor is there any reincarnation.

There are not 72 virgins waiting for you in heaven if you martyr yourself in a suicide bombing.

And so on...
    All of it is imaginary. The truth is this simple: When you die, you die.
    Some people have a tremendous amount of trouble getting their arms around this fact of life. Chances are that you have heard about "eternal life" and your "everlasting soul" since you were a toddler. Heaven is as deeply ingrained in you as is your native language. Nonetheless, "everlasting life" is imaginary. Let's look at the evidence so that you can better understand this.

Understanding the chemistry of life

It should be obvious to all of us that "eternal life" is imaginary. Simply by understanding the chemistry of life you can see why life after death is impossible.

To understand how death works, we can start with a bacterium cell. A bacterium is a tiny bag (a cell membrane) filled with a variety of molecules. These molecules react together in different ways to create what we call life. Some of the molecules react to build and repair the cell wall. Some of the molecules react in ways that allow the cell to move. Some of the molecules react to provide energy to the cell. And so on. A bacterium cell is a little chemical machine.

One of the molecules inside a bacterium cell is a long DNA strand. There are molecules floating around the DNA strand that are able to copy parts of the DNA to manufacture new molecules that the cell needs.

Although all of these molecules are reacting in fascinating, interlocking ways, they are still nothing more than chemicals reacting. The "miracle of life" is no miracle - it is a big chemical reaction.

Let's say that a foreign molecule gets into the bacterium cell and it gums up a part of the DNA chemistry. Or let's say that something damages the DNA strand in the bacterium so the cell can no longer manufacture an important molecule that it needs. Eventually the chemical reactions inside the bacterium will stop. The cell "dies." Its cell wall breaks down and bursts. All of the chemicals inside the cell float away and the bacterium ceases to exist.

A bacterium is nothing but a set of chemical reactions. When those reactions stop, the cell is dead.

Now here is the question: When the bacterium dies, does it go to heaven?

I know what you are thinking: "Does it go to heaven??? Of course not!!!" It does not matter who you are - religious or not. There are not many people in the United States who believe that bacteria go to heaven. The Bible does not talk about heaven being filled with all the disease, putrefaction and pestilence that bacteria cause. And what, exactly, would go to heaven? Do all of the bacterium's molecules get transported to heaven so that they can keep reacting? If that were happening, there would be thousands of tons of chemicals leaving earth every day. Obviously bacteria do not go to heaven.

Next let's look at a mosquito. A mosquito is much more complex than a bacterium cell. For one thing, a mosquito is a multi-cellular insect with some amazing (though annoying) capabilities. But if you look at each cell in a mosquito, it is very much like a bacterium in its basic functioning. A cell in a mosquito is a fascinating series of DNA-based chemical reactions - nothing more. When those chemical reactions cease, the mosquito dies.

Mosquitoes obviously do not go to heaven. Think of how many mosquitoes have lived and died over the course of millions of years. No one imagines heaven being full of septillions of everlasting mosquitoes.

What about a mouse? Ditto. Mouse cells are little chemical factories churning away. They are fascinating, but they are soulless and inert. Mice do not go to heaven - if they did, then heaven would be overrun with quadrillions of mice.

What about dogs? Lots of vets and pet owners would argue with you here, but dogs do not go to heaven either. When they die, they die.

What about chimps - the closest living relatives to humans? Ditto.

So what about humans?

The human body is nothing but a set of chemical reactions. The chemical reactions powering a human life are no different from the reactions powering the life of a bacterium, a mosquito, a mouse, a dog or a chimp. When a human being dies, the chemical reactions stop. There is no "soul" mixed in with the chemicals, just like there is no soul in a bacterium, a mosquito, a mouse, a dog or a chimp. There is no afterlife, no heaven or hell, for the chemicals that make up a human body.

This concept - this idea that a human being simply ceases to exist upon death - drives many people absolutely nuts. They cannot imagine it. "Me? Die? I am going to totally cease to exist? All my thoughts, all my experiences, all my relationships, all of my ideas and memories... It all simply vanishes and I am gone? Impossible!!!"

Nonetheless, that is the reality of the situation.

You are a collection of chemical reactions. When these chemical reactions cease, you die. When you die, "you" cease to exist. Imagining eternal life and creating a fantasy called "heaven" does not change anything. When you die, you are dead.

September 14, 2010 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Catie

Blessings Jack, While I appreciate your dissertation, I am just wondering. Have you died and come back? Because that is really the only way we find out conclusively if there is or is no God. Until then, I will not be arrogant to think that my brain or any scientists brain is remotely big enough to understand the complex nature of the universe. My ending is a positive ending, as oppossed to being worm food

September 15, 2010 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  26. Jack Meoff

All religion is BS. Grow up human race or die.

September 14, 2010 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hugh Jass

I totally agree.

September 14, 2010 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  27. morgino

These protesters make the preacher look like Stephen Hawking

September 14, 2010 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • BUBBA--ALABAMA STYLE!!!

Right on!!!

September 14, 2010 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Herbi

The only thing missing in the picture is the Home Depot Stage, Kirk Herbstreit, and a sign that says 'Corso Loves Balls.'

September 14, 2010 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Drake

Anyone that tries to figure out that false cult called Islam is wasting their time. It is Satanically inspired, proveably wrong and it has enslaved over 1.5 billion people in the world. Some of them, thanks to that pathetic book the Quran, are maniacs and extremists. But make no mistake about it, the Quran tells them to do what they do. It is a mystery to me that if it is "the actual word of god" and therefore can't be in error, how do they explaing the obvious fallacies and then elect to follow it. They all need to be converted and it needs to be banished forever.

September 14, 2010 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  30. JW

Where were these people after 9-11, cheering no doubt. This is what raises questions in non-Muslims' minds is – what kind of religion condemns protests of Muslims killing people, but not the murders which spawn the protests? Is murder not condemned by the Koran? Surely, if all people are the creation and the children of Allah, then what right have these murderers to kill innocents? Shouldn't they rather try to convert them to the faith rather than kill them? Does this murder of innocents further the cause of Islam? The lack of public protest and opposition of Muslim leaders worldwide over this perversion of the faith is unforgivable. Are they afraid to truly defend the faith, or will they continue to secretly condone these actions or cower in fear of those who are under Satan's control?

September 14, 2010 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
    • Daniel-2

Are they really any more under Satan's control than the right-wing thugs in Washington D.C.,JW?Now these thugs are aspiring to gain control of Central Asia under the guise of "fighting Terrorism".

September 14, 2010 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
  31. Jack

We burn a book and they retaliate by slaughtering two human beings, and then we appease them. And they have no tolerance for Jews but they long for racial and religeous cleansing amongst all nations. That really sounds like a people we want to invite to become part of our society, doesn't it? There's really little difference between Islam and Nazism, and yet we invite these barbarians, these ravenous wolves in sheep's clothing into our country and give them political power by making them citizens and allowing them to vote.

September 14, 2010 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
    • Daniel-2

What I want to know from you Jack is what makes you think that the right-wing thugs in Washington are any better.Of course they're not but they prey on the ignorance of the American public and that's repulsive!

September 14, 2010 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
      • Daniel-2

Jack, just ignore what i posted i just re-read it and realized what trite drivel it was.

September 15, 2010 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  32. hokie

They shoulkd smoke a peace pipe

September 14, 2010 at 9:11 am | Report abuse |
  33. suzi lee

you burn da quran youl burn in helll

September 14, 2010 at 6:52 am | Report abuse |
  34. john

These people want to resolve everything will violence. Wait a second, was Bush Afghan?

September 14, 2010 at 1:17 am | Report abuse |
  35. Mark

How many dead mothers and children does it take to make Mohammed’s Day? A woman and her free speech right were not even worth two goats to Mohammed, case in point the assassination of poet Asma Bint Marwan of Medinah as she lay suckling her newborn: 'You have done a service to Allah and his Messenger, her life was not worth even two goats’. Her living children hacked to pieces in front of her were worthless in Mohammed’s eyes. How many children does a Muslim have to hack to pieces before the mother’s eyes to make the sub-adult Mohammed’s Day?

September 13, 2010 at 11:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • mario

Dude you don't write English very well do you boy! You must be a rghead is my guess...easy to understand. All you ragheads are uneducated and want to solve problems with violence...I say use the koran as toilet paper or burn the filthy book! Mohommad was gay also! Take that and put it in your pipe and smoke it!

September 14, 2010 at 3:43 am | Report abuse |
    • mario

Good question Mark!

September 14, 2010 at 3:44 am | Report abuse |
  36. Ammo80

I've read the Quran and it is full untruths. Many of the verses contain compressed stories that happened many years apart. As to Penecostal's speaking, the bible specifically tells you that speaking in tongues is a sign to the unbeliever. Believers that speak in tongues must have an interpretor in order that the whole body of the church is edified. It's amazing how many people do not know what the bible says. If you choose to reject the salvation that is in Christ Jesus only, if you choose to not believe that God raised Jesus from the grave, if you choose to believe is the true book of truth, then you and only you will have to give an account on the Judgement Day of Jesus Christ. God, the Father, have given all judgement into His hand because He died on the cross for my sins and yours. All people of this planet should know on thing–theres no other name given under heaven by which we must be saved other than the man Christ Jesus. As it was in the days of Jesus Christ and the Apostles...you will be playing with your eternal state if you refuse to believe that Jesus Christ is the one in whom you should believe. As for the Quran stating that Jesus Christ was just a son of Mary, sent by Allah, when all is said and done, we will see who reigns supreme at the end of the ages-Jesus Christ or Allah.

September 13, 2010 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ghost of Ghengis Khan

I am slave to no religion. I conquered and killed all who would not bow before my presence. You Americans play with the rules of engagement as if to toy with your prey. Remove them all for they are ignorant and unworthy of your time and presence. Take that which are the spoils of these formless animals and set thy will upon them.

September 14, 2010 at 12:51 am | Report abuse |
    • General Dr Bad

Whenever i read what you write i cant help but burst out laughing.

September 15, 2010 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • General Dr Bad

Run out of meds again?

September 15, 2010 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  37. TheRationale

This disgusting, pitiful, ignorant, malicious, ethically deprived, bigoted, self righteous, insecure, ballistic tirade of insufferably violent behavior known as Islam should not be tolerated. Ever. If you are Muslim and are not like this, you would be doing the world such a favor if you could convince these deplorable cretins how to graduate from the fifteenth century.

September 13, 2010 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • JJ

Thank you for saying it just like that, that's how it should be reported everyday...zero tolerance for the Muslim idiots!

September 13, 2010 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Daniel-2

If you have a wedding can i come?

September 13, 2010 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
  39. nad

not only they bow down five times a day but also they marry four women.

September 13, 2010 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |

me too!

September 13, 2010 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse |
  40. jim

I didn't get a massage! Either give me one or learn to spell, IDIOT !!!!

September 13, 2010 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
  41. nad

not only they bow down five times a day but also marry four women

September 13, 2010 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fazu

Uh.. actually, the man is supposed to have consent from the first wife before this is done. Naturally, the context in which this practice in Islam arose (i.e. a woman whose husband died in war and whose children may be soon turned into orphans) was very different. Marriage was a means of sustenance. The demands of this are very difficult. Of course, not all men will act benevolently in this manner and will twist this practice to their own lustful end..

September 22, 2010 at 2:18 am | Report abuse |
  42. nad

ISLAM IS FROM THE DEVIL

September 13, 2010 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Daniel-2

So true, they bow down to him five time a day.

September 13, 2010 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
  43. nad

Islam is of the Devil...Terry was right.

September 13, 2010 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
  44. glen gaffney

why shouldnt we be on our gaurd against muslims. they are a fast growing population. also christians who profess the faith in jesus are the subject of intimidation and murder. example now in indoneia,afghanistan. in afghanistan u leave islam and convert to christianity you will be gauranteed a death sentence.it is a religeon of voilence in fact its kay to kill the infedels

September 13, 2010 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Daniel-2

Did it ever occur to you glen,that the Muslims might have a good reason to hate us? After all,we invaded and took over two of their countries and unlike the Crusaders of the Middle Ages who were motivated by their religion,today we're motivated by our own greed.

September 13, 2010 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
      • John

very well put,Daniel.Thank you but I suppose that some ignoramous is going to try to be funny and argue that point with you.I get sick and tired of all these ignorant fools blogging in here in favor of this obscene war!!!

September 13, 2010 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
      • Daniel-2

Still, they did invade Spain Portugal France Austria Malta etc and captured slaves along the way, so they have plenty of experience.

September 13, 2010 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
      • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

I suppose it never occurred to Daniel or John that we invaded Afghanistan to capture the perpetrators of 9/11 whom they refused to turn over to us. They conveniently forget that.

And I love how the muslim world never gives NATO credit for saving the muslims from the Serbian genocide.

September 13, 2010 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Cieje Valentine

Islam is not a religion. It is a totalitarian political ideaology.

September 13, 2010 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Daniel-2

I is like a kind of communist cult, everyone has to believe the same thing and dissenters are disposed of.

September 13, 2010 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Daniel-2

So is the Tea Party Movement which feeds on ignorance and fanaticism.How these people can hate!!!

September 13, 2010 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Daniel-2

You get what you vote for. If you get to vote that is.

September 13, 2010 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
      • John

Don't pay any attention to him,Daniel.He's just another ignoramous trying to be funny.Sooner or later he'll be doing it to me too.

September 13, 2010 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
      • Daniel-2

Mind you own business i didn't ask for your opinion.

September 14, 2010 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |

You again,Ernie Beatty???

September 14, 2010 at 7:42 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Sierra!!!!

Hello!

September 13, 2010 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Spiritual

Thank you for your thoughts, Digger. My my next act of kindness I will do in your name. Peace.

September 13, 2010 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
  48. John

To Spiritual- If you are such a good investigator for the past 25 years how come you thought the pastor protested the funeral of US soldiers? I would have thought you could have spent a few minutes checking on that. seems like you talk before getting your facts right.

September 13, 2010 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Spiritual

John, if you read my post I said "He is PART of the sect" that pickets soldier's funerals. Look into the history of the church and the relations with Donald Northrup, Maranatha Campus Ministries and The Dove World Outreach Center. Do some digging and get back to me.....

September 13, 2010 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Digger

Spiritual- I do not need TV. I have read and studied a lot. If you think they are all the same you are completely misinformed. Their beliefs are not at all alike, though it may seem that way to those that just scratch the surface. I encourage your investigation though. I just don't think it's very mature that's all. And if you think it's all peaceful you are blissfully naive. I will keep reading though, because I always do that. thanks for the tip.

September 13, 2010 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Spiritual

Yes, you are right, they are not all the same; there are differences. And you are also right about Christianity. Religion has been the main cause for most of the wars fought around the world. Indifference is the main cause of hatred and has been for years and years. When the common person can take others as they are, whether race, creed or religious preference, and can live in harmony; that is when we can truly move forward.

September 13, 2010 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • jim

Why don't you turn your head 360 degrees and see if you survive?

September 13, 2010 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Digger

I'd say you did some good acts and praying is a good thing (though one of the above is a false cult and I would certainly advise against that, one guess which one, by the way it's provable not just opinion). I have no idea what you actually really believe though. Does it matter what I would say, what's your point? Are you looking for me to validate your life?

September 13, 2010 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Spiritual

No, I don't need validation from you. I know where I stand. However, you just made my point. All of the mentioned religions were OK with you but one. Why is that? Because of what you see on T.V. and hear on the radio? or from what you actually read and study. I have spent the last 25 years studying religion of every kind. What is surprising, most of them believe the same, they just have different names for their prophets and Gods. Yes, there are differences but the true practice is peaceful. I suggest you pick up a book or two and start reading.

September 13, 2010 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Digger

To Spiritual- I am not persecuting you and I don't give a rats ass what you do. I was merely pointing out the weakness of your argument. Don't listen then.

September 13, 2010 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Spiritual

OK, let's say, for general conversation, I told you I was Jewish, Muslim, Catholic or even Presbyterian. I gave to the poor, I helped others in need constantly and prayed on a regular basis. What would you say then?

September 13, 2010 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  52. TowelHeadsVSTowelHeads

So peaceful.

September 13, 2010 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Digger

To Spiritual- He is not the pastor that pickets soldiers' funerals, get your facts straight. And the reason that you don't go to church is beacuse you are lazy and have no faith, you're looking for an excuse to validate your reality. If you are "spiritual" as you claim and "believe in a higher power", how do you justify your lack of commitment and worship? How do you say which one is right? Use your god given logic and reason and perform a comprehensive evaluation/comparison. Either they are all wrong or only one is right, there is no other possibility. Which one, you will need to investigate and decide but it's pretty obvious. You are weak

September 13, 2010 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Spiritual

Thank you Digger. This is EXACTLY what I mean. Others will persecute you if you do not do as they seem you should.

September 13, 2010 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • nogod

Digger, fyi not all religions are god centered. if you had done the "comprehensive evaluation/comparison." you suggest, you would know this. therefore, neither are all wrong or one is right. i am assuming that the "right and wrong" you are asserting relates somehow to one's relation to an alleged creator. there is a religion which was founded with the alleviation of suffering as the goal, and dealt with the question of a creator as irrelevant.

September 15, 2010 at 12:22 am | Report abuse |
  54. Spiritual

Every religion has their extremists. From what I understand, this Pastor (if you can call him that) is part of the sect that pickets soldiers funerals. How wrong is that?!

This is the main reason I don't go to church or belong to any so called religion. Because everyone one of them has their faults, and who is to say what the ONE true religion is. I would rather consider myself Spiritual. I believe in a higher power greater than I, but I'm not going to start a war because how I believe.

September 13, 2010 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Imam Abu

Look at them jump around like hindus ... they cannot be restrained and are dangerous to themselves

September 13, 2010 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Gordon Peters

This Pastor is nothing but a fool, what a heyday for the Extremists!

September 13, 2010 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Onesmallvoice

At least he was honest.I admire anyone who stands up for what they believe instead of trying to be politically correct.I despise hipocracy and so did the early Christians.That's why Saul of Tarsus became the Apostle Paul.If you read the Bible,you'll know what I'm talking about.

September 13, 2010 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
      • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

Good posting,Onesmallvoice.I too hate all this hipocracy and self-righteousness as most Americans should read the Bible,especially the New Testament and then they'll know what you mean.

September 13, 2010 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
      • chic_soldiergirl

The Bible is as equally vile, misleading and as full of contridictories as the Quron is. It baffles me to no end how one religion can have the nerve to put down another religion, when they're all full of it! Christianity shoved down American throats, advertised everywhere, pushed into schools and politics doesn't make it better or worse than Islam. In fact the only reason Islam is associated with 'terrorism' today, is because most of us are able to remember a terroristic event: (9/11). Islam simply got labeled the terrorist group of our day, however, it wasn't to long ago when the Catholics and Protestants were the terrorist organizations; yes, like it or not they are only around today for raping, murdering and pillaging their way to the top. So let's not forget where 'we' came from before labeling another religion as terrorists. Want more–go ask the Native American's about 'Christian Love'–HA

September 14, 2010 at 2:33 am | Report abuse |
  57. Dickens

Really erky- To make that comparison shows how ignorant that you are. To equate what happended in Nazi Germany with today's situation in America with Islam is ridiculous. No one is persecuting them idiot but Islam has been exposed as a violent cult. The truth is Islam and Nazisim have quite a bit in common, such as intolerance, violence, mob mentality, group think, an all pervasive ideology-the list goes on. And by the way, anti-Jewish persecutions happened in Germany and in Eurpose long before the Nazis, they just brought it to a new level. A mantle by the way picked up by our Islamic friends. You sir are a fool.

September 13, 2010 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Anu

This is just in Afghanistan. 12 people were killed in violence in Kashmir India. A christian school was burned and a christian church attacked in punjab, India. Christians attacked in Indonesia. All over some thing that did not happen.

September 13, 2010 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Spiritual

What is your issue; really? You post about your "360 degrees" in every response, you seem to have an issue with the Hindu religion and you seem to be exhilarated about killing. Is there something we should know about you?

September 13, 2010 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • jim

Why don't you stick your head back up your a s s, it's not making any sense out here!!!

September 13, 2010 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
  59. erky

I think from the comments here, it's obvious what's happening in the United States. The same thing happened in Germany after WW1, when their economy tanked and they started going after the Jews. Once the dollar collapses, I think people in this country are going to go nuts. In times of hardship, the mob has to scapegoat someone. Some people still believe Obama is a Muslim, and Sharia law is coming to America, with a 0.6% Muslim population. The same folks (if they are lucky enough to have a job), probably haven't figured some of their co-workers are Muslims – because they don't look like the crazy people the media loves to show on TV.

September 13, 2010 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  60. The Force

Brian is right, American Muslim take an objective look at what you follow and believe. A disgrace laid bare before anyone that believes in truth.

September 13, 2010 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Brian

Tom American Muslim- The reason this gets equated with Islam is ridiculously obvious. That's because it is the Islamic hords that react that way again and again and again. Draw a cartoon about you know who-worldwide riots, protests and kinnings. Criticize your pedophile/warmongering prophet-more of the same. Criticize Islam for the intollerant aberation and enemy to humanity that it is- well you gessed it more of the same. Islam is the biggest and most dangerous false cult ever experienced on this earth. Wake up buddy.

September 13, 2010 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Keith Alaska

Look American Muslim, a tragedy is when a bus full of lawyers goes over a cliff with an empty seat. This is not a tragedy, this is a bunch of idiots protesting something that was called off long before they started burning American flags and shouting "death to Obama". As you say there maybe lingering inner hatred about 9/11 but this is plain as day outward hatred towards America that was born out a religion that breeds malevolence when you take one step off its path. If you care about humanity then turn your back on the divisiveness that comes from religion.

September 13, 2010 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  63. american muslim

I don't understand you people. A tragic event like this happens because Afghan security forces try to prevent people from getting into the governor's office, and somehow you all find a way to equate it with Islam. This incident PROBABLY(remember we weren't there) would resemble something along the lines of the Kent state massacre- please stop knowingly spewing your inner hate towards Muslims everywhere, its blatant, and other than being ugly- it's unamerican, dishonest, and i'm pretty sure that it comes from the same place of the mind that the terrorists(of every creed) use to do what they do... so please relax, woosaa, and come back to humanity

September 13, 2010 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

Such a tolerant, peaceful religion.

September 13, 2010 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  65. phoenix

pastor terry is smarter than he looks he ll get a good deal even a book. a good towelhead is like a good bottle of wine but make sure the corkscrew is not a grenade

September 13, 2010 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Onesmallvoice

Although he backed down in the end,the Rev.Terry Jones did express what the vast majority of Americans thought and the Afghans seem to know.

September 13, 2010 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
  67. DAS0522

2 more martyrs for the fire. Maybe they'll do the same thing next time some dirtbag burns the flag

September 13, 2010 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • JayW

Flag and holy book are two different things. Flag represents nation, Holy book represents religion. Why don't you burn Saudi flag, Pakistani or Afghanistan flag because the terrorist were from those countries. Muslims in this country love this country, and that's why they are here and participate in every part of the society. Koran is holy book of many Americans who protect American flag and carry it with pride.

September 13, 2010 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
      • DavidJ

You can't burn the Saudi flag, it has a passage from the Koran on it. It would be the same as burning the Koran. Not sure about the other two.

September 15, 2010 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  68. peter griffin

i was so agaisnt it but thank goodness it dint happen they say they are christian but it says in the bible to love a lot but they were not going to show love a all

September 13, 2010 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Valerie

Yeah jaycee. Nice point. It's like just chill. The rest of America was against it too, and it didn't happen, so just let it go. Geez.

September 13, 2010 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bledsoe

I just wish that the American people would drop their hipocracy and self-righteousness.At least the Rev. Jones was honest until he backed down.

September 13, 2010 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
      • Lilith

Maybe you should read more about the Pentecostal movement and see who you would support. I doubt quite seriously that you would support someone who rolls on the ground "speaking in tongues". Terry Jone's church is just like Voodoo witch craft.

September 13, 2010 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
      • Keith Alaska

Drew Bledsoe much he needed a transfusion after the game.

September 13, 2010 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  70. jaycee

Well,that's a nice peaceful reaction on behalf of a nice peaceful religion.

September 13, 2010 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • DAS0522

I'm sure MSNBC will tell us the protest was "largely peaceful" since it didn't involve any tea party protestors

September 13, 2010 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lilith

September 13, 2010 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
      • JJ

Lilith, who cares where you or your family came from. That had nothing to do with this person's comment. He was simply stating that they these people can't even protest (against something they all believe, ie NOT burning the Quron) without killing each other. Muslims are crazy, they have zero tolerance for anybody that does not believe how they do...so why should we tolerate them? I believe you're a bad example of what your family fought for a long time ago.

September 13, 2010 at 9:08 pm | Report abuse |
      • From India

The pastor was definitely a nutcase for wanting to burn Korans, but who are these people and what do they believe ? – people who want to kill and riot and burn just because they are offended. Is it that they are uneducated or is it their belief system?

September 13, 2010 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
      • Bing

JJ you are a fool. ANY protest can become violent. It only takes a few people to turn a peaceful protest violent. And protesters have died in the past. You can't blame a violent protest on any one religion.

September 13, 2010 at 11:02 pm | Report abuse |
      • Cliff

I have read the quran. You obviously haven't if you can say that and not understand that from cover to cover it repeats that you must convert them to the true way Islam or you must kill them. It specifically states that Jews and Christians are infidels and follow a false path and must be converted back to the truth of Islam or must be killed in holy retribution. Does that sound like peace to you? I have 3 copies of the Quran. One in english, one in Pashti, and one in Egyptian. They all say the same thing so I know its not confused in translation.

September 13, 2010 at 11:29 pm | Report abuse |
      • Rob

Quotes from the Quran:
        O mankind! We created you from a male and a female and made you into nations and tribes that you may know and honor each other (not that you should despise one another). Indeed the most honorable of you in the sight of God is the most righteous.

Repel (evil) with what is better. Then will he, between whom and thee was hatred, become as it were thy friend and intimate. And no one will be granted such goodness except those who exercise patience and self-restraint.

Be quick in the race for forgiveness from your Lord, and for a Garden (paradise) whose width is that of the heavens and of the earth, prepared for the righteous – Those who spend (freely), whether in prosperity or in adversity, who restrain (their) anger and pardon (all) men – for God loves those who do good.

God does not forbid you to be kind and equitable to those who have neither fought against your faith nor driven you out of your homes. In fact God loves the equitable.

Quotes from the Bible:
        love your neighbor.

love your enemies.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

live at peace with everyone.

whoever spreads slander is a fool

let your conversation always be full of grace.

Seems like these two religions have very similar principles on treating God's fellow man.

September 14, 2010 at 3:33 am | Report abuse |
      • TK

Rob, Just like the Muslims you lead people astray with you theological nonsense. These towelheads have nothing in common with Christians. They reject Jesus Christ as the only begotten of Jehova God and claim he (Jesus) is nothing but another messenger. I guess women aren't part of mankind? To the Muslims they treat them like dirt. They have no rights what so ever. Their Quran specifically tells them if their wives get out of line the husbands are to beat them until they come into submission. That's not in my Bible. It also says to eliminate all infidels....Those that don't believe in their dead prophet Mahammed who was nothing but a low life thief. I could go on. Their God is of Satan and their Quran is nothing less than manipulation and threats if they do not comply. Before making your comments read the Bible and the Quran!

September 14, 2010 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
      • darren hankins

why is it that white American are always trying to connive others that they are native American, when their forefather did their best to kill them off Cherokee Nation.

September 14, 2010 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
      • bi

you are fool to even say anything about anybody is religion.that is not american.your kind of people make america look bad in other country.

September 14, 2010 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
      • augustin

if you will read a book, you will realized that the first sentence recited by this peacefull people 25 times per day calls for the killing of judes and christians. I assume you are neither.

September 14, 2010 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse |
      • ^^^^****^^^^

Imam started it.

September 15, 2010 at 2:42 am | Report abuse |
      • bob2561

and in your mind we should all bow down.

September 15, 2010 at 5:41 am | Report abuse |
    • ZRock

Who cares how poorly they responded. The point is you don't sink to the same level of hysteria and you DEFINITELY don't want to perpetuate it. And frankly, burning books has NEVER been a good idea.

September 13, 2010 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
      • Anna

A thoughtful, intelligent response. Whatever are you doing commenting on CNN? You must have lost your way from some other, smarter website comments board.

September 13, 2010 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
      • Gn Paton

How about burning Mein Kamph?

September 14, 2010 at 8:13 am | Report abuse |
      • Gn Patton

I'm Kamph!

September 14, 2010 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • JayW

We suppose to be moral police that go topple regime that we think are immoral, and sadly we are falling to the same third world mentality. I think bad economy and joblessness is taking us to ignorant and illiterate behavior.

September 13, 2010 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
      • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

Yeah, that's it–we went into Afghanistan because the Taliban are immoral. Not because they harbored and refused to hand over the terrorists responsible for 9/11.
        Dingbat.

September 13, 2010 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
      • Sharon

I believe he was talking about Iraq, actually. That's where you ran in and toppled a regime. Not Afghanistan. Not such a dingbat now, huh?

September 13, 2010 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |
      • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

You're right about that,JayW.Besides,I didn't post the above under my name as the bozo who did it did so for his own self amusement.

September 14, 2010 at 12:22 am | Report abuse |
    • Mac

The fanatics that wanted to burn the Quaran and the ones who rioted were the same sort of degenerate. Disgusting people seem to plague all religions.

September 13, 2010 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Maci

Somebody needs to sue Terry Jones for causing the riots that caused these deaths.

September 13, 2010 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
      • Bledsoe

What are you? a lawyer?

September 13, 2010 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
      • From India

He probably needs to be sued, but what about the people who threaten to kill, riot and burn just because they are offended. No one needs to kill just because they are offended. IS their belief system responsible ?

September 13, 2010 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse |
      • John

To sue the Rev.Terry Jones for expressing what the majority of Americans think anyway,Maci??? You must be kidding!

September 14, 2010 at 12:27 am | Report abuse |
      • Maci

"expressing what the majority of Americans think" – I think you are taking a few liberties here. But he has to have known what kind of reaction his stunt would cause, and that it would lead to riots in many parts of the world that would lead to deaths. No?

September 14, 2010 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • kfletch

I wish the article had more information, for instance how they were killed? Was it violence, or were they just trampled in the surge, there is a big difference that could make a lot of the comments below look incredibly out of place. Islam doesn't promote violence, it is a select group of Muslims who are using their positions in government or other local sources of authority, to manipulate the populations sentiment for the west, the West that until WWII and the birth of Israel didn't include The United States of America.

September 14, 2010 at 3:08 am | Report abuse |
    • JLS639

It was not the protest that turned violent. I see this claim on message boards and it is not what the stories say. The police fired on the crowd to keep them out of a government office. The only violence mentioned in these news stories was perpetrated by SECULAR authorities on religiously-motivated victims.

September 14, 2010 at 6:37 am | Report abuse |
      • kyle

The authorities probably felt they had to opened fire due to THE CROUDS violence and routiness. although of course the article mentions nothing of the crouds behavior.(it is of course CNN)

September 14, 2010 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
    • breezy420

religion continues to destroy the world, and everyone continues to allow it.

September 14, 2010 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
      • epiphany

Ahhhh-and now we find the common thread............

September 14, 2010 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jaydeen

Well that's a typical comment from a country that has an education that almost matches that of a third world country.

September 14, 2010 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
    • darren hankins

The Quran is and evil book full of lies and half truths,It lead many down the road to destruction and damnation.
      It is only a book and hold no value other than historical record.If some one wont to burn the Quran or Bible or Torra let the it their freedom of expression. as a christian I really do not care about other burning the bible, it their choice and their issue to deal with.

September 14, 2010 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Thomas

Jaycee, Are you talking bout the Muslim or Christian religions ... seems in this case both could be referred to by your comments as represented by the actions of their followers and 'leaders'.

September 15, 2010 at 7:11 am | Report abuse |
    • bailoutsos

Reminds me of the Watts riots.

September 15, 2010 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
    • bailoutsos

Afghanistan on brink of civil war? -– They were already having problems.

September 15, 2010 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
    • neil eloy

Exactly what would your reaction be if a muslim leader announced they were burning your bible or something that represented your belief system?

September 19, 2010 at 12:59 am | Report abuse |