September 10th, 2010

Troops may get fast food back

Concessions were banned on bases at one point because they took up space for supplies..

U.S. troops in Afghanistan may soon get their burgers back.

Army Command Sgt. Maj. Marvin Hill, who took over as the senior non-commissioned officer in Afghanistan this month, told Stars and Stripes on Thursday that he was reversing a ban on fast food concessions such as Burger King and Kentucky Fried Chicken that had been instituted earlier this year.

“For troops to be able to go and grab a burger or a piece of chicken or whatever, I don’t really think it’s that bad,” Hill told Stars and Stripes.

The concessions ban had been put in place by Gen. Stanley McChrystal in February as the military was boosting its troop strength in Afghanistan. McChrystal said the concessions took up space on bases and in supply lines.

“This is a war zone – not an amusement park,” McChrystal’s senior NCO, Sgt. Maj. Michael Hall, said at the time.

Read the full story

Post by:
Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. KAF

I was stationed over the waters and i will say this, Some think that a fast food Place in the sands is a waste of Money, but until You are there You dont know how a simple Burger king hamburger can just keep reminding You of Home, it is suprising how a simple cheeseburger that has the BK logo on the wrapper can make a individual feel, reminding them of Home, I agree yes We need more weapons and upgrades to our already put in place technology, But lets not forget who is at stake here, The Men and Women that are there..

September 14, 2010 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Georgia Goad

You would.....GG

September 13, 2010 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
  3. HaHaFool

You again,Phunnie boy. I did laugh so hard it make my va-gina hurt

September 13, 2010 at 10:38 am | Report abuse |
  4. omar

A child born with one eye

OUR CHILDREN WOULD BE BORN THIS WAY FOR EVER THANKS TO THE URANIUM MUNITIONS USED BY YOUR ARMED FORCES PAID FOR BY YOUR TAX DOLLARS.

OH A FEW MINOR DETAILS ABOUT SITUATIONS IN AFGHANISTAN:

URANIUM MUNITIONS

Due to the use of massive amount of uranium munitions used by the US forces in the initial bombing and subsequently, massive amount of congenital deformities occur all over Afghanistan. The rate of various cancers has gone up significantly. Leukemia and esophageal cancers are very high among children. According to doctors at maternity and children hospitals in Kabul, the rate of various congenital deformities have increased by many folds since the US invasion. In fact, the magnitude of man made isotopes was

established by the Uranium Medical Research Center after their investigators made to trips to Afghanistan and collected urine and soil samples. They established that the rate of man made isotopes was gone up 2000 times in some subjects located near the bombed areas.

Since uranium used in the weapons have a half-life of 4.5 billion years, the US forces ensured that generations of Afghans suffer from cancers and deformities. This is certainly not development. In fact, it is the biggest crime ever committed by anyone in the history of humanity.

September 13, 2010 at 8:55 am | Report abuse |
  5. Sarcastic

Enjoy your comfort food, it may be your last meal😀

September 13, 2010 at 3:45 am | Report abuse |
    • Daniel-2

I choked on a donkey once, but that is another story.

September 13, 2010 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse |
  6. ronvan

As I have said before, if I were still in the Army I would probably have already been court martialed and in Leavenworth!
    Wars are bad enought, but these "political" wars are especially nasty. Shoot, don't shoot, Nation Building, ungodly multiple tours, and going on 9yrs.!? Remember Viet Nam? Those killed, wounded & maimed, and look today. WE ARE FRIENDS, doing business with each other. Todlays military "better trained"? Maybe, but they are definitely better equipped, Hi Tech & MORE comfortable than in my days. YET they are faced with the same problems I had. Those of our "elected children" using our military as "cannon fodder" for political & monetary gain! The ONLY ones benefiting from this mess are those that are putting the big bucks in their pockets! Sorry to say if people, but we are not going to WIN this one either! Bring them ALL home NOW!!!

September 13, 2010 at 2:40 am | Report abuse |
  7. MamasAngels

As a mother of a Marine, let me just say this... If our Sons and Daughters are willing to serve and sacrifice their all.. then the least we can do is let them have a little taste of home! For everyone complaining about their taxpayer dollars being wasted on fast food for our armed forces, let me say this... I'd much rather have my tax dollars go to that than in the pockets of corrupt politicians and other needless government programs!

September 13, 2010 at 12:16 am | Report abuse |
    • George Patton

Will you cut the right-wing mumbo-jumbo? It's getting revolting!!!

September 13, 2010 at 4:15 am | Report abuse |
      • George Patton

Stop posting comments using my name.

September 13, 2010 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Margo Zargo

And, I hope they get their "Little Debbie(s)" treats back too.

September 12, 2010 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Ali McB.

Dear Frank,

Suck it. Give the troops what they want (within reason of course) and if they want fast food so be it. They are out there sacrificing their lives while you FRANK, are at home comfy cozy throwing out your four syllable words. Eff you, you tree hugging, smelly dirt worshipper. I can't stand fast food but if it's giving them a little comfort so be it. Because after a long day on the desert front, the first thing a soldier wants is gluten free pizza with soy cheese and a bottle of beet juice. CHUPASA Frank.

September 12, 2010 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
  10. KIL-BOT

This pleases KIL-BOT.

September 12, 2010 at 8:04 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Markle Salisbury

I cant help thinking about my Uncle Babe when he landed in the invasion of Anzio in 1943. Except for German lead, what did he eat for all the months it took him to walk the length of Italy? They sure as hell werent flying in Burger King trucks in back of him.

September 12, 2010 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Guest

the people who get 99% of the fast food are in the rear with the gear and never exposed to any danger, the grunts do not benefit.

September 12, 2010 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Frank

What an interesting dichothemy, sending them artery cloggers and cholesterol sticks. Why not send them something of nutritional value?

September 12, 2010 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
  14. ikantraed

GET THEM WHATEVER THEY ASK FOR AT THIS POINT... THEY HAVE BEEN DOING THIS FOR YEARS..

September 12, 2010 at 4:05 am | Report abuse |
  15. omar

Sorry for my previous post, I am a coward of the largest degree. I have no life and do not have the cajones to join the fight myself. I mock those that do because it helps my severly low confidence. Also makes my small penis feel average in size. USA ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!

September 12, 2010 at 1:47 am | Report abuse |
    • Dan in Lafayette,IN

Sorry,omar.Don't let this bozo get your goat.He thinks that he's funny but the rest of us knows otherwise.He plays this game with me all the time.

September 13, 2010 at 4:08 am | Report abuse |
    • Daniel-2

Hey you up above who's pretending to be omar,will you kindly stop with that dirty Tea Party lingo???It's getting quite repulsive!!!

September 13, 2010 at 4:12 am | Report abuse |
      • omar

Stop butting in, I am trying to repent for some of the hatred i have posted here before have some respect.

September 13, 2010 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
  16. army dude

Is it really a big deal for soldiers to eat a damn burger from home? Seriously, they don't take up that much space to keep the war from raging on. Whatever keeps the moral up.

September 12, 2010 at 1:40 am | Report abuse |
  17. RigidPrinciples

Well they get to smoke the best weed in Afghanistan, so why deprive them of the fast food ?

September 11, 2010 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • RigidPrinciples

No one really pays any attention to it being forbidden.

September 11, 2010 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bledsoe

He does it to me as well sometimes i don't know what name i posted comments under and start arguing with myself.

September 12, 2010 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  18. 14DaysFromFame

Hey Omar, We will get out when you guys start to respect the FREEDOM of your own people. You can shovel that political drivel somewhere else. The Taliban care nothing about there people, they only want the power of being in charge. And by the way, you aren't shooting down too many of those aircraft, I'm sure that mor ehave come down with engine trouble than your troops have actually shot down. but I'm sure a bunch of people who read these posts will fully believe you.

September 11, 2010 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dan in Lafayette,IN

You mean the enforcement of cruel and unjust punishment for ones sins which if you have faith in Jesus he has already atoned for all peoples sins and there is no way to have a fruitful society without receiving him as your personal savior and in doing so receiving the gift of the Holy Spirit which cleanses ones soul! OTHERWISE YOUR HELL BOUND LIVING WITH ALL THAT SIN! SAME KIND OF SIN THAT THE PHARISEES CARRIED OUT AGAINST THEIR PEOPLE BUT YOU GUYS ARE MUCH WORSE IN NUMBERS AND CRUELTY!

September 11, 2010 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dan in Lafayette,IN

How do I desecrate Jesus by calling him the savior and the only way to be forgiven? You desecrate his name by calling him anything but the Messiah which is who he said he was while he was being judged by man. And for your information he did not consider himself an enemy to any people. He only got mad a couple of times, once when they were using the temple King Solomon built for his Father, as a place to exchange money and he turned over their tables, Now as for the Pharisees sins against the sinners of their people, this is the reason why Jesus came, to confront the hierarchy of the Jewish people so that they would stop thinking so highly of themselves and start treating people the way they would want to be treated! And if Jesus were here today he would be saying the same to you people, But my guess is that your sins are way to far past being forgiven, but if you repent now and ask for Jesus' help anything is possible with God.

September 11, 2010 at 11:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • RedDog

Dan why waste your energy arguing with a zealot? They do not understand facts.

You will never convince him he is wrong. He is taliban. Until a missile falls on his head just call him names and ignore his propoganda.

September 12, 2010 at 12:21 am | Report abuse |
    • Dan in Lafayette,IN

Your right Red Dog but with all their senseless killings which makes them feel like their doing God's work, it seems to me that the whole world should try to make them understand how wrong they are!

September 12, 2010 at 12:50 am | Report abuse |
    • RedDog

Dan yeah it would be nice to reason with nutjobs but they are beyond reason. They do the devil's work to bring suffering and death upon themselves first and others too as much as possible. This pleases their master and he has locked their minds into one direction.

Despite their lies, they know that they do not serve God. Just look at the fruits of what they bring, nothing but destruction. Look at the fruits of God's work in nature, it is the exact opposite.

September 12, 2010 at 1:12 am | Report abuse |
    • Daniel-2

I'm feeling fruity.

September 12, 2010 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dan in Lafayette,IN

Will you cut it out,Phunnie boy? You're not half as funny as you think you are.In fact, you're disgusting and all our troops oversees think so,too!

September 13, 2010 at 4:05 am | Report abuse |
    • Daniel-2

I don't care what the taliban think of me stick it in your ear.

September 13, 2010 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Robrob

It never ceases to amaze me how on KAF, troops will wait in line to pay $4 for a cup of coffee at Tim Hortons or Green Beans when 50' away there is a DFAC with two FREE late' machines.

September 11, 2010 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • ryan

true...very true

September 11, 2010 at 7:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ann

It's kinda like pretending they're back home, going to Starbucks, etc. I think it's comforting and soothing.

September 12, 2010 at 1:22 am | Report abuse |
  20. JD

Ugh, Im stationed in AFG and people back home do not understand that these establishments are only for US service members and contractors and not available to the local public, likewise, the BK on Bagram did not take up "space" on the base as the spot where the trailer sat is just an empty void now. Kandahar somehow kept their fast food joints. If you think such things shouldnt be here eat microwave meals for the next year without anything else. The food that comes out of these things isnt like a burger back home – brown lettuce, hard stale buns, floppy thawed fries – but it is a taste from home and more importantly a much needed variety to out diet even if just for morale's sake. This is the same as me protesting you going to Starbucks or Walmart, you don't live here, you don't pay for it (AAFES is funded by their sales) and frankly it doesn't involve you.

September 10, 2010 at 11:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Me again

Stay strong. A lot of us back home are behind you.

September 10, 2010 at 11:19 pm | Report abuse |
      • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

How corny can you get?

September 11, 2010 at 2:03 am | Report abuse |
      • HaHaFool

Hardy-har-har-har! Here's Phunnie boy again.I guess that he'll be stealing my name next!

September 13, 2010 at 3:51 am | Report abuse |
    • Yvonne

Thinking of all of you over there all the time. Please know we are behind you and immeasurably grateful. May all of us, self included, back these statements up with deeds. Striving to do this. Stay strong, it is an honor to hear from you.

September 11, 2010 at 12:13 am | Report abuse |
      • Daniel-2

Cut the right-wing drivel,please!!! It's getting disgusting and makes us all look dumbed up.And then again,most of the people are that way.Bring the troops home now!!!

September 11, 2010 at 2:07 am | Report abuse |
      • Daniel-2

And cut out the Buffalo wings too they make me dribble

September 11, 2010 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jim Deployed

Yes it does. It costs about $20,000 for every pallet we have to have shipped through the pass. Refrigeration adds another dimension of contractor costs beyond that. Money aside, the biggest problem is that we only have X number of truck beds coming up the pass and airlift is off limits to anything not priority 1. YOU were not getting priority war readiness supplies like water, fuel, vehicle replacement parts, and sustainment materials because someone didn't like the food at the DFAC and wanted a cheeseburger, or God forbid, you have to wait for the Harley order when you get home. The general was on target by saying "enough". It's a question of transportation resources. We've got enough problems having to justify every dime to the FM's at the pentagon for war materials (Yes, they are slashing us hard while we're in the middle of the war). Sorry, but you're just going to have to eat at the nice DFAC with the dessert bar for a while.

September 11, 2010 at 2:42 am | Report abuse |
      • Yah-Yah

I wouldn't mind eating at the DFAC's so much if I could eat before 1230 for lunch. That's right, most DFAC's for lunch are open from 1130-1400, but only military can eat the first hour. (On Bagram) This rule started a few months ago, and it sucks. Maybe with the AAFES concessions coming back, the DFAC lines will be shorter, and everyone will get the same time allotment to eat again.

September 11, 2010 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
      • ryan

you'r an idiot!!

September 11, 2010 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse |
      • Jim Deployed

While I don't agree with the hours (we have a 24 hour DFAC here – limited food off-hours), "carry out" is offered for those that can't make it. You can even call them ahead of time and they'll have the meals ready for pickup. I just don;t understand why there's such a misunderstanding of why the general made the call. It had nothing to do with moral (if that was the case, you wouldn't be having USO shows now). Everything has to come up the Karachi pass – everything. Iraq was nice because we enjoyed direct supply from Kuwait or ports on the Iraqi coast. I think the general got sick of hearing staff brief after staff brief about critical supplies sitting in Pakistan awaiting transport, and then getting complaints from Burger King that their big mac sauce delivery was a week late. Really? Green Beans has it's own transport, so they were not subject to the restriction. This is my 5th deployment since 2003 and know all too well the transport nightmare we're having. You've got high quality food at several DFAC's. You have a dessert bar! And you're complaining that you don't have a buger king? Really? I vote ammo and medical supplies taking priority over your Big Mac. Sorry, Sir, we ran out of combat dressings because some senator demanded we Priority 1 an airlift mission to get Burger King back open.

September 13, 2010 at 4:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Gary

I agree with JD, Anyone who puts themself in harms way in support of our country and it's policy should have lucky strikes, unfiltered camels or a cheeseburger or a bottle of scotch if they so desire. It is the military who should decide based upon logistical needs as to what they can afford to provide our figting force to make them more comfortable. My father was a B26 pilot in WWII in Europe and the little things made a big difference in their ability to cope with the horrors of war.

September 11, 2010 at 8:29 am | Report abuse |
      • Ann

Your words are right on! Very well expressed. Thank you.

September 12, 2010 at 1:12 am | Report abuse |
      • HaHaFool

Gary,will you just cut the right-wing drivel? It makes me sick!!!

September 13, 2010 at 3:53 am | Report abuse |
      • Daniel-2

And cut out the `buffalo wings too they make me dribble.

September 13, 2010 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe

Well I can't see why anyone overseas in the military or here at home would want to eat fast food. I haven't eaten at a fast food chain for at least 20 years. Shouldn't troops be getting the best nutrition possible? Microwave meals doesn't sound like the ticket, either. I was spoiled in the Navy on an aircraft carrier with some good food I guess. I always thought you guys in the field had cooks / fresh food. That blows my mind that you don't, and it isn't right.

September 11, 2010 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
      • really

ummmmm...ur also and A$$.....anyone who has served know 's the diff.... between being on a ship food...and being in a sandbox food.

September 12, 2010 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Smokey

WE NEED UCAVS delivered too by the hundreds not just burgers. UCAVs each carrying a dozen hellfire for peacemaking!

September 10, 2010 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Smokey

Because the taliban would chop all their heads off for singing and dancing and not wearing a burka. Next question.

September 10, 2010 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Riza Afghan

Yeah right, i don't think US dudes will leave Afghanistan for another 50-60+ years😉

Burger King is in Afghanistan, after 2-3 years, you will see macdonalds, KFC and all of them😛

wait and watch, Afghanistan will be the next State of America.

USA = United state of Afghanistan😛

September 10, 2010 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

One can only hope...

September 10, 2010 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Joe

Seems like a waste of money. Just make them eat whatever is available like Obi Nan, kebabs, and Pilaf.

September 10, 2010 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • sapper in afghan

are you serious??? its not a waste of money... i dont see you over there fighting and risking your life... it would be nice to go and get a bite of food from back home... you never know if its gonna be your last...

September 11, 2010 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • AMERICAN TROOP

you have no idea what its like over there, we just cant eat what we have, b/c sometimes we dont have anything, shut your mouth b/c half of you have just no clue

September 12, 2010 at 1:42 am | Report abuse |
      • HaHaFool

are you the same jerk that called himself 'american soldier' in another post – obvious fake post idiot

September 12, 2010 at 1:56 am | Report abuse |
      • HaHaFool

it should be a crime to pretend you are a soldier and use that authority to make statememts

September 12, 2010 at 1:57 am | Report abuse |
      • Mike H

HaHaFool, I don't care if he's "faking it" or not. Looking at it from where I'm sitting in Kabul, having been all over this country myself, seeing what these guys live in, put up with and knowing what motivates troops, he's right. Try spending a month out living at a COP in 2x4s and sandbags urinating through a pipe in the wall, taking fire every other night and tell me it wouldn't be nice to have a big ole fat pill when you rotate back to the FOB. Doesn't much sound like you or Joe understand the appreciation of this sort of comfort.

September 12, 2010 at 3:09 am | Report abuse |
      • HaHaFool

Mike, I am 100% on board – lets give whatever comforts we can.

I was arguing against the constant propoganda on this site which is directed aginst our troops by people pretending to be who they are not.

September 12, 2010 at 3:55 am | Report abuse |
    • really

ur an A$$

September 12, 2010 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • elllboricua

I do not know why that can be a wast of money, anyway the soldiers paid for that service is not like burger king or KFC will give away food, We have to pay for it, and let me tell you it is feel so good when after a long day, week, even months out side of the FOB, you can come back to the FOB get some money and buy the biggest Burger you can get. I hope they let them come back

September 12, 2010 at 10:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Georgia Goad

Oh Joe, I know you just love a great McDonalds juicy burger, or possibly a great sandwiich from Hardys.....I think our boys need that little part of home (America) to help them thru this awful time for them. You are quick to deny them the fast food. Try to be a little nicer to the guys and gals over there risking their necks for people like you and I. I am sorry you aren't a little more grateful to them. GG

September 13, 2010 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  25. Gary Johndro

YABBA-DABBA-DOO-DOO-DOO-DOO!!!! That does my heart so much good,now I'm as happy as a lark!

September 10, 2010 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |