Meetings with Bibi Aisha, then and now
August 4th, 2010

Meetings with Bibi Aisha, then and now

Editor's note:  Bibi Aisha, the Afghan 19-year-old mutilated by her Talib husband, is now on her way to the United States for reconstructive surgery. CNN correspondent Atia Abawi writes about first meeting Aisha and what she's like today.

January 2010
Bibi Aisha didn't want to be interviewed and I couldn't blame her.

But her story was so remarkable – and so tragic – that I wasn't about to give up my efforts.

I had to make one more phone call.

Nineteen-year-old Aisha had survived persistent abuse a traumatic assault. Her husband — a member of the Taliban — sliced off her nose and ears after a Taliban court in Oruzgan ruled she had brought shame to the family by running away. (See the original story)

The court didn't care that she was tortured and abused by her father-in-law and 10 brothers-in-law on a daily basis.

A couple of days after my request I received a call from Manizha Naderi, the director of the NGO Women for Afghan Women (WAW).

"Aisha wants you to interview her," Manizha told me over the phone.

"Really? She changed her mind? Why?" I asked.

"I don't know, but she wants to talk to you." Manizha replied.

Bibi Aisha is finally getting help and reconstructive surgery, heading to the U.S. this week.

I had been to the WAW shelter a few months before and was deeply moved by the stories I had heard, the openness of the women who shared them and the selflessness of those risking their lives to help these unfortunate women.

And to be honest, I was excited to go back and see them again.

I don't get much interaction with women in Kabul – usually I'm surrounded by both Afghan men and Western men.

And the women at the shelter, beyond their horrible experiences, are just women and girls – like any other around the world. They're full of curiosity about the strangers who have come to visit them, ready to talk about their experiences and courageous despite traumatic pasts.

The first time we met, Aisha was quiet and shy. The women from WAW told me that she was in "one of her moods."

She was a rollercoaster of emotions, they explained...understandable given her traumatic past.

But Aisha slowly opened up – explaining what happened on that horrific night.

"When they cut off my nose and ears I passed out," she said. "In the middle of the night it felt like there was cold water in my nose. I opened my eyes and I couldn't even see because of all the blood."

As the hours passed, she opened up more.

Her laughter and smile held such grace, beauty and mischief all at the same time.

Esther Hyneman, a board member for WAW said, "She's got a personality on her. She called me crazy the other day!"

I turned to Aisha who was in giggles.

I asked, "Did you call her crazy?"

Aisha looked at me still smiling and said in Pashto, "She is crazy!"

And later, as my cameraman and I were filming my piece to camera in an empty courtyard and I stumbled on my words, I heard giggles.

I turned around and there was Bibi Aisha with one of the young girls from the shelter, staring and smiling from a doorway.

Aisha said in English, "I know little English. Say, 'What is your name!?'"

So I complied, "What is your name?"

She responded, "My name is Bibi Aisha."

Her eyebrows were raised with amusement and she had a huge smile on her face after seeing the joyous shock on mine.

Aisha had learnt some English when she spent time with an American Provincial Reconstruction Team that had found her after her "punishment."

But I was more thrilled by the fact that she was giggling and sharing a part of herself with me.

August 2010
After widespread media attention, help from the shelter and the Grossman Burn Foundation based in Los Angeles, California – Bibi Aisha is finally getting help and reconstructive surgery.

I went to say goodbye to Aisha before her long journey from Kabul to the United States. She came in the room wearing a beautiful purple scarf covering her nose and mouth.

At first I saw the shy Aisha again. But it was not long before she opened up and was laughing.

The women working at WAW shared stories of Aisha's antics in the shelter.

With each story shared Aisha kept chuckling and was obviously very proud of her mischief. But at the same time I was reminded that this free-spirited young woman was born in a society where for women freedom of expression and freedom from abuse is a rarity.

When she saw the cover of Time magazine on which she is pictured, there was a glow in her eyes and that gorgeous smile.

She knew the world would know her story. According to the staff from WAW, Aisha wants to share the plight of Afghan women with the world. She doesn't want the Taliban to win again; and she wants an end to women's suffering in Afghanistan.

I asked her if she was excited to go to the United States. She looked up at me beaming a bright smile and nodded her head.

I also asked for permission to get in touch with her when I was next in the Los Angeles area, where I have family.

As a journalist, sometimes no matter how much you want to distance yourself from what you are reporting, you can't. Long after she has left Kabul I know I won't be able to stop thinking of Aisha, just as I'm unable to forget the many other victims in Afghanistan that I've met.

1. goldlocks

wowww, poor woman...

May 3, 2011 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Azurite

You've condoning this act right now, with your last sentence, you forked-tongued hypocrite.

October 13, 2010 at 11:42 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Elham

من منحيث يك افغان كار هاي طالبان را محكوم مي كنم.

September 12, 2010 at 9:04 am | Report abuse |
    • xoxoxo

خوب ميكني الهام جان

September 19, 2010 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  4. truthywood

Many Americans are worst than Talibans, By the way why doesn't video start from 1980s ?

August 16, 2010 at 11:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • truthywood

1980s when Americans supported those Talibans

August 16, 2010 at 11:56 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Yousaf

“Taliban execute woman in public” Real or rhetorical propaganda?
    .The news report released under the headline “Taliban execute women in public” featured the breaking news of Monday, August 09, 2010, published and given a tremendous coverage by a number of major media outlets.

To be frank, such media outlets have nothing to do with the use of rhetorical techniques or inspirational propaganda in the news,

what they really have to do is to pin anything on Taliban that can defame them and tarnish the Mujahideen movement, no matter they have to overstep the bounds of media ethics and go far, far beyond.

Indeed, there are some technical flaws and lack of balance in what they have reported in the news about the stated women that we want to pinpoint before we confirm the truth of the news report.

“Taliban execute woman in public” this is to say (Qisas). And Qisas (execution) is an Islamic term meaning retaliatory punishment of a murderer, whereas the term does not refer to adultery. Take for example Ahmad, who killed Mahmood deliberately or unjustly, in such case, the Islamic jurisprudence carry out Qisas (execution).

Without the media weighing the scientific accuracy and determining the truth of the news report, it has used the term execution, some reports even said she was lashed 100 times and shot in her heart, the others said she was lashed 200 times and shot three times in the head, which are all nothing but mere propaganda and are against the professionalism and media ethics.

In the light of Islamic law, the stoning and lashings are carried out under certain cases, when a man and a woman are convicted of aduletory. When an unmarried male commits adultery with an unmarried female, they should be lashed. In case of a married male committing adultary with a married female, they should be stoned.

According to some media reports, saying that a 40-year-old pregnant widow was lashed and shot dead in public is an unusual and preposterous event of its kind, a novelty in the history Islamic law which has never been heard of.

If, according to some news reports, she was a widow, then she was married who should have been stoned not lashed and shot, in accordance with Islamic Sharia. Let say, she was unmarried, according to Islamic law, she should have only been lashed 100 times rather than 200 times and shooting with a gun.

To put it bluntly, such courts as previously ordered to cut off Aish’s nose and ears in Uruzgan province and this time decided that a 40-yea-old woman should be flogged and shot instead of stoning in Badghis province are rarity and can only be created and operated by the US and the its media which is in the US’ payroll to defame Mujahideen.

However, the media outlets are reminded to observe their code of neutrality and should not be bent on tarnishing their good name.

August 10, 2010 at 4:29 am | Report abuse |
  6. dwight huth

This is another reason why we must leave the Middle East. Once we leave the Taliban WILL re-occupy Iraq and will kill or torture ALL those who oppose Osama Bin Laden.

August 9, 2010 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Daniel-2

Oh go and write a book then burn it.

August 8, 2010 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  8. bangash

No doubt no one on the surface of earth, from any race or religion can accept such brutal actions by any one. It is inhuman, barbaric and condemnable from any angle. But the question is why this barbarism on Afghan soil? I think one can rightly link it to the President Carter and Reagon era that turned this region into a war front against USSR, by supporting what President Bush calling today it terrorism. Osama, once a hero for CIA in war against USSR on Afghan soil, is now the most wanted terrorist, but the fact is that this region is at war for the last three decades and here deaths and destructions are routine issues. Millions have lost their lives and millions are on their way to miserable end. Such long list of comments on the imputation of a nose and an ear of an innocent Afghan girl indicate how bad action this was and deserved condemnation. It was possible due to the blessings of CNN which had the courage to share this inhuman practice with the whole world and exposed the real faces behind such brutalities in this region but I am sorry to say that same CNN did not dare to show who these Taliban-Alqaida were or are today? And what were or are the contribution of USA in creation of this barbarism in this region? Today in Afghanistan and Pakistan general public see no difference between Osama and Obama and for them both are two faces of same coin because the ultimate results of their so called war is our deaths and destruction in both states either in the name of Jehad or the war on terror. Abdullah Azzam(Founder of Alqaida) at a Conference of the Muslim Arab Youth Association (MAYA) IN Oklahoma city USA in Dec 1988 said “O brothers, after our experience of Afghanistan, nothing in the world is impossible for us any more! Small power or big power, what is decisive is the willpower that springs from the religious belief. He made it clear that Afghanistan would be used as a training ground where Muslims from round the world could receive preparation for taking the jehad to their respective regions; “ The Palestinian youth came here to Afghanistan, and also non Palestinian, and they were trained ,and their soul became prepared, and the paranoia of fear disappeared, and they became experts. Now, every one of then returns…ready to die.” SO it is now for all of us to understand the real faces behind this barbarism. No doubt victory of Obama, based on the slogan for a CHANGE was a ray of hope for us but we see that he is facing a lot of problems in bringing that CHANGE therefore you all will continue to see such miserable incidents as the GREAT GAME is not yet finished in this region.

August 8, 2010 at 5:12 am | Report abuse |
  9. Heather

Bibi Aishi is a brave woman. Her parents gave her away to settle a dispute, she was forced into a marriage with a hoodlum, she was abused by his family, and ultimately disfigured and left to die. Yet she can still joke and smile at life. Good for her.

But all of this has nothing to do with the U.S. being in Afghanistan. We couldn't prevent this tragedy, and we can't prevent it from happening to another helpless woman. Afghanistan is toilet. Poverty breeds incredible ignorance.

August 7, 2010 at 8:31 am | Report abuse |
  10. Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

I guess that the dirty minded Tea Patiers are going to make their right-wing "macho makes right" remarks about her now that her picture has been posted here.They all think alike.

August 6, 2010 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • USMC Forever

Well put,Larry!

August 7, 2010 at 8:04 am | Report abuse |
      • Anabel

What is a Tea Patie? is it like a brownie?

August 7, 2010 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
  11. William Austin

The World Media wants America or the U.S. to bow to the massaginistic knee to a post Obama Advertisement.
    It should be remembered that the Independents have gone blind, and they are about to straighten and correct their
    aim.Liberty!!!

August 6, 2010 at 5:39 am | Report abuse |
  12. Zeena

I would love to be there when Aisha's husband is shown a picture of his wife! In Time Mag! Can you imagine his fury? Hope someone takes a picture for us here in the west. He left her to die, and she now is a beautiful voice for all abused women in Afghanistan. I hope they go and get her little sister!!!!!

August 5, 2010 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Anabel

I completely agree.

August 5, 2010 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
      • Grimlock

Like I said before,you're not fooling anyone,Phunnie boy!You might as well use your own name.

August 5, 2010 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse |
      • Anabel

Are you ill?

August 6, 2010 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Army is bad news

Yea, it really shows the world how you COWARDS treat your wives, like dogs or lower class citizens. It is you PIGS that are the low lifes who treat your women that way. If I was one of them, I would wait until you went to sleep then I would cut your worthless throats and let you bleed out you stinkin Pakis!!!!!

August 5, 2010 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
  14. rosebud

Everyone that has no compassion for the next person send your wife.daughter sister and mother over there, i do believe you would have a chang of heartt. It all about healing the land all over.

August 5, 2010 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Air Force Strong

How disgusting that CNN would use a picture of a mutilated girl like Bibi Aisha to make a case for this obscene war.I am completely repulsed.

August 5, 2010 at 8:05 am | Report abuse |
    • Grimlock

That makes two of us.

August 5, 2010 at 8:06 am | Report abuse |
      • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

That makes three of us,Grimlock and hopefully more.

August 5, 2010 at 8:08 am | Report abuse |
      • Grimlock

Daniel-2. No matter how many different names you comment under you are fooling no one. Everyone can see through your tissue of lies you are a laughing stock.

August 5, 2010 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse |
      • Grimlock

That's right,Phunnie boy.You might as well stop using my name ,too.

August 5, 2010 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
      • Grimlock

Who's name?

August 6, 2010 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Army is bad news

Yea, Air Force, the truth is a Beeeeooooccchhhhh!!!

August 5, 2010 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
      • Daniel-2

He can't stand the truth. It doesn't fit in with his distorted reality.

August 6, 2010 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  16. salerno

In every country women can suffer and actually suffer violence, but NO RELIGION IN HIS ORTHODOXY DOCTRINE APPROVES THIS. So please stop addebiting to religions the crime of the men !

August 5, 2010 at 7:51 am | Report abuse |
    • salerno

Don't bother you saddo.

August 5, 2010 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Razeshta Sethna

I read about aisha in this week's TIME- I was shocked when I saw the cover ut it is so essential that the world realize what has happened to the thousands of countless women like Aisha at the hands of the Taliban- before 9/11 and even now in areas of the country where they enforce punishments like what Aisha has suffered- And when the US makes deals with Taliban leaders- they call them good Talib- and the Kabul government, do they for a moment expect that the rights of women to live in dignity will not be compromised- How can they say that peace will come through negotiating with all stakeholders, Taliban included but at what price? Will the women of Afghanistan suffer the injustices they have had to bear for decades for the sake of compromise and peace and so that the US administration and forces in Afghanistan can go back home and say they gave the country bakc to the people and on good terms and without further bloodshed... I want the women and children of Afghanistan to saty safe and have security and their human rights unfringed, if the US makes deals with the Taliban, unlikely to change their treatment towards women.

August 5, 2010 at 5:05 am | Report abuse |
  18. soley

It is so sad to here all these unfortunate story's.God has created us as humen being.
    plese respect men kind and we all live and died in dignity.lets bring love on this beutifull planet.

August 5, 2010 at 12:45 am | Report abuse |
    • Daniel-2

The Devil created islam. Nothing good comes from it only degradation slavery and destruction.

August 5, 2010 at 7:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Daniel-2

Is that right,Phunnie boy?Can you use someone else's name to spew your ignorance?And how do you know that the Angel Gabriel didn't appear to Mohammed in 610 A.D.?Please,don't tear down someone else's religion under my name!

August 5, 2010 at 8:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • joe

you really need to pull your head out of your a$$$-it must be hard to breathe in there

August 11, 2010 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
  19. KHAN

i am muslim jsut becasue born in a muslim family, there is no other simple reason that any one love this religion, taliban is the real face of islam. being a so called muslim i hate islam.
    there is no religon but the truth

August 5, 2010 at 12:05 am | Report abuse |
    • Daniel-2

Well said, islam is a burden on it's followers.

August 5, 2010 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
      • Grimlock

You again,Phunnie boy!

August 5, 2010 at 8:20 pm | Report abuse |
  20. russian

religion its tool to control people, and God presents in the heart of every living thing. I hope in the near futer global warming will wipe barbaric nations from face of the earth , its too much suffering going there
    God bless America

August 5, 2010 at 12:03 am | Report abuse |
  21. Terry W. Brookman

Enough with the religious BS and America needs stop this. America if it does anything needs to exterminate all of them, get out the saran gas and spray the entire mess like the roaches they are. I would not waste one more American life over there, the entire bunch has an inbred genetic predisposition for violence.

August 4, 2010 at 11:53 pm | Report abuse |
  22. KC

No religions in the world have teachings whereby teach u to mutilate nose and ears.

August 4, 2010 at 11:25 pm | Report abuse |
  23. BBerry

He got it right. You are the one who were wrong. Wake up and see the light before you get consumed by the darkness of hatred.

August 4, 2010 at 10:37 pm | Report abuse |
  24. BBerry

You use the word "respect" for covering your woman from top to bottom. The real reason is to control your lust as you diaper heads wouldn't even leave your moms. Muslims of your kind are the filth on earth and should be purged.

August 4, 2010 at 10:30 pm | Report abuse |
  25. BBerry

True.. you really did not say anything about Muslims or Talib.. you somehow found a way to make her husband Hindu. Nice one.

August 4, 2010 at 10:25 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Dave

Imagine there's no Heaven
    It's easy if you try
    No hell below us
    Above us only sky
    Imagine all the people
    Living for today

Imagine there's no countries
    It isn't hard to do
    Nothing to kill or die for
    And no religion too
    Imagine all the people
    Living life in peace

August 4, 2010 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Silverhair

Dude! I was about to leave this page because the hate emanating from it became overwhelming!
      And then I saw your post.
      Amen, brother. Amen!

August 7, 2010 at 7:58 am | Report abuse |
  27. Geoffrey.H.

For such a tragic story I can't help but think so many thoughts. A young Intelligent and obviously beautiful woman has gone through all of this and still possesses what appears to be a very fierce resilient spirit. I can only imagine what such a woman given the opportunity could achieve in the world.

August 4, 2010 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Kris

What is crazy is that how this country is it has old beliefs and woman do not have rights in some area of this country but what is even sadder is that running away from her husband and having her nose and ears cut off must not have been punishment enough because now that she is dealing with the US you can almost bet when she returns from the US and he face is fixed her Talaban husband will kill her this time for sure!!! I am stationed over here now and its a sham to say we have local nationals that come work on the base and one day there there next you dont ever see them again so talaban most likely killed them for assocating with us and nato forces. Best of luck to her!!!

August 4, 2010 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
  29. ENB

Wow, the quality of the comments on this site is atrocious. Back to the New York Times!

August 4, 2010 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
  30. odracir

TAlibans...what do you expect from them.....except killings stoned womens and all kinds of barbaric acts? they are dangereous and I believe all civilized people and all womens in afghanistan shoul be thankful to the US to give them hope for a normal life...without the insanity of some.

August 4, 2010 at 8:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Boris

Do Taliban's have slaves? And what do their wives do for living? Which religion or government doesn't have slaves? Or are they using a different name such as in religion = followers, govt orgs = employees, taliban = wives to hide behind the true meaning?

Maybe its time you checked if you're a follower or a leader... either one you're still a slave because you are a believer.

August 4, 2010 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Azurite

Why not write it like you think it: Women should be trained to be good little victims with no personality of their own. God beware if they ever develop something like that – that would be too human, would it?
      Every man who prefers his woman mute and obeying, but not thinking for herself should just go and screw goats and sheep instead – they'd be much more adequate partners for his retarded mind.

I can't even begin to bring across how absolutely pitiful I find men who cannot take the least bit of criticism and conflict without getting violent or suppressing all this beforehand.
      Pathetic wimps, all of them... I would spit in each of their faces.

Yes, this doesn't have anything to do with religion or culture – this goes to any man of any culture who has a similar mindset. Come to think of it, actually, this also goes to women who have such a mindset.
      Anyone who cannot even face a partner on the same level and has to relieve their own insecurities and shortcomings through the degradation of others is just a sad excuse for a human being and should be rightfully treated like they like to treat others.

October 14, 2010 at 12:01 am | Report abuse |
  31. Sarim

:) I like that idea. I bet if the men were abused and treated like a woman for only one hour they would change thier way of thinking.

August 4, 2010 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Sarim

ALL – lets please focus on the gross human tradegy and NOT the religion...all religions are peaceful, it is humans that bring the evil in them for personal gain. This story is of a young woman mutilated by her talib husband. Talibs claim to be the true representation of islam but they are nothing but a group of vigilanties. PLEASE FOCUS, FOCUS on the 19 year old girl and all her pain.

August 4, 2010 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Sean

America is not doing enough in Afghanistan. Just drop in a million soldiers in Afghanistan and get the job done in a week. End of story!

August 4, 2010 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Free Spirit

I hope you are sarcastic. More troops will not work. Besides, the US does not have a million soldiers.

Before John Rambo showed up in Afghanistan, it was a relatively mild pseudo-communist regime where women were protected, educated and worked as doctors and teachers.
      Blame Congressman Charlie Wilson, Reagan and Brzezinski. If not for them, there would be no Taliban, this generation of Afghans could be as literate and non-threatening as neighboring post-communist Tajiks, Uzbeks or Uighurs. Or today's Vietnamese.
      Yankee, go home. For the sake of Aisha, and your own good, go home.

August 4, 2010 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |
  34. David Entrich, Portland, Me

Why bring her to the US??? Are we responsible for these barbaric people?? Let Karzi and the Afghan Govt deal with this!!!

August 4, 2010 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • SomeOnesWatching

We are all responsible for each other. To put yourself above anyone in need is a typical US arrogance.Until the Afgan Gov. is stable we should be more than willing to extend a helping hand to the innocent. You sound very barbaric in suggesting otherwise.

August 4, 2010 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • BUBBA--ALABAMA STYLE!!!

The "great" Americans want to live up to their reputation of being superior to others or so they think.

August 5, 2010 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse |
      • Rotorhead

Americans are superior to you. When I read a story like this and see the idiots defending this behavior I am reminded of it once again. You know it as well which is why you say the stupid drivel you say. Your punishment for your ignorance is leading the life are living. Best of luck, dum@$$$e$!

August 7, 2010 at 2:06 am | Report abuse |
  35. PhdGuy

Wow has everyone ever gone off topic here. I think it is great that this young lady gets to come over to the US to get the surgery she needs. I just wish we could all agree on one point and that it no matter where you are in the world there are mad men that do these things and it is up to us to stand up gainst this for humanity sake and be good to one another. Religion aside; lets be good people and not assume our way is the only way, but accept other ways as long as they do not hurt anyone.

August 4, 2010 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sarim

.....only if the world we lived in was that simple and with out prejudice. I agree with you, but that is wishful thinking my friend. .

August 4, 2010 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Free Spirit

Excellent point! I look forward to see what modern medicine can do to the face of this poor girl. Lets thank our science and technology, our engineers, scientists, doctors and our teachers of literature, math, chemistry and physics. There are people who make it possible to restore Aisha's face. They do real miracles. They define our time. Not Taliban. Not religion, which belongs in our past together with Black Plague and Inquisition.

August 4, 2010 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Saleem

Anyone who condones or tries to cover up for the Talib should, in my opinion, go live there under there rule or in Saudi Arabia. Always criticising so called western ideology, they never fail to use it when it's to their advantage.

August 4, 2010 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Smith in Oregon

Yes she is a poster child for horrific torture at the hands of a sick gang of Muslims. However, the American and NATO soldiers occupying Afghanistan is only delaying that from going on after leaving. Despite nearly 10 Years of occupation American and NATO troops have not issued personal side arms to the Afghanistan Women, not trained them in self-defense, have not offered to escort them to India where they could leave Islam forever and be educated.

This women is obviously being used to encourage the sentiment in the West to stay another 10 years. American troops should be issuing Afghanistan women with personal sidearms (pistols) and self-defense training.

August 4, 2010 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Free Spirit

Why only pistols? Women need to outgun the men over there. I say RPGs, AK47s, and Stingers. Give them explosives too! Also, why don't these women just nuke them all!

August 4, 2010 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse |
  38. ItsNotReligionPeople

Why do we assume that every evil act is becuase of religion? It is wrong. Fundamentally religion does not ask of these evil doings it is typically man that twists the words and finds basis for these acts. Every religion can be scrutinized for something in time that has happened but most of the time there was a man seeking power behind it. Remember religion is not here to provide power but rather cool the soul. So blame the man not the religion. This poor girl was hacked up like millions of women around the world are daily, maybe it is time to go back to the fundamentals of religion so we can all remember how people should be treated, and not the man made stuff, the fundamentals…

August 4, 2010 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  39. GreenRibbon

Everytime people ask me how I can support the Afghan war, I remember these woman. Besides, you don't have to support the war to support the troops.

August 4, 2010 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Free Spirit

Right. Support the troops!!!
      Two points:
      1. Aisha was awfully mutilated by her devout husband. Thousands of women and children were killed NATO bombs and bullets. Thousands more lost their limbs, eyes, faces.
      2. How many women are abused in Saudi Arabia? Millions. Why doesn't US invade them?

August 4, 2010 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
      • Grimlock

That's a very good question!

August 5, 2010 at 3:44 am | Report abuse |
  40. JohnDPublic

These countries don’t dare to train their women how to shoot an AK47 – 2/3 of the male population will be shot dead in less than a week by abused housewives. I can see why they are so scared of liberated women.

August 4, 2010 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Smith in Oregon

The 'prophet' of Islam, Muhammad was afraid of women and sought to dis-empower them thru various hard core taboo's. I agree the Afghanistan women should be armed and trained in self-defense. Being there another 10 years is not a solution, if anything it prevents a solution. Muhammad feared a large uprising of Muslim women, elite killing teams of Muslim women should be formed, heavily armed and trained to take out the Taliban fighters. The Muslim women would fight to the death and give absolutely no quarter. That's a lot of bang for the buck.

August 4, 2010 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Free Spirit

This is not so simple. Women are as brainwashed as men, some of them become suicide bombers. Poor Aisha if given an AK47 and brainwashed appropriately, could have been shooting at the US soldiers. Women in Afghanistan need education, not AK47s. And all people need education, not religion.
      Arguments about which religion is better is darn silly. In the (recent) past, Christian women were as abused as their Muslim sisters. It was in the 1960s when the idea of equal rights between women and men started getting into the mainstream in the USA. Religions create problems because all of them ask people to believe and obey rather than think and decide.
      As long as people "cling to their religion", they will "cling to their guns" . And, as Daniel says, the MIC will be happy to provide them. Sure, Taliban sucks, but so does Pat Robertson and catholic pedophiles.

August 4, 2010 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Underminer

John Q – You got that right pal. I think the tragedy of our overall strategy in the Middle East is that instead of going to war with them, we should have simply gone in and built shopping malls and fast food restaurants, especially with commercial enterprises that cater to women and are run by women? We could have had most of the women on our side and the zealots would be highly visible as, well, marginal zealots. Then we do what the Czech Republic did to the Communists – they have trivialized them and made many items reflecting Communist culture into tacky souvenirs. Now Communists are taken about as seriously as the Amish in the political world. So, what we need to do first is to have Disney or some other management group come in and set aside some area for a Taliban village and insist that both the men and women wear traditional garb, use traditional farm implements (donkeys, no tractors, etc.), go completely traditional. Anyone may live there, but everyone, must completely follow the rules, and oh yes, they must follow the rules in front of hoards of gaping tourists and essentially agree to be living exhibits. This means no Western medicine, etc. Just life in a time-warp. Then perhaps the rest of Afghanistan will marginalize these crazies.

August 5, 2010 at 12:37 am | Report abuse |
  41. Brooke

These people make me sick to my stomach. Their practices and beliefs are completely barbaric. Islam, Muslim, whatever, the way they wrap up their women and the way they treat them is beyond my comprehension. I cannot fathom a man selling his daughter to any man or handing her over to a bunch of men just knowing what is going to happen to her. These people are barbaric and have yet to reach civilization. I cannot stand to see these women wrapped from head to toe with only their eyeballs showing while their piggish husbands walk around in t-shirts and shorts just looking like they are some god. I don't want to hear the crap that these women like it. THEY DON"T. It is all they know. I feel for them even if they don't feel for themselves. They don't know any better. I saw a child the other day who was no more than 10 and she was wrapped from top to bottom. How can she frolick and play like the other kids? How can she swim or run around? It is just pathetic and these men with their holy ways would give anything to romp in the sack with an American woman. They are disgusting!!!!! I loathe all of them!

August 4, 2010 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sarim

Dear brooke, you sound like a talib by your unthoughtful comments. These are your opinions, some women may cover out of fear but some do it because they do want to. You sound just as closed minded as the talibs but to the other side of the spectrum. You sound like a fanatic. Your words are of one who is ignorant and uneducated, only such a person would condemn a very large group becasue a action of just a few. Very unresponsible. All you are doing is teaching hate to the western children as the talibs are doing the same to the eastern children.

August 4, 2010 at 7:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Free Spirit

Agree 100% on barbaric. A hundred years ago, women in america where wrapped up too, except of the face. Religious Jews are wrapped. How barbaric is that? Catholic priests are wrapped up.

August 4, 2010 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Free Spirit

Barbaric!! I must confess that I like how Lady Gaga looks. Less clothes, the better. Forgive me God. However, I can understand people to whom Gaga or Britney or another almost-naked woman on TV would seem as barbaric as hell itself.
      Brook, with all respect, we need to learn tolerance. I think that forbidding gay marriage is barbaric – they already live together, what is wrong with sighning some papers?

August 4, 2010 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • LoscoGA

Brook, you could not have said it any better.

March 5, 2011 at 4:30 am | Report abuse |
  42. Alex

I wish the American would start to imperialize the world. 1. to reap the natural resources 2. to civilize the people... kill several thousand and save several millions.

August 4, 2010 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Daniel-2

They already have and that's the biggest problem this world has today!If the Americans would only mind their own business and take care of their own problems,maybe the rest of the world might crawl out of it's economic mess and begin to prosper again but since the MIC(military-industrial-complex) is running things in Washington,that won't happen anytime soon!

August 4, 2010 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
      • Grimlock

How right you are,Daniel !!!

August 4, 2010 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
      • Grimlock

Get off my ID, Daniel-2, and lay off the damn acronym.

August 4, 2010 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • ItsNotReligionPeople

Americans? They are the worst to consider to run the world. America has all the problem of the world contained with in its own borders and they ignore those. Plus the arrogance of the Americans is overwhelming, they do not even know anything about any other country. UK sure, Canada, sure... USA never.

August 4, 2010 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
      • George Patton

How right you are!!! I couldn't have stated it better myself.My hat's off to you,Mr.!!!!!!!

August 4, 2010 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  43. American Expat

Having lived in an Islamic country for 8 years, I have many devout Muslim friends. They were shocked when I told them that I held them responsible for Islamic extremist atrocities. I told them this because they are true followers of Islam–loving, peaceful, generous people as are the majority of Muslims. This majority is guilty of not standing up in mass to condemn the atrocities committed in the name of their religion. They had to admit that I was right.

August 4, 2010 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dan

Very interesting-step back and ask yourselves THIS question–Why AREN'T the majority of Muslims coming out strongly and loudly against the supposed "small minority" of Muslim extremists?? The "majority's" silence is almost DEAFENING! They aren't coming out "en masse" to denouce terrorism because at the very heart of their being, they somewhat agree with what their "minority" extremist brothers are doing! Oh they won't tell you that-but it's true.

August 5, 2010 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Australian Expat

Sorry, Sorry, Sorry, American Expat, but the billions of US tax dollars in aid and weapons sent by your American Governments over the past 65 years to our dictators and royal families have muffled our voices and on thousands, if not millions of occasions, killed our dissenters against these US backed totalitarian regimes. We have a lot of work to do to show the world the true face of Islam, but Americans are the ones who should be saying sorry. Sorry they ever got into bed with Saddam and the Taliban not too long ago, and sorry they still are under the sheets with the likes of Mubarak in Egypt, and the countless other totalitarian regimes in Arabia and Africa. Sorry theyre being brainwashed and hoodwinked by the zionist media empire. And I forgot to mention a sorry for America's child "Frankenstein", or probably better put would be the satanic state today called Israel. Can I be any clearer! Im sorry its taken me so long to say it.

August 6, 2010 at 11:55 pm | Report abuse |
  44. desert voice

The animal that cut Bibi Aisha's nose and ears committed a crime against humanity. And so did the Islamic Courts which found no wrong with what was done! I would like some Muslems to stand up and say that they agree with me!

August 4, 2010 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • BBerry

Did a hindu beat you up or your papa anytime?

August 4, 2010 at 10:27 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Chuck Tabone

While my heart goes out to Bibi Aisha and the millions of women who are forced to endure a lifetime of living hell. The truth is religious fanaticism regardless of the religion thwarts basic moral reasoning. To angrily generalize and categorize members of any major religious domination as animals does not solve matters. Education is the only true key, if people can be indoctrinated to make immoral choices and treat fellow humans like dirt they can surely be educated to make moral decisions. The question is: Are we doing our part to make this happen?

August 4, 2010 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Daniel-2

The Russians did their part 30 years ago and failed, but they tried.What makes you think that NATO can do any better?

August 4, 2010 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
      • BUBBA--ALABAMA STYLE!!!

Drones!

August 5, 2010 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse |
      • BUBBA--ALABAMA STYLE!!!

Here's Phunnie boy again with his warped mind using my name.How revolting!

August 5, 2010 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
      • Grimlock

NATO can't do any better,Daniel.However,they can kill far more people than the Russians could with their superior firepower and that makes me sick to my stomach.

August 5, 2010 at 8:29 pm | Report abuse |
      • BUBBA--ALABAMA STYLE!!!

Well stated,Grimlock!

August 5, 2010 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
  46. BUBBA--ALABAMA STYLE!!!

Posting this picture of Bibi Aisha on this site is in very bad taste,especially for political purposes!

August 4, 2010 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • SomeOnesWatching

And you don't Summuz... I will take Watered Down over killing my own God...

August 4, 2010 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse |
  47. BTDT

Anything to make NATO look good! I expect this to get blamed on the Taliban,too!!!

August 4, 2010 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Reader

Well, it does say right there in the first line that she was "mutilated by her Talib husband." Please at least read the article before commenting.

August 4, 2010 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
      • luigi diana

è talmente bella che quel pazzo che ha fatto una cosa del genere non poteva mai sfregiarla.Una bella notizia ogni tanto fà dimenticare l'ignoranza di cui motli popoli sono ancora vittima inconsapevole.Un grazie ai dottori e allo staff medico

February 11, 2011 at 8:37 am | Report abuse |
    • The other Steve

Keep denying the truth, you idiots. The Taliban are a bunch of animals.

August 4, 2010 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
      • Air Force Strong

The other Steve or whoever you are,just knock off that right-wing mumbo-jumbo of yours!!!

August 4, 2010 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
      • Sarim

The talibs are a bunch of animals, they have no respect for human life or life itself. I get sick just seeing the name in print.

August 4, 2010 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • C. MEEK

What a ridiculous comment.......What does BTDT stand for? Born a Terrorist, Die a Terrorist???

August 4, 2010 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lorri

Wow are you serious? Maybe you just don't know how to read!

August 4, 2010 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
      • Gary Johndro

Lorri,me and you see eye to eye on this war.We need more people like you to support our war and glorious victory over Islam and the triumph of Capitalism.Thank you.

August 4, 2010 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • ld

easy for you to say i work there and know some of the locals . you don't understand the taliban. and if you have never been there you should keep your opinion to your uninformed self

August 4, 2010 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
      • Rotorhead

Yeah! I don't understand a culture that find this accepteble behavior. I need to go to cultural sensitivity training while Karzai works on a coalition Afghan government that includes the Taliban. I think the Germans needed to have Nazis in the Post WWII government as well. It all relative, right??

August 7, 2010 at 1:52 am | Report abuse |
      • Azurite

Do I really want to understand them? I don't think so. I think every person who can understand and condone what happens there seriously needs to get their head checked.

If Heinrich Himmler told you "You just don't understand us!", would that have made the Nazis better in any way?

October 13, 2010 at 11:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sarim

Why would you say that BTDT? talibs are a model of humanity and respect for life, they are such decent people. Why would you ever say that? Don't they stand for peace? People like you make me sick to my stomach. UUGGHHH!

August 4, 2010 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
      • joe

are you seriuos or just a moron?

August 11, 2010 at 9:08 am | Report abuse |
    • Talamox Smith

What religion, besides Islam, Judaism and Christianity, would allow this to happen?

August 4, 2010 at 11:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kay Danes

This is a tragic but all too familiar story in Afghanistan where women and children have been the victims of too much suffering at the hands of men; and where men have been the victims of too much suffering at the hands of mad men! But there is so much goodness in Afghanistan too. There are so many good Afghans who don't beat their wives or mutilate their daughters. And there are thousands of young girls being educated in high schools and universities all across Afghanistan. The young girls I met at the Herat University found my 'old fashion clothing' (Salwar Kameez) rather humourous as they stood before me in fashionable blue denin jeans and little sporty business jackets. I looked quite the milk maid and they giggled as I said 'Oh this is what they're wearing in the East (Nangarhar)'. There are still many horrific things happening in Afghanistan but I am more optimistic about the future, so long as the stabilisation continues.

August 5, 2010 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Laura

I think its great Bibi Aisha will get a reconstructive surgery and is very good that everyone get to know her story, but there are a lot more women that suffer the negative effects of religions and societies, girls and women are the first victims of violence of any kind always...

August 6, 2010 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Greg G

Bibi Aisha your Dopey husband succeeded only in making you more Beautiful... You have Captivating Beauty..

August 10, 2010 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • truthywood

Many Americans are worst than Talibans.

August 16, 2010 at 11:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • ajsha

I am a muslim and cutting ears and nose in Islamic religion is FORBIDDEN,and the talibans didn't do it,she is lieing,they are lying. The talibans are fighting for islam and Allahs law,the are practicing Allahs law and Allahs law forbiddes cutting faces. My opinion is that this is just a campange to make the talibans look like the terrorists. But the real terrorist are the american soldiers. PEOPLE WHY DON'T YOU GET IT: THE MUSLIMS ARE NOT THE TERRORISTS AND THE TALIBAN ARE NOT THE TERRORISTS.

August 17, 2010 at 10:39 pm | Report abuse |
      • Marcel

ofc you are a muslim....ofc everything bad about islam is a lie. she probably cut of herself to damage the image of the good and hard working taliban ..who never waste a a moment for the prosperity and peace of Afganistan and the world. i understand ure devotion for islam, but if u let this blind you...you are no better then the muslim men who did this. and ofc the aid workers in Afganistan..are shooting themselfs so..to damage islam. the school for girls are also burning down by magic... maybee dark magic... no..no.. peace loving muslim taliban...would have never done what muhamed hasnt himslef done..wage war..plunder...and kill in the name of a so called god. Peace ! Ignorant ! if you want to came and kill me and my family for my opinion .. i ll give you my adress so u cand come a show once more to the world how good is Islam !!! ..and everybody is lieying!. how could islam loving men and women stone people to death..or how could they put bombs .. yea america is doing that....i rather be a monkey..or a pig.. then have a mind closed by belief like all good peace loving muslim, who seem to find support in coran for the most horryble deeds...and then .. quick change the page and talk about love and peace..and how everybody is lieying .

August 21, 2010 at 2:52 am | Report abuse |
      • LoscoGA

Shame, I really feel sorry for people like you with no insight to what is happening in the real world today! You ajsha will remain a door mat to others because of what you are told and not what is the truth. Better still, why dont you go to that country and marry one of the men folk there and then report back.

February 23, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  48. natasha

not all muslims are bad...its just the bad ones that screw it up for everyone, especially the women, us women really get the short end of the stick.

March 21, 2011 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse |