August 3rd, 2010
  1. Joanne Long

In her introductin to this report, Barbara Starr said we'd see the effect of the policy putting the welfare of Afghan civilians ahead of that of our own troops. She meant, of course, that the escalating number of our soldiers' terrible injuries and deaths result from the prohibition against firing before they're that no civilians are present - an impossible task, given the nature of the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq.

But, though the program offered much information on the excellent, prompt medical care given the wounded troops, and the aid given to them by the VA and volunteer organizations as the survivors recover and seek training, housing and employment, nothing more was said of the key factor that Starrr had mentioned at the outset: that our troops are being maimed and killed in ever-increasing numbers because President Obama has required our military commanders to prohibit our soldiers from defending themselves. Isn't that odd? Or, for CNN, perhaps not.

August 8, 2010 at 2:42 am | Report abuse |
  2. Charles J. Giles 9/11 First Responder / Survivor

What can I say. Barbara Star's Report Journey Home was Phenominal. It shows that we Americans must appreciate, Support & Value the efforts of the Most Fierce Military in the World. I served in EMS for 17 years until I was injured on 9/11.I am now Bed Confined. I would have been honored & Humbled to be a Flight Medic for OUR HERO's that fight everyday so that All Americans can have Our Freedoms. Unfortunatly Freedom does come at a Cost. For Those who have made the Final Journey Thank You & May You rest in Peace & for those who have been injured May God watch Over You & Your Families & Thank You fro giving me my Freedoms. To Barbara & Cnn, God Bless You for such a phenominal Outstanding, Moving Story. America saw tonight what Our Heroes go Through. Thank You CNN.

August 7, 2010 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |
  3. James Martin

The hug at 40 seconds gives the impression of being fake even if it wasn't. SPC Reddin was woefully unprepared for being in front of a camera. The audience understands she is glad to be helping troops, but people will misinterpret several of her comments. She should never have revealed some of the injuries in such a manner. The reporter set her up for failure. It is difficult seeing some of these injuries at 27 years old, but it is also difficult being on a convoy at 19 years old. The question that solicited her response made her look self-centered. It is difficult being in the military regardless of age or background.
    I am glad to see this story showing how we bring servicemembers home, but it feels like there is an agenda. It could have been a serious look at how the US military is helping our own or showing some of the shortcomings. However, the whole thing looks and feels wrong. It will be interesting to see if CNN follows these same troops through discharge and into Veterans Affairs. That is something I would like to see as it will show the process and any shortcomings.

August 6, 2010 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
  4. Deck52

Well when I finish up my nursing degree I know what I will be doing.

August 5, 2010 at 10:31 pm | Report abuse |
  5. nathan bledsoe

I am a %100 ptsd service connected ARMY INFANTRY veteran, who was put in jail for four months for trying to kill myself a while back. Its sad that service members have to suffer for others mistakes.

August 4, 2010 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  6. Evan Mark

Learn about who the Taliban really are;

August 3, 2010 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • BBerry

What do you think about those blood thirst war mongers on the other side? Don't you think them of the same kind? Don't give me the action-reaction BS.

August 4, 2010 at 12:20 am | Report abuse |
    • salerno

I agree 100% with you Yacobi. the video is a propaganda for the war. I have also appreciated your attempt to esplain how really the Islam is respectful twords the women and how higly they are valued in his culture. We have a lot to learn from this.
      The veil for the women as wel as the step back versus men is a christianic prescription (epistola di San Paolo ai Corinzi).
      Western people have a lot to learn from the muslim cultuer and even most of our culture comes from the Islam.
      I think that the women in USA suffer a lack of consideration and they are submissive to men that press them to war.
      The country is becoming so militarised like Europe in the 30ies, that looks like a young women can be respected only if she joint the military and goes to war.

August 4, 2010 at 6:52 am | Report abuse |
    • Janice Cook

GOD BLESS ALL OUR TROOPS...... I'm a Mom of one of these soldiers who treats and transfers the wounded-Staff Sargent Leslie Cook is my son.

August 11, 2010 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse |