August 3rd, 2010

Taliban attempt attack on Kandahar air base

A group of Taliban insurgents launched an apparently unsuccessful attack on a major NATO base in Afghanistan Tuesday, according to international forces.

The insurgents used suicide bombers and ground weapons in their attempt to breach the perimeter of Kandahar airfield in southern Afghanistan, said Maj. Michael Johnson, spokesman for NATO's International Security Assistance Force (ISAF).

Another coalition source told CNN that a suicide bomber at the gate blew himself up.

Fazel Ahmad Shirzad, the security director of Kandahar police, said six Taliban insurgents, including two suicide bombers, attacked the airfield at midnight. One of the suicide bombers drove a tractor in an attempted attack on a security tower; another fired light and heavy weapons.

Six insurgents were killed and two civilians and an ISAF soldier were slightly injured, Shirzad said.

CNN's Barbara Starr and Atia Abawi and journalist Matilullah Mati contributed to this report.

Post by:
Filed under: Kandahar • Taliban
  1. tryecrot

August 28, 2011 at 7:56 am | Report abuse |
  2. Ganhar Dinheiro na Internet

Oi interessante este espaço parece bem desenvolvido.........bom trabalho🙂
    Adorei Continua assim !

February 22, 2011 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Madelaine Storniolo

Useful post. Have been trying to learn a new language on the net but not having much success, considering going to a local programme so this is useful, thanks.

October 27, 2010 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  4. dindy Sri lanka

Hope this war will end soon. hope no one will do a mistake like 9/11

September 1, 2010 at 1:08 am | Report abuse |
  5. Richard Diamond

Oh yeah I was there alright... right next to a cigar smoking, black velvet drinking Canadian by the name of James Howlett. Well I and the rest of the Marines followed Captain Steve Rogers forward till we saw the white in the enemy’s eyes. It was a night I'll never forget... Yeah, and what we didn’t kill the Air Force cleaned up with their guns ablazin and warheads on foreheads... it was like the 4th of July in August... Damn Bozo Taliban, guess there beliefs don’t include BYOB.

August 16, 2010 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  6. AME

Seriously people OPSEC... OPSEC... OPSEC... Its bad enough they talk strategy across the news. I was at KAF earlier this year and its not as bad as everyone makes it out to be... I was bored!!! And commenting is a freedom of speech if it scares you because a family member is there, then don't read it! And if you want to get a hold of that family member they have internet, email, and facebook.. Believe me there is a way to keep in touch... Send them goodies...

August 15, 2010 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
  7. NNN

Since it is too difficult to find bin laden in pakistan we should go back to iraq and try to find him there..

August 10, 2010 at 5:32 am | Report abuse |
  8. robbb

I bet his shoe lace got caught like in "Foot Lose".

August 10, 2010 at 3:49 am | Report abuse |
  9. Nezaras

Way to fact-check, CNN. The attack was around 12 NOON, not MIDNIGHT. Yes, as in the broad daylight. Pure genius, if you are Wiley E. Coyote.

August 9, 2010 at 5:04 am | Report abuse |
  10. Robrob

No, fantasy aside – the US did not "originally suppl(y) and trained the jihadists." We paid the Pakistani ISI to "suppl(y) and train" the NORTHERN ALLIANCE. If you remember, the Taliban/al Quada *assasinated* the leader of the Northern Alliance the day before 9/11. Two different organizations. Conflating them to "prove" your POV is lazy.

August 9, 2010 at 1:45 am | Report abuse |
  11. Noble9

Funny that the US gov't originally supplied and trained the jihadists. You reap what you sow...

August 8, 2010 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse |
  12. fanta

Why waste more Western lives when the enemy mixes freely with the population and just emerges to kill at will ! It hurts to see all those peopel brought back maimed and injured and for what ? it is going the same way as Nam !

August 8, 2010 at 12:27 am | Report abuse |
  13. Noble9

A tractor...awesome. What's next, they gonna ride a cow? And this is the organization that the US gov't says is the biggest threat...

August 7, 2010 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Willie12345

Hey, CNN, what about reporting : " ICE Union employees: ICE Director won't let us enforce U.S. immigration laws." ..... or our you still in Obama's back pocket?

August 6, 2010 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  15. C

All of the troops in that God forsaken country need someone watching over them. lol Robrob. You'd think these idiots would have enough sense not to attack such a large installation...

August 6, 2010 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
  16. James

My daughter just arrived on KAF a couple of hours ago, hopefully the troops guarding the perimeter keeps the trash from hurting my Girl.

August 6, 2010 at 6:51 am | Report abuse |
  17. Robrob

It's funny, the story says the attack happened at "midnight." Dang but that "moon" was awfully hot and bright sitting in the bunkers!

August 6, 2010 at 1:48 am | Report abuse |
  18. Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

You both are Idiots!!!

August 5, 2010 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
  19. C

This report is inaccurate...My husband was in the thick of things there when this happened. But hey, if they keep on coming to the airfield...just a good way to slowly get rid of all that trash.

August 5, 2010 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

I hope He has GOD watching over Him??? Because He will need it there!!!

August 5, 2010 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
  20. 2fast4u

i was there when they attacked. They can bring it.. but wont get far.. LOCK AND LOAD BABY ALL DAY

August 5, 2010 at 9:06 am | Report abuse |
    • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

I guess you must of ran the other way???

August 5, 2010 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
      • Robrob

Actually, if you read the story it was pretty much a turkey shoot. The ratio of M-4:AK was about 25:1.

August 6, 2010 at 1:51 am | Report abuse |
  21. Stryfe

They didnt succeed because they are stupid ignorant fools, who hide behind civilian women and children for shelter, if they want to be martyrs so bad, I hope they keep coming, I am here on KAF, and we will keep obliging them. Send them to hell where they belong

August 5, 2010 at 12:14 am | Report abuse |
    • Shiy gal

You tell em stryfe!!! I got your back dog! Okay, so I just dated my self with wayyyyy outta date slang. 😀

August 5, 2010 at 5:00 am | Report abuse |
    • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

What are you going to do kill them with Their chicken???

August 5, 2010 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
  22. jennie greenman

this is scary to hear, cause my husband is over there right now.
    You don't know how hard it is to hear this, if you don't know anyone over there right now.

August 4, 2010 at 10:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

You don't have to worry!!! They get Their information from FOX!!!

August 5, 2010 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Robrob

Jennie, ignore Larry. He obvously has an ax to grind. Be comforted knowing as bad as it may sound, it's a very large base and the enemy is quite inept. Not to minimize things but I am honestly more concerned about crossing the streets here than with the "bottle rocket" attacks.

August 6, 2010 at 1:56 am | Report abuse |
    • dindy Sri lanka

Dear green.. How is your husband? was he safe? you are in my prayers.

August 31, 2010 at 3:03 am | Report abuse |
    • dindy Sri lanka

Dear jennie, was he safe?you are in my prayers

August 31, 2010 at 3:05 am | Report abuse |
  23. David Crandall

I got a better idea, if we simply don't give them any aid, maybe so many Taliban and Al Qaeda will die we won't have to anybody to left to fight.

August 4, 2010 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jitendra

You hit the nail on the head. Turn off the dollar tap and you switch off the ISI genie, the mother of all terrorists.

August 5, 2010 at 8:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

We aren't... Russia and China are!!!

August 5, 2010 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Dennis 2547

As a retired US Army Veteran. Be thankful all of you that whether they are NATO forces or US Armed Forces if they were not doing there job daily we all might be speaking some foreign language in the US or elsewhere.
    War is not pretty never has been nor will it in the future. Our troops and those of our Allies give so much each and every day. I certainly did not join the military for the pay !! I believe that all those that serve because they have a full and complete understanding of the word Freedom. They also understand the meaning of DUTY HONOR COUNTRY.
    that is all.
    A retired US Army veteran from Northern CA

August 4, 2010 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Love our troops

Thank you for your service Dennis. I totally agree with your statement. To all those trying to point one group out over another as tougher or better, there is no "i" in team. Camaraderie is what it's all about. My husband is down range currently, and I love him dearly and pay close attention to his particular job, but I also understand that he has been aided by and fought next to fellow service-members of every service, many countries, and several job specialties. They are all heroes as are our veterans of past conflicts.

August 4, 2010 at 11:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

You can tell what Idiots never was in the Military and those that ever were... The ones in the Military know what they are talking about!!! The others want to take the troops home right away...

August 5, 2010 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |
  25. cindyhooke

My husband is at this base. He is a marine c130 pilot doing his job just like every other service member out there. You people need to pray for there safty....

August 4, 2010 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

I didn't know the Marines had any Pilots??? I know the Navy, Army and Air force does!!!

August 5, 2010 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
      • Robrob

All branches of service have pilots.

August 7, 2010 at 11:45 pm | Report abuse |
      • NC4LIFE

hey larry what kind of soldier are you then if you didnt know the USMC had pilots? You should be ashamed and also stop talkin about the attack, this isnt the forum.

August 9, 2010 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  26. BUBBA--ALABAMA STYLE!!!

Get real you w@nker.

August 4, 2010 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
  27. MaryM

I think it's hilarious that every service is taking credit for fending off the rudimentary attack. This is the first time I have heard of any Bulgarians (for instance) doing anything. Well, good job boys and girls. Keep up the good work.

August 4, 2010 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  28. OPSEC

Have any of you uniformed members ever heard of OPSEC?!?!?!

A little too much details being given out (ie. hole in the wire). Nice, now any knucklehead reading this knows that and what assets are available to support and defend the airfield.

August 4, 2010 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • MaryM

No one seems to care about protecting information. They didn't when I was in Iraq and they certainly don't now.

August 4, 2010 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
      • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

What I read couldn't help anyone but you Idiots!!!

August 5, 2010 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Duder

Stop taunting the rocket fairy.

August 4, 2010 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Wilk

I do like the white chocalet Mocha though and get one everyday. My only sheer enjoyment

August 4, 2010 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
    • Shiy gal

I know, I love the ice tea there. I love their tea so much, it almost breaks GO #1. Don't say it too loud or they will shut down the GB too! *snicker*.

August 5, 2010 at 5:03 am | Report abuse |
      • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

I rather have Thai tea!!!

August 5, 2010 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Shiy gal

dude, you suck!!! hahahhaha. I just can't get over how much that bites!! Guess I will have to keep going to the GB...*sigh*

August 4, 2010 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |
    • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

You need to see a Physicialist maybe He are She can help!!!

August 5, 2010 at 9:08 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Wilk

yes we have ice. contractor had his corperation send an ice maker lol

August 4, 2010 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
    • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

My Freezer makes my ice!!!

August 5, 2010 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Shiy gal

No Wilk, I am right next to them...if they get taken out so would I!!! This isn't secure....the talibans could be reading it!
    As to the brew maker...got ice?? That is the only reason I go to the green bean...we don't have ice on our compound😦. Well, that and I love their tea. I get one almost everyday!

August 4, 2010 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
    • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

That is the 3rd dumbest thing I heard so far!!!

August 5, 2010 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Wilk

I give up the location of Tim Horton. Its at the Canadian Compund. Course being the fake CIA agent I am....I read the flyer on the door going to get my Gyro.....Shiy Gal I brought my own brew tea maker. 8) but I do a ice tea with you at the G.B.

August 4, 2010 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
    • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

Right I'm the President of both the United States and Israel!!!

August 5, 2010 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Shiy gal

How about the weather? I really thought we were going to get thunderstorms today. I didn't feel any rain though. Anyone up for Tim Hortons??? Or an ice tea at the Green Bean?

August 4, 2010 at 8:50 am | Report abuse |
    • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

Do you expect the TEA PARTY to get anything right??? They are just as bad as FOX NEWs!!!

August 5, 2010 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
  36. g.i. joe

where did tim horton's move too? I love that place. as for the attacks....ruined my wait in line at KFC's. How can they call that original recipe. The Col. would be disapointed if he were still alive!!

August 4, 2010 at 8:44 am | Report abuse |
    • Shiy gal

It is near the bazaar. Don't want to give too much info...yanno?

August 4, 2010 at 8:55 am | Report abuse |
  37. JoeSoldier

We've been conned. Not fighting for anyone's freedom, fighting to make the rich man richer.

August 4, 2010 at 8:19 am | Report abuse |
    • BUBBA--ALABAMA STYLE!!!

What a cr@p try at propaganda. Try harder.

August 4, 2010 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

That was in Iraq not Afghanistan!!!

August 5, 2010 at 8:56 pm | Report abuse |
  38. moto troop

dont discuss the attacks, thanks

August 4, 2010 at 8:16 am | Report abuse |
  39. duder

David thats bogus! Maybe 166 tired of standing in a bunker.
    I think its Charlie Browns teacher thats doing the annoucements.

August 4, 2010 at 8:07 am | Report abuse |
    • Robrob

Yeah, what's up with that? "Wha, wha, wha, wha..."

August 6, 2010 at 1:44 am | Report abuse |
  40. Shiy gal

166 servicemen killed??? wow, what base was I on then?? Cause I don't remember seeing 166 service men killed!!!

August 4, 2010 at 7:48 am | Report abuse |
  41. David

Interesting, while this report may be textually factual as written it is interesting that other sources include that 166 service men were killed in this attack. You never know what to trust anymore in the news.

August 4, 2010 at 7:15 am | Report abuse |
    • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

It all depends where you get your news!!! I watch MSNBC Myself...

August 5, 2010 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Robrob

166? Sounds like someone confused "6" dead Talibanis.

August 6, 2010 at 1:46 am | Report abuse |
  42. SFC

Grimlock.... please tell me your just kidding! Other than that I love the cloud cover we have today and the executive summary on the SIPR is awesome.

August 4, 2010 at 7:13 am | Report abuse |
  43. SFC

Roger That JDOC! Just read whats on the SIPR. Oh yea , you were 15 min late for the 12:00 test today!!!!

August 4, 2010 at 5:39 am | Report abuse |
    • CI

Do you have a brain? Use it and funnel your thoughts if you have any before typing...retard

September 20, 2010 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
  44. JDOC

There was a tractor, there were suicide bombers and plenty of mortars. For those at KAF, check the classified intel report.

August 4, 2010 at 4:01 am | Report abuse |
  45. SFC

Wow, That was real constructive nuckelhead!

August 4, 2010 at 1:25 am | Report abuse |
    • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

I'm still waiting for someone to say something that is true and worth reading!!!

August 5, 2010 at 8:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • CI

You as well as everyone else commenting should really think before typing...OPSEC! I would take this warning seriously now and in future postings you make. You can be identified.

September 20, 2010 at 9:16 am | Report abuse |
  46. Monty

This story makes me laugh... they attacked at midnight... they need to get their time of day strait... it was the middle of the day not the middle of the night... just proves you can't rely on the media for the truth.

August 3, 2010 at 11:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Grimlock

You can say that again,Monty!

August 4, 2010 at 6:28 am | Report abuse |
      • Daniel-2

Don't be such a suck-up.

August 5, 2010 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

Don't you have anything better to say???

August 5, 2010 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

What can you expect when you get your news from Fox???

August 5, 2010 at 8:51 pm | Report abuse |
      • American "Crusader" in Afghanistan

Uh, this is a CNN website...

August 21, 2010 at 7:45 am | Report abuse |
  47. Evan Mark

Please learn about who the taliban really are:

August 3, 2010 at 10:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dan

Ah, yes...the "crimes" of Abu Ghraib....pretty much amateur hazing. Most frat brothers have endured worse. Stupid and disgraceful, yes. crime? get real. check out what went on in Abu Graib during Hussein's reign of terror, and you'll understand what "crimes" means.

August 3, 2010 at 11:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • USAF

Evan,are you a propagandist for the right-wing thugs in Washington,or what???

August 4, 2010 at 6:22 am | Report abuse |
      • USAF D.C.

Again using my ID. Sad poor little soul.

August 4, 2010 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |

If You Say So!!!

August 5, 2010 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Teresa

Thank you all for all you do to protect those of us that are not strong enough, willing, or able to fight. I heard something the other day that I really liked; a guy said, "I am a soldier fighting for my rights." He was quickly corrected by a SOLDIER, "You are not a soldier. Soldiers fight for the rights of others!" Very well put. My daughter and son-in-law are part of the 100% volunteer American military and I support and pray for all of you.

August 3, 2010 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gary Johndro

Me too,Teresa.YABA-DABA-DOO!

August 4, 2010 at 6:31 am | Report abuse |
      • Anabel

I concur.

August 4, 2010 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

MAY GOD BLESS ALL THE MILITARY FIGHTING FOR THE RIGHTS OF THE PEOPLE!!! ( Sorry for the Capital Letters... ) LOL

August 5, 2010 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Mother of a soldier

Thank you to all the NATO forces that are fighting for our freedom. God Bless all of them

August 3, 2010 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gary Johndro

That's what I say.

August 4, 2010 at 6:20 am | Report abuse |
    • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

What I like to know is where they are fighting??? It sure isn't the front line!!! Only the Afghanistan, England and the United States are there...

August 5, 2010 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Richie

I call the vapor given off the poo pond the name of "creeping death", the way the light hits it from out here on the flight line you can see it rising in the middle of the night when the wind is still. Then the stink kits you and you vomit a little in your mouth and die a little each breath of the poo particles in the vapor. sheesh.

August 3, 2010 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shiy gal

Richie...that was almost poetry! I always say, nothing says romance like a stroll around the poo pond.

August 4, 2010 at 12:24 am | Report abuse |

So don't breath it!!!

August 5, 2010 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • American "Crusader" in Afghanistan

The guys in my office have scientifically determined that after spending a year on KAF and the Poo Pond, each person has eaten the equivalent of one turd...

August 21, 2010 at 7:43 am | Report abuse |
  51. Mr Goof

To the men and women of the united states armed military forces. I am an a episcopalian christian and I salute you people.
    God Bless!

August 3, 2010 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gary Johndro

Me too,YABA-DABA-DOO!!!

August 4, 2010 at 6:19 am | Report abuse |
    • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

I'm a Jew so what does that prove??? You sure aren't better than everyone else!!!

August 5, 2010 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
  52. JAMES

SN, WILK

August 3, 2010 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  53. KAF_L

I heard the loud speaker very clearly .... it went "wah wah wah wah wah" (Just think Charlie Brown).

August 3, 2010 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shiy gal

Toooo Funny!!!

August 4, 2010 at 12:22 am | Report abuse |
    • Gud_luk_ch@rm

I CANT STOP LAUGHING ABOUT THE SPEAKER AND THE POO POND LMAO.. YOU GUYS BACK HOME HAVE NO IDEA HOW THAT SMELL WILL STICK IN YOUR BRAIN AFTER YOU PASS THE POO POND. AND THE SPEAKER... ITS REALLY LIKE CHARLIE BROWNS TEACHER.. NO JOKE. WE SIT IN THE BUNKER... WONDERING WHAT THE HELL THEY SAID. I WANNA KNOW WHAT THEY SAY SO I CAN GET MY STUFF READY. AND PPL WORRY ABOUT CELLPHONES AND INTERNET.. U MIGHT WANT TO RETHINK WHERE THE HELL U ARE! OH sidenote... THAT ATTACK DIDNT HAPPEN AT 12 MIDNIGHT.. I HAVE NO IDEA WHY U BEAT AROUND THE BUSH. WE DONT NEED TO BE IN THIS COUNTRY. WE NEED TO TAKE THE WOMEN AND KIDS OUT OF THAT PLACE.

August 6, 2010 at 10:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Frank

hahahahahaha

August 10, 2010 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • American "Crusader" in Afghanistan

Maybe we could get an "English" translation or sumpin'.

"Robot a Dad! ... Robot a Dad!" and "Ah Cleeeyah! ... Ah Cleeeyah!"

What does that mean?

August 21, 2010 at 8:29 am | Report abuse |
  54. 1MG

shut up.

August 3, 2010 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  55. David

I say get out of the muslim countries – don't let them into our country – there will never be peace in the countries because islam is a violent religion. Not sure why everyone can't understand this and just accept it – quit fighting it. I don't give a rats ass about anyone in the middle east. Just want to live my life in the US, don't want to see women all covered up in that stupid ass garb, -all Muslims can burn in HELL – I don't care and me and my family go to church every Sunday. but there comes a point where you have to say enough is enough – let them fight among themselves.

August 3, 2010 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • D

David, I'm in the military. I understand what you're saying. My parents feel the same way. People need to understand that we are there to hopefully prevent future attacks on American soil. Our nation will not stop immagrants from coming into our country. Regardless how much you or anyone else think we should. I believe that if we leave the Muslim countries, we are leaving the innocent people in those countries in the hands of the extreamisst and then the entire Muslim nations will hate us. We'll have an even bigger problem at that point.

August 3, 2010 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
      • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

Come on,D.Do you really believe all that right-wing manure you just blogged in here? I don't so cut it out!!!

August 4, 2010 at 6:17 am | Report abuse |
      • Bledsoe

Show some respect to those who have a greater insight than yourself.

August 4, 2010 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • CA

Just fot the record, Islam is not a religion based on violence. Its bigoted idiots like you who make this world a messed up place. The terrorist leaders are using a religion to meet their own goals, not the goals of a religion. I know many people who are Muslim that DO NOT agree at all with what the terrorists are doing. The leaders of these terrorist gorups learned long ago that people will blindly follow you if you just cover it with a religion that they hold dear. Televangelists do it every day here in America with gimmicks based on Christian faiths just to earn a paycheck. It is sick and wrong to use faith of any kind to meet your personal goals or to commit violent act but the sad truth is it happens, and we can't just blame everyone who is part of that beleif system fo rthe acts of a few. So, next time before you go calling any group of people anything unkind get your facts straight.

August 3, 2010 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
      • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

If it isn't... Why do they keep on saying that Their Bible tells them to do the Killing They do??? I know the Jewish Bible says (Thou Not Kill )!!! But GOD knows what happens to the Jewish People when They go by that Law... That is Why GOD made us a better Killing Machine!!!

August 5, 2010 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bledsoe

Make sure the doctor isn't a muslim.

August 4, 2010 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
  56. James

My daughter leaves tomorrow for that base to work for a contractor, I sure hope the reports from the news do blow things out of proportion.

August 3, 2010 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kat

James, will have your daughter in my prayers. God bless.

August 3, 2010 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
      • Wilk

AECOM James?

August 3, 2010 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • olaf krygynzki

they blow it way out of proportion! honestly im not trying to sound insensitive, the thing she will have to worry about most is the hungry eyes of the men on this base. you have nothing to worry about

August 3, 2010 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Wilk

Wonder how much a disaster it would been if they nailed Tim Horton......been fun to watch to keep the insurgents out and the euro from going out

August 3, 2010 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kat

Wilk people like you scare me more than our own enemy.

August 3, 2010 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
      • Wilk

All good Kat. 90% of the line at Tim Horton is Euro. McChrystal tried to shut it down but it falls under NATO. Hardly ever see a euro at Green Bean. Are you at KAF Kat?

August 3, 2010 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jen

So happy they moved Tim's, hahaha... a couple of my co-workers got stuck in there during the attack, and got to eat donuts. I got woken up, and spent the next couple of hours trying to decipher what the J-Doc dude was saying. "What? Was that the all clear, or did they just say to stay in the shelters? Crap, I don't know!"

August 3, 2010 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
      • American "Crusader" in Afghanistan

Maybe we could get an "English" translation or sumpin'.

"Robot a Dad! ... Robot a Dad!" and "Ah Cleeeyah! ... Ah Cleeeyah!"

What does that mean?

August 21, 2010 at 7:36 am | Report abuse |
  58. Kat

My son and his wife are there NOW. We all need to keep them (all the brave soldiers) in our prayers and thoughts. Whether we like it or not, our neighbors, family and friends are fighting these monsters and we need to support the troops. Thank you all.

August 3, 2010 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  59. D

I left there a little over three months ago. I agree with a couple comments at the top...Don't believe what you read/hear in the news. Everything that was reported on what they/we did, the numbers were inflated. Whether it was lives saved or enemies killed, numbers and facts were way off.

August 3, 2010 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Jay

Loadspeaker man was in true form today. Didn't understand a single word. Sounded Eastern European.

August 3, 2010 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Goody

AHahhaa good stuff.

"This is a msg from the JDOC, garble garble garble, end of msg, end of transmission" How come we can always understand the unimportant stuff...?

August 3, 2010 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
      • lizzyyy

Its sad that I can understand the prayer around 0400-ish that plays EVERY night outside the wire, better than I can our own loudspeakers. lol Gotta love KAF, SMDH.

August 3, 2010 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
      • GregG

"...Ro-kit at-tack. Ro-kit at-tack..." Been there. Heard that British voice before.

August 3, 2010 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Harv

The loudspeaker wasn't a factor yesterday. nor was the alarm. My battle and myself heard multiple blasts before the alarm decided to go off. I work in ordnance and I can assure you that what we heard was a blast, most likely from a motar or rocket and not from a suicide bomber. Based on where we heard the blasts, there was no possible way it could've been a result of a suicide bomber, also....I'm reading this report and this does not seem accurate at all to what ACTUALLY happend.

August 4, 2010 at 2:49 am | Report abuse |
      • shane

stay writting paper work and let us soldiers who were there tell what really happin. you fobbit

August 7, 2010 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
  61. cp

You all boys crack me up. Thank you for defending our freedom here in the US. No one can imagine the sacrifices you are making. Stay safe.

August 3, 2010 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Wilk

Did anyone truly understand what the guy was saying on the loudspeaker during the attack lol.

August 3, 2010 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Richard Diamond

This is a message from the Gay Duck – QUACK QUCK QUCK!!! LOL. No but seriously there are to many english accents in movies today...

August 3, 2010 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Richard Diamond

This is a message from the Gay Duck – QUACK QUCK QUCK!!! LOL. No but seriously there are too many english accents in movies today...

August 3, 2010 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brown

I think they should get Sean Connery to do the JDOC announcements...

"This is a message from the JDOC......."

August 3, 2010 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
      • Shiy gal

Hmmm, now THAT is something a gal could dream about Brown!! Would love to hear Sean's voice every time there was an announcement. I had to ask about 4 folks to try and understand what the VOICE was trying to say. And I am right near the Tim Horton's (new location), so I sure don't want it to get hit!!!

August 4, 2010 at 12:20 am | Report abuse |
    • Gud_luk_ch@rm

WHOS BRIGHT IDEA WAS IT TO BUILD THIS INSTALLATIOIN AROUND A POO POND!!!!? AND FOR GODS SAKE... CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TAKE THE MIC FROM THE NON-ENGLISH SPEAKIN IDIOD WHEN A ATTACK HAPPENS? WE HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THE HELL HE SAYING!... TO ME, IF I DONT UNDERSTAND IT.. IT MEANS LOCK AND LOAD OR EITHER PUT UR GEAR ON. LMFAO. WHOS IN CHARGE OF THE INTERCOM? LOL

August 6, 2010 at 10:29 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Richard Diamond

Damn Taliban woke me up toward the end of my sleeping period. Damn Bozos, Oh im calling people bozos now.

"Well, you see, this is the problem with terrorists. They're really inconsiderate when it comes to people's schedules."
    -Harry Tasker

August 3, 2010 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • BUBBA--ALABAMA STYLE!!!

Hey Dan,knock it off with all that right-wing bla-bla-bla.It gets quite sickening after a while.

August 4, 2010 at 6:13 am | Report abuse |
    • Dan in Lafayette,IN

There was no freedom under the Taliban rule. They were just terrorizing the people there to stay in power under religious laws that are outdated with cruel and unjust punishment!

August 4, 2010 at 8:02 am | Report abuse |
    • Dan in Lafayette,IN

Bubba if you do not think America works for the good of the people of the world then you aught not be an American, move back to Africa.

August 4, 2010 at 8:14 am | Report abuse |
  64. Capteo

It happened at 12 noonish, not midnight.

August 3, 2010 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  65. SFC

SMH and RAY, Yes thats good stuff. lol. If the folks back home only knew of that great aroma. Good times!!!

August 3, 2010 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • GregG

the 8 pm poo smell is not anything good.

August 3, 2010 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • going soon

Hey guys I will be there soon i see you have internet do cell phones work as well i know you can't use them out side the wire but may be on the large bases? see ya soon

August 4, 2010 at 8:31 am | Report abuse |
      • NC4LIFE

CELLPHONES are you joking? What do they teach you guys?

August 9, 2010 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
      • American "Crusader" in Afghanistan

I have a Blackberry Storm II and Verizon global service. I email, text, and call home on a regular basis. It's worked everywhere I've been...other than FOB Leatherneck for some reason...

August 21, 2010 at 7:27 am | Report abuse |
  66. Ray

In stead of shooting them, we need to detain them and chuck them into the poo pond for a couple hours, then send them back out through the ECP after a thorough tar and feathering and let their fellow taliban handle them for not accomplishing their mission.....

August 3, 2010 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  67. smh

i am here too. they can have the poo pond

August 3, 2010 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  68. SFC

Part......Doux, I am here too. And I agree with you as well. Maybe they want controll of the Poo Pond!

August 3, 2010 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
    • Brown

Go poo pond!! I really love to take long walks along the poo pond beach. It provides such a lovely smell across all of Kandahar, but it is really best up close and personal.

As for today...I am very, very thankful for all of our OUTSTANDING security force professionals for keeping the rest of the base safe. They put their lives on the line and saved our bacon today–yes I am here too.

August 3, 2010 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Eva Beames

My son will be there soon.... just wondering what its really like. If you don't mind email me please.

August 5, 2010 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Part...Doux

I was here when it went down today, it wasnt midnight, there were no tractors, just a whole bunch of dead idiots trying to prove a worthless point. The media (ESP CNN!) Reeeeealllly likes to report the wrong stuff... you guys put WAY TOO MUCH FAITH in the news. Please stop beleiving all the sensational news stories they put out that are in fact totally false. Praise the men and women fighting the good fight keeping these guys at bay and an oceans length away from you over there in the US. We have the most magnificant fighting machine in the world! Suicide bombers are nothing but a bad joke. Really, isnt a susiced boming kind of coutner productive when you kill ONLY yourslef haha!!! Idiots!

August 3, 2010 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
    • Jay

Actually, there was a red tracker at the site. It blew up about 100m from where the suicide bombers hit the wire. As for the rest of the knuckleheads, the only thing that breach the wire was body parts.
      Just like the last one, it was a totally halfhearted attempt, to get headlines.

August 3, 2010 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |

i was definatly there...no tracters except a couple dump trucks 600m out. dont bs yourself, no vbied only a couple suicide dudes. trust me i was there

August 3, 2010 at 11:23 pm | Report abuse |
      • Jay

"No" Go take another look then. Go to where the hole in the wire is and look out about 100m, just to the right of the mudhut. One of the suicide bombers blew himself up while riding that tracker, most likely by accident. The tracker itself wasn't packing explosives but the guy driving it sure was. The guys in the tower saw the whole thing. I agree that what gets reported is usually not the full truth. Then again, NATO puts out information that is reported to them and that's not always correct at first.

August 4, 2010 at 4:18 am | Report abuse |
      • S2

Hey! Way to discuss classified information on an unsecure network! Now the freaking enemy knows our assets and how we respond to those kind of attacks! You're doing great things for those in uniform! No wonder we've been in this freaking country for almost 10 years now! Good job!

August 5, 2010 at 1:00 am | Report abuse |
      • big load

yeah what a bunch of fools-and its spelled TRACTOR! probably desk jockies posting all this wishing they were SF...but you cant do that cause youre on a PROFILE

August 5, 2010 at 1:40 am | Report abuse |
      • beachbatt

You guys are out of control!!! who cares that you got into a little firefight on the FOB. Attacks happen and obviously when they occur on a fob like KAF the enemy didn't think it through.

October 22, 2010 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Soldier In Afghanistan

CNN get your sources right and stop making stuff up.

August 3, 2010 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
      • Claire Unangst

My son Vital Boisset has been wounded today and his in surgery in Kandahar Air Base now with 3 others brave soldiers: could somebody give me news ?

August 5, 2010 at 11:15 pm | Report abuse |
  70. W

Yes really.

August 3, 2010 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
    • BTDT

You don't say!!!Are you a mouthpiece for these right-wing prpagandists?

August 3, 2010 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
      • Bledsoe

Are you Daniel-2?

August 4, 2010 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
      • big load

bledsoe I know who you are...and where you hang out

August 5, 2010 at 1:41 am | Report abuse |
    • Bledsoe

big load. I know what you are and who you hang out with. You are an embarrassment to your family.

August 5, 2010 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Kiril

They did not succeed because Bulgarian guys are defending the airport! They are stronger and braver than everybody else in NATO paratroops.

August 3, 2010 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
    • W

They didn't succeed because there are hundreds of thousands of outstanding men and women fighting for everyones freedom. It doesn't matter if they are Bulgarian guys, Americans, Germans, or Italians.... they are all hand in hand fighting together. No need to try and point out one individual group when there are several different groups to be mentioned.

August 3, 2010 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
      • Andrew Lubin

Really,W?

August 3, 2010 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
      • Craig

W,well said brother!

August 3, 2010 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
      • Mother of a soldier

I thank wwhich ever group stopped them. I pray for everyone there. My baby girl is there, and I want her and everyone to be safe.

August 3, 2010 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
      • kevin

Does the W mean GW bush? I was there on a deer huntin trip and bagged 3 with one shot off my 30;06 auto. I lobbed one over the tower and it skipped off the water tank then bounced over the PX were the marines were hanging then through the john's were the airforce grunts were taking a nap. I then threw my knife past the bulgarian sleeping at the gaurd shack and hit the iraqi insurgent in the heart. There got ya all.

August 7, 2010 at 2:00 am | Report abuse |
    • Chris

If Bulgarian troops are so good, why weren't there any casualties?

August 3, 2010 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
      • kevin

cause there so good they killed em, then cleaned up the mess so the general would'nt get his shoes dirty, end of story.

August 7, 2010 at 2:03 am | Report abuse |
    • Wilk

I think everyone that around the airfield protects the airfield. Cause everyone KNOWS its the final point to fly to Hell out of here when leave

August 4, 2010 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
    • shane

you might want to thank the canadians

August 5, 2010 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
      • kevin

Yes, thank you Canada for supplying the donuts.

August 7, 2010 at 2:05 am | Report abuse |
  72. Rick

I was there in May and they didn't even come close to breaching the wire. They chose the WRONG part of the base to attack, where 2500 angry Marines were waiting to get shipped out to area FOBS.

August 3, 2010 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
    • Jay

I was at the attempted breach point on May 22nd, right before they made the attack and the entire night after that. I did not see a single Marine the whole night. The only troops there were base security and US Army Pathfinders.

August 3, 2010 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
      • Harv

Hey Jay, I was also present May 22nd....crazy night..to say the least. I was here yesterday too

August 3, 2010 at 11:32 pm | Report abuse |
      • john

Are you kidding me? We (Marines) were on the fence line laying down fire before the helicopters took over during the May attack. You didnt see the Marines because we dont hang out at the PX and coffee shops.

August 4, 2010 at 3:30 am | Report abuse |
      • Jay

John, if you are talking about 22 May on the northern fence line of KAF by the cement factory, then you are absolutely delusional, but there were other areas attacked that night too. Maybe you are refering to a different incident that Marines were involved in. The first friendly shots fired that night after the 3 dudes ran up to the wire and threw something over was by the Kiowa over head, followed up by another Kiowa, then an Apache, then the tower guys for good measure. Those were the only shots fired by coalition in that northern area.

August 4, 2010 at 4:41 am | Report abuse |
      • Jason

Jay – you seriously need to get re-certified on your OPSEC training. Either that or seperate.

August 30, 2010 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chris S

Oddly enough...it was the Air Force that repelled that attack...not Marines, not US Army...Air Force...Gotta love the boys with the blue beret!! Give credit where credit is due...Air Force Security Forces showed the Taliban why its a bad idea to attack an Airbase...just as they showed the Viet Cong back in Vietnam.

August 3, 2010 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
      • Fro

It was actually the Canadians with a striker. Trust me, I was out there with no kit and the AF guys didn't get there until there were 4 Apaches in the air and everything was done.

August 3, 2010 at 11:50 pm | Report abuse |
      • Harv

Fro is correct, I witnessed it. And you best believe I HEARD it.

August 4, 2010 at 2:53 am | Report abuse |
      • daniel 02

Actually a contingent of girl scouts were in the area selling cookies to the taliban and they took them out with some frags and a SAW, the taliban is now their best customer.

August 4, 2010 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
      • Robrob

Believe me, a squad of Girl Scouts couldhave stopped this "attack." I don't know if they actually thought it might work or they are just that desperate.

August 5, 2010 at 7:26 am | Report abuse |
      • shane

to your beloved airforce on the day of the third it took them 25 min to get up in the air by then there was no threat because of ground troops. and i know this cause i was there

August 5, 2010 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Andrew Lubin

Not a surprise. They almost breached the wire in May; why would they not try again?

August 3, 2010 at 9:59 am | Report abuse |
    • olaf krygynzki

i dont know where you got that from but "almost" is giving them way too much credit.

August 3, 2010 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joey

OPSEC, people!!!!!!!

August 5, 2010 at 3:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Jason

Lubin...first off, you're wrong. They ran for the fence, were shot at, and then ran away. Second, you are talking a little too much. Work on keeping your mouth shut.

August 30, 2010 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Gary Johndro

I'm certainly glad they didn't succeed,aren't you?YABA-DABA-DOO!!!

August 3, 2010 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |

Tony_Homeless_VA.pdf (653KB)

August 3, 2010 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mark

Me too! We'd have probably made better progress if the liberal media wasn't trying so hard to discredit the war effort and make us sound like we're being beaten. When you compare casualty rates in this war to WW2 and other conflicts, these don't even come close. Instead of demoralizing our troops by questioning their effectiveness and undermining support for what they're doing, they should be supporting the country that gives them their freedom of speech.

August 7, 2010 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
      • Mitch

I support the troops 100%. . . but I cannot support the war in Afghanistan, simply because it has not been successful. Are we any closer today to catching Bin Laden and putting an end to Islamic Extremism than we were a decade ago?

No. This is not the fault of the troops at all. Catching terrorists (on their own turf) is nearly impossible for an organized military like our own. History is filled with "invincible" armies who were laid low by protracted struggles with guerilla fighters on their own turf, and there is no logical reason to think that we are any different. Heck, that's a big part of how we won our independence. And no place on Earth has the history of insurgency as Afghanistan. They brought the Soviet Union to it's knees after a protracted struggle over years and years.

This is not a defeatist view. This is a realistic view. Al-Qaida can be stopped, but I have seen no evidence that it can be stopped by a large military force. If you can find an example where guerilla insurgents were defeated on their own turf a large Military, let me know.

In my view the proper way to defend against terrorism is through intelligence and securing out infrastructure. Of course, we will never be able to afford those protections as long as we have to dump our resources into expensive wars. The successes we have had in the fight against Al-Qaida have almost ALL been through Intelligence, not bombs and guns. Our fine men and women in uniform do and will continue to protect our lives and our rights, but is Afghanistan really where they need to be? Or do they need to be marshalling their strength, honing their skills against other Military threats, like North Korea, for example.

We've got tunnel vision when it comes to this "war" on Terror. We're putting so much resources and effort into this that our real opponents are able to take advantage of it. Al-Qaida is dangerous, for sure, but they cannot destroy our nation or take away our freedoms. We need to be prepared to face those enemies who can.

August 9, 2010 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • brian

Gary. They did succeed. They killed 196 americans and nato but CNN is not telling this. Search for this attack and you will find 196 people died in this attack. This is Propaganda,

August 10, 2010 at 7:00 am | Report abuse |
      • Frank

Brian: Have be watching Al-Jazeera again????

August 10, 2010 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
      • Cola

LOL...really? I was there for the attack. The CNN report is correct.

August 12, 2010 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
      • Jason

You are not getting your info from a reliable source. A handfull of Talibs will NEVER breach the walls of a base of over 20,000. This attack was laughable.

August 30, 2010 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
      • Serving on KAF

You should really reconsider the source from which you get your information. If you had spoken to someone who was there for the attack and witnessed it, you would find that the success you are talking about if false. 196 Americans and NATO?! Listen, until you are witnessing what we do on a daily basis you need to keep you mouth shut with the "statistics". The only part of this report that may not be accurate is the time. They don't specify if its midnight in the US or if its midnight here in Afghanistan. As far as Propaganda, Brian don't insult the American and NATO forces that serve here with that B.S.

September 19, 2010 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |