July becomes deadliest month for U.S. troops in Afghanistan
July 30th, 2010

July becomes deadliest month for U.S. troops in Afghanistan

Six U.S. service members were killed in southern Afghanistan in the last two days, the NATO-led command said, making the death toll in July the deadliest month for American forces since the war in Afghanistan started nine years ago.

On Friday, one service member died in an insurgent attack and the two others in an improvised explosive device strike, NATO's International Security Assistance Force said. On Thursday, IEDs killed two troops in one incident and another service member in another, ISAF said.

Their deaths bring the July tally to 66. A total of 88 international service members, including Americans, have died this month.

MORE: Home and Away: Casualties in Afghanistan and Iraq

It is no coincidence that IEDs caused most of the latest deaths. Taliban militants regularly target troops with improvised explosive devices. The homemade bombs are considered the weapon of choice for insurgents in the Afghan conflict. The military regularly conducts raids targeting those who stage the
attacks against troops.

Before this month, June was the deadliest month for Americans and coalition forces. A total of 103 international soldiers died last month - including 60 Americans. The totals are based on reports compiled by CNN.

The latest grim milestone comes amid concern at home over Washington's strategy in the Afghanistan war.

Coalition forces have intensified their war against insurgents, sparking fears that militants will bolster their attacks.

President Obama announced plans to send 30,000 more troops, but has said he will start withdrawing American forces in July 2011.

Last month, the Afghan war suffered another setback when the president dismissed Gen. Stanley McChrystal as the top military commander over inappropriate comments he made about some officials in the administration. Gen. David Petraeus took over the role.

Photo at top: A soldier is buried at Arlington National Cemetery on Wednesday after he died from wounds suffered when a suicide bomber attacked his unit in Afghanistan.

Post by:
Filed under: Casualties • Troops
  1. alex

i am 18 joining usmc after high school i cant wate to help out my boys in afghan be there soon!

August 12, 2010 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  2. cecilia

hey, does anyone here knows the names of the deceased soldiers? can you tell me?

August 4, 2010 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
    • sgt b

i knew at least 2 of them my platoon lost including attachments 7 soldiers

August 29, 2011 at 9:28 am | Report abuse |
  3. psmail2

In other news, "Several people shot at Connecticut business, officials say" -– Guess killings happen all over the world. So, why is America fighting in Afghanistan and Iraq when we cannot protect Americans?

August 3, 2010 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
  4. Joe M.

A Talon robot can carry a SAW or a small missile. It carries cameras that can see in all directions at the same time. If a robot is damaged it goes to a depot for repair and is back in service the next day. A robot can take time to identify an enemy without taking a panic shot. A robot wound is small consolation to an enemy. A robot can interrogate villagers while the operator is far behind down the road. A robot weapon (SAW) is bolted down and cannot be easily grabbed away.

August 3, 2010 at 12:20 am | Report abuse |
  5. Joe M.

Robots should be out in front ahead of the troops. We have robots that are capable of doing this, but they're being used exclusively for bomb disposal. They can also lead the way on the battlefield. The time has come to make the changeover. This will lower human casualties on the battlefield. A decision needs to made.

August 2, 2010 at 11:59 pm | Report abuse |
  6. John in Washington

Nine years in Afganistan. What is wrong with this picture? It has taken me nine years to finally get mad at an enemy who plays the role of the fool. Only cowardice uses bombs who injure their own trying seperately to make a statement. Like a mole, they bury below average decency. These people do not live life by any rules and because they cannot be goverened they are outcast by all. They are lost souls, just like their professing faith. Their god is not for real. It is a mocking counterfeit of the one and true God. Look up the philistines and record how God felt about them as people. God is not a coward and neither is he lawless. On a more serious note, we are loosing our faith in the US and so do you honestly think we will prevail over ancient enemies in a place where we seldom belong. May we be humble ourselves and return to God so that He cannot say "One Nation under many gods." For all those engaged in this conflict, may God have amazing grace and peace upon you richly....Lastly the hebrew definition of PEACE isw the violent taking down of CHAOS. What a revelation...

August 2, 2010 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

It would have been over a long time ago... If Bush Jr would have done there what Obama is doing now!!! Instead of taking Our Troops out to start the Iraq War... We had to start this one all over again!!! Both Sr quit Iraq and we had to go back there too... They are both losers that only care about the money they can make!!!

August 2, 2010 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  7. dr

I was a naïve 18 year old kid when I enlisted in the Marines in 70's and served my country honorably in a tank battalion, but have since realized that all this crap is all just a scam. Before any kid enlists, they should be required to read "War Is a Racket", by U.S. Marine Major General Smedley Darlington Butler. I have since done a considerable of research and come to the realization that just about every war ever fought that the only ones that gain anything are the wealthy elite that don't have to do any of the fighting or dying while they sucker everyone else into believing that it is the right thing to do for the greater protection of their country, when all it is for protection of the elites property, not yours or mine since you or I don't have that much to protect to begin with. Our politicians are bribed by special interest corporate lobbyists and right now the only reason that those young Marine's are fighting for are the lives of their buddy's on patrol and in the trenches and to try to stay alive and I do pray for them. I feel bad that they got conned into this. Hopefully they will survive and will be able to wise up as I did and tell their kids not to waist their lives fighting for the greedy corporations and politicians, as I have made sure my 3 kids do not to fall for their lies. Again, name me one American life that was worth this, and I will retract everything I said. Oh, and while we are on the subject, how come we did not attack Saudi Arabia, since most of the 9-11 hijackers were from that country? Most of them trained in Europe or America for the attacks, not Afghanistan under the Taliban. Just wondering. There is enough information on the internet for all of you to get your head out of the sand and to start to see what is really happening, and why your are just being duped. Think about it, going on over 8 years, no Bin Laden, no victory, only more grieving, debt, and suffering for the middle lower class. While the rich got richer in this downturn while the rest of the country is going broke (why is that)? Wake up already! Don't enlist, that is what they want you to do when the economy is bad. One of the tactics to get recruiting up is to have a bad economy so they can fight more wars and get richer. Those young men of all services and all nations need to leave now because staying there isn't going to solve anything.

August 2, 2010 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

Do you really feel the time you spent in the Military was wasted??? I spent 6 years myself and I'm happy for the time I spent there!!! I met a lot of Great Friends while there... The only thing I feel bad about is I'm the only one left one left!!! I always wonder why??? But GOD had a reason for it and I do my best to make good use of it as long as I do live!!! That is why I protest every Sunday to help the Future Vets to get what they deserve to get after what They went through...

August 2, 2010 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
      • dr

Larry, I to made some good friends in the Marines, but what does that have to do with this? I mean really, my 3 kids have made some great friends in college. My daughter met and married a man she met in college. My oldest son has met a great girl and some really good friends in college. I do not think they would have had to go into the military to have a better social life....seriously were are you coming from? A lot of what I see on the regarding our current military members is them coming home in body bags, injured or committing suicide higher than the national average. So are you saying the military is a great socializing place to meet people so that is why you should join? Sorry to say, but I think there are better things to do than to just blow things up and kill other people so we can have some good buddies. Like I said early in my statement, I was naive, but have since wised up. Obviously others haven't and that is why we keep repeating history. Based on what I see on how we are trying to conduct the war is pure nonsense. Name me one life that was worth any of it and I will retract my comments. And really dude god has nothing to do with it. Corrupt oil companies, politicians and wealthy elites have more to do with it than god. Just like they did with the BP gulf oil well platform explosion. Those guys that died on that platform died for the same reasons are guys are dying in Afghanistan. Think about the parrallels – greed, corruption, and lies. Doesn't have anything to do with god or national security. I fear the creeps we have in Washington more than any terrorist and based on their approval ratings, I think most Americans feel the same way.

August 3, 2010 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  8. bailoutsos

American agents gave info about Israeli spies to Lebanon, who in turn gave it to Hezbollah, who in turn have killed 2 or more Israeli spies. As The World Turns.

August 2, 2010 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
  9. otterman20

As usual our dumb politicians learn nothing from history. I don't know why anyone would want to volunteer for the U.S. army. Patriotism is one thing. But knowing that at any moment you're most likely going to be sent into another unwinnable neverending war that our dumb politicians keep getting us into is another thing. I'm no West Point graduate or Ivy League boy and I probably barely have an average IQ but I'm still smart enough to have learned from history. The Afghan war is just like Vietnam. So many soldiers died and were wounded in that war and for what? They're still all communists over there. Seeing that Pakistan from the very beginning wasn't going to lift a finger to go after Al-Qaeda was enough to pull our troops out of there as quickly as possible. Anybody with 1/2 a brain nine years ago could see we were getting ourselves in another Vietnam all over again. Now what is our military doing over there? Drone planes bombing mountainsides. Ridiculous. I look at the USA Today everyday and see the names of our soldiers that were killed and it's sad. Not to mention all the money wasted. After those WikiLeaks were revealed some U.S. General came out and said our soldiers' blood would be on their hands. More like it, our soldiers' blood is on our perpetually dumb politicians' hands who continue time and time again to not learn from history. And you see any of their kids going over there to fight the good fight? No! It's way past time to get out of both Afghanistan and Iraq. There will never be peace in any of these countries after the troops leave so why bother? Are our troops going to become policemen everywhere? Our troops have done all they can do in those countries. Those countries have got to forge there own way.

August 2, 2010 at 5:19 am | Report abuse |
    • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

Could it be because we feel we are diving something back to the Country??? Just like those before us!!! Not everyone just wants to take and not give back to the Country...

August 2, 2010 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
  10. jeff

its too bad no one really knows how to win this war but everyone is just happy enough to say something that follows their crap ass thought process

August 2, 2010 at 5:05 am | Report abuse |
  11. Gordon Gover

The war in Afganistan is UNWINABLE !! Too bad all these young men and women had to lose their lives and hundreds of others were injured. For what ?? Remember Viet Nam ?? What was all that about ?? Most Americans don't even know what it was fought for. When the American Government declares war they should FIRST send government leaders into battle..........( then the war will be called-off ....'they' will soon change their policy )

August 1, 2010 at 11:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

Very well put,Gordon.I couldn't have done it better myself!!!

August 2, 2010 at 3:08 am | Report abuse |
  12. zinda dillie

It is the fault of the two faced Hindus – whose main aim in life is to kill Muslims. America can only go when Pakistan makes Kashmir and Afghanistan part of Pakistan. Hindus are preventing this from happening. America should destroy Hinuds.

August 1, 2010 at 10:52 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Liza

My heart goes to our fallen warriors. Please rally to send them home. I feel so sad to the young ones ages 19 and up years old.They are just out of school and haven't enjoy life at that young age. I don't get why we sacrifice life to this ignorant countries. US is just being use. Life is hard enough why spend tax payers money on this nonsense war. Secure the borders here in America and stop sending kids to war.

August 1, 2010 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • JoeSickPack

"don't get why we sacrifice life to this ignorant countries. US is just being use."

Lisa I am sorry to say, but, it is we Americans who are being ignorant and arrogant. We are NOT God's gift to mankind. God's chosen people ARE NOT only Americans and Jews – but, each and every soul that walks this earth is a part of God.

Do you think we are in Afghanistan out of the goodness of our hearts ?

It is true – USA is getting used – the reason being – we broke a very basic rule – "Thou shall not covet." – ( oil, resources, ..... )

August 1, 2010 at 10:43 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Joe

God bless our troops.

I need to know where are all those who demonstrated so passionately against the war during the Bush era. Is it ok for our soldiers to die now? I guess McCrystal got out just in time. He had a commander that does not back him up and has no clue how to conduct a war. The problem is that no one seems to care anymore when soldiers die...

August 1, 2010 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
  15. JoeSickPack

It would be nice if along with every God Bless for a fallen American, there is some thought given to civilians killed by American soldiers in error ( I am giving the benefit of doubt ).

God will not bless just because you want ask to. How do you think He is going to look at a pilot who killed people by mistake in a war that is unjust and breaks every commandment of the Bible.

August 1, 2010 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse |
  16. clark

Ralph Nader said on c-span today that we have the most advanced army this world has seen and yet we can't defeat the simplest of weaponry- rocket grenades, IEDs, ak47s... these people know the land better than we would ever know it. For those of who might be seeking some historical insight into the region, read Kipling's The Man Who Would be King, the book will show you that this region has long been fought over and any attempts to put new laws into the land by installing a ruler have failed miserably. This war, above all, represents political failure, and yet we continue to rely on militaristic ambition. And we all know what happens to the empire that relies too heavily on the spoils of the military... it FALLS. Welcome to that slow and winding nightmare. This is what America has become.

August 1, 2010 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |

Good posting,clark.

August 1, 2010 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
      • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

I totally agree with that.

August 1, 2010 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  17. clark

for those of you with GOD in your comments, you of all people should be the ones praying for this WAR to END. THOU SHALL NOT KILL if I remember correctly and if you are in a WAR you may KILL, support KILLING, or get KILLED. It is time to end this war. Do not bring GOD into this unless you talk of the righteous course of action, and that is to end it once and for all.

August 1, 2010 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Jspeer

From one point of view, the number for july´s casualties is nothing compared to the annual statistics. I see this going nowhere. Hopefully General James N. Mattis´ appointment could affect the issue as a whole in a very positive way. But something does need to be done.

August 1, 2010 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  19. salerno

The numbers are not completely reliable also becouse they are stated by US military and could be underreported. Also does appear that many civilians were killed by IED and the responsibility is attribuited to Talibani.

August 1, 2010 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  20. impeachBush

I wonder what the deadliest month for Afghani children was? I have not finished the Wiki papers yet, but so far American soldiers have killed around 1000 kids, teens, and infants.

August 1, 2010 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
    • Daniel-2

I thought that that number was higher than that.Anyway,that's still far too many.

August 1, 2010 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
      • BUBBA--ALABAMA STYLE!!!

Do you really think that Obama and the right-wing thugs in Washington care,Dan?I don't!!!And they'll never impeach Bush the way he deserves to be because there's just too much corruption and too many backroom deals!

August 1, 2010 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  21. mohamed

USA must die, ... the world and the human being will be in peace without the americain impérialism
    USA has killed the indians and settled their own lands, they have opressed the blacks, they support dictatures if they execute their orders and they conquere the ones that don't obey them, .... they develop and sell dangerous weapons, they steal the natural resources of countries (petrol, gold, gaz..), the encourage the imperialism (israel..)
    Believe me USA must die, and other forces must wake up (china, russia, india, brazil)

August 1, 2010 at 7:50 am | Report abuse |
    • salerno

yes, they did the last ethnic cleansing in their own country eliminating the indians and also the rest you said is quite true. They also eliminated the slavery after the civil war and did somthing positive. But remember thet the Evil has 7 heads and 11 horns; I mean that it is around the globe and sometimes those heads are fighting each other to destroy innocent people.
      A Muslim should trie to avoid that and I do not believe the solution is in the akga jihad. They are no more the only superpower and the China is growing faster economically and military.

August 1, 2010 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • JoeSickPack

I agree with you Mohamed. The world will be peaceful only when countries like China and India come into ascendancy. These countries have a non-Semitic soul and are best suited to guide the word. These countries have a basic philosophy that ABHORS expansion, acquisition and lays emphasis on spirituality and a balanced life.

The West will squander/lose much of its wealth and technological leadership to these countries. But before that I would like to see Islam made incapable of any mischief.

Ex-Christian.

August 1, 2010 at 9:22 pm | Report abuse |
  22. TheLost

War is always what it is DEATH in the FACE of the LIVING.

August 1, 2010 at 1:14 am | Report abuse |
  23. Paul LeBlanc

Historically speaking, these statistics are nothing compared to the sacrifices families made in conflicts up to and including WW2. From the Korean conflict on the world's mores on war evolved in a nano second- and our country has been opposed to war ever since. Casualty numbers always escalate pacifism nowadays, and rightly so. We as a planet no longer tolerate casualties in the thousands in a single day of conflict that the World Wars encountered. No one wants to revisit that horror. That's why terrorists have an upper hand in the ethics their cause or " religion" espouses; they do not have these mores. I have some relatives from the WW epoch that are pacifists yet lament the fact that our country takes such a view on avoiding civilian casualties. This is what McCrystal was trying to get across. Our hands have been tied politically towards achieving war objectives ever since VJ. God protect our servicemen.

July 31, 2010 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • clark

the thing here is that, the more civilian casualties we create, the more taliban we create. by sustaining this war we give them a reason to recruit and to continue the fight. we become to enemy to those who have lost someone close.

August 1, 2010 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Leo

Dateline 2020 The civil war has now ended in Iraq with the muslin fundamentalist coming to power. Following the Talabans defeat of American forces, their govt. has signed a defence pact with Pak'stan who will now share their nuke cababilty. Bin Laden was seen at a rally in Kabul yesterday. Iran & Syria exploded their tenth long range nuke missile in the Indian ocean last week & continue to threthen the new american state of Isreal, which since the majority of muslin countries now having nuke capabilties now in the middle east is some what closed up. The Dow Jones took another drop yesterday despite the temp loans from China & India to the remaining banks still trading.

July 31, 2010 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  25. afgan

If it means more soldiers killed for you to get the message that we don't want americans in my country afganistan so be it ,you can take your concept of deranged freedom an shove it up you a$$

July 31, 2010 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  26. salerno

Before GWB the comunist minority in Europe and in the world were the main oppositors, I blame the new mondial order policy promoted by Bush1 and Clinton for increasing the people who dislike the US. I think you could have had a better chance to capitalize your wonderful and peaceful victory against comunism. This is the first time I am critic versus the USA.

July 31, 2010 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joseph McCarthy

The big tragedy in Afghanistan is that the Communists didn't win there back in the 1980's.If they had,this stupid war wouldn't be going on now.It seems like the world had come low since our "victory" over Communism, proving the failure of Capitalism with all the economies lavishing in a depression.

July 31, 2010 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |

Joe,how right you are!!!

July 31, 2010 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
      • salerno

So you are comunist now ? You were wrong and regret for having helped the afgan to fight against the soviet ? Possible you are wrong every time and every time you like the war you are fighting? Do you are creating you enemies becouse you have some leadership problem ?

July 31, 2010 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Smith in Oregon

With more American soldiers now occupying Afghanistan, and more Afghanistan residents that have become Afghanistan Occupation Resistance fighters, there is undoubtedly going to be more American soldiers deaths. It is not that there are more Pakistan Taliban fighters pouring into Afghanistan, it is the result of thousands of Afghanistan women and children killed either on purpose or by botched midnight raids which have generated ten's of thousands of Afghanistan Occupation Resistance fighters that were previously simply neutral Afghanistan people. Now they have picked up their weapons and plant IED's to kill as many American and NATO soldiers out of revenge as they can.

July 31, 2010 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  28. NealR2000

Either let the military fight the way the know how, or bring them home. Our Generals have their hands tied behind their backs by the restrictions placed on them by non-military leaders in Washington. For goodness sake, we are not in a popularity contest. No matter what we do, much of the world will always dislike us. For all you under 30s, the world disliked us long before GWB.

July 31, 2010 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • lahai kemo

Have you ever taken time to figure out why the world hates you? When the rest of the world condemns the actions of Israel in the Middle East (Palestine) America has been the only country to jjustify Israel's action> America for once should stand up for the justice it believes in. MOst recent example is the attack of the aid ship. The world cried out for an international investigation. the usa was the only nation on this planet of ours that was against it. How lame is that?

August 1, 2010 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
  29. Snowboarderf17

a few hundred soldiers are dead, thousands and thousands of Afghans and Iraqi's are dead. Iraq was an unjustifiable war and the reasons (WMD's) were quashed and Afghanistan has no strategy. So that means more soldiers die, and thousands more innocent Afghan / Iraqi civilians. What an insane world we live in and how horrible for anyone who has lost someone because of this.

July 31, 2010 at 4:37 am | Report abuse |
    • Daniel-2

It's not all that insane if you understand what the MIC(military-industrial-complex) is trying to do.It's these right-wing thugs who are running the show in Washington,D.C.as they have both the President and most of Congress in their pockets.

July 31, 2010 at 8:03 am | Report abuse |
      • George Patton

How right you are,Danny boy!Thank you.

July 31, 2010 at 8:12 am | Report abuse |
  30. nabi18

July 31, 2010 at 12:51 am | Report abuse |
  31. sam

I dont believe in war,because fight can never ever bring peace in our family, commuinity ,country and also in the world. The war in Afghanistan and Irag, just to kill the inocent women and children we need peace in our life

July 30, 2010 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse |

Sam,I totally agree.

July 31, 2010 at 1:10 am | Report abuse |
  32. M

It was just like this...My parents were killed before my very eyes by soldiers from the US. Out of love, sacrifice is born...Hate is born...and we are able to know pain. Yes...know pain. May more of your young men and women die. Do you hate me? The US will come to know real pain. The fear instilled by that pain would prevent wars. And the world will be on the road to stability and peace. You don't know the true meaning of peace. So let yourself be captured. Your death will lead to peace.

July 30, 2010 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bledsoe

The vast majority of Americans have absolutely no notion of what you went through.How easy it is for them to like this cused war since it's bringing then very little in the way of pain and suffering.I get nauseated every time they spew their sickening bravado over winning it.

July 31, 2010 at 1:17 am | Report abuse |
      • BUBBA--ALABAMA STYLE!!!

Sooner or later,I expect Phunnie boy to make a sick joke out of this too.He never fails,the right-wing creep!!!!!!!

July 31, 2010 at 1:22 am | Report abuse |
  33. Killer Chicken

If theirs any more killings the U S Army will be destroyed!

July 30, 2010 at 7:44 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Diana

So I have a question... We argue and blame everything on the presidents... why are we giving them all this fame?? First off I have lots of friends in the Military, and honestly they need more our support to be able to do their work... most of them are happy doing what they are doing for this country and not just the country but for us.... Now instead of coming here and arguing about all this crap why dont we sent out shout outs better and let them know how we appreciate the work they do for us... another thing we should be worring about trying to pull our country up more yeah there is alot of people out there getting payed unemployment and dont even look for a job FYI there is alot of jobs out there... we are as bad as any terrorist just that we dont kill but we are doing what they wanted to do in the first place kill the economy we need to stand together and fight back... no matter what race you are just fight back for what will end up being the future of our children.... hey SHOUT out to an old friend that I MISS ALOT.... SGT FERNANDO!! SINALOA_101 thanks for everything you have done for me and the country you made me understand why and what you were out there fighting for need to hear from you tho.... and well these 3 soldiers that lost their lifes are now walking in golden streets!! THANKS A LOT for your work and for keeping us alive!!

July 30, 2010 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Daniel-2

Diana,Pres.Obama can get us out of Afghanistan any time he wants to,but he's in cahoots with the MIC(military-industrial-complex) in both crushing Islam and fullfilling their hidden agenda.Afghanisan has absolutely nothing to do with our national security!!!

July 30, 2010 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • salerno

Shame ! you want to feed your child with the blood of other child? I know the reason for this war is economic, but do not support the soldiers becouse I DO NOT NEED to be protected

July 30, 2010 at 7:18 pm | Report abuse |

Well put,salerno.

July 31, 2010 at 1:19 am | Report abuse |
  35. JesusNeedsABreak

Don't wanna be a martyr in this war
    Don't wanna hear the same excuses anymore
    That everything's a threat
    And it's only gonna get worse if we let it

Don't wanna blame the rich for what they got
    Don't point a finger at the poor for what they have not
    Though the politician and the priest
    Live in the belly of the beast because we fed it

Freedom is seldom found
    By beating someone to the ground
    Telling them how everything is gonna be now!

"written by Amos Lee Great American Artist"

July 30, 2010 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Crystal

See, said my father, pointing to the flag that fluttered near,
      "That flag of stars and stripes is yours;
      It is the emblem of the promised land.
      It means, my son, the hope of humanity.
      Live for it-die for it!"

Under the open sky of my new country,
      I swore to do so,
      And every drop of blood in me
      Will keep that vow.
      I am proud of my future.
      I am an American.

I am an American by Elias Liberman

July 31, 2010 at 12:17 am | Report abuse |
  36. Lala

So sad about what has happened with these six US soldiers. Condolences to the families. And, is there anyone here who can give any reports regarding the Spanish Troops in Afghanistan.

July 30, 2010 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Dane

I find these comments, interesting. many disagrements. Being a canadian citizen, I am on the outside looking in. alot of you are looking for blame, what president is to blame, what event is to blame. When can you just agree that its happening, people are dying, families are being detroyed. Thats it. I feel for all that have lost. Even the afgans. In a culture that has been raised by hate, it will continue to grow. education, econemy, and a stong belief in change is what will prevent them from falling back to Hate when the world is no longer there. I agree that the usa cannot be the worlds police. but then who? the russians? It seems That the "free world" has no stonger force than the american army. Our burden is that we care about everyone having the same freedoms as us. No woman should be oppressed because of there gender, no child should have to fight a war. No government should be able to promote hate. you can bicker about fault and whose to blame, or you can understand that nothing good will ever come from hate. And hate grows fast in poverty. whatever the answer to this mess is, I feel it will come from the "free nations" of this earth. May whatever "god" you believe in bless you all.

July 30, 2010 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • RossKL

Dane, from Canada: Your Queen from England is involved in Afghanistan's Nato War. That means you are, moron.

July 30, 2010 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Anup K. Sen

BRING ALL OUR SOLDIERS HOME !!!!!!!!

July 30, 2010 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Anup K. Sen

We learn from mistake we make, why the Commanders of Afghanistan are not learning? Today 6 soldiers died, 66 of our soldiers died this month, but the Commanders don't change to make our troops safer for the next day. IS IT NOT THE TIME THAT WE STOP KILLING OUR SOLDIERS!!! AND change our rules of engagement!!!!!!! Will our Commander in Chief look into this and STOP killing OUR SOLDIERS!!!!!!!

July 30, 2010 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Bleau

I have a son and a step son there. Each day I peruse all and any info I can obtain concerning this war. Each day that I dont hear from them tears me apart. I am proud of my two men and all that are serving but honestly I do not know how much more my heart can take. God Bless these fallen Hero's and their family.

July 30, 2010 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Ozzie

Please send my Son back bring all the soldiers back Hooah!!!!!

July 30, 2010 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Diaz

War industry creates villains, enemies and evil nations to justify wars. Their board of directors don't care that how many
    American lives r perished in such wars as long as their armament factories are churning out profits.

July 30, 2010 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |

Diaz,you said it all!!!!

July 30, 2010 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Johny

This whole war has really affected a lot of things in common man's day to day life. I think US should withdraw troops from everywhere and just focus on problems with in the country. I know WTC was attacked and US had to send a message but how long that message will be?

July 30, 2010 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  44. RossKL

Where are all the anti-war people hiding?????? 30,000 more troops for Nato's Afghanistan War and Congress gives billions more in funds. It must be in the White House!!!!!!!!

July 30, 2010 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
  45. Lovepeace

The world would be much better off without American Imperialism. Look around, whereever there is a conflict, it was because of America messing up there. The world would be much more peaceful without America! For those who have been killing the other country's chidren, destroying the other family's home, raping the other country's women, they deserve to be punished. How many millions Iraqis dies because of you? Look at what you have done! Why the Haiti earthquake made so many people die? because they were poor and did not have the standard buildings to live. How they became so poor? because the colonial looting from you and French! American, wake up, read the history, to see what you have done to other people. Does Afganistan people need you to be there? Did Iraqi goverment beg you to kill their leader and their people? BTW, who fed Saddam in the beginning? learn something called respect, otherwise eventually you will regret what you have done!

July 30, 2010 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
    • rsfselig

YES , WAR IS HORRIFIC AND UGLY,MANY INNOCENT PEOPLE ARE CAUSED GREAT SUFFERING, BUT REMEMBER YOU AS AN INDIVIDUAL HAVE A CHOICE TO EMBRACE FREEDOM OR FIGHT FOR THE OPPRESSION OF HUMAN LIFE.YOU SOUND BITTER, I WONDER DO YOU BELIEVE THAT ONE HAS THE RIGHT TO CHOOSE A GOD OF HIS/HER UNDERSTANDING?

July 30, 2010 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
    • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

Right we better better off underr Hitler are Communist right???

August 2, 2010 at 12:51 am | Report abuse |
  46. nabi18

please check out http://www.islamicsolutions.com/islam-the-peaceful-religion/

July 30, 2010 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
  47. Lovepeace

you american soliders deserve to be killed if you invade other countries, that is the god's rule. open your fauking eyes and read a little bit history to see who fed bin liden. all the abroad american solideris die die die

July 30, 2010 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
    • rsfselig

PLEASE SHOW A LITTLE RESPECT FOR THE FREEDOM YOU ARE ABUSING BY VOICING SUCH AN OPINION WITH HATERED AND INTOLERANCE.I WILL GLADY SUPPLY YOU WITH A ONE WAY TICKET TO WHERE EVER YOU DESIRE IF YOU ARE SO BENT ON HATERED OF THIS COUNTRY AND THOSE THAT SERVE IT.PLEASE TONE IT DOWN

July 30, 2010 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
      • Joseph McCarthy

Will you kindly cut the right-wing mumbo-jumbo???

July 30, 2010 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
    • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

Know one should be dieing!!! But what can we expect when they attacked us first??? To turn the other cheek???

August 2, 2010 at 12:50 am | Report abuse |
  48. joe

This country is headed for disaster. We should have been out of Iraq 10 seconds after Saddam was hanged (if we should have been there at all), we should have been out of Afghanistan after we kicked the Talibans ass.

We are going to be screwed by either party that gets power. If the repubs get it, they will cut social spending and keep the military spending, if the dems get in they will keep the military spending and raise taxes. WE NEED TO STOP MILITARY SPENDING. Military spending brought Russia to its knees and it will do the same to us if we don't stop right away and get the hell out of the wars we created. We are NOT the worlds police, we can't afford it. The ONLY smart thing to do is to keep social spending, cut military spending, balance the budget and pay off the national debt. ANYTHING else will lead too disaster.

July 30, 2010 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |

Quite well put,joe.

July 30, 2010 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
    • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

That is not true!!! Because after Iraq and Afghanistan learn to take care of themselves... They won't need us anymore.,, We took the troops out to early when Bush was in and had to start all over again!!!

August 2, 2010 at 12:48 am | Report abuse |
      • BUBBA--ALABAMA STYLE!!!

Come on,Larry.Wise up,will you and quit spewing all this right-wing crap!!! It does get old and how!

August 2, 2010 at 3:04 am | Report abuse |
  49. ronvan

23yr. ret. Army Viet Nam Vet. :Mentioned only to put my comments into perspective. Viet Nam & these wars are the same, just a different location & times, and they will have the same ending! Wars are bad enough and can destroy a person's humanity, but "POLITICAL" wars are particulary ugly. The ONLY ones that want to see this continue are the ones making the big bucks off of it! Multiple tours into these war zones can and are destroying our soldiers, mentally and physically. "Nation Building" is NOT the militaries job or mission! Then you have the problem of WE, the U. S., thinking that we are going to make these countries "see the light" and change to our ways. STUPID! Just check out all of these countries history & traditions. They LOVE killing each other! It is their religion and children are raised with these ideas and traditions! As I, personally, do not see an end to this mess, do not be surprised if next years withdrawal date is changed, I would bring ALL of our military home, from ALL over the world! We cannot be the worlds military police and if these countries cannot take care of themselves then we need to keep our noses out of their business and let them kill each other off! "National Security" ? What a joke! Papers, info, you name it, always gets out!
    And for those of you that "think" we are better to fight "over there" rather than in the U.S. For me that is saying that we cannot protect ourselves in our own country, so why go "over there" if this is the case. Finally, I would, upon bringing all of our military home, make a strong messaage to ALL, that IF any attacks happen upon American soil that you do not need to worry about troops coming. BOMB, BOMB, BOMB, really do not care who gets killed, THEY DON'T, and it would continue until those countries involved found and killed every terrorist whin their borders! What country would be next?
    Don't care, but after the destruction on one country I think others would be very reluctant to allow terrorists inside their borders. NUKES, don't bother me with that either. If a country uses one then we drop 10!! Will it happen? HECK NO! To much politics involved and to much money to make, not for us, but those that are rich and getting richer!

July 30, 2010 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
    • rsfselig

I AM NOT SURE YOU CAN SAY THAT THE TWO WARS ARE THE SAME, THERE ARE HOWVER UNDERLYING POLITICAL ISSUES THAT ARE COMMON AND THAT IS WRONG AND DAMAGING,HOWEVER WE HAVE BEEN ATTACKED A FACT.THIS MIGHT NOT BE THE BEST RESPONSE BUT WE MUST FIGHT TERRORISM AND THOSE THAT WISH FOR OUR DESTUCTION.HOW SAD THOUGH THAT SOME TRY TO CAPITAILIZE ON WAR AND HAVE SECRECT AGENDAS, IT IS DUTY TO EXPOSE THEM AND STAY TRUE TO FREEDOM FOR ALL

July 30, 2010 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
    • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

The reason we didn't do better in the Vietnam War was Our President rather listen to other Countries rather than The Generals in Charge!!! How can you win a war with one hand tied behind you???

August 2, 2010 at 12:45 am | Report abuse |
  50. Marc

The real problem with the suicide count rising, is that the amedrican soldier is trained up to fight, but what we find out is that their hands are tied once they arrive on station. They are left with the questions like; Why are we here? And; What was the point of this again? I think they should be trained for the actual mission and not have to be gased up for something that certain sections will never see.

July 30, 2010 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
    • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

That is because Bush listen to Cheney rather than listen to the Officers He had in charge!!! At Least Obama is doing what His General tells Him to do...

August 2, 2010 at 12:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

Since when are you a Criminal when your fighting Tarriest that use Their People as Shields!!! How do you expect us to protect ourselves other wise???

August 2, 2010 at 12:43 am | Report abuse |
  51. Eric

Anyone who attributes our situation as a nation to a single person is ignorant- the Presidency is greater than one man alone. Just like indivudauls, large groups make choices based on the best information they have and sometimes the result is unfavorable. Whining about who's accountable won't make the situation better, working to improve our future will. Start with learning the facts instead of internalizing the opinions of others. Then, vote for leaders who are most aligned with your way of thinking- remember though that 'change' does not always equate to 'better'. We can make it through this war if we work together and stay united!

July 30, 2010 at 8:09 am | Report abuse |
    • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

That is why I only vote Democratic!!!

August 2, 2010 at 12:35 am | Report abuse |
  52. Stars and Stripes

And it doesnt take nukes to cripple this country just a lot of car bombs placed in locations to take out decades old infrastructures look around your city you will notice a lot of construction I suppose on things like bridges this is why...

July 30, 2010 at 7:46 am | Report abuse |
    • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

all they have to threat and This Country comes to a halt!!!

August 2, 2010 at 12:33 am | Report abuse |
  53. Stars and Stripes

We had no threat until we stepped foot on their soil no the entire country is being breed to hate us and they highly trained to kill us. They strap on bombs and kiss the world goodbye all in the name of their god. Now here is the problem they are training the cartels how to use car bombs and they are being sat off close and closer towards our border as a show of power. The border is now the important local to our safety Now not next month Now. They are coming the cartels are losing to much money to do nothing people google Project Coronado. Lets be prepared for this attack please... Bring them home and beef up the border before car bombs are the norm here.

July 30, 2010 at 7:38 am | Report abuse |
    • rsfselig

THAT IS ABSOLUTE NONSENSE AND STOP BEING SO NAIVE, IF WE DID NOT STEP FOOT IN THIS WAR I BELIEVE THERE WOULD BE MORE INCIDENTS ON OUR HOMELAND

July 30, 2010 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
      • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

WHY ARE YOU YELLING??? I agree with you though!!!

August 2, 2010 at 12:31 am | Report abuse |
    • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

They are feeling better about us since Obama got into office!!!

August 2, 2010 at 12:30 am | Report abuse |
  54. Spartan K

Breaking News! I heard NoBama going on Jerry Springer next after his "View" apperance!

July 30, 2010 at 7:28 am | Report abuse |
    • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

So what is wrong with that???

August 2, 2010 at 12:29 am | Report abuse |
  55. 8472

Most people who simply just want to end the war and the immediate withdrawal of the troops don't even know Pakistan has nuclear weapons. And I can bet they don't even know how that is important to the Taliban or our mission in Afghanistan. If you think the 9/11 event was devastating, how would you feel if a nuke goes off in a major US city? Who are you going to blame if that happens?

July 30, 2010 at 7:26 am | Report abuse |
    • Sam

This is just fear mongering spread by the Industrial Weapon complex which wants these wars to keep on going. Pakistan has 1/2 a million strong army and even our CIA dosn't know where are the exact locations of these weapons. Terrorist has no chance in a million years to get close to those weapons.

July 30, 2010 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • RossKL

We are going to Nuke the other side and just hope the city they get is Chicago.

July 30, 2010 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

Even if Pakistan has nukes we don't have to worry about it... Now if North Korea are Iran got them it be a different story!!!

August 2, 2010 at 12:28 am | Report abuse |
  56. Tarvalon

I truly believe that America must honor its fallen heroes and never forget their sacrifice. Less than 1% of 1% of the American citizenry serve in the US Armed Forces. It is no wonder that the citizenry tires quickly of war. However, death is a terrible reality of war. I have no love for GWB, but he is not responsible for 9/11. He is responsible for Iraq and all those that died there. He abandoned the war in Afghanistan and the hunt for Bin Laden, the true mastermind of 9/11, to go on a wild goose hunt for the ficticious WMD's and Saddam Hussein. It this endeavor he was a fool and that will be his legacy. IMO Bin Laden must not be allowed to die of old age. But through it all, we must remember our Fallen Heroes.

July 30, 2010 at 7:20 am | Report abuse |
    • Daniel-2

Osama bin Laden is already dead in all probability since he suffered from nephritis in 2001 and his chaces of survival were very slim.

July 30, 2010 at 7:31 am | Report abuse |
      • Sam

who cares. His sorry a.. is not worth 60 american lifes a month and a 100 billion $ a year.

July 30, 2010 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Steph

Each time I read an article on the Afghan conflict, I see people writing entries about what they call the war that Bush started, with obvious disdain. The Afghan war became "the war that Bush started" when it began to grow difficult and slow. But I seem to remember that, after 9-11, a vast majority of people were backing Bush to do something about Afghanistan, moreso when it was established that the core of the Al-Quaeda cell was hiding there and that a regime of mentally unstable guys were harboring them. It was ok back then but it's not now because the war is not going according to initial plans. People get frustrated and start bashing anyone in sight about the conflict, start forgetting voluntary or not why we're there and start to hope that the conflict ends before it actually ends, leaving the Taliban with an empty land ready to be taken back and more than enough caves to fill with terror network crazies. And then, in 5-6 years or so, when another attack done by madmen trained on Afghan soil happens, then those people will say "Why?" and urge the president to do something about it. And of course, they will have "forgotten" that they were against the first Afghan conflict. We remember what we want to remember and that's sad.

My deepest condolences to the families of the fallen soldiers.

July 30, 2010 at 7:19 am | Report abuse |
    • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

Bush didn't start the Afghanistan War he started the Iraq War... He took the troops out of Afghanistan for the Iraq War... We have been better off if He would have stayed in Afghanistan!!! The war would have been over already...

August 2, 2010 at 12:25 am | Report abuse |
  58. Spartan K

NoBama can NEVER make a final decision UNLESS he has a backup plan to blame someone else. Someone tell NoBama to grow a pair and stop waving that finger when he talks.

July 30, 2010 at 7:18 am | Report abuse |
    • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

He soesn't have to blame anyone./.. Every move he has made so far has been the right one!!! Everyone with a brain knows the wars are the fault of Bush Jr...

August 1, 2010 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |

doesn't (Sorry)

August 1, 2010 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Spike

9/11 happened not because of any American policies but because Islam has been on Jihad for the last 1400 years, or maybe you forgot all about Constantinople and the "Red Apple" (Look it up, we are the new one). I love our service men and women, but grow a spine people. We lose military personnel at these levels in peace time. We are going to be fighting these Islamic pieces of dung for a long time. We are also going to be so hit hard in the future that it is going to make your head spin. So steal up and let's get these animals before they get us.

July 30, 2010 at 7:17 am | Report abuse |
    • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

Hopefully you will be wrong and the President will be right!!! Only time will tell who is right...

August 1, 2010 at 8:22 pm | Report abuse |
      • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

Hey you,Phunnie boy.Quit spewing your right-wing nonsense.It does get awfully old and how!!!

August 1, 2010 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
  60. SC

Its not like no innocent afghanis didn't die. Is their life worth less than dirt that it doesn't even get a mention to put this useless statistic in perspective? 63 soldiers in my opinion is to little.

July 30, 2010 at 7:11 am | Report abuse |
    • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

It is a shame when any innocent person dies because of a war!!! But how can you help it when the Enemy uses them as shield???

August 1, 2010 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Jared N.

happy birthday America!!

July 30, 2010 at 7:08 am | Report abuse |
  62. Jeff H from Illinois

To the troops: GOD BLESS each and every one of you!!!

July 30, 2010 at 6:54 am | Report abuse |
  63. Larry

David, You are so wrong about the reason 911 happened. Bush was in office a short time when that occured, and it was a direct result of President Clinton balancing the bufget by cutting 70% of the military's budget. Terrorists have always hated the US, but they were afraid to strike when we had a strong military that was capable of immediate defense. You Obama supporters need to quit trashing Bush and realize the dems have caused most of the strife throughout our history. The current clown will go down as the worst of them all. Jimmy Carter has to be relieved!

July 30, 2010 at 6:50 am | Report abuse |
    • rsfselig

UNDERSTAND THAT TORRORISM IS LIKE A WEED IT WILL GROW WHERE THERE IS NEGLECT AND HAS BECOME A MILITARY DOCTRINE TO FUNDALMENTALISTS THAT SEE IT AS AN EVECTIVE MEASURE IN BREAKING DOWN A SOCIETY

July 30, 2010 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
      • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

YOU HAVE A GOOD POINT!!! BUT WHY ARE YOU YELLING???

August 1, 2010 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Len

Larry,

President Bush had the intelligence in his hands and did not put measures into place to prevent the attacks. He was briefed Al Qaida was determined to attack U.S. also that they would use planes as missiles. He bears some of the blame for not acting on that. He also should be ashamed of selling photos taken just hours after the attack as a fund raiser for the Republican Party. Shameful.

July 30, 2010 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
      • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

Bush rather listen to Cheney rather than listen to the Others that advised him!!! Otherwise he would have stayed in Afghanistan instead of going to Iraq...

August 1, 2010 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

After Bush Sr attacked them they told Bush Jr if he attacked they would attack Our Country!!! They were so afraid of Bush Jr to attack that they attacked us in give us the warning!!! So instead of keeping the troops where they belong... He started the Iraq War instead!!!

August 1, 2010 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Jeff H from Illinois

To the troops: Many of us here believe, politically speaking, that you shouldn't even be there in Afghanistan but please realize I TOTALLY respect and admire you for your courage of conviction that you are doing what is expected of you. I find that to be VERY responsible and you all have my undying thanks and appreciation.

July 30, 2010 at 6:48 am | Report abuse |
    • Sam

NOOOOOOOO. for a simple reason. Its too expensive. Its not worth borrowing money from China to do it.

Also do we ever care to ask how come China and Russia dosn't have to send so many troops to these counties to avoid any seucrity risk posed by these fundamentalists in Afghanistan and Iraq? If these guys pose a threat to them as well then why don't they pay for the war as well. Why should US pay the bill for world security?

July 30, 2010 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
      • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

Why isn't the United Nation and Nato fight the wars??? That would make a lot more sense than Russia and China fighting in them!!! Wouldn't You say??? Otherwise what is the use to having them???

August 1, 2010 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

It is funny those that I speak to think completely different about both wars!!! They tell me they see a lot difference from now and before... They are hopeful we will win the war the way we are doing it!!!

August 1, 2010 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Bill

2 wars, shipping jobs overseas, and millions in tax cuts to the rich caused the unemployment that makes the military look like a good option to the young, all done under Bush. US military commanders stated there are 50 – 100 Taliban left in Afghanistan. All we can do is support the troops and hope the war either clarifies, or ends.

July 30, 2010 at 6:45 am | Report abuse |
    • The other Steve

There's thousands... maybe tens of thousands of Taliban in Afghanistan. There's only about 100 or so Al Qaida left in Afghanistan. There's a difference.

July 30, 2010 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
    • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

We have Obama to thank when these war end right!!! Bush Jr only make things worse for this Country...

August 1, 2010 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Allen

No Ines Freedom is not dead try living in Iran or China or Korea and you will know what freedom is for lack of it. and by the way our military is 100% volunter no one signs up without knowing where they are going, and all my friends who were there are proud to have gone and risk their lives for freedoms sake

July 30, 2010 at 6:44 am | Report abuse |
    • Shawn

You don't see the irony to say for freedom's sake? How is it freedom when we invade and occupy a country to impose our ideas of how they should live? That is the opposite of freedom as far as I'm concerned.

July 30, 2010 at 8:25 am | Report abuse |
      • rsfselig

HOW DO YOU JUSTIFY THE EXSISTENCE OF THE USA AND ARE WE RULING THESE COUNTRIES OR TRYING TO ALLOW THEM SELF SOVERIEGNTY BASED ON FREEDOM OF HUMAN BEINGS, ALBIET NO ONE IS PERFECT IN THIS BUT TO STRIVE TOWARDS IT IS BETTER THAN COMPLETE OPPRESSION

July 30, 2010 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |

Well put,Shawn.

July 30, 2010 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
      • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

Shawn: It is better we are fighting over there and not here in Our Country!!!

August 1, 2010 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
      • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

WHY DO YOU PEOPLE THINK YOU HAVE TO YELL TO GET YOUR POINT OUT??? We are the Country that is willing to fight for the Freedom of Our Country and Others that want to be free!!! YOU OUGHT BE BE PROUD TO BE PART OF THIS GREAT COUNTRY OF OURS... Rather than complain about what we are doing!!! We are keeping This Country free from others that want to do us wrong here...

August 1, 2010 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Allen

Lest you forget all the people who died on 9/11/01. That is what we are fighting to prevent from happening. We fight there or we fight here when they bring it to us. I don't think you want war in your own back yard.

July 30, 2010 at 6:38 am | Report abuse |
    • zach w

and sooner or later they will bring it to us. unless we stop them over there. which impossible or not, we sure as hell better try.

July 30, 2010 at 7:28 am | Report abuse |
    • Sam

This is a crap logic. They have no NAVY or Airforce. They need 200 years to come up with an Airforce and NAVY as good as ours today. We need better boarder security and domestic security measures to stop the incident like of 9/11. That will be much less fun then shooting those Afghans but will cost much less.

July 30, 2010 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
      • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

This is protecting Our Boarders by keeping the tarries and Illegals out of Our Country!!!

August 1, 2010 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

These People hate Israel and the Jews so much... That they don't care what happens to America!!! Even though both sides on the side of the right Countries fighting then...

August 1, 2010 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Ines

The poor are fighting foreign poor people. The politicians are sending young and able men to fight their political wars. Bring your children home, better face a court marshal than die or lose limbs. Nobody is worth dying for. Democracy and freedom died a long time ago, the only war they are fighting now is one to stay alive and come home in one piece.

July 30, 2010 at 6:37 am | Report abuse |
    • rsfselig

THAN HOW IS IT THAT YOU CAN VOICE YOUR OPINION AND NOT SUFFER CONSEQUENCES, TGHE SYSTEM MIGHT NOT BE PERFECT BUT SHOULD WE SIMPLY SIT STILL AND BE SUBSERVANT TO THE WILL OF OTHERS, IF YOU DECIDE TO RELINGUISH YOUR FREEDOM SO BE IT, BUT DO NOT COMPLAIN IF YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO SACRIFICE SOMETHING FOR IT.CAN YOU BE GRATEFUL FOR WHAT OTHERS HAVE DONE FOR YOU?

July 30, 2010 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
      • Sam

why shoudl american soilders die to give democray and freedom to Afghans who are not thankfull at all. Let those guys live in the caves and bring our troops home. Their democracy and freedom cost billions of $ each year that is paid by my tax money. Why can't we defend US sitting in US with world's best NAVY and Air force. Why not spend more money domestically to improve security rather then spending billions to teach Afghans about democracy and culture. Let them learn at their own expense not wtih my tax $. I want my tax dollars spend here in US. Look at our roads and bridges. Look at our job market. Look at our houseing and healthcare problems and the financial melt down?

July 30, 2010 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

Obama will be stopping the unjust war this year... Then next year He will finish the just war and both Countries will be better off for it!!! Especially since He became President...

August 1, 2010 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
      • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

Sam: Because it will keep America much sfare!!!

August 1, 2010 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |

safer (Sorry)

August 1, 2010 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  69. david

Yes RObert, you are off subject. Bush was the reason for THis war and 9-11 the US needs to pull out of IRAQ and Afghanistan and do a full investigation

July 30, 2010 at 6:30 am | Report abuse |
    • Phil

david – that makes no sense, your saying bush is responsable for 9/11? What about all the other attempts from terrorist? Where they his fault as well?

July 30, 2010 at 6:51 am | Report abuse |
      • Greg

Absolutely. Bush planned and executed 9/11. Bush Sr. was responsible for the WTC Bombing 10 years earlier. They were responsible for Vietnam, JFK, Lincoln...everything. Aaron Burr's name was a typo...it was actually Aaron Bush. In fact, the Roman Soldier who nailed Jesus to the cross? Yea...Georgius Bushius.

July 30, 2010 at 7:08 am | Report abuse |
      • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

If Bush Sr and Bush Jr never attacked Iraq... We would never been attacked here by the Muslin!!!

August 1, 2010 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • The other Steve

I heard Bush was responsible for the attack on Pearl Harbor. I also heard he had something to do with the massive 1906 earthquake in San Francisco.

July 30, 2010 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
      • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

Don't you know that WWII was started because of the Jews??? Bushes started every war after that!!!

August 1, 2010 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • rsfselig

this sounds very simplistic and does not deal with the complexity of the world nor of the USA

July 30, 2010 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
  70. Robert

If President Bush were still in office the media would be raising all kinds of negatives.. Now that Barack Obama whom the Media backed is in office , the media is more on the quiet side.What has Barack done , besides given out a ton of unemployment. I personally know people on unemployment who will not look for work while obama keeps handing out free money. they refer to the money as unenjoyment (having a good time).sorry to get off the subject

July 30, 2010 at 6:22 am | Report abuse |
    • Leon

Robert, have you lost your job? Do you have any idea how difficult it is to find a job right now...even with a college degree (graduated with honors)? It's been very difficult, and despite a few "bad apples", the rest of us NEED the extended benefits until work can be found...

July 30, 2010 at 7:04 am | Report abuse |
      • JC

Yeah it's tough but there are jobs out there your just not willing to take one that pays less than you think your worth. I know people who use up their 95 weeks of unemployment and then take that lower paying job but complain about people on welfare. Newsflash thats what you've done for the pas year and a half. Hey here's another one take the jobs that everyone's complaining that Mexicans are taking from them. Go pick some oranges.

July 30, 2010 at 7:30 am | Report abuse |
    • DK

Robert,
      I do too. Most of them didn't look for work until unemployment was almost out. Then they paniced when they couldn't find a job. I guess they thought they were special and would get hired right away. They were busy collecting unemployment, fixing up their house, traveling. Now they're crying they have no money and want benefits extended. Hard to feel sorry for those people. Anyhow, back to the subject. Obama ran on a platform of ending the war. During the campaign, we saw tons of protesters. I guess they were hired because not one of them are ever in sight any more.

July 30, 2010 at 7:22 am | Report abuse |
    • zach w

i know someone who makes 1800 a month on unemployment and has been doing so for a full year. He outright told me that he hasn't looked for a job bc he doesn't have to do anything and makes good money. these people exist. it is a stupid system

July 30, 2010 at 7:26 am | Report abuse |
    • rsfselig

i am not sure this is a resuklt of only Obama, but rather an unhealthy symptom of a deeper issue in our society, apathy,selfcenteredness,lazziness and a never ending thirst for material gains at thde expense of others

July 30, 2010 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
    • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

Right you never hear anything negative about Obama!!! Start watching the News and not the Cartoons...

August 1, 2010 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Rae Reniker

As the mother of a former soldier who served in both Iraq and Afghanistan, this news saddens me immensely. I pray for the families who lost their loved one; I pray for resolution that will bring our soldiers home.

July 30, 2010 at 6:16 am | Report abuse |
    • rsfselig

amen to that and may God watch over all human life

July 30, 2010 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
    • Sam

I pray for a quick resolution too. I hope this war ends soon.

July 30, 2010 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

Thank Your Son for Serving Our Country so Greatly... May GOD be with all of You though out Your Lives!!! I appreciate everyone that put their lives out there to help better this Country...

August 1, 2010 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
      • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

Come on Phunnie boy,will you kindly quit using my name to blog in your ignorance?Please!!!

August 1, 2010 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  72. jack

Believe me the US will go home in defeat and humiliation more than what russian suffer if they insist to stay longer and longer.This is the land of hell, hundreds of years proven. It is rich in mineral but nobody can dig it, foreign forces can only dig their grave but not the natural resource. Bringing home the entire US troops as soon as possible is the best idea before everything can destroy the entire US economy and US people as well.

July 30, 2010 at 6:12 am | Report abuse |
    • 3649

I dont think our intentions are that of what the Russians did. Our job is only to "stablize," and training ANA and ANP are a part of that. Our troops along with NATO are doing a fine job. Please do not taboo the situation by labeling it a defeat or putting us in the category of Russian's defeat. It is disrespectful to those who served and are serving.

July 30, 2010 at 6:36 am | Report abuse |
      • insane1

So were the Russians. They were trying to stablise a country that bordered thiers to keep terrorists that we armed and trained from spilling into the USSR.

July 30, 2010 at 7:44 am | Report abuse |
      • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

The difference the Russian tried to take over the Country!!! We are training them to take care of themselves... That is a big difference!!!

August 1, 2010 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
      • George Patton

Come on Larry,you know better than that!!!

August 1, 2010 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
      • Daniel-2

Larry,just when are you going to come out of that fairy tale world of yours?Anybody with half a brain would know that what you just posted here is by no means true.The Russians were not the villains nor are the NATO forces the heros portrayed by the right-wing news media.Get real,please!

August 1, 2010 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • rsfselig

ignoring this war and denial will only lead to further destruction of freedom and encourage oppression, other avenues must be utilized besides military options in order to abolish radical thinking and behaviors

July 30, 2010 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
      • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

Don't tell them that... They are messed up bad enough already!!! LOL

August 1, 2010 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

We would have if Bush Jr had His way... But the way we are doing it now... We will have PEACE in both Countries!!!

August 1, 2010 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Robert

what is our mission in afghanistan?

July 30, 2010 at 6:06 am | Report abuse |
    • Jason From Wisconsin

Your guess is as good as mine. I t seem's we get a different answear each time the President talks, Then the VP Biden, The Gates and so on. We're there to build then we're not? what is it?

July 30, 2010 at 6:14 am | Report abuse |
      • redmanin ga

please THE GREAT BUSH GOT US IN ALL THIS MESS ECONOMY AND THE 2 WARS NOT OBAMA

July 30, 2010 at 7:02 am | Report abuse |
      • Tarvalon

I would rather say you are there to fight those that attacked us on 9/11, Bin Laden and the Taliban, but truth be told you are really there because the world corporations need to control the middle east for the lifeblood that runs the world. Once Afghanistan is under Allied control as is most of Irag then the true operation can begin. I am sure you can see where this is going. Soon operation Iran will begin.

July 30, 2010 at 7:11 am | Report abuse |
      • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

First learn how to spell!!! Then come out and talk with us Adult...

August 1, 2010 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dan in Lafayette,IN

Our mission is to kill or capture the terrorist regime called the Taliban who allowed the terrorist organization called al Qaeda to train and plan attacks against America and which planned and carried out the 9/11 attacks! Also we need Afghanistan to become a partner in our war against terror or else we will be there again if the Taliban should regain power!

July 30, 2010 at 6:30 am | Report abuse |
      • Daniel-2

Dan,do get over that hatred.Hatred is but one thing,bad and accomplishes nothing.

July 30, 2010 at 7:24 am | Report abuse |
      • rcooder

Let's see, where to begin... Make no mistake about Dubya's intent with the whole Irag and Afganistan war. We started out going after Bin Laden and company in Afganistan. That's fine – go after the ones who bloodied our nose. But he took his eye off the ball with Iraq. And here's Dubya's true intent – oil. Anyone who tells you any different has their head stuck in the sand. Now fast forward to present day. We now have a Vietnam type of quagmire with Afganistan. Our mission remains – capture or kill Bin Laden. As for the nation building we are trying to accomplish – big waste of time. It might take a year or ten years, but sooner or later – that region will inevitably will revert back to its cesspool ways. It is their culture. As for Bin Laden, we should lay in wait and strike with a small task force. The CIA could figure something out.

July 30, 2010 at 7:32 am | Report abuse |
      • rsfselig

i believe this was the initial task and as we see the war on terrorism is ever spreading and demands vigilance or else freedom as we know it shall perish,there is a price for freedom

July 30, 2010 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
      • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

rcooder: What can you expect from a Republican President??? Don't you know oil is more important than getting those that caused 9/11 to the Republicans??? That way they make their money on the oil and the Weapons sold to fight the wars!!! What did People care that when Bush was in office??? Our Military was not being protected with what they sent them!!! It took Obama to make sure everything they got was what they needed... Even if it Cost the same to make the good stuff as it cost to buy the crap that Bush sent in the first place!!!

August 1, 2010 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rich B

To Kill the Taliban

July 30, 2010 at 6:39 am | Report abuse |
    • USAF Rigger

Hearts and Minds

July 30, 2010 at 6:47 am | Report abuse |
    • Greg

1. Al Qaeda in the mountains; the Taliban likewise...border between Afghanistan and Pakistan. Now one of the big interests. Given those elements, Pakistan has nukes.
      2. Regional conflict between Pakistan and India for years; Pakistan has nukes.
      3. Iran on the other flank. Pakistan has nukes; Iran wants nukes.
      4. Believe Regional Stability would be a big US interest. Containment of terrorism (Al Qaeda, Taliban, et al)
      Our Service Members are present for several purposes and most are proud and willing to serve our Nation...to serve you and I. I really don't think our politicians and leaders enjoy this one bit. They are looking after our interests and security in a very complicated and connected world. We have many good men and women filling National leadership positions. We have precious young (and older) lives standing forward toward danger for each of us. I am proud of those who serve with integrity and dignity. I am thankful for those who serve with an understanding heart. And I try to be a force for good in our Country so that America can remain strong and be the land of freedom and libert that I grew up in with a firm and planted trust in God. The global war on terrorism does feel somewhat fatigued. It won't stop and will arrive closer and closer to the doorstep of your and my home if we do nothing.

July 30, 2010 at 7:05 am | Report abuse |
      • rsfselig

it is refreshing to hear the voice of sanity,reality in todays world is that terrorism and fundalmentalists are here and will grow unless steps are taken and at times this requires military action,the real goal is not oppression but rather resolution to a peaceful world of coexsistence

July 30, 2010 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
      • MaryM

Outstanding and thank you to both of you. It's good to know that some people are well informed and are not using political agendas in their arguments. The reality is that the stability of the US depends on the stability of these other countries.

July 30, 2010 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
      • Daniel-2

Here's more of this sickening right-wing bla-bla-bla!How old it gets!!!

July 30, 2010 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse |
      • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

Your pint is??? At least they aren't using them like Iran and North Korea would if they got them!!!

August 1, 2010 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
      • clark

HELLO. Anyone in there? We have terrorism here, but instead of your head being blown off, we are instead threatened with the fake immortality of money, and when mainstream society and the media perpetuate the need for more money at all costs, politicians gladly trade moral action for cold hard cash. it is a culture clash. over there its do or die, here its do or get rich... which would you pick? all we have to do is concentrate on defending this nation: hire air traffic controllers who arent blowing meth in the bathrooms. strengthen our national borders. our best defense, is not our offense. get your head out of the star spangled clouds.

August 1, 2010 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • osama bin laden

they are trying to find mee

July 31, 2010 at 12:29 am | Report abuse |
      • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

How do you like living on the Bush Ranch??? Are they treaty you well???

August 1, 2010 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Roy

Mission in Afghanistan: To keep the young and restless Americans occupied and get as many of them killed!! The American economy is in a shambles and cannot productively employ and sustain all these young American people.

August 2, 2010 at 9:09 am | Report abuse |
  74. Capt. Nemo

Bring them all home now!

July 30, 2010 at 5:59 am | Report abuse |
    • Andrew

CPT Nemo, are you in Korea?

July 30, 2010 at 6:05 am | Report abuse |
    • Rich B

Why? We havent killed Bin Laden yet.

July 30, 2010 at 6:38 am | Report abuse |
      • BABAK

Bin Ladin is a 6'4" Arab living in a cave hooked up to a dialisis machine. How hard is he to find? They will show him when they want our votes.

July 30, 2010 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
      • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

Bin Laden is living with the Bush's in Texas where We will never find him!!!

August 1, 2010 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • George Patton

There was another Capt.Nemo who was in Jules Vernes' book "20,000 Leagues Under The Sea".He was a Polish Nobleman whose family was destroyed by the Russians before he built his fantastic submerine.If you read the book you'd know what I was talking about.It was about getting his vengeance on the Russians and he made that his life's goal.Do you harbor any vendetta toward the Russians,yourself?I don't!

July 30, 2010 at 7:20 am | Report abuse |

Neither do I.

July 30, 2010 at 7:25 am | Report abuse |
    • rsfselig

that would be nice ,however it would also be irresponsible and the consequences would have ramifications in this countries security

July 30, 2010 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |
  75. Jason From Wisconsin

Darion,

I hope you son stays safe and shoots straght. I was over there in 05 in a Marine Infantry unit. It's not what the movies show it to be I can tell you that! My prayers go out to your son and his unit along with the 3 fallen soldiers.

July 30, 2010 at 5:57 am | Report abuse |
  76. Darion

my son was on this mission i talked to him today when he told me they lost 3 soldiers on their way back from their mission. this is a horrible situation that our soldiers are facing. my prayers go out to the families of these 3 soldiers. God Bless

July 30, 2010 at 5:17 am | Report abuse |
    • DK

Darion – I hope your son stays safe. God bless him for the work he is doing. I thank him.

July 30, 2010 at 7:24 am | Report abuse |
    • amanda

Darion
      One was my nephew. His family is at my home now. at some point i am sure my sister and his young widow will want to talk to others who were there. right nw we are in shock. the world chnaged in my living room yesterday when the Marines notified us> we are devastated.

July 30, 2010 at 9:36 am | Report abuse |
      • MaryM

God bless, I will say a prayer for him. It is such a shame to loose someone this way. I have lost many friends and it never gets any easier.

July 30, 2010 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |
      • Jerry

MaryM,do you remember what happened in Baghdad on Feb.13,1991? Well I do.I saw one man bewail the loss of his entire family.How do you think he felt??? I guess that you just don't care,do you?????

July 30, 2010 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
      • MaryM

Jerry, I don't know what you're talking about since you didn't quantify your story. Are you saying that praying for a fallen soldier is wrong?

July 30, 2010 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
      • Jerry

Really MaryM?Where were you on Feb.13,1991 during the first Gulf War?Are you trying to say that you knew nothing of this dastardly act on that date when two American pilots in a B2 bomber dropped on or two bombs on the Amriya air raid shelter in Baghdad mudering at least 414 civilians??? I find that incredible.

July 30, 2010 at 7:18 pm | Report abuse |
      • Strong

Jerry people like you make me sick.

August 1, 2010 at 12:37 am | Report abuse |
      • BUBBA--ALABAMA STYLE!!!

Strong,get over your ignorance,please.Will you just wise up!!!

August 1, 2010 at 6:34 am | Report abuse |
      • MaryM

Jerry,

Have you ever been to Ameriyah? Well I have. I have walked the streets there, met the people and been in numerous houses. Not one person ever mentioned such an attack (civilian or terrorist). Additionally that area was home to Saddam's elite and some of the richest in Iraq. The area is well built and well kept. It was one of the only areas I've ever seen that had actual grass in some people's yards.

August 2, 2010 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • BABAK

Darion; I keep your son and familt in my preyers. Please fogive the ignorance of a few commnets on here. I hope your son and the rest of our kids come back soon and safe. God bliss you

July 30, 2010 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
      • Jerry

What is not forgivable BABAK,is the ignorance and arrogance of these right-wing fanatics!

July 30, 2010 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • james

Obviously your son needs a talk about OPSEC, as he should know not to discuss ANY matters concerning casualties to anybody back in the states.

July 31, 2010 at 1:09 am | Report abuse |
    • Shawn

No matter we like it OR not, If we want to end this conflict in Afghanistan, we have to get help from Pakistan, so they can force Afghan Taliban to get on with negotiations with USA.
      We have already tried alone for 9 years alone and its not working..

We will have to accept the fact that Pakistan Army / ISI will never let India get into any role in Afghanistan..because they do not want to get encircled by india from both sides..

As soon as we realize above, we can we out of this mess in Afghanistan..

July 31, 2010 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

May GOD watch over the Families that had the great sacrifice of Their love Ones!!! May GOD also watch over those that are Their fighting for Our Country and Freedom... Those of You that do not support Our Troops ought to be ashamed of Yourselves!!! Our Veterans have always put Their lives out for This Country... We should be supporting them there and the ones at are home that fought for us... I am Proud I am a Veteran had had a chance to help out This Great Country of Ours!!!

August 1, 2010 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
      • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

Is that you again,Phunnie boy?

August 1, 2010 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
      • tedk55

I only wish that they'd stop this idiotic war!What in the world is it proving anyhow?

August 1, 2010 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • illona

i hope they put a stop to this war too many of our children n family members r dyeing in afghanistan not to mention all soldiers that r wounded critically it breaks my heart to see all these boy sgetting killed too all mothers that have lost there kids i am so sorry it is not fair i am a mom of a son that wil b deploying soon and i am scared to death i wil loose my only son cant we stand up tell pres obama to bring r troops home now bfor it is too late our kids deserve to live there lives this war isnt goin anywhere too many boys have shed there blood thank u too all the soldiers that hav died or have been in this terrible war u are so brave to protect us but now its time for ppl to bring u all back home to ur families lets keep asking pres obama to bring troops home now god bless families of all fallen soldiers

August 1, 2010 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dhill

I'm so very sorry for all the families that have nothing else to do but worry. My son is stationed at Arlington and day after day he helps lay to rest all of OUR fallen loved ones. If any of the nay sayers would stop for just one minute and remember that we are all losing, but if you don't support the war that's fine but if don't support our troops ARE YOU REALLY AN AMERICAN? From one mother of a soilder that does love his country and he is proving it everyday. I pray for all the families that have loved ones in the military. Ignore the negitivity and remain postive. GOD BLESS AMERICA

August 3, 2010 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |