July 15th, 2010

Afghanistan's 'Oprah' helps heal country's wounds

She's a sexy celebrity with millions of fans, including U.S. President Barack Obama.

With flashy music videos and a performance at the White House this past March, Mozhdah is a singing sensation and a model. And her latest achievement is becoming the host of a popular - though controversial - television talk show.

But if you don't know who she is, you're probably not an Afghan.

Mozhdah Jamalzadah is an Afghan superstar in a country still struggling with war and a battle between ideologies and cultures.

Born in Kabul, Mozhdah was only five when her family fled to Canada.

"When I was growing up, my parents were like, 'don't ever forget where you're from. And don't ever forget your people because you're one of the lucky ones,'" she says. And she didn't forget.

The singer, in her mid-twenties, came back to Kabul seven-months ago where she is now caught between two very different worlds. "I was an emotional mess when I came here and I realized I might not want to go back (to Canada).," she says sitting inside an armored vehicle driving along the streets of Kabul.

"But then I have my life over there too," she says reminiscing about her family and friends in Canada.

Including one furry friend.

"I miss my cat so much!" she says laughing.

Mozhdah performed at the White House earlier this year and met President and Mrs. Obama.

Mozhdah is a self-proclaimed nerd who loves both of her countries, got her feminist ideology from her father and her best friend is her mother.

She says that all she wants to do is make a difference in Afghanistan.

On this day Mozhdah is making her twice a month trip to a local orphanage. Many of the kids here don't even know how big of a star she is, they're just happy that someone remembers them.

Mozhdah holds their hands and asks them about their studies. And the children read her poems and sing songs in gratitude.

With the help of a local bank, Azizi Bank, Mozhdah is able to bus over 100 children and their teachers to a high-end restaurant in the heart of the city where they will have a luxurious lunch overlooking the capital.

"Children are very much abused here," Mozhdah explains about Afghanistan, "women are very much abused and looked down upon here. And those are the issues that we're trying to tackle."

Sensitive cultural issues that are generally not talked about openly in this conservative Islamic society are challenged on her show "Mozhdah."

Likened to an Afghan "Oprah" by some, Mozhdah is using her show to try and help Afghanistan progress.

"What I want to do is tackle really serious issues within the family because I think the family is the foundation to a better nation," she says.

Mozhdah mixes both entertainment and education.

"What we try to do is we try to mildly bring the issues up and you know, mix it up with a song," she says with a giggle.

Mozhdah and her producers say that some within the Afghan government are not happy with Mozhdah's more liberal political views and western-inspired clothing.

"That freedom that you have over there in the western world. The freedom of speech, the freedom to dress the way you want, the freedom to express yourself the way you want. You can't do any of that here."

Although the Taliban have never threatened Mozhdah, she says she has received many threats from other hardliners within the government and society.

"There were threats that I got, through Facebook, through YouTube. One was: 'someone should put a bullet through her head and stop her from doing this, she's a disgrace to our nation,'" she says.

The government once stopped one of her shows from airing after watching the promos because she wasn't wearing a headscarf - although not against Afghan law, it is considered out of line to many conservatives in the country.

"I guess they realized if I was going to be the host of a show within Kabul and not wear a headscarf, it may start a new trend. Girls might get the courage not to wear the headscarf," she says jokingly making light of the situation.

Although Mozhdah is mindful of her dress she says she will continue to talk about the tough issues.

This week's shows are about divorce - a taboo topic in Afghanistan.

And although she is a bit nervous about the reaction the traditionalists may have she feels strongly about educating the Afghan population. Bringing in a marriage expert to answer questions and having actors role-play a family going through a divorce.

"I'm not the type to get scared too easily but when the issues get really intense, there are a lot of people who are going to get annoyed by me," she says. "And if they get annoyed, it's not the States or Canada where I'd get a threat and call 911 and file a complaint. That's not how it works here. If they want to get rid of you, they get rid of you."

A grim reality she chooses to live with because Mozhdah refuses to give up. She says that most Afghans, after decades of war, just want some kind of change.

"They've never had the chance to grow or evolve and their dying to."

Mozhdah hopes that she can be, even a small part, of that change.

1. basir ahmad gharjistani

hi how r u this is sayed basir ahmad gharjistani iam from dear afghanistan

August 25, 2010 at 5:38 am | Report abuse |
  2. Bk

I wish her all the best of success in her mission, she is dong something that none of us have done and in some cases, none of us are willing to do. She is the start of change by being in that position. I am an American by birth, I can't control where I was born or the situation around it...and I don't understand why most people immediately resort to antics like above when talking about something like this. These comments should be made about the article, not the race or ethnicity of the subject, or the stereotypical crap we feed ourselves to further our human divide. No matter what you believe or what color your skin is, we are all humans, the most evolved and intelligent species on this planet, yet we all act like something less. I wish to support this woman in her journey and hope she lives out a long inspiring career to promote change.

July 22, 2010 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
  3. Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

The one thing I have said that the Muslin and Catholics are trying to make the world their way!!! The difference is how they are doing it...

July 20, 2010 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

I never said all Muslin are bad!!! Infact I have friends that are Muslin and I'm Jewish...

July 20, 2010 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

We are going the right way to fight against the Muslin... Us in Iraq and Israel keeping the rest in check!!!

July 20, 2010 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
  6. Tafgan

I think Sajia from Ariana Afghan Tv should have been the one instead of this one.
    What do you guys think?

July 19, 2010 at 10:44 pm | Report abuse |
  7. aukala

Who flew the planes into the WTC, Pentagon and ground in PA? ummm......believe it was DEVOUT MUSLIMS. Allah be damned, read the koran – death to the infidels. Loving religion? I don't think so. They are inhumane pigs.
    I say let them kill each other.....just keep them out of the 'West", which shouldn't be difficult since they claim to 'HATE THE WEST'.

July 19, 2010 at 7:36 pm | Report abuse |
  8. www.jaxsprats.com

Good article, shows the devastation this war has caused

July 19, 2010 at 7:04 am | Report abuse |
  9. Afghan-Canadian

Dear Atia Abawi,

I am an Afghan-Canadian from Vancouver and I know Mozhdah. Here are some clarifications.

1. She's not 25 – she graduated high school in 2000. Do the math – she's at least 28. This made me laugh.

2. Her participation in charity and fundraising initiatives for Afghanistan before this show was zero. Why? Because doing so did not further her quest to become famous. Now that this is her marketing strategy, she's all about saving the Afghan children. (Barf).

3. Mozhdah left Vancouver to start her show in Kabul, because her modeling career failed her; her singing career was not getting anywhere either. Aside from working in her mother's hair salon and dating complete losers, really didn't have much else going on here. She saw an opportunity to further her career in Afghanistan. She's not a humanitarian, she's an opportunist.

4. Mozhdah is not capable of being a socially or politically influential person in Afghanistan (the way some may argue Oprah has been in the US) because she simply does not have intellectual or academic grounding to do so. I have never heard her convey anything marginally insightful about Afghanistan, except for the same cliche comments we hear every day (ex. I will stand up for Afghan women by removing my veil). But I guess that's why CNN is glorifying her.

5. What saddens me is that there are Afghan women out there who are actually risking their lives for the betterment of Afghans, but we rarely see/hear anything about them, especially from CNN. Perhaps this is because, unlike Mozhdah, they are not amicable to foreign involvement in Afghanistan and refuse to regurgitate whatever they are told to say. They are knowledgeable enough about the intricacies of the situation in Afghanistan to know that western involvement has only brought more pain and misery to Afghans and, in particular, worsened the lives of Afghan women.

July 18, 2010 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • simplyacomment

Let's just give her a benefit of a doubt. and A for her effort! Just deciding to go back to Afghanistan is hard enough and how much more put on the spotlight where she could be targeted. Let's hope and pray she will be safe and OK.

July 19, 2010 at 5:14 am | Report abuse |
      • Anabel

I concur.

July 19, 2010 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • DC

wow, this is extremely harsh...

what have YOU done besides drink that early morning hater-ade.

July 22, 2010 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
      • Afghan-Canadian

In addition to drinking my regular cup of hater-ade, I've visited the country countless times and donated to a number of local organizations, including orphanages. On every visit, I've brought with me basic items (ex. warm winter clothing) and important equipment/supplies (ex. basic medical supplies, textbooks for schools etc).

I am educated enough to understand that bringing lasting reform in Afghanistan takes a lot more than the blind refusal to wear a headscarf (or other similar surface issues, which at this time, will only be perceived as impositions of western values and therefore will only further fuel radical ideology). I've published several papers in this area through out my schooling.

My problem is not so much with the forum that this show provides, but the person that's leading it – Mozhdah is NOT qualified for this role (except for maybe the singing/entertaining part). There's a lot to be said for leading by EXAMPLE. She should stick to being a wana-be Afghan pop-diva – sorry I just took a sip of my hater-ade (yummy!).

July 23, 2010 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Fr33th!nk3r

She ought to be VERY careful when visiting her homeland– they have this really strange and barbaric practice of spraying acid on 7 year old girls there, for trying to go to school. I'd hate to think what they would do with an affirmed feminist who is in cahoots with the evill western civilization, and sings of freedom....

July 18, 2010 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Anabel

That you consider a woman's body her 'wares' speaks reams about your respect for them.

July 19, 2010 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Chris....from AL-A-BAMA

See what i mean Yak? This last exchange you had with Bubba was pretty hateful... and why? Because he feels different about this subject than you do. Oh Bubba... are you from Alabama? Judging by some of your posts on other boards, I would venture to say that you are not from Alabama. I could be wrong... if so, then i apologize in advance. But if i'm right, i would appreciate you not using Alabama in your screen name. Its completely up to you, but im proud of the overall conservative stance of my state and you are slandering my states name on these boards. Just something to think about... i would appreciate it though.

July 18, 2010 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse |
  12. atal

Frightening. Why would you want them to be able to hijack something like that.

July 18, 2010 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Nifo

Ahh
    She doesnot represent the mainstream afghani women , she lived her whole life in Canada ,
    she will be rejected by the vast majority of women but again CNN and Atia donot present the other side and keep presenting her as a star , very well popular or Operah of Afganistan , I am sure that only very few people know her.

July 18, 2010 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • BUBBA--ALABAMA STYLE!!!

You mean she is enlightened, read the count above to find out how many more people have heard of her. I am sure her 'fame' will spread.

July 18, 2010 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • BUBBA--ALABAMA STYLE!!!

Spoken like a true 'Social Donkey'

July 18, 2010 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Zee

Yes Persian people are very ignorant. I have been working with them for a year now and if I could count the comments that come out of not only Afghan people but also Iranians ...it's just impossible. Most of them are following Arian beauty standards like the rest of the entire World (sick) World and most DO get nose jobs. THAT BEING SAID...I feel the same way about almost everybody else out there. People are less and less genuine. I think its kind of interesting that a major carrier like CNN is comparing Oprah a World star to An Afghan host. No Offense CNN but these two women are on different caliber and Oprah should be respected more than just comparing her to a afghan host. Some of those societies have deeply ingrained views of things and I do not believe they can be changed easily..She needs to have a carefully sought out plan to actually bring change and not FAME.

July 17, 2010 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  15. omar

Anyone who is helping the poor people, I am proud.

July 17, 2010 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  16. OldMo

Instead of giving out cars to her audience, does she give out car bombs? *rimshot*

July 17, 2010 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
  17. honest

Thanks Muzhda jan! I am so proud of you and thanks to your parents. your help and spending time with those childeren. which, really need somebody help them. Shows, that, you belongs to strong and good family which never forgeting where they come from and who they really are. your role model to afghan comunity.
    From England

July 17, 2010 at 8:52 am | Report abuse |
  18. Goldie

Only if one or two percent of Afghanistans have the same vision and guts of this beautiful young lady, to try to make their country better, Afghanistan would need no help from other countries and can stand on its own feet. Shame on those who criticize her contracdicting the Afghanistan traditional way of life, which is always abusive to children and women.

July 16, 2010 at 8:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • K

Its not their vision its your vision, why don't you understand that they don't want your vision?????

July 16, 2010 at 11:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ron

Slave to the west? Enslavement? What?
      ....And Afghans were "free" under the Taliban before the west? Yea, I didn't think so.
      Remember the Taliban were so hardline they destroyed those ancient buddhist statues in the mountain side... simply because they were a statue (hence forth not allowed under forced Islam). They destroyed a world heritage site, one of the oldest at that, for no good reason! That was all well before 911.
      By the way, we here in the west, us westerners... we are the only true slaves of the west!
      Frankly if we are to be considered the "slaves", then the Taliban treated you all like Dogs then.... us slaves have it pretty good!

July 17, 2010 at 7:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • BUBBA--ALABAMA STYLE!!!

You only have the right to speak for the people of Afghanistan if you are an Afghan do not presume to speak for them.

July 18, 2010 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Terrysa

Her actual name is Haramzadeh and she is proving it to be.

July 16, 2010 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Ralph

Of all the things we could export to another country– Fat *ss Oprah's culture of whinning and victimization. God save us from her and save the rest of the world from her imitators.

July 16, 2010 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Bushies

How is she healing wounds that are being inflicted daily on the people of Afghanistan by our NATO forces? She's the CNN Editor's Choice because she's the latest globalist's propaganda figurehead, such as Neda is for CNN's war-mongering exploits against Iran.

Heal Afghanistan's wounds by getting NATO the hell out of there. At least the Taliban are not droning Afghanistan's women and children to death. The Taliban may be offensive to women's rights, but NATO is killing more women in Afghanistan than are the Taliban.

Healing wounds? Mozhdah should be using her celebrity status against NATO. In the long run, she'd be better off being a hero of her own people, then being a hero/tool of the global elite. When the globalist elite have finally used her up and spit her out, she'll have no where else to go except home.

July 16, 2010 at 9:08 am | Report abuse |
  22. Sue

She prefers driving around in armored vehicles in Kabul, to roaming the free streets of Canada ??? I find that very hard to believe. And oh, typical "celebrity" behavior.....apparently, spending loads of money on "taking kids out to a fancy restaurant" is more important than spending that money on 3-4 nutritious meals / books / crayons.....

July 16, 2010 at 7:59 am | Report abuse |
    • Terrysa

Sue, have you ever been SUED before...shut up or some will.

July 16, 2010 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Jeff

I'm curious who the afghan charlie sheen is from two and a half men. Now THAT would be impressive.

July 16, 2010 at 7:32 am | Report abuse |
    • Terrysa

You wanna be one, Jeff, the smart ass!!!

July 16, 2010 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
  24. The Mentalist

As a western trash, she will never be accepted in those societies and rightfully so; she is not Afghan and oh boy! not even remotely represents dignified Afghan/Pak women.

July 16, 2010 at 4:16 am | Report abuse |
  25. Brad

Did anyone else notice the error at the end of the article? Two commas in the last short paragraph are unnecessarily put in. Who the devil writes for CNN making these kinds of errors? Terrible editing, to be sure.

July 16, 2010 at 3:32 am | Report abuse |
    • MeMeMe

Brad, you can not even write, how the heck did you notice such a big mistake...Oh my God...what will happen now...CNN column has 2 COMMAAAASSSSSSSS!!!

July 16, 2010 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Come on, people

You all are just unbelievable. Instead of pontificating on things of which you are clearly entirely ignorant, how about just commending her for the courage to defend victims of injustice? She deserves support, not derision or objectification. What has any one of us done to help our country like she is helping hers?

July 16, 2010 at 1:59 am | Report abuse |
    • GodIsForImbeciles

Are you kidding us?

July 16, 2010 at 3:51 am | Report abuse |
    • MeMeMe

You may not have helped, but I help my country everyday in every way possible. She is putting her country on the wrong showbiz like track and all the women will become like dancers...you don't want that, do you?

July 16, 2010 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  27. New York

America is a great country and the Afghans are blessed to have that support, we are all guilty of past misdeeds (some more than others). Millions of my African ancestors were enslaved for over 400 years during the latter part of our 5,500 years of written history. They rose up from that situation without the resources of education, culture, family, property ownership or basic human rights in a foreign country even while free and while being oppressed and persecuted to this day have risen to compete and lead.
    It’s not hard to believe that women, children and young men of Afghanistan that want change will get it. The young and women outnumber the old 5 to 1. The old will either give them their rights or they will take it. The old get old and the young get stronger, they got the guns but who’s got the numbers? Live free or die they will have it.

July 15, 2010 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • DevsFan72

Two words: Rosetta Stone.

July 16, 2010 at 9:15 am | Report abuse |
  28. dave

I commend this young lady for her courage. I am sure there is a mix of naiveity in her and a some brashness but I fear for her life. Regardless of SALAM says I know for a fact that women are treated like property and she will pay dearly for exposing so many truths.... keep up the good work if you must but be prepared for a rough ride. It WILL come to an end

July 15, 2010 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Terrysa

Whats up lovely!

July 15, 2010 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
  30. David Sims

I have to agree with Mr.Salam.
    Afghanistan is completely different then Arabic countries.

Afghan people are nice and calm. I do have some afghan friends in the US. 10 times better then niggggaz :P

July 15, 2010 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • GodIsForImbeciles

Don't you mean "sandnigggggaz?"

July 15, 2010 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Salam

Silly Americans cannot understand the difference between Afghanistanis and Arabs. Afghanistanis speak Persian and Pashto and they are the people of Great Khorasan if you know history a bit. Now the country called Afghanistan.

July 15, 2010 at 7:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • GodIsForImbeciles

Silly Salan: They're called "Afghanis" not Aghanistanis. What pre-school did you crawl out of?!

July 15, 2010 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
      • Salam

If you are a racist nationalist Pashtun, then, it is Afghanis, but to make a generalize name that represent the whole population, then, it should be Afghanistanis. I went to pre-school of justice and human equality. I hope that helps.

July 15, 2010 at 11:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • GodIsForImbeciles

You went to pre-school of "justice and human equality?" Maybe you should have spent more time with the coloring books instead of sniffing the Play-Doh!

July 16, 2010 at 3:54 am | Report abuse |
    • Bledsoe

Sounds like you avoid both football and soap. Especially soap try using some to wash out your mouth.

July 16, 2010 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Afghan-Canadian

I am originally from Afghanistan and speak both official languages fluently in addition to English. The people of Afghanistan are referred to as "Afghans". The currency is called "Afghanis". Afghanistanis is not a word. Get it right.

July 18, 2010 at 7:32 pm | Report abuse |
  32. GodIsForImbeciles

What PC spew. Afghanistan will remain in the clutches of Muslim hysterics. She should stay in Canada.

July 15, 2010 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Daniel-2

I just wonder how much the C.I.A.paid this bimbo to drum up support for NATO.

July 15, 2010 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Terrysa

Daniel, please contact IRS to get an answer to this stupid question.

July 15, 2010 at 9:06 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Michael Mallon

I wonder how many people even see her show outside Kabul. And of those who do, I wonder how many understand her dialect. Afghanistan is a grab-bag of all kinds of cultures and languages.

This is kind of an interesting news piece but I imagine her influence as a daytime talk show host is unremarkable. I would have liked to hear more about her family's struggles to escape to Canada and how her parents perceive their homeland, as well as how they relate to the West's policy toward the Middle East.

July 15, 2010 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • AasteenKaChotia

Michael Mallon, do you even know who your parents were or are and where they are now. Stop worrying about other people's struggle and start a business and hire some Mexicans...they are good hard working people! (Not all of them though).

July 16, 2010 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Morsal

here are some pictures of Afghanistan back in the day....

July 15, 2010 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Oldwarhorse.

Morsal, those pictures make me want to cry, but only for what is lost. To see those handsome men and lovely women smiling, learning and just enjoying life. Sad what has been lost. All because people want to control someone and something.

Having tasted war, I do not wish the horrors of it on any one, yet this old man would fight again to free a people so that they may find their way in the world. To ALL who would stand up to tryanny, no matter where, I applaud and salute you.

August 9, 2010 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  36. bad-choice

Put afghan women in that direction and reap the fruit in the day of judgement! Forget the non-afghan since they know nothing about their own religion and culture and always want to look at other women since their own are sleeping with someone else, hehehe. Well, she is not raised in a Muslim environment andit shows the up bringing. Beautiful does not mean she is correct on her stances. She is a disgrace to Afghanistan. People are suffering there, and she is lifting her legs.

July 15, 2010 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Asten Weems

Your words are a bad choice. You just talking non-sense just like those people who want her and the Western world dead. You must not understand the purpose of whats she's doing in her homeland since you insult her based on the fact that she was rasied in the West and not opressed in that Afghan envoirnment. Beauty in the other hand represents her well being. Her stance is as correct as ours and it's going to stand once people as a whole reject radical traditionalist muslims in their community.

July 15, 2010 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
      • bad-choice

Do you have any idea what this will bring to that country as a whole...same perversion and no family values in the long run. But the sad thing is...this has to happen since Satan (people like your thinking) will win weak people's heart by showing them this false independence that will put them in hell. Afghans are family oriented people. She is not representing Afghanistan...she is showing of her beauty and nothing else. Is she teaching any trades other than belly dancing. Any thing that can help them earn an honest living? None. Glamor like Hollywood is a false pretense...you end up in a hotel room OD'd.
        Hey no matter what they will do, you will never be happy with them since Satan's work is to put bad ideas in your brain like he has in yours. Good Luck changing the worls!

July 15, 2010 at 8:22 pm | Report abuse |
      • AasteenKaChotia

Asten Weems...I agree with you all the way on this whole issue. Who are you anyway, a HE or a SHE or a HSHE? Just chill...you can not make the world like you think but things are changing and there will always be people who will think your way. So just wait and chill. I don't know if you are young or old or a teen ager...just wait and watch the world turn your way. Don't bring your anger in place like this where there are very few people with brians. (BTW, you are not among those)...so just chill and relax, OK? Thanks.

July 16, 2010 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • DevsFan72

Which muslim enviornment do you speak of? Just like any religions, there are different aspects of it. Too bad she knows how to speak her mind. God forbid more women over there do that. You "men" might actually have to learn how to have a rational conversation with a women who is smarter than you. GET OVER IT!!!

July 16, 2010 at 9:11 am | Report abuse |
      • Asten Weems

Bad Choice, ar eyou THAT f–king stupid? she DOES represent the good of Afghanistan. Unlike people like you she's not a dumb piece of s–t who so cynical enough to hide their hate against women and progress. Guess what Afghanistan is changing for the better and there's nothing you stupid people can do about it. You can talk all the Satan talk all you like. You're no different from many people like her. And all that Satan talk is a bunch of bulls–t and everyone knows it. And it's not like you provide any facts into your claim other than hate and stupidity

July 16, 2010 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
      • MeMeMe

DevsFan72, you BEND OVERRRRR!

July 16, 2010 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Dawn

BRAVE brave brave girl.
    I hope her god protects her.

July 15, 2010 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Terrysa

Dawn is dumb...she is in Canada...where there are no talibans.

July 15, 2010 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Asten Weems

Thanks Mozhdah Jamalzadah, you're a big help to all the good Afghans in your country. Too bad those TRaditionalists have to exist and destory everything they touch. If it wasn't for them (and America supporting the Mujahdeen) Afghanistan wouldn't have been like this for the past 30 years. Now I encourage more people to do more like this. This also includes killing all the Traditionalists muslims who stand in the way of life worldwide. That way we don't have to have more of these wars ever again.

July 15, 2010 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • bad-choice

Remember your idols when your last breath is leaving you...I hope you have repented before that...because THE Almighty will take care of people like you and you will say, "I wish I was just dirt".

July 15, 2010 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse |
      • Asten Weems

What idiols? are you high or something? because I don't worship any idiols. Not even a fairy tale God like yours.

July 16, 2010 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  39. iceprincess

I admire her courage and fear for her life..

July 15, 2010 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Terrysa

Are you made of ice? Go to your freezer right away, dumbo.

July 15, 2010 at 9:08 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Asten Weems

Wow Rydell, you really are an idiot to the ifth-degree. How about you stop talking out of your ass and learn to read up on Afghanistan. You make it seems as though it's like Somalia but in reality it's not. I advise you to shut your stupid mouth before you open it again about something you know nothing about. Most Afghans aren't even like that but some of them are. But just because some of them are evil and backward doesn't mean that the whole country is like that. There are a lot of people trying to make Afghanistan a better place for them and their fellow citizens.

July 15, 2010 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
  41. tony russo

Afghanistan used be very beautiful, just any part of europe. If the British, Russians and Americans did not play their little games afghanistan would not be the way it is right now. There would not be ( NO TALIBANS, ALQEADA, EXTREMIST OR ANY OTHER TERRORIST.

July 15, 2010 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Asten Weems

I agreed full hearty.

July 15, 2010 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
  42. TheEnglishLanguage

"They've never had the chance to grow or evolve and their dying to."
    Improper use of "their". The correct form is "they're"!

July 15, 2010 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • I should be your new editor

Already caught it :-D

July 15, 2010 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Afghan Girl

What this beautiful Afghan woman is doing for my culture ( I am Afghan-American) is truly commendable. To really understand what our culture is like, you'd have to be in it. The country is backwards because of the "pride" of the people. The pride has not gotten us anywhere, and for a woman to speak up and defy the current cultural standards is inspiring. I wish her all the luck in the world.

Afghan women are beautiful, exotic, and most of all...compassionate. Beauty is only skin deep, but many Afghan women have beauty that is deep in their souls.

July 15, 2010 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • I should be your new editor

:-)

July 15, 2010 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • bad-choice

Oh you are a modern Afghan woman...Do you know if Islam allows you to be in tight dress showing your skin in front of other men who want to look deeper than your skin. Go ahead and read the comments about what people are saying and many wants to get into her pants only. Have some respect since you will answer in front of your creator one day when this culture will not help you.

July 15, 2010 at 8:09 pm | Report abuse |
      • DevsFan72

Oh, so stoning people to death and killing all those who do not belive as you will help you?

July 16, 2010 at 9:04 am | Report abuse |
    • Terrysa

I am an afghan girl but I like white wee wee.

July 15, 2010 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Michael T

Oh look. Another 3rd worlder trying to look white. It's not unusual for the top celebrities in 3rd world countries to look white but then they whine about it. White is beautiful.

July 15, 2010 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Victory in freedom

The soft underbelly of Islam is the total lack of a woman;s rights in general society according to the Koran and Haddith. More power to her for what she is doing. Greg Mortenson an American who builds schools for girls and this lady and othes who continue to dialogue about Islam is what is so badly needed.

July 15, 2010 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • DevsFan72

Guess the "good lord" forgot to give you a brain that works. Please learn how to spell before you post anymore. It makes my eyes hurt.

July 16, 2010 at 8:41 am | Report abuse |
  46. pauline

kudos to mozdah for trying to help out those kids in afghan...its a gud thing the war is now over somehow ..if only the rebels will put a halt to the boomings...afghan rebels shud re-think wut cause are they fighting for..during russia's occupancy of their contry most afghani's fled to neighbouring countries...i used to have classm8 back in kuwait their family was forced to take in pakistani citizenship just to get the benefits..now afghani's don't need to do that their country is free..stop the booming..unless they enjoy wut that they do....

July 15, 2010 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

Is that why we are fighting for the Afghanistan!!! While the Pakistan are fighting on their own???

July 19, 2010 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Perverts!!

All of you are a bunch of perverts who have no respect for women! All you want is to feed on meat (dead or alive). Filthy animals, no wonder your women are single mothers..What a shame!!

July 15, 2010 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • DevsFan72

Don't look now, but your ignorance is showing.

July 16, 2010 at 8:34 am | Report abuse |
    • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

With that name you should be talking!!! At Least People know who and where I am...

July 19, 2010 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Marco Antonio Carlini

She is certanly much better looking and hotter than her American counterpart. Anyway, I am Brazilian, and I wonder why the hell is Operah so successful. In my country she would be cleaning toilets (sorry to say that, but it's the truth).

July 15, 2010 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nique_mil

Please, don't embarrass the other Brazilians here. Your comment is so mean and racist. Luckily not all Brazilians view the world like you do.

July 15, 2010 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

That must be a better job you have now right??? We are proud to have Her working for Our Country!!! You be lucky to have some one as smart as Her working for Yours...

July 19, 2010 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
  49. bmsvds

Might want to return to Afghanistan permanently, but she has her life in Canada? Afghanistan or Canada......... don't believe you really have an internal struggle.

July 15, 2010 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  50. I should be your new editor

"They've never had the chance to grow or evolve and their dying to."

Change "THEIR" –> "THEY'RE"

July 15, 2010 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Hmmmm...

She is really cute...really really cute...wish I were her BF...

July 15, 2010 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Moe

WE ARE AFGHANS WE LOVE OUR COUNTRY WE STAY FOR OUR COUNTRY WE WILL DIE FOR OUR COUNTRY WE WILL KILL FOR OUR COUNTRY WE WILL BE ALWAYS WITH OUT COUNTRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THATS THE POWER OF AFGHANISTAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THEY MONEY IS NOT IMPORTANT CAUSE THATS WHAT RUINS EVERYTHING IS MONEY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SO KEEP UR MONEY AND KEEP UR HELP !!!!!!!!!!! WE CAN HANDLE OUR COUNTRY OURSELF

July 15, 2010 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

WHY ARE YOU YELLING??? We are trying to help you make a better Country!!!

July 19, 2010 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
  53. AJ

I wonder what will Afghans do if they see her in those clothes shaking those hips.....

July 15, 2010 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mezyrqzy

They will do nothing...they will do when you go there and walk in front of them...you know what I mean!

July 15, 2010 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

The same thing when they say Hillary There... Nothing...

July 19, 2010 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Ann Marie

How long before the Taliban executes her for working like they do with women in Afghhanistan? Please. The level at which Barack disgusts me.

July 15, 2010 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Robert

What I find very interesting is that all the time President Bush was in office, CNN NEVER showed any story shedding a positive light on the war in Iraq or Afghanistan. Since Obama is in office, suddenly they show cheerful stories about what is going on over there. However, anyone who pays attention to many news sources, and not only CNN, knows that there were indeed positive stories that they could have run during the previous administration. And, why is it that they were all hot and bothered to show pics of caskets coming into Dover AFB during the Bush administration but they don't do that anymore with the Obama administration? Could it be bias CNN has? Anyone who thinks CNN is a mainstream news outlet is fooling themselves.

July 15, 2010 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hi

that's because CNN was busy covering Bush's war (Iraq)

July 15, 2010 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • DevsFan72

That would explain the last time I was over there a friend of mine called it "Communist News Network".

July 16, 2010 at 8:31 am | Report abuse |
      • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

I guess that makes Fox the Idiot Station???

July 19, 2010 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

Because he gave People nothing but Hate... Not like Obama that is making People feel love toward each other!!!

July 19, 2010 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Gargi

For those over there that want to remain with the way of the past is fine. But I am glad that she is doing what she is, so for those that do want to escape the conservative ways feel there is hope through her. She is such a great example for the young people there who feel they are trapped.

July 15, 2010 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

It is to bad that the People aren't the same way!!! Because than maybe there won't be so much hate in the World...

July 19, 2010 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Gargi

She's beautiful. I am so happy she is doing what she is because not many of her kind would dare to do it.

July 15, 2010 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  58. JimmyD

Good for her! Hope she tears that country apart from its dark ways through her entertainments and education.
    (As I read these comments, it's interesting how beauty shapes peoples political views.)

July 15, 2010 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  59. jessica

"exotic looking" – really people? I guess anything that isnt western IS exotic, huh? mysterious too...hmmm?

July 15, 2010 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  60. KD

Yeah she's REALLY HOT and Oprah is light years away from her beauty but on a more serious note, I commend her for remembering her people and taking on issues that many wouldn't even dare to talk about privately, let alone in public.
    I pray that God would protect her and keep her till she returns to Canada because its an understatement to say she's drawing the ire of the Taliban with her work and they would target her for her "liberal" views.

July 15, 2010 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  61. H

Good for her. I am up for anything that would bring a smile to those little girl's faces in the orphanage. Those idiots that threatens her need to get a life by educating themselves and help afghanistan instead of being cowards. This is the problem with afghanistan as there are too many uneducated, irrational, illogical morons out there.

July 15, 2010 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

We should be trying to do the same thing in the United States that She is going to try to do there... We have to get all Countries to take care of Their Homeless, Poor And Orphans!!!

July 19, 2010 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Deb

Look beyond the beauty. There's a person trying to do some good. Use what you can (morally) to get it done.

July 15, 2010 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Manny HM

What I've learned is that the men in those parts of the world where women have to wear those face and head covers are more jealous by nature. I guess they don't want their women to be tempted by other men and vice-versa they don't want other men to be tempted by their wives. They supposedly reserve their attractiveness and beauty only for their husbands. I believe we should respect that. They should also respect the fact that most women in the Western culture feel their beauty and charm when they are looked at twice and admiringly by other people other than their husbands. Different folks, different strokes. What I've heard and it's probably true that women wearing a niqab (only eyes shown) wants to see you but they don't want you to look at them hence you have to see past them as if they're invisible !

July 15, 2010 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • DevsFan72

Hmm, so I should respect the fact that they are not secure enough in their manhood to let their women wear what they want? I don;t think I will be doing that! I further have NO respect for any culture that thinks it's ok to beat their women and stone people to death. They have no respect for any culture outside of their own so I have NO resect for theirs!!

July 16, 2010 at 8:29 am | Report abuse |
    • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

Even today the Woman in the United States aren't equal to the Men... Look at the ones that do the same jobs as the men for less money!!! So how do you expect the rest of the World to do what This Country doesn't do???

July 19, 2010 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Tim

mmmm...so that's why they cover these women up....good god i am loving her....wish they would let us see more of their women. mmmm...let me come show you what an American man is like....

July 15, 2010 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Bob

Are you guys serious? You see her as beautiful because she is westernized. There is beauty in any race or origin it is just you don't see it as beautiful because it doesn't fit your definition of beauty.

July 15, 2010 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • I should be your new editor

She's beautiful because she's beautiful...from what I've read, no one has said anything about admiring how Western she looks. I don't know what you're so upset about.

July 15, 2010 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
      • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

I would rather see her successful in her own country!!! I'm sure she feels the same way... Why do you think she is going back there to help!!!

July 19, 2010 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Chino

Wow. What a great story. I hope she inspires many Afgahn women and gives that country a spark of hope and belief to aspire to something great.

July 15, 2010 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

I would rather see these Country start treaty their People better including Woman!!! That way the whole world would be better off...

July 19, 2010 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Sarah

Great.
    Have you people ever heard of the term Americanization? Westernization?

Since when does taking the headscarf off and showing your arms and looking like every other person represent feminism and women's rights? I think it's a shame that she has to do this show, and rightfully tackle important issues, by conforming to a foreign culture.

July 15, 2010 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Morsal

That is how Afghan women were in 70s...they were doctors and engineers, they dressed like the West, they were educated and free... After Taliban took over, everything changed...The ones who could afford to leave (the fortunate ones) left Afghanistan in early 80s and even 90s...the unfortunate ones who can't leave have to live in that hell.. Believe me if you do some research you'll see what Afghanistan was pre war.

July 15, 2010 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
      • love-me

Let's turn back time to 1970's. But there is no internet then...what the hell.

July 15, 2010 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
      • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

Maybe now things will change there for woman like it finally happen in the United States and Israel!!!

July 19, 2010 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

What make it worse is how these People on here talk about her!!! Don't they have any respect for woman???

July 19, 2010 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
      • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

Love Me: We were better off when Clinton was in office!!! If we didn't have Reagan, Bush Sr and Bush Jr as President... This Country be better off today!!!

July 19, 2010 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
  68. hank1234

Oh well. I'm sure Muhammed will eventually blow her up.
    Allah Ahkbar everyone.

July 15, 2010 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • me

Just shut up you disrespectful idiot.

July 15, 2010 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Ichi

omG ObAMA is fRIenDs wIth a MUsLim wHo dOesNT wEar A BurKA~! /endtroll.

July 15, 2010 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

If you want to play with the Adults... You should write like a Adult!!!

July 19, 2010 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Ray

It's nice to see this. Though not explicitly progressive, and I don't want to brand it as more 'normalized' (which would pin the American influence as normalcy), this shows a cultural willingness to move forward. Destructive influences will fade when better ideas become more accepted. I wish her luck

July 15, 2010 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Stephanie

So glad for women like her changing the world!! Women for change in Afghanistan!!!!!

July 15, 2010 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Joe

Wait until the Taliban get their hands on her.

July 15, 2010 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  73. PacificMan

She brightened my day...I wish her a long life and success.

July 15, 2010 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Rydell

You would think she would want to forget she's from a cesspit. It's a mess over there and if people wanted help they wouldn't be shooting and bombing infidels for coming in their country. They don't clearly don't want change else they wouldn't be threatening her life either. She means well but people seem to enjoy the hole they live in a little too much, to the extent of extreme aggression. Just put a wall around the country and let them bomb each other until there's nothing left. The US could spead up this process with one giant nuke and turn it into a glass wonderland. Hey, it would bring in some good reveneue, make use of what once was one of the worst places to live in the world...

July 15, 2010 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • I'm just a dude looking for a hot chick

Are you a hot chick?

July 15, 2010 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Angelina

Rydell,

Who the heck is THEY???????

THEY-Normal people want to go to work, make a decent living, provide for their families and live in peace. Normal people want their kids to go to school, and work towards a bright future, instead of hearing bombs going off all day. Shut the hell up! I know plenty of Americans that have gone to Afghanistan and have seen nothing but hospitality.

Get your head out of your filthy ass and learn something!!!!!!!!!!

July 15, 2010 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
      • Rydell

Most of "THEY" aren't doing that. Some of "THEY" eat, go to work, and blow things up / shoot things on the side to grab attention for whatever brainwashed extreme and skewed religious cause they believe in. Granted, there are few there living an honest life, but obviously the ones in control don't give a crap – or there aren't enough good ones to turn the tide around. I have no sympathy for the ones living honestly that can leave but refuse. It's such a cesspit over there, change is not going to happen with the compassion approach. That's not in their language. Violence is.

Get your head out of your ass and take a look at reality. This is real.

July 15, 2010 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rydell

If that was the case with my neighborhood I'd be gone. If I was born into it, I would make it a life goal to leave. Anything is better than that place. If you want to stay, then that's your fault.

July 15, 2010 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • thats HOT

There he goes again with his drivel, same bull about putting limits. Infidel!

July 15, 2010 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • love-me

What is an infidel? Are you one? Is it a good thing? Educate me you moron who just came out of your shell and know about other cultures, huh? Have a beer and use your hand.

July 15, 2010 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

The only problem by doing that... They also come over to the United States and kill Our People too!!!

July 19, 2010 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
  75. eegur beevur

re her hotness: afghan, iranian, pakistani, turkish and arab women are beautiful and smoking hot – i am from that region, i know! unfortunately you don't get to see a whole lot of them.

July 15, 2010 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • I'm just a dude looking for a hot chick

@eegur beevur

Where are you from?

July 15, 2010 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
      • eegur beevur

originally from pakistan. my native city, big bad karachi, is also home to the biggest community of afghans outside of afghanistan. also, since the islamic revolution in iran, a large number of iranians transited through karachi before moving on to greener pastures. quite a few of karachi's population have an iranian decent – not to mention that pakistani ethnic groups such as pashtuns and baloch are part of the larger iranic population group that also includes kurds, chechnians, dagestanis and ossetians.

July 15, 2010 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
      • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

This is not the place to do it...! Go on a Dating Program!!! This is for talking Politics...

July 19, 2010 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
      • eegur beevur

@ Larry Valecia: can't blame a dude for tryin' whenever, wherever :)

July 21, 2010 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

If you are from there... You should know the difference between the Middle East Countries and Asian Countries!!!

July 19, 2010 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
  76. thats HOT

Did i mention that she was HOT! I knew afghan women..we have some really beautiful afghani Sikh women in our area but she is definitely among the prettiest!

I am smitten!

July 15, 2010 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • thats HOT

Is that your best try at an insult? Hurling abuses at people who appreciate good things in life?

Spoiling a perfectly good read and some positive energy! I am pretty sure you have nothing else to do, just sit on your computer and hack terror on the world!! This is what you guys do best,...You will kill your own daughters if it comes to it!

Get some education dude....

July 15, 2010 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • AasteenKaChotia

Respect your Mommy, son...she is out of your filthy reach.

July 16, 2010 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
      • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

Johnathon: I can juge someone when they are racist!!! You can tell what they say what type of person they are... They have the right to say all the lies they want... But we have the right to put them where they belong if they are wrong!!!

July 19, 2010 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jonathan

"Muslims do not commit crimes as you pagans do. " People like you are what is wrong with this world. They think that whatever group they identify with is correct, and the other side is wrong. I do not care if you are Muslim, Christian, Jewish, or something else, that does not mean you can judge any group of people as a whole. This is wrong because all groups of people include both good and bad people. There may be some groups that this might not include (extremists/racists/etc). I am not saying that I agree with all religions. I am a Christian. I am also logical and understand that everyone has a choice to do what they want in life, and believe what they choose to believe in. I just think that if people worried more about doing right in their own lives and less about others imperfections we would all be better off. I think Jesus says it best though:

“Judge not, and you will not be judged; condemn not, and you will not be condemned; forgive, and you will be forgiven; 38 give, and it will be given to you. Good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, will be put into your lap. For with the measure you use it will be measured back to you.”

39 He also told them a parable: “Can a blind man lead a blind man? Will they not both fall into a pit? 40 A disciple is not above his teacher, but everyone when he is fully trained will be like his teacher. 41 Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? 42 How can you say to your brother, ‘Brother, let me take out the speck that is in your eye,’ when you yourself do not see the log that is in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take out the speck that is in your brother's "

July 18, 2010 at 2:09 am | Report abuse |
    • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

Someone like her would only want some one that is as smart as she is!!! What I see that lets you out...

July 19, 2010 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

Is that why they treat their woman like dirt and their sons like GODS???

July 19, 2010 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  77. bozo

Well.. that's just F*king great.. you make her a poster child for all the Jihadi's in the world.. How completely irresponsible.. you just signed her death warrant! This publicity does not help her efforts, it only impacts her life span

July 15, 2010 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bubba

Publicity? Like Bozo, she is a tv star. I think they probably know about her already, especially since she's been to America recently . . .

July 19, 2010 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Henry Miller

I can't adequately express my admiration for Ms Jamalzadah–and her courage. Afghanistan needs her, and many more like her.

July 15, 2010 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scott

I absolutely agree. Good for her to use her celebrity to try help her country. She could be living in Canada where she is safe making a fortune for herself, but returns to a country under extreme stress to try to help her people...this is real courage and love for ones people!

July 15, 2010 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • TTT-KT

But we definitely don't need your comments on this...go use your hand alone.

July 15, 2010 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Mariah

Afghan Woman and many middle eastern woman are beautiful and exotic...dont look at the pictures you see on news, those poor woman have aged so much because of the 30 years of war they have been in....and yes arab woman behind the burqas are very exotic looking...maybe thats why their husbands want them behind the veil haha...but i wouldnt say all of them are hot lol...i guess every nation has their share of good looking and bad looking ppl...but this chick is pretty...

July 15, 2010 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Angelina

Good point Mariah, I didn't even think about how stress ages us.

July 15, 2010 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

I hate to tell you but Afghanistan is a Asian Country!!! If you ever looked at a map you would know that...

July 19, 2010 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Big B

She's a very beautiful person. Too bad there aren't more like her in Afganistan. Hopefully, she won't get assaninated by some fanatic extremist.

July 15, 2010 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Angelina

Atia Abawi from CNN is Afghan and stunning.

July 15, 2010 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mustafa

Yes, Atia Abawi is also Afghan and beautiful. It is certainly too bad that fundamentalism has spread throughout the world and has oppressed women so much. Afghanistan in the 1960s and 70s was like the West. Men and women went to Univeristy together, females wore skirts and showed skin, etc.

July 15, 2010 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • TTT-KT

How you look lik e...plain ugly or what?

July 15, 2010 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
  82. jack

wow, she's pretty. I didn't know they had any attractive Arab women. If they all look like that under that ninja outfit they all wear, hey count me in baby.

July 15, 2010 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Frishta

Afghans are not Arab. Afghans are.....Afghan, lol! An attractive Arab woman would be Paula Abdul.....or Queen Rania!!! Ralph Nader is Arab too.

July 15, 2010 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
      • Anne

Paula Abdul is JEWISH (100%), not Arab, you idiot.

July 17, 2010 at 8:09 am | Report abuse |
    • ispeakforislam

thank you jack for being the typical idiot everyone stereotypes americans to be.

July 15, 2010 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  83. tma

Oprah, watch and learn. This is making REAL difference.

July 15, 2010 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
  84. tricia

In the last quote it should be "they're" not "their". Her quote was misspelled by the interviewer/writer.

July 15, 2010 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jamie

OMG........How dare they MAKE A MISTAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!! Off with their headssssssss!!!!!!!

July 15, 2010 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
      • Fronzo

It is supposed to be professional journalism. That kind of mistake is inexcusable and annoying, it needs to be pointed out so it can be corrected.

July 15, 2010 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

Tricia,
      Just what entry are you referring to that is grammatically incorrect?

July 15, 2010 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
      • Ren

John, I believe she was referring to ""They've never had the chance to grow or evolve and their dying to.""

"their" should have been "they're" as in "they are dying to".

July 15, 2010 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  85. Dude from Chicago

The irony is that Afghan women are beautiful and exotic and yet they are forced to cover themselves with hideous wardrobe. I guess Afghan man realized its better off keeping them covered so no one takes them.

July 15, 2010 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Frishta

They are not forced. I went to Afghanistan a few years ago...women have to dress modest and cover their hair. But wearing a burqa is optional.

July 15, 2010 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • You

just shut up. please...just this one time shut up.

July 15, 2010 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • TTT-KT

The irony is you are plain stupid. You want to make love to an afghan man? Let me know.

July 15, 2010 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

Will You People please tell me what this conversation how beautiful she is has to do with what is going on in Afghanistan!!!

July 19, 2010 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
      • DKJ

that is their low mentality showing through.

July 20, 2010 at 1:47 am | Report abuse |
  86. bridgmjm

Press 1 for English

July 15, 2010 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Frishta

Press 2 for Persian. Press 3 for Pashto. Press 4 for Uzbaki.

July 15, 2010 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Nate from Atlanta

She's smokin' hot! Wow!

July 15, 2010 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Soooo

You like her since you are in Atlanta...so many stupid people there

July 15, 2010 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Frishta

Mubarak basha Mozhdah jaan. Iftikhar mekonem!

July 15, 2010 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • awesomo

Yup, what they said

July 15, 2010 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
      • Fred

She said congrats, we are proud of you in Farsi (Afghan dialect of it).

July 15, 2010 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe

What.

July 17, 2010 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  89. Angelina

Afghan women are sooo beautiful!!!!!!

July 15, 2010 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Nique_mil

I like the men even better!

July 15, 2010 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
      • Sayed Hashemi

Hey hey, just find me in DC then :)

July 15, 2010 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
      • Nique_mil

Nope. But I can appreciate beauty when I see. Besides, I'm sure those men would hate me just by looking at me. I'm an ultra liberal from Rio de Janeiro. I'd be shot even before I could have opened my mouth!

July 15, 2010 at 10:28 pm | Report abuse |
      • AasteenKaChotia

Nique_mil, you wanna call me then? We can go to Afghanistan and have a vacation there...just you and me!!!

July 16, 2010 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Randy

I'm glad that you think Afghan women are pretty. I spent two and half years there. You'd never she another girl looking like her on the streets. The environment doesn't allow for natural beautiful women. By the way, Afghanistan is still full of men who are self-centered and chauvinist. With oppressed women being still the norm, Mozhdah has a long lonely road ahead.

July 15, 2010 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
      • Afghan Woman

What did you expect Randy??? those women live in fear, stress and war...most of them have lost loved ones...they have no future, no hope, no rights...you still want them to look hot for you??? What an ignorant person!!!

July 15, 2010 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
      • Salman

Randy, those poor girls in Afghanistan can't afford cosmetic products like women in West. They are busy looking after their family – yes no day-care there.

July 15, 2010 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
      • Shut-up

Is she your daughter? I can marry her and confine her to my HARAM only where you pervert won't be allowed.

July 15, 2010 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
  90. An Afghan

I am sooo proud of her, and so surprised! I knew about her pop music career, but thought nothing more. You know, another pretty face with dreams of fame and fortune. And she is defying ALL expectations - not just raising funds, but actually LIVING in Afghanistan and working on SOCIAL CHANGE! This woman is truly an inspiration, role model, and an hero of our community. Bravo, Mozhdah jaan!! <3

July 15, 2010 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
    • Jason B.

Kudos as well to her parents for helping her to not forget her home country. They've raised one heck of a good kid.

July 15, 2010 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
      • YoYo

God bless you and your family for making a difference! Now this is a story!

July 15, 2010 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
      • Shut-up

Shut the --up and just watch her.

July 15, 2010 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • slowpace

Is she your wife damn it! I want to slap you for letting out and dance in front of AIDS patients.

July 15, 2010 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |
  91. Amanda

Beautiful Afghan people.

July 15, 2010 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
  92. James

Afghan Oprah is 1000x hotter than Oprah :D

July 15, 2010 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
    • Connie

Wow...I'm happy to hear you feel that way. I would worry if you didn't....

July 15, 2010 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
    • Richard

No kiddng. Probably a more genuine person too.

July 15, 2010 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • NSL

Very true. lol. But U.S. Oprah has the $

July 15, 2010 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

If You People can't talk about the subject and have to talk about how some one looks??? You shouldn't say anything at all!!! Because it is boring...

July 19, 2010 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
  93. Vic

Lets hope some fanatical idiot doesn't decide to assassinate her for being controversial...

July 15, 2010 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
    • Bill D.

or kidnap her for being hot...

July 15, 2010 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
      • Pavan

I am off to aghanistan to rescue one of these pretty girls :)

July 15, 2010 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
      • yummy

Have some respect for your sister, man!!!!

July 15, 2010 at 8:29 pm | Report abuse |
      • yummy

Pavan, get a iron snicker before you leave for afghanistan...your mom said they were BIG in their loose paints!!!!!

July 15, 2010 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
      • Mezyrqzy

You are not man enough to kidnap her...you are just an internet tarzan...

July 15, 2010 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • marcm057

Good for her but on the negative note i give her 1-2 months before the Taliban blow her up-shoot her head off- or a public beheading by the Taliban, either way shes pretty much dead meat, sorry but they will ship her bullet ridden body back in Canada very shortly.

it's nice to want to help but in her case it is straight up suicide.

July 15, 2010 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
      • Stu

But it's not just the Taliban that would kill her for her outspoken views. You never want to generalize, but CNN reported that 90% of all marriages in Afghanistan see some level of physical abuse by the husband against the wife. The male population in general will not want to see this type of woman getting attention by the female population.

July 15, 2010 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
      • Billy 123

um even on the internet a little restraint couldn't hurt...she may read that...and I think that a touch less fatalism may help...as dire as things are there.

July 15, 2010 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
      • Salam

Both you and CNN lying. Please don't talk on my behalf. I am from Afghanistan and I love my wife and never even yield on her nor any of my family that I know. So, don't generalize and don't lie. Good and bad people exist everywhere. In the US some husbands kill their pregnant wifes and we don't generalize that all Americans are like that. Both you and CNN leave us alone so we could live like normal.

July 15, 2010 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
      • Salam

To Stu,

July 15, 2010 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse |
      • Ron

To Salam: Don't worry too much Salam, I may be Canadian, but most of us know Afghans are not all like that. Its just a certain segment of ignorant Americans that really need to get more education... better yet get them some more worldly exposure! America has got to be the most isolated "open" country there is on the planet these days..... sure American's "hear" things, but normally they only hear their own side and no one elses. Thats if CNN even prints the other side of the arguments! There is good and bad everywhere.... and no one is "best".

July 17, 2010 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
      • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

Nothing like saying bad things to happen to her!!! You People are really sick in the head to even joke about it...

July 19, 2010 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Karen

what did she look like before the nose job? all Arab women have nose jobs now

July 15, 2010 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
      • kb

she is not Arab sorry .. It says she is Afghan

July 15, 2010 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
      • Fu

same thing

July 15, 2010 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
      • NSL

Aghans are not arabs; they speak Persian (Dari) and Pashto not arabic.

July 15, 2010 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
      • Julius

Typical ignorant comment.

July 15, 2010 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
      • tma

confirmed: you're ignorant

July 15, 2010 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
      • Fred

Gee isnt that what Hitler said about jews' noses? Where did you get your bigotted generalization from? And what does her nose job have to do with anything? All western women get boob jobs, did you?

July 15, 2010 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
      • Salam

you are a bone head

July 15, 2010 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse |
      • Look-who's talking

Karen, nose job is better than your other job down there.

July 15, 2010 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse |
      • Kathy

Did you want to compare it with yours?

July 15, 2010 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse |
      • Bubba

Karen, she looked just like you do now . . .

July 19, 2010 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
      • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

Ron: Don't you know these People hate African Americans so much that they Pray nothing but bad things to happen to them!!! What more can you expect from a Racist???

July 19, 2010 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
      • Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

KB: How do you expect Fu to know the difference??? He doesn't even know who the Enemy is!!! He probably thinks the Muslin are Our Friends!!!

July 19, 2010 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
      • Tigresse

She's not "Arab"; she's Afghan. Do some reading about their history and cutlure...one of the most ancient in Asia. They are closer in language and race to their Iranian brothers and sisters, who also are NOT Arab!

July 21, 2010 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse |
  94. Larry Valecia, Calif.US Army Forever...

You are one sick person to say that on here!!!

July 19, 2010 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
  95. aukala

I'm sorry..........did they just claim to be muslims? and they really weren't? I don't think so.

Not all muslims are murderers, I'm talking about those that highjacked the planes.......are you disputing that?

July 19, 2010 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse |