July 5th, 2010

Vermont soldier dies in Afghanistan bombing

A 25-year-old soldier from Vermont was killed in a bomb attack in Afghanistan, the Vermont National Guard said Saturday night.

Spc. Ryan J. Grady of West Burke died early Friday morning after his military vehicle struck a roadside bomb near the Bagram Air Base, the National Guard said.

Home and Away: Iraq and Afghanistan War Casualties

"Specialist Grady has made the ultimate sacrifice on behalf of a nation that he both loved and served as a member of the Vermont Army National Guard," said Maj. Gen. Michael Dubie, Vermont Adjutant General.

Grady served as a combat engineer with Company A (Eng) Special Troops Battalion located in Bradford, Vermont.

He joined the U.S. Army in 2003 and took part in military operations in Iraq from February 2005 through January 2006.

He was given the Purple Heart for injuries he suffered during Operation Iraqi Freedom, the National Guard said.

Read the full story

Filed under: Daily Developments • Troops
  1. Mari,

My heart goes out to the family,of the soldier,I am so sorry,for your loss,I truely am, He's with God,now,In a better place,All soldiers go to Heaven,Only God knows,why these things happen,I will keep all the family in my prayers,And i pray that this war stops soon,So our Soldiers can come home, I am engaged,to a Sgt,Thats in Afghanistan right now,And hes on missions at least,5 times a week, And i worry so much everyday,so that god protects him,I need him home,we have 4 children,there ages are 19yr daughter,17yr daughter,11yr son, 9yr daughter,everyone prayer, is very powerful,if you got faith in God, God hears us...And please dont blame the military,if your love one passes away, I love our military,for all the hard work you do for us!!!! Have a blessed Day

July 11, 2010 at 1:28 am | Report abuse |
    • Cyndie

Mari,
      THANK YOU for your post. My heart goes out to the family of this soldier as well I can't not even imagine the pain they are going through. My husband is in the NG in Afghanistan and goes on several missions a month. When hes out on one, I worry so much its almost unbearable. My faith and prayers have kept me going too. I have a 18 yr daughter and a 9 yr old son. We have to stay strong for them I will keep your fiance and all our soldiers in my prayers everyday till they all come home.

July 11, 2010 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Timothy

It's nice how you are all degrading Grady's death. Unless you're from a community, and are friends with people who knew this man well, you can demean him all you want.

But you'll get a Vermont surprise.

Love live the NEK.

July 10, 2010 at 12:34 am | Report abuse |
  3. parker666

it don't matter why he died it matters that he died honorable. He died for a cause that he obviously thought was fit to fight for or else he wouldn't of volunteered. I'm currently enlisted in the military feel sorry for his loved ones but dont' blame it on the military. All soldiers know what might happen and we all hope to god it doesn't happen and we make it through. We choose to join there is no draft to get the unwilling in so just feel remorse for his loved ones and hope this war ends soon. But i do not know any soldier who is not willing to put their life on the line for the cause of the country

July 7, 2010 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  4. naser

another american died for the interests of american rich lobbies.

July 7, 2010 at 12:24 am | Report abuse |
    • Jerry

You said it all,naser!

July 7, 2010 at 1:10 am | Report abuse |
  5. Momofason

hmmmm. I guess 9/11 never happened and over 3,000 of our citizens were not killed. The terrorist wackos just don't want anyone to enjoy any type of freedom. If we don't defend our beliefs, then "they" win. Not gonna happen.

July 7, 2010 at 12:24 am | Report abuse |
  6. buffy82

I am so sorry to hear about your loss!! My prayers are with this family in this heart breaking time! I can NOT imagine the pain they are going thru right now!! Please know that my family and I are thankful for his service in fighting for our freedom here at home!

July 6, 2010 at 5:38 am | Report abuse |
    • Daniel-2

But are the right-wing thugs in Washington equally sorry?I suppose not.For them he was just another number in their quest to build an invisible empire in the Middle East.

July 6, 2010 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
      • Bledsoe

How right you are,Daniel!

July 6, 2010 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Momofason

It's not the military who killed this soldier, but the cowardly insurgents who don't care who they blow up. Seriously, they kill and maim eah other as flippantly as we kill flies.

July 5, 2010 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Onesmallvoice

I only hope that these right-freaks don't try to make a joke out of this,too.

July 5, 2010 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  9. BUBBA--ALABAMA STYLE!!!

Another life given for MIC (the military-industrial-complex).

July 5, 2010 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |