June 17th, 2010

Karzai meets with Japanese leaders

Afghan President Hamid Karzai is on a five-day visit to Japan, where he met Japanese Prime Minister Naoto Kan, right in photo above, and other Japanese leaders about aid and investment for Afghanistan. Karzai also met with Japanese Emperor Akihito at the Imperial Palace in Tokyo on Thursday. Last November, Japan announced it would provide approximately $5 billion over the next five years to Afghanistan and has been one of the largest donors to Afghanistan.

Filed under: Karzai
  1. neguys

Obamas Afghan strategy is a failure – USA out of Afghanistan NOW !!! we have more things to worry about.....in 10 years it will be like we were never there......look at the history of the country....

June 20, 2010 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
  2. real man

i am more concerned about those animals living on the sea of the gulf coast

June 20, 2010 at 1:38 am | Report abuse |
  3. Blah Blah Blah

Sharon is right. Our country is in a stage of crisis. This gulf oil disaster should not be ignored. I understand that Afghanistan is having problems, but i think that its time we stop trying to take care of the entire world. The gulf coast communities will be devastated by this oil spill. Tourism, fishing industries are RUINED for decades. Its bad enough that our economy is in the toilet. Im sorry but i am sick of spending my tax dollars trying to deal with a bunch of religious fundamentalists. You cant win a war against mentality. Sure send money to help peoples daily lives, with medicine and supplies, but missiles are expensive and dont do much damage to an intangible object like religious fundamentalism. We need to focus on what really matters, and right now as an American, i care about AMERICA. Im sick of seeing people lose their homes, or people busting their asses in college just to end up working as a server at a restaurant. Our military has been in Afghanistan for almost 10 years! Whatever the "mission" is, ITS NOT WORKING.

June 18, 2010 at 7:07 am | Report abuse |
    • CP

BLAH you don't know or understand why we are in Afghanistan. How about the attack on our homeland in 2001 or the treatment Afgani women had to endure? You are the type of person that would allow an attack on our country and women to were burkas and be stoned and beatin for the dumbest of things. I' am in the U.S. Military, and I for one will not stand for it. I was in high school in Sept. 2001 and from that horrible day forward I vowed as long as I am able I will defend my home my family and idiots like you. Yes we have issue at home. People are loosing there homes and jobs but look at it this way. Whould you and many other have a home or even the right to make your voice heard if it was not for the people like those of us in the military. Would those families in Afganistan and Iraq be able to vote and have the right to choose what is right for them if we werent there? You say it's not working. Tell that to those people who now are working to build there lives for the better. We as American's need to stop whining and stop expecting someone else to fix it and fix it ourselves. Nothing ever comes to those who wait. You have to go out and do it, go out and fix it stop crying.

June 19, 2010 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
      • Marine Queen

CP... I am with you there.. good answer to BLAH BLAH BLAH who really lives up to his or her name..
        I am not an American, my fiance' is and he's a US Marine serving in Afghanistan now.. Although I am not American I support and believe in what you are all doing, you are not just defending America, but the world's freedom. You are all HEROS
        God bless all and Keep you all safe.. you are always in my prayers
        SEMPER FI

June 20, 2010 at 7:20 am | Report abuse |
  4. Daniel-2

Is the lady in the back ground for Karzai's pleasure?

June 17, 2010 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Sharon Day

None of this matters...ONLY the GULF Ocean matters right now. People wise up! OPEN YOUR EYES! HELP YOURSELVES...this is your crises!

Where are the telethons For the Gulf?
    Come on politicians, pundits, CALLING ALL HUMANS??? LETS GET BUSY...the sharks, crabs, stingrays and all other manner of Ocean life are clinging to the docks.....CALL YOUR PEOPLE!!!

June 17, 2010 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • dsfs

June 17, 2010 at 7:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jaybob

I like animals as much as the next person, but the sharks can choke in comparison to the human lives being destroyed by the taliban.

June 17, 2010 at 11:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • pa19063

Because the world spent all of its money on Haiti – remember? This is the time of year when the celebreties are either on vacation or busy making movies or filming for the fall season. When they are done, I am sure they will have a telethon or concert of some kind to benefit the Gulf region. Or maybe they are waiting for a two for one deal if the oil reaches Haiti.

June 19, 2010 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Iraq Paramedic

I have read on these blogs for the longest as the naysayers & so called self rightous far left liberals say that the world is not behind this effort & that it is America & her anglo allies who just want this or that for personal gain & that is why we are ALL over in Afghanistan. Wrong people, I know it is probably hard for people like Daniel-2 & OnesmallVoice to believe but America & her allies truely care about the well fare of these people & the out come of this operation.
    May GOD bless & keep us all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 17, 2010 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
    • Jerry

Well put. Here's to a peaceful future for the people of Afghanistan without the influence of the taliban.

June 17, 2010 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
      • Onesmallvoice

Better yet,without the influence of NATO!!!

June 17, 2010 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |