June 17th, 2010

Afghan mines won't guarantee victory

A Pentagon estimate that Afghanistan is home to nearly a trillion dollars in sought-after minerals is good news, but it provides no assurance that the nation is on its way to peace and productivity, says analyst Fareed Zakaria.

Zakaria told CNN he is skeptical of the idea that you could "divide $1 trillion by the population of Afghanistan to reach the conclusion that every Afghan will be rich ... the history of natural resources and mineral wealth is that it produces enormous corruption and mismanagement, and very often the money does not go down to the average person."

Read the full Q&A with Fareed Zakaria

Post by:
Filed under: Voices • Your View
  1. Joe

This is a War on terrorism, If we want to do 'nation building" I think the Goverment and the people of that nation needs to be consulted, and listened to are we wanted in Afganistan? are we Wanted in Iraq? Do the people of the USA want to be in thease countrys spending money? That is what our President and senate and congress need to find out?

I do not think anybody has issues fighting terrorism, but nation building is something different. We can fight terrorism without the help of Iraq or Afganistan Armys or their Approval or other nations. But we must be of one mind and purpose on this no more should we throw money away to help nations that do not want it or us their.

If terrorism is origninating in their Nation and they let us in to get the organization more power to those countrys. But lets not push our values on them as our values change with the wind. and polls that I never been asked to participate in.
    And also the media with the biggest voice they give thir opinions rather than news Like Fox CNN etc Tell me what is going on I do not want to hear you try to shape opinion I want news and this War on terrorism is Correct and right on but this nation building is not in my opinion needed or relivent to the security of the USA.

We Have a Great Nation great people
    we need to pay off our depts
    keep at the forfront of technoligies
    Be product exporters like we used to be
    keep a strong Military
    get er done

June 27, 2010 at 8:03 am | Report abuse |
  2. Fahim

mineral can be fact or it can be a psycological operation for, getting out of afghanistan
    as an afghan i'm telling you mr obama, don't cheat afghans. revise your strategy and don't trust on Karzai. he is alqaid himself.

June 20, 2010 at 6:27 am | Report abuse |
  3. mickey24

Another thing...this 'mineral' find ?...If it has not gotten the best of us, surely our GREED will this time around, if we start to mine in Afghanistan.We are truly asking for HUGE trouble ! Yes, get out of Afghanistan.

June 18, 2010 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
  4. 7thseal

"I tell you the truth", Get out of Afghanistan. They're out of money and we need to take advantage of that opportunity NOW to do so. They WILL NOT survive. We need this money here. Some high official In America created this middle east hatred for the US Half hasn't been told and will never be told. If you read the Bible , it mentions people being "beheaded" I won't reveal what culture but figure out who was beheaded. Get your head out of your ***, this is NOT a joke! but the real World, not a fairy-tail.

June 17, 2010 at 9:35 am | Report abuse |
    • Onesmallvoice

You've said it all,7thseal.

June 17, 2010 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
      • Simcha Brewer

:The Golden Prophet:
        Current mood: Hopeful
        Category: Movies, TV, Celebrities

So...I've been sitting on this story in hopes of creating an end of the world screenplay for "The Producers" i've met along the way... While sitting with a friend hashing-out these ideas of how Armaggedon will actually come about, the News reports came to me via Google news. I had a feeling I'd hit the nail right on the head. Do I speak up and say what I invision to be true or sit back and let the course of history, just happen? I'm afraid the reality will come as the newscasters re-lie on word from the White House... I've heard the news... The largest mineral deposit, cash cow, ever found in the Middle East finally comes out during our war effort against the Taliban. The Afghan Goldmine- it may very well be the key to our future~ not in a good way~ our ultimate destruction. The END OF DAYS. Have you ever played with magnets as a child or Adult for that matter? Magnetic fields occur naturally all around us. Random I know, but would you expect anything less. Magnets play a key role in how the natural balance of how things work, planetarally. We see this when tides interact with the moons gravitiational pull in addition natural distasters also claim so many due to converging and diverging tectonic plates, these plates are magnetic! A major mining operation will set off a chain of events causing eathquakes, volcanos, and yes even large scale tidal waves- similar to the magnitude of what we have seen in recent years. Its interesting how Nostradamus predicted the fall of the 'Brothers of York' and thus would set off a chain of events that would change the world as we know it. Myans calender in conjunction ends in the year 2012. With natural resources running scarce in abundance, population on the rise, we see companies desperatley trying to acquire new lands to drill & mine. Lithium, Gold, Copper- What are the magnetic causalities of removing these derivatives from the Earth? Our Earth. I believe them to be catastrophic unlike anything of which the planet has ever seen before. The END. Why do I believe this to be the case? Because I'm no scientist~ I'm just a big movie fan whos watched almost every 'end of the world' film that has been produced in Hollywood. And with the messages being spun day after day, week after week, we continue to see the message becoming clearer & clearer. That our need for a sustainable future will utimately cause our demise. Poetic right, darling? These prescious commodities have been protected by these insurgants for a damn good reason. My soultion, find a way to remove these magnetic natural resources and replace them with equally magnetic, less expensive metals, so to advert this global disaster. I got the idea from another film, Indiana Jones. When Harrison Ford replaces the sacred artifact with a bag of sand in equal weight . Although, did this work? Or did this only create a delay in the events to come. Its a start...

June 28, 2010 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |