June 9th, 2010

Chopper downed by hostile fire; 4 Americans killed

Four Americans and a Briton were killed in southern Afghanistan on Wednesday, military officials said.

The four U.S. service members were killed when their helicopter was downed by hostile fire in Helmand province, said International Security Assistance Force spokesman Lt. Col. Joseph T. Breasseale.

The British soldier was killed in an explosion, also in Helmand province, the British Ministry of Defence said.

June is turning into a deadly month for international forces in Afghanistan - 29 service members, including 19 Americans, have been killed, bringing the American death toll in Afghanistan to more than 1,000, according to CNN's calculations.

"It's been a tough week," said Pentagon spokesman Bryan Whitman. "Our operational tempo is at an all-time high. We try to do everything to prevent casualties, but we have active operations and more forces there than ever in the past."

Home and Away: Iraq and Afghanistan War Casualties

1. J9

These two men lived up to their motto all the way to the end pulled the pilot and gunner to safety and passed from the injuries they sustained while performing first aid. So others may live... I am in awe of these Green Foots they are the true meaniing of HEROES! God Bless You and Comfort Your Families, Loved Ones, and Squadron!!

June 13, 2010 at 4:00 am | Report abuse |
  2. Cori

You all need to remember that there is not one American, not even the president, that put us at war. People who are involved in terrorism put us in the situation we are in today. They have nothing better to do than to terrorize people. Nobody likes it. But us Americans ignored it way to long. And it's not the President that puts our guys out there, it's the Generals who put our guys out there. It's their job. They are not elected officials. Thank goodness. We now have men and women that have signed up to do their job. They are good at what they do. They have not been drafted and don't want to be there. We don't ever want a draft again because the drafties don't do their jobs. The military personel who are out there are doing a marvelous job.. We have a son who is serving and one of his fellow marines was killed yesterday. This marine made the ultimate sacrifice. I find it of great disrespect for anyone to say otherwise. This is the time for us to reflect on being thankful for being an American. And praying for the families who have lost a loved one. And for continued prayers for our military's safe return. It's also a time for us to pray for our Country to keep it safe because we have alot of terrorist here, to. I'm proud of my heritage.... of those in my family that have served and who continue to serve this Great Nation under God. This is His country.

June 11, 2010 at 2:15 am | Report abuse |
  3. A necessary negation.

Perhaps you didn't see what he said, Daniel-2, but what Ruslan said was hardly an opinion. It's downright insulting to talk in such a manner about the men and women who uphold your right to-

Oh, who am I kidding. I'm talking to a lunatic who makes a living of hanging around CNN comments section and feeding his obsession with "right-wing thugs" and the noble, courageous Taliban.

June 11, 2010 at 12:22 am | Report abuse |
  4. Lo

This is beyond political now. Stop making it so. My friend just died in combat, and you guys are fighting over STUPID politics.

June 10, 2010 at 10:08 pm | Report abuse |
  5. rob brander

hey folks great to see your all getting along,like a newborn child left alone with a hungry pitbull. loss of lives and your all bickering like a bunch of old ladies at a bridge game

June 10, 2010 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse |
  6. badass

wow everyone who wants to pull out is a freakin idiot. this is how countries think they step all over us. ever since vietnam people have cried for withdraws! but i don't care if it takes til 2020! we need to finish what we started! hell il join the freakin army!

June 10, 2010 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
  7. db

This article is about fallen heroes, not a political debate. These men were from my squadron, please honor their memory.

June 10, 2010 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  8. SoThatOthersMayLIve

First of all, I find it appalling that so much hate, disrespect and stupidity is what floods the posts under an article regarding fallen members of the military.

My heart goes out to those that were involved and their families.

Its a shame that my husband, and rescue family serve in a country where not only are the freedoms that they sweat, suffer, bleed and die for in order for all of us to have the rights to enjoy them day in and day out are abused in such a way. Its such an embarrassment.

June 10, 2010 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  9. carlos

June 10, 2010 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Ryan

They just hung a 7 year old kid. I am so glad we are there. This is why we fight. We defend those who can't defend themselves, we bring freedom to those who live in a world of fear and oppression, and we try to preserve innocent lives who would otherwise be hung for their religion or tortured for their political party. Americans need to stop being so selfish and realize that we are so lucky to live here, and if another country or people need our help, we should be the first ones to offer them a hand.

June 10, 2010 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  11. DB

My condolences n. May God bless America and those who defend her. (I clicked report abuse under your name by mistake – sorry).

June 10, 2010 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  12. alice

i actually knew this group of brave men who went down. its a shame you have to sit here and write blame when there is family and friends grieving the death from this story. grow up. these men died doing their job and what they loved. so why dont you all just grow up and appriciate the fact that these men gave up their lives fighting for you and stop pointing fingers.

June 10, 2010 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  13. andy

the helicopter shot down and the people killed our from my unit. i am actually a helicopter mechanic, who is just now returning from afghanistan. the mission we are doing out there is in support of army medevac, we have saved alot of lives, american, british, afghan army and police, afghan cilvilians and even taliban. God bless those who were killed, and the others injured, and God bless their families.

June 10, 2010 at 7:25 am | Report abuse |
  14. Petre Pike

What is happening with you NICK ? I couldn't recognize it was NICK ROBENSON reporting from that bomb-cake marriage. Could it be that Afghanistan is turning is turning you to a taliban keeping all those beards. Clean up so that i can enjoying your reports.

June 10, 2010 at 3:33 am | Report abuse |
  15. Ememy of the invadors

Afghanistan is the grave for american impereraialism

June 10, 2010 at 3:22 am | Report abuse |
  16. .

That others may live...

June 10, 2010 at 3:02 am | Report abuse |
    • alice

its an amazing career feild and they were amazing men

June 10, 2010 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Pashtoon

Hey Gary, you mean the empire of dead bodies of the soldiers, yes we can help you; we are here to build such empires and we have made such empires five times and if you dont know ask Russian and British. 17000 British solderis were killed in early 20th century. Afghanistan is the graveyard of impires and the birthplace of empires.
    Welcome we will make it

June 10, 2010 at 12:35 am | Report abuse |
  18. Kandahar

Hey Gary Gohndro, you mean the empire of death soldiers, yes we r here and we dont miss that. we will build it by any cost if our wedding cermonies are being bombard. we are helping you to build such empire thats a great task do it American politicians.

June 10, 2010 at 12:32 am | Report abuse |
    • fisterwife

We didn't bomb your wedding ceremony. You did that yourself.

June 10, 2010 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
  19. A wife

RIP you 4... your smiles, your laugh, your personalities will be missed... That others may live...

June 9, 2010 at 11:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • afsgt

amen that others may live

June 10, 2010 at 12:47 am | Report abuse |
    • AF Capt

We are with the families of the fallen. Lt we loved your spirit and inspiration we will always be in debt to Kat. So others may live-HUA.

June 10, 2010 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  20. RSAT4

I am saying it once more. fighting will not solve anything but blood shad. Theirs a short and easier of dealing this. Seat down and talk, if one part need to compromise let be it. we are tired of seeing people dying everyday. american please consult with South african I belief you can learn one thing or two.

June 9, 2010 at 10:41 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Joe

i knew one of the young men killed; grew up with him. Be respectful, please. These were people with friends and family just like you. They weren't just soldiers but people who lived real lives.

June 9, 2010 at 10:17 pm | Report abuse |
  22. cindyhooke

SEMPER FI !!!

June 9, 2010 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse |
  23. cindyhooke

My husband is over there fighing for all of you. Even if we dont agree with this war are loved ones are over there, we all need to treat others the way we would want others to treat us.

June 9, 2010 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Gary Johndro

We ought to make these guys pay for shooting down that helicoptor.

June 9, 2010 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Army wife

My husband is currently serving near Kandahar. Every day that there are attacks it gets harder to wait for the phone call telling me his is ok. The last thing I would want to do is find out my husband was killed on CNN.

June 9, 2010 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • AF wife

I heard you on this, my heart goes out to the families. I actually have friends who know or work with these people. I can't imgaine the pain of their loss. The death of a person is not just a number to families, it's a loss of a father/mother, spouse to a family.

June 10, 2010 at 3:08 am | Report abuse |
    • mother wella

I am a mother of an american soldier serving in Aganistan..My daughter-in-law and I talk every night on the phone to support each other thru this 3rd deployment..he has four kids..and we all get nervous when we havent heard from our soldier in a while and then hear a news story like this break....We have to just support each other until she hears from him once more..My heart just aches for these families

June 10, 2010 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
  26. bailoutsos

But let's keep fueling the fire -- Haaretz reported, during George Bush’s last year in office his administration sold, to the Saudis, F-15s, advanced anti-ship missiles, smart bombs, and other weapons similar to what the Israeli army controls in violation of an agreement with Israel.

June 9, 2010 at 7:21 pm | Report abuse |
  27. sue

More details are not available in this article because the families deserve to be notified first. Yes, the reality is that the region is increasingly dangerous. I, too am the sister of a military officer who has just returned safely from the Middle East. I am thankful each day that he is okay and saddened by the losses he has endured as a result of this war. Politics aside, this is a heartbreaking tragedy for the families and the other members of that particular military unit. Well, it is a tragedy for all those who mourn their losses due to this war.
    Rest in peace.

June 9, 2010 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Vanessa

Wow its amazing out ignorant people are i am currently deployed and i have a good friend that just lift where I am to go to afghan and he is located in the area where the attack happen. He is out there right now for americans who aren't apart of the military and i don't appreciate immature ignorant comments about us military.

June 9, 2010 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • khristina

thank you ....it is very hurtful to the families of those who have loved one's over there my brother was in that unit we don't have all the details yet ...but we know that they are sending 4 american's home even though my brother is not one of them we still don't know if he is hurt or what so we are just waiting.

June 9, 2010 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
      • Marine Queen

Khristina,
        I am sorry to hear about your brother, thank God that he has been spared.. My Fiance is deployed in Afghanistan.. so I live in constant fear too, everytime I hear something's happened.. the worst is not knowing.
        My heart goes out to the families of the other 4 who lost their lives for our freedom... May God give them courage to bear their loss...
        May God watch over these selfless men and women who are there to protect us, Keep them safe and Bless them.
        SEMPER FI

June 9, 2010 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  29. RSAT4

I dont like seeing people dying whether American or taliban because theirs anotherway of dealing with Taliban instead of killing each other. Seat down and talk with Taliban and find out their problem. I believe a solution can be found. This fighting will not solve anything instead blood shading will continue.

June 9, 2010 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jaybob

I think we tried that, and they attacked the peace meeting. It's on this part of the site somewhere.

I think the more of those Taliban vermin we send to Allah, the better. They took down a US Helicopter, and this is sad. What is even sadder is that for all we know it was a medevac helicopter.

Nice shooting, Taliban. If you want things to fall out of the sky... we have plenty of little things to drop on you. All you have to do is ask.

June 9, 2010 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lo

The exact solution is to get rid of them. Plain and simple. You would agree too if you friend or family member is over there and has been killed, injured, or just has to witness the day to day horrors they do.

June 10, 2010 at 11:12 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Antonio

Mich you are the devil. I served in this war and many of my friends and conrad were killed or wounded. I think about these men and women very day in harms way and pray they are safe and thank them for protecting AMERICA. Can you amagin if the war was on our soil.

June 9, 2010 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Dianne -- Connecticut

MICH and RUSIAN
    You two morons should get a room!!

June 9, 2010 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  32. BUBBA -- ALABAMA STYLE!!!

mich
    A jerk you are. Your only having fun because nobody knows who you are but sooner or later you'll make some comment if front of a Marine in civilian clothes and you will get what's coming!!

June 9, 2010 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gary Johndro

I guess that'll hurt!

June 9, 2010 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Kasee

Need more info here – type of hellicopter, where were the crew members from (bases etc), what were their ranks, etc. Pls put family members of helli crews out of their misery with as much as info as you have.

June 9, 2010 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • JR

What kind of jerk are you. The names of those recently killed in action are not given to the public out of respect for the families. I would not want to read about my son, daughter, father, etc. being killed in action from CNN. The military has a protocol with sympathy and dignity for telling families of those killed in action. Why don't you join the marines. They make men and women. I'm sure there is a recruiter in your hometown.

June 9, 2010 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
      • drw

THANK YOU! Well said...

June 9, 2010 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse |
      • Kasee

If you'll notice, jerkwad, I am not asking for names. I am asking for rank, type of helicopter, etc. As A FAMILY MEMBER OF SOMEONE CURRENTLY DEPLOYED TO AFGHANISTAN I know how LITTLE information is available to us as events unfold. I do not trust that I will get information from the military faster than CNN has it. The more information that can be given, the more people can breathe a sigh of relief that it's not their loved one killed in an event like this. I am not asking for names. SO SCREW YOU. As for your suggestion that I join the marines, I would never join the military b/c I don't believe in this sham of a "war" but I do support our troops, including my family member who I can only hope and pray is OK since no information is forthcoming from over there. And again I say, SCREW YOU.

June 9, 2010 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
      • Michele

Hey Jr You ASS... My boyfriend and the father of my child is out there and they don't notify us. They notify his parents first and since we don't get along... well chances are I will hear about it on CNN before I hear about it from a suit. Oh and I just finished a 20 year commitment so before you have anything non constructive to say, pick up a weapon and stand a post, otherwise shut up!!!!

June 9, 2010 at 7:58 pm | Report abuse |
      • Kasee

Michele I hope your boyfriend is ok.

June 9, 2010 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
      • Kate

Well spoken JR! You win the gold star of the day! Thank god someone on here has some common sense instead of only looking for blood and guts! I swear people have no sympathy for the families of these troops and it makes me sick! I swear to god I would love to slap these stupid people who lack something as simple as compassion right in their faces!

June 9, 2010 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
  34. khristina

May God have mercy on these stupid idiots on here that Call themselves Americans, my brother was part of that attack and survived I don't appreciate you being so hateful ,,I am almost positive that you are a LOOSEERRR who can't take your sorry ass over yourself ok so shut the hell you stupid idiots

June 9, 2010 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Azgirl

Thank your brother for his service. I hope that he is okay... physically and emotionally.

June 9, 2010 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lisa Ayers

Dear Khristina,

I am so sorry for your loss.

June 9, 2010 at 7:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • drw

Khristina,
      I am so sorry for you and your family. Rest assured most Americans deserve to live on our soil and actually have some grey matter resting between their ears.

June 9, 2010 at 7:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lennybaby

khristina,we need to stop this senseless war and let the Afghans have their country back.Hatred only begets more hatred while the right-wing politicians are using this war to their political ends.

June 9, 2010 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
      • q

u sound stupid when theres just gibberish coming out of your mouth. the US isn't "causing" a war.we're there to reclaim the country for the local national afghanies from the terrorists that force them to do there bidding at gunpoint. so to put it in stupid terms for you, "we're there to help the nice locals". its brave men and women like those mentioned above that give you the right to be retarded, that give you the right to sleep peacefully at night, and that bring home your brother, sister, father, mother, friend, co-worker, friend of a friend, or someone who you don't even know. "theses things we do, that others may live" is the creed these brave few men and women live by. whose sole mission in life, is to lay down their life for a mere stranger. so with all do respect, stfu and let us mourn our fallen brothers, wish the best for the wounded, and pray for their families.

June 11, 2010 at 3:47 am | Report abuse |
      • alice

maybe you shoudl read into what these men who died in this crash do.. they save lives.. soliders and afghani civilains alike.. my husband and all pjs for that matter are amazing men and you would be so lucky to be HALF the person they are.. so before you go all anti-war on someone who just had the most terrifying experiances, maybe you should look into what these amazing men do.

June 14, 2010 at 3:23 am | Report abuse |
    • Kate

I am so sorry Khristina. Your family is in my thoughts and prayers. I know that this is hard to swallow. It is very scary having someone that you care about over there, and being afraid to answer your phone or your door. I know, dear, I have been there several times. Just know that you will all get through this. You will have to pull together as a family and be strong for one another, and things will get better. God Bless!

June 9, 2010 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • alice

my husband is there with that unit as well.. its been a heartbreaking week in our small community.. these are the best and bravest men out there.. they did their job well and made the ultimate sacrifice, "that others may live"

June 14, 2010 at 3:20 am | Report abuse |
  35. lawyer2010

give a better report,what kind of helli.names,rank

June 9, 2010 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • drw

Let's notify the next of kin first! The men and/or women who died left family behind who'd just as soon not hear about their demise in the news because of your "need to know"...

June 9, 2010 at 7:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kate

Lawyer, I know this may be appalling to you, but the military notifies the families of the fallen troops prior to broadcasting their names over the news. The families of these troops are going to have enough to deal with without hearing it first on television. As a military spouse I would appreciate the same courtesy. Not to mention, they have to sort it out, and recover their helicopter before they worry about giving people like you all the gory details. My god, if it were one of yours, would you not like to find out through the proper channels? People like you make me sick, do you even consider what these families go through? Been there, and done that! Have you? Have you sat on pins and needles, scared to death every time your doorbell or telephone rings? Probably not, but I have, and guess what, I am getting ready to go through it all again for the 4th time, as the father of my two beautiful sons will be heading right back to Afghanistan within a couple of weeks.

June 9, 2010 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kate

So instead of spouting off about the poor reporting, show a little support for those who put their lives on the line to give you the right to be obnoxious! Besides that, they can't report details that have not been release to them yet! I sincerely hope that you have better tact in the courtroom!

June 9, 2010 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
  36. dirk

Flying around in Afganistan can be hazardous. Thank Bush.

June 9, 2010 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • 007

To all you peace lovers out there. Guess what...many of these Helicopter crews out there are actually there saving lives with only seconds to spare putting their lives on the line to save someone they don't know. They save Soldiers, Sailors, Marines, and Airmen. They also save those Afghans that the Taliban has punished because they fail to do what THEY tell them too. These people include children. Many helicopter crews are not warmongers...they are peace searchers looking to save as many lives as they can. These crews are galiant angels that have saved thousands...you know the ones the news fails to report on. Give the families the respect they deserve and keep your politically charged comments for a political story or your family and friends over the holidays while the rest of us serve our nation in combat trying to save as many as we can.

June 10, 2010 at 2:32 am | Report abuse |
  37. mich

Flying around in Afganistan can be hazardous. Thank Bush.

June 9, 2010 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • af7

you're dumb

June 9, 2010 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jason

Your an idiot. Who is the president you retard. Obama..And who sanctioned more troops? Obama. I am amazed you worthless coward liberals don't protest your great el presidente as more troops die. Why don't you sign up you wimp.

June 9, 2010 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse |
      • Kevin

Bush started the war. Obama said he would focus on the real war in Afghanistan the whole time he was campaigning. I'm pretty sure everyone that voted for him heard that. If not, goes to show how illogical Americans are with politics. Jumping on bandwagons. First, change. Now, TEA Party. Next, legalization of marijuana in Cal? This country is screwed.

June 9, 2010 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
      • Michele

Hey Jason you retard, who put us in this situation in the first place.... Bush. Who pulled our troops out of Afgha so he could have a d*** measuring contest with his dad.... BUSH. Who stood on an aircraft carrier and cried Victory.... bush... that moron put us in the pea soup we are in now, Obama has to clean it up.

June 9, 2010 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
      • Michele

OhBTW Jason, go back to watching cartoons and let the grownups talk now. Oh and put down the Bong and step away...

June 9, 2010 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
      • Lennybaby

Barack Obama great???Gimme a break,already!!!

June 9, 2010 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • 007

Actually I think that this is Clintons fault...He did fail to stop Bin Laden after he bombed the Twin Towers the FIRST TIME.

June 10, 2010 at 2:41 am | Report abuse |
    • Peace Maker

Look around of you, What the america want from the other peop's other than americans. Why are you still in Iraq and Afghanistan. Look the terrorist behaviour of israel. They killed 9 innocent Turk's. You sad just nothing. Are you the king of all world. Peace for all over world not just for america and england. All guns are made by you. THINK AGAIN.

June 10, 2010 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
    • DB

Unfortunatrly mich you've missed the point of the article. Four of America's finest human beings will not be coming home to their families. These men were members of a combat search and rescue unit. The motto is, "This we do, so that others may live". It ain't about politics – get your stuff squared away.

June 10, 2010 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
      • n

thanks db you are 100% correct, my good freind was in that crash. These guys really are the best and brightest. He must have been one of the best persons i've ever know.

June 10, 2010 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
      • V

Yes you are 100% correct. These men were search and rescue, America's absolute finest. green feet... "that others may live" one was a very dear friend of mine, "co-workers" of my husband. Please show respect for those lives lost, they truly were the best of the best and they made the ultimate sacrifice saving others, Americans and Afghani citizens alike.

June 10, 2010 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |