May 27th, 2010

Photo Spotlight: Firing a mortar

U.S. Army Sgt. Joshua Morris shoots a mortar round during a training and certification test at a combat outpost in Afghanistan.

Notice that you can actually see the round in the plume of fire and smoke. You can see the full sized image via the Department of Defense's website.

1. fuad

Props on the person that captured the shot. Sweet. Excellent focus and timing...

June 3, 2010 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  2. BUBBA ALABAMA STYLE

HAMED OR NOT,
    I'D STILL LIKE TO STOMP YOUR BUTT.

June 2, 2010 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
  3. BUBBA ALABAMA STYLE

HAMED,
    I WOULDN'T MIND TOSSING YOU IN THE HOGS PEN. THEY'D LOVE YOU!

June 2, 2010 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Daniel-2

STOP PICKING ON HAMED

June 2, 2010 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Army Arty Observer

The one poster is correct it's a 120mm heavy mortar fire support platform and I love it. As for the comments about the enemy hiding behind their own people it's true. However, there are Taliban that go toe to toe with the Army and the Marines. Not all of our enemy are cowards and they will die for their cause just like we would die for ours. If only the US citizens who have such a problem with what we are doing over here understood what type of restrictions that have been placed on us in order to protect the civilian population of Afghanistan. Our Warriors are doing the best they can to help the Afghans and the Afghan military is fighting for their freedom as well not just Americans and coalition forces. They love their country just as much as we love ours. That's what keeps me going is to see they care and want democracy and freedom for their people. Thanks to all of you that support of us. For those of you who do not it's a free country and you can do what you like. So don't you think the Afghans deserve the same rights?

June 2, 2010 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  6. ImNoExpert

I see ~20 people all feeding one troll who's comment has been deleted. Good job guys!

June 1, 2010 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
  7. faaiz Kaamil

One must not forget before commenting that the Soldiers, no matter which country they belong to, are in Afghanistan to provide peace and a breath of freedom to the Afghans.
    We do agree too that, whatever the strategy or the plans or the ill-motives or interests are, are of those who are the top level of decision making caucus. The soldiers fighting in Afghanistan or in Iraq are the real heroes who deserve respect and the fallen ones to be remembered, always in our hearts!

May 31, 2010 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Army Medic

Why is everyone getting so worked up at good old boy Hamed? I'll be in Afghanistan in 2 months hopefully I'll see you there buddy. I don't hide behind the cnn website so if you think marines, soldiers, airman, and sailors are cowards come stop by and see me in Afghanistan pal.

May 30, 2010 at 8:05 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Been There

That's a 120mm and ignorance is not his fault. The Media is dictating on what the people must believe in. Oh and FYI, I hate those Mortars. It shakes you down to your core and guaranteed hearing loss. I hope he's wearing ear plugs and that hoo-hah Soldier even manages to strike a pose. Good stuff and I hope their grids are accurate.

Semper Fi!

May 30, 2010 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Army Ranger

Hamed,
      You are the coward. I stand strong with my fellow marines. For you to bad mouth my soldiers. I would love to meet you and put you on your knees and make you lick my boots. We sacrifies our lives everyday for you to breath freedom. If I were you son I would shut the F*** up.

May 30, 2010 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Dragon

Hamed,
    To reiterate: if you do not like us, leave us. The Taliban would not be so tolerant of your taunts, but, on the other hand, would be supportive of your inability to comprehend basic English. Katie, you have been thoroughly indoctrinated by someone and need to be deprogrammed. Suicide bombers do not take prisoners; no one goes home after school.

May 29, 2010 at 1:24 am | Report abuse |