May 22nd, 2010

Four killed in Afghanistan attacks

Three international service members of NATO-led forces in Afghanistan died Saturday in two separate attacks that also killed a civilian working with the military.

Two members of the International Security Assistance Force and a civilian were killed in an insurgent attack in southern Afghanistan.

In a separate incident, a service member died in a bombing in the same area.

Their identities were being withheld until next of kin have been notified.

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. USAF Veteran

Khalil, To answer your question..... the US-NATO Forces won't be leaving Afghanistan until the Afghanistan Army and Police can keep the peace without our help......that is what we are there for.... To Help the Afghan people have the life they want... a peacefull life..... but to get there we have to use not only diplomatic means but military means.... Our US-NATO forces are risking their lives to ensure the Afghans have the peace they want..... now if the Afghans want this peace to happen sooner then they should NOT help the Taliban to continue to kill/bomb/mutilate the Afghan people. Again we are there to help.

May 24, 2010 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
  2. lori freitas santos

My nephew and god son is there right now and I think of him often-especially since I live in a group home of disabled vets. I hope they all stay safe and come back safe. America needs to get the back bone and support the troops as it did in WW's and Korea-Both my parents were in Korea. I am so pro-military and all it takes to be adaptable to the stress-levels of military. Fine people with cogent heads on shoulders. Yes, they can get a little skewed given the stress, but overall, they handle well. Have good frameworks and points of view for dealing with the bad guys. Ryan's letter is evidence of this. It is a job, and not many people are gifted to perform the job, but if you can, the benefits are rather awesome in the skill sets received which last a lifetime!

May 24, 2010 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Roy

6 US-NATO soldiers were killed in Kandahar, 5 wounded. Hayatullah, one of the Taliban on Thursday (May 20) carried out a car bomb attack on US-NATO forces in Daman district of Kandahar, killing at least 6 soldiers and wounding 5 more as the major operation Al-Fath is gaining momentum across the country. Witnesses said, a Corolla car coming very fast in the direction of a group of soldiers who were walking along the road and the car exploded as soon as it approached the soldiers.The area was cordoned off soon after the the car bomb attack, while the helicopter arrived on the scene to evacuate the dead and the injured.

39 US-NATO soldiers killed in Marjah amid operation al-Fath. A mine blast killed about 6 US soldiers in Marjah in the morning hours of May 20, 2010. In another incident elsewhere in Marjah, Taliban killed about 10 US-led soldiers in an ambush attack, seizing the abandoned weapons and ammo in the noon hours of Thursday.

In another news from Helmand province, a roadside bomb ripped through a group of some 20 US soldiers who gathered around a discovered mine as it exploded on them. While the other soldiers approached the scene to recover the dead they came under Taliban attack which caused further losses of live and injuries. The dead and wounded were evacuated by the US helicopters from the site.

Also Thursday, at least three US-NATO soldiers were killed with two others injured in a clash with the Taliban in Marjah.

May 24, 2010 at 4:04 am | Report abuse |
  4. Hometruth

Looks like the coalition and the people supporting it like us are going to hell. We are trying to impose our opinion on the Afghans aren't we? I like your lofty ideals but lets not forget we are in Afghanistan because we have a mandate from the citizens to do all it takes to keep us safe only. As before not many of us care if it destroys many Afghan families in the process.

May 23, 2010 at 10:50 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Dan in Lafayette,IN

I had spoken to God and he said that all the people who force their opinion upon any peoples will be judged and thrown into hell and as for NATO and the coalition they are in Afghanistan to give the people an opportunity to have their own opinions! And as for the Taliban they force, kill and maim their people to terrorize them to follow in their beliefs!

May 23, 2010 at 10:30 pm | Report abuse |
  6. prospero

As the Soviets were mentioned several times in this thread I would remind you one big difference between Soviet and US-lead invasion. Soviets really did much for the Afghan people. They build schools, hospitals, roads, infrastructure. Therefore, after their withdrawal Dr.Najibullah rulled for about three years! And how long your Kharzai will rule after your withdrawal?
    There is no other way to the heart of Afghan people but to help it economically and fight drug traffic. Fight drug traffic means extinguish opium fields while at the same time giving opportunity for Afghans to work and earn their living. Yes, yes, first of all BUILD, not shoot. There is no other way for peaceful life there.

May 23, 2010 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jay

@PROSPERO, the only country which is quietly building roads, hospitals and schools is India at this moment. Bollywood is also keeping the majority of the Afghans sane by giving them a chance to escape reality.

May 23, 2010 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse |
      • prospero

Exactly! To involve India in reconstruction of Afghanistan is perhaps the best solution. Anybody else is simply not enough real. This will cost money and effort, but there is no other option. Without economical alternative to drug economy you'll never separate Afghan people from Taliban. And Taliban united with Afghan people will sooner or later kick out occupation troops without any question.
        One more important factor is Russia. Russian government collaborates because it suppose that Coalition fights against drugs. If and when it will understand its' mistake, it will cease helping and shut its' space for delivery of Coalition's cargo.
        There will be only one very vulnerable way of shipping through Pakistan and Afghanistan, that will make EPIC FAIL much, much, much closer.

May 24, 2010 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Ken

CONSTANTINE~~~ you are completely insane. Ignorant....just plain ignorant. Everyone that read your comment is dumber now, thanks for spreading your stupid! It sickens me to think there are so many people in the world and more than our share in the USA that are so crazy. You Sir and all like you will be the cause of the end of days.

May 23, 2010 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Kathy

maybe it is on going did not think of that not sure if it makes not hearing from him better or worse...

May 23, 2010 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
  9. sk8104s8tan

something is seriously wrong with all this. why did the news reports about this suddenly cease? Canadian forces are stationed at KAF but news of this on the canadian media only mentioned 'injuries' but not specific. Is the attack ongoing? it seems that way

May 23, 2010 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Kathy

My son was also in this attack I have yet to hear from him but pray he is ok...

May 23, 2010 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  11. CONSTANTINE

THE END OF DAYS

Were spending billions of the dollars on terrorism but what about the quiet
    talk of racism? You know who you are (Rand Paul, etc….). It’s not in your favor to rewrite history and try to crawl (like a serpent) your way into the Government. Remove your mask and show your face. New World Order and slip into a World not It’s own. Most Americans can't see it. Any civilized person can. You can dislike a person, each race dislikes it’s own, but when someone goes over the top, even children would know “ Why some people hate?” Number one; STOP ATTACKING THE PRESIDENT! He's done more for this country in a short time than, ANY President in history. Does he get credit? It's not about his policies. and some people just don't like his skin color. DUH! You people are FOLLY! New flash! He's black AND white. Both parents were hard-working intelligent people who biologically created a kid who became President and mom stayed on him. Dad died early rest his soul but he had a mom that made sure, he never allowed no one to crush his dreams. Nobody cried about Bush, who's not even in the President's intellectual league and some can't stand what President Obama has achieved . He doesn't care about credit. He does this because he'll be paid in full. He didn't want to be President; he was spiritually chosen. I tell you the truth, Any jealous, deceitful, malicious, people who plots to take him out, they who touch even a thread of hair on him, will themselves on their death bed, will be preparing their souls for thee Abyss on the day that’s called, The Rapture. The oil already shows 1/3 of our habitat will start effecting wildlife and eventual human life. In the book of REVELATIONS; “ A quart of wheat for a day’s wage; three quarts for a days wage, but DO NOT DAMAGE THE OIL!(meaning the spill will destroy the Earth because of the evil greed of man) CONSPIRACY? Skull and bones? Look who’s quiet hummmm…. People are loosing their businesses because of this. Famine and plague will eventually begin. Frequent earthquakes, deadly weather, volcanoes erupting, tsunami’s reseding waters, signs of JESUS turning up all over the World and shifting islands from their foundations. So Americans WAKE UP! Government is not our fear. Terrorism is not our fear. Racism is not our fear. Money is MEANINGLESS! It doesn't give a rich man knowledge. Why? He can’t even plug an oil hole. I tell you the truth. The best is yet to come. You haven't seen nothing yet. FEAR NOW! So do as you will. It's been foretold. So shall it be.

CONSTANTINE

May 23, 2010 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • sue

amen!!!!

May 24, 2010 at 11:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • ...wow

...alright buddy, it's time to switch to decaf!

May 27, 2010 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Dan in Lafayette,IN

JUST FOR POWER!

May 23, 2010 at 3:37 am | Report abuse |
  13. Dan in Lafayette,IN

Daniel, we are not there to expand our influence in the region. We are there now to rid the people from terror, violence and killings that the Taliban bring. The Taliban terrorize the people to make them afraid to stand up against them. There nothing but a terror organization. NATO and the Afghan security force must bring safety to the people and the people must stand up to these cowards who force their ideology on the people!

May 23, 2010 at 3:36 am | Report abuse |
  14. Iraq Paramedic

Dear GOD, please bless & keep all the soldiers who are in harms way from all over the world, also bless & keep all the civilians who have chosen to go support our military efforts & also bless & keep the Afghan people & bring them the peace & prosperity they want; please GOD wrap your protection around them, lay your healing hand on them & bring all those in harm's way your peace, grace, mercy & love & the salvation of your son JESUS CHRIST. In JESUS CHRIST name I pray because I am unworthy, AMEN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    May GOD bless & keep us all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 23, 2010 at 3:23 am | Report abuse |
  15. Ricky

My uncle serves in the USAF as U.S Postal and hearing about the attacks on may 22 2010, I'm am really worried about him and othes he is serving with.I pray for the safety of our U.S troops and everyne fighting for the United States. I'm only 19 years old and I am now inerested on others lives.

Let god save us all and gives us Hope.

May 23, 2010 at 12:59 am | Report abuse |
  16. armymom07

My daughter is their, and has confirmed she is Safe...when I got the call, I was sitting in the same seat as when I received her call from Ft. Hood on Oct 6th, only this time it was different, the tears were harder, the pain was greater than I could have imagined...All I know is as much as it may hurt (I'm very Proud of My Army Girl). And need to remember not to give up on Faith for she is in God's Hand's and will be Protected every step taken through this Deployment along with the other Troop's in Afganistan... My Blessing's & Prayer's to Our Military Family's and Soldier's. Proud Blue Star Mom of America

An Army Mom's Prayer
    God Bless My Child As She
    Falls To Sleep, I Pray This
    Night The Peace To Keep.
    If There's Danger And If
    There's Strife, Please Send
    Angels To Guard Her Life.
    Keep Her Safe And Free
    From Fear, Bless My Soldier
    And Keep Her Near. Until
    She's Home, Until She's
    Safe, Bring Peace To Our
    Hearts And Strenghten
    Our Faith

Thank You Lisa for my Dog Tag, I wear Proudly, til you return home...Luv U & Miss U, Mom
    PS: Sending Hugg's & Angel Kisses your way

May 23, 2010 at 12:54 am | Report abuse |
  17. sk8104s8tan

it was khandahar air field that was hit with 5 rockets then a attack at the perimeter from the north. the attack was beaten back. http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2010/05/22/afghanistan-insurgents-nato-base.html

May 23, 2010 at 12:21 am | Report abuse |
  18. Peter

Oh I think all these comments are great. We should pull out of Afghanistan immediately and feed the starving and illegal aliens in America. To heck with the future our kids and grandkids, they can deal with world instability in their time. For now let us just have peace in a world isolated from the imminent brewing of hatred that will lead to another world war. We need our money now so we can have healthcare and government bailouts for our defaulting morgages. Yes even though so many have died just to get our foot in the door in a region Isolated from democracy. Who do we think we are to impose integration. Did it work in the 60's. Do we thnk that once they get to know us they will not demonize us the way the hate mongers and their mullahs preach. Their opinion is the word of God and we are classified by Moslems as infedels. World peace cannot be achieved by being over there, again does integration work? Yes we are not here for world peace, but just to make money from a war machine. and if you believe any of this is serious then you are a selfcenered me generation idiot.

May 22, 2010 at 11:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Daniel-2

Quite well put,Peter.

May 24, 2010 at 6:55 am | Report abuse |
  19. Az

My mom is there as a civilian and called me this afternoon to tell me she was ok. I bawled my eyes out even though she is fine. Hit me hard. Hope she comes home soon.

May 22, 2010 at 10:47 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Sharon

Every day I worry about my husband who has been there for almost a year now. We are able to talk on the computer most nights, but when those alarm goes off it really scares me. Tonight was the worst and I wish it was time for him to come home and get away from those crazy people. We need to support EVERYONE that is over there soldier and contractor alike.

May 22, 2010 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Daniel-2

We need to get both the Karzai government and the Taliban to the negotiating table to find a way to achieve peace and stop this senseless carnage and bring our people home as soon as possible and give up our ambitions of expansion into the region.

May 22, 2010 at 11:05 pm | Report abuse |
  21. LCpl Garrett, J., USMC

I agree with Mike. OPSEC is a huge issue. For those of you who know exactly what happened, keep it to yourselves. Do not post it on the internet. All you guys back home need to know is that situation has been handled. And for those of you who think we shouldn't be here you are wrong. The people on the ground, US, believe in what we do and what we fight for. We fight for you. We fight so things like 9/11 don't happen again. We fight to make this a better place for the Afghans. We are not fighting the Afghans. There is a reason why the people we fight are called insurgents. They don't belong to this country. So please try to support us as best you can. Some of these post are a little discouraging but I understand that people have their opinion. Guess what? We fight so that you have that right to opinion. And from all of us here on the ground to our families back home, we love you and always way. Stay supportive and we will stay safe.

May 22, 2010 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Miriam

Thank you LCpl Garrett. It is important for those of us who are new to the military way of life to hear how vital it is to our troops' safety

Thank you, LCpl Garrett, for reminding those of us at home, who have sons, husbands, brothers, wives, and mothers, in Afghanistan, of how critically important it is that we are careful of the information we devulge. I am grateful to live in a country that allows me to think and express my opinions. The people of Afghanistan have never experienced what I take for granted every day. Tonight, my opinion is not what is important. My son is in Afghanistan, although I don't know where. He is there because he deeply believes in what he is doing, and is willing to risk his life for this. While I may wish he were home tonight, I respect and honor his decision to, as you put it "make this a better place for the Afghans". God bless all of all our soliders tonight ... come home safely ... we love you.

May 22, 2010 at 10:40 pm | Report abuse |
      • Miriam's son

Love you too ma...thanks for that!

May 24, 2010 at 12:37 am | Report abuse |
  22. MIKE

Anyone here of this little thing called OPSEC? Obviously not!!! Google it.

May 22, 2010 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike

I believe it to mean that the Taliban can also be reading all these articles. And doing their own intelligence on all these articles. Which they are.

May 23, 2010 at 12:02 am | Report abuse |
  23. Lizzy

All these attacks Im not gonna lie are getting ridiculous but if you think about where there hitting..they are so close..and then in a small time frame...the other day it was Kabul, then a few nights ago it was here in Bagram...then last night it was Kandahar...and then alot of the news stories about the attacks the other day here on Bagram didnt even point out that HEY PEOPLE ACTUALLY GOT ON THE BASE AND WERE SHOOTING ON THE BASE...it wasnt just off and outside..they literally GOT IN...I love how the media tries to portray all that is happening but lacks more truths..I know its not a good thing for people to know whats ACTUALLY happening, but at the same time sugar coating it doesnt make it any better, especially for us out here in the midst of all these attacks and then the only way to know if our fellow battle buddies are ok is thru the news.

May 22, 2010 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • SoldierMomof1Son

GOOD POINT!

May 24, 2010 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
  24. matt28

Unwinable war....the quicker we learn to accept that the faster we can use that money we are wasting over there to help balance are budget instead of running up an unsurmountable amount of debt. This is not Iraq, not even worth comparing....Afghanistan is a low-tech jihadist playground that will just keep doing what they are doing because they don't want money or any other thing that we have in America. How do you beat those kind of people?

May 22, 2010 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • A Soldier

Unwinable war? You need to find some more free time my friend...get a hobby or something because you are the kind of idiot that gets up on your soap box just so you can complain about something. Use the money to balance the budget? So it's all about living comfortably? Defense should be our #1 concern right now, defense from the radicals that have proven in the last couple of months that they can reach out and hurt us on our own soil... thankfully they failed. This is not Iraq? I remember a time when dimwits like you used to make a whole bunch of noise about how there was no chance of winning in Iraq. You, my friend, are an opportunist of sorts...you complain like a martyr about whatever is popular to complain about with very limited thought. Next time you want to post something derogatory the mission that me and my brothers are tasked to do, put a little more thought into it and don't compel me to waste my time having to put you in your place...

May 27, 2010 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  25. opal

I worry so much. My son wrote to me hours ago, saying he was looking forward to 2 days on base (kandahar airfield). It is hard for everyone I am sure. Keep safe guys.....love you son ./hugs

May 22, 2010 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
  26. |Les R.

My son called shortly after the attack. Then called again a couple hours later. He said the base was attacked and they made it inside. Several people had died already then. This was around 10 am pst.

May 22, 2010 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • SoldierMomof1Son

Hey Les, just wanted to share this..
      I got a text message from my son a couple hours after the rocket attack -he wrote that he and some friends just left the area 5 minutes before it got hit by a rocket! then a second one soon after! Thankfully they are fine! That is not the first "close call" he's walked away from, and it's definitely not his last! Faith in God truly works! I'm a Believer! It's hard for the receiving end (parent's, etc) to hear that kind of stuff, especially being new to this, as I am. Fear tries to work overtime to weigh me down -but I won't let it. I've learned that as much as we need our soldiers there to help preserve our freedom, to help another country, or whatever our soldier's are needed for- our soldier's need us just as much. I USED TO ask my husband "why is my son telling me what he's gotta do or what close calls came near him and missed?, doesn't he realize who he's telling and that it's hurting me ("Mom"), inside and I'd worry?"... my husband replied, "You are blessed that he contacts you, and you -his "mom", is the first person on his heart to contact; You are blessed that he tells you because he knows that extra prayers for him and fellow soldiers will be said.." Those are the words that made me understand as much as we need our soldier's, they need us too. If i was to ask my son those questions directly, or if he hears fear in my voice when he shares what he's thankful for, then he'd keep it from me to save my feelings.. and how will I know how to support him? -I wouldn't. So when I get a "close-call" text from my son, now I know he's contacting me because he's thankful; he's appreciating life; but most especially, it's for that extra support needed -he's not contacting me to worry me. Let's continue to support our Soldier's in any way we're able to... they need us as much as we need them🙂 Just sharing ~ ALOHA FROM HAWAI'I

May 24, 2010 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Joe Torres Sr.usmc 1975 -1982

Hey Ryan Thank you for your clear explanation of whats going on there. My son Joey Torres Jr. is a U. S. Marine with 3/1 serving in Helman providence. II total agree its worth the fight. lets not forget 911. We have to take these guys out

Semper Fi

May 22, 2010 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • sk8104s8tan

OPSEC rules!!

May 24, 2010 at 12:27 am | Report abuse |
  28. Ryan

I've been in Kandahar for 4 1/2 years now, and those people who are comparing this with the Russian invasion need to realize, we are not and never were 'invading' Afghanistan. We are training the local people to be able to live without constant threat of death by the Taliban warlords. Their attacks against Bagram and the one we just had here a few hours are prime examples of the desperation of the Taliban and a good metric of how well we're doing out here. To Onesmallvoice, the 'Afghans' are not fighting us at all, the Taliban are. They are a criminal organization who terrorizes their own people. Your statement is like me saying that because there are some gangs in LA, all Americans are criminals with guns. Does that sound accurate to you? Do you support the gangs? The locals love us here, I am friends with quite a few of them and I have watched this country change for the better ever since I came here. As a former US Marine, I feel bad when our troops are injured, but they are here making a difference and doing their jobs. I don't see anybody crying about the oil drillers who died in the Gulf recently, doing their jobs so you could drive your SUV. Keep in mind, Afghanistan is the worlds largest producer of poppies. If we can turn this country into one with a proper working government, maybe you won't have as much heroin on the streets. To TJ, don't worry too much about your husband, this base is big and he would be more likely to be hit by a car at home with you than he is to get hit by a rocket out here. There are almost 40,000 people on this base, most of them armed and trained for this type of thing. There are hundreds of armed aircraft waiting to scramble if something happens. There are billions of dollars in state of the art technology here to find the bad guys and protect the good guys, so your husband is in pretty good hands right now.

May 22, 2010 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Melissa

Thanks Ryan, those are definitely encouraging words. My husband is there right now and I know he's fine but since I haven't spoken to him, there's a little worry. But it's nice to hear from someone who is there right now and can spread a little reassurance to us back at home.
      Thank you for your time in service and the continued support you're still giving to our men and women.

May 22, 2010 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jennifer

Thanks Ryan, I needed to hear that. My son is currently at KAF. He is waiting to come home after patroling in the heartland of Taliban country for the last 7 months. This news of an attack gave me a scare, I am still waiting for my son to write back to let me know he is OK.

May 22, 2010 at 8:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • armymomX2

thanks for everything you said. your words are informative, encouraging & real.

May 22, 2010 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dreama O'Quinn

James Steven's Mom
      Ryan, thanks so much for your story today. I am concerned everyday but knew that bad things were happening overnight. Ryan you and all of our soldiers are the most special people on this earth. My son tells me "Mom we are all in this together" to all you moms and dads stay strong and pray for all our men and women in this war. I am so proud of all of them.....

May 23, 2010 at 9:16 am | Report abuse |
    • TJ

thanks ryan. i know that the FOB is huge, and my husbands job is not one that would require him to get out and actually use his weapon. i just have anxiety issues.

May 23, 2010 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
    • Eric

"There are hundreds of armed aircraft waiting to scramble if something happens" HA HA HA an exit strategy, ready to make a run for it!!! With all American "billions of dollars in state of the art technology" and hundreds of thousands of "armed and trained for this type of thing" soldiers, America/Nato cannot defeat a rag tag militia of just a few thousand Taliban. Without air power you American/Nato soldiers are nothing but cowards that cannot fight the Taliban face to face.

May 24, 2010 at 5:00 am | Report abuse |
  29. Chris

this has been a rough night. keeping us up all night hope we can get to bed soon..

May 22, 2010 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  30. TJ

as i was talking to my husband this morning, i heard the sirens going off in the background and he said he had to go and get into his bunker. even though i am thousands of miles away from all of this, hearing those sirens, knowing what they meant, and realizing that my husband is there, makes this so real to me. it isn't just another story in the news. none of them are. pray for the soldiers and their families. those of us at home that read the news, that are trying to still continue to function normally when many don't even know when they will talk to their spouse, or their child, next. or even if they will.

May 22, 2010 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • L

I was skyping on the computer with my daughter this morning when i heard the sirens, saw her eyes look up and get huge, and she said " Mom, I gotta go". I told her be safe, and that I loved her. I still haven't heard from her. I didn't know how bad it was until I saw it on yahoo news. Why don't the networks let us know about this asap. I guess the "oil Spill" is more important than our loved ones serving over there!

May 22, 2010 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Kitibo

And for those who think that the US and NATO should pull out, think again. I am not a right wing fanatic at all, but having been on the ground at KAF and Kandahar City, the Afghan people just want peace and stability, it has nothing to do with foreign control. God bless the troops from all of the countries serving with ISAF

May 22, 2010 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Onesmallvoice

If that's true,why are the Afghans fighting us just like they did the Russians back in the 1980's and why do they support the Taliban?

May 22, 2010 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
      • me

My daughter is in Kandahar, we are awaiting word to see if she is OK. The Afghan people "support" the taliban, because the taliban are holding a gun to their heads or to the heads of their children. You might want to find yourself some unbiased history lessons, yes, they are hard to find, but they are out there. However, they will no longer be in Texas, nothing unbiased will be allowed to be looked at again in Texas, lol. Glad I am not raising kids there.

May 22, 2010 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Kitibo

Just left Kandahar a few days ago, the rocket attacks were starting to ratchet up on the Airfield, so this is not a surprise. The Taliban is done collecting its tax on the poppy fields, so they are flush with cash and ready to

May 22, 2010 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  33. grace

this news did not even make it to the tv news room?

May 22, 2010 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Santosh

God help us Military and Civilian. we civilian also here to support and give our service to military for their good work.
    Santosh

May 22, 2010 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bart Thomas

Santosh, I hope you will consider returning to our Latter-day Saint worship services on Sunday at 1330 at the Chapel or come over to the CMC for Family Night movies and games on Thursdays at 2000. Sincerely, Brother Bart Thomas

May 22, 2010 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
      • armymomX2

my oldest son is LDS & my youngest son is a spiritual thinker I hope religous leaders encourage them to attend services.

May 22, 2010 at 10:08 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Onesmallvoice

When are they going to wake up and realize the fact that the Afghans just don't want foreign rule???First they fought the Russians and now NATO.But the right-wing fanatics don't get it.

May 22, 2010 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Adam

Imagine that, another person commenting on something they obviously have very little, if any, understanding about. What is happening there now is not what was happening in the 80's.

May 22, 2010 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Col Gregory T. Breazile, USMC

Martina, We wish for the same thing. We will fight for the rights of the Afghan people. We will continue to assist the Afghans as they build their security forces and they will one day be able to secure their land. Thanks for your concern!

Semper Fi,
    Greg

May 22, 2010 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Katharine Charles

Thank you for reminding people what our military forces are really doing. People have no idea how we work to get things for the people to be able to take care of what they have to secure their lands.. I wish they knew. We pray so hard for everyone's safety.

May 22, 2010 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse |
      • Daniel-2

We need to try to find a peace that everbody can live by and stop this bloodshed and bring the troops home as soon as possible.

May 22, 2010 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Martina

Every Day so bad News and Iam very sad and would wish, i could doing any thing against this! I do daily pray for all the Soldiers ,but i think, its not enaugh! I would wish, God come down to the earth and would put in Order in the warzones all! No any Soldier should die there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its realy cruel!!!!!
    God protect the Soldiers

May 22, 2010 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Daniel

What we need is a President with enough moral principles and who values the lives of others to get us out of this dipicable war.Back in 1988,Soviet Primier Makhail Gorbachev wisely and rightly decided to end the Russian commitment there and we need to do the same.

May 22, 2010 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
      • Aysayn

Daniel, your post tells me you understand very little of the world around us. Like the president or not cruelty exists and bad people will always try to control the weak. If you run away and hide they will eventually come and get you too. It's sad but true. Someone has to fight for what's right, and tell extremists that their lies won't be tolerated. The Taliban is about power, not religion. Religion is a means to an end for them. We just need to make sure we don't get confused, and continue to fight for the people and not the politicians.

May 23, 2010 at 2:07 am | Report abuse |
      • Khalil

Dear Daniel, in late 70's when Russia invaded Afghanistan, Afghans did not resisted, The Afghans were persuaded by the American's to start a holy war against the Russian's, I was only 9 years old living with my family in Kandahar city. We lived in a very peaceful environment. That was changed when the big boy's started the war indirectly, and put the afghans in the middle, to be killed.

We believe this was an American/Russian war not an Afghan war, I personally believe that America is to blame for supporting Mujaheddin (Freedom Fighters) to fight the Russians. Now, do you really think U.S should pull out, when they created a monstrous country?

Afghan are also humans and deserve a better live, like the rest of the world. U.S can't just leave, they have to clear the mess they created first. Or allow Afghans to plant poison (Opium) and open it's borders to all sort of wanted terrorist.

God is it to much to ask if you could turn Afghanistan to the way it was,30 years ago. peace on all human kind.

May 23, 2010 at 2:42 am | Report abuse |
    • Military mom

My son is there, and has contacted me that although he is in the exact middle of it all, he is currenty ok. Like a good mother, I told him I love and he will be just fine, now get off the internet, pick up you gun and stay ready. Some more of our US soldiers died today, I am lucky again that today, was not my sons day. God bless the mother who lost her hero today. There by the grace of God am I that mother. Amen.

A Military Mom

May 22, 2010 at 7:57 pm | Report abuse |
      • Jeremy's Mom

My son is there as well and called a little while ago to let me know he is ok. I praise God that today was not his day. I am so proud of him for the work he does and will pray for all the young men and women fighting there today. I also pray for their families who have to sit and wonder if their loved one is ok. Many prayers for you and your son.

May 22, 2010 at 8:27 pm | Report abuse |
      • armymomX2

I am also a military mom with TWO sons serving in kandahar afghanistan. I wait day & night for each of their calls to come to reassure me that they have made it through the day. I have daughters at home whom I must keep a streight face for. I cry in the shower where they cant hear me or see my tears. I pray for all the soldiers & their families & long for the day this war is over!!!

May 22, 2010 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shay Waltz Collins

GOD BLESS YOU, Ma'am,
      My father and my brother are in Afghanistan right now! And were just in this attack! It BREAKS my heart, I worry everyday!! Thank you for your prayers for ALL of our soldiers and civilians over there!!

May 23, 2010 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nick's Mom

I sit here and wonder WHY? my son is fighting an endless war? We can't fix their problems nor can we put a Super America gas staion on every corner street in Afganistan. Please God make this all go away. Someone step up to the plate and demand this war is over, forget about the politics, money and power, that's what is killing our sons, daughters, husbands and wifes. My peace goes out to all of you that open the internet daily just to partially see the madness that our heart is feeling. I LOVE YOU NICHOLAS ARCHER MOM

May 24, 2010 at 8:21 am | Report abuse |
      • Styles

To the MOMS...tears fill my eyes to hear your cries ..I can feel you compassion, your fears, and your unconditional love... my prayers go out to you...and your beloved children fighting this war... I also want to thank you for the insight you've given me and the humility i've received from reading these messages... I was blind=sided thinking that there wasn't too much going on over there..because its not displayed on the news... My boyfriend is serving and I'd choose to fight with him about not being emotionally supported and no communication... and I feel like a fool right now... thank you ladies:)

May 25, 2010 at 12:35 am | Report abuse |