May 21st, 2010

Profiles of 5 U.S. troops killed in Kabul blast

A suicide bombing on May 18 in Kabul, Afghanistan, killed at least 18 people.

The blast killed at least a dozen civilians, five U.S. troops and a Canadian service member, officials said. It occurred on a busy road near a NATO-led military convoy and a registration center for the Afghan Army.

Here are profiles of the five U.S. service members killed in the attack.

Col. John M. McHugh, 46, West Caldwell, New Jersey

McHugh was "one of the most positive guys I've ever met," his childhood friend Jeff Bradley remembered.

Bradley and McHugh grew up together in West Caldwell.

He was "somebody with a smile and encouragement. A personality never succumbing to a crisis," Bradley said. "He was the same steady happy upbeat guy."

Bradley, an ESPN writer, said McHugh was probably the best soccer goalkeeper Bradley knew when he played against him at a rival high school. And a good writer, too. He remembered reading all the stories and reports that McHugh would write up after all the games he played for James Caldwell High School.

He was "a born leader, a natural leader," according to Bradley, and it was no surprise to anyone when he got into West Point.

Bradley remembered him always having "very short hair and (being) disciplined in all aspects."

Jim DiOrio, a classmate of McHugh at West Point, set up a Facebook group in McHugh's memory, "Remembering Johnny Mac." Already there are nearly 1,400 members.

DiOrio said McHugh was a person with "maturity beyond years who was energetic and optimistic with everything in life."

He "could be relied on at all times even at such a young age," DiOrio said.

At West Point, McHugh continued his love for sports, playing goalkeeper for its Division I team, DiOrio said.

DiOrio said he and other former classmates were reminiscing about McHugh and tried to think of a time when the colonel was ever mad, angry or upset. Nobody ever saw him angry.

His senior yearbook from West Point underscored that good spirit.

"He never lets anything get him down. If he had a bad test, he would jump for joy that he still had his health. If he lost a soccer game he would joke about how nobody on the other team knew how to speak English. Johnny Mac's willingness to give that Mac smile and encouragement to someone else never went without appreciation," the yearbook entry said.

That is how his former friends want him to be remembered.

McHugh was the head of U.S. Army Battle Command Training Program at Fort Leavenworth in Kansas. He had arrived in Afghanistan just days before he was killed, and was one of the highest-ranking officers to die in Afghanistan.

Spc. Joshua Tomlinson, 24, Dubberly, Louisiana

"He was always smiling."

That's how Ann Holomon remembers her former student.

His wife, Rowena, described him this way in an email to CNN: "Josh was a great person that made everybody around him laugh and put a smile on their face. He's got a good heart, a great friend, an amazing son and the best husband a woman could ask for."

Tomlinson was based in Germany until his deployment to Afghanistan. He grew up in the small town of Dubberly in the northwest corner of Louisiana before he joined the Army four years ago.

Before joining up, he went back Lakeside High School to talk to Holomon, his former algebra teacher who is now a guidance counselor.

"He wanted to serve his country," Holomon said.

"He was a very smart young man. He always did well in his classes," Holomon said. She said  Tomlinson liked to draw and enjoyed music.

Army officials are expected to promote Tomlinson posthumously in the next few days to the rank of sergeant.

He is survived by hiw wife, a brother, two sisters and his parents.

Lt. Col. Thomas Belkofer, 44, Perrysburg, Ohio

Belkofer never did anything half way, his mother, Sharon, said. The former high school wrestler was a "fun kid."

"He was gung-ho about everything he did and gung-ho in his enjoyment. If he was happy about something, he was very happy. If he was upset, he was very upset," his mother said.

That enthusiasm contributed to his commitment to his nearly 18 years of military service. But before he joined the military, Belkofer had a hard time finding direction, his mother recalled.

"He was a jack of all trades. He wasn't sure what he wanted to do," she said. After high school, Belkofer studied electronics design and civil engineering, dropping out after a year of each and taking time off. Finally, he ended up at a college where he studied physical therapy before settling on architectural design.

But he found his footing in the Army where he excelled in budget and planning. His work in Afghanistan utilized those skills.

Belkofer was only in Afghanistan for a two-week tour, along with a few other officers, ahead of his unit deployment in October.

He'd served already in Afghanistan in 2005 and 2006 and he felt strongly about his commitment there, his mother said.

"He was very caught up with the people. He used to talk about some of his experiences with the people and the children, and the impact the military had in making things better for them," Sharon Belkofer recalled.

Belkofer is survived by his wife, Margo, and two daughter, Alyssa, 15, and Ashley, 11.

Staff Sgt. Richard Tieman, 28, Waynesboro, Pennsylvania

"He was a very outgoing, loving, caring guy," his mother, Diane Tieman, said. "He enjoyed other people and they enjoyed him."

Tieman was coming up on his 10-year anniversary in the Army and already had three war zone tours under his belt.

He had served in Iraq twice and was hoping to be home from Afghanistan in two months.

Tieman grew up as an Army brat, living with his family in North Carolina, Germany and Colorado.

"He was following his father's steps," Tieman said about her son's decision to join in September 1990.

The family takes comfort that he was doing what he wanted, his mother said. "He didn't mind doing it," she said. "He loved his job."

Tieman was awarded the Bronze Star and Purple Heart posthumously and his other awards and decorations include the Army Accommodation Medal, Army Achievement Medal, Army Good Conduct Medal, National Defense Service Medal, Afghan Campaign Medal, Iraq Campaign Medal, Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal, Global War on Terrorism Service Medal, NCO Professional Development Ribbon, Army Service Ribbon, Overseas Service Ribbon, NATO Medal, Combat Infantryman Badge and the Combat Action Badge.

On a recent leave he had married a fellow soldier, Staff Sgt. Paulina Tieman, and they had planned a bigger wedding this winter.

Lt. Col. Paul R. Bartz, 43, Waterloo, Wisconsin

Bartz was 43 years old when he died Tuesday in Kabul, Afghanistan. As a career military officer he spent his adult life on the move, but Waterloo was still home.

"It's a sad thing, these boys over there giving their lives," said Waterloo resident and contractor Phil Broetzman. It hits close to home. This is a real tragedy."

The local Waterloo restaurant, Cindy Lou's Cafe, was full of talk about Bartz when Broetzman came in for coffee Thursday morning.

"He was a nice young man. I am still in shock," Broetzman told CNN by telephone. "He was a good friend of my son. They played basketball together."

The U.S. Army says Bartz had arrived at Fort Drum in upstate New York in June 2009 and was in Afghanistan to conduct training and set conditions for the deployment of the 10th Mountain Division headquarters later this year.

He leaves behind a wife and son.

His awards and decorations include the Defense Meritorious Service Medal, Meritorious Service Medal, Army Commendation Medal, Joint Service Achievement Medal, and Army Achievement Medal.

- CNN's Hunter Burgarella, Charley Keyes, Larry Shaughnessy and Adam Levine contributed to this report.

Post by:
Filed under: Daily Developments • Kabul attacks • Troops • Uncategorized
  1. Mrs. Joyce Kline

God bless these men and all our military for their courage and bravery. God bless the Chaplains who are tasked with the services honoring these brave men. These losses cut to the heart of everyone who loves and cares for our military. I pray for the time when no man or women will have to fall while laying down his life for another but I thank God for those who choose to do so for my freedoms. With deepest sympathy, love and respect for all who have fallen and all those who serve.

May 27, 2010 at 7:16 am | Report abuse |
  2. Andrew

Thank you GOD for those dead soldiers. Let them forever burn in hell!

May 26, 2010 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |
  3. Andrew

I am so happy those five American invaders were killed. They completely deserve that.
    Thank you GOD for dead soldiers. Let them forever burn in hell!
    Long live the Taliban

May 26, 2010 at 10:38 am | Report abuse |
  4. WAheed

God bless them because they are working for peace .

from Kandahar afghanistan

May 26, 2010 at 2:44 am | Report abuse |
  5. john

Does it really matter what country we are from. I have served in both Iraq and Afghanistan. Each time as a member of an multi-national unit and have conducted combat operations with Canadian, British, Australian, German, Norwegian, Polish , Belgian, French, New Zealand, Dutch, Italian, and Afghan military personnel. We all fight, bleed and die the same. If we don't confront our common enemy on their turf we would and will more than likely have to fight them here in the U.S, and in Canada and the countries/homes of our other NATO allies. I was taught to think before I speak, because once it's out there it's difficult if not impossible to take it back, maybe a few of you should do the same for I believe if you served in the military in a combat in you would have a different view on the at times necessary and yet unpleasant business of war and those who go forth into harms way day in and day out on our behalf.

May 25, 2010 at 10:33 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Patrick

I am an American serving overseas. I heard the blast that killed the 5 Americans and 1 Canadian! Who gives a crap whether they were American or Canadian. The fact is 6 soldiers died that day to make life better for Afghans! Thank you to the 5 Americans and the 1 Canadian helping to make the world a better place. I will never forget the sound that took your lives!

May 25, 2010 at 4:40 am | Report abuse |
  7. CBartz

God Bless all the families of these brave fallen soldiers....especially the family of Lt. Col. Paul R. Bartz....When my mother saw the newscast on CNN regarding the deaths of these men and saw these pictures she about fell over b/c the pic of Lt. Col. Paul R. Bartz looks just like my deceased father, Irwin A. Bartz! We never knew my fathers family, especially his distant relatives, but we did know that they came from WI. After seeing his picture, resembling my father to a 'T', and seeing that his hometown is in WI we just KNOW he is one my distant relatives....again may God Bless all the soldiers and their families as I know how it feels to have a loved one fighting overseas for our country.

May 24, 2010 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |
  8. armywife3/75

I just want to say thank you to all of those men and women devoting their lives to keep their country free from terriorism. As for articles conducted by the media you should blame the media not the people in that country. In every country the media is corrupt so you cant blame the citizens in that country.

May 24, 2010 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  9. kisumu11

There is only one thing to do – get out of Iraq and Afghanistan and make peace in the Middle East and most of
    these problems will disappear. Then make the US armed forces the strongest in the world to counter the real threats from China, N. Korea and other rogue states.

May 24, 2010 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  10. SPC Jackson, Iesha

Diane and Paulina (& Family) Tieman, I am so sorry for your loss. Richard was a great person. He was always smiling and had the funniest personality. I remember myself and a few other soldiers had spent Thanksgiving in 08(Germany) with him. We played poker and laughed it up. Even though I only knew him for a short period of time, he will hold a place in my heart. It hurts to find out about my fellow soldiers passing away. I wish that this would all end and Friends and Family's won't have to hurt anymore. God Bless you!

May 24, 2010 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Connie Brown

My heart goes out to the families of the 5 US soldiers and 1 Canadian soldier who lost their lives this past week. I lost my son SSG Vernon W Martin 10/3/2009 alone with 7 other young men that horrible day. Just pray for all our men and women in the Military. Although we have lost more lives than any other country in these wars, a lost life, is a lost life and I know personally what all the families of a FALLEN HERO faces. Please continue to PRAY FOR ALL OF THEM.

May 23, 2010 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
  12. prospero

To honor or not someone is one's personal business. What really happens is of the common interest without estimations.
    Meanwhile, http://alethonews.wordpress.com/

May 23, 2010 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  13. working joe

As a Canadian, I find it disgusting that my countrymen are demanding recognition for our fallen soldiers here on an American forum. This should truly only be a tribute to your fallen Hero's. I have worked with many Americans, and have found that we both have a great respect for each others countries. Here in Canada, there are a lot of tributes to our fallen Hero's, and thats as far as it should go. Some of these comments are distasteful and disrespectful. And Bill McInnis, the Canadian Colonel was mentioned, you should be ashamed. I don't know why these tools need to hijack these forums, its very childish, and not representative of the real camaraderie that our militaries and countries have experienced over time.

May 23, 2010 at 12:19 am | Report abuse |
  14. Sodathief

Don't you understand that all this bickering and 'mentioning of who, where' stuff is pointless and stupid? Personally, I don't care who you are or where you came from. If your fighting the Taliban and their allies, you should be honored, period. Whether it be here or somewhere else. There are over 16 nations working together in Afghanistan right now, and working together is what we need to be doing.

May 22, 2010 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Daniel-2

But who is honoring the Russians who also died there? Just like us,they fought the same people until Mikhail Gorbachev pulled them out in 1989 and even today the right-wing media plays down their sacrifices.

May 22, 2010 at 7:30 pm | Report abuse |
  15. prospero

How can you comment that three of them were high-ranked officers? One sgt. and only one specialist? This operation must have been very good planned, wasn't it? May be based on a leak. What's your opinion?

May 22, 2010 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Rod

Tomlinson was a good friend of mine. We worked very closely together in Germany. He was the most entertaining and funniest Soldier I have ever met. He will be missed by many people.

May 22, 2010 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  17. mike

as a soldier serving in afghanistan right now i laugh at this.... these soldiers were killed less than a mile from where i was at.... in my tent right now are soldiers from the 10th mountain.... some of my guys were on that same road heading in the same direction... i have worked along side the canadians, the germans, the bulgarians and many more and would gladly lay down my life for any one of them fighting and working along side of me..... borders dont matter in a combat zone... we are on the same dam side... and as a matter of fact the canadian army is just as good as we are.... for all you arm chair infantrymen.... "come join a real army"... from a sailor... are you kidding me????? if you havent set foot in this country keep your dam mouth shut... the people that matter will remember the fallen.... you dont need it on the news, or in the papers... on some big screen for all to feel sory for.... those that care will cherish the memory of the lost.... i am proud of what i do... do i want to be here... absolutely... why? because my friends are here... i fight for them.... patriotism and payback are a given.... i find it amazing how people can argue and bicker over something that most of you have never even come close to being in a situation the ressembles anything like what goes on here on a daily basis... its easy to type, try going outside the wire on a daily basis.... and yet most dont even hesitate.... so enjoy your starbucks in the morning or your queen size bed tonight... read about us on cnn.... i did not know these men... but i know their kind... a soldier never dies, because they will always be remembered....

May 22, 2010 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Niko

God bless! God finally gave them what they deserved afterkilling so many civilians justice finaly found its way, and now their victims got some justice, not only these but the other "civilians" (mercenaries) that went along them. Most of them officers the most guilty of all for ordering the killing of innocent people. Don´t rest in peace and burn in hell !!!!

May 22, 2010 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  19. lab

I am ashamed of everyone arguing on this blog! 18 people died that day!! To me 5 hit home, as an American; but 6 hit home as an Army family member, all 18 hit home as a mom, wife, sister, daughter. I live in fear each day that my kids and I will have someone come to our door telling us someone in our family was Killed In Action or killed at all. It is hard when family members are deployed. It is even harder to hear one of our own have been killed. I have cried every time I hear or read about this tragedy and others. It could have been me being told someone had been killed. I am going to one of their servies soon and will miss not seeing him there. I will say my prayers every night for their families. From what I have read and heard these fine men would not appreicate all this arguing. They were all 6 good men!! As I'm sure the other 12 that were killed there were good people too. Let's keep our thoughts and prayers with all 18 of the ones killed family members. They need our support and our prayers to help them get through this horrible time!!! God has a reason for this tragedy, I am not sure what, but He does! My prayers are with each family member and friends of all 18 that were killed and all the ohers that have been killed in WAR (no matter which war they were in)!!!

May 22, 2010 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  20. fahad

I feel sorry for these solders whom, they died and lost their live in the wrong faith and wrong direction. I am very sure that if it is up to them. they would not want to go to Afghanistan .please read about Islam and the true religion.

fahad

May 22, 2010 at 4:30 am | Report abuse |
  21. Kristopher Delgado

Tomlinson, Ima miss you brother.

May 22, 2010 at 2:31 am | Report abuse |
  22. Dan in Lafayette,IN

Daniel, the Russians went into Afghanistan to conquer it. We went in seeking justice but now we are there so that the Taliban and it's extremist ideology do not regain power and have Afghanistan become a hotbed for extremism once again. We, as part of the world community, must put an end to Islamic extremism so that they do not have a place to plot more attacks in the western world as they do now in Pakistan. The whole world must stand up and put an end to this Islamic extremism before it turns into a cancer and takes many Muslims with it, to hell!

May 21, 2010 at 7:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • BERNARD

Wow, this people is fighting for the oligarcs. Henry Kissinger said, army is full of useful idiots!

Americans open your eyes, you are fighting for EXXON, Hallyburton, BP, wall Street, .... when you know why are you in Afghanistan and Iraq, "for 9-11"???

YOU ARE FIGHTING FOR NEW WORLD ORDER!!!!

wake up!!

May 24, 2010 at 3:39 am | Report abuse |
      • Daniel-2

Very well put,BERNARD.

May 24, 2010 at 7:08 am | Report abuse |
  23. Daniel

It's kind of funny how nobody's blogging in here to remember the Russians and the sacrifices they made fighting the same war.They suffered a lot of losses,too but does anybody even care?

May 21, 2010 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Aimee

As a mil-wife currently in a middle of a deployment. I know first hand what it's like to live day to day with the fear of your loved one not returning to you. It what we fear the most- and such a loss. My heart goes out to each and everyone of the family members left behind. I wish I were ther to give each and everyone of the wives a hug! The sad thing is people do not understand the what the troops face each daywhile fighting there and what the families left behind have to face as well. I often feel like the freedom of our whole country is on the shoulders of a few good men! I am blessed to have one of them as a husband. You all are in my prayers.

May 21, 2010 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Army wife

i agree with you there this is our fear daily and that day my husband was almost one of them men and i knew them and it kills me inside to think i almost lost my husband he was just a car away one car his was the first that no one died in and then i see fighting on here and people thinking our men and women do nothing =(

May 22, 2010 at 3:37 am | Report abuse |
      • Hometruth

95% of moderate muslims do not speak out and carry on living their miserable lives dictated by the fundamendalists. On a global scale the same goes for the woman kind. As an American woman you can make a huge difference. Form an alliance with the Afghan women. The only thing preventing us is the fact that we want to see US victorious even if it were to kill and destroy families on both sides.

May 23, 2010 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Peggy

As a family member of one of the brave men that was lost on May 18, i would like to thank all of the kind words that were expressed......To those of you who are arguing, i really wish you'd stop.....ALL of the lives lost were a huge blow! I will miss my cousin more then i can say along with ALL of the men that died with him that day. Rest In Peace Richard.

May 21, 2010 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Y.Bishop

My thought are with our fallen brothers and their families. While fighting over there for 16 months, my battle buddies and I would call this War; 'The Forgotten War'. Please, Lets Never Forget! Thank You.

May 21, 2010 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  27. marinemom

As a military mom with my son leavin for Afgahnistan in 2 weeks i just want to say these men ARE HERO'S !

YOUR FAMILY'S ARE IN PRAYERS AND HEARTS OF MILLIONS WHO THANK YOU FOR YOUR SACRIFICE THAT YOU HAVE GIVEN TO THIS COUNTRY !
    'ALL GAVE SOME AND SOME GAVE ALL . . . . THANK YOU

May 21, 2010 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  28. New York

Thank you so much for doing this.

May 21, 2010 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  29. america88

hey Q this is what the bible also says🙂 enjoy

I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you gave me clothing, I was sick and you took care of me, I was in prison and you visited me. Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord when was it that we did these things for you?' And the king will answer them, 'Truly I tell you, just as you did it to one of the least of these who are members of my family, you did it to me.

...Matthew 25: 35-45

May 21, 2010 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  30. pudge

I'm certain SSGT Tieman received the Army Commendation Medal and not the Army Accomodation Medal. I could be wrong but I'd like the author to recheck his facts. Thank you for your service all. From one vet to 5 others, I salute you.

May 21, 2010 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Dean Gerondale

Paul Bartz and I roomed together our first 2 years in College. He was an outstanding fiend and Idividual. Even though Paul and I had not communicated in years I will always have great memories of our college days and how he pushed me both mentality and physcally during school. May his family find great faith and I will pray for them

May 21, 2010 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Q

@aaron

here is the Christianity version of "peace" –enjoy🙂

Deuteronomy 20:10-14
    10 When you march up to attack a city, make its people an offer of peace. 11 If they accept and open their gates, all the people in it shall be subject to forced labor and shall work for you. 12 If they refuse to make peace and they engage you in battle, lay siege to that city. 13 When the LORD your God delivers it into your hand, put to the sword all the men in it. 14 As for the women, the children, the livestock and everything else in the city, you may take these as plunder for yourselves. And you may use the plunder the LORD your God gives you from your enemies.

May 21, 2010 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Q

@Andy

i love you too❤

May 21, 2010 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Q

My freedom here in America has never been at risk and never will be. People die everyday all over the world, the fact that Americans are dying during a war started by our own government means absolutely nothing. These guys died doing thier job which the voluntarily signed up for. If one of my fellow american's die processing transactions at Mcdonalds, did he die protecting my freedom? LMAO!!!

May 21, 2010 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Andy

And you are a fool, if you believe your freedom here is not at risk. It is more then you know. Not too mention, you are a poor excuse for a human being...

May 21, 2010 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Daniel

You said it right.This war should never have been started in the first place but Bush and his henchmen were too bullheaded not to.

May 21, 2010 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Aaron

HAMED,
    If Allah is really on the Muslim side then why aren't they winning? We helped Afghanistan against Russia and all you Muslims never mention that. All the 9-11 bombers went straight to hell where they belong. The promise went to Isaac, not Ishmael and Islam did not begin with Ishmael then but I guess Muhammed decided it should have but there were Arabs before him. Look at the website by Craig Winn for your religion of peace that says kill the infedil where you find him. Jesus never taught conversion by threat of force or death. You all always talk about the crusades but Muslim radicals kill and oppress Christians at current day. Check out a book by Flavious Josephus called the Jewish Antiquities a jew who wrote about Jesus as the Messiah. If a billion Muslims believe that Christ was not the Messiah which history clearly shows he was, then a biillion people believe a lie. Abraham was not the first Muslim. You all think God changed his mind from Gabriel to Muhammed but he did not so it was not true revelation from God. Christ will be your judge after this not Muhammed.

May 21, 2010 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Winning

I think they are winning.

May 21, 2010 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Dustin

I knew the two enlisted soldiers and "the Canadian" and am still in Kabul (the other officers were from another unit and I never had the pleasure of meeting them). All will be missed, but please understand that the Canadian news did an article dedicated to exclusively to "the Canadian." No one took it as a slight to the contributions of the Americans, so why would an American network carrying a dedication to American troops be frowned upon for not giving a biography of a service member from another nation? We have people from 38 countries (and counting) serving over here. Please don't turn this into an "us vs them" argument. That mentality does not exist over there, so there is no reason for it to exist back home.

May 21, 2010 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Army wife

i agree 100% never have i heard my husband talk about seperating team memebers because of where they were from he has always talked of them as equal and this is sad that those who say they support our troops can talk so bad of the others who are by your side and doing what you do to! Thank you dustin for being there and doing what you do... come home safe =)

May 22, 2010 at 3:41 am | Report abuse |
  37. War Is Not Good

I am an Afghan, and I know both sides of the coin. The people who are fighting the Nato are mostly those same people who fought the Soviets. My dad fought the Soviets and left for college after he freed his country. The people fighting are common people who have this Afghan honor that no non-Afghan should ever conquer Afghanistan. They fought against Alexander (women defeated him), Mongols, Muslim armies, Indians, Persians, Brits, Soviets, now Americans. Nato is doing something different than the Russians, but to these people fighting, they are both the same... taking over the country. Not all of those fighting are extremists. Some are educated, but just can't stand occupiers. Now on the other hand, I know plenty of American soldiers. While somem of them are just idiots who learned war from video games, most are doing it to help and are good guys, just like the other guys. I would hope one day the politicians are made to fight, rather than the others. I wish both sides come to a conclusion and stop the war. Afghanistan has seen constant war since 1970s. 80% of my family was killed by Soviets/Communists and later Mujahedeen in the civil war (house was hit with rockets daily) but I forgive them for the sake of peace.

May 21, 2010 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  38. brown

We need to leave Afghanistan today. They have not earned the right to walk among us.

May 21, 2010 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Angela

I wish there were more articles like this written for all soldiers who have given their lives for our freedom. I am thankful to have a small window into who they were and not just another report of another soldier who died at the hands of radicals. In the future perhaps someone can proof the article prior to posting it as there were many inaccuracies and misspellings. These soldiers and their families deserve to be treated with the respect and taking five minutes to proof your work is a very small step in showing they deserve to have their story told.

May 21, 2010 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  40. D

I am also in the military and am so appalled right now. I apologize to the families and friends of these soldiers. I can’t believe how selfish people can be and am just floored by some of these comments. Breaks my heart.

May 21, 2010 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Joe

I knew LTC Bartz, LTC Belkofer, and COL Parker. This was a tragic event and each one should be remembered. It does not matter that COL parker was Canadian. Who cares what the Canadian news reports or does not report? COL Parker was in the same convoy with American Soldiers and putting his life in the same danger. As far as I am concerned, he was a SOLDIER and deserves better than some of the comments from my fellow Americans. GOD BLESS all five of the departed Soldiers.

May 21, 2010 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Army wife

there were a total of 6 soilders that didnt make it that day!!!

May 22, 2010 at 3:43 am | Report abuse |
  42. JJMM

We were friends with one of the fallen. Everyone should get to know these men - know what they stood for, and why they served. Too many reside now in this country ignorant of why soldiers fight for freedom, ignorant of America's greatness, Her history. These men lived as we all should - in a way that serves others, that glorifies family, country, and a greater power. There is NO greater friend that the one who will lay their life down for you. This includes these men - and their families who also now suffer the burden of this sacrifice. My heart breaks today for our friend - please, Americans, STAND UP for this country - if I can be even half the person these men were, I know I will have lived a great life. God bless these men and their families at this difficult time. - an Army wife

May 21, 2010 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Meg

Proofreading would be nice once in a while... There were several grammar mistakes, misspelled words, punctuation mistakes (especially regarding quotation marks) and facts that were wrong!

May 21, 2010 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Andy

What the hell people? Why are we even arguing about US and Canada? FIVE brave men were killed, including two colonel's and two Lt Colonel's. Who cares what army this, what army that? Men have died fighting for freedom. The points of the replies should be for that and for those men families. Semper Fi and RIP.

May 21, 2010 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  45. April

I am very sorry for the families left behind. Rest in peace and thank you.

May 21, 2010 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Dan in Lafayette,IN

Hamed, we went into Afghanistan to bring justice for 9/11 and we stayed to free Afghanistan from the oppression and terror that the Taliban rule has brought to the Afghan people. As for Iraq, Bush may have had other motives to rid Iraq from Saddam's rule over the Iraqis and the Iraqi people had given the justice they deserve with the death of Saddam. And now the Iraqi people have a say in who they want to rule and how they should be governed. But one thing is for sure, all people who kill others and terrorize their people for power and control will be handed God's judgment and in the end will burn in hell! God does not favor anyone and will bring justice for all people who are being killed and/or terrorized by the Taliban or any other extremist!

May 21, 2010 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Daniel

We went to Afghanistan to help build the American Anglo-French Empire which at least some right-wing thugs hope to include Iran along with Iraq and Pakistan just as the Russians went there to save a tottering Communist regime 30 years ago.

May 21, 2010 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
      • A. Veteran

UBL couldn't have said it better himself...I think you have great potential to be the next Taliban spokesman...can you grow a long beard?

May 21, 2010 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  47. therapy

the profiles are incomplete and in denial. what were their expensive salaires and how many terrorists did they kill before they were reduced to mush in a 5-gallon bucket? general george washington called the "town destroyer" by the iroquois confederation in 1779 never shared the delusional aspirations of modern military bureaucrats like these expensive pretty boys in uniform and phony soldiers.

May 21, 2010 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  48. JACKSON

Five of our best, now laid to rest. May God Bless Each of Them and hold their loved ones in his arms. They died for me and you and our great county. No other sacrifice is larger. I will, forever, be indebted to these warriors.

May 21, 2010 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Acroyear

My respects and condolences to the families and to our American brothers in arms.

To my fellow Canadians trying to use this as some forum about how we are or are not appreciated? Got somewhere else...this is NOT the place. And it's CNN? Who cares?

I've been in that giant open air toilet called Afghanistan and I've seen how the American soldiers/sailors/marines/airmen treat our troops...with a great deal of respect and a good deal of good natured fun...as we do them.

It's there opinions I respect, not those of some narrow minded reports trying to peddle product to the public.

May 21, 2010 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  50. prospero

absolutely nothing to do there as well as in Iraq.

May 21, 2010 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  51. IT1(SW)

I recently completed a yr long tour in Afghanistan and the most important thing I brought back home with me was the feeling of knowing I had brothers in other services doing what they do best and making a difference. My condolences go out to all the families who've lost a love one during OUR war on Terrorism...

May 21, 2010 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  52. ANTI WAR

When you sign up for the army, you give away your peace of mind, your soul and all your morals. Expect death as the worst outcome and PTSD at the least. There is nothing honerable about a soldier or war itself. There is no need to be in other countries. Protect our borders and that's all that is necessary. Look at Canada as a prime example of a country that minds its own d a m n business!

May 21, 2010 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Acroyear

Pardon me bub...but we ARE there too...I have family there now and served my own time there. The Taliban supported, help finance, and aided Al Queda in their attack on your home land, which also killed some 60 Canadians. We might not always agree with our Yank brothers when you get yourselves into a mess, but if you think we'd just sit idly by and let some murdering monsters sneak up stab you in the back and then "just mind our own business" then you got more to learn about us then THEY do.

May 21, 2010 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Daniel

You hit the nail on the head! If our own country would mind it's own business,we'd all be better off despite all this right-wing bla-bla-bla to the contrary and let Britain and France build their own empire like thet did 100 years ago.

May 21, 2010 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • JJMM

Well, whose going to protect those borders? Who is protecting you NOW, so that you don't necessarily have to line up at the border this very minute w/ tanks and guns to repel hoardes these terrorists? It's THESE guys. And I'm sorry, but there IS honor in that!!

May 21, 2010 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jim

Yeah, just like the terrorists did on 9/11. Or the Taliban who throw acid in the faces of girls who dare go to school. How soon we forget what we are fighting for and why,.

May 23, 2010 at 11:42 pm | Report abuse |
  53. COL Kurtz

Oh you Canadians. I wish we were at war with you instead of Afghanistan and Iraq.

May 21, 2010 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • RPM

Yah we're just to damn nice and polite!

May 21, 2010 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rod

After wading through most of the stupid comments about Canadian sacrifice versus that of Americas I come to this the most infantile offensive comment I have seen in years. We fight together, and die together, we should be proud of the work we are doing together. Read the comments by service members and their families they all respect the contributions of BOTH countries
      RIP and god bless

May 24, 2010 at 2:42 am | Report abuse |
  54. RPM

As a Canadian I do not support the other negative Canadian comments on this post. As stated, CNN is an American news channel and as such they reserve the right to report on whomever they like. I am not offended in the least by not reporting on our service member. Stop the political banter and take your negativity elsewhere.....1, 5, 1000 whos counting? The sum is tragic for every family of a service member killed in the service of their country regardless.

As for the actual numbers of troops lost by various countries (the US leads

May 21, 2010 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Reaper 06

RPM,

Well put! I'm glad that not all Canadians think like the ones posting such hatred earlier in this blog. I like to think that the U.S. and Canada have a healthy and vibrant relationship. I have complete respect for all that Canadians do for the fight in Afghanistan.

May 21, 2010 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  55. melissalynn90

Its always very tragic to hear when the Army loses on of it own, but 5 at once is just heartbreaking. I am scheduled to leave for Kabul in February, and not only does it spark fear for whats waiting for my unit when we deploy over there, but it sparks the drive to want to go there amd be the best damn soldier over there to honor these fallen soldiers. My heart goes out to their families and to every man or woman willing to take these risks to fight for america. God bless us all.

May 21, 2010 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  56. BM

Not to discredit in any way the 1000 Americans killed as compared to the 140 Canadians, but if you take the ratio of population between the two countries as 10 to 1, we are at the same level. Many of us "up here" view Canada and the US as part of a North American family. Sometimes there are disputes, but we always recognize that we respect and support each other.

May 21, 2010 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  57. John C.

Dear Hamed: I only hope and pray that you are kidding with your moronic comment. I hope that you can forgive yourself for making those comments....I know I have forgiven you. Now perhaps between you and I we can get the rest of this world to forgive and forget.

May 21, 2010 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Daniel

I didn't see one person blogging in here to remember the Russians and how they too died in Afghanistan.As the right-wing news media puts it,the Russians came to conquer whereas the NATO forces came to liberate that country.But in fact,neither case is true.

May 21, 2010 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • ANTI WAR

I'm friends with Afghani youths living here in Irvine. You are incorrect. The Russians DID come to conqueor and were driven away and out of the country. We are, in fact, trying to implement democracy NOT take over the country like the Russian's feeble and stupid attempts.

May 21, 2010 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Afghan guy

Now if we can remember the 2 dozen Afghans that died along with them?

May 21, 2010 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  60. James

Waste of life. Leave afghanistan before more families have to deal with the death of a loved one. What the hell are we doing there anyways?

May 21, 2010 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Daniel

We are there to help the United States,Great Britain and France build their Middle Eastern empire and yes it is a waste of life since we,like the Russians had in the past,a moral obligation to vacate that country and let the Afghans determine their own future.

May 21, 2010 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sean

I guess you were born after 2001...but it's ok since you will learn about this in History class in a few years

Be a good boy and go back to your video game...

May 21, 2010 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Scott

As a Canadian, I'm a little saddened by the vitriol of some of my fellow citizens on this board. Why does a tragic event like this one have to degenerate into name-calling?

May 21, 2010 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  62. John C.

As a proud ex member of the Canadian Armed Forces I would like to provide my thoughts and prayers to each member of their respective services be it American, Canadian, Australian, British, and all the rest of them. Yes as Canadians we have lost upwards of 142 proud members of our military, but so have a lot more countries. Please remember we have not just lost citizens, we have lost sons and daughters, husbands and wives, but much more importantly we have lost fathers and mothers. All that remains are tears and memories of these incredible people who have paid the ultimate sacrifice in behalf of their country. Please my fellow Canadians hold your head up high and please be proud of our military, but always remember that we are not in this battle together.....look to the south of us and you will see a great country with incredible people fighting side by side with us.

May 21, 2010 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Russ

Adam, you're an idiot.

May 21, 2010 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Adam

We remember the lives lost in Afghanistan and pray on them that the Afghans get respite from American invasion and the Americans get respite from threat to its people due to American assist of Israeli oppression on the Muslims of Palestine. You'd think its warped logic. But that is the root cause of these wars. If Palestinian issue was resolved.... and oppression against Muslims by Judeo Christian forces stop, the most unhappy people will be the evil doers who thrive on war. Happy will be the world's one billion Muslims, plus one billion or so Christians and a few Jews. The rest will also be living in peace. Our leaders and the press should work to solve these issues and not just spend time in remembering and applauding soldiers that die in a futile war. The soldiers and the bomber both died in vain. They are both in hellfire. Why both? This is because the soldiers went there with intention to kill and the Afghans that died killing the soldiers had also evil intention to kill. Both therefore are in hellfire.

May 21, 2010 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • ann brown

I would be shaking in my shoes if i were you.
      Read Your bible
      Hell is for the unbelivers Not our soldiers who risk there lives.
      It is scary to think there are people like you in this world like you.
      Your day is coming and you had better get ready

May 21, 2010 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sean

A diatribe from a clearly disturbed individual...now that you have said your peace you may go back to the fantasy world you live in

May 21, 2010 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Daniel

Adam you're right,except that I call this an obscene war instead of a futile one due to the simple fact that we don't need to fight this war except to put money in the pockets of the war profiteers and promote the careers of right-wing politicians.

May 21, 2010 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  65. tony russo

They should blame pakistan for their deaths, the pakistani gets all the money from us and dont even do anything about it.

May 21, 2010 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
  66. SJFNJ

This saddens me greatly. Godbless these men and their families..

May 21, 2010 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • SJFNJ

God bless*

May 21, 2010 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Michele

The Canadian isn't mentioned because he was a civilian contractor, not a soldier. The US does not seem to recognize that these people are putting their lives on the line for this country and deserve to be honored for giving the greatest gift of all, their lives.

May 21, 2010 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Roger Blatto

Contractor? He was the highest ranking Canadian soldier to be killed in Afghanistan since 2002. "A suicide attack on a NATO convoy in Kabul Tuesday claimed the life of a Canadian colonel, the highest-ranking Canadian officer to be killed in Afghanistan, the Canadian defense ministry said.

Colonel Geoff Parker, 42, was among 18 people killed when a suicide bomber detonated an explosives laden car in the center of Kabul during rush hour, the ministry said.

"Task Force Kandahar has confirmed that one Canadian Forces member was killed today along with five US soldiers during a suicide attack in Kabul," a defense ministry spokesman said.

Parker, who was in Kabul as part of a NATO team preparing for an upcoming mission, was the highest-ranking Canadian soldier to be killed in AFghanistan since 2002.

A dozen Afghan civilians, most of them riding a bus, were also killed in the blast on a crowded street near the Afghan parliament.

Parker's death brings the number of Canadian casualties in Afghanistan to 145 soldiers. A senior diplomat and an aid worker were also killed.

Canada currently has 2,800 troops in Kandahar routing insurgents as part of the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force. They are scheduled to return home next year."

May 21, 2010 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jennifer

Hey Michele get your fact straight,. The Canadian, Col. Geoff Parker, 42, is the highest-ranking member of the Canadian Forces to die in Afghanistan since the Canadian mission began in 2002,

May 21, 2010 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gabriella

Michele – make sure you have your facts straight before you write something. Colonel Parker was the highest ranking Canadian solider killed in Afghanistan and he leaves behind a wife and 2 young children. It is not only the American military that is sacrificing their young men and women to bring peace to a very unstable area of the world.

May 21, 2010 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • CanadianSoldierGoingIn2011

Actually he was not a contractor. He was still in the Canadian Forces, get your facts straight. We had a brief on it because he was the highest rank currently serving in the Forces to die in the Afghan mission.

As for my ignorant fellow Canadians, we don't mention the names of our American, British, Dutch, French, German, Polish, etc service member names on CTV, Global or CBC so back off. To the fellows that passed, rest easy your fight is done and we'll make sure to hit them twice as hard. Godbless your families and friends.

Truth. Duty. Integrity. Loyalty.

May 21, 2010 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  68. me

May 21, 2010 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • jl

@me

"26 US service members have died so far in May, no one remember any of the other 21 who have neen killed this month, becasue each day one soldier is getting killed so it is not a big deal, but when 5 get killed in a day all the media talk about that. All the soldiers in afghanistan are there becasue they have to, not becasue they want to, if they don't go there they will end up in Jail, you want to pray for the dead soldiers, it is too late, they are already dead so save your prayers"

Speak for yourself. I am here because I want to be, not because I have to be. I volunteered for this joint duty, indeterminate and at least a year if not more. In fact, everyone in my unit here has volunteered to be here with the exception of two officers.

May 21, 2010 at 11:53 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Aaron

No greater love than a man has but to lay down his life for another. We are not promised tomorrow, let us remember that these men died because there are evil people who want to kill us for no good reason. When the church is gone and the blood rises as high as the horses bridal at Armegeddon it will most likely be the blood of Isamic terrorists and the Taliban. Be sure of this, the wicked will not go unpunished and no murderers will inhereit the kingdom of heaven. Where the terroirsts have gone and are going there will be weeping and knashing of teeth. They will have eternity to contemplate their misdeeds. Have fun.

May 21, 2010 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  70. brian

TWO MEMBERS OF OUR family also WERE killed on 18th of may suicide bomb attack, I dont know when our country will be free from these uneducated, wild and completely stupid Taliban.

May 21, 2010 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
  71. norman m.

5 people who died for nothing...this is really gonna protect us here in usa..great war we have over there..shooting and killing some people livin in the stone age..yet they will be able to fly the new A380 thats y our soldiers have to sit there in dust dumps wondering whats the war for...

May 21, 2010 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
    • Roger Blatto

Norman, you sound like one of those guys who attends a funeral and laughs when the family is mourning. You may believe that these men died for nothing but you are a minority. The rest of us believe that these men put the freedoms we enjoy in the Western world before their own safety and families. They died heroes. What will be said of you when one day you eventually die? Likely that you were just a bitter old critic who never crossed the street to help somebody else, let alone another culture.

May 21, 2010 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
      • esteban45

Well said, Roger.

May 21, 2010 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sean

"shooting and killing some people livin in the stone age"

Interesting...those cavemen were somehow able to figure out how to fly aircraft into buildings and rig all sorts of explosive devices.

moron

May 21, 2010 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobby

well said norman, our strateegery is whats wrong, afraid that this will be another shameful attempt of few for global dominace, poor Georgians

May 21, 2010 at 10:55 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Emily

Their families are in my prayers. God be with them.

May 21, 2010 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
  73. David Kaye

I served with LTC Belkofer during his deployment in Afghanistan in 2005-06. One of the best things I can say about him is that he made life much more enjoyable for the people around him. That meant a lot to those of us who struggled with being so far from home. He was always fun to be around, even when he was bragging about Ohio State football. The world lost a great man, and his sacrifice will not be forgotten.

May 21, 2010 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  74. Irony

How would you guys feel, if AlJazeera showed the blown up bits of these guys to test the double edged sword that is 'freedom of speech' ?

May 21, 2010 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  75. tomas

i guess contractors don't count either....10 dead!

May 21, 2010 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
    • Reaper 06

Contractors do count, but their's is not a sacrafice, but a misfortune. Contractors choose to put their lives in danger for a high salary; not much valor or patriotism in that. All human life is precious and valuable, but that's not what this article is about; it's about honoring our Soldiers and Officers who go where they are ordered and fight hard for America's freedom. Contractors play an important role in the War on Terror and they are much appreciated by Soldiers serving in Iraq and Afghanistan, however, it is not the same as what our Soldiers are doing.

May 21, 2010 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Rafael Monge

These are the faces of true HEROES, those who lay their lives on the line so that others can live another day. Keep their families and loved ones in your prayers. May their souls be blessed and find peace.

May 21, 2010 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  77. Aaron

Proofread your work before publishing it when trying to honor the troops. I appreciate the thought that went into this, and fully support the idea. But there is no such thing as the "Army Accommodation Medal." The word is "Commendation," and it honestly offends me that the authors or editors didn't care enough about what they were saying to double check. Remembering and honoring these men is important. Do it right.

May 21, 2010 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
    • TMM

I wonder is the author really thought there was such a thing as an Accomodation Medal. Get it right, it isn't enough to just spell check the article...

May 21, 2010 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  78. JoAnn

God Bless these men and their families. My brother is a marine in afghanistan, and I pray god is with every one of our men and women serving all over the globe. Freedom is not free, and I am so thankful for their courage and sacrifice.

May 21, 2010 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  79. SPC Benjamin Pechacek

Alright I am sure proof-reading is part of a writers job....if you truly care about your work of course....the piece about SSG Tieman has a few errors..first of all I doubt the 28 year old joined in 1990, eight year olds dont usually get through the enlistment process, as for his Awards, he was awarded a Bronze Star with Valor device...only a bronze star is mentioned, the "V" makes a big difference, generally it signifies a significant heroric act. Another of his awards is called an Army Accomodation medal in the article...it is supposed to be the Army Commendation Medal...It is nice to have a Bio on fallen soldiers, but it would be nicer if the writer would verify and proof-read before posting...it's just the right thing to do

May 21, 2010 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
    • Jack W

Spot on. God rest the souls of these fallen heros (as well as the Canadian Colonel) and may their families find comfort and peace.

May 21, 2010 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dianne

Thanks SPC Benjamin Pechacek for your information and for serving our country.

May 21, 2010 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Guest

I took it as meaning that he decided to join (wanted to) the military when he was 8... That's how I took it.

May 21, 2010 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • rickt137

Actually Rick joined the Army in 1999, and where did you read the award for a Bronze Star with a V Device at because I have no knowledge of that, if you know something that I don't please let me know...Tks Rick's Dad..

January 6, 2011 at 8:33 am | Report abuse |
  80. theresa Murphy

God be with the families. I know God is already with these brave soldiers. I have a son on a nuclear sub. and a son who is a soldier in Afghanistan and I pray for them and all the service men and women.

May 21, 2010 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
  81. mtgloan2010

may god or allah take care and bring comfort and light to the civilians families as well as the us citizens . My Prayers are with you all.

May 21, 2010 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
    • america88

alla means god in arabic.

May 21, 2010 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Katie

Rest in Peace guys... You served your country well and will be greatly missed by all of your comrad's. My prayers and sympathies go out to the families of these two brave and talented men. Tomlinson and Tieman, you paid the ultimate price for your country and for that we will forever be greatful.

May 21, 2010 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  83. Dan

God bless these soldiers but let's not forget the Canadian soldier. Canada is fighting valiantly alongside US troops and at the request of the US government.

May 21, 2010 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
    • Roger Blatto

Actually, Canada is fighting at the request of NATO. The US troops arrived in Afghanistan many years after the British, Canadian, Polish, and South Korean troops arrived. The main reason was the focus on Iraq. Regardless, God Bless each of these soldiers and their families.

May 21, 2010 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
      • Gary Albrecht

What!
        Check your facts the US led the invasion that ousted the Taliban from power.

May 21, 2010 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
      • Jack W

Fact check – US troops led the way in. Have been there the longest, and have made up the greater bulk of all troops in country the entire time.

May 21, 2010 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
      • Sean

Unbelievable! How is it possible to be this ignorant of the facts???

May 21, 2010 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
      • Mike

You must be illiterate or historically challenged. The US began placing troops into Afghanistan before anyone else. 1999 the US placed military forces in afghanistan, 2001 NATO-ISAF placed troops in afghanistan. Maybe I'm not the brightest nor a mathatician but where I am from and was taught in school, 1999 comes before 2001. I'm just saying.

May 22, 2010 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  84. C. May

My prayers are with you and your families.

May 21, 2010 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
  85. R Meade

Prayers sent to family and friends.
    RIP and thank you service.

May 21, 2010 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
  86. Bill McInnis

What about the Canadian soldier? Should he not be remembered?

May 21, 2010 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
    • guest

sure he should. but this is an article about U.S. servicmen.

May 21, 2010 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
      • Patriotic Canadian

Doesn't matter if the story is about Americans.
        You Americans seem to have no knowledge of the Canadian troops doing all your dirty work.
        I bet you didn't even know 140 Canadians have died over there.

May 21, 2010 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
      • Jack W

Compared to 1000 Americans – that hardly qualifies as Canadians doing "all our dirty work".

May 21, 2010 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
      • kakakevin

it's the free world's dirty work

May 21, 2010 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
      • militarydude

Agreed! Maybe we should go raid Canadian forums and blogs and demand that they recognize fallen American troops. I wonder how they would feel then.

May 21, 2010 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
      • Navy Sailor

Patriotic Canadian,

140 Canadian's you should be proud. We have lost 1,068 americans just in Afghanistan. If you have the balls come and join a real military. Our lives are on the lines every day!!

May 21, 2010 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
      • Guest

Don't be a dick!

May 21, 2010 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
      • Fawad

wow, and no one cares about 100,000 civilians killed in Iraq, and numerous killed everyday and appologised for in Afghanistan. You are arguing about 1000 and 150+ professional soldiers who signed up for this task. Being a soldier means you are willing to die for the mission and i am talking about civilians.

and please dont try to hide your cold hears by pointing out to me well Taliban are kiling the civilians as well. Well in that case both the NATO and Taliban are Terrorists because both are killing the innocent civilians. AGREED?

May 21, 2010 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
      • Wanda Hawkins

Thnak you for mentioning Canadians.....everyone should be mentioned....everyone of those who have given their lives. Thank you....and thank you to our sons and daughters!

May 24, 2010 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
      • Guest

We should not get caught up in what country has more people who made the ultimate sacrifice for THEIR nation, when in reality each service member who has made the ultimate sacrifice did it for the COALITION, which contains armed servicEach country has lost Soldiers in this fight!

May 24, 2010 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • George Harrold

Yes, the Canadian should be remembered. Damn Yankee journalists don't know a damn thing outside of the U.S. A real shame!

Most Americans are so patriotic that they don't even know other countries even exist. Disgusting.
      I wouldn't want to put children through the U.S, school system because they would learn no international history, politics, geography, world affairs etc.

Need I go on?

May 21, 2010 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
      • Jack W

No need to go on. We can all see that you are an idiot.

May 21, 2010 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
      • Sean

You sir...are a tool

Show me a CBC web posting that memorializes an American lost in Afghanistan.

CNN is an AMERICAN based news organization...it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that they are going to cover stories of interest to AMERICANS

May 21, 2010 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
      • Dianne

George – you are right about the Canadian being mentioned and I hope to hell you are not living in America and making those comments. I am sick of the ex-pats coming over here where the lifestyle is so much better than their homeland and criticizing how we conduct business in our own country.

May 21, 2010 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
      • MikeyO

George, go to the CBC headline story about the Canadian Colonel that was killed and show me where it mentions one word about Americans killed in that attack. Personally, I think any loss of life in these situations is tragic, but I think it is even more tragic to have foreigners, like yourself, trolling "our" forums just looking for trouble. I would agree that the media is screwed up, but it is not just the American media.

May 21, 2010 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
      • bobby

dianne, your head is burried deep in the sand, and blind, if your teenager – than ok, tell me, what so important in Afganistan for Us, and in Iraq for that matter.

May 21, 2010 at 10:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jennifer

Hey Michele maybe you should get your facts correct, The Canadian, Col. Geoff Parker, 42, is the highest-ranking member of the Canadian Forces to die in Afghanistan since the Canadian mission began in 2002,

May 21, 2010 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • militarydude

Bill McInnis, your comment was selffish and uncalled for. Whenever a canadian or UK soldier dies in action, Americans do not go to Canadian or UK boards and forums to ask for recognition of fallen American troops. We realize that your military is quite small and rather inferior but coming here to demand recognition to makeup for your shortcomings is selffish.

May 21, 2010 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
      • Meg

militarydude, you're going too far chastizing Bill. He asked a valid question, and I see no hatred or "selfishness" in it. I agree that U.S. soldiers should be remembered on U.S. sites, but criticizing someone so vainly for asking a very general (and appropriate) question is just making Americans look bad.

May 21, 2010 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
      • bryant

Where was the demand,there was only a question asked. When I was watching the repatration ceremony on ctv.ca for the Canadian Col there was mention about the US Col, 2LtCols, the NCO and the Spec. Granted they did mess up the rank of the Spec. Don't say there is no recogination to the US casualties based on the CBC broadcast. CTV.CA is more aligned with CNN than the CBC.

May 21, 2010 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
      • Jim

Inferior??!! I was quite P.O'd at some of the ignorant posts from my fellow Canadians, but after reading this one maybe some of them have a point. Luckily I know enough Americans to know that "Military Dude" doesnt speak for the majority.
        But, for your enlightenment, Canada is a country of 36000, the US has 360000. So 2000 Canadian soldiers fighting in Afghanistan is the equivalent of 20000 US sodiers, and our 140 caualties is the equivalent of 1400 US casualties, which is not insignificant.
        In addition, if you really are a "military dude" you should learn some basic military history, such as the Canadian contribution to WW1 and WW2, which, in proportion to its population, was probably greater than the contribution of any other nation. Ande perhaps consult some mitiatry books about the Canadian Armed Forces. While small (Hey, its a small country), they are widely recognized as being extremly competant, well trained, and well equiped. It was no accident that the 2000 member Canadian contingent was placed in the fiercest war zone in Afghanistan. Remember who your friends are, military dude, and honour them as you honour your own.

May 24, 2010 at 12:01 am | Report abuse |
    • Dave Imrie

Yes he should be remembered but this article is for the 5 Americans who died. CNN does have a site that lists all casualties regardless of nationality. It is: http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2004/oef.casualties/index.html.

May 21, 2010 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mel

My son was in Iraq and he is now in Afghanistan. He is in the US Military. Never the less I believe this article should NOT have stated 'US Troops but should state just 'Troops' and should have listed the Canadian. All lives are worth talking about all because everyone is important. So YES, the Canadian Soldier should have been part of the article. Maybe someone from Canada should send the writer of the article an EMAIL expressing a collective disappointment in the omission.

May 21, 2010 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
      • Dave Imrie

I am also a proud Canadian. One point I would like to make is that, if you were to look at the Canadian press, you would see that our casualty is named and written up about in detail but it also just says that 5 Americans also died. That tends to be the way it is reported in all of the Coalition countries. Their fellow countryman or woman is written up and other nationalities are just mentioned in passing. It doesn't take away from the sacrifice that they all made but that they want to focus on their people..

May 21, 2010 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dan

As a proud Canadian, I understand this is an American board, so for all the Canadians on here ripping it for not mentioning the Canadian soldier, go to a Canadian site and I apologize the the Americans. Rest in Peace to your fallen soldiers and God Bless America and Canada and their troops.

May 21, 2010 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
      • Beanie

Dan I just want to say "well said"

May 21, 2010 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
      • Noreen

Dan...that couldn't have been said any better! May all soldiers; not matter where they are from, Rest in Peace. Bottom line, they are ALL over there working together, doing the same job...my only son included! Please just stop the bickering!

May 22, 2010 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
      • Daniel-2

I hope that you Canadians do the right thing and pull out by 2011 and maybe other countries will follow suit and this may bring about an end to this obnoxious war.

May 22, 2010 at 11:10 pm | Report abuse |
      • Meeshatori

Very well spoken. Thank you.

June 28, 2010 at 10:28 am | Report abuse |
    • FedUpInSeattle

Patriotic Canadian and Michele. We do appreciate the service and sacrifice of your soldiers and any civilian who takes up the cause. I assure you CNN did not intend any distrespect. I know from family and friends in the US services that they see the Canadians as brothers and Sisters when it comes to the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

May 21, 2010 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jack Bauer

ISAF = I Saw Americans Fight

May 21, 2010 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • bryant

You have to remember that according to CNN there is nothing above the border that separates the two countries.
      When Canada launched 2 fighter acft to intercept a commercial flight, the story was filed under Latin America.

May 21, 2010 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Butters

Umm, apparently this doesn't count as honoring, respecting, or tributing all militarymen (and women) dying in Afghanistan or Iraq.
      As for the innocent civilian deaths, I pray for the surviors of those deaths as well as they do seem to be forgotten or dismissed more readily.

May 23, 2010 at 8:33 am | Report abuse |
  87. eh

God Bless these brave men and their families.

May 21, 2010 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
  88. D. Dixon

God bless all the families these brave men left behind. My prayers are with you.

May 21, 2010 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
    • scott

these were incredibly brave individuals. I hope the Army is doing something on security as this was an incident that took the lives of 3 officers and 1 sgt. I hope the people that knew the route and timing of this convoy have been investigated

May 25, 2010 at 12:12 am | Report abuse |