May 19th, 2010

Insurgents attack Bagram Air Base

Nearly a dozen insurgents and a U.S. contractor were killed when a group launched an early morning attack on Bagram Air Base in Afghanistan on Wednesday, officials said.

Nine service members were wounded and a building received minor damages during the attack, which included rockets, small arms and grenades. Four of the slain insurgents were "intended suicide bombers," the military said.

U.S. Army spokesman Lt. Col. Clarence Count Jr. said the insurgents failed "to breach the perimeter" and were "unable to detonate their suicide vests."

"The quick defensive reaction by the Bagram security forces likely saved a lot of lives," he said.

Taliban spokesman Zabiullah Mujahid told CNN that 20 armed men wearing suicide vests stormed the base around 4 a.m. (7:30 p.m. Tuesday ET), with four them detonating at the entrances to allow the other men to move in. Mujahid said that a "major firefight" took place inside the base.

Army Specialist Christina Dion, a spokeswoman who both lives and works on the base, said personnel were ordered to bunkers when the base came under attack and were allowed to return to their huts and tents about 90 minutes later.

"We're always prepared to deal with attacks on our base," Counts said. "The response this morning was immediate."

The fighting eventually tapered off about 7:30 a.m. local time, said NATO spokesman Lt. Col Todd Breasseale.

Another Bagram spokeswoman, Maj. Virginia McCabe, could not say if flights into and out of the air base had been stopped and said that authorities are investigating how the incident started.

"Established security procedures are in place," she said, adding that personnel with "mission-essential" responsibilities were continuing to work.

Bagram is a heavily fortified base, its perimeter guarded by high fences and thick, concrete walls. Dion said she didn't believe anyone could have made their way into the main portion of the base.

Taliban fighters have lobbed rockets into the base in previous attacks.

- CNN's Adam Levine and Paula Hancocks contributed to this report.

1. dripable

That was a truly fun blog post..

October 27, 2011 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  2. tryecrot

August 28, 2011 at 8:01 am | Report abuse |
  3. Gwendolyn Thurrell

My wife and I enjoy to pay tribute to some other niche sites on the net, though they aren't linked to with us, with backlinking to all of them.

April 3, 2011 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
  4. your normal marine

After reading a bunch of these i am not surprised, you got your supports and your non supporters. You got people saying they wish death to us and you got people praying, just like any war the U.S. has been in we got supporters and non supporters. But lets just say this to the supporters thank you! and to the non supporters, you can say what you want, why? because we defend your freedoms. One of which is the freedom of speech, which you obviously support so in a way your supporting us. But take that away and i can bet you'll come crawling back wanting us to give you your rights back if ever there were a time that we didn't have them. Then even if we did establish them again, you would still go and not support us.

March 18, 2011 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
  5. kp

My husband will be leaving for Bagram in just a couple weeks. He should have been there in May but due to finishing a school and moving us to Campbell, he will catch up with the men that did arrive there in May. This will be his 4th deployment in under 7 years. Not counting the numerous field time and trips to other states to prep for these deployments.
    My husband will miss his family and we will miss him. We hate these wars and that our friends have gone and died and left behind their families. He does not want to write out his last requests every time he leaves us nor does he want to write that "Last Letter" for his children to read if something were to happen. But this is our life/burden! And he will continue to protect us ALL. And go where he is told.
    It is very unsafe to report exact details on these kind of things. It puts our soldiers in more danger and worries families needlessly most of the time. Its kind of like being on a murder investigation in the police dept. You dont give out all the details so when the murderer does give out the details or suspect is questioned and knows more than he should, we know its him....being prior law enforcement, I understand this and I am happy they dont give out all the info correctly.

I dont want to hear gory details every time I turn on the news. Just that the soldiers are ok. We dont need to hear those things. And I dont want to hear that a soldier is dead (even though I know first hand that possibility) or unnamed until next of kin notification. Because then I will jump at every knock at the door until I hear from my husband.
    As far as it being ok to "torture".... that is never ok! I hate these people as much as the next guy but We will only start stooping to their miserable levels and I never want to see my husband sink that low in his life! Religious or not, he still knows right and wrong!
    I Pray each day for all our soldiers to come home.. alive! and these wars to end.

June 21, 2010 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse |
  6. military mom

I have a son headed there in a couple of days, I am a liberal mom but I am shocked at the mentality and verbiage describing our military who defend our freedom ,if anyone deserves Admiration & Respect it's our troops constantly deployed unable to enjoy the simple pleasures in every day life( like waking up w/family) . The saying goes if you can't stand by our troops feel free to stand in front of them. For those of us that belief PLEASE PRAY FOR THE SPRITUAL WELL-BEING of ALL OUR MIITARY HERE AND ABROAD. GOD BLESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 27, 2010 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Lauryn

First of all, I think this conversation has gotten way out of hand, I don't think any of the soldiers involved in this attack need to be worried about how, those of you with opinions, feel.
    My good friend, LT Robert O'Neil Withers lost half of his leg in this attack and is now in Walter Reid Hospital in DC. I am grateful he's still with us and I'm grateful for all of you soldiers that are still there defending our freedom and our country. May Light and Peace be with you all.

May 27, 2010 at 1:35 am | Report abuse |
  8. Real American

It appears as if CNN accomplished their goal here – plenty of comments.

Show CNN what you really feel and don't comment on this nonsense. No clicks = no ad dollars.

May 26, 2010 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Hamed

Hometruth, wow you are abloutely right, you must be one smart American.

May 26, 2010 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Guest

It should be noted the the Air Force Security Forces repeled this attack. They are the ones that defended the base, and did an outstanding job in their duties keeping us that are deployed here safe!!! We are a military melting pot in the world today; we all wear the "Soldier" hat. God Bless our Airmen, Soldier's, Sailor's, and Marines. They are all in the fight one strong!

May 24, 2010 at 1:06 am | Report abuse |
  11. Dan in Lafayette,IN

May God give NATO and the coalition along with the Afghan security forces quick victory over these religious fanatics who only care about power and control over their people and kill and maim those who do not follow their ungodly strict Islamic laws! Islam will fall into the depths of hell if the Muslims do not stand up to these ungodly people!

May 23, 2010 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hometruth

Our way of living very good but is not perfect. Leave them to their own devices for God's sake. Imposed idealogies however good will not last. It has to come from within. Before out interference during cold war Afghanistan was run by a soviet lackey but was a moderate islamic state. Kabul was more close to Dubai of today. We reversed their decades of moderation by strenthening the hands of the fundamendalists. The challenge for the coalition is to leave without creating a power vacuum. It is abundantly clear the coalition cannot force a victory without inviting economic ruin on itself.

May 23, 2010 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Mr Bob

Contractors are not getting the respect they deserve, the military could not function without them. The contractors are being treated as the men comming home from Vietnam. It is a real shame. Granted they make good money but they also work 84 plus hours per week every week, away from home for several months at a time and as we see in this article they do live in harms way.

May 23, 2010 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  13. brown

Kill the focking Muslim and if your commander's get in the way, kill them too!

May 23, 2010 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  14. brown

You need to adorn the exterior walls of Bagram with the crushed skulls of the Muslim!

May 23, 2010 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Jan

Our son was recently sent there and we are thinking of all the heros who are keeping us safe. God Bless all the women and men and hope they come home soon.

May 23, 2010 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
  16. anonymous service member

This comment goes directly to "Eric" – if that's even your real name. I must say I was truly offended by your comment. How dare you predict such an un-Godly fate for those of us who are serving over here – fighting for YOUR freedom, fighting for YOUR right to run your mouth (which, I must honestly say, you didn't hesitate to PRACTICE that right). You don't have to agree with the reason we are over here (alot of people don't), but I would appreciate a little support for me doing my job. If you are an American, you should be truly ashamed of yourself. How dare you blatantly attack those who fight for you and the freedom's you are presently at home with your famiily (if your family hasn't disowned you by now) enjoying.Yes, I chose to join the Army, and yes I took an oath to defend my country – and my God, that is what I am going to do. So, I am not one to judge – I don't know what you do for a living, but I hope it's something a little more productive than bashing the military with on-line posts. Hell, I'd have more respect for you even if you were frying burgers at Mc Donald's if you would keep your mouth shut and your opinions to yourself. If I offended anyone with this post (other than Eric), I truly apologize. Just imagine putting yourself where I am right now and coming across a post like that. I didn't ask to come here. This is where my job took me. There are alot of things in life we have to do that we may or may not want to do, but if it's for the good of a cause, then that's alright with me. God bless and may all the troops come home safely. Godspeed!

May 23, 2010 at 6:00 am | Report abuse |
    • Eric

I really pity you mate. The only ones you are fighting for are the oil and drug barons that control the US government. The sooner you realise that the better for you. You American/Nato have been in Afghanistan for nine years how much safer have you made the world, in fact the world has become a very unsafe and dangerous place since the Americans unjust wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. Don't kid youself that you are making the world safer and fighting for all and sundry, your presence over there is just making the world a very unsafe place for ALL of us. WAKE UP AND GET OUT THERE BEFORE IT IS TOO LATE!!!

May 23, 2010 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Anonymous Army Officer

Well, he's more than likely not an American...save your fight for the enemy, Soldier; these mutants online are not worth your time or your energy!

May 26, 2010 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
      • USA1 Proud American

Don't yall worry. A real American can spot a two bit loser like Eric, who talk trash on a web site, and nothing more than some useless tool that ole Abe Lincoln just doesn't hear.

THE NOBLE MEN AND WOMEN OF THE UNITED STATES UNIFORMED SERVICES WILL BE RECOGNIZED FOR THEIR HEROIC AND BRAVE, ACTIONS IN THE LINE OF DUTY WHO STEADFASTLY DEFEND OUR BELOVED UNITED STATES OF AMERICA ALONG WITH ALL OF THE RIGHTS LADY LIBERTY BESTOWS ON ALL AMERICANS...

THE BRAVE MEN AND WOMEN OF THE UNITED STATES UNIFORMED SERVICES STAND TALL AND PROUD AS DO EVERY AMERICAN WHO BLEED RED WHITE N BLUE STAND ARDENTLY BEHIND THEM!

NO AID OR COMFORT TO THE ENEMY.

HEED NOT ONE WORD FROM ANY ANTI AMERICAN SLURS; I AM CENSORED FROM USE OF THE CORRECT TERMINOLOGY TO EXPLAIN EXACTLY WHAT YOU ARE PUNK ( Reference to user: "Eric" ) . QUITE LITERALLY IF I SAY HEY ERIC U D_MB F***___ H_J_ HOW BOUT THIS PREDATOR REACH OUT AND TOUCH SOMEONE, I WILL BE CENSORED.

YOU'RE THE ENEMY; AND BIG BROTHER COMIN TO GET YA, PUNK .

And Eric? Will just get deleted. Figuratively and otherwise.

GOD BLESS THE U.S. THANKS TO THE TROOPS!

NO AID OR COMFORT TO THE ENEMY.

NO AID OR COMFORT TO THE ENEMY.

NO AID OR COMFORT TO THE ENEMY.

June 15, 2010 at 3:00 am | Report abuse |
    • Georgia Marine Mother

Dear Service Member I'm not offended at all – in fact, I feel the same way. What a wasted piece of flesh like these jokers thinks is their right; but my Son is in Afghanistan right now and it is a sensitive issue for me to see crap bandied about like this on a public forum. I will respond everytime and most emphatically to defend his honor. I am a former soldier, my father served, and now my son serves his country. I am proud of these facts. I doubt any of them has ever done anything honorable or worthwhile so their understanding is limited. I doubt they were brought up to believe in the greater good and to do what is right in the face of abject evil.

May 26, 2010 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  17. viptube su

интересно и познавательно

May 22, 2010 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Rob

OMG Obama- what are you doing to our Service People??? Lets win this war next week and quit using our soldiers as sitting Ducks...

May 22, 2010 at 8:56 am | Report abuse |
    • Daniel

I have a better idea.Let's get the Karzai government and the Taliban to the negotiation table and have them hammer out a peace plan and then withdraw our troops and persuade our NATO allies to do the same.

May 22, 2010 at 9:07 am | Report abuse |
      • brown

Soon the militants will breach your base and what will you do, waive your Medal of Restraint?
        Kill the muslim or he will surely kill you. Resist the active feminization of the the US Armed Forces.

May 23, 2010 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Georgia Marine Mother

You aren't paying attention idiot – they didn't breach anything. They made a half-hearted play for attention. Their suicide bombers were killed before they could detonate their bombs. They were a rag-tag bunch of low-browed morons who were sent for one purpose only.

May 26, 2010 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Eric

For how long will the Americans and NATO cover up their failure in Afghanistan??? Very soon they will have to put their tail between their legs and run. Nine years and the Taliban are getting stronger, this attack in the "most fortified" American base proves the Taliban strength. If the Taliban were in a weak and vanguished position they wouldn't dare stage such an attack. You Americans and Nato soldiers' days are numbered. With air support you cannot win, without air support you American and Nato soldiers will simply be slaughtered by the Taliban. You are just a COWARDLY bunch of morons doing the bidding of your government which is controlled by the oil and drug barons!!!

May 22, 2010 at 3:05 am | Report abuse |
    • Daniel

You nailed it,Eric.Thr right-wing thugs in Washington are keeping this war going so that they,along with Great Britain and France can build up the American Anglo-French Empire in the Middle East and promote the political careers of these right-wing politicians and finally put money in the pockets of these war profiteers.That's why we can't get out of Afghanistan.

May 22, 2010 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
    • anonymous service member

May 23, 2010 at 6:04 am | Report abuse |
      • Eric

May 23, 2010 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
      • TLC

AMEN

May 26, 2010 at 11:36 pm | Report abuse |
      • TLC

AMEN to Anonymous service member not eric. Someone needs to pray for him.

May 26, 2010 at 11:39 pm | Report abuse |
  20. CopperBOB

USAF Security Forces killed the insurgents that got on base and near the fenceline. The Army helo's killed the remainder of them hiding out in the fields.

May 22, 2010 at 1:14 am | Report abuse |
  21. Matt

These guy's are the one's were fighting? 20 idiots wearing suicide vest, which they didn't even get a chance to blow them up before they were chopped up...Smart to attack the most heavily fortified base in Afghanistan...I would like to have heard that conversation between those Taliban retards..."Ok, Mustaffa you and your cousin Beffa, you run right at the machine guns".

May 21, 2010 at 11:57 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Minister B.

God of Almighty,King of Kings,Holy father of this university, "GOD", Our heavenly father. We are asking and praying for our lover"s one oversees fighting for the rights for all people in this world to be free to do what is right in different parts of the world to brings about more love,peace,happiness and sharing between one another and Lord we are asking you to build a fence up and all around our lover's one and soilders from differents branches of the "MILITARY" and to keep them safe from all harms and dangers. God ! If any kinds of harmful or danger comes toward any soildres GOD ALMIGHTY,detorr or destroyed it in your holy name "JESUS". LORD! LORD KEEP OUR LOVER'S ONE AND OTHER SOILDERS,IN THE PEACEFUL MILITARY FORCES SAFE ALWAYS AND BRING THEM BACK 'HOME'SAFE LIKE THEY WERE BEFORE LEAVING HOME TO GO TO HELP TO PROTECT THESE MISUNDERSTANDING COUNTRIES,BUT IN ALL COUNTRIES,GIVE THEM PEACE,LOVE,CARING AND SHARING UNDERSTANDING FROM EACH OTHER. STOPPED!!!! THE KILLINGS,OF OUR LOVER'S ONE NOW... IN JUESUS'S NAME. AMEN,AMEN AND AMEN!!! POWER IS IN HIS HOLY NAME. GOD BLESSED AMERICA AND ALL NATIONS IN THIS WORLD AND HE DO LOVES ALL OF HIS PEOPLE B/C HE MAKE EACH AND EVERYONE OF US AND WHAT HE MAKE WAS ALSO GOOD PEOPLE SO LET STARTED SHOWING MORE LOVE TOWARD EACH OTHER NO MATTER WHO WE ARE,OR WHAT PART OF THE WORLD WE ARE FROM OR RACES,LOVE IS WHAT MAKE THE WORLD GO ROUND AND ROUND IN PEACE AND HAPPINESS.. I'm hoping in peace,love,togetherness and no more hurting and killings is my prayer..... I LOVES YOU,YOU AND YOU!!!! MINISTER B.

May 21, 2010 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Lady Gigi (Mikiel)

What I’d like to know is why don’t we fly a big cargo plane loaded with pig fat or pig product of some kind and drop it on them? In the eyes of there god they would be un-holly, un-clean and would not go to heaven to get any rewards.
    I see what this Hamed person is doing – he is getting his thrills from watching you all get upset. He is not trained in the NO MIND concept. So do not react to him. Instead just sit back and watch him. You learn more from watching than reacting.
    I can also bet you that he has never had his back side handed to him by a female of 132pds either.
    My other half is at Bagram and everyone is fine. I love you Joshua Blessed Be to you and every one there.
    Blessed Be
    Lady Gigi

May 21, 2010 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rob

Pigs blood as weapons – GREAT IDEA – However, I don't believe our Islamic president Barrak Hussein Obama would go for it

May 22, 2010 at 9:00 am | Report abuse |
  24. Lady Gigi (Mikiel)

Hay – Hamed how is your job going there at CNN?

May 21, 2010 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Hamed

I wish everyone in the Bagram Air Force Base death and cornage, I love to see in CNN the burnt bodies of U.S. soldiers. hehehehehehe HA

May 21, 2010 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  26. GUEST42DAY

to anybody who have commented bashing the soldiers, marines, airmen and sailors over here. you better watch what you say. we're the ones in harms way doing what we do so you can sit in your mom's basement and talk this crap. none of you have have the guts to come over , so keep your thoughts to yourself

May 21, 2010 at 6:42 am | Report abuse |
  27. Steve

Even though attacks are inherently crappy, I see this attack as a good thing. A terrible plan that lets the taliban to be gunned down like ducks at the state fair midway, is much better than them left to their normal sneaky IED planting ways. If they were to continue these tactics it would help us immensely.

May 21, 2010 at 6:10 am | Report abuse |
  28. Guy

And Eric ,

Your a moron, feeding us that crap. Don't you read the reports and if you were here you would know what happend. What you said was highly inaccurate. And why would you say there attack was sucessful, Soldiers,Airman,Marines and others fight everyday for us, some never go back home. Yet you say this garbage. YOU ARE NOT WHAT I CALL A A AMERICAN!

May 21, 2010 at 1:55 am | Report abuse |
  29. Guy

Roger and others,

What you said was inaccurate, CNN's story was some what accurate. The suicide bombers DID get close, I don't know part of base your were on. Soldiers were injuried very close to the wire, which means they got close. This report does not list all injuries occured in this attack. Both US and Taliban are inaccurate.. I cannot say all that happend but it wasn't good. Some of our fellow servicemen will never be in the line duty again.. But as far as News goes CNN gets the most accurate report then other news stations.

May 21, 2010 at 1:47 am | Report abuse |
  30. Hamed

MichaelUSNERT! YOU COWARD CAN NOT DO KAKA, TALIBAN WILL TEACH YOU GUYS A LESSON AS DID THE VIETNAMESE IN THE 70s, Gorbachov is right, American soldiers are cowards, they don't fight face to face.

Hamed (Los Angeles)

May 20, 2010 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Daniel-2

You and Gorbachov are right.If you're Afghan,I can't really blame you for feeling the way you do.This obscene war really needs to end.Let's just forget all these mean-spirited,pro-war,hateful right-wing bloggers who just love this obscene carnage as if we somehow had a right to be there.

May 20, 2010 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Barry77

Blow it out your burqa, Hamhead!

May 21, 2010 at 12:49 am | Report abuse |
    • Georgia Marine Mother

Come to Georgia Haaaammmmhead. I'll feed you to the gators...Why aren't you over there fighting if you feel so strongly about this? The TRUTH is you are a little toady boy who can't handle his business so you lash out at the ones who can. Roy what would you know? You're just like Haaaaammmhead...a little toad boy. Hear froggy! Your legs look delicious.

May 26, 2010 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Gorbachov

I really think all the american soldiers who fight cowardly will die at the hands of the Taliban, I wish all U.S. coward soldiers death and I love to see them burn with out recognition.

Gorbachov- Moscow

May 20, 2010 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Georgia Marine Mother

It isn't cowardly to use the weapons you're given – we just have bigger guns – get therapy and get over it.

May 26, 2010 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Rachel

My sister is in Bagram for her 1st deployment and had to head to the bunker for safety she was scared but then let us know asap she was safe.....everyone they just need our support and prayers!!

May 20, 2010 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Josephine

My daughter's fiance is assigned in Bagram and he's OK. I am really scared for him and all our troops. Our prayers are for their safety. My thanks to our troops for the work they are doing. God Bless our troops. Matthew, be safe and hope to see you in 2 months. We are praying for you. Keep in touch. God bless you.

May 20, 2010 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  34. GUEST42DAY

TO ERIC....I DONT KNOW WHERE YOU GET YOUR INFO, BUT I'M ON BAGRAM AND FROM WHAT I 'VE SEEN WE TOOK CARE OF BUSINESS YESTERDAY. THE TALIBAN ARE THE ONES IN THE BODY BAGS

May 20, 2010 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  35. soilder in Afghanistan

BAGRAM AIR BASE, That is the safest place compaired to some of the locations that soldier's like myself and fellow service men/women have been. So the troops there have do their job and keep alot of people alive so kodo's to them.
    LET JUST PRAY THAT IT STAYS THAT WAY...!

May 20, 2010 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
  36. dan

I dont know what you guys are talking about. I was there fighting on the perimeter no one breeched.

May 20, 2010 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  37. Sarah Demianenko

My brother is also over there right now, I just want this stupid war to be over. That was too close to home just like probably everyone else that is over there. My brother has been in the military for 10 years and I so want him home right now. This is his second time over there and he shouldnt of had to go back over,They dont want us over there obviously as we can see from yesterday event. All they want us is not helping them, so we shouldn't help them at all. The USA thinks that we can fix every country besides us, which they should turn around and look at helping our country and not everyone else that doesn't want help and putting our soildiers at risk. And for everyone that has someone close over there dont always believe the news because they are not accuarte at all. And too all the soildiers god bless and I appreciate everythnig you guys do and too my brother I love you and cant wait for you to be home....

May 20, 2010 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
  38. ashley

my boyfriend is at bagram, I am so glad everyone is okay, cant wait for all of you to return back to us safely! We are so proud of all of you, great work!

May 20, 2010 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
  39. Marilyn

My husband is in Afghanistan. First SGT Alonzo James. Love you and pray for your safe return. My mom, your loving mother -in-law is also praying for you. Love always. Be a proud American, we are proud of you.

May 20, 2010 at 10:12 am | Report abuse |
  40. michaelUSNRET

Adm Perry made a comment that makes more and more sense to me. "kill them all, God will know his own". (it's been reinterpreted a few different ways). Those who do not act to stop senseless acts of violence are guilty as those comimitting them. Rest in Peace Corporal, Your sacrifice will not be forgotten.

May 20, 2010 at 8:48 am | Report abuse |
  41. Eleven Bravo

Bagram is basically one of the safest places to be here in Afghanistan. These dudes attacked to grab cheap headlines. In other places this happens all the time.....all the time. I have all the respect on the world for your family members at Bagram, but realize the vast.....vast majority of combat troops here look at Bagram as vacation.

May 20, 2010 at 8:12 am | Report abuse |
    • Eric

"Bagram is basically one of the safest places to be here in Afghanistan." AFTER THE TALIBAN ATTACK DEFINITELY NOT THE "SAFEST PLACE" ANYMORE!!!

May 20, 2010 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
  42. Eric

More than 45 US-NATO soldiers were killed and scores injured in the attack on Bagram airbase, on Wednesday morning, (May). According to the details, 20 Taliban attacked Bagram airbase, the largest and heavily-secured base of US-NATO in the country, with heavy and small arms in the early morning hours of Wednesday continuing till late morning hours of the day. The Taliban managed to penetrate into the airbase, armed with explosive vests grenades and heavy and small arms, four of whom carried on martyr bomb attacks, destroying the enemy military base and posts and the rest of the Mujahideen attacked the intended targets, according their tactical planning.

The operation was carried out successfully, in a preplanned and tactical way, killing and wounding dozens of US-NATO solidiers including some the top-level generals and officials as well as causing the enemy severest damages in the explosions and rocket strikes which also caused the fuel storage of the enemy to be set on fire and damaging a number of their military vehicles, Zabihullah Mujahid added.

Zabihullah indicated that 7 of the Taliban of the group of 20 carried out martyrdom operation and embraced martyrdom causing the enemy irreparable losses and damages, while the rest of 13 Taliban, after bravely fighting the enemy for about 5 hours, returned safely. Wednesday's operation has been one of the most intense, daring and successful ones since the operation al-Fath began throughout the country

May 20, 2010 at 6:41 am | Report abuse |
    • Eleven Bravo

this is hillarious. kind of like the iraq pbulic relations minister saying they were winning the war when marines weresecuring bagdhad. Think about what you posted...at the very least, why would they store feul right near the main gate? Bagram is the size of a city.

May 20, 2010 at 8:17 am | Report abuse |
      • Eric

Count the bodybags of the American/Nato soldiers coming back from Afghanistan then say to yourself "this is hillarious" . Choose to be brainwashed by the American govt. who wants to keep you in the dark and feed you crap (you happy being part of the mushroom club) only to find out years from now that thousands more young Americans died than what was officially reported as in the case of Vietnam!!! That's your choice mate!!!

May 20, 2010 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
    • Guest

HA...HAHAHAHAHAHA...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA...whew, i am tired from laughing....keep reading your comic books Eric.

May 24, 2010 at 1:18 am | Report abuse |
  43. Hometruth

I don't believe it the supposedly brave US soldiers have suss wives and relatives. Knowing that more than their fighting skills they have their kith and kin praying for mercy from god for their lives should fill them with lot of confidence.

May 20, 2010 at 6:39 am | Report abuse |
  44. GUARDIAN

I am here at Bagram and am thankful for my saefty as well as all the others. I just feel that it is terrible to get a call from the Taliban just because they need the media attention to help their cause. Has the media weighted their moral obligation to vs the right to cover events. I'm not saying that they shoild not cover events, but we need to find a common ground. By cover the event we are actually giving the Taliban the coverage and attention that they want. I would hate to see the American media to have the same moral standard as ALJAZEERA. Really listen to the report and take the inhuries and deaths out. The guy basically told her we need you to cover this to further our case. How many more attacks will have to happend before we wake up.God bless us all and thank you for your support

May 20, 2010 at 2:16 am | Report abuse |
  45. ahmad naser

I hope all US soldiers and all afghan civilians be safe. Hopefully US will train afghan troops fast and leave afghanistan as soon as possible. The more they stay here, the more insurgency grows. Civilians who lost their dear ones, began to cooperate with Taliban. That's the main reason that the number of US casualties is increasing and going up each year.

Have great day!

May 20, 2010 at 1:37 am | Report abuse |
  46. Wife of soldier

Thank god you are all safe! My husband is there now and I pray for all of you everyday! May god keep you safe and thank you for all you do!

May 20, 2010 at 12:54 am | Report abuse |
  47. Pablo

Pray for my sister she is at this base. Thank God she survived

May 19, 2010 at 10:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hometruth

That's loser talk Pablo. Pray that she does her duty best to her skills and training. Pray that they achieve their goal.

May 20, 2010 at 6:49 am | Report abuse |
  48. Jay

The twin tower attacks rightfully extracted a retaliation from the US. Al qaeeda is a splintered force today thanks to the coalition in Afghanistan. Alqaeeda's ability to inflict large scale murder emanating from Afghanistan is significantly reduced. The time has come for taking stock of the situation and seriously work for lasting peace in Afghanistan. Efforts should be increased in home security. UN should be involved as quickly as possible in the ground in Afghanistan. There will be more chaos in Afghanistan if the coalition withdraws without a neutral force like the UN on the ground.

May 19, 2010 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
  49. JoeAnn

I must say I have to agree with everyone else .My son is on that base and I spoke with him this morning you people need to stop playing it up to sell the news .I would have been really upset and in hysterics if I hadn't already spoken to him. But I did get a lot of calls from his. Brothers and sister and grandfather who is 80.and almost had a stroke when he heard it .so stop lying !!!! Oh and I bet you edit this

May 19, 2010 at 8:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Traci

Thank you for you post! I posted one similar. My son is also on the same base and when I woke up to the tv news I freaked. I leave my tv on 24/7 when possible and have taught myself to wake up to the words Afghanistan or Bagram. Please read my post and let me know if it's appropiate or not. It sounds stupid but it's my true feelings. Thanks for your support and keep in touch. Never know. Our children may be in the same unit. My email is tfurlong13@gmail.com. All of us need to stay close for our children. Thanks again for your support! and Thank you to your son for his services. Love Traci

May 19, 2010 at 10:20 pm | Report abuse |
      • ann

Traci, this is meant to help you-turn off the TV-my husband is on his 3rd deployment in under 5 years, we have 3 babies 5 , 3 and 1 (typical military I guess, haha)-honestly your worry does not help but of course your prayers do. Knowing what is going on via the media really is not necessary to fully support our troops- Thank you for your service on the homefront and all those spouses, parents, children who are waiting-keep the prayers going! Thank you service members from every branch and rank and in whatever capacity you serve!!

May 19, 2010 at 11:16 pm | Report abuse |
  50. D.R. Williams

It makes me proud to know that my fellow servicemen are out there doing their jobs regardless of the situation. The quick response of the force is just another example of just how good our people in uniform truly are!

May 19, 2010 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Traci

Amen!!! Couldn't have said it better myself

May 19, 2010 at 10:23 pm | Report abuse |
  51. someone

honestly.... i dont know why you are all analyzing where cnn is getting their information from who really cares. What you all SHOULD be doing is praying for our soldiers and thanking them for serving our country which most of you are clearly NOT doing. They are absolutely not allowed to tell you all exactly what happened for the security of our men and women serving there so appreciate all that they do and who the hell cares where cnn gets their information all I'm worried about is my husbands safety as he is in bagram... Get it together people!

May 19, 2010 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse |
  52. morgan

my uncle was in this war zone !!! I was sooo sad when i heard that MY UNCLE was in this big sucide bomb attack ... but my family and i have talked to him today and he said it was crazy , scary and that all them there were nuts for crring bombs on themselfs . but really if ur loved 1 was in this all that stuff ,,, all that really matteres if that if they did not die then our hevenly god said it was just not their time all will not be for a very very long time we all hope MAY ALL PRAYERS BE BLESSED.. AND TO ALL WHO HAVE PEOPLE IN THIS WAR TO BE BLESSED AND TO BE SOOO SAFE - LOVE,Morgan

May 19, 2010 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Dan in Lafayette,IN

Hamed should be tracked down and thrown out of the country. AND CNN HOW CAN YOU POST HIS COMMENT AND NOT POST MINE ON OTHER BLOG.

May 19, 2010 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Voice of Reason

Hamed, you are so full of hate, maybe you should go back to Afghanistan. I think there might be a suicide vest with your name on it. Maybe then, when you are sitting with your 72 virgins, you will be happier. Oh wait, you are too much of a coward to do that so you are going to sit in beautiful LA and look like a full saying stuff like that.

Gorbachov, your soldiers were not brave. they were drunk, and they were inhumanly cruel, and they lost because they were also pretty stupid, especially when they were drunk.

CNN, i think i foresee another career option for your reporter there. Maybe next time she gets one of these personal wake up calls, she can ask the insurgents if they will hire her as a spokewoman. God knows they need help, especially when it comes of women issues!

Everyone else, that base is so big, so don't worry if your loved ones are there. I already emailed mine and he replied right back reassuring me that everything was fine. He was a little upset that it woke him up from a good dream. Have faith and as long as those brave Warriors at the ECP continue to do a good job, the rest will be as save as anyone is going to be in Afghanistan. Believe me, all of those there in that country are well aware of the dangers, and still willing to go there. That is what we need to praise, and be thankful to them for.

May 19, 2010 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Gorbachov

U.S. soldiers are very coward compare to Russian solders, hence if the Russian had lost, how would the Americans win?
    Think about it deeply!!!!

May 19, 2010 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • ann

in english, it would be cowardly instead of coward

May 19, 2010 at 11:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Daniel-2

The Russians didn't lose the war,but it was fought to a draw and then you decided to withdraw from that war in 1988.

May 20, 2010 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Hamed

TO MOM OF BAGRAM SOLDIER! I WISH YOUR SON'S BURN BODY SHOW UP IN YOUR FORNT LAWN. YOU ARE SENDING YOUR COWARD SON TO FIGHT. I WISH HIM IN PEACES AND IN A COFFIN IN YOUR FRONT LAWN. LOL
    HAMED (LOS ANGELES)

May 19, 2010 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Former Marine

Now, Hamed, that is just rude. In fact, it is rude and ignorant. All that boy did was sign a piece of paper, thinking he was going to defend his country, and all of a sudden he's in a foreign country fighting someone else's war. So let me reverse the tables on you "Hamed." I hope we just decide to cut our losses with the Taliban Forces in Afghanistan, and create another Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Teach these Taliban that they should have surrendered to a more powerful fighting force a long time ago, and have reduced the entire country into a glass parking lot. Yeah, doesn't feel good to hear that someone wants all your friends or family dead. Next time you want to make a rude statement like that, remember, there are two sides to every coin, and just because you're only seeing your side doesn't make anyone else's wrong.

And Gorbachov, you're an idiot. The Russians lost because the Taliban had our help. The Americans kicked the Russians out of Afghanistan. Who do you think trained them and gave them Stinger Missile Launchers to drop the Hinds right out of the sky, America did. So, Russia kinda got pushed out by America. You're welcome idiot.

May 19, 2010 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
      • Daniel-2

The fact is,that the Americans along with the Taliban never "kicked the Russians out of Afghanistan".What actually happened was the simple decision made by Mikhail Gorbachev in 1988 to unilaterally withdraw all the Russian armed forces by Feb.15,1989.The Taliban fought another three years along with their allies to finally bring down the Communist government and then take over Afghanistan.

May 20, 2010 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
      • Jessica

I'm tired of waking up and getting on CNN just to be lied to. Many of my friends, people who I consider brothers and sisters are in Afghanistan fighting a war that isn't their's to fight. Coming home on leave unable to even talk about the truths of what truly is goign on over seas. These people are my age, eighteen and nineteen and twenty. I support my friends, brothers, troops, and people who believe in something bigger than themselves. At least THEY are fighting for something they believe in while you ignorant inbred rednecks are sitting around saying all kind's of half truths because you think YOUR voice matters. Well it doesn't, unless you have something to say that's worth listening to. Otherwise, shut up and try and do something for our troops that is worthwhie. The media has been capped by th government on these wars, if you haven't noticed. When are we going to wake up and realize that if we don't start pushing them now we will never know about what's truly going on in Iraq and Afghanistan for years to come. Use your words for good, not for blasphemies and half-truths.

Obama was put into office after a man that had no more brains than a 5 year old ruined our nation from it's toes to it's head. Give him a break.

June 2, 2010 at 8:53 am | Report abuse |
    • mom of bagram soldier

Don't worry. I don't think Hamed is actually Hamed from Los Angeles. I think it is someone trying to be outrageous on the internet and I don't take it seriously.

May 19, 2010 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
      • anonymous service member

Good for you! Please don't take anything from a guy named "Hamhead" to heart. And just so you know, I'm currently in Bagram myself. I know what it's like here. I am truly appalled by Hamhead's outrageous comment. Oh... one other fact... I am from Los Angeles and have NEVER come across any Hamhead's in L.A. He's just some chocolate starfish trying to get a response, I'm sure. And believe you me, I already sent a reply back to him. Stay strong. I'm sure your son is just fine. <>

May 23, 2010 at 6:48 am | Report abuse |
    • SECURITY FORCES

Hamed go blow yourself up in a bath tub full of your gay buddies and tell me how many virgins you count.

May 20, 2010 at 11:54 pm | Report abuse |
      • SF UNITED!!!!!!

SECURITY FORCES

I am also a SF member.. i actually just left there.. worked ECP-1... And i just wanna thank all my Brothers and Sisters fighting in this war and all the other wars.. I wish i could have been there and faught next to you all! THE MEDIA NEEDS TO GET OUT OF OUR BUSINESS!!! I am very greatful to hear about what happened, (not happy that it happened) but the media needs to learn what OPSEC and INFOSEC actually is! with all of these stories floating around on the news... its only hurting us! in return hurts our loved ones back home! GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!😀

May 21, 2010 at 2:08 am | Report abuse |
    • SF UNITED!!!!!!

Hamed (Los Angeles).. hmm.. los angeles huh?? well if American Soldiers are cowards and horrible ppl.. Get the hell out of our country! We are here to fight for our country and help out others.. so if you cant support that.. then leave!

May 21, 2010 at 2:14 am | Report abuse |
      • Daniel

What you mean by helping others is helping Great and France build a Middle Eastern empire.

May 21, 2010 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve

Don't entertain Hamed's rant. He is a 14 yr old pimply face chunky kid who gets put in his locker at school and likes to take out his frustration on blogs.

May 21, 2010 at 5:57 am | Report abuse |
    • anonymous service member

Hamhead... first of all, if you are going to place a post in English, let me suggest you use "spell check" prior to posting. Your poor English reflects your genuine stupidity in the things you said to "Mom of Bagram soldier". You are truly an idiot. Pathetic. May you burn in hell eternally for saying such evil things to a woman you don't even know. What did she ever do to you? She is supporting her son at a time of war. You are probably a disgrace to your own family. What have you done with your life??? Other than post poorly written insults to a service members mother. WOW!!!! That's really something to be proud of.

May 23, 2010 at 6:33 am | Report abuse |
  57. Hamed

CNN AND OTHER NEWS ARE THE MOUTH PIECE OF THE NASTY JEWS.

May 19, 2010 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Heather Lane

I was there about 200 meters from it, the news it pretty accurate although i am not sure where that video is from. yes the taliban is picking things up here so we just need to be more alert

May 19, 2010 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Daniel-2

Until we elect someone with moral principles and an aversion to bloodshed to the presidency and is willing to ignore the right-wing thugs dictating our foreign policy and find a way to peace,this carnage will only continue.

May 19, 2010 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  60. mom of Bagram soldier

Let me clear it up for you. I talked to my soldier who was fighting this battle on the base just a few hours ago. He and all his fellow soldiers, including the majority of non combat personnel in the bunkers, are all alive and well. A few injuries occured to our troops, but they are all okay. NONE of the Taliban fighters are okay...get my meaning? These Taliban did accomplish the usual objective of their mission...to die. They came to die, and we obliged them. We didn't die...they did. Does everyone understand that when CNN tries to be not only neutral in the reporting of world news, but goes so far as to legitimize a group like the Taliban and show their "human" side by reporting their apologetic phone calls, it actually delegitimizes them (CNN). Atia Abawi sure seemed flattered by her own "importance" – according to the noble Taliban caller. Also, she did get some things wrong, but she insists that the Taliban was "spot on". Problem – how could she possibly know that or say it? Much of what she reported is not accurate based on what my son saw for himself – not that the troops rely on CNN to tell them what happened in front of their own eyes. She could say that the Taliban is showing that they "can" attack high profile targets, but she couldn't bring herself to say that they died and killed none of their enemies in the process.

May 19, 2010 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Wife of a Soldier

My Husband is at the Bagram Base as well and I am a worried spouse. I pray for safety of all our Troops. This is what's most important. Prayer needs to go out for all the families that have loved ones deployed. I was a nervous wreck until I received a phone call from my husband assuring me he was ok. Thank You Jesus! Please CNN put out the correct information so other terrified family members can have peace about this situation until they hear from their loved ones.

May 19, 2010 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  62. simplefact

I don't believe in religions but I support our troops/allies, McChrystal, and Obama 100%!

Sock these MFs/Taliban hard! I'm proud of you guys!🙂

May 19, 2010 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Nicole

I just wanna say that my brother is at the Bagram Base. The most important part is the safety of our troops. We need to remember that they are what's important. I don't like the fact that CNN is making it sound like the Taliban is all nice either with that stupid phone call this morning but its already said and done nothing is going to change that. I don't see the point in dogging on other people's religion in this situation as some of you have done because just because someone is Muslim it doesn't mean they are bad people. As far as the report not being accurate I don't think we should know every bit of all the details. The media reports way to much anyway. Sometimes things have to be told a little diffrent in order to try and keep the troops safe. All in all everyone needs to stop gripping and complaining and take the time to pray for the families that haven't heard from there loved one, and for the families that have lost someone. Prayer also needs to go to the families that have heard good about there loved one because at the end of they day they are still there fighting and doing what none of us had the courage to do. The men and women over there or at least my brother truely believes in what he is doing and wants to make a difference in this world. After reading all the negetivity from people sometimes I wonder why he is willing to give his life for everyone else considering half the people don't care or are just self observed in there own world. Not everything is about you or us. This world exists outside of America and your nice cozy life..

May 19, 2010 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bunny

to HAMED..U R A FOOL...COME OVER HERE AND SAY THAT!!!!!

May 24, 2010 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • TLC

THANK YOU NICHOLE. I too have a brother there, and have been sitting here reading all of this for the first time on this site. Amazed at how even on a site people are at war with one another, like it's all about them.Then I came to you, and you absolutely took the thoughts and the words out of my mouth. Thank you for saying it like it should be said, with class dignity and pride. I too am so proud of my brother, and all of our soldiers. God bless you, and your brother , and I hope he comes home safely.

May 26, 2010 at 11:26 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Mary

Im waiting to hear from a loved one that was returning from his R & R. I pray that he is o.k and safe. Please be safe...
    From a love one in Atascocita, Tx. I Love you J.M

May 19, 2010 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Dan in Lafayette,IN

It's good to hear that we killed these cowards before they could blow themselves up along with any of our soldiers. All we need to know is that these extremists did not succeed in their mission and are now dead! Thank the Lord and God bless our troops who are doing a very noble job in freeing Afghanistan from such ungodly people! May they all burn in hell forever!

May 19, 2010 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Daryn Guarino

If the terrorists really want to score, why not set the gulf of mexico on fire. The fire will burn for days if not weeks and the flames will burn Louisiana dry.

May 19, 2010 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • TODD

You are a moron

May 19, 2010 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • InLoveWithASoldier

why is this relevant idiot?

May 20, 2010 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Chas

"Thank you for Smoking". Doesn't matter what network, anyone watching television and believe what they are seeing and hearing from a reporter in a third world country that can not manage or police itself requiring a more civlized nation to come in and force peace and diplomacy by force; without having actually been there to see for themselves should not be watching television to begin with.

May 19, 2010 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  68. jessie

Wow good job your dissing cnn you must have nothing else to do if you know the whole story why don't you say it. My husband is over there fighting and he's on bagram army base and so you think I want to read comments about how the news reported it wrong no I want to hear how it happened bc my husband can't even call me I just got a text saying he's ok and that's it so for all the army wives who got a call and know what's going on please post it so other army wives like me know!!!

May 19, 2010 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
    • guest

I'm still waiting on my phone call.. or text or email, anything

May 19, 2010 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
      • JTs Caprice

I just heard from my son, all he told us was to see CNN or MSNBC for info, he said he couldn't tell us anything...We were not even sure what base he was sent to....guess i know now...god bless all, come home safely

May 19, 2010 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Nana

My grandson is an MP at Bagram. I know he believes in his mission and is proud to serve. We do not know yet if he is safe, so we play the waiting game, as millions before us have done in wartime. Do not be deceived, America, this truly is a war and our troops need all our support. CNN, shame on you for giving any kind of kudos to the Taliaban "informant" who made hat apologetic wake-up call to your correspondent. Just what they want to hear!

May 19, 2010 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
  70. ShareFacts

No matter we like it OR not, If we want to end this conflict in Afghanistan, we have to get help from Pakistan, so they can force Afghan Taliban to get on with negotiations with USA. We have already tried alone for 9 years alone and its not working..

We will have to accept the fact that Pakistan Army / ISI will never let India get into any role in Afghanistan..because they do not want to get encircled by india from both sides..

As soon as we realize above, we can we out of this mess in Afghanistan..

May 19, 2010 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  71. THETRUE15

The cowards fight like that to all these muslims extremist do not get confused for a second we are not the russians or none of the other loosers you have fought we are the last world super power and we will get you what did you accomplish telling the world you attack a base and made fools out of yourselfs 12 24 regardless all of them are dead and nothing got accoplish you following a looser and a coward in Mullah Omar and the gost Bin Laden

May 19, 2010 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
  72. Lisa

How about being thankful that more of our soldiers were not injured or killed? There are always going to be multiple, and differing, reports immediately after an incident. I can't imagine that our troops are worried about a sound bite or photo op while the base is being attacked. And you knowwhat, as long as we are calling each other names and hurling vulgar ethinic and religious epithets at one another, we're no better than the Taliban and the garbage they spew. Maybe if we support the troops, and trust them to do their jobs, we can save a lot of second guessing and baseless criticism. JMHO.

May 19, 2010 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
    • Proud American

I agree Lisa. I just returned home (DoD civilian) from BAF-the troops don't really care to share. The risk in sharing too much can be deadly!

May 19, 2010 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
      • Airman in Afghanistan

I absolutely agree. Much like a lot of the commentors to this thread, I am in the Air Force and just returned from Bagram last month, and let's just say, even though Bagram is probably the safest of the deployed locations in Afghanistan, the rocket/mortar/insurgent attacks have definitely picked up since I was there back in 2008. And yes, because of OPSEC and INFOSEC, we need to limit our flow of information to the public. But let's continue to keep all the soldiers, sailors, airmen, marines, DOD contractors and everyone else in the AOR in our prays and hope they all come home safe.

May 20, 2010 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Chuckster

CNN is stating to lose the bubble!!! I knew it wouldn't take long before the people wised up to the biased reporting, and now good bye to the ratings cause that is all you folks care about!!!!

May 19, 2010 at 10:07 am | Report abuse |
  74. quick

CNN coverage of the world is messup,they hate anything that take gus,hard work and beliving in something grater than self.

May 19, 2010 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
  75. Mike

CNN = Jew Network.. nothing but biased reporting and Israel butt licking network!

May 19, 2010 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
    • mike

Hey, what does "kissing ass" with crazy people who want to kill themselves and all those around them.

May 19, 2010 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Afghan-born American citizen

I do agree with the Wife of a soldier. The question I would to ask Atia Abawi is what kind of a connection does she have with Taliban, how much time she had between the call and the actual attack and finally, who is she working for? Taliban or CNN?

May 19, 2010 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
  77. Nathan

Your source is the Taliban??? Congrats you are now officially 'wiki-cnn'... pathetic

May 19, 2010 at 9:42 am | Report abuse |
  78. Afghan Bound Again

No, the Taliban report was not 'spot on.' Twenty insurgents did not 'make it onto' base – they tried to breach the security perimeter at one of the gates and failed – a far cry from running 'making it onto' base, if you have ever seen the security perimeter there or at other bases and know how they operate.

BBC's video is far more accurate in describing the event. They even actually had someone in Bagram rather than 25 miles away in kabul

May 19, 2010 at 9:36 am | Report abuse |
  79. maxine jones

billie and danny mccall let us know how you are.Praying for you everyone

May 19, 2010 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
  80. Wife of a soldier

Is this video clip about an attack on the base? Because the last half was just praise for the good manners and truthfulness of the Taliban! If someone is polite, didn't lie and tried to blow several of your countrymen up, which do you think is the important issue here!

May 19, 2010 at 9:22 am | Report abuse |
    • bagram vet

the point of telling how the inaccuracy compares to the accuracy is important intel wise.....it tells, in part, that in the past they were off on numbers and stats but now hit the spot because they have more accurate and reliable sources. read between the lines a little closer in these reports and you can pick up on the smaller yet significant things.

May 19, 2010 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  81. WORRIED WIFE

LIES....TELL THE TRUTH CNN!!!! I GOT WORD THAT UR NEWS COVERAGE ON THIS MATTER IS NOT WHAT REALLY HAPPEND! MY HUSBAND IS OVER THERE.NOW SHOW SOME RESPECT AND TELL PEOPLE WHAT HAS HAPPEND...

May 19, 2010 at 9:06 am | Report abuse |
    • bagram vet

please remember (with all respect/no disrespect intended) that the last thing we want is the new to report EXACTLY what happened. it's OPSEC/INFOSEC (operational and informational security). we NEVER want them to know exactly all that we know. or maybe we don't have all the answers, but we (service members) hate it when the news report what we're doing and when....so in cases like this when they dont give the most accurate report it's okay with us over there in the AOR. people at home don't always need to know right away, even if it is your husband/son. my mother is my dependant and worries everytime i deploy so i understand the not knowing is horrible...but sometimes you knowing everything puts your loved ones in more danger. the media leeks enough as it is......let's be glad they kept some things out or didn't report "spot on"

May 19, 2010 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
      • Janet

Well said. That's something we all need to understand.

May 19, 2010 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
      • Vernita

This service person is correct. Don't ask about these things. Keep your family member safe. You may be giving someone information to kill your loved ones. My loved one is there also. Be very careful about what you ask for and what you say. They read all this also. God Bless Again.... Retired Army 27 years Mother of three and deployed three times.

May 19, 2010 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
      • Tom

You are spot on, absolutely right....please don't give out too much information for the enemy to use as 'intel'

May 19, 2010 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Iraq Paramedic

What's the matter CNN the truth to much to post, oh let me guess you got a Muslim proofing your posts now. You guys are getting as bad as the politicians.
    May GOD Bless & keep us all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 19, 2010 at 8:24 am | Report abuse |
    • simplefact

Sock these MFs/Taliban hard! I'm proud of you guys!🙂

May 19, 2010 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
      • Tom

May 19, 2010 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
      • jennifer

"Tom
        Well maybe if you had to live with being attacked you would understand religion. You don't need to highlight your atheist views with people here who believe. We would rather you just said thank you and be on your way."

My husband is a soldier, deployed and isn't religious. Being under attack doesn't change a person's belief in a deity. Also, making the statement that you don't believe in religions doesn't automatically mean you're Atheist. There are plenty of spiritual people who believe but don't adhere to any religion.

May 19, 2010 at 11:16 pm | Report abuse |
      • Akilla21

@Tom... LOL. I can't believe you just quoted Col. Jessup from a Few Good Men.

May 26, 2010 at 2:49 am | Report abuse |
    • Gilbert Arnold

Dude would you rather Fox?

May 24, 2010 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |