May 17th, 2010

Afghan plane crashes with 44 aboard

[Updated at 7:59 a.m. ET] A plane that was reported missing with 44 people on board has crashed in Afghanistan, Interior Ministry spokesman Zemarai Basharay said Monday.

The plane was carrying 38 passengers and six crew, a government official told CNN.

The plane was en route from Kunduz to Kabul, Raz Mohammad Alami of theMinistry of Transport and Civil Aviation said.

There were reports of a huge sound in the Salang Pass.

Post by:
Filed under: Daily Developments
  1. Wikaniko

Throughout the grand pattern of things you actually secure a B+ for hard work. Where exactly you actually lost me was on the details. You know, as the maxim goes, the devil is in the details... And that could not be more true at this point. Having said that, let me reveal to you what did deliver the results. Your text is incredibly powerful which is possibly why I am making an effort in order to comment. I do not make it a regular habit of doing that. 2nd, despite the fact that I can easily notice a leaps in reason you make, I am definitely not confident of just how you appear to connect your details which inturn help to make the final result. For now I shall yield to your point however hope in the near future you connect your dots better.

February 8, 2011 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Tonie Tippins

Heya! I'm at work browsing your blog from my new iphone! Just wanted to say I love reading your blog and look forward to all your posts! Keep up the excellent work!

February 1, 2011 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Uncle Bro, and Aunt Dee

We are missing Keith so much, our prayer is that somehow he has survived along with the other crew members and
    passengers. We love you, and hope to see you soon.

May 20, 2010 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
  4. FIlipino friend

Anyone can help how to find my filipino friend who was one of the passenger in the plane crash. He work in Afghanistan but his paper is illegal and the Embassy will not help him. Any Idea please please please.?

May 20, 2010 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Vernon Bennett

Johnny Bell – My Prayers for you and your family. I am praying for a miracle.

May 19, 2010 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
  6. joe M. oma

Was it shot down? they heard a bang near Salang didnt they?

May 19, 2010 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Maxine Battle

Bonita and I are staying in touch...I'm searching all over for updates...trying not to get frustrated with the lack of updates...

May 19, 2010 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  8. E. Mike Martin

Johnny....I got word yesterday. I know that it's got to be a difficult time for yall right now, I'm having a hard time dealing with this myself. My prayers go out to your family. We should all pray that Keyboy will be found alive.

May 19, 2010 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  9. John Bell

Hey, Tricia,Mrs Holloman and everyone else thats praying, thanks alot. Today is Keyboy's (Sleepy"s) birthday.

May 19, 2010 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Maxine Battle

I'd forgotten his birthday was in May Johnny. Wayne is okay – he's a fighter and we gotta believe he and the others can't get to help but help is working it's way to them. Yes, this is just day #3 and I Believe...keeping all in my prayers...

May 19, 2010 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  10. John Bell

My brother was on the plane. Please in Jesus name continue to search. Praying that he will be found alive.

May 18, 2010 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
    • Maxine Battle

Hey John, Tricia here, they'll find him and we both know he's a tough cookie. God's got him covered remember that..
      Tricia

May 18, 2010 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
    • Barbara Holloman

Johnny we are all praying for you and your family. God is in control.

May 18, 2010 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  11. Lee

I have a friend in that flight and I am still hoping for the best. I am reading some of the comments here and I am surprised at the insensitivy of the remarks of some individuals. I cannot comprehend the evil that lingers in your brains and in your hearts. I am appalled with your reactions to an event that is sure to cause distress and pain to a family member and a friend of the passengers of that plane.

May 18, 2010 at 2:32 am | Report abuse |
  12. Ajmal Ayaz

There are a lot of technology with the Afghan Government and ISAF, tracking all the flights it happened because of rain storm which started, and in are where the plain is missing is the highest mountain and the 3rd in the world and the plane is missing there. We all can pray for them

May 18, 2010 at 12:05 am | Report abuse |
  13. Ali

i wish paradise for all pasanger

May 17, 2010 at 9:12 am | Report abuse |
  14. aziz

to those ppl think this is very funny..... put your self in in this kind of sitiuation an state pray for the survivers... make fun of them....i don't think this is cool.....have a heart for others......god bless all of you....

May 17, 2010 at 8:37 am | Report abuse |
  15. Bhatti

Afghanistan needs scientific culture to survive as a responsible country. Some evil forces want it to remain vulnerable under warlords and druglords.

May 17, 2010 at 8:28 am | Report abuse |
  16. NeoZERO

So they all turned up dead just FYI.

May 17, 2010 at 8:26 am | Report abuse |
  17. ICT

What makes you believe that these countries actually have the proper technology to keep track of their aircraft during an entire flight?

May 17, 2010 at 8:17 am | Report abuse |
  18. Bruno Parisien

this cant happen you are suppose to have a electronic flight bag plus a tracking beacon in the black box ......

May 17, 2010 at 8:08 am | Report abuse |
  19. Mike

I have flown this flight often in Afghanistan from Herat, Kunduz and Kabul over the past few years. The Ant 24 is a tough and durable little aircraft. Let's pray for survivors.

May 17, 2010 at 8:08 am | Report abuse |
  20. big moon

i like peanut butter and fluff sandwiches

May 17, 2010 at 8:07 am | Report abuse |
  21. Joe

Maybe that Afghan pilot woman took that airplane and disappear in the very thick rain forest of the Afghan mountains.

May 17, 2010 at 7:55 am | Report abuse |
  22. Kay

A family member was suppose to be trying to fly out of Kuwait to Baghram so I'm worried.

May 17, 2010 at 7:45 am | Report abuse |
  23. NaeemMatin

This is really bad news, the road to Mazar and there is very high mountain called SALANG, which all the planes must fly very high enroute to Mazar,
    There are some foreign pilots who does not know about the SALANG that is how these kinds of accidents are taking place, in on the other hand we sure know that these are all Allah's dicision no one can change that.
    Allah bless those passengers.

May 17, 2010 at 7:40 am | Report abuse |
  24. Susan

Latest news reports confirm the plane actually crashed.

May 17, 2010 at 7:38 am | Report abuse |
  25. Brian

Today is very gray and foggy here in Kabul. Also rainy. Bad day for flying.
    (Yesterday we had a sandstorm.. )

May 17, 2010 at 7:34 am | Report abuse |
  26. JOHN DOE

UFO MIGHT TO TAKE PLANE... WHO IS CLASSIFELD GOVENMENT MEMBER KNOWLEDGE.

May 17, 2010 at 7:33 am | Report abuse |
  27. Ash

(X files theme plays)

The aliens took them.

May 17, 2010 at 7:29 am | Report abuse |
    • Susan

Yeah, that has to be it!

May 17, 2010 at 7:33 am | Report abuse |
  28. Grace

Do they know if this plane was carring Americans or not?

May 17, 2010 at 7:26 am | Report abuse |
  29. Mr. Blam Cherry

The plane is not missing, I think my neighbor has it.

May 17, 2010 at 7:23 am | Report abuse |
  30. Asif

Asif

Being an aid worker here in AFG, and having flown this very same route over the salang pass numerous times (thankfully with other carriers), its sad to hear reports of every one on board losing their lives. Its about time the Afghan government realise that receiving or buying already grounded aircrafts from russia and other countries is NOT an option and that tougher safey regulations should be imposed! Seeing smoke coming into the airplane in the back (this other private afghan airline), everyong getting panicky and the steward smiling away as if nothing is wrong is NOT NORMAL!!

May 17, 2010 at 7:23 am | Report abuse |
  31. Asif

Being an aid worker here in AFG, and having flown this very same route over the salang pass numerous times (thankfully with other carriers), its sad to hear reports of everying on board losing their lives. Its about time the Afghan government realise that receiving or buying already grounded aircrafts from russia and other countries is NOT an options and that tougher safey regulations should be imposed! Seeing smoke coming into the airplane in the back (this other private afghan airline), everyong getting panicky and the steward smiling away as if nothing is wrong is NOT NORMAL!!

May 17, 2010 at 7:18 am | Report abuse |
  32. Reshad Eshan

god safe all passengers.......

May 17, 2010 at 7:02 am | Report abuse |
  33. twotangotwo

So the minister and his deputy are their way to investigate the huge sound....what about the plane the OTHERS took?And just how are they getting there? hmnn...by foot?

May 17, 2010 at 6:57 am | Report abuse |
    • Jameel

Who Are The OTHERS?

May 17, 2010 at 7:51 am | Report abuse |
  34. Col Gregory T. Breazile, USMC

The Afghan Air Corps has sent some MI-17 Helicopters to the site to conduct a search and rescue Mission. Our command advises the Afgahn Air Corps and I am sure we will have more information soon. For more information on the Air Corps and the rescue mission visit our unit webpage. http://www.ntm-a.com

Semper Fi,
    Greg

May 17, 2010 at 6:52 am | Report abuse |
    • John Doe

Your post is a direct reflection of poor OPSEC. You would think an O-6 would know better...

May 18, 2010 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
    • Maxine Battle

Col. Breazile, has today's search been better? Yes, this is a personal request since the one american missing is not only a friend but also retired army. Keeping my prayers and hopes that he as well as others survived the crash and are found soon...
      Thanks to all for your efforts and prayers...

May 18, 2010 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
    • Barbara Holloman

I understand that the 1 American on the plane was a neighbor of mind and we are all distraught about the crash. Do you think the remains will be founded.

May 18, 2010 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Bonnie

How do I find out if my daughter was on that plane? She's a Marine....on her way to Afghanistan at the same time. Who do I call, the president??? Why can't the Marines answer that question?

May 18, 2010 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Dr.ema:-)

Wht may b da mtr,inshallah al pasngr'l b safe

May 17, 2010 at 6:44 am | Report abuse |
    • david

WHAT?!?! speak english please

May 17, 2010 at 7:06 am | Report abuse |
      • Susan

I think he meant (with proper English translation): What, may be the matter, God willing all the passengers will be safe.

May 17, 2010 at 7:31 am | Report abuse |
  36. Dr.ema:-)

Is it pasin over barmuda triangle?

May 17, 2010 at 6:43 am | Report abuse |
  37. cyril

I pray for the miracle of survival for all the passengers!

May 17, 2010 at 6:35 am | Report abuse |
  38. AtlantaReader

I'm assuming that the plane is considered missing because it's not where it it's supposed to be. Was that a rhetorical question?

May 17, 2010 at 6:32 am | Report abuse |
  39. Emilio

The OTHERS have them

May 17, 2010 at 6:29 am | Report abuse |
  40. lpdew

How does a plane come up missing?

May 17, 2010 at 6:23 am | Report abuse |
    • Kelly

Not all areas of the world have radar to track aircraft. In places such as Africa, the middle east, etc, contact with aircraft if by radio. Its quite easy to lose an aircraft.

May 17, 2010 at 8:02 am | Report abuse |