May 14th, 2010

Afghan official: Troops killed civilians

KABUL, Afghanistan - A local Afghan leader says coalition forces shot and killed civilians on Thursday night, a claim disputed by the NATO-led force in Afghanistan.

Nasrutullah Arsala, head of the provincial council of Nangahar province, told CNN on Friday that troops killed nine civilians in Kushkak, a village in the Surkh Rod district of Nangahar, in eastern Afghanistan.

The NATO-led International Security Assistance Force said Afghan and international troops traded fire with insurgents during an operation in Surkh Rod that left a Taliban sub-commander and other militants dead. The NATO-led command says evidence shows that civilians were not killed.

News of possible civilian casualties enraged locals. They staged a demonstration and tried to enter the district governor's compound. Police confronting the protesters shot and killed two civilians, Arsala said.

Civilian deaths during military operations in Afghanistan have undermined the coalition's efforts to gain support among the Afghan people. The United States and other coalition countries have been working to avoid such casualties.

Filed under: Civilian deaths
  1. AllAmerican

Whats so amusing, is over on the article of civilians killed by roadside bombs, NOT ONE of you liberal pansy MF'ers has made a SINGLE comment about the Taliban killing civilians. ABSOLUTELY AMAZING. You all make me SICK!

July 28, 2010 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  2. Abdulameer

We are not fighting a formal, uniformed army, so there is no way of telling who is a "civilian" and who is working for and with the Taliban.

May 25, 2010 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  3. "Thankful" Patriot

Let me see if I read you RIGHT.

The phrase "Freedom of Speech” has consistently been criticized in different blogs and maybe the criticism had developed from the idea that the phrase is a literal meaning of "freedom of speech." For those of criticizing, have you considered that "freedom of speech" might be just an euphuism? Freedom of Speech might be what some consider an inalienable right that would not be considered an inalienable right under the rule of the persons you seem so interested in defending. Additionally, let me read between the lines. Contrary to belief, “Not everything reported in the News is true!” PEOPLE need to stop being so gullible and believe everything said in the News. It might be hard to imagine for some, but Israel and oil are REALLY not the cause of everything bad in the World today.

May 22, 2010 at 3:45 am | Report abuse |
  4. Daniel-2

I find it quite nauseating to see people blogging in here to make excuses for what the NATO troops did and then start this right-wing mumbo-jumbo that "war is war".What about the people on the receiving end of this carnage? Do the right-wing fanatics in Washington really care? I suppose not,how disgusting!

May 19, 2010 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Alex Bosco

Why is it that you hear about these Afghan Villagers protesting only when civilians are killed by US troops?? What about the countless roadside bombs that the Taliban have placed that have killed thousands of civilians??? You dont here anyone protesting about that? Or when bombs in iraqi markets explode and hundreds of innocent civilians are killed...men...women and children. Where are the protests of the local Imam's plastered on all the newspapers?

May 19, 2010 at 8:30 am | Report abuse |
  6. "Thankful" Patriot

All,
    A few off these OFF-THE-WALL “comments” which spew mindless ranting and raving point of views legitimize a lot of comments which have previously been posted. It also reinforces why we should continue efforts to weed out these extremist / terrorist weasels. What do you think would happen if these weasels "which have many individuals in their ranks that can actually rant AND make sense" would do if left alone and able to organize without pressure from the rest of the World? Do you really believe they would leave the rest of the World alone? If you do, you’re living in a fantasy world which will pay the price, if not in your lifetime but your children’s lifetime.
    Just imagine a society in which it’s “absolutely unacceptable” to accidentally kill civilians during combat operations but not “one-word” is said when civilians, to include multiple children, are murdered during suicide bombings and their deaths are then considered acceptable collateral damage. CRAZY! You don’t have to imagine! We’ve witnessed several of these types of societies recently.
    I don’t have a crystal ball...and I don’t pretend to have all, or any, of the answers to our current state-of-affairs. But I can tell you that I support efforts to thwart these extremist anywhere and anytime so all of us may ALWAYS have the freedom to rant and rave incoherently, if we desire to do so.

May 19, 2010 at 2:01 am | Report abuse |
    • Man

Let me see if I read you right. You want to "thwart extremists" to protect our freedom of speech??? 🙂

Listen up kindergarteners - our troops are NOT in the Middle East to protect our freedom of speech or any other freedom. They are there for oil and Israel. Learn to read between the lines fast, or you'll let yourself be conned by any politician who can wave a flag.

May 19, 2010 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
      • AllAmerican

MAN, you are not only a buffoon, but ppl like you are the reason the enemy is encouraged and you undermine our own forces. YOU MAKE ME WANT TO Puke!

July 28, 2010 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  7. mmi16

The US is have some of the same problems with the Afghans that they had in Viet Nam....When the person is alive they are Al-Q or Taliban fighters, but when they are dead the are tranformed into innocent civilians.
    If the innocent civilians had genuine male attachments they would have driven both Al-Q and the Taliban from the country many years ago. I find it doubtful that they will be able to grow those attachments even with US assistance.

May 19, 2010 at 12:31 am | Report abuse |
  8. jim bush

Is everyone crazy out here. Who do you think did 911. Are you blind. Do you think for yourself or let the msm tell you. Do you let the pentagon retiree tell you? Oh brother. Listen folks. We americans are under assault. The blacks, mexicans, whites, yellows, reds, whatever, fat, skinny, gay, straight, jew, muslim, christian, athiest, all freedom loving americans and world citizens for that matter had better wise up and stop listening to the msm or your neighbor who listens to the msm because we are being psyoped to pieces. The new world order could be the smart thing to do but right now it's not because the greediest cruelest most dishonest lot of people are trying to ram it down our throats for all the wrong reasons. They are so arrogant that they tell us what they're going to do in books written from 100 to as recent as 10 years ago telling us what they're going to do, then when some of us with memories and immune to the bs blitzer, o'reilly, beck and the paid propagandist spew, call them on what they're doing, such as the vaccines, flouride, flouride is no joke. global warming hoax, ww1, ww2, and the upcoming ww3 to pit the christians against the muslims, they call us conspiracy theorists. For example Rockefeller is so full of himself, senile these days, he so stupid he writes, and I'm paraphrasing, "If people say that we are de industrializing and working against the best interests of the american people i stand guilty as charged and proud of it" If you think about he comes right out and says, "Hey, I'm so bloody rich I just confessed to treason!" Now that's rich! hahaha. Too bad I'm not making this up huh? haha. What about the things Israels leaders say, in public yet, Get this beauty, ""Our race is the Master Race. We are divine gods on this planet. We are as different from the inferior races as they are from insects. In fact, compared to our race, other races are beasts and animals, cattle at best. Other races are considered as human excrement. Our destiny is to rule over the inferior races. Our earthly kingdom will be ruled by our leader with a rod of iron. The masses will lick our feet and serve us as our slaves." Menachem Begin, former Prime Minister of Israel. There are alot worse ones than this believe it or not. I mean...crap. Then some might say, "Hey, they are really screwing us bad!" Then we are called by the msm or splc (what a joke! hahahaha) he's extremist or antisemtic. hahahhaaha. As I say, It would be funny if it weren't true. Hey, I didn't say these things. The israeli leaders say this, in public. Crapfire, I wonder what they say behind our back. hahahaaha. Anyway my point is, all of us regular folks, the ones who pay the band while they dance, the christians,jews,muslims,all folks of all walks of life working hard to take care of our own and our fellow citizens need to unite. I mean unite. Don't let the msm race bait or gay straight or muslim vs jews, don't let them divide and conquer us. Is that a deal? Good. Tell everyone you know to forgive your enemies for just a year or so, until we can get a few things done. The democrat and republican parties are ruining the world. They are selling out to the highest bidder. There can be peace. Stop fighting the wars for the elite to make even more money. If they start one more war lets agree to 1. not fight in it. 2. arrest all who start it. These guys are worth billions and still want more more more! It's insane. They must be stopped. We must all do it together. When I get mad at neocons, they say, you mean jews. No i don't. Jews are great folk. The neocons use the jews for a cover just like the bush's/clintons/obamas and the rest use christianity for a cover. Would gods chosen people warmonger like they do? I'll answer that...NO Would true christians start wars then joke about it, "Them wmd's gotta be here somewhar! yuk yuk yuk!" You know who I mean. Hey I'm writing to much. Anyway, my point is, don't let them divide and conquer us. We are in charge, it's almost time to crack the whip I think. Do not get violent. The first one to do that first will lose. It will be a momentum shift that will roll like the tide all over the other. Anyway, all you greedy billionaires out there. Please retire, get a grip. Enjoy life. Stop making millions suffer for your insane notions or crazy ancient secret society goals. You're really bored huh? loling my butt off. I better go now.. I love you all and hope everyone wakes up tomorrow and starts fresh on helping their fellow man and woman. Even start treating your pets better. They depend on your kindness too.

May 18, 2010 at 11:52 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Rayal

I have to say it, but its a bit nerve racking, but I no longer believe in religions. I use to, but no more. Mostly because so much of it is like fairy tales, make believe, twisted history, and then add in the goofy Muslim extremists with their ridiculous bombing of innocent people, and Christians with their extremist history as well, all under the name of God. Any God too, no discrimination here.

In my life time I have seen so much senseless murders and killings under the righteous name of religions that I no longer care for any of it. Catholic priests have been proven to be molesters, and the Pope remains silent....what the hell is that? Taliban throwing acid on young teen age girls, burning and blowing up schools. Al-Qaeda killing innocent people in 9/11 and in their own local markets with suicide bombs strapped to young men who are disillusioned about the world. Taliban covering their women in burqas and treating them like they were dogs. Iran killing their own citizens so their goofy dictator Ahmadinejad can stay in power, and all the extremists talking Islam and love out of one side of their mouth, and yet killing people indiscriminately and saying it is 'God's will' out of the other side.

I'm sick of it, and I hope the U.S, attacks with all guns blazing and killing every damn one of the extremists. Unbelievers..? You ignorant cavemen will never get it, and you are insuring the eventual extermination of your own people by your own religious beliefs that have not proven nothing...nothing at all.

Rock back and forth while you memorize your verses, but in the end you have condemned your innocent Islamic people and all Muslims as well.

If Muslims or Islamic followers can't police their own extremists because they're afraid, well those of us who use common sense can and will. They are a primitive religion living in the 8th century...there is no way in hell they would ever convert me even with a gun to my head. Prey on the innocent and make them your bombers....that is a horrible way to try and make people believe in your ridiculous religion. This is the modern world, and either you join the rest of us, or plan on being extinct. Not by war, but by common elimination known as survival of the fittest. Trust me when I say the extremists are not fit for human kind, that is just common sense which they have none.

May 18, 2010 at 11:01 pm | Report abuse |
  10. General Dr Bad.

OH and Adam, The VET The Cops Shot in Oregon? he Served both Marines as well as Army. His Job was lobbing Mortars into those Women and Children and Troops.

May 18, 2010 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse |
  11. General Dr Bad.

one other thing, Old Timer, How do you feel about that Midget In North Korea?
    How long you girls going to dance with Him?

May 18, 2010 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
  12. General Dr Bad.

OH and hHe Shot his WIFE in the back and the bullet went THROUGH her and also THROUGH The Baby. One Shot. With the 45 he got for a Award for serving. Did you hear what REALLY Happened to Pat Tillman?
    and there is that "WE" Thing again, What "we" ?

May 18, 2010 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
  13. General Dr Bad.

I salute you for your service semper fi, did you miss one of my Troops just snapped in america and shot his wife and baby in Alaska then killed Him self? another got in a shoot out witgh the cops and they killed him? AS my messages are blocked,intercpted,edited, disapear. oh yes i see YOUR idea free speach everyday.
    why were neather of these stories in any news? why, election Time of course.
    you see this?

Taliban suicide bomb hits NATO convoy, kills 18
    The Associated Press – Robert H. Reid, Amir Shah – ‎1 hour ago‎
    KABUL, Afghanistan – A suicide bomber detonated his vehicle near a US convoy Tuesday, killing 18 people, including six troops – five Americans and a Canadian – in the deadliest attack on NATO in the Afghan capital in eight months.

May 18, 2010 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Former Marine

God they allow some lunatics onto this forum... Anyways, I agree whole heartedly with Mr Tom up there. War is hell, war is nasty, war is violent and brutal. When I served overseas, everything revolved around the CNN Effect. We're a soft culture now. We encourage men to express their feelings far too much. I remember how it was when I was growing up. A guy could not be willing to go to the hospital, even if he had chainsawed off his own leg, in the middle of a septic treatment pond on a tuesday with onlookers. Just didn't happen. We are a sad country now, and I weep for the future generations, because it's only going to get worse. Everyone sits back and wants to be rich, and famous, and fat and happy, with umpteenbillion cars and a bazillion dollar house, and they want to be able to influence the world however they want... The media transfers information too fast now though. In WW2, if we won a campaign, it took weeks to reach the states. By then, the information had been doctored enough to keep people from puking in their morning cereal. Now look at it, it's grim details. If we told people "We're fighting a war, and our boys are doing their best to win, and come home in time" then no one would care, and our servicemembers could kick serious tail and this war would be over with, in about 15 years. I for one, agree with freedom of the press, it's a very important part of our soceity... However, if I could go back in time, I'd have our founding fathers also include a little footnote with it. "Freedom of the Press, Outside a Warzone"

May 18, 2010 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Man

My, aren't you a tough former marine! So when you were growing up, it was considered brave for a boy who hurt himself to be stupid and not seek help? That would explain why your generation was so easily manipulated by the tiny country of Israel. You thought you were strong and tough, and meanwhile they were laughing at your gullibility and lack of intelligence. And I'm laughing right along with them.🙂

May 19, 2010 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Jihadkilla

Wipe the afghas off the face of the earth. And pakistan too. then, we move to iran and iraq. Infidels rule baby!!

May 18, 2010 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Man

Ha ha - news for you Mr. I'm-Macho-Behind-My-Computer: the US troops have their hands full just trying to fight in two tiny countries. They expected a cakewalk (and Lord Bushy thought it was Mission Accomplished after a few weeks), but instead they're getting their hides handed to them. I think everyone in the world was surprised that the legendary US military machine couldn't even deliver what was asked, after 8 years in Afghanistan and 7 years in Iraq.

It turns out the "big boys on the block" aren't hefty and muscular - they are obese and lazy. Countries like China and Israel are laughing their heads off at the awesome might of the big bad US troops. 🙂

May 19, 2010 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  16. General Dr Bad.

Front page on c.n.n.? Clinton still harping about Iran sanctions.
    Last wekk obamams mouthpiece was telling whining ot Iran about holding those kids with out charges? Who do they think they are? America?
    Im confused, they want Iran to charge those 3 reporters with spying and hang them?
    Its been how long now Turner, you have had the Inside exclusive yet i see nothing differant? and beck is at the N.R.A. ?
    got a broke pipeline? Call "Joe the plumber".

May 18, 2010 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
  17. stupid tax payer

no muslim outrage yet over the Afghan civilians killing coalition troops (oops forgot they are just infidels)

May 18, 2010 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Mike

So if you're an Afghan living here in the US. Go back and fix your own damn country! Other than that the locals have no credibility anyway from Karzai to the local bum who puts himself in charge. Who cares about dead 'civilians'? If they kept their hands off of weapons and not fired on coaltion troops they'd still be alive, but instead they met a glorified end to the jihad.

May 18, 2010 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  19. C. Canty

Muslim clerics are the ones spreading the word about civilian deaths by coalition forces. Isolate these clerics and the problem will be substantially reduced.

May 18, 2010 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  20. General Dr Bad.

American news _noise is useless.Reuters is about as Good as it gets for real news.
    Americans stay drunk,drugged and stupid. YOU talk about abuse of women in afghani land?
    One of MY Sildores in Alaska Shot HIs Wife and baby in the back and kille dhim self this moneth.
    Another of My Soldiors got in a shoot out with the cops in eagle point Oregon. I have not had timeyet to look at the entire list for THIS month yet.
    I do not give a damn about your politicis.
    All you do is waste my time and attck me. Rob me. Lie about me.
    Shock@Awe Shock = Shaw + K (entucky)
    Mission Acomplished.
    I Official resigned yesterday.
    I want To hear what Clinotn has ot saya bout the 3 brats in Iran.
    I want ot hear what plain Has ot saya bout atht sidlior in Alaska,
    I wnat ot hear what obamo has ot say about Iraq and The Mehdi army, and those bombings.
    I want ot know WHO is intercpeting,-blocking and using my message for politiacl and ifnacial gain and pasing them on tiot others?
    While you Lie and Murder My Troops.
    and if rumsfield or bush or anyone lost thier emails? I do have copies.
    Go Buy JOhnny Cash's Album "Aint No Grave"
    A Sunni, a Shiite , a Sufi ,a Salafi , W wahbi, a Almahdi, a Shia, a Wahabi Muslims all stand side bye side,
    Which is the Enemy? Which is the "Insurgent The "terrorist"? Which is your freind?
    How do you tell Civilian From "Insurgent"?
    How do YOU tell them from each other?
    oh, YOU cant. They all look alike to YOU.
    YOU cant even tell a hindu from a muslim froma sihk from a mexican.
    oh and jIhad Jane and jamie? Blonde White women.
    Im FIne.
    YOU are the ones in Trouble.
    Have a nice day.

May 18, 2010 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Franco

We are fighting civilians...If you shoot at me I'm doing my best to kill you and that's it. It's called War...Leave the politics for the people that never served a day in their lives.

May 18, 2010 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  22. General Dr Bad.

I salute you Tom Sir. Today 5 more Troops died in road side bomb? Why? I guess you still did not get a copy of my last message to rumsfield? Karrzai same as all YOUR leaders is same. Play all sides against each other .
    oN His lasts top in America he stopped by the 101 in kentucky. Why?
    Last eyar after a wave of suicdes as welll as muders and susiceds all overt the planet, The C.I.A Issued a report.
    cause -effect as well as cure of this problem. This was before the texas attack.
    Now her ei have karzaia nd obam using the 101 Troops for poiltics and a photo op.
    was this just to get me more angry? Is this Karzis atempt to suck up to me?
    And id o not see who this war has anythign to do with your other wars,
    For those who missed it? I turned in my official resgination yesterday.
    and i cant wait to see how you liars explain this.

May 18, 2010 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Tom

I am retired U.S. Army Recon, and I don't give a flying *&^% about Afghan civilians or Afghan officials. That entire country has been a waste land for empires for centuries. The British lost there, then the Russians, and we haven't learned a damn thing from history. When you fight a war, go hard or go home. Since America no longer has the stomach to go hard, I say get my friends the hell out of there, and let the damn Afghans worry about there own little piece of hell.

May 18, 2010 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chuckster

This is the best advice I have seen so far. WAR is brutal and gets the best results for winning by being as brutal as possible. Why do you think alot of countries are scared to go to WAR with Russia. Its because they come full force to stomp you and don't care what the world thinks. And the world will give its generic reasoning that Russia shouldn't have interfered but, thats as far as it will go or you could be next!!!!! This is how WARS should be fought, you are in it for everything and next time these little poop countries will think twice before picking a fight with you again.

May 18, 2010 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
  24. General Dr Bad.

America s Politicians and Gnerals Are Bought and paid for Treasonous Lying Cowards.
    Lets hear you justify YOUR war with out mention how they treat women.
    AS you see americans dont care how many innocents the murder. All anyof them care about Is money.
    I now wasted a week i another thread here, put my self and family in danger, and what good did it do? why, none.
    could you define "win" for me? I have now killed more than anyone. Soldiors as well as innocent people.
    Does that make me winnner?
    YOU,wars are not MY wars. YOUR country is not my country.
    YOU,are GodlessCowardly baby murdring war criminals.
    And all you did as waste my time once again use info from me for politics.
    Words arwe waste of Time. Nice does not work.
    Have a ber, take a pill,, go get laid, go watc football, go shoot somehoops,
    Ignore that war and go shop.
    and Die Stupid.

May 18, 2010 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  25. guestHawk

yeah...so what? civilians killed 5 soldiers. it's a war people.

May 18, 2010 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
  26. Georgia Goad

We as a nation are so fortunate to be able to keep abreast what is happening all around us. As you know, many countries are kept in the dark about what goes on in their country. "Thankful" patriot makes a lot of sense just as so many others have regarding this issue. Very interesting reading the comments made the last few days. GeeGee

May 18, 2010 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  27. USMC Dad

naive to believe that the civilian population will "point out" who the bad guys are when often times the bad guys are their relatives AND/OR have to eventually face these thugs – does anyone actually think we can win a WAR without killing civilians? obviously some do, and most often are those who have never served – we need to pull off the gloves, protect our troops FIRST, bring these people to their knees, that is how you WIN a WAR. thank God we had commanders in WW 2 who believed this, i.e. Tokyo, Dresden, etc. saved a lot of AMERICAN lives and oh ya, we WON in both of those theatres.

May 18, 2010 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
  28. John

Many of you forget that the reason we went into Afghanistan was because the World Trade Center and the Pentagon where attacked with high jacked airplanes killing thousands of Americans. These attacks were carried out by terrorists (Al Qaeda) who was granted a safe haven by the government of Afghanistan (the Taliban). After the 9/11 the vast majority of Americans approved of a military attack against Al Qaeda and the Taliban. These groups were defeated. Now we could have packed up and went home. However, we were criticized for not helping the Afghans establish a stable government after we helped them defeat the Soviets. We are trying to build a stable government. We are not interested in occupying Afghanistan. They have nothing we need or want. This is not a war but a police action, a very violent police action. We are trying to defeat thugs, thugs who wish to oppress other, especially women.

May 18, 2010 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
    • Man

Come on John - don't be so naive. "They have nothing we need or want." Are you serious? What about the Trans-Afghanistan Pipeline, which allows natural gas from Central Asia to be available to western markets? You don't think that's a factor here? Then I don't suppose you think oil is a factor in any of our Middle East involvement.

As for the "thugs who wish to oppress others, especially women," we didn't care that the Taliban oppressed women when we were helping them fight the Soviets. So don't pretend that's our motivation now.

May 18, 2010 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  29. bailoutsos

"May 17, 2010 A wave of bomb and gun attacks across Iraq [last] week exploited a leadership vacuum and the emergence of a powerful Shia coalition, with the aim of re-igniting sectarian bloodshed, analysts and politicians said." @@@@ America/NATO troops have moved on to another country to fight before Iraq was free from every known terrorist(?) in Iraq. Or would it be impossible to kill every terrorist?

May 18, 2010 at 9:24 am | Report abuse |
  30. RageAgainstThe Machine

Just learn from the Russians and do what they did....call it quits and leave.

May 18, 2010 at 4:24 am | Report abuse |
  31. "Thankful" Patriot

Tad Pole and Kamadu,

Any lose of life is tragic, and I wish it would not happen...ever, as I'm sure 99% of us would agree. But the fact is that YOUR country has entered into a "WAR"! Yes, I said a WAR, not a conflict! 911 was only the initial volley against America. Before posting your own interpretations of other messages "it's the civilian's fault" I would implore you to think before you post your comment. Of course it's not okay to kill innocent people, and how could you even suggest or imply that it was? Additionally, it's not a stupid line, "freedom speech," because that's a founding principle of our "United States of America." Why do you think so many foreigners wish to immigrate to our GREAT land? Maybe, so they can have freedom of speech, which you are so quick to dismess? After generations of freedom, the recipients of that freedom seem to have forgotten how they've acquired this right.
    Be thankful for what you have and not so quick to criticize others who are defending your way-of-life, unless you would care to stand side-by-side with those who defend your "taken-for-granted" rights. Maybe you would like to try your luck in Iran, China or North Korea?

May 18, 2010 at 2:54 am | Report abuse |
    • Man

Thankful, you sound like a reasonable person but you're missing the point. I'm very happy that I have freedom of speech, as is anyone living in America or other countries with that right.

But freedom of speech is hardly the issue here. Our troops in the Middle East are not there to protect our freedom of speech or any other freedom. They are there to further the agendas of the oil elites and Israel. Therefore, any time someone trots out the "the troops are protecting our freedom" line, it makes most of us question that person's judgment and ability to read between the lines.

To sum up: freedom of speech is great but totally irrelevant when discussing the actual objectives in Iraq and Afghanistan. You would be equally wrong to say how much we all love ice cream, and then thank the troops for going over there to defend our right to eat ice cream. Does that make sense?

May 18, 2010 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
  32. Kevin

A "local Afghan leader" no doubt is Taliban. The Taliban are all to familiar with Public Relations because they know that CNN and many other news organizations will publish ANYTHING relating to civilian casualties. Seriously you believe anything you hear CNN?

May 18, 2010 at 12:50 am | Report abuse |
  33. Dan in Lafayette,IN

Lying is nothing to these people, they would kill their own family let alone us infidels. If it furthers their cause, which is power and control over the people through terrorizing and killing people, they will do anything!

May 17, 2010 at 10:20 pm | Report abuse |
  34. CATom

It's hard to know who tells the truth but for the most part anyone I have ever met that comes out of the middle east are notorious liars. Lying is part of all middle east cultures, especially when dealing with westerners.Not racist just the truth.

May 17, 2010 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |
  35. stupid tax payer

how did Anderson Clayton know all this and nobody else was smart enough to see it guess i must pay more attention

May 17, 2010 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Fresnofanatic

It's war so there's going to be civilian casualties...It's a war that was not "declared by congress" so there will be no end to it until we get a President with....Ron Paul's, got balls! (cmon Doctor...run in 2012, please!)

May 17, 2010 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  37. de

THINK OF THE MANY SOLDIERS WHO HAVE LOST THERE LIVES AND LOST OTHER THINGS THERE SUCH AS LEGS, ARMS AND EYE SIGHT, THINK OF THEM AND STOP CRYING ABOUT THE CIVILAIM CASUALITIES AND THINK OF OUR SOLDIRS AND THERE FAMILES.

May 17, 2010 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Adrian Zupp

If the U.S. government wasn't playing "global dictator" and would stop interfering in other states' affairs unilaterally (i.e. rather than doing it as part of the U.N. as opposed to being the great thorn in the side of the U.N.) these things couldn't happen. As for the victims being called "collateral damage," there are almost too many answers to this to know where to start. Let's try this: Another (hypothetically powerful) nation wants the U.S. to operate differently, invades, throws its weight around, and there's plenty of "collateral damage." You know, like our mothers and sisters and kids. Or maybe the commenter here who thinks that it's all part of "war." That's okay? Or is it only okay when it happens to "them"? Please see my latest blog entry about U.S. military personnel carrying out executions on the battlefield at my blog "House On Fire: Thoughts on Saving the World." http://adrianzupp.blogspot.com/
    I invite one and all to sign up.
    Best wishes,
    Adrian Zupp

May 17, 2010 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alien Fisherman

Threats, death, slavery, ignorance is a daily life in all Muslim society. There is no peace in Muslim society ever since a man claimed to have flown up into heaven and came back claming to have spoken to God. The man did not know when he was going to die, he couldn't read or write, and God forgot to tell him that the world was round and much more. And people kill themselves believing in this numb nut.

May 17, 2010 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  39. paul l

It seem all we have to do is kill these people and call them insurgent, just what in the hell is an surgent?

May 17, 2010 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Ann

Interesting -where is Code Pink now? I don't hear anyone bashing Obama – I guess this is Bush's fault too? You idiots railing against war need to wake up. Collateral damage will happen in war. The communists killed millions of innocent civilians in peace time, but you don't care about them do you? It was for the cause.

May 17, 2010 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  41. debatinator

This seems to resemble what happened in Vietnam way too much as it drags on,civilan casualities like this happen when people fight a war the wrong way,using conventional force isn't going to work here 'cause the way the Taliban and Al Quada fight isn't the way conventional armies are trained to deal with. In my honest opinion we should deploy our special forces to deal with this and not the rank and file troops,and yes oil plays a big part in why we're there and was probably the ulterior motive for invading or,again in my opinion, we should have focused only on Afganistan and not have bothered with Iraq I mean they said that Bin Laden was in Afganistan so why did we bother invading Iraq

May 17, 2010 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Maurice

Wars like this will NEVER be over, as long as the super rich have the power to manipulate the have-nots into sacrificing their own lives for their rich masters' avaricious desires. Using the patriotism of the people who have been indoctrinated from a young age to believe that whatever aims their "country" pursues is right, no matter what, seems to be the most efficient way to go, even if the leaders who dictate just what their country's policy is, clearly set sup an incident like 9/11 to even further galvanize public opinion to support their infernal plans of perpetuating the continual and forceful , ravenous, for-profit$$$ exploitation of the 3rd world.

May 17, 2010 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Daniel-2

Maurice,You're quite right about these right-wing thugs in Washington brainwashing our young and using incidents like 9/11 to stir up this right-wing lynch mob mentality to justify their obscene wars and I find that quite nauseating.

May 17, 2010 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  43. samp5

People used to say "Har is hell". The world ought to realize this and go back to making it the terriable thing it is. WW2 brought unstricted submarine warfare, (the last one we really won) the Korean war still used Napon ( they should bring it back). Both vietnam, and the current one used people that were civilians one minutte, and killers the next (including childern) If a country is going to war then Go to war! STOP TRYING TO BE SO POLICALY CORRECT!) INSANE HUSSAIN was excuted, and Bush got off with a FAT PENSION ( he should be tried as a war criminal in my opion). "The war is
    over" RIGHT bush???????