May 13th, 2010

More than two dozen suspected Taliban militants killed

KABUL, Afghanistan - Afghan and international security forces have killed more than two dozen suspected Taliban militants and captured several others in northern Afghanistan's Kunduz province, NATO's International Security Assistance Force reported Thursday.

ISAF said the security forces were pursuing a senior Taliban leader into the village of Kharid-e Olya Wednesday night, when they engaged insurgents in a firefight. There were no civilian casualties, according to ISAF.

In southern Afghanistan, security forces arrested 40 suspected Taliban members in Helmand province, a government spokesman said Thursday.

The two-and-a-half-hour operation took place in the Nawzad district of the province Wednesday, according to Daoud Ahmadi, spokesman for the provincial governor.

In addition to the suspected militants, security forces confiscated munitions, Ahmadi said. There were no reported casualties.

- CNN's Matiullah Mati contributed to this report.

Post by:
Filed under: Daily Developments • Taliban
  1. Upperhand

Our military keeping hell packed with fresh souls. -SMILE

June 20, 2010 at 2:26 am | Report abuse |
  2. hachigubu

When i get back to kandahar, i want to kill more taliban soldiers.I hate them.They killed my friends as we were patrolling on the fateful day.i have no mercy for them.They are wrong people and they deserve not live.

May 18, 2010 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
  3. hachigubu

My son always asks me a question i hate to hear,"Dad why do you fight"?Why do you go out there and fight another man,s war ?i could answer my son in anger:Son,as a soldier am here to make a difference and to save those in need.That is why my colleages are in afgan to help those helpless afgans.

May 18, 2010 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Canty

Eliminate Muslim clerics and the violence will be substantially reduced.

May 18, 2010 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Peyote

I understand that family members must defend the actions and loss of loved ones. Delusion is a powerful defense mechanism, but it is just that a mechanism to cope with situations you know to be morally wrong. For those serving or have served this is still a volunteer military. So quit playing the following orders game. This is called the Nuremberg defense and unless you are a member of the Nazi army you had the choice to sign the contract. I had my chance to enlist, but could not be governed by those with no honor. I chose instead to become further educated and try to support those that have been unknowingly controlled by tyrants. With the middleclass all but extinct we are seeing a new form of slavery that people need to be made aware of. The illusion of choice is still no choice.

May 16, 2010 at 2:55 am | Report abuse |
  6. Lonso

Greg, My son is in Afghanistan and I am sure he will be glad to know the next time he is being mortared and shot at, that we are not there to kill anyone. I suppose putting a flower in the end of his weapon, standing up and singing "We are the World" in your part of Afghanistan will work!! 1-800 FLOWERS does deliver if you need any more.

May 15, 2010 at 10:39 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Smith in Oregon

Wasn't this the village where yet another botched midnight raid resulted in several civilians being machine gunned to death? The spin-misters seem to always declare 'no civilians were killed' and then wait for the smoke to clear before begrudgingly stating a number of civilians were machine gunned to death in the botched midnight raid.

Residents are reportedly so extremely angry they are openly threatening to burn their entire district and city's to the ground. With such strong civil unrest are the US and NATO troops going to machine gun the protesters like they are doing in Thailand and in Tibet?

If the current extreme civil unrest sweeps across Afghanistan, all notions of 'success' in the Afghanistan War are doomed.

May 14, 2010 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  8. Michael1

God Bless , all our boys in-country......

May 14, 2010 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |
  9. Iraq Paramedic

Daniel-2, I have never laughed at you, I have however gotten a good laugh from a couple of your posts. Voiceofreason explained to me what "sue for piece" truely meant. I had never heard of it before. Remember you are never to old or young to learn something new. I will admitt that you sure seem to harber a hatred of our military & political system. At least we have a freedom based system so you can sit at home or wherever & say & type what you want. The people in Afghanistan have to worry the Taliban will torture or kill them if they don't do what they are told. It does appear that the USA is headed for a leading role in world policing & the spreading of democratic freedom & human rights which will intell great sacrifice which our country has always been willing to do.
    May GOD Bless & keep all who are willing to help the less fortunate !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    May GOD Bless & keep us all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 14, 2010 at 4:38 am | Report abuse |
  10. Dan in Lafayette,IN

It;s good to hear from you Greg, maybe Daniel-2 will stop trashing our military and understand that we are helping the people of Afghanistan to be a free and democratic society and to be rid of radical Islam and their terrorizing and killing of the people there.

May 13, 2010 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Achmed the dead terrorist

You finally got me!

May 13, 2010 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Col Gregory T. Breazile, USMC

We are worried about civilian casualties because they are innocent people. This war is about the people. The Afghan people will decide who wins. We need to convince them to support their government. Civilian casualties are the completely counterproductive to our success here so it is important that every Soldier, Sailor, Airman, and Marine understand they need to be a part of the Afghan community and gain the trust of the people. We don't want to kill anyone but rather gain their support to push the Taliban out.

We are building the Afghan Army and Police and they are motivated to make a difference in their country. We will be here to support them so they meet their objectives.

Semper Fi,
    Greg
    NATO Training Mission-Afghanistan http://www.ntm-a.com

May 13, 2010 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • ForceMultiplier

Sir, I admire the eloquence of your commentary. You seem to have quite a confident grasp of your mission in Afghanistan, and your ability to express and outiline these objectives in an easily understood format illustates your being as that of an officer and a gentleman. I served with Marine officers in Fallujah, and as a soldier, i'm continually impressed with the highly human, and academic approach that Marine Corps field grade officers take towards warfighting in the 21st century. If the Marines have earned themselves the repuation of being heavy handed and rough, likewise the 21st century has ushered in an era where the Marines' repuation will be that of Precise, Calculating, quick to strike, but equally as quick to hold.
      That being said, I feel we live in an age where the true mission does become clouded, with units in the field often times behaving more like cowboys, and less like beacons of hope and democracy. I believe that officers like you, with your eloquence, obvious intelligence, and humbleness will steer the public and young troops in the correct direction, the direction of hope, and truth.

May 17, 2010 at 7:22 am | Report abuse |
  13. Maritta

Why are we so worried about civilian casualties? Let's hear about our people and what they're doing to stay safe. There is not that much information we hear about our troops, an excess of what's going on with the people that either support or tolerate the Taliban. I haven't heard from my son in Afghanistan in two weeks, and I really don't care to hear about the natives. I heard our soldiers have to use bottled water to get showers. Wake up America!

May 13, 2010 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • ForceMultiplier

Wow. You obviously have no clue what your son is doing in Afghanistan. You should be ashamed of yourself for writing a comment like this. Visit Arlington cemetery and look at the columns of troops who've died to make Afghanistan a better place, for Afghanis. Your son risks his life every day for these "natives" as you call them, and then you go and belittle his effort, MY EFFORT and the effort of those who never came back. We fight, and die for these people. Get behind us, or get in front of us. You obviously have no morales, or sense of ethics, if you're complaining about civilian casualties, like they're cattle, not people. You're a coward with no soul, and your son is 1000 times better than you.

May 17, 2010 at 7:10 am | Report abuse |
  14. Daniel-2

Aother field day for the right-wing thugs in Washington and the right-wing media,I suppose. I guess we're to hear more and more of this sickening bravado.I would much rather hear that somehow both sides got together and decided to sue for peace.I guess that this Iraq Paramedic is going to laugh at this blog,too,but what does one expect from people like that?

May 13, 2010 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • William Peterson

daniel-2 You couldn't carry a good soldiers jock. B@#W ME!

May 19, 2010 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Talidanny

Daniella – You would much rather be a woman also – but the laws of nature stand in your way. The Taliban also has a nature – to kill for sport. Google Danny Pearl if you need a liberal example of how the Taliban would welcome your love/

June 10, 2010 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
      • Jerry

Talidanny, Daniel-2 also calls himself Anabel, i am not joking...i really am not joking...

June 10, 2010 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |