May 6th, 2010

Combating the No. 1 killer of troops in Afghanistan

Improvised explosive devices — or IEDs — are the No. 1 killer of NATO troops in Afghanistan. And although more than 40 nations are fighting in the ISAF coalition there, none of them have the kind of experience and resources the U.S. has in finding and eliminating these deadly bombs by insurgents.

The U.S. military put that expertise to use at a recent conference at the Joint Multinational Training Command in Germany to show dozens of its NATO partners the latest methods of combating IEDs as well as try to standardize the training and gear.

"It is very important to share the best practices immediately for all the others," says Ltc. Mati Lampinen of the Finnish Army. "So that is the most important thing. To share the best practices and then get them to the soldiers on the ground."

Training included mock IED materials.

Computer games simulate the environment where IEDs are likely.

Mock explosions help train in counter-measures to those heading to Afghanistan.

Training included a demonstration of a mini-drone.

Post by:
Filed under: NATO • Troops
  1. Luckymomx2

As a Mom of a Soldier who will be going to Afghanistan in a few weeks my heart is filled with fear and pride. He is part of Engineer Company who does Route Clearance to find and dispose of the IED's. His unit has been training for the past several weeks and they are ready to go and get their mission done and completed with success and with no injuries or casualities. I pray for all our Soldiers to have God's protective hand over them and to come home both mentally and physically strong. This is a different type of war – a different type of enemy who you don't know who or where they are since they don't wear a uniform. God bless and protect all our Soldiers. I am truly thankful and proud of them all.

May 9, 2010 at 8:41 am | Report abuse |
  2. Rush Limbaugh

Hey, those people need freedom, democracy, equal rights for women, McDonalds! Keep killing!

May 9, 2010 at 6:27 am | Report abuse |
  3. Mark

The number one killer of US troop is Obama.

May 9, 2010 at 2:35 am | Report abuse |
  4. General Dr Bad.

Play? Americans think they are watching a foot ball game.
    You set on your couch and get drunk and bray for *your team*.
    IN All these years of war you are as stupid as stupid can be.
    You refuse to face fact or reality.
    Every day you lie and stall and hide, While your murder and rob your own grand children.
    YOU lie about everyhting from the Dead and Wounded to The Cost.
    YOU refuse to folow or prosecute any law or your own criminals.
    You set and threaten the world every day while you invade and murder.
    OH, but dont point this out.
    What could anyone do better then america and its own leaders to destroy it?
    YOu serve your Arab master while you whine about taliban.
    You dont serve americas interest. You serve special Interests.
    You are Godless Cowards and War Criminals.
    And no, You are not above the law eather.
    Stop Blaiming Everyone else for what YOU bring on YOUR selves.
    And may you rot in hell for what you have done.

May 8, 2010 at 11:19 pm | Report abuse |
  5. danny

dont play

May 8, 2010 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |
  6. General Dr Bad.

Last Friday another of My Men snapped and got in a shoot out with the cops.
    Today at 7 P.M iS His Funeral. While Obama Plays Golf.
    Every Day You Lie to Your troops and people.
    You Point Your Finger at everyone else.
    Oh Such Experts you are.
    ( years of war and you dont know a sunni from a shiite.
    Every day you set and say and do nothing as your leaders and Generals Lie and Rob you.
    You refuse to proscute your own war criminals.
    You Refuse to follow any Law.
    NO, You do not give a damn how many troops die.
    You Cover it up and lie about it as you do everything.
    9 years you have fed your poeple lies and racist proganda.
    Obama is no differnt then Bush. Another incompatent coward.
    You stay Drunk, Drugged and stupid.
    Now "Iggy" That war and go shop.

May 8, 2010 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
  7. me

oh and i really love how all the comments "like i hope we never leave" or Lets have a draft or "its the right thing" come from people who have not served are to scared to but are content to buying MRES on the internet wearing camo for no reason and pretending they know what they are talking about, my message to those type of people put you money where your mouth is and do it there are so many soldiers who hate these war but serve any because of a sense of duty and college money and if you think this war is just then you fight it if you wont go yourself dont send someones son or daughter for you .....cowards....... cowards

May 8, 2010 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
  8. me

i agree that many insurgents are cowardly but but i don't think ieds are, we use claymores, 30000 air strikes and drones are we cowardly, no we just use what we have so do they

May 8, 2010 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Col Gregory Breazile, USMC

Our forces are getting better at detecting these devices. We are also training the Afghan forces to find them. As we profesionalize the Afghan forces we will see dramatic results in the security situation. I am hopeful for the future of this country.

Semper Fidelis,
    Greg

May 8, 2010 at 6:57 am | Report abuse |
  10. Antonio Lima

I just want to tkanks all bravery American soldiers for thei good job.Once I foughts terrorism,like you do and I wasn't very happy with American people,because those terrorists were suported by Henry fonder and jane fonder and so on and so on.today you know the pane you cause to the others in the past.May GOD Bless you I am not American,but love you.

May 8, 2010 at 4:17 am | Report abuse |
  11. Merc

With all due respect to our soldiers who are fighting this enemy, saying one side is dishonorable really means nothing. The British said the American revolutionaries were dishonorable for employing guerilla tactics in the War of Independence. The US patriots initiallly could not win stand up battles against the Brits as was considered customary and honorable at the time. So they did what they had to do to win.

Our adversaries in Iraq and Afghanistan are in a similar position. If they put on uniforms and fought a conventional war, they would all be dead within the week... so they won't. I have a hard time debating honor in war. In real life war is not a movie with shining heroes who never do anything morally questionable. Debating honor is not really productive. Just accomplish the mission and come home safe.

May 8, 2010 at 2:05 am | Report abuse |
  12. USmom

yes NO MERCY WITH COWARD TERRORISTS!!! Plus if they hate us so much, just STAY IN YOUR COUNTRY!!!

May 7, 2010 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
  13. USmom

We need to get out of there, yes, you all are there to defend us, but the problem is this nasty people are allow into THIS COUNTRY, and they want to start blowing people up IN HERE, I think we should get out of there and start getting rid of them HERE!!!

May 7, 2010 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Whitt

"It all boils down to one fact. We wear a uniform. We make clear we are combatants. THAT is honor! Any "enemy" thats refuses to indentify themselves as a combant and just come out and fight is dishonarable. Why is that so hard for some many to understand?" – warvet
    I'm sorry, but that really is one of the most utterly clueless statements I've ever heard. Name me _one_ occupied country in history where the local fighters were stupid enough to identify themselves to their occupiers by wearing uniforms. When the Germans were occupying most of Europe during WWII, did the French resistance wear uniforms? The Dutch? The Norwegians? The Greeks? No, they did not. Why? Because they weren't stupid!

When the Russians were occupying Afghanistan, did you call the mujihadeen fighters dishonorable because they didn't wear uniforms when they attacked Russian units? I'm betting you didn't. If by some bizarre chance the US was ever occupied by a foreign power and you wanted to fight back, would you be stupid enough to go about wearing a uniform advertising that fact?

Neither Iraq nor Afghanistan are conventional wars. Iraq stopped being a conventional war after a matter of weeks. Afghanistan never was conventional. We're not fighting a government that has an organized military at its disposal, and it's not a matter of one side against another. The US and its allies are the occupying powers propping up weak and highly corrupt governments, requiring a war of counter-insurgency. But in addition to that, both countries are riddled with factions – religious, ethnic and tribal – that involve myriad internal mini-wars involving militias or simply armed gangs. It's a highly complex set of struggles for power, and the lines are neither clear nor fixed. Complaining about the lack of identifying uniforms is naive in the extreme.

May 7, 2010 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
  15. monitor

i agree with vet, the enemy tends to disguise themselves s among civilians and even convince some of them to harass and confuse the troops. They are intelligent, but damn bloody cowards. Those damn terrorists deserve no mercy!

May 7, 2010 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Buddy

The W. Bush administration's detour into Iraq under false pretenses has done more to help the cause of Usama bin Laden than UBL could have ever done himself. Bin Laden was counting on the American public to start opposing the war. I do not oppose the war in Afghanistan at all and I believe that even if we left all operations in Afghanistan and Iraq, Al Quaeda would not quit its "jihad" against us. They would once again have a county all to themselves for training and more opportunity to obtain nuclear weaponry from Pakistan. Then on another September 11th in the future BOOM. I support our military and still support the war in Afghanistan. Before Operation Enduring Freedom began Al Quaeda and the Taliban basically had a country, they had Mig fighter-bomber aircraft, tanks and artillery pieces with tens of thousands of fighters. Now they barely have any of that.

May 7, 2010 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
  17. War Vet

Hey, in answer to all those comments about fighting with honor...

May 7, 2010 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
  18. BABAK

Too much hate toward people who live there. Of course they will use this type of device.
    They are not stupid, dispite popular beliefe. What do you think they would do? Take on Americans head-on ... come on

May 7, 2010 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Whitt

To all of the soldiers who have commented on this thread:

Thank you for your service and for your insights. But please understand that I, for one, do not want you in Iraq or in Afghanistan. Iraq was wrong-headed from the beginning. In Afghanistan, there was in the beginning a reason for our going in there, but our subsequent occupation and nation-building was not part of the original mission. Iraq and Afghanistan are bleeding us financially and wasting one of our most precious national resources – the men and women of our armed forces.

I was in the service during Vietnam and saw a great many people's lives pointlessly wasted. I can't believe that I'm seeing it happen again. There are fights that have to be fought, but Afghanistan hasn't been one for some time now and Iraq never was. And so I want you all out of there. The purpose of the armed forces is to protect the nation, not to empower the hubris of politicians.

May 7, 2010 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  20. SGT Mac in Ft. Lewis

To Seasoned Soldier, there was NO evidence found that linked 9-11 to Bin Laden. In fact, there is room for doubt as to who did this and why. Has ANYONE come forward to claim responsibility for this? No. Don't you think that the first terrorist group who claims responsibility would be seen as heroes in the eyes of terrorists everywhere? Then why did Bin Laden, the first one accused, denied any responsibility whatsoever? There is also evidence (albeit a bit from a conspiracy theory standpoint) that the plane crashes alone were not what brought down the twin towers. We are there to do what the Russians failed to do when they invaded: Establish an oil pipeline to friendlier nations where we can collect it for ourselves. Remember, Bush Sr AND Bush Jr were oil magnates, so they BOTH had reason to invade. Iraq as well is rich with oil. When I was there in '07-08, I heard that we were trying to get out of Iraq. I asked, "Then why all the new construction?". I firmly believe that this war has turned into another Vietnam, and will soon become another Korea, where we have to establish a permanent presence to keep out the more unruly neighbors.

May 7, 2010 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
  21. echase

I agree we should bring all our troops home from every country and let the rest of the world defend themselfs. Bring our troops home and tighten our boarder. These primative, uneducated idiots want a dictator, because they are to stupid to do anything on there own.

May 7, 2010 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Capt M

I'm not going to provide my opinion to the comments that have no clue about what we do. Rather I wanted to arm my brothers and sisters with this quote. It gives me that "F'in right" feeling, and if you can't walk I'll carry you because you would do it for me....HUAA!! ( Heard Understood And Acknowledged)

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
    John Stuart Mill

May 7, 2010 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  23. bailoutsos

"IEDs — are the No. 1 killer of NATO troops" -– Now what does Cheney have to say about training his CIA gave to them a few years ago to fight the Russians?

May 7, 2010 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Rodney Lindsay

The author of the recent book, "Seeds of Terror" makes a powerful case that the Taliban's operations are all about SMUGGLING which is the culture of Afghanistan and the Region. They smuggle :weapons, people, money and a key moneymaker drugs.

This raises a key question for the West.

How many of the people we have deployed have any kind of ANTI-SMUGGLING EXPERIENCE and SKILL SETS?

I would love to see CNN interview the author of "Seeds of Terror".

May 7, 2010 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Army Mom

As a mom of an enlisted soldier, I just want my son to come home, intact physically and mentally. I can't help feeling that way, which makes me wish the war would end today. But I honor my son's decision, and I am so proud of him, and all our soldiers.

As a U.S. citizen, I know it's our soldiers' sacrifice that has kept us free. To every U.S. soldier, current and former, thank you for making the choice you made to defend and protect us.

I'm certainly not equipped to do so (I wouldn't want someone yelling at me, and I can't do even one push-up. And you wouldn't want me handling weapons, although I can kill an onion with a butcher knife 😉 ). For that reason, I am very grateful for those of you who are mentally and physically tough enough to do what I can't. Saying 'thank you' seems so small, compared to what you soldiers are doing, night and day for months and months on end. But thank you.

You are brave and honorable beyond any imagining. For those of you who come home, we welcome you back with big hugs and a nice home-cooked dinner for you all. Roast beef, green beans and mashed potatoes? For those who don't come home, we honor your memory, and we will never forget what you did. We love you and support all of you!! I hope you all come home safely, for the hug and the dinner.

May 7, 2010 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Father of a Soldier

Voice of Reason...Well said. I suspect, that a great many of the one fighting, are not Afgans but rather interlopers to stir trouble. Thank you for your service to both the US and your home country.

Fellow woman servicemember....You as well as all of our female members are included in that "servicemen". I draw no distinction between a female warrior and a male warrior. As it should be.

May 7, 2010 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Fellow woman servicemember

I truly think the "cowards" are those that use tactics such as suicide bombings in markets, places of worship, and even Times Square – purposely targeting civilians and even innocent children. Now that is a coward!

BTW, "Father of a soldier", loved your comment, but please don't forget the women who serve and have even died for their country.

May 7, 2010 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  28. CB

To those who wish to remember history; I will pose a question, How was the British Defeated at York Town? And by which methods did General Douglas MacArthur find success in the Pacific theater of war.

1. Hit and run tactics on the British,
    2. Bypassing the enemy's strong points attacking lines of communication and logistical areas strangling them.

A weak and starving enemy can't fight effectively...

May 7, 2010 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
  29. voice of reason

It is true that we have never been defeated, and I don't think there is any doubt in the minds of Afghans that US Soldiers will be able to defeat them. But, the question is not to defeat the Afghans, since we are not there to invade. The US is there at the invite of the people. In 2004, when I first went to my motherland, after being in the US for over 15 years, there were children and people lined up by the road, screaming " i love you, i love you!" to our convoys as we drove by them. By 2009 when I last left, there was no one by the road side, probably because of all the bombs!, and even if they were there, they were screaming, "F&%$ you" at us.

That is the defeat that our soldiers are facing and it breaks my heart that it is the soldiers' leadership, both military and civilian that has failed. And, not the soldiers.

BTW, I am a very proud Afghan-American, and I love both my countries because we all have roots in more than one country and it makes us who we are, and makes us appreciate what America has to offer, at the same time, it give me a global perspective on things.

May 7, 2010 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Father of a Soldier

I currently have a son deployed in Afghanistan, he is there because he chose the life of a soldier. He and his team are proud of what they do.

If we look back on history, the Afgans have never been defeated and never will be. They have been occupied many times and as stated earlier, they are feudal. They will wait until our citizens and leaders tired of the loss of life and the economics of the war. Then they will return to the life they have led for centuries.

Do we need to be there? Yes, but for reasons not yet mentioned.

For those of you that disparage our troops, when you lay down in your bed tonight, remember, only two men in history have ever laid down their life for you. One was Jesus Christ, the 2nd is the American Serviceman.

May 7, 2010 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  31. voice of reason

Has anyone seen the movie "Charlie's War" or heard about this thing that was called "the Cold War"?? What about the really (in)famous term "Mujahideen"??? Is anyone familiar with the concept of "unfinished" business and how it come back and bite you in the backside?

Well, it did, and we are a little late, but its something we need to do.

Leave the soldiers alone. They don't have a choice, and they are doing a great job touching the lives of Afghans in the community they are forced to spend months fighting death. I have seen kindness from these soldiers shown to Afghans that we don't even show our family members in the US.

May 7, 2010 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Malek Saad

I think the US should be making plans to leave afghanistan and Iraq to save these soldiers and not wasting time trying to figure out where a bomb might be planted

May 7, 2010 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Doug

Liberals are RUINING our country. Look around and tell me you are better off than you were 2 years ago. This war is not wanted but it is necessary if America is to remain the last beacon of hope for the world.

What don't people understand? These Islamic freaks must be destroyed. PERIOD.

The sooner Obama, Pelosi, Reid and their band of left wing idots leave the better we will all be. You may even have a job, food, housing and a little money. You won't as long as they are there.

Maybe sending them to the frontlines would be best idea of all.

May 7, 2010 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  34. tic tic

Rob – I can tell you obviously have not yet been deployed to Afghanistan. These people we fight are corwards who will use every dirty trick in the book. Of course it is out of necessity which I understand, but cowardice none the less. They are in no means brave and recruit young, impressionable people to carry out their suicide bombings and dirty work. I came to this country 10 months ago bright eyed but since then have grown disdain for the wild humans we are trying to help. These people are feudal and regardless of what we do no military action will ever accomplish a mission here. The west will never understand a place like this because unless you spend an extended amount of time here it is impossible to gain any context on the situation. YOU CANNOT DEFEAT AN IDEAL!

May 7, 2010 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  35. jo

My son is a Marine and even though I am proud of all our military, I am so tired of the media showing our enemies what we are doing- what happen to our military fighting a war with our technology without every terrorist knowing what we are doing.

May 7, 2010 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
  36. Alex

Famous last words....

May 7, 2010 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
  37. Alex

Famousl last words...

May 7, 2010 at 10:16 am | Report abuse |
  38. America Needs to get out of the Middle East

I love how people say we are in Iraq and Afghanistan because of 9/11 when we have been on the Middle East soil since the 1990's!!! If we never went there they would not have came here. Their only goal is to get America out and want stop untill America leaves the Middle East.

May 7, 2010 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
  39. rob

As an enlisted infantryman i would like to address all the people who call afgan people cowards. Listen im deploying in April I cant wait to egt there and do my job but the second we start thinking of these people as cowards and fools we are going to lose. They are smart, clever and brave and most of all they HATE us which is why I fight. But make no mistake they are not doing anything I would not do if another nation ever attacked the US. I would do everything in my power to fight back and inflict as much damage as I could too. Instead of being so short sighted and flexing our muscles back home we need to learn and better understand our enemy in order to defeat him because the Afgan people have been fighting a long time and they know how demorilize and send an enemy packing for home with there tail between there legs. 11B HOOAH !!

May 7, 2010 at 8:46 am | Report abuse |
  40. focalist

First off, never make the mistake of confusing support for the troops on the ground with agreement on any level with the policies that put them there. They are just two subjects which couldn't be less related to each other.

What amazes me is since this NY Carbomb guy went to Pakistan and got SOME type of training... and that IED construction would seem to be fairly common knowledge over there (can't have that many without people knowing how to make them... especially the "improvised" part. MuhamaGuyver?)– by all descriptions the car bomb in NYC simply wasn't well made or likely to work.

What are we dealing with here? Is the NYC guy just a complete idiot?

May 7, 2010 at 7:44 am | Report abuse |
  41. RH

Comment #26 from Trent. Being in the military is not just a job and we are not just doing our job. It is a calling of honor. I could neverlook in the face of any of my troops and say "Hey man, it's just a job." Not real motivating. These young folks have said they will die for the freedom of others. That is not JUST a job. Semper Fi

May 7, 2010 at 7:39 am | Report abuse |
  42. Mirror

The real culprit is "SAUDI RIYAL". The real source of trouble all over the world is "WAHABI" brand of ISLAM.
    for the sake of world peace SAUDI REGIME must go ...

May 7, 2010 at 6:48 am | Report abuse |
  43. Moor

Thank you, all of you who go out there and risk it for the rest of us while the rest of us sit here and criticize you for it. Good luck out there and stay safe!

May 7, 2010 at 6:30 am | Report abuse |
  44. soldier2

denis jonnes 54 comment was AWSOME made me and my battles laugh and nod our heads lol

May 7, 2010 at 6:05 am | Report abuse |
  45. soldier2

im in iraq and i can tell you from a truthful stand point that the soldiers here mostly laugh at the comments made by civilians. The exact words that come out of our mouths F$$in civilains. Reason being, im not going to say all of the civilians are like this, but to most of you war is nothing but news reports threw the mouths of people that have no idea whats really going on, and if they did wouldnt say the truth if they were under oath. Civilians dont know what its like to fight for our country. We are a fighting nation look at history books, Read articles of real soldiers who have been into the SUCK. We are proud of what we do. Its not just another job to us. Its a life choice that many young americans have made the sacrifice to sign that line and say IM A WARRIOR AND A MEMBER OF A TEAM. Im proud to be an AMERICAN, and im proud to be an AMERICAN SOLDIER. OUR FOUR FATHERS ARE ROLLING IN THERE GRAVES BECAUSE OF WHAT AMERICA HAS BECOME.

May 7, 2010 at 5:55 am | Report abuse |
  46. Goy

Hey all you rednecks out there; Why are you in Afghaninstan and Iraq in the first place?
    If you come to my country we will of course use all explosives we have to blow you back home. A dead occupant yankee is a good yankee. How did the land of the free become slaves of Zionism and pawns of Israel?

May 7, 2010 at 5:45 am | Report abuse |
  47. Denis Jonnes

The number one killer of US troops in Afghanistan is the US Department of Defense.

May 7, 2010 at 5:36 am | Report abuse |
  48. K9inKC

The primary components in the ieds being currently used in Afghanistan consist of Russian artillery shells and/or Ammonium Nitrate mixed with diesel fuel and other things. So maybe we should get mad at Russia for leaving all their bombs behind, and then build the Great Wall of Afghanistan to prevent all the ammonium nitrate from being transported into the country from places like Pakistan and Iran.

May 7, 2010 at 5:06 am | Report abuse |
  49. SGTSKI

I agree with soldier. I also and in Iraq, you are sitting at you comfortable chair relaxing everyday after work. We are never off. Any givin time of the day a nice mortar could land onus. I have heard more explosions its crazy. So all of you people who HATE soldiers and say whos fault is it that your son joined the army get over it. Those young soldiers have bigger (fill in the blank) than you have. How does it feel going into Starbucks everyday? How does it feel to have a comfortable bed at the end of the night? Yea i asked to join I signed the dotted line and im proud to wear this uniform. I took a sacrifice to Protect you. And my country foreign and domestic. I think you owe all Solider, Sailors, Airman and Marines a Thank you!!!

May 7, 2010 at 3:19 am | Report abuse |
  50. tic tic

The Rules of Engagement are killing us and this war is a media fueled frenzy. No one writing on this blog will ever have the mentgal capacity to truly understand the complexities we face. Neither will I. Everyone not in Afghanistan right now is nothing more than an armchair quarterback and that is what is currently wrong with the American people. I respect your freedom of speech but bottom line is unless you can change anything (which you wont unless you are a lobbist or news producer) than your opinion really doesnt matter. Its a hard truth to face but once you read this comment you will forget about it and go back to complaining about some other trivial problem. Everyone in our society today is so quick behind a keyboard but slow when actual sacrifice is required. Time to go back out on patrol and find the 5th IED in 2 days.

May 7, 2010 at 2:15 am | Report abuse |
  51. Bouttobeinafghan

all yall are stupid this is why i dont want to come back to the states this is why soldiers have troubles when they get back to the states yall forgot why we are fighting some soldiers even forgot well i will tell u what im fighting for this will never end the will be more attacks i mean a guy try to blow up time square and your sayin drones are bad bombs from 15000 feet are bad well let me tell u somethin those things are reduceing the deathes of your ellow americans my brothers in arms americans make me sick now of days i asked to be staioned over seas bc the way people look at us and judge us this people have no hearts they fight bc we dont believe in there god because we have freedoms if you think it is so bad go live over there then i mean seriously we live in shacks eat garbage food and we dont complain the people that complain the most are the people at home watchin cnn the people who make us look bad cnn dont show us saving afghani childrens life you dont hear the storys of soldiers giving cpr to little girls for 25 min in a helicopter while they fly her to a fob bc cnn makes this war look bad instead of what should be showed makeing the soldiers look like heros instead they make us look like killers im going to get off my soap box to all my fellow brothers in arms keep ur heads up

May 7, 2010 at 2:06 am | Report abuse |
  52. joe

that is why saturation isa needed from west to east north to south to locate and distroy all found ordnance house to house, and do some bait a trip a radio signal can be avoided or a human bomber, they can detect if the have the proper tools and wide rrange of sonar imaging of aLL ROUTE OUR soldier is going to take before hand

May 7, 2010 at 1:33 am | Report abuse |
  53. Bent Doc

The last thing I wanted when I went to war is a fair fight. Drones and bombs falling from orbit aren't fair. I like it that way. Indirect fire sucks too. Insurgent rockets, and IED's really bite. So, lets stop all this talk about bravery and honor. No one who chooses war as a way of life is honorable and bravery lasts right up until the bullets start flying in your direction. Oh, and one last thing: If you've never been there, do the war fighters of the WORLD a favor and stop pretending you know what you are talking about. It sucks. It's horrible. It might just have to be done.

May 7, 2010 at 12:57 am | Report abuse |
  54. Army Medic

Hey "used to be a soldier" sorry you couldn't handle the military. I'm sure it was so hard for you. Did they make you get up early and exercise, did they yell at you, and make you do stupid details all day? Poor guy, just because you couldn't handle it don't sit here and tell me our freedoms here in the USA have nothing to do with the men and women in the armed forces. Sorry you couldn't hack it!

May 7, 2010 at 12:33 am | Report abuse |
    • Airman in Afghanistan

Army Medic,
      Well said!

July 25, 2010 at 6:18 am | Report abuse |
  55. Our Subjectivity

No,, the insurgency is separate from Hussein's army trying to respond to the conventional gvround invasion executed by the USA. Of course these militant groups parasitically feed off any military authentication they can get, and are militarily engaged.

Perhaps people should be proud and happy that these insurgencies have not achieved military means and have been forced to operate at snake-belly level. Perhaps there have been very heroic personal wars by people who could have allowed them military access, to knkowledge and/or to equipment, and have, at grave personal sacrifice, kept them outside of the reach of conventional tactic and of conventional credibility. These may be some of the greatest heroes of our time.

The extremists in this discussion have been more successful faking religious presence, where their tactic and drives more closely resemble blasphemers. For example, using dirt, filth and the gore and excrement of the scenes of carnage from their activities, in their 'ritual' of violence. These components are not agreed in any religion to be acceptably clean.

Recent terrorist efforts (the last 25 years, anyway) has been an attempt by a crime group to gain carte blanche access to operate in drugs and in corruption – calling people Crusaders could even be a reference to the word 'crew', as organized crime has been a direct means as well as objective. But the use of explosives are a downgrade in criminal activities in street warfare as it is currently known to be, in North America, Europe, etc., and with the guise of religious control, what are the 'avails'? And military force is an effective and, oddly enough, actually fair deterrent to those means.

Desperation drives, in many cases, and megalomaniacs believing they have a stake or a claim in international intelligence are their leaders, and the most high-profile of today's terrorist front. Their intelligence objectives are researched and contrived for a legitimacy 'they' will never achieve. Not much different than selling crack, a cheaper drug, to people who would like to be on cocaine but can't afford it. The minions to these 'leaders' operate in the same model as 'the pusher': like any parasitic opportunity – identify the desperate individuals and set up shop.

Now that accepted use of explosives has been avoided, due to military and personal deterrent which will remain in force, the next target will have to be the latest infiltrating downgrade in criminal activity – human trafficking, and its hideous counterpart, threats/crimes against children. It will be significantly more difficult to prevent contamination from terrorists/terrorist objective in these activity forums.

Geez, I almost miss the old fashioned vices. The levels of tolerance of organized crime to crimes of control over lives will yield some insight, psychiatrically, likely, to individual inclination for these lower-than-low personal decisions, or potential decisions, if defeated at this early development phase of growth.

What does this have to do with spotting IEDs from vantage point? Everything right up to the field. Remind me to sharpen up my super-hot pinpoint laser gun to destaibilize foreign objects before striking them (fireworks, I guess!) Okay, Mr. Defence-weapon Egghead, do your thing!

...is that it?......

May 7, 2010 at 12:24 am | Report abuse |
  56. Used to be a Soldier

To Soldier:
    I'm sorry to tell you but whether you're fighting there or not it makes no difference for us in terms of our freedoms here in the USA. I'm sorry, you're being played by our government.

May 6, 2010 at 11:32 pm | Report abuse |
  57. ONCE A SOLDIER ALL WAYS A SOLDIER

I HAVE BEEN READING YOUR COMMIT , IS PROUD TO SAY THAT I HAVE SERVED IN THE ARMY AND HAVE TWO TOURS OVER IN THE MIDDLE EAST. I SINCE THEN I HAVE LEFT THE ARMY AND IS KNOW SERVING MY COUNTRY IN THE AIR FORCE RESERVES WORKING AS A HONER GUARD AT THE AIR FORCE MORTUARY AFFAIRES OPERATIONS CENTER AT DOVER AFB IN DELAWERE TO MY BROTHERS AND SISTER DOWN RANGE MY THE FATHER LOOK AFTER YOU AND MY I SEE YOU AMOUNG THE LIVING AND WITH BACK AMOUNG YOUR BROTHERS OF ARMS HERE IN THE STATES. HOW ARE PRAYING FOR YOUR SAFE RETURN. GOD BLESS AMERICA.

May 6, 2010 at 10:52 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Crusader

Using IEDs is not cowardly. It is resourceful. You have to have respect for an enemy who evolves its tactics the way the insurgents in Iraq and Afghanistan have done so. These are not a bunch of cave dwellers with a third grade education. Most Americans really do not have a clue as to the true nature of the enemy. Spare me the terrorist and thug rhetoric too. That does serve us in attempting to defeat a wily enemy as the shadowy insurgency in Iraq and the Taliban in Afghan-Pak.

One note to Smith in Oregon. When Baghdad fell, it was not Islamic militants that swept up the ammo depots. It was former Saddam regime military and intelligence officers. Who do you think started the insurgency over there? Abu Zarqawi? Please, the jihadis couldn't step foot in the country at that time of the war without kissing the ring of the former regime.

May 6, 2010 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • hans

Agree, if your country was attacked, shouldn't the main target be winning the war, (while respecting the Geneva convention)? Isn't that the main course for all people within the recistances? Not being killed while being brave?

And for the people that belives that avoiding casulties at all costs, even killing civilians .. : If this procedure generates more enemies than it kills, doesn't that make you loose the war in the end? Only for mathematicans .. 😉

July 18, 2010 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Money

2 to the chest and 1 to the head... That's hearts and minds for ya!

May 6, 2010 at 10:20 pm | Report abuse |
  60. LN

Speaking from the experience of one who is on his 7th. tour now in Afghanistan...Baghdad smells like DEATH...these IED's leave scenes no one should ever have to see. It is a person of no human conscience who blows other human beings up with not an ounce of remorse. they have & raise children to blow themselves up... to boast their child is a martyr ... they are a sick people.

May 6, 2010 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Alisa

okay..great story, but did you ever think the terrorists are reading this article as well..? this is what's wrong with the media today..they reveal too much information..

May 6, 2010 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Moki

The #1 killer of troops in Afghanistan is this county's foreign policy of favoritism towards Israel.

May 6, 2010 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
  63. monitor

Middle East is a huge crisis zone. It is good to see Coalition and US troops sharing information and tactics. But something tells me that no matter how much intel is gathered, the enemy will continue to come up with new ways to harass the soldiers. We need to find a way to break the terrorists' hold in Afghanistan and in other parts of the MIddle East. I do support the troops, but the war cannot go on forever.

May 6, 2010 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Seasoned Soldier

I cannot believe that people do not know why we are at war in Afghanistan. How quickly we forget the terrorist acts committed on our soil. We lost many Americans, Mothers, Fathers, Brothers, sisters, and even people from other countries working in the USA.

Are the TWIN TOWERS that forgetful of an event?

I would rather fight terrorists in their back yard than to have to deal with them on our streets and around our young children. We walk freely without care.

I have served in both countries in the Middle East. Will continue to serve and ensure that the Freedoms we have will ALWAYS remain free unequivocally. This is the USA and we will not tolerate terrorism of any sort in our Country

Thanks to all for your views and sleep well tonight and every night for there are men and women who bleed red, white and blue standing watch. And make no mistake about it, they will continue to fight the enemy with tenacity and vigor no matter what weapon we use or what weapon they use.

To my brothers and sister who have served and do serve. THANK
    YOU!!

May 6, 2010 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Iraq Paramedic

For those who have faith in GOD it is allready written. Ezekiel & John where both shown the vision of the great war & both accounts speek of fire raining down from the heavens. Just before all the fire is a great battle which is said to start in the middle east & culminate in the valley of Meggido & says that blood will run as deep as a horses breast.
    As for the enemy we are fighting at this time, they are decendants of Ishmael. Genesis chapters 16-18 will tell you of the nature of this people.
    As for the IED's, we have been using land mines for decades.
    May GOD bless & keep us all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 6, 2010 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Jo Blo

Unless I'm mistaken, didn't the war allready come here on 9/11? What makes you follks think they wouldn't use Nuke's if they had them? (here or there). Fact is, once Israel bombs Iranian nuclear facilities (1-3 years out), the Iranians will surely proliferate enriched uranium to Taliban or whoever just to retaliate. If a nuclear bomb get's drove up to Bagram AFB or on the border of Israel and get's detonated, what then? Do we want to wait for that to happen? What do we do once it's happened? This is a very real scenario I see playing out over the next few years, and a lot of people appear to be in denial. Noboy wants to go to war with Iran, but what if they detonate a nuke after their nuclear enrishment facilities bombed by Israel? (which I see a a high proability).

May 6, 2010 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse |
  67. rrock

A BS war dreamed up by the military and Bush. I am ashamed of Obama for continuing this folly. Supporting a corrupt drug dealing government, pretending we are somehow different and better than the soviets, pretending that somehow we win the war on terror by imposing our will in Afganistan. It is not worth the lives of our soldiers.

May 6, 2010 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Smith in Oregon

If the explosives needed to make IED's are removed from across Afghanistan, there would be very few IED's being deployed by the Taliban freedom fighters on US and NATO troops.

When Baghdad in Iraq fell, Generals and Commanders simply laughed at the Millions of artillery shells in numerous bunkers thru-out Iraq. There were not immediately destroyed under their utter and absolute LAPSE in duty and judgment. The disposal of the caches containing Millions of artillery shells was placed far, far down the list of 'to do' in Iraq by the US Military.

In nearly all cases, those huge caches and bunkers were left unguarded by the US Military and within DAYS, Islamic militants had entered and packed off nearly all of them. Those artillery shells supplied them with a near endless supply of IED's which they used against the US Military troops over and over again.

Generals should have been court marshaled, field commanders heads should have rolled when those massive bunkers were left unguarded for days.

And yet in one of the largest US Army white washes of the entire Iraqi War, those men were not charged with gross dereliction of duty and no mention of their part in all of the IED caused deaths were revealed to the American Public.

May 6, 2010 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
  69. dan

as a parent of a Marine that just returned home from Afganistan as a Combat Engineer doing this very job of finding and disarming IED. I'm proud to say thank god we have such a military, willing to fight for the very same reason that i'm able to writ this. FREEDOM!! Thank a Vet. no matter what He or She has sacificed a great deal for their country make them proud

May 6, 2010 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Kirk, Oswego, IL

Wayne, do you really think the war's coming here. Please, stop being such an idiot. What kind of Dick Cheney torture chamber has you so brainwashed.

May 6, 2010 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Wayne

We can fight the Muslim terrorist in Iraq and Afganistan or we can fight them in New York, Houston, LA etc. Over there we have trained people doing the fighting that have the equipment to do the job. If we bring the fight over here, it will get ugly.

May 6, 2010 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
  72. 3 time Iraq Vet

To address the issue of honor: When it's said that they are fighting without honor, it is because they refuse to fight in the open. The Al Qaida and other terrorist organizations have fought for so long using cowardly tactics, we have been forced to use things like drones to minimize casualties from an enemy unwilling to face Americans in a fight. There is one simple reason: In a toe to toe fight, they have NEVER WON. Yes we have had to adapt and use tactics that are turn their treachery back on them. There is not one Iraq/Afghanistan veteran soldier who doesn't wish they would just stand up and fight, so we could end it. It has been repeated many times by many soldiers that we do not mind surrendering our lives if need be fighting for our country. Our only wish, that it be done so against an honorable enough enemy, that has the honesty and integrity to look us in the eye when they fight, and not hide in the shadows like cowards

May 6, 2010 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Galagon

I hate the fact that we are at war anywhere, but I will never say anything negative about our troops. They sacrifice in so many ways not the least giving thier lives so we can have these conversations. I come from a military family and know what it means to lose a family member in the service. I live by a military base and no matter where I see a solidier if its at a gas station or Walmart I take a moment and shake thier hands and thank them for doing what they do. I urge the rest of you to do the same it's the least we owe these young men and women that put thier life on the line everyday.

May 6, 2010 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Doc

soldier...you're "over there" because your chain of command told you to get your backside on that conveyance and GO. As you were....and thank you for your continued committment to honor and duty...

Now if we only had a way of keeping CIVILIANS from turning an article about tactical engagement into their own sorryass moment on the political pouting soapbox. Take it to FOXNEWS...

I am totally against this military engagement in Iraq, but knew damned well during my 4 year enlistment tour that I'd mobilize because I took an oath "to do so" if commanded.

May 6, 2010 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Trent

First, none of us will ever know the real reasons why we have gone to war in Iraq and Afghanistan. This has been something that has been debated for almost 10 years now and no one has yet to come up with an answer. So why waste your breath arguing nonsesiclly about something you have no control over or know anything about?

i understand people have their views and i respect people who speak them in an educated manner, but those of you who say things out of sheer ignorance need to stop and think about what you say before you say it. It just might make you look stupid. Which most of these comments do.

Secondly, those of you who oppose the war, that is your God given right as an American citizen, but as an American citizen, have enough respect for the soldiers who are fighting this war. 99% of the soldiers fighting, i can atest to from personal knowledge, dont want to be there either. They are strictly doing their job. As a member of the armed forces, those men and women are there to do a job, just like any of you who work a regular 9-5 job. So next time you decide to voice your opinion about the war, try to keep in mind those men adn women merely doing their jobs and voice it intelligently.

Thirdly and lastly, i am going out on a limb when i say this and will do so respectfully. I would imagine that the majority of Americans living in America are not educated in the ways of the Middle East unless you have had the oppurtunity to study first hand or go to college with this specific field of study in mind. I will even go as far as to say that most Americans dont even follow what is going on in America yet alone what is going on in the Middle East. So to argue and bicker about the way the war is conducted is fruitless and, dare i say ignorant again. The complexity of war in and of istelf is enough to think twice about bashing the way it is conducted, so imagine how much more complex it gets when you throw in religion, economics, and international relations on top of it all. Makes for a pretty murkey subject topic to say the least. So again i urge you, for the sake of yourself, and those men and women doing their jobs so far from home, as they were ordered to do, please speak with intellignece and a little respect when criticizing anything concerning the topics of this war.

May 6, 2010 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Master Sergent S

Ihave served my country for over 20 years and have learned to respect the enemy and his capabilities. I have to give it to them..........fighting the most powerful military machine in the world. What balls! I would also tell you that as a Soldier, I have done my duty and will continue to do my country's bidding.....but as a parent with one child on active duty, I pray that the wars will end before my son or any other son or daughter has to see the face of war.

May 6, 2010 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  77. davec

scambo, have you always been this stupid or did you get hit in the head?

May 6, 2010 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  78. yogi

TOSHAY

May 6, 2010 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  79. davec

We need a fair and equitable military DRAFT. No deferments, no exceptions. All classes of society will bear the burden. We also need an Afghanistan WAR TAX to make the true cost of this war visible.

May 6, 2010 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Michael Scott

I hope we never pull out!

Posted by: War Forever

That's what she said!

May 6, 2010 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  81. SGT M

Those who say our enemy is fighting without 'honor of any kind' need to open thier eyes. We kill from unmaned planes and apache/scout helicopters...things they cannot defend against. How are we better than them?

May 6, 2010 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  82. cindi

Well, there you go people. Leave it to a soldier to set everyone straight, on why we are over there! I hope that shut's everyone's mouth up! Good job soldier, thank you so much for fighting me and my family!

May 6, 2010 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Soldier

I'm over here so you can sit safely at home, type on your computer and ask "why are we over there? I mean really, why?"

May 6, 2010 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Roger Clemmens

Why are we over there? I mean really, why?

To stop the Taliban? Capture Bin Ladin? Those reasons are as old as the dust fart which erupted sometime during the Iocene period.

May 6, 2010 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  85. alr

Yes, Bob. Back off.
    Your comment doesn't have anything to do w what sluc said. It was, simply, an imflammatory comment.
    Most of us w children on active military duty feel exactly the way sluc feels. I know I do. My son is 20 and on active duty, SF recruit. Also, my brother is a recently retired Lt Col in the Marines, my other brother is still on active duty as a JAG and my step-brother still on active Infantry duty.
    Their choices have nothing to do w how I feel about the war.
    If we're to stay in, we first need to fire KBR from the 'soldier care' business, as their faulty wiring in the showers has electrocuted 18 of our soldiers to date, including a Green Beret (whose parents will win their lawsuit). That's 1-1/2 squads of soldiers KBR has killed. Which seems to make KBR an enemy of the state. KBR's defense? That we don't require them to perform electrical work up to U.S. standards, that it's too expensive. So, they continue electrocuting our soldiers who are taking showers.
    Note, KBR is a subsidiary of Haliburton, which former VP Dick Cheney left as CEO to become vice pres. In the 'just saying' category.

May 6, 2010 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  86. Terry

Dave cant be more right, my son spent 18 mos. in Iraq in, and infantry unit, some of the stories he's told since he's been home, and believe me, it took him a while to even talk about some of the things that he experienced, they would make your hair stand on end! These guys hands are tied, they are trying to fight a politically correct war over there, and that just ain't how it's done folks, look at past history, and make your own judgement on that. Our service men and women need to be commended for the job they're doing and should be in our hearts and minds everyday.

May 6, 2010 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  87. scambo

Its gonna be a bad thing for our country as the bleeding heart liberals take over how the military does bussiness. Maybe we should have tried to talk it out with our enemys when we were trying to win our independance. How do you think that would have went? Terrorists kill their own people just as well as they kill their enemies. Do you think they have they will show any mercy to anyone if a factor like this comes to power? They have been at war with everyone and among themselves since the beginning of time. They only respect the strong. The best defense is a good offence.

May 6, 2010 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Dave

Bob, sluc is just stating what most parents who have kids in the military think so back off.
    The fault the coward they have in charge over there not allowing our men to fight the war but rather telling them that if the enemy shoots at you and then drops his gun and walks away you can't shoot back or that you cannot fire a warning shot or a flare for a vehicle that won't stop, what kind of moron sends people into harms way and then ties there hands behind there back? For a General that came for special forces this guy is a coward.

If we are not allowed to fight the war then we need to cut our losses and get out.

May 6, 2010 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jason

I agree with you the rules of engagement are absolutely ridiculous these days. However, the war must be fought. It is a necesity.

May 17, 2010 at 6:54 am | Report abuse |
  89. bob

hey sluc, who's fault is it that your 19 year old joined the military? ours?

May 6, 2010 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ray Martin

Listen to what is being said. Knowledge is power. Those are some of the most non intelligent comments I have ever heard. Things have grown since 911. We either fight them there, or fight them here. If we actually put more faith in our leaders. And not stab them in the back every chance we get. We could probably create a winning solution. Until we come together. We will always feel like it is a loss. 100% support of our President.

July 28, 2010 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
      • Alex

Lol buddy I think you need to think about what you just said..."if we don't fight them there then we will fight them here" tell me by what means is the Taliban going to invade our country when their heaviest "tank" is a pick up with a 30 year old machine gun on the back... yes you our absolutely right we should fight them there so they just dont para drop troops into our nation with planes c130s they don have

August 2, 2010 at 2:44 am | Report abuse |
  90. War Forever

I hope we never pull out!

May 6, 2010 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alex

and i hope a foreign nation Invades us and tosses grenades into our homes killing our families and friends...and then i hope they never pull out either.... please think about what you say and try to refrain from talking like an idiot

August 2, 2010 at 2:39 am | Report abuse |
  91. sluc

I have a 19 year old son who is currently in the army stationed at Fort Hood in Texas. I think we need to bring our soldiers home!! We have lost too many to this senseless war.

May 6, 2010 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jason

Im sure your son doesn't believe it is sensless. Maybe you should suppport what he does.

May 17, 2010 at 6:51 am | Report abuse |
  92. USAMAN

I am a moron and my above comment was me talking out of my anus

May 6, 2010 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  93. USAMAN

Braveheart,

How are IEDs any different then us dropping bombs from 15,000 feet?

Is one more cowardly then the other?

I agree, lets get out of there ASAP.

May 6, 2010 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  94. Afghan guy

Braveheart, you call drones honorable fight?

May 6, 2010 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  95. ralph

what Braveheart said just 1 more thing a copper misquito for every one who oppeses the coilation.

May 6, 2010 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  96. Chuckster

Yea, what Braveheart said!!!!!

May 6, 2010 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  97. Braveheart

Muslim extremists are nothing but a bunch of cowardly thugs that fight without honor of any kind.

May 6, 2010 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • derp

Yeah, and invading 3rd world nations for their oil isn't honorable either.

July 19, 2010 at 10:36 am | Report abuse |
      • Jack

...and Afghanistan has oil?

July 19, 2010 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
      • annette

It has minerals...

July 19, 2010 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
      • AudieHO

Facilitating the mass murder committed at the World Trade Center had absolutely nothing to do with it? I don't understand how some people can be so naive. Since the 'it's for the oil' argument doesn't work, then it has to be 'for the minerals.' Put down the crack pipe and get educated, please.

July 26, 2010 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
      • Tucker

While Afghanistan doesn't itself have oil, what the US troops are there for is to create enough stability that the production of a giant oil pipeline that runs through Pakistan and Aghanistan can be completed.

July 27, 2010 at 4:01 am | Report abuse |
    • Former Soldier

They have IEDs we have drone airplanes and guided missiles. It's war, and they know their most casualty producing weapon is the IED so their going to use it. I'd do the same if I were in their shoes. You can't fight the US face to face.

July 22, 2010 at 4:58 am | Report abuse |
      • Alex

At least not if you are a half battered nation that just got out of a war against Russia.... however put us against another nation with a strong military it may be a different situation

August 2, 2010 at 2:36 am | Report abuse |
  98. Frank

I've done Intel work with Counter IED and IED Network Defeat. Happy to say evolving strategies and tactics have help in reducing the threat vastly since the start of ops nearly 10 years ago. Keep up the good work guys. Make us proud.

May 6, 2010 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  99. ohiolili

This is one of the reasons this war is so difficult to fight...these hidden bombs. As a parent of a soldier in Afghanistan, I can tell you I shudder to think of him, or anyone else's son or daughter, having to drive or ride in a vehicle on those roads, or even going out on a march anywhere. I am proud and happy we have such dedicated members of our armed forces who have mastered discovery and
    disarmament of these devices. I am so proud
    of our military, and those who work with them for the improvements made for safety in an already dangerous situation. This enemy is unlike any we've ever faced. It's a new world indeed.

May 6, 2010 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  100. derek

man i can't wait to get out there...

May 6, 2010 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • camarquardt

What is important to remember is that almost all the NATO nations who are particpating in ISAF have gone or are going through training with the U.S. Army in Germany. It's a type of shared knowledge that has very little precedent,... but will hopefully yield big gains in understanding and cooperation in current and future conflicts.

May 27, 2010 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |