May 5th, 2010

Afghanistan's dreams of rock

[cnn-video url=http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/world/2010/05/04/ctw.holmes.afghan.kabul.rock.band.cnn]

Among the many repressive things the Taliban forced on Afghans was the banning of all music for being "sinful." Today, with the Taliban still an influence, and the country still very conservative, music is back … although who knows what the Taliban would make of Kabul Dreams.

They're thought to be their country's only rock band: three guys who share a love of Coldplay, Oasis and the Beatles.

The Kabul Dreams band members come from different parts of Afghanistan. And all spent parts of their lives in either Iran, Pakistan or Uzbekistan and speak six languages between them, so they settled on singing in English. It avoided arguments, they say, but there was another reason too.

"We were aiming for big things and singing in our language would have limited our audience," says Siddique Ahmad, the bassist in the group.

He says part of their mission is to show another side of their country to the rest of the world. "They think it's all about war and suicide bombings and these things, but we want to show a different picture."

And so the band's lyrics are about the usual stuff of pop: love, friendship, teenage angst - but also hope for their country.

And what about the Taliban, who still run parts of their country?

"Yeah I'm worried, we're worried about this. If they know we are playing this kind of music I'm sure they will try to threaten us," says Ahmad.

Afghanistan doesn't have much of a history when it comes to rock 'n' roll (if really any history) so the band is better known outside their own country, outside their home town. But Kabul Dreams say they're out to change that.

First we have to get our people to accept what we are doing because they've not heard this music from their countrymen," says Mujtaba Habibi, the drummer. "But once they hear us, then hopefully they will like it."

Post by:
Filed under: Life and Culture
  1. Spring

I'm happy glad they are pursuing their dreams though there are many obstacles against them! I'm glad Afghans can finally start singing again after having to experience one of the darkest chapters of human history (the Taliban regime) Music is a very important part of Afghan culture, and before the Taliban we had many singers known in Central Asia, so I wouldn't call this progress as progress is going forward, this is an attempt to go back to how things were before the Taliban and I hope that's possible. One thing that really disappoints me is that everyone on earth has an opinion on Afghanistan even though many don't know much about the nature of the political situation, the culture, or recent history as is evident by some of the comments. There is more to Afghanistan than what you see on t.v.

May 14, 2010 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  2. m

sometimes where you hear things like this you realize that there are some really super cool things in the world when everything seems crazy.

May 10, 2010 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Dariel

Hey that is awesome! Rock and roll for the Afghans, who would have thought. It's a good sign (hopefully), that they are getting their affairs together, and hopefully, this group won't become a footnote, but will remain strong in the face of opposition. Rock on Afghani's, rock on!

May 10, 2010 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  4. BILLIE DAMAN

Aside from the fear of exposed breasts, this story has swayed back and forth to the point the this direction of this story is mute
    As far as the band goes I think it's very cool what they are trying to do, and I wish them luck in their endeavor. And hopefully the Taliban never catches up with you for obvious reasons.
    Where did you get your equipment? I never thought I'd see an electric guitar in Afghanistan.
    Where do you get new guitar strings drum heads and sticks, and amps.
    It would be very cool if there were a way for myself and or others to get you fresh equipment so you can keep on rockin' and have an effect on others with your music and encourage others to do the same because I'm betting your stuff is kinda wore out. If the person that wrote this story has the capability to keep an eye on these guys and give me a clue as how to help them out please do so. I my self am not a musician but I have managed bands for years and know a few people in the music equipment industry I would like to hear more about these guys in the future.

Afghan Guy....you come off as an intellect, but it's for all the wrong reasons dude......I can't beleive you are so smart, but you could put your total of intelligence in a bottle cap, and I'd be happy to throw in some money for a ticket to send you HOME.
    badbillied

May 9, 2010 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
  5. Greg

It only shows that there's so much hope for the Afghani youth, keep on dreaming guys in making this to reality for the better and future Afghanistan....!

May 8, 2010 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse |
  6. MJ

The progressive thinking of these individuals is encouraging to hear. As a veteran of Afghanistan, I have experienced several different types of people within different regions of the country. There are the very strict and conservative, there are the forward thinking, and then there is the taliban (I group these three because this is all I have encoutered). The taliban clearly has an influence on each of the other groups. They intimidate the conservative to keep a foot on the throat of the country. Doing this stifles progression. The forward thinking, much like these 3 Rock-&-Roll(ers), are a threat to the taliban because the relish in progression.

Though Afghanistan is riddled in war and many believe that an American military, or even diplomatic, solution is futile to the efforts of progression, it is safe to agree that for Afghanistan to progress passed the Taliban influence the Afghan people need to stand accountable and take the reigns. This group shows (in an indirect way) that the people can take the reigns of the country, have free thought, progress, and still show respect to religion and country.

May 8, 2010 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  7. ironic

Um... I think the point here is, these kids' music (or the idea of them playing it) sparked all this talk. That what it does. Music was a big part of protest against Vietnam remember? When we play music, we are making personal statements, and that is a right we need to fight for. Nobody tells me what to write when I write a song. I say what I want and accept the consequences that result. These kids are singing about everything but war. Maybe as an escape. Who can fault anyone for wanting to escape such conditions.

May 7, 2010 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Loopy

I hope nobody flags Afghan Guy's 1:18pm post so that everyone can see the "intellect" of this person.

May 7, 2010 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Afghan guy

I like teh fact that Freshta girl talks about how beautiful Afghan women are while saying she is married to a burrito guy. Face it, most of them are ugly, the few that are beautiful are full of themselves and no real Afghan guy would even try getting near her. I would wish more of you stay with the blacks, Mexicans, and other idiots whom you deserve more.

May 7, 2010 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  10. josiah

this is a great thing these guys are doing rock on guys :))))))

May 7, 2010 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  11. Texasmortarman

voice of reason
    Let the twins out

May 7, 2010 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
  12. Onesmallvoice

I suppose that according to this the Afghans will soon stop chanting "Allah Akbar" and start to sing Western rock songs and turn more and more away from religion and engage in Western vices.But I guess that the right-wing thugs in Washington like it.

May 7, 2010 at 9:28 am | Report abuse |
  13. Medic68

Good for them. They are trying to find some normalcy in a country putting up with a lot of S#@*t right now. Not everybody is a soldeir, or a terrorist. Let them do this and try to give some happiness to some people that really need some right now. Party on Dudes!

May 7, 2010 at 4:02 am | Report abuse |
  14. Jester

I hope Rock n Roll i n Afghanistan does not get the treatment that it gets by Record Labels in West and the bad treatment it gets against stupid manufactured Pop artists and their music.

Keep it ROCKING!

May 7, 2010 at 12:19 am | Report abuse |
  15. Non-intervention

Why are we in this country? Ten years later and we are still bombing the place while our country falls to pieces. And for what? So these guys can buy McDonalds and sing Beatles songs? Wow. Freedom. I feel so much safer. Where is Osama? To all you servicemen who think you are securing America's freedom: you make Halliburton rich let America rot.

May 6, 2010 at 10:25 pm | Report abuse |
  16. debbie1433

Afghan Guy- "we" don't want "our women" showing their breasts in public? I completely understand. When I'm headed into the grocery store- boy it really gags me, seeing all those bare breasts everywhere! Common really. You have been brainwashed!!! The women you are refering to are human beings, equal to yourself, with a mind of their own.

May 6, 2010 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Travis

Good luck! I love Rock in any langauge so bring it on.

May 6, 2010 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse |
  18. zunedog

PARTY ON GARTH!!

May 6, 2010 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Arman

The eleventh commandment: "Thou shall rock n roll."

May 6, 2010 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Everything is Deception

In todays World People are Paid if they remove thier clothes and People Get fined if they wants to cover thier face...This is WESTERNIZATION.....

May 6, 2010 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Texasmortarman

Nate it was National Geographic not Time, and time has not been kind to her. (To be fair time has not been good to me either.)

May 6, 2010 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  22. voice of reason

Afghan people are proud, courageous, honorable, and insightful. They are also beautiful, inside out. And, it upsets me that there are people like Afghan Guy who are unfortunately the representatives to Afghans to people like Dave, who wants to meet the "normal" Afghans. It is because of this, and because I have been told for years to do this, I have created my own blog about Pashtuns and Afghanistan. Please check it out. It is totally new but I am working day and night to give everyone a glimpse of what captures me about Afghanistan.

May 6, 2010 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  23. JACKSON

hey Afghan guy...you and those like you, are why the rest of the free and democratic world are fighting you. Your ilk wants to turn the world back into the dark ages, and your 'opinion' of women is so, so wrong, it makes me wonder if you weren't dropped on that thick skull of yours when you were little. Listen to what the women of Arab/Islamic descent have had to say in thise forum...you are the fool due...surely not them. They are to be praised for being the strong women they are. You should be shamed for being the waek and backwards man that you apparantly are!

May 6, 2010 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  24. nate c

Regarding beautiful Afghan women: how quickly some people seem to have forgotten the beautiful blue eyed Afghan girl on the cover of Time magazine back in the 80s. There are some ugly ones for sure, but I have seen plenty of attractive women in Afghanistan and elsewhere in the Middle East. Try spending a day walking through the Dubai Mall, Airport, etc...it's quite an eye-opening experience the first time you see a straight up hottie walking along in a burka, in high heels, with long painted fingernails, designer purpose and cell phone in hand...

May 6, 2010 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Dave

I mean, I must have "gone"

May 6, 2010 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Dave

BTW, I am an average, middle aged white guy with a doctoral degree. I haven't seen the public breasts, either. I must have went to the wrong college.

May 6, 2010 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Dave

Voice of Reason– You seem to be very intelligent and insightful. It makes me wish I kenw some Afghan people personally. I sense they must be brave, creative, smart and diverse. Since I do not know any, I have nothing bad to say about them. I hope a little rock and roll helps to inspire them to fight oppression from within and without. No one should be oppressed in a civilized world

May 6, 2010 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Dave

Soldiergirl– You make me proud to be an American. Thank you for your intelligent discourse and for serving our country.

May 6, 2010 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  29. JACKSON

Coming from a former (and much younger) rock-n-roller, I can only wish these three BRAVE young men all the best and I hope their dreams come true. Now that I'm over 50, my days playing rock-n-roll up and down the east-coast are still the best years of my life. Music has no barriers, no fences. so I only hope that these guys can enjoy their art, their passion and their love for music. Rock on dudes!!

May 6, 2010 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  30. AFGHAN Guy Too

Hey afghan guy, where are the breast? I lived here in the west and haven't seen any out in the public. But what is wrong with the breast anyway? If women want to bare theirs' chest. it theirs rights as human. what are YOU men want to control others. don't like it. move back1 you like it here BC.

May 6, 2010 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Afghan guy

insane1, are you just stupid or do you just not read posts. I love how call me Islamic when I already said god/religion doesn't convince me. I can be an pro-Afghan anti-death/Nato and still not believe in god, or can't I?

May 6, 2010 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Fred

Maybe these guys can help remind the Taliban that life can be fun. Our creator certainly wants us to enjoy the world he gave us–go for it, Kabul Dreams!

May 6, 2010 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  33. B. Ziaze

Stupid americane influenceing. You alls must be execute!

May 6, 2010 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Frishto

LOL @ Marshall!

What Afghan woman have you seen???? Afghan women are some of the most beautiful and exotic looking women in the world. We have blondes, brunettes, red heads, browned eyed, green eyed, blue eyed, hazel eyed, pale faces, olive complexions. We even have ASIANS!!!! LOL, some people are SO ignorant. My husband is not even Afghan, he's Latino, but he is absolutely obsessed with Afghan and Iranian women. We can't all be plain Janes like your people!

May 6, 2010 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Frishto

Afghan guy,

You are right that Afghans need food, water etc. I too have been to Afghanistan but I think being exposed to positive thing is exactly what the people need. If making rock n roll music can temporarily take away the stress in their life, let them do it. They only way to make progress against the Taliban are to keep pushing: play music, send our girls to school, let the women work, FLY KITES, live life again!!! Zindabad Afghanistan!!!!!!!

May 6, 2010 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Frishto

Awwwwwww, that makes me teary eyed! As an Afghan-American, this article means so much to me🙂

May 6, 2010 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  37. voice of reason

Wow, this is getting out of hand, and I really want to stop and enjoy my sinful freedoms here in the land of the corrupt and invaders. as the Afghan Guy would like us to believe, instead of read the CNN post for hours, but I wanted to tell Afghan Guy, you are an embarrassment to the rest of the Afghans because you really have no connections to your own country and cultural otherwise you would point out the Americans who are posted here that Afghanistan was having female shura members decide for whol villages before women could even vote in the US. But it looks to be that you have no cultural knowledge or background and don't really know what you are defending. Therefore, I have a solution for you: you want to work in Afghan government, but as you know, you will need to bribe your fellow Afghan men to do that. And, because I really want you to go back to your country and live the life of Afghans, I will pay for the $40000 you need to be ANA General, no experience needed, just cash, and only US cash, none of the Afghan or Paki crab.

I am sorry, but that is the country you are defending. Get to know it first. Maybe you will even live through it, if you never leave your house in Kabul, like Karzai, who has left his Palace less than 10 times in 8 years! Be like an Afghan Man, like him! You are making all us Afghan Females so proud! So what if we can't bare our breasts in public, we have you to protect our honors! (Hope you are smart enough to sense the sarcasm, but I have my doubts!)

Crazy Afghan Guy ... stop defending a country that I myself love, but I with open eyes!

May 6, 2010 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  38. John

Rock and Roll is the Devil's music, read up on it!
    I'm a canadian and have been doing alot a research on music, alchemy, the ego..etc...
    I'm also a musician so this is a double edged sword.

We are not the thinking kind anymore, too bad...television screwed our hearts and minds, and by doing that, hardened the soul....just thought someone should be the voice of reason. The soul and the body are now 2 and we are all psycho!!!!

May 6, 2010 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
  39. Adam

Love, life and music is "the gift" guys! Rock on!!

May 6, 2010 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
  40. Muslim Rocker

Salam Alaykom,

Like Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure...

Be excellent to each other. And... PARTY ON, DUDES!

May 6, 2010 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
  41. mohsen

Greg let me salut you for what you do for my country in Afghanistan. i am an Afghan as well living in the most beautifull city in the world in US. i appreciate everything this counrty has given me and my family including peacfull minds in Afghanistan. If people like AFGHAN GUY doesn't respect what the Afghan people are doing with what they have, and appreciate the beautifull things in the west i would like to buy him a one way ticket back to Afghanistan. everywhere in the world we see people have no food no clean water no shelter, but they live their dreams through that hardship. so why these yopung Afghans can not live their Rockn Roll dreams. get real Afghan Guy. and if you are that concern why don't you Afghan Guy sell everything you have and send it to those people in need. sell out

May 6, 2010 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
  42. maddy

get'r done guys
    want 2 hear u soon

May 6, 2010 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  43. insane1

AfghanGuy,

Its amazing how you as a man get to decide what women need to have. I have been living in this country for nearly 20 years never seen any breasts in public. I think you might be confusing some of your fantasies with reality.
    You are right Afghanistan has a high demand for basic essentials, however Afghanistan also needs to recapture its culture. YES you heard right, growing beards and beating women in public is not the Afghan culture the country was fairly westernised in the 60s 70s and 80s it seems to me that it was people like your self and your 6th century ideas that resulted in Afghanistans downfall. Its exposts in those days (even under communist rule) were dried fruits, persian rugs ect and other other industries such as tourism all of which honorable. Today its drugs and terrorism. Islamists like yourself need to go back and think about the result of your work.
    At the end I suggest you go back and think about your ideas before the words cross your lips.

May 6, 2010 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  44. impressed

such bravery! i commend you guys!
    and i hope u do well. do not give up!!!!

May 6, 2010 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  45. chris-soldier guy

thats great they are able to do some thing they've never done before, form a rock band, but i think that should not be a priority, like america, the priorities are wrong, we (americans) spend millions of dollars going to the movies to see a cartoon or spend a 100 million dollar's on a painting when we have all these other serious problems in our own country,our own people have trouble making it through the day, if they even make it through the day, america, your (we're) being sold to the highest bidder, wake up, take our country back before it's to late to get it back,
    do you think the band will take it's money earned from performing and put it back into it's country to help it grow (not). as someone said above, there should be more concern for food, water, electricity etc!!!! .the people over there need this kind of help not music, im sure about 90% of the people over there would rather have something to eat than listen to a song.
    it's really sad to see how quick scammers figure out how to scam the needy when a disaster (or war) breaks out

May 6, 2010 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
  46. Peace and Love

Hi to all. I just wanted to give a comment about what "Afghan Guy" here thinks.
    Afghan Guy, you have no idea what Afghan women want. I am myself half Iranian, and as you should know we share many things in common (language, traditions, etc) and listening to Western music or Rock doesn't mean I am going to show off my breast,deny my culture, and be westernised... And moreover I am sure Afghan and Iranian women would agree that it is not up to you men to decide if we are aloud to show our breast or not!!! We have had enough of you guys denying our basic rights falsely in the name of religion.
    Finally, Great Job Kabul Dreams. Although it is true that there is a lack and huge demand for basic needs in Afghanistan, some music (that had been banned for so long in Afghanistan) finally allows some young people to express their felings, and views about this world. Moreover it makes people feel, that for at least the time of one song, war has disappeared and that there is hope!
    Finally here is a quote I found on the net: "Hope is necessary in every condition. The miseries of poverty, sickness, of captivity, would, without this comfort, be insupportable." ~Samuel Johnson
    Love and Peace in the world

May 6, 2010 at 10:08 am | Report abuse |
  47. girl

this is silly.
    our people are risking our lives these people
    who cares about your music your ruining our country.

May 6, 2010 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
  48. lost in time or space

I must have missed something somewhere, with the fghting and dying going on in Afghanistan . . . music, any kind of music is a concern to them???? I don't mean to sound crude, but do they take a time out for music from the fighting? do they carry portable radios with ear phones or those compact cd pkayers into a fight?

May 6, 2010 at 9:07 am | Report abuse |
  49. ken

The Taliban are the most backward ignorant people on the face of the earth. Rock on with your music and if the Taliban don't like it tell them not to listen to it.

May 6, 2010 at 7:41 am | Report abuse |
  50. Mike

I think it was Twisted Sister who sang...."You can't kill Rock & Roll!!!" The middle east needs a METAL band! The taliban is afraid of bands like Slayer and Napalm Death! So c'mon all yee Afgans...show these fools how it's done!

May 6, 2010 at 7:20 am | Report abuse |
  51. from Afghanistan

IN OIL WE TRUST.

May 6, 2010 at 5:06 am | Report abuse |
  52. from Afghanistan

WAR FOR OIL IS UNDER WAY IN IRAQ AND AFGHANISTAN.

May 6, 2010 at 5:05 am | Report abuse |
  53. from Afghanistan

We need engineer, doctors, experts....not rock

May 6, 2010 at 5:03 am | Report abuse |
  54. the clash

degenerate the faithful...rock the casbah.

May 6, 2010 at 4:58 am | Report abuse |
  55. Iraq Paramedic

Soldiergirl, you tell'm. I am up north, C7, if you know that place look me up & we can talk. I was in the infantry in the late 70's, honorable on 5 April '79. C7 clinic KBR LSA. I like what you said to Afghan Guy, you are an intellagent young lady I am sure your parents are proud.
    May GOD bless & keep us all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 6, 2010 at 4:37 am | Report abuse |
  56. Soldiergirl

The only way to really know what is going on in Afghanistan, is to go there and spend time not only in the city but in the rural areas as well. People like Afghan guy say things that really demonstrate a lack of understanding and first hand knowledge of what is going on now and in the past. I wonder how long Aghan guy has really spent in Afghanistan and I wonder if he has travelled all over the country, urban and rural areas. He would know that there are many great and wonderful things happening in Afghanistan as far as progression and humanitarian assistance. Instead of speaking out against something you don't understand, do your research and get involved with groups that provide assistance to Afghanistan. Afghan guy obviously doesn't know the purpose of NATO and servicemembers part in helping Afghanistan.
    I'm also curious as to what college you attended in the U.S. Attending college is definitely something to be grateful for as an American. As a hispanic female, I am very thankful for being able to have the freedom and opportunities that the United States offers and defends. In my college experience, I did not see breasts and I have to admit, I do not see breasts in public, ever!
    Afghan guy, as you continue to grow and develop into a young man, I hope you learn to see the world for what it is and do your part to make it better instead of ranting.

-US Soldier (Afghanistan 2006-2007, Iraq present)

May 6, 2010 at 4:15 am | Report abuse |
  57. Iraq Paramedic

Steve, yes GOD is the same GOD of all, even the Afghan people. Abraham fathered both Ishmael & Isacc just from differant mothers. We are half brothers.
    Afghan Guy, normally I don't resort to personal desriptions but, you are a stinking coward! Sit there in the USA safe & sound & talk about how bad your people have it when a lot of them, not all of them, would give their eye teeth to be where you are. And by the way you are living & acquiesing to & with " INFEDELS" you are a sick person. Get your little cowardly butt over to your homeland & help.
    May GOD bless & keep us all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 6, 2010 at 4:05 am | Report abuse |
  58. tony russo

THEY F*********ING SUCK.

May 6, 2010 at 2:05 am | Report abuse |
  59. Afghan guy

Oh and by the way, voice of reason, I lived in a really really liberal college town when I went to college. My experiences with women come from then. I don't think CNN would even let me post any of em. Sure I was an idiot typical college kid, but once a person grows up, he/she realizes what happened. I wouldn't want Afghans to have to go through that crap. Sure it's fun, but it isn't the right stuff.

May 6, 2010 at 1:41 am | Report abuse |
  60. Afghan guy

Peted, do not assume everyone who doesn't agree with Western values or Western aggression is religious. I hold 2 masters; one of them in philosophy. I have no reason to believe in religion or god. No such a thing exists. Fairy tales dont' convince me.

I am all for equal rights for women. Equal pay, equal responsibility, equal everything. However, equality doesnt' mean to go out there and expose your breasts in public, for example, to show that you are free. Freedom is to live freely, if you dont' bother others. It doesn't give you the right to be stupid or break rules when a majority wouldn't approve of. The Western notion of freedom has done more harm to women than it has done good. Sure it gave women top spots in pop culture/media, but that gave women more reasons to be stupid. In all of my high-end math classes, I never saw a woman...maybe a few Asian ones. But Asian ones are much more intelligent because they are from that society of "macho men" – like that person above called me. Their women arent' given the right to be stupid, spoiled, or just brainless dolls. I am afraid, with all this equality being preached, the Afghan woman's fate will be the same as that of the Ameican one: spoiled and full of herself who cares about no children, husband, father, but only herself.

And to the redneck that said I should get out of the US and go back to Afghanistan. You are right. I should go back. And I would go back, except that country is bombed daily into oblivion by the US. So what difference would it make if I live here or there, when both of the countries are under US control? At least I have some chance at living here, where as in Afghanistan bombing first adn asking questions later is the policy. Here at least a few will condemn such action. Afghans has no powe to stop such a thing. I would only go back if I can somehow get a leadership job in the gov't, specifically in the military. Afghanistan has had to fight invaders since its founding. The only way Afghans can stop that and progress is by making a real strong military. By strong I mean a real strong one that can stop the world's top superpowers from invading it, and the only way to do that is by making a nuclear device. Afghanistan wouldnt' have to fight 3 British invasions, Paki and iranian interference, Soviet invasion, and now the Nato one if Afghanistan had the means to defend itself. What Afghanistan needs to do is put at least 95% of the budget into military for the next 10 years. Once a contry is secure, progression comes natural. No matter hwo pro-West or pro-Nato an Afghan is, he/she will never support the Nato occupation.

May 6, 2010 at 1:33 am | Report abuse |
  61. Afghan guy

Looks like CNN won't let me post anymore comments. They only want to hear sugar talk about Nato.

May 6, 2010 at 1:21 am | Report abuse |
  62. Cecil Nixxon

Tuck the Faliban!

May 5, 2010 at 10:25 pm | Report abuse |
  63. concerned

Really people it is just music!! Sing on hunny, if you can smile or feel uplifted in any way thru this hardship THEN GO FOR IT!! As for all the other bull crap half of you need to research the economy, rituals and culture of Afghanistan. Most have no clean water to drink or food to eat and you worry about thier breast and cleanliness!!!

May 5, 2010 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Daniel-2

@Lennybaby.If what you just blooged in here is correct,the right-wing thugs in Washington along with their cronies in London and Paris couldn't be more pleased.

May 5, 2010 at 9:06 pm | Report abuse |
  65. voice of reason

Marshall, I resent the comment about soap and water. Its not just an Afghan thing. I have set in the metro next to some Americans who smelled so bad, I would have walked for miles just so I didn't have to sit next to that. You should feel privileged and blessed that you can have running water in your bathroom. Most Afghans can't even find drinking water, much less to shower. Show some sensitivity towards your less fortunate fellow human beings.

As for the Afghan breast being inferior, you have no idea what you are missing! And, that is all I am going to say, seeing that I am a proud owner of two of those breast! 🙂'

May 5, 2010 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Lennybaby

I guess that in the near future the Afghans will start chanting "Allah Snackbar" instead of "Allah Akbar".And with this new trend,Islam just might become a thing of the past.

May 5, 2010 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Rock soldier

Good for them.

May 5, 2010 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
  68. steve

Or should I say GOD....

May 5, 2010 at 7:10 pm | Report abuse |
  69. steve

Iraq Paramedic:

they dont believe in your god knuckle head!

May 5, 2010 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
  70. marshall

Hey afghan guy,it is not about becoming westernized or Americanized...it is about being able to sing what ya want,read want ya want,do what ya want own what ya want with out the fear of being executed....and I agree with Texas mortarman...we don;t want to see your womens breast in public either...I have seen seen some of your women....."cringe" lol I prefer a set of American women ,they definitely use soap and water and do not have to worry about giving birth at 12 or 13 years old!!! God bless America and all of our freedoms!!!

May 5, 2010 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
  71. peted

Afghan Macho guy, In some way I see that Westernization is not be all end all for Afghanistan and you indeed would do well to miss out on some of it's excesses.

As for US women showing their breasts, sounds like you have given into the lusty side your basic male human nature and visited some places of ill repute here in US? As far as I'm aware it's usually seen as against the law to be nude in public places, actually the US is still quite prudish about public nudity. (Strip clubs and nudie bars are considered private, and you can do what you want in private).

But your tone seems to indicate you see women as objects who men can manipulate anyway they think, based on doubtfull religious edics you believe in but to which they as women probaly do believe in.

But freedom to express yourself, freedom to get an education, freedom to leave your home, freedom to vote, seem to be universal human rights, not exclusive to Westernization.

I am unaware if there is anything in the KORAN that says that women should be treated so drastically and inhumanely as they have been by the Taliban or Al Queda fanatics in the recent past, I strongly suspect not.

Just think they make up over 50% of any population, so are a majority?
    So I ask you should their voices not be heard? Should they not vote?
    Do you have you anything educating women?
    Should their need for education not be met?
    Should their skills not be used by the Afghanistan nation?
    Should they be relegated to a back room in the household?

A ban on music seems another Taliban edic that somehow only gets credence at the barrel of a AK47? What religous edic is that one based on?

Whilst you let religous ignorant fanatics guide you and govern you by the barrel of a AK47 whilst quoting out of their modified version of the Koran then you will have no credence with the a majority of the nations in the world. And justly so.

May 5, 2010 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
  72. keith

being able to play music without being beaten by Mullahs isnt westernization. i am pretty sure music existed a long time before the United States did. stop hating America. its pathetic. make your own way. you country is what it is because you are too weak to fight for what most people worldwide believe is right.

May 5, 2010 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  73. lulu

Good job guys.

May 5, 2010 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  74. bryan

Keep on rockin in a free world... minus your homeland and N. Korea..

May 5, 2010 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Texasmortarman

Afghan guy, I am right there with you. I too do not want your women to show their breast in public.

May 5, 2010 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Just another guy.

Voice of Reason: Very good point. I sit at work and when I have nothing to do, I read the news. I also read the comments that people have posted just to see their points and see how ignorant people are. That afghan guy has some serious issues and if he doesn't like it here, he can leave. You on the other hand, kudos.

May 5, 2010 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Spizzel

meh, nothing new here.

Watch 'Metal in Baghdad' and come back to this. These guys have it EASY. Hell, was their jam spot blown up by a scud missile? Didnt think so. Acrassicauda had to endure FAR worse.

May 5, 2010 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  78. voice of reason

Its great that people are concerned about the right to play Rock & Roll, and are excited that Afghan kids are able to do what kids have being doing in the rest of the World for years to torture their parents, but I think we are forgetting one big truth: what about the rest of the kids in Afghanistan? I am an Afghan American female, and it makes me happy to hear someone speak in clear English like the kid here, but it makes me sadder for all the Afghan kids who can't even speak properly in their own language, Pahstu or Dari. Those are the kids in the villages, and they are the ones who our US soldiers are interacting with while deployed. How do you explain to the village kids that while they are not able to go to schools because of insecurity, there are kids in Kabul who are able to dream about winning the Grammy?? No really, I want to know how to explain that to them because I had to do it many times, and I know I was not able to give a satisfying answer as to why there is such a HUGE discrepancy in the lives of Afghanistan in Afghanistan. All I know is that, the insurgents are using these discrepancies to recruit young boys in the villages and then our US soldiers have to fight those kids for their lives. It is sickening how fast we have lost sight of what is important to Afghans, if we ever had our sights on it.

BTW, Afghan guy, I have lived in the West for years, and I have yet to bare my breasts, or seen anyone do it in front of me. I must not live in one of those liberal states... bummer.

May 5, 2010 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  79. PietHein

Because seeing breasts is so much worse than seeing someone shot or beaten... puritan values are so outdated.
    Rock on guys, music is the great equalizer.

May 5, 2010 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Wesley

Anyway we can get them to produce a CD for us?

May 5, 2010 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Cali St. lJohn

Great piece on R&R. Forces of social change at work–and yet NOT even ten seconds of sound from the band itself. Where's the Music? I wanteed to HEAR their music. You're reporting on a band and then EXCLUDE the music itself. How dopey is that?
    Who produced that piece? Give him a donut and tell him to work on something else.

May 5, 2010 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Alexander

First off, the name of the band is Kabul Dreams.
    And secondly, Afghan guy, no. Just no. There is more to life, like oh, I don't know, freedom of expression. It would be terrible if women weren't afraid to do certain things, wouldn't it? It'd be aq bloody shame if they didn't have to fear being beatne to death for a "socially unacceptable action" wouldn't it? That whole personal freedom thing only applies if you happen to be a man. Because woman are sub-human and must clearly treat them as such.

And for the stupid in the audience, this is sarcasm.

May 5, 2010 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Chris

Trying again as CNN seems to have censored my last harmless post.

Afghan guy: The problem is you don't OWN the women. They are in control of their own destinies. It doesn't matter what you or the men want.

Mo: The problem with your statement is you clearly contradict yourself. You say our troops are over there fighting for the Afghan's freedom and yet you scold this band for exercising it!

May 5, 2010 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Chris

I forgot to add: A big cheers to Afghan Dream. Keep rockin' guys!

May 5, 2010 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  85. Simon

and when i said realer than any war, i meant the ideals that the war is fought over.

May 5, 2010 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  86. Simon

this is amazing. music is a powerful thing. anything someone can be passionate about without hurting anyone should be celebrated. who cares about the threats? what these kids have is real, much realer than any war.

May 5, 2010 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Nastydaddy

They suck, watch the troops bust in any minute and shoot them all. lol

May 5, 2010 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Robert in Seattle, home of Grunge

Afghan Guy, not all Western women show their breasts in public. Get over yourself and appreciate the fact that music has returned to Afghanistan.....

May 5, 2010 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  89. Brian

Taliban are the worst people in the history. They are uneducated adn they are against humanity.
    hopefully one day their name is not exist and nobody talk about them.

May 5, 2010 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  90. Mo

these people should not be concerned about music when we are sacrificing our loved ones to fight for equality and basic freedoms. the fact that he says he knows there will be threats made because of this is shameful. who will go and protect them when that happens – our soldiers! stop creating more problems when you can't even take control of everything our men and women have set up for you. once you can handle that then you can sing

May 5, 2010 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  91. RustNeverSleeps

Keep on Rockin in the Free World!!!!!

May 5, 2010 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  92. James

May the Gods of Rock smile upon your future, while the Gods of Metal play anthems to your glory!!!!

May 5, 2010 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  93. Mark L.

In the words of Neil Young, "Hey, Hey, My, My....Rock and Roll will NEVER DIE !!" Rock On, Afghanistan, Rock On !!

May 5, 2010 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  94. Afghan guy

Greg, making moves towards Westernization doesn't equate progress. Afghans, most of all, need FOOD and basic needs right now. I am an Afghan and was there a few months ago, and it's sad most of the country has no food, clean water, or electricity. Only Kabul has those things once in awhile, but the rest of them don't. Kabul doesn't represent the rest of the country. Afghans dont' give a crap about this stuff, but need basic stuff.And I have lived in the West, and Afghanistan becoming like the West, the values, is the worst thing that can happen to it. We don't want our women showing their breasts in public.

May 5, 2010 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  95. Col Gregory Breazile, USMC

I am stationed here in Afghanistan with the NATO Training Mission-Afghanistan (www.ntm-a.com ) and want everyone to know that one of the Afghan TV stations has a show called Afghan Star which is just like American Idol. The first Afghan Idol now lives in the U.S. and I have personally met him. That's motivating! They are making progress here!

Semper Fi,
    Greg

May 5, 2010 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  96. Doug

Many things tried to kill rock and roll. They were stricken to the ground! The Taliban will try and kill rock and roll and they will regret what they have found! Rock and roll will outlive terrorism!

May 5, 2010 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  97. Joe

Music is personal. Music is life. Music is a unifying force that scares the control freaks and religious fanatics – always has!

Rock On, Kabul Dreams! Take it everywhere!

May 5, 2010 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Ryan

Keep it Rockin Guys!! Press on!!

May 5, 2010 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  99. Johnny V

Rock on!

May 5, 2010 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
  100. Iraq Paramedic

Good for these kids, I just pray they don't do the stupid stuff I did when I found rock & roll back in the 60's & 70's. Play on young men & help your countrymen & women into a better life.
    May GOD bless & keep us all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 5, 2010 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |