May 3rd, 2010

Suicide bomber attacks outside military base in Khost

KABUL, Afghanistan (CNN) - A suicide bombing in eastern Afghanistan's Khost province killed one civilian and wounded two security guards at the entrance to a military base on Monday, the interior ministry said.

The attack was carried out by a bomber in an explosives-laden car. It followed a roadside bombing in Paktia province Sunday that killed seven civilians, the ministry said.

Monday's attack took place in an old airport by the the Forward Operating Base Chapman - where eight Americans believed to be CIA employees were killed in a suicide bombing in late December.

In that attack, the bomber walked into a gym facility at the base and detonated a suicide vest. It is believed six Americans were wounded in addition to the eight killed.

The airport is used by the United Nations, the military and nongovernmental organizations.

1. lowder

i dont know english so i write in polish czesc lubie twoja stronka niestety mam malo czasu i caly czas ta praca do tego

May 1, 2011 at 5:51 am | Report abuse |
  2. Lennybaby

If you people really support our troops,bring them home and leave Afghanistan for the Afghans.That's the way they want it and the way it should be.If only the right-wing thugs in Washington would realize that!

May 5, 2010 at 12:25 am | Report abuse |
  3. elaine

my son is over there also he told me about it im so worried right now our boys are not in a safe zone like i was told god bless them there is no safe zone in time of war

May 5, 2010 at 12:15 am | Report abuse |
  4. Lynn

My BF is stationed over there....and I sat on nails for 24 hours yesterday waiting to hear from him. I knew something was going on – but I didn't know what till I read it in the news. God, it's a sick feeling wondering if someone you love with all your heart is ok. Prayers to all the Soldiers and Families xo

May 4, 2010 at 10:08 pm | Report abuse |
  5. craig thomas

i support every one of those men an women across seas right now i like there job and i woulf take anyone of there spots right now

May 4, 2010 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
  6. craig

i wonder if anyone now wat it feels like to be in there place. like thugs in washington they dnt now and they will never know wat it feels like.

May 4, 2010 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Daniel

@Onesmallvoice.What you blogged in here certainly does ring true.It's been going on 100 years ago,but much more overtly,which contributed to the outbreak of WW1.I guess that these right-wing thugs in Washington just forgot to read their history books and wish that the rest of us would do the same!

May 4, 2010 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
  8. kevnjes

What true american said is true to the max,its not about a empire establishment,its about the protection of american people,if ya forgot,remember Bin Laudin spell check there,he was supported by the taliban,so a good defense is a strong and powerful offense,was in army now out god bless all the troops and they are the most professional troops in the world good luck be safe

May 4, 2010 at 9:38 am | Report abuse |
  9. TrueAmerican

@Onesmallvoice: You are incredibly naive if you believe that we would be able to "leave Afghanistan to the Afghans". Instead of having a few troops killed here and there (which by the way they signed up for the service knowing the risks), we would have thousands killed at the time by terrorists attacking our homeland. As of now, most of them are caught up fighting our troops in their land. We have a military for a reason, and the men and women in uniform know better than anyone else what that reason is. The protection of America and her people. Why is it so hard for liberals and left-wingers to understand that right now our best defense is a good offense? <–Take this information from someone who is fighting the war, deployed, right now. God bless America and Her people.

May 4, 2010 at 1:03 am | Report abuse |
  10. Onesmallvoice

@THERESA.let's just forget about all of this right-wing bla-bla-bla about what we're trying to accomplish over there which is no more no less than the establishment of the American Anglo-French Empire,bring the boys home and leave Afghanistan to the Afghans.

May 3, 2010 at 10:28 pm | Report abuse |
  11. THERESA

My husband is currently in Afghan and the message I received this morning was "Hey babe, don't watch the news today, but everythings fine here." Of course, I looked it up. To anyone who has loved ones over there, I feel your same emotions. I wish everyone a speedy return...

May 3, 2010 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Contractor

I'm currently at FOB Salerno which is located within eye sight of FOB Chapman. I was doing my job this morning when the VIED went off. I won't go into detail but will tell you this; you should all be proud of the men and women here and what they are trying to accomplish. They are professionals to the letter and I'm honored to work alongside them all. As a recent retiree now working as a DOD contractor I still see that the standard of professionalism is set very high; these are all true patriots trying to make a difference. I can't agree entirely with government on all of its direction but I wil always stand by the troops that are tasked to stand the line. God Bless them all!

Lee B.

May 3, 2010 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Trish

God knows when it gonna stop....war everywhere... bomb blasting, suicide bomb etc.....
    When ones gonna realizes that these things change this beautiful world into ashes...

Donna and Jan i know how u guys feeling right now. have faith in god....

May 3, 2010 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Donna

Jan,

I have 2 sons, 1 grandson, and 1 grand-daughter in Afghanistan now. My prayers are with you.

For those of you who are so quick to condemn, this is what we mothers live with on a daily basis.
    Fear, sometimes paralyzing, as we watch each newscast, sometimes not certain if we will ever again be able to take a deep breath.

Donna

May 3, 2010 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Jan

I have a son in the Army in Afghanistan at the same base that was bombed yesterday. I have not heard anything from him. Worried and waiting. Someone please tell Mr. Obama that this war cannot be won.
    The Taliban will always be available to do their meaness. Please pray for all our troops over there. They have a hard task ahead of them.

May 3, 2010 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Jack

It doesn't matter if you are a left winger or a right winger. Afghanistan cannot have a successful centralized Govt unless the sharia becomes the law of the land. Trying to force a western syle democracy, women's lib etc will not work. The day US steps out of Afghanistan, there will be chaos. US cannot afford to be there permanently spending billions of tax payer dollars on a futile exercise.
    Just get out of Afganisatan and secure the US borders.

May 3, 2010 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
  17. JO

Uh Daniel-2, the left wing hand wringers are in power in Washington. You may want to pay attention to the elections.

May 3, 2010 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
  18. Iraq Paramedic

It sounds like the Taliban are stepping up the pace a little, they must be mad about getting there buts kicked.
    May GOD bless & keep us all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 3, 2010 at 10:21 am | Report abuse |
  19. ITRIEDEL

Damn, how about some news, im headed there in june for 420 days... that same base

May 3, 2010 at 8:43 am | Report abuse |
  20. Daniel-2

It just goes on and on,but do the right-wing thugs in Washington care? I suppose not.

May 3, 2010 at 8:40 am | Report abuse |