April 29th, 2010

Reminders of a hell for 1,000 men

This place was a cannery, for many years pumping out thousands and thousands of cans of fruit every day. But for one year, during Taliban control of Kandahar, it was something very different. This cavernous, and now eerie storage area became a prison, hell for a 1,000 men.

Through it all, Popeye was here – he came when he was 13 to work in the cannery, and that was 45 years ago.  Popeye’s not his real name of course — the Canadian soldiers nicknamed him for his work ethic. He still fears the Taliban to the point where he doesn’t want his face shown, but wanted to show us what the prisoners left behind — drawings that paint a vivid picture of their misery.

Post by:
Filed under: Taliban
  1. Gligli

I just don't see why not believing in your point of view is such a bad thing... Why do I have to go to your hell because I like to do things my way? I'm doing nothing wrong, I'm not putting down your faith or killing your followers but I'm going to the same place as rapists and murderers because I have a different view on things... I don't like it. I'll stick with my own form of Agnosticism.

May 7, 2010 at 1:42 am | Report abuse |
  2. censorship

Angie – We don't need a book. Reality is all we need to understand Muslims/Islame.

May 6, 2010 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Angie

Wow...I just finished reading the rest of you people's post. Wow, it's scary and quite shocking how little you people know. Most of you sound like a bunch of hillbillies with a third grade education. If Islam is so hateful, why does it praise Jesus Christ (pbuh)for being a great Prophet of God who will one day return and save us all from the Anti-Christ? Why is Jesus (pbuh) mentioned in the Quran three times more than Mohammad (pbuh)? When refering to Jesus, why do Muslims always say, "may PEACE be upon him?" Why does Islam say never be the aggressor, but always defend yourself? Why does Islam say that paradise lies at the foot of your mother?? Why do Muslims say Peace be unto you, when greeting each other??? Wait let me stop, I'm sure YOU ALL know more about it than I do, even though I was born a Muslim. Here's a great tip, there's an EASY read called "An idiot's guide to understanding Islam." You can buy it off of Amazon for a couple bucks.

May 6, 2010 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Angie

SethC:

What the heck are you talking about? Do you not remember the Soviet invasion in the late 70's???? Then the Taliban taking over (with US help)??? What does this have to do with God? People convert to Islam because IT IS a religion of peace, as a matter of fact it is the fastest growing religion in the world-AND FOR GOOD REASON. It's obvious you know nothing about politics, much less Afghan politics. Go educate yourself, you have no idea how RIDICULOUS you sound. If any Muslim kills innocent people, that has nothing to do with Islam, most likely they are brainwashed (kinda like YOU).

If I remember correctly, Hitler was a Christian.

May 6, 2010 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  5. jr

We need to do that to all the illegals in the country and the people who shun the american flag on cinco de mayo

May 6, 2010 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Real American

(4) Every human being has the responsibility to control human population growth to ensure that natural resources are sustainable.

Yes, we need to stop breeding like rabbits.... 19 kids and more is insane.

May 6, 2010 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  7. dale13

Daniel-2 is brainwashed or incapable to think for himself without the help of mass media.

I have served in Afghanistan and at this point they are not capable for self determination without assitance. Why don't you go over there and see you yourself. You don't have to be in the military like me to do that. They are many charity groups working hard to help the Afghan people live a better life which you could volunteer and see what life is like over there. Its hard to form an accurate opinion from the sidelines.

May 6, 2010 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Rick Darrow

All the atrocities they have done against their own people. Their twisted radical religion they live by. Let em rot in prison.

May 6, 2010 at 6:19 am | Report abuse |
  9. Chris T

What is the greatest sickness afflicting humans? Cancer? AIDS? No – it's religion. Religion is the cause for more killing in the history of the category on planet earth. And, unfortunately, no matter how much technology, wisdom, innovation, etc. we muster – it will always be so.

Praise to your God...

May 5, 2010 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |
  10. censorship

John – It's totally about religion. Or in this case Islame. You know. Devil worship.

May 5, 2010 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Mike Woodring

Speaking for myself, I would never have gotten off on the religious aspect if God and faith and Billy Graham hadn't been bashed in the first place.

But I will not sit idly by while atheists and other naysayers spout off their misinformation on subjects about which they know nothing.

Ever heard the term, "Defender of the Faith"? Well, I'm one of those people and most honored to be so. If you bash my faith and extensions of it, I will respond.

May 5, 2010 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
  12. censorship

Nothing like what their women have to deal with every day. Taliban men treat their camels better than their women. Pathetic. How can any women choose Islame? Oh they don't. It's forced on them.

May 5, 2010 at 8:53 pm | Report abuse |
  13. John

I agree with Cheryl.....wish everyone commented on the subject and not get side tracked in religion, politics and pure BS.......so many ignorant people here making ignorant comments. GOD BLESS AMERICA !!

May 5, 2010 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Cheryl

How in the world did this discussion turn into religion and Billy Graham for goodness sake? ! I thought it was about...........a CANNERY, that for many years had been pumping out thousands and thousands of cans of fruit every day. And for one year, during Taliban control of Kandahar, it was something very different, a prison, a HELL for 1000 men. I would say about 99.9 % of the comments here are not about the subject that was written. Would you all stick to the subject or DON'T comment!!!

May 5, 2010 at 4:12 am | Report abuse |
  15. marky

Daniel 2 is absurd to suggest its a stupid war.... We must get rid of all the evil there...

Does he know just this month alone Muslim Fanatics have killed 400 people worldwide just because they were non muslims... if you dont get rid of them now in time they will come for you Daneil...whats it like being in denial all this time...... You still dont get it do you !!!

May 5, 2010 at 3:48 am | Report abuse |
  16. George W. Davis, III

The Taliban has caused so much suffering in Afghanistan that there would be no justice if they are allowed to remain in control or in existence for that matter. They remind us of Nazi Germany or Stalinist Russia in the way they exercise brutality.

I do not understand the comments made in reference to Reverend Billy Graham, but if I had to choose I'd pick his team. This life is really good but eternal life is way better! Keep the faith.

George D.

May 4, 2010 at 7:44 pm | Report abuse |
  17. erick d

religion is not the one we should blame for every tragedy. The rulers and ordunary people who use it to endanger people are at fault,seriously.

May 4, 2010 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Bob the Janitor

I feel sorry for those of you who feel compelled to put down Christians and our beliefs. I will feel even more sorry for you when the final judgment comes and you realize that you had a chance to save yourself but were too blinded by this evil world to open your hearts to the creator of everything from entire universe all the way down to atoms and DNA. The hole in your heart can't be filled by anything but God. The sooner you come to realize His love, the better your life will be. Frankly, I hope you'll change your mind and spend eternity in Heaven. I'll be praying for you...

May 4, 2010 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
  19. James

You see this? The media doesn't want us to waver on our support for the war. The militay industrial complex is making too much money to allow that to happen. Bush or Obama, it doesn't matter, just show them the money!

May 4, 2010 at 9:12 am | Report abuse |
  20. WB

To all those who believe there is no God...I read your name in a book today.....The Holy Bible, The fool hath said in his heart there is no God

May 4, 2010 at 9:04 am | Report abuse |
  21. greenmonsterbeliever

For the Andy Carter followers out there:

Let me give you an interesting tale:

There is a big green invisible monster who lives under your house that you can't see! (Chuckle, I know-green and invisible!)
    If you believe in him when you die he will let your spirit go to a place where you get to eat chocolate candy.
    If you don't one night he will come and eat you and you will live in his stomach forever burning in the gastric acids.
    You have a lot to lose by not believing in him and no harm in believing! Now tell me, do really truly believe in the invisible green monster under your house?

For those younger members out there:
    green invisible monster= deity
    place with chocolate candy=heaven
    stomach with acids=hell.

When the argument is put in terms without all the emotional baggage, I bet I don't get a lot of takers from all of you followers of Andy's arguments.

May 4, 2010 at 8:57 am | Report abuse |
  22. max

yes suck mine afgnans and my frends

May 4, 2010 at 8:35 am | Report abuse |
  23. DJ

In response to the post from FreddieK from 29 Apr. It list 6 "rules" for humans to follow. This already in the Bible. If folks would study the Bible and live like Jesus, then the world would be a perfect place. The Bible descibes what is wrong with the world now - man is rejecting God and tryig to rule himself without God. Man will discover that it can't be done.

May 4, 2010 at 7:20 am | Report abuse |
  24. Robert W. , Canada

Thanks BMOC. Things are similar north of the border too. We have a Conservative government in Canada currently that is constantly under attack from the left no matter how well things are going. We came through the finacial meltdown with flying colors and a minimum of true damage and yet the government is constantly criticized. I'm safe and sound, eat every day and enjoy raising my children in this society. I spend lots of time in NYC at my folks place and am so taken aback by the vitriole down there. 9/11 has come and gone and people truly forget that feeling when the sands were shifting beneath your feet that day and a nation was scared (and deserved to be). What happened since then? A nation divided and polarized. The loss of productivity is staggering. We gotta get our act back together...

May 3, 2010 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse |
  25. BMOC

It's amazing how much the anonymity of the web creates muscles...better than a case of shweeliepops and a UFC PPV...I do notice, however, how the vitriol spewed by you so-called "enlightened" atheists and agnostics just reeks of your own anger and hatred...

Whether you are a Christian, a Muslim, a Buddhist, an Agnostic, a full frontal Atheist or WHATEVER, to come on these forums and be a cynical buffoon shows you for who you are...

Thanks to those of you who post with respect, thank you. Andy Carter, in particular, has it right by me...

And Robert W. in Canada...it doesn't look any better from inside the ropes...this entire generation of Americans is full of cynical little egos that all think they're smarter than the next guy...

Just think of the productivity lost to this stuff...somewhere out there is the portion of our nation's output lost to these boards...if we saw the number we'd barf, I'm certain of that...

May 3, 2010 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
  26. w00diee

I believe Billy Graham is a man of integrity, more so than most men, most especially men who do not believe in anything, or have no faith. How can one judge a man of God, without understanding why he sacrifices as he does? It is this misunderstanding that drives the non-believer to ridiculous conclusions. Rev Graham cannot be explained, but he is a very real, and has been witnessed too often to question.

May 3, 2010 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
  27. gheezy

Religion is false, gods were very smart humans from another world. God = King of Wisdom, they are not creators of the world or the universe. God(s) have shown us the way to develop as a society not someone who created everything or someone to fear. There is more evidence in ancient civilizations that point to this but science ignores it and explains in falsely.

May 3, 2010 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Andy Carter

Both sides of this argument are taking a position on faith – either belief that Christ is who He says He is, or a belief that He isn't. I am a Christian but, arguing from a purely logical perspective, I am willing to admit that one of us is wrong.
    If I am wrong I have lost nothing except a few years of self-interested lifestyle that would probably have caused me a great deal of pain and misery anyway, and then oblivion. But if YOU are wrong you have exchanged the most priceless gift imaginable for an eternity of sorrow and regret...forever. Now, even from a purely secular point of view, which one of us is taking the most defensible position?
    Andy, Virginia

May 3, 2010 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Yeahimright

God isn't about religion, Nor is religion about God, God originated from the ability to reason right from wrong, The idea of why good is superior to evil in any social setting. This was proposed to act as a buffer between 1 man and another so that they could live together in peace. However stupidity reigns supreme in the human animal and soon they had religious differences.
    It is clear through deductive reasoning of creation and the continuing complexity of creation that supreme intellect is an eventuality. Since mankind has no real ability to understand the actual amount of time that may have passed we have no way of knowing whether this eventually already occured. So we can only apply a logical analysis of what supreme intelligence would encompass and I'm absolutely positive that it isn't in the Quran,Torah,Bible. All of these books are written biasly in the idea of conforming others to a singular idea.
    If anyone really wants to understand God they need to understand that the only thing that separates one man from another is whether they are good or evil. The good one will be benign as he knows that only by being tolerant others can he mantain his good, The bad one will try to make others believe the same way as he does whether it be by force,subversion,or fear as he lacks the the ability to understand the idea of what divinity actually is and since he will be blinded by his own vanity will continue to tote his religion to others in order to justify his cause.These are the facts.
    My opinion of this is that when each of all are called to account the good man will need to say nothing and the bad man shall be full of all his good deeds and how he saved all those soals.I could quote a novel's worth but shall end this here.

May 3, 2010 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  30. gheezy

You guys really want to know why religions are enslaving or for the matter religions are invalid?
    Think about this, a group of Christian Europeans went to Africa and enslaved the Africans for labor. At these times, Africans did not partake in the top 3 religions until after they were brought to America. This explains religions mind control, you take a group, enslave them, and later down their line their offspring are now Christians. I've never understood why Black people are primarily Christians.

May 3, 2010 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  31. ted

Reilgious fanatics will believe anything over the top like life everlasting, eternal this and that, and of course hell, which is where most of them belong.

May 3, 2010 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Robert W. , Canada

I always looked up to the U.S. as a proud and fabulous nation. I read this and realize the division that exists between the left and the right is splitting you. The amount of anger and resentment within the country on politics and religion is staggering. You may be right and you may be wrong but at least care about your country. It's like the Fall of the Roman Empire from within. Have another look around you. It's not a bad deal folks. You don't know what you've got til it's gone.
    Respectfully,

May 3, 2010 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Wendy

Daniel-2: You are exactly right! The Taliban is just a misunderstood group of people who have been driven to brutality and evil by a down right mean America. This was definitely right wing propaganda. Thank goodness we have people like you to tell the truth and help us see through the lies. We shoud pay more attention to left wing thugs such as yourself!

I seriously think you need help Daniel.

May 3, 2010 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Aaron

I cannot stand the anti-Billy Graham comments he has nothing to do with this. You last day scoffers are going to be sorry one of these days. You have never disproven the Bille and offered us any alternative in return. After death comes the judgment. You say you do not belive it but it is true whether you believe it or not. My tip for you would be to know what 666 means and don't take it, unless you want to go to that's right -HELL. Not to poplular witrh old slick Joel Oseen thats because he does not really teach the Bible-sorry dude- the Bible speaks of hell more than heaven.

May 3, 2010 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  35. soon seeing red again

CHRISTIANITY IS STUPID wow what a way to live. Does your mom know you are on the computer again??

May 3, 2010 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  36. soon seeing red againred sta

bm ? does that stand for but munch??

May 3, 2010 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Don

"And the disciples came and said to Him, 'Why do You speak to them in parables?' He answered and said to them, 'Because it has been given to you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it has not been given. ...

Therefore I speak to them in parables, because seeing they do not see, and hearing they do not hear, nor do they understand. And in them the prophecy of Isaiah is fulfilled, which says: ‘Hearing you will hear and shall not understand, and seeing you will see and not perceive; for the hearts of this people have grown dull. Their ears are hard of hearing, and their eyes they have closed...." Matthew 13:10-15

May 3, 2010 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  38. danishdude

Joe R. said "LOOOOOOOOOOL! Atheists continue to attack a God they don't even believe exists! They also insult the intelligence of those who have faith in God and yet, they're not intelligent enough to actually prove their own beliefs are correct (i.e. the THEORY of evolution, the Big Bang THEORY, etc.). How funny!"

Joe R makes the biggest mistake of all... He has somehow convinced himself that anyone who believes in evolution must be an atheist. Sorry, Joe, you're a moron! There are many of us Christians who also inject a little science into our beliefs. It's not that we don't believe; it's just that some of us see the biblical story of creation as a means of conveying something that was rather complex (and unexplainable) to people who, at the time, were rather 'simple' folks. If I was the kind of person Joe R. is I might say that 'simple' folks like Joe R. still exist today!

I worship my Lord and am faithful to his teachings but I take exception to 'simple' folks like Joe who think they know better than I which cosmetic minutiae I should believe...

May 3, 2010 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  39. bill in DE

Oh yeah, leaving other countries out of Afghanistan really did the trick in the 90's.. It would be great if the Islamic extremists only attacked bleeding-heart-liberals, but since they hate us all equally, they need to be stopped...

May 3, 2010 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  40. FreddieK

Sol my 'tenets' are simpleminded but au contraire quite realistic ! Revelation 1.1: On May 22 2010 Inter Milan will win the Champions League final beating Bayern Munich and the "Special One" Jose Mourinho will state my tenets to the billions of viewers from around the world. The masses will realize the faults of current human thinking convert to my tenets as the principle reason for all of human existence and we will have paradise on Earth until the Sun burns us all to a crisp !

May 3, 2010 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  41. ram

By the power of the Holy Spirit,those of you that condem almighty God will suffer the rest of your life///////It will happen///ram

May 3, 2010 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  42. ghaste

steve: ......wow, totally clueless! Your display of stupidity is amazing.

May 3, 2010 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  43. CajunChef

Lets see, if I remember that it was the Taliban who made life hell for all believers of any other understanding. Therefore if it is the taliban who are the prisoners, they deserve their own hell. If however, the prisoners are the other free- thinkers, then they should rise up and destroy the Taliban.

The Taliban are a bunch of disenfranchised youth following older paranoid sociopaths. History has shown that muslem domination of the world has been unsuccessful in the past and it will be now as well. Whether one likes it or not this is a religious war started by Bush and will only be over when they are destroyed unconditionally

May 3, 2010 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Curtis

It amazes me the "facts" that people can come up with to discredit someone they hate – i.e. Billy Graham. Never has Graham asked for money. His "mansion" is a two-bedroom wooden house in the mountains of N.C. – a house that most people who could afford a house could own. His lifestyle has always been one of modesty. When his wife was in the hospital in Asheville, NC, he would speak to whoever was in the waiting room – that same as a decent person would. But then, many in this forum knows nothing about decency – only hate for a person they don't even know.

May 3, 2010 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Roberta

Isn't ironic that people complain about the conditions in Taliban prisons??? I wonder how well the Taliban treat THEIR prisoners?

May 3, 2010 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  46. Paul

When did Billy Graham go to Afganistan?
    Christian women were suppressed for centuries. Not all societies evolve at the same time.

May 3, 2010 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
  47. Roberta

Isn't ironic that people complain about the conditions in Taleban prisons??? I wonder how well the Taleban treat THEIR prisoners?

May 3, 2010 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  48. MayDay

Chloe hit it on the spot.

May 3, 2010 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
  49. Chloe

wow, just wow. You guys are letting the Taliban win, you know that? Just look at yourselves- Normal, decent Americans turned into the Christian fundamentalist version of the Muslim fundamentalists. The sad part is most Americans are not even aware they've let this happen to themselves. I've never heard so many rabid, vitriol laden comments as when it comes to people arguing religion of any sort. You can't tell the Muslims from the Christians anymore; change "Jehovah" to "Allah" and it all sounds just the same. If you want to prove yourselves better than them, then QUIT ACTING LIKE THEM.

May 3, 2010 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
  50. The True Light

You can believe what ever you want. That's a personal preference. I myself believe that the bible was written by man when the masses were out of control and the leaders needed something to keep them in line. So they got together and made up stories of what would happen to you if you didn't believe the way they did. So look at today. Islam or christianity both believe that if you don't follow them you will die in a place they called hell. And if you are a good person you will go to a place they call heaven. How interesting. Has anyone ever been to either of these two places and returned to tell the living about them. NO!!!!!!. So until someone can give me a real back from the dead and I mean dead experience, I will believe as I like and see what happens in the end. Until then, I won't go around telling everyone they are sinners and will go to a place someone made up.

May 3, 2010 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
  51. Kry'noch

Point blank. Christianity is stupid. It doesn't help anything!

May 3, 2010 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
  52. karla

What does Billy Graham has to do with this?

May 3, 2010 at 8:55 am | Report abuse |
  53. Hatem

God does not ask for 10% of what you earn, maybe the church does, but Islam for example asks for nothing. We need to pay to charity and it is done directly from the person giving to the person receiving with no intermediary. The whole atheism movement started in rejection the Church and not God Himself or religion itself. That is why there are hardly any Muslims who become atheist. We believe in God for many reasons and have no reason to doubt his existence. As for the money angle, I too would be doubtful if some guy claimed he received some bills on God's behalf and needed to collect!! Anyone claiming God needs your money is for sure fooling you. Giving to the poor though, that's just decent. I repect a God who urges you to give to the poor but have no time for middle-men collecting your cash and promising to hand it over to God and/or the poor

May 3, 2010 at 8:32 am | Report abuse |
  54. Kamran

If US and other NATO countries really want to win this war, they should first remove Taleban and Alqaida hideouts and bases in Pakistan. That is it.

May 3, 2010 at 7:47 am | Report abuse |
  55. Jayphil

Interesting article!

May 3, 2010 at 7:04 am | Report abuse |
  56. Turtle

More war propaganda. No one really knows about this. They are taking an account from this "Pop Eye" dude and who knows anything about him? He most likely some old delusional opium addict.
    And, speaking of opium, as soon as the Taliban came to power they made it a standard operating policy to behead anyone caught growing it.
    Not until the US invaded Afghan did it ever become safe to grow there and now they are growing record crop yields.
    Bush, Cheney and Rumsfeld should be in jail awaiting trial for warcrimes.

May 2, 2010 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Mike Woodring

Margaret- If Billy Graham isn't alive anymore, then you'd better let him know because he just had a short meeting President Obama a few days ago.

May 2, 2010 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Mike (NZL)

People still believe in gods?

Okay, I'll come back in another couple of decades and see where that is getting us.

Kind Regards,

Mike.

May 2, 2010 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Larry

That is what I get for being a jerk. My spelling was atrocious. Sorry!

May 2, 2010 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Larry

Hillbillies! Learn haow to spell and writel proper grammar. I do not care about Billy Graham, God is real and GREAT!

May 2, 2010 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Margaret

What venom. To think our soldiers are dying for the privilege of having this kind of conversation. God help us all. What does Billy Graham have to do with this? He isn't even alive anymore.

May 2, 2010 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
  62. levend

You forget Algeria
    France Killed and supported the killing – 1.5 mil Algerians
    How many native Americans did the US kill again?
    almost every powerful country on this planet has its hands bloodied. History books seem to hide these facts – To the victors comes the right to change history.

May 2, 2010 at 7:14 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Alfred Hussein Neuman

Jim D > you are just engaging in wishful thinking.
    Crusades: between 3-5 million deaths on both sides
    Spanish Inquisition: 32,000
    Salem Witch hunts: 24 confirmed deaths

China (Mao) 40-65 million
    Russia (Stalin) 20 million
    Cambodia 2 million
    N. Korea 2 million
    Fascist Germany: 6+ million

Interesting:
    Mongol Conquests 40 million
    Zulu conquest of South Africa 500,000-2 million

May 2, 2010 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
  64. keith

“The only thing that will help Afghanistan is get the foreign troops the hell out of there and let the Afghans decide their own future . . .”

The last time we tried this, we got 9/11 as a result.

May 2, 2010 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
  65. rkm63

Islam is evil and I love Billy Graham. God bless him and God bless America!

May 2, 2010 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  66. David j

It matters not to God if you believe or not,he will have the last laugh,this world is crumbling fast,The fool has said in his heart ,There is no God.They are corrupt,they have done abominable works,there is none that doeth good,it only takes one sin not to get into heaven,
    so i hope you find jesus soon because there will be weeping and knashing of teeth where the worm dieth not!!

May 2, 2010 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Trash

God is no threat, there is no god.

The threat is from religion, religion is inherently evil.

May 2, 2010 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Mike Woodring

One of the questions I have is why atheists spend so much time protesting and complaining about something they don't believe in anyhow. Why is God, whom they supposedly don't believe, such a threat to them?

May 2, 2010 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  69. SAS

Popeye came when he was 13 and it's now 45 years later, that makes him 58. I think someone should check on the stats.

May 2, 2010 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Pedro

re: Upperdek: "Sorry to say, your "2 cents" are worth about... two cents.
    Graham is a criminal, preying (not praying) on the weak-minded, illiterate masses, in the way that purveyors of religion have always done. Falwell, Robertson, Graham... all the same."

Interesting that you chose only these "criminals." Would you add the Reverend Martin Luther King, Gandhi, Reverend Al Sharpton, Reverend Jesse Jackson etc. to this list as well? Or does that not support your agenda? You hypocrite.

May 2, 2010 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Diplodogus

Folks,

I may be that bad guy here but Billy Graham happens to be one of the very few televangelists who happened to appear legit so please spare us all your uneducated and scathing criticisms. You may also try to stay on point.

That point being that the overall article is not newsworthy. The Taiban had a prison when they ruled Afghanistan, that prison didnt live up to our standards and may have had some political prisoners in it. Big deal. Have you looked at our own corrections systems lately? Or those of our allies in the Global War on Terror as I have? If you did you would, probably be very upset by some of the very poor examples of our own humanity. And if you were upset, would you then go out and blame the Democrats? Republicans? Do you hear anything about our own prison systems in the news and does anyone get upset about it?

That being said, you really have to get out of whatever small town, small clique boxes you were born in and reallize that the world is a big, complicated and wonderful place that you really do not know enough about to even begin spreading much of the antithetical moronese that was blogged above.

Read and stay on point.

May 2, 2010 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
  72. wasted1

A Taliban prison would not be a good place for anyone... I think we should pack up and go. I fear this Iranian antagonism is what's really keeping us in the region. Let Israel do our dirty work and wipe out the Iranian facilities. We are all headed for a really bad situation.

May 2, 2010 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
  73. jim d

The godless communists and fascists have killed more innocents in the name of their aethist utopia then Christians ever did.

negative, ghost rider. remember the crusades?? remember the spanish inquisition? remember the "witch trials"???

May 2, 2010 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
  74. jake

I seriously think this is a propaganda video, jsut to show everyone that the international forces r doing the best thing to be there,..and they have to show this kind of propaganda since they have never found bin ladin and killed millions of innocent people while capturing afghanistan.

it is so easy, would prisoners make helicopters? cows and sheeps on the walls? this was last used in 1994,i can simply say, kids over the years have made these pictures, if taliban were so strict, they would let prisoners become painters?

imperial britain used such propaganda when they captured new countries, they would tell british people that, africans eat human beings and indians rape white women, and just like all u people, they would get the backing from the people and would conquer new countries

May 2, 2010 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
  75. Spartacus

I know who did the times square car bomb - hank hill! The man's gottta sell propane somehow!

May 2, 2010 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
  76. NIck

"Take the 10 commandments for instance, if man lived by these simple 10 rules we would not need another law, plain and simple."

Dumbest thing I have heard all year.

May 2, 2010 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
  77. NIck

y'all need to read some Hume

May 2, 2010 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
  78. Mike Woodring

Emile Zola- Let's just address the "living in luxury". Billy Graham does not live in luxury. He has no mansions, no palaces. He has a comfortable log cabin on a mountain in Montreat, North Carolina where he has lived since the 1950s.

And another thing. Billy Graham would be the first person to tell you that no, preaching and good deeds do not buy you a place in heaven, Only taking Christ as your savior and believing that he died on the cross for your sins will allow you to be in heaven with God when you die.

Obviously you are one of these people who thinks that Ministers should live in abject poverty with no money whatsoever, and this is a misguided notion. If a person is a Minister, he is so busy with his ministerial responsibilities he has no time for another job. If he is serving the church in so many roles, he needs to have a means of support to pay his own mortgage and this is why ministers are on staff.

People like you will forever be ignorant about just what people like Billy Graham are all about. Now if you want to talk about the likes of Creeflo Dollar, I would agree with you, or with Joyce Meyers, but B.G. has maintained fiscal responsibility and honor throughout his life.

Get your facts straight before you post all of your misinformation. It only makes YOU look slanted.

May 2, 2010 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
  79. Bill

I thought I was supposed to be reading about Afghan Prisons, not Jesus Crispies. For the record I distrust anyone who espouses the benefits of Organized Religion.. it's not Spirituality. Spirituality is one's own relationship with the Higher Power. Organized Religion is all about manipulating the weaker minded. Having said that, BG is probably the most honest of all the marketeers in the temple. The Graham family have always been above board in this regard, not like, say, a Jim Bakker or Oral Roberts. Graham is genuine. Now, can we get back to the subject at hand?

May 2, 2010 at 9:31 am | Report abuse |
  80. psayre

SOMEDAY...people will evolve and figure out that the only way to live peaceable is through individual contact and individual freedom. Collective entities like Religion and Government are what keep people at each others throats...not individuals. The typical Muslim has no reason to hate the typical Jew or Christian, the Typical American just wants to be left alone as does the typical Iranian or Afghani....but you put people in power, legitimize them with the lie of a vote, fuel them with religion and give them the legal or religious right to order you to die for a "cause" or Murder a man you've never met because he is a threat to the "Common good" and you have the makings of tyranny, war and strife.

Government is evil...religion and government more so. And until the sheep stop grazing, raise their heads and see that they are all just being led to the slaughter of their "leaders" nothing will change.

May 2, 2010 at 9:16 am | Report abuse |
  81. Bryan

Daniel-2,

Were the Killing Fields a ploy to get us back into SE Asia? Was the Holocaust a set up by the Roosevelt administration to get us into WWII? Was the Cultural Revolution a hoax designed to ruin detente with China? Was Darfur made up so that Democrats would have a wedge issue in 2008? The answer of course is obviously no to all of the above. The Taliban are every bit as brutal as the infamous regimes that perpetrated the most notorious crimes against humanity. Denying and tolerating crimes against humanity only serves to encourage further depradations.

May 2, 2010 at 8:29 am | Report abuse |
  82. paul

Most of you just dont get it. Christianity, whether or not you believe in God, Noah's Ark, Adam and Eve,, etc., etc. is an absolute if for nothing else some sort of a moral platform. Take the 10 commandments for instance, if man lived by these simple 10 rules we would not need another law, plain and simple. Man needs some sort of a moral compass and the bible is the closest thing we have to this like it or not. Fight it, ignore it, try to condem it and the anarchy that is happening is what insues.

May 2, 2010 at 7:11 am | Report abuse |
  83. Jon

Wow. Comments on CNN are always so incredibly hostile...I have never read comments that dont relate toward right or left wing bashing, racism, saying how religion either causes wars and is for blind idiots or that if you dont believe in religion you are evil. I dont even think most comments are from people who even care about news or are willing to discuss something relevant. But since religion is randomly once again the topic of choice...I really do feel more often than not people here absolutely love to ridicule religion by saying the most offensive and rude shit that comes to mind. Trust me I know there are quite a few Christians who do the opposite and come off sounding really stupid trying to represent Christianity in ways that any true believer would never condone, but the overall hostility toward Christianity as well as Islam is unbelievable. May be shocking, but not all Christians are Republicans..I and many others are Democrats, Liberals, Moderates, or any other branch. Politics have nothing to do with following Christ, just seems that way because many of the ridiculous "Christians" are Republican and use religion as a way to gain support for something..which is sad. Most Christian Republicans are great people, but they aren't the ones making the news by falsely running their mouths in the name of God. I am a follower of Christ. I don't get into denominations because thats where the true message is lost. The "Christians" who do terrible things that make the headlines have nothing to do with the message of Christ, they are just idiots who tarnish and bring shame to the term and reputation, and meaning of Christianity. The same can obviously be said for Muslims, the vast majority are peaceful, wonderful people. I would say that 95% of headlines only showcase people that make religion look terrible. And to an extent I can see why so many people are against the idea when they only read stuff like that. But instead of ignorantly attacking Christianity like so many of you do, remember that humans are the ones to blame for this, not the fundamental teachings of Christ. I am a follower out of choice, not cause it was forced upon me, and it has positively changed my life in ways I cant describe. I have no problem with non-believers whatsoever, but just dont be an asshole about it, especially when your entire argument is based on the actions of a person and not the spoken messages of Jesus. Even an atheist can read what Jesus had to say and agree that its some pretty intelligent stuff. And a lot of angry people on here could benefit from the part about not passing judgement on others and living life with a sense of peace, love and compassion.

May 2, 2010 at 4:48 am | Report abuse |
  84. David

No David said "we give billions to Arab countries as well as Israel." I was responding to Sean #114

May 2, 2010 at 12:19 am | Report abuse |
  85. Levend

Sean said we give billions to Arab countries you serious? You know why we give billions to Eygpt and Jordan? Its a bribe to keep them friendly with Israel plain and simple. I haven't heard of say Tunisia or Algeria receiving any large sums of money. Wonder why maybe their neighbour isn't Israel could be the reason? Think Eygpt would be so nice if they didn't receive any money? I doubt it. Just think how about it, how much tax payer money is the US giving away now? Thats less roads being built, less jobs being created for what? I just ask the question its up to you think about it. What is the benefits to the US economy? What does the US get out of this deal? Well Greece is promised to be anyones friend if they give them money? That doesn't cut it. We help our friends in need I agree but not forever like in this case

May 2, 2010 at 12:07 am | Report abuse |
  86. David

Sean (#114),
    I am saddend to hear you speak of this country that way. To hear you sit back and shout with keyboard and anonymity towards a country that allows this type of forum because of its foundations in freedom. BTW we give billions to Arab countries as well as Israel. Even President Clinton bombed Afgan training centers because he knew of their plans. Radical Islam is never going to be at peace with anyone who does not submit to it. They are taught to eliminate those who disagree! What was the difference between the responses after offensive drawings of Mohamed and the Urin on the picture of Jesus? People died and violent riots because of the offense against Islam. But what did Christians do? Prayed, commented in forums like this, voiced their oppinion in other ways because of the freedoms their communities have built.
    I am so glad I live in this country and served in the Army... I have been to Egypt and other places where freedom is just a desire that many don't even understand. Where real poverty exists.... If you don't like this country, do something about through the wonderful system we have and the freedoms you enjoy...
    Just remember to honor those whos vision brought it and whos lives bought it....

May 1, 2010 at 11:36 pm | Report abuse |
  87. AK

Daniel....right-wing thugs? you mean like Napolitano...Holdren....Holder.....Sunstein....Clinton...Obama....those right-wing tg hugs?

Is it 2009 yet> Yes it is....yes we can....yes we did....and still there we are.....

May 1, 2010 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Sol

Freddie K, your 'tenants' (you meant 'tenets') are simpleminded and unrealistic. Glad you aren't in Congress (or are you?)

May 1, 2010 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse |
  89. jon

I agree we need to get out of this area for only one reason. They kill each other faster and more efficient than we ever could kill them ourselves. Third world hell that they made- let them have it. Let I slam grow strong there and they will kill each other fast and without our help like thye have for the last thousand years.

May 1, 2010 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
  90. sean

Advice to Americans – sort your own backyard out before you try to work on someone elses. The quality of what you can offer the world is summed up in the southern states as the failure to respond to Katrina and your absolute FAILURE with the current oil spill. You "saved" the afghanis from the soviets only to be turned upon by them – go figure. America is the sickest country of the world because it cannot see how useless it is. Your 'democracy" fuels the arab rage – as it is the same "democracy" that feeds the hand of israel.

May 1, 2010 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
  91. i am fox

Hey, Hey Mehsud.
    Let you go, whew.
    Fighting again?
    I guess we let you go too soon.

May 1, 2010 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
  92. Chris t

SERIOUSLY, take abreath or two, laugh once, and just be nice to the next people you interact with. we'll get there. whether you believe numbers are god or one all powerful, try to be happy. If you must, make fun of me. laugh again, its good for you

May 1, 2010 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
  93. J

You guys need to get a grip. Absolutely unnecessary to sit here bashing people that aren't around to defend themselves. 1. It's a sign of your character. 2. If you don't like him nobody is making you watch or interact with him. 3. Back to 1 – stop being spineless.

May 1, 2010 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
  94. craig

What in the hell does Billy Graham have to do with this article? Is that the Christian of the week for leftists to throw up in defense of the barbaric practices of Islamic fanatics? For those carping about "right wing thugs" keeping US troops in Afghanistan, the Democrats took over both houses of Congress in 06, and for some strange reason the anti-war protests seemed to drop way off after 08. Gee, I can't imagine why that would be.

May 1, 2010 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
  95. sb

I read and then re-read "Reminders of Hell for 1,000 Men". I was sure I had misread the article. For the life of me I could not find one mention of Billy Graham. Nothing about Christianity. All I can think is that I must be having a senior moment because of all the references to Billy Graham and Christianity, etc., I couldn't find Graham's name or anything about God anywhere. Oh well, that's ok. It appears that one can pick any topic to air their differences whether it applies to the subject or not. So what the heck – here we go! If you don't like Billy Graham – then don't listen to him. If you don't believe the Bible – then don't read it and don't criticize people who do. If you are a non-believe then why on earth does paying a tenth to God bother you? Your non-belief does not mean ithe Bible isn't the word of God – nor does it mean paying a tenth of your income is wrong. I may not believe in Islam, Muslim, Buddah, etc., but the bottom line is no matter what race or religion you attach yourself to we are all human beings and deserve to to be treated with respect. If the ones that are so against the Bible would go back and read Genesis (in the Beginning) you would find God did not make races or religion – he made Man and Woman and everthing else and told them to trust Him as their Maker . Surprise, suprise.

May 1, 2010 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  96. Anonymous

Now all we have to see what is left on the walls of Abu Gharib and various other US Secret Prisons around the world. Both the sides are the same. It seems they are racing to show who is more barbaric

May 1, 2010 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  97. Rahim Abdullah

As-Salāmu `Alaykum (السلام عليكم),

Maybe everyone should just back off a little, and let the 'good' Muslim's take care of the 'bad' Muslims that have given our faith a bad name. Since 99% of the 'Christians' do not understand Islam, then Muslims would not expect Christians to possibly understand how to deal with the Taliban or other extremist that violate the Koran by inovations and misinterpretations.

Now if you will excuse me, I will shower my wife and children with love and effection and praise God for the gifted joy they are to me.

May 1, 2010 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Dale

Religions and god are multi-billion dollar business ventures, has been since it was dreamed up.

May 1, 2010 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  99. Emile Zola

For Mikewoodring. I can tell you are protestant that believes that Christ came to this Earth to teach the gospel of prosperity. If you believe this, please, call me I have a bridge in Brooklyn for sale. When people cherry pick parts of a comment and concentrate on what they can spin to fit their agenda, they are fooling anybody. Maybe themselves, but no one else. How come you fail to address the living in luxury and adoring the almight dollar. I guess is because it is too close for comfort. Pastors who become rich and those who defende them because they are giving crumbs to the poor is the same as Cain and Able. Cain, the "Christians" pastors offer the left overs that they give to the poor to appear good, just like the pharisees of Jesus' era. Able gave the best of his holdings and that is why God preferred him. I believe this was the cause for the first homicde. Also, how convenient that you fail to mention what Christ, Himself, said about how hard, I call it impossible, for a rich person to get to the kingdom og God and I don't know about you and your kind of people, Billy, Falwell, Robertson, et al, merchants of religion are rich. Preaching doesn't buy you a seat in heaven, deeds do and they really lack the deeds. Trying to look like the are "Chrisitians" by helping the poor with left overs are not what we could call good geeds. Several "Christian" organizations collect money and appear "good" to men's eyes, but to God they are adorers of the almighty dollar. .05 cents to the dollar instead of appearing "good" to God, it's more like rip off, for humans and to God.

May 1, 2010 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  100. kal3ncbogart

i can prove a perfect and loving god does not exist. billy graham does... perfection and christian evangelical hatemongerers are mutually exclusive. if god existed and wanted us to believe there would still be irrefutable miracles, burning bushes, seas parting, that sort of thing. but there arent, we're a simply supposed to accpect the testimony and political agendas of a bunch of hateful bigots 5000 years dead... by a science textbook and move on. you wanna waste your time begging the fictional for help i guess thats ok, but dont waste the time of people who arent as stupid as you. In short, "Go play, the adul;ts are talking right now".

May 1, 2010 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |